• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gary Farseer

If I had missed the page for the sale of #38. Now I know this is maybe a new rule for sales. Ship subscribers and dont open for sale until the day of release. Not sure if that is true or is it the or some special artwork??? Cant wait to see. I hope it is the poster for these shows, which I have. Will write more later, not wanting to spoil the trip...

Edit: well just checked my farseer email and see the artwork. Not the poster. Email sent 10 minutes ago...

Edit 2: OOOps wrong show poster is for March shows, see old brainism

• Gary Farseer
    JoshbytheBay-Without a Net-Mind Blown Pt 1

I watched a documentary a few days back. I am sure you all have seen on the History Channel the various docs. I cant remember what the title was, and like I have written, memory aint what it used to be. It was on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. I had posted a few years back that on the day off during the NYE1987 run, my friends and I walked to the mid-point of the Golden Gate Bridge and back, somewhere around 10 pm. It was super cold and a strong western wind. In the documentary, it talked about them at one point putting up a net to protect the bridge builders. I also remember a couple of years back that they had a drive to collect money to put another permanent net type device to prevent jumpers. Any way, long story short, I never put it together that the live album, Without a Net, was not just shot in the dark title (about the circus coming to town and the razor's edge of improvisation without a net) but also some San Fran history to boot. Those guys were on top of so much Americana that it is mind blowing.

• snafu
    Default Avatar

I wouldn't worry about a shipping notice. For #36 I never received one but it came the usual 4 days after date like all the others. Come to think of it a notice has been an iffy thing. More than a couple of times I didn't get one yet it came nonetheless.

• Vguy72

....I want that glass.

• icecrmcnkd

Get out of bed, brew some GD tea, and upload that chat.

• 1stshow70878

No worries Jimbobwe and Proudfoot. Keep the faith. I was thinking the same then got my shipping notice here in Colorado this week showing Monday 5-3 for delivery. You never know. My July '78 box is #36/15,000.
    Cheers!

• proudfoot
    I haven't received a shipping notice yet, either

What, me worry?

With all the versions of "The Shipping Blues" in the past, one might.

Give it until at least next Friday before any panicking.

No, I am still not a robot.

• Jimbobwe

MDA - I also live in Colorado and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation email...we must be the last batch of subscriptions to ship. Hopefully we hear something soon.

• MDA
    Default Avatar

I have been seeing that a bunch of people have had their 38s for a few days now. I’m sitting here in Colorado still waiting on a shipping notice. Should I be worried??

• Sixtus_

...I've noticed this same thing on the sound Thin. You've described it pretty well. And, I don't hear a whole ton of Phil either, which usually helps to solidify and round out the overall sound with some deeper depth. Not so much here. I assume it's because of the limitations of a two-track to some extent.

I will say though, the 'Let Me Sing Your Blues Away' caught me surely off guard, where I had to stop and do a double take before a huge grin took over my stolen face. It's a pretty jaunty tune, a shame it was shelved so soon.

Hope Others' are receiving theirs and enjoying the ride - off to get #2 JAB shortly, here's to hoping for no adverse events!

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Couldn't resist. Based on the last 5-6 boxes, fall '72 seems like it's number is up.

Unless DL wishes to unleash a '69 box on us, because, well, Pigpen. They released two '71 shows last year, which sez to me that 1970 tapes are too rare in the Vault to release two for the 50th releases of WD and AB -- and that's sayinig something. (Perhaps a few of the remaining '70 soundboards fit into a Fillmore East/West concept box?)

Trust me, they're not waiting until 2023 to re-release Wake of the Flood.....

You heard it here first, for the past mmm 12 months. Chalk my parrot-like repetition to covid isolation. Yeah, that's my excuse.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Okay, which fall 72 shows will be in the box?

Still think we will finally see 1980 get its due and not the Warfield or Radio City.

And then, there are still those really hot shows from Alpine in the summer of 1989. But, we have had quite a few summer 89 shows released so far.

Well, whatever it is, let's get it out.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

Well, I'll be dad-blamed daverock, had not seen that one. Must not come up much on ebay, that, or I haven't been paying attention. I only recently acquired my Hofheinz vinyl, got the one that had been sitting on the Amazons for so long tempting me. I think One From the Vault might be my next one, they're reasonably priced thus far.

On the 1972 box, just had a thought in regard to the question of which shows: what if they did an evolution of '72 kind of box, with maybe one last Academy of Music show, a July show, August, Sept, October, Nov, and December. That way, they could get 7/10, 8/24, 9/19, 10/18, 11/19, 12/11 all out there. Because Texas in November would be a great medium box, Fox in October would be a great small box, but could make for a really nice best of what's left for that year, and it shows how differently they played all along that year, especially songs like Playing in the Band, and the Phil-o Stomp becoming not just a thing, but a pretty awesome part of big jams. Even Truckin' prior to 3/26/72 DaP 14 had never gone past 15 minutes, that one stretched to 18 into a massive Other One> Me & My Uncle> Other One> Wharf Rat> Sugar Mag. It will also be nice to have another box where in the intro you're left guessing Jack Straw or Black Throated-Wind. Just putting it out there.

user picture

Member for

10 years

pretty much any 5-6 shows from fall '72.

On the Academy of Music side, DL did say that they've released all they're gonna release from that run.

I can conceive of an '81 box from the Euro tours that Sept(?)...

Or ... anything with PIGPEN! Again, what's the format they need to release the last (or best) '67-'68 goodies??? C'mon, give us some primordial GREASE!

Creepy af opening lyrix given our times

A pistol shot at 5 oclock
The bells of heaven ring

7 19 74
A very worthy release

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

I’m trying so hard to get “It's Worth The Trip” ’87 Spring Tour to Celebrate with Our Good Ol’ Grateful Dead brothers. Out there...
To all my brother and sisters out there ...what does your Crystal Ball look like?!
...I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s thoughts, hopes & Dreams of the next Boxset, thoughts like could it be an Annaversary release or a Part Too or did I mean releasepartially Frozen in Time . already finished and almost done thawing out and revealing items coming made buyable will continue to forge its tracks with an extraordinary box set landing soon! ;)
🙏❤️💀🌹
Take care & keep on truck’n...Ladies & gentlemen! 💀🌹

To celebrate The 50th anniversary of the cassette tape, GDP will release a collection of early 1980s cassette masters; now check this out, the best part of it is, the set will be available on cassette only, with handwritten song lists and security tabs intact, should you want to tape over a show. But that ain't all!...the tapes will be housed in a large sturdy cardboard Maxell II repro box, that opens just like a regular cassette. All shows recorded with Dolby C noise reduction.
Announcement later this week - This item will go fast.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

Europe 81 would be very nice. I would prefer the Fall shows but Spring would also be welcomed. Dear Dave it is time throw our European friends a bone!

And in true Dead.net fashion it would be exactly perfect for the European orders to arrive late.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

I predict that nobody, including myself, will actually predict what it really is and that everybody will be very surprised by what it is when it is released.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kid

and then some will start complaining

wrong year
wrong shows
wrong packaging
wrong artwork
wrong price
wrong band members
wrong release date

and then we will need sympathy for the poor souls who sing the shipping blues

ever see Beetlejuice movie? there's a scene where they look into a room of lost souls...I don't remember why they wind up in there, but that's what I think of when people have shipping problems.

and

the last GD show I was lysergic at was 5/25/95

listening to that show now
not a lot of memories of that all

except He's Gone and The Wheel and Throwin' Stones (oh maaaan...not TS!) and Quinn the Eskimo

oh, and then the after-party with Bear's Choice. That album made A LOT of sense that night, my good people.

:)))

I predict that even with everything about the boxset being wrong, almost all of us will still order it. After all we can’t complain about the shipping if we don’t place the order.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

7/13/84. Dark Star, 8/28/82. Duprees, 4/28/85. She Belongs to Me, 6/2/95. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. I heard them do We bid you Goodnight at some show at the Oakland Coliseum, that was cool.

I saw that 7/13 Dark Star coming from a mile away.. Like a royal straight flush, when all I got is two pair, 3's are high. Can we hear it for the most Day Job encore's as an honorable mention?

Since it cost a lot to win....

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

You in Boulder county?

I just saw the story

:_(((

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

I think LMG is saying it's a Spring tour anniversary box! "Take care & keep on truck’n...Ladies & gentlemen!"

Spring '71 Ladies and Gentlemen Fillmore East Complete Recording's Box, Truckin' opens set 1 of the 4/25.

Then this Fall will be ABCD release of Complete Winterland Oct. '78.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Arapahoe County, south of Denver.

It's Hendrix ... FREAK, not merely "fan."

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Wave that Flag, HendrixFreak! :-)

P.S. Watch your Parking Meters.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by wilfredtjones

so weather today is calling for 3 - 5 inches of snow today...in honor of Akira Kurosawa's 111th Birthday Anniversary I will watch "The Hidden Fortress" from 1958...and since the forecast is snow all week I'll probably get my annual watch of "Seven Samurai" in too...

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by nappyrags

What are some of your fave Jimi boots?

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Like everyone else, it seems I'm just killing time until the next Seaside Chat/Announcement. So I will come clean and admit that I am not on the same level as most on here, not because I don't love the Dead(I do!!), just that because I have so many musical loves, it's hard for me to dedicate too much time on any one band(hats off to HENDRIXFREAK).
So, I am probably the last one here to recognize that the Dick's Picks #26, at least the first show(Chicago) was also the "What's Become Of The Baby" show. I only know this now because I was lucky enough to get a copy of the whole show. And what a show it is!! As always, It's great to hear the entire show in order, to get a better feel of the show + audience reaction. Also, I was listening to the bonus disc from 2018, Dec. '71 last night, and whether the songs are in order or not, I'm sure Doc would agree, it's pretty damn great!!
So, It's great to be able to share my views, even if they may not be(are not) as informed as some of the other folks on here.

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

10 years

Bought Smash Hits in the summer of '69, after considering the option of a Tommy James and the Shondells LP. A historically enriching choice. One listen to "Red House" and I was dyed in the wool. Crushed by Jimi's passing in Sept '70. Never got to see him. Have been on a 50+ year collecting jag, along with friends both local and spread across the world. Of course, we no longer breathlessly send and receive pkgs of cassettes... In fact, I don't trade at all anymore. But stuff still arrives. ("You gotta have this recording!!")

Nappy, I have shelves that sag with Jimi CDs, official and boot. So that's a tough question. There are "official" bootlegs by the family (Experience Hendrix) on Dagger Records, there are actual bootlegs I collected between ~late '80s and '90s, then there are digital files that circulate globally, burned to CD. I'll try to name a couple per year. These are mostly the "Goldilocks" shows -- performance and sound quality are just right.

18 Oct '66/Paris -- Whoopy Cat
11 Sept '67/Stockholm -- Whoopy Cat
4 Feb '68/San Francisco -- Dagger
10 March '68/Ottawa -- Dagger, superceded by pitch-corrected digital trading file
10-12 Oct/San Francisco (winterland) -- some official releases, all 3 nights out on digital trading file
9 January '69/Stockholm -- Swinging Pig
27 April '69/Oakland -- Dagger
25 April '70/LA Forum -- Whoopy Cat, superceded by digital trading file

We've (me and my multiple personalities) probably have everything that circulates globally, from some live pre-Experience days ('65-'66) to his last show. Plus hundreds and hundreds of hours of studio material. He was just hitting his stride when it all ended. Sometimes it's the most beautiful music you're gonna hear; other times, it's downright painful. So I listen when I'm in the 'right' frame of mind, meaning it's beautiful. Caveat: I won't send stuff out, as I'm too enmeshed in current projects and it's all (or mostly) available to the determined seeker.

No Dark Stars or Duprees but;
after 17 US Blues, 13 Brokedowns, 12 Baby Blues, (several paired), 10 Quinn’s, 8 Heaven’s Door, 7 Black Muddy, 5 JBG (including 1>> Baby Blue on 6/27/85, and 1>> Black Muddy on 4/3/89), 4 Box O Rain (including the last one outta Black Muddy on 7/9/95), 4 Day Jobs, 4 One Mo Saturday (including 1>> Baby Blue 6/28/86), and;
NFA: 4 including 6-25-88>> Heavens Door, 4-29-86 >> US Blues, and one of my most memorable on 4/12/83 when they did the whole slow NFA fade out until only hand claps to end the show, then one at a time just as they left, they returned starting with Mickey working off the crowds claps, and slowly built back up into NFA followed by Baby Blue for my first Double Encore! Didn’t see that coming! Nobody left, the crowd was stunned...

SATISFACTION; 4 5/17/81 & 11/8/85 were singles, with 6/24/84 & 7/1/85 combined into Baby Blue SWEET!
THE WEIGHT 3: 6/17/90, 9/4/91, 7/31/94
BABA ORILEY/TNK 2: 6/6/92, 7/1/92
TOUCH 2: 5/17/84, 6/26/87
MIDNIGHT HOUR 2: 11/7/85, 6/24/86
REVOLUTION 2: 10/22/83, 10/20/84
WE BID GOODNIGHT 2: 10/9/89, 3/24/90
DONT EASE 1: 3/13/81
IFTL 1: 6/13/93
LIBERTY 1: 8/1/94
LAST TIME 1: 6/10/90
GLORIA 1: 6/30/95
ALABAMA 1: 9/2/80
ATTICS 1: 10/9/89
NEW ORLEANS>>BIG BOSS MAN>>IKO 6/21/84

user picture

Member for

10 years

during my workout. Caught two discs of 5-21-77. Man, that is some smokin' GD. Dick sure had good ears.

user picture

Member for

10 years

to take some overlooked GD selections and give 'em a good spin. For ex, I glanced at DPs on eBay and noticed DP 26 -- 11-17-71... Man, how did I miss getting that one? Um, I didn't. I pulled it off the shelf and promised myself I'd treat myself to a few packed discs of that classic '71 song-heavy rotation and shows that STARTED with Truckin' and have that pre-Euro '72 sound.

Spark up, crack open a Spaten Oktoberfest and get back to groovin'.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

...this is some Primo Grateful Dead!!! 🙏❤️💀🌹🤠
*** https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L6mdZff8rI0&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3a1n…
January 23 & 24, 1970
Honolulu Civic Auditorium - Honolulu, Hawaii

January 23, 1970:
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Black Peter
Hard to Handle
Mama Tried
Dire Wolf
Good Lovin'
Cryptical Envelopment
Drums
The Other One
Cryptical Envelopment
Dark Star
St. Stephen
Turn On Your Lovelight

January 24, 1970:
Cumberland Blues
Cold Rain and Snow
Me and My Uncle
I'm a King Bee
Mason's Children
Black Peter
Good Lovin'
Feedback
And We Bid You Goodnight
Dancing in the Street

Tom Constanten – keyboards
Jerry Garcia – guitar, vocals
Mickey Hart – drums
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
Ron "Pigpen" McKernan – harmonica, percussion, vocals
Bob Weir – guitar, vocals

Recording by Owsley Stanley

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…………….

March 24, 1971
Winterland, San Francisco, California

Set 1: Greatest Story Ever Told >Johnny B. Goode-Next Time You See Me-Loser-Truckin ->drums ->The Other One-Bertha-Sugar Magnolia-I'm A King Bee-Beat It On Down The Line

Set 2: Casey Jones-Hard To Handle-Playing In The Band-Not Fade Away ->Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->Not Fade Away

Encore: Uncle John's Band

The Dead return home after a short tour of the heartland.

Another show that only rarely gets discussed. It’s a powerhouse, at times uneven, but with some really sublime moments, including the jam within Truckin’, The Other One (which takes us to many different places), and Hard To Handle. In many ways, it sounds more akin to the powerhouse material that was to come in April, than to the material previously played in March. Did the Dead crank up their game for their home town crowd? Judging from the reaction of the crowd after the fine Uncle John’s Band encore, this show was very well received at the time………………………….

Rock on!!

Doc
He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home…….

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

40 years ago this evening I was perched in the balcony of The Rainbow Theatre in London looking down on a stage full of The Grateful Dead. A lot of its lost in the mists of time, but they opened with a stellar Mississippi Half Step-Franklins. I've just listened to this again, and although I would prefer a box of 1969 or 1972, maybe one of these European shows wouldn't be such a bad idea. They could chuck in the dvd of Essen as well.

user picture

Member for

10 years

I'm always curious... so how did the London crowd dig the GD in March '81? Were there noticeable numbers of Americans? Folks off the continent? Or did it feel like Londoners all the way? Much chatter with your seat mates on whether they'd ever seen the band? Anyone say they caught them in '72? And how was the crowd reaction?

I think '81 has some mighty hot shows.

i checked out the first set yesterday and will hear the short second set later today, the sound of the miller recording on the archive is awesome, crunchy gtrs, crisp drums, bouncy bass, and no audible keyboards, they claim early on that they have pigpen but forgot the organ, kinda hard to believe in their hometown, but maybe due to the Sufi Choir opener thing there just wasnt room for it? anyway its a powerful great sounding show even if heavy on the rock and light on the space, however the other one does go to unique places, after the incredible proto truckin>other one on 3-18-71 this is an interesting alternate version in a first set, unfortunately the last 4 min of th 17 min track is post other one tuning so its not as long as it appears, dead lists has the song order all wrong but the wrong sequence kinda more resembles a typical show, i wonder how it could have happened, possibly mistook which reel was which?

I was at two of the March London '81 shows, Saturday and Tuesday, 18 years old and my first Dead shows. The crowd was primarily British, a few European heads who had travelled over, very few Americans. The audience seemed to be split between people who had seen them in 72 and 74, and a few earlier, and people like me there for the first time. The was lots of interest in seeing them in '81 as they had previously cancelled shows in '76, '77 and '78. The venue was rammed and the band were very well received. Quite alot of UK heads got on the bus at these shows and are still riding it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Good point Thin. The missing Johnny B Good encore from 7/21/71 is on 'Fillmore: The Last Days'. It's worth the price of admission just for Jerry's, "Alright folks, here's the one it's all about." Zips me right back to my freshman dorm in the swirling mists of 1971. Onward.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I just googled this - I have NEVER in my life seen or heard of this recording. How is that possible? Mind blown.

I was lucky that way back in 90 or so, that film was screened somewhere here in town.

I listened politely to the other acts, but was waiting for the GD.

I was amazed to see them on film from 71.

Casey Jones and JBG

Sorry, Hendrixfreak, I don't have much more to add I'm afraid. Back in 1981 I was silent to the point of being eccentric, so I didn't speak to anybody at the show. I don't remember there being a significant American presence-certainly nothing like 1990, when Wembley and the surrounding area was taken over by American Deadheads-even on the tube there seemed to be more Deadheads than anyone else. I don't remember the atmosphere in 1981 as being substantially different from any other concerts I saw around that time. It was obviously different from the post punk gigs I saw around that time, but for bands operating in a similar space/time continuum-Spirit, for example- the vibe wasn't that different. I enjoyed it hugely...but I don't have the evidence to support the claim!

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Remember a few weeks back, when I reported receiving an empty mailer that was supposed to contain the latest 45? I e-mailed GD Customer Service, and received a reply within a few moments, a reply that a replacement was being shipped. Today, the replacement 45 arrived, safe and sound! I still feel for those who haven't had good service, but I am pleased.

Jazz fans--Data Lords by Maria Schneider. Came out last year. Wowie. Get it! Beautiful packaging, too.

If you thought you didn't like Classical, well, just get some green and sit in a dark room listening to Shostakovich's string quartets. Wowie again.

Or give Ghost Stories by the Smith Quartet a concentrated listen. Yowza.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

Dave rock lots of American deadheads came to north London in 1990 many made the trip , we British heads made the same trip

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html