Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
    Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
    San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
    Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
    Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
    Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
    Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sick Bird '67
    Default Avatar

Purchased the ALAC digital download since the discs were unavailable. Many of the dowloaded tracks have dead air.

I have purchased many of the box sets over the years and never have I run into so many issues. Disapointed to see so many other devotees with similar issues. Hope this gets resolved soon. The set lists are awsome and I can not wait to kick back and listen.

• stillwaters

It's on sale, but it's not available? What's up with that?

• daverock

Sydney - why should you be expected to send faulty discs back? You have said they are faulty - that should be enough for them. Don't they believe us if we say discs are faulty? A little respect would be nice - do they think you might be trying to pull a fast one? Ridiculous.

• dmcvt

Wow, given the recent comments, who would have thought that the HCS box would be available for $140, listed in the Black Friday sale. That means they should/must have shipped any replacement discs for faulty or damaged at no cost BEFORE they sell another set... Had to jump through three Hey Now hoops to post this... talk about Lost Sailor...

• Sydney Prentice
    Default Avatar

No one has offered me a refund,they just sent me more faulty discs that don't play.It will cost me even more to send this back,I can't see them refunding all the postage & import fees that I had to shell out.

• 1stshow70878

They cannot get you replacement discs but they can put the set on sale for $140.23 in their holiday sale? Hey now on that.
    Cheers

• daverock

Surely they should refund people the full amount they paid for it if it isn't perfect.

• Jaysspacedhead

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
    WMG Specialty Customer Service

• marye
    send me a PM!
  • phantomengineer
    Default Avatar

Mary, belatedly can I contact you about an issue with the discs on this one, and can you remind me how I do such...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Five complete, previously unreleased performances on 17CDs
Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Happy Will

And it doesn’t look like $70 worth of postage IMHO. Jeez I’m becoming an old whinging pensioner.

Box looks fairly compact. Agree the postage seems high. This is going to be an awesome box. Think hard about getting caught outside looking in simply over some postage. Less than 1000 left. I'd smash the "Buy" button. Don't think you'll regret it in the long run.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Happy Will

I was thinking this morning, that if they want to put extraneous gifts in box sets, something useful would be appreciated. A couple of pairs of socks would come in handy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

A couple of pair of socks, ruthless!

I agree for the most part I want standardized box sizes to make storage more manageable. I also understand, though, that some of this stuff provides income for other artists. For one, I havent ordered one glass or shirt or playing cards. Looking at deadandcompany site, I think their tshirts are more my style. The last tour tie-dye has me thinking about pulling the trigger, even though my last (GD) show was 34 years ago. Have seen Bob and Ratdog and Phil and Friends shows.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by daverock

I'm always hoping to find a little paper in there...

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Stillwaters wants a downloadable version of the Mickey Hart mix of Workingman's Dead and Garcia (50th Anniversary Edition)!!!

Stillwaters is getting upset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by stillwaters

....I liked the tickets that came in the Spring '90 boxes.
Spinning Dicks 28 SLC 2.28.73.
New box image looks tight!

user picture

Member for

1 year 2 months

Super stoked for this box set.
Recordings from 73 and 74 always used to be hit or miss with me.
Most sounded flat and the vocals were paper thin (especially the 74 WoS tapes).
But the Winterland 73 box was a revelation.
As was Dave's Picks 5.
Now quite a few 73 (and 74) shows have become some of my favorite repeat plays.
Looks like it'll be arriving close to my birthday, too.
A week off + new GD box set = bliss.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by BedHead77

Fingers crossed for safe arrival, and no defective, damaged, or missing discs.

Based on the photo, the CD’s in cardboard sleeves suggests that the Box won’t be as tall as the May 77 or July 78 Boxes, maybe a little bigger than the wooden Warlocks 89 Box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Nothing from dead.net yet, but UPS has notified me that my shipment from WEA Gnarlywood is on the way and is scheduled for delivery next Friday. Yeaaaaah boy!! Bring it!!!

I also got an email from UPS that I have a package coming from Gnarlywood to be delivered by 6/30.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....notifications coming out already? 🥳.
Gnarly.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

…though we tried/hopefully to upgrade to just UPS so we don’t have to deal with our PO nightmare 🤞
It’d be sweet: 73 box o dead and D&C steaming 3 nights. Proper holidaze 🤞

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

So happy. I feel like, in the past, Dead products have shipped on the release date, or after the release date. Great news. I enjoy all the releases, but I’m really looking forward to this boxed set.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 months 4 weeks

TheRelayer74: Hi everyone I am new to the site and I wish to buy the Here Comes Sunshine cd box set I have not set up an account yet and I am from the UK I wish to know if there are any problems shipping to the UK from the online store what service they use and what are the possible postal charges many thanks Kevin

Go to the thread on Steve Hoffman Forums about this set.You will come across a code that gives you a 25% discount and reduces international shipping charges by 75%.It was still working a few days ago.
Bear in mind you unlucky Poms get hit with outrageous customs duty charges.

Things like that are quite annoying. These things are expensive if you live in England - or anywhere else outside the U.S. come to that. Why they have to play these sort of games I'll never know. Offer a discount or don't, surely.

Having said that, I have always been impressed with customer service on here. The boxes and cds are always well packed, and while they seem to take a long time to arrive, it just seems like that because Americans get there's, and review them right away. You are then expecting yours in a day or so. And it obviously takes a bit longer to get to where I am than somewhere in California. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Occasionally a cd or L.P. is faulty - but very rarely. Only once in both instances for me. And on both occasions, I got replacement discs sent out. Again, living a long way out, it might seem to take a while before they turn up - but turn up they do.

There are hidden costs with duty, import charges etc, and these seem to vary depending on where you live in England, which is a bit odd. These box sets are appreciably more expensive than any others I buy. As are the Dave's Picks.

I've ordered this set. If you like 1973, and can afford it - way to go. As was said earlier, all box sets have shows, or parts of shows that are less than stellar. They all add to the whole, though. I'm waffling so I'll go! But that'y my experience in a nutshell.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I noticed my order says cd and vinyl shipping at same time, but web page says 7/28?!

Opinions

I upgraded to UPS Ground for $7.99.
I decided that this Box is too important to be passed off to USPS.
UPS has to recalculate the delivery date, so I don’t know yet when that will be. But it better be before the day that was estimated for USPS delivery.

International shipping/running out of shelf space:
It is being offered as a download.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

Apparently it's been waiting for me at home since yesterday in San Dimas, CA. I'm out of town until monday night....just gotta wait a couple of more days. Hope yall get yours soon!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 6 months

Since HST was collected on this set along with shipping to Canada I’m hopeful UPS will not be able to charge me any extra fees as there should not be any tax for them to collect?

....thats gotta be a record.
#9773.
Measures 10×10×3 btw. Tad larger than the GSTL box.
And....it's beautiful.
First stop? The Hawkeye State.
No spoilers, but it comes with a couple of unexpected treats.
I'm putting one of them to good use already.
And no. It's not 4 way windowpane.
'Cries in fractal visuals'....

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

...out by the mailbox. #5711 is ready for action. Glad it didn't rain last night.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

i only ordered this on friday 6/23...got a confirmation but tried using the order number to find the status but it says no such order exists should i call them? amazingly it reads as though some have received this already in CA i persume.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The 4CD release doesn't seem to have a comment section.
Ordered the first day and my confirmation says release date 6-30-23.
Store page lists release date as 7-28-23. Which is it I wonder?
Guess I'll find out eventually. Good to see the box is shipping on time for once.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

The June release date is for cd. July is for vinyl. This has become a common practice lately.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....is worth two in the hand.
Re; The Sound?
Same as it always was. Pristine. Although, there are a couple tracks so far that have that reverberation/echoey/tinny thing that I've heard on other '73 releases at the start of early set songs. I wonder 🤔 what that is?
(I'm through Iowa and Santa Barbara so far.)

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

Tracking number created, via UPS, so a day or two before delivery date prediction. Down in the flood up here in Vermont, deluges on the hour. Listening to first night of Dead&Co. at Fenway, lovely.

They've had my money almost 2 months. No shipping notice yet. Papa Bear, have I been a bad boy?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Gary, this is happening to you because you skipped past that "Victim" the other night . . . :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Same boat as Gary Ordered 2 May but no shipping notice or email from dead net. Nothing on my UPS account. Logged in and its "IN Progress". I guess i should've paid the express shipping in stead of standard . BAd boys forever

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

The box isn't even officially released until Friday . . . same day as the newest GarciaLive!

There's some newly-remastered Dixie Chicken and Sailin' Shoes CDs this month, each one complete with outtakes and live material. Those (like this box of Sunshine) are also through Rhino, who really take care of us folks who love old and/or obscure rock-n-roll.

I always can be wrong, but, my calendar say 7/31 on Jerry stuff.?!..

The Little Feat stuff,,,, out takes are always a crap shoot, interesting one was a demo of Easy to Slip for, get this, The Doobie Brothers! Two remastered originals,,,, I can't hear a difference from memory of albums,,, they sound good. I wanted for the two live shows,,, be warned they're short shows.

Anybody have thoughts about the stones re-re-releasing 40 licks,,,, 4 lp set, price ok,,,,, thinks it's worth having?

I did order from Real Gone Records Rupert Holmes porno sound tracks! Hoping to be one of the first 200 so I get a signed copy!

..... If You Like Pina Coladas and listening to porn,,,, then you must be blind?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Get the Little Feat WFC Box if you don’t have it.

I’m looking forward to the remastered Ziggy Stardust Blu-ray and soundtrack.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I'm looking forward to the new box set of the first few albums by the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - due out tomorrow. Legendary L.A psych band from the 60's.

I'm also wavering about the Jimi Hendrix At Winterland October 1968 box, which came out over 10 years ago. Prior to it's release, I got a grey area box called "3 Nights at Winterland", on Reclamation Records, which, unlike the official box, features all 6 shows. I have always assumed the Experience Hendrix official box has better sound - and now it's getting harder to find I am thinking perhaps I should snap up a copy before it disappears altogether.
Maybe I should just be satisfied with what I've got - apart from three songs, the one I've got sounds like an official release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Thanks for the heads up Dave on the new Artex box.
I just put on my Childs Guide tee and pressed buy!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Received my notification last night. UPS Surepost! Why?
Conekid, I know you are an expert in this area, so is there anyway to change this to a straight UPS delivery and aviod the USPS part. I logged on to my UPS account but do not see an option to change it.
Appreciate any help you could provide.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

DEADVIKES go into your UPS account and when you track your package ( Dead 73 box ) there will be an option to upgrade delivery change it to UPS GROUND I did and it skips the USPS transfer and I got it one day faster it will cost $6.99

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/here-comes-sunshine/here-comes-sunshine-1973-dead.net-exclusive-[17-cd]/081227847036.html