Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
    Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
    San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
    Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
    Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
    Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
    Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sick Bird '67
    Default Avatar

Purchased the ALAC digital download since the discs were unavailable. Many of the dowloaded tracks have dead air.

I have purchased many of the box sets over the years and never have I run into so many issues. Disapointed to see so many other devotees with similar issues. Hope this gets resolved soon. The set lists are awsome and I can not wait to kick back and listen.

• stillwaters

It's on sale, but it's not available? What's up with that?

• daverock

Sydney - why should you be expected to send faulty discs back? You have said they are faulty - that should be enough for them. Don't they believe us if we say discs are faulty? A little respect would be nice - do they think you might be trying to pull a fast one? Ridiculous.

• dmcvt

Wow, given the recent comments, who would have thought that the HCS box would be available for $140, listed in the Black Friday sale. That means they should/must have shipped any replacement discs for faulty or damaged at no cost BEFORE they sell another set... Had to jump through three Hey Now hoops to post this... talk about Lost Sailor...

• Sydney Prentice
    Default Avatar

No one has offered me a refund,they just sent me more faulty discs that don't play.It will cost me even more to send this back,I can't see them refunding all the postage & import fees that I had to shell out.

• 1stshow70878

They cannot get you replacement discs but they can put the set on sale for $140.23 in their holiday sale? Hey now on that.
    Cheers

• daverock

Surely they should refund people the full amount they paid for it if it isn't perfect.

• Jaysspacedhead

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
    WMG Specialty Customer Service

• marye
    send me a PM!
  • phantomengineer
    Default Avatar

Mary, belatedly can I contact you about an issue with the discs on this one, and can you remind me how I do such...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Five complete, previously unreleased performances on 17CDs
Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Any of the other Bama peeps been able to get a sales tax to come up and get your order through yet? I'm still stuck and sad. Fingers crossed it can get fixed.

@Amosesmoses I’ve messaged admin and they messaged the tech department, so hopefully a fix will be soon. I would like to order the box set too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by SWR

....Alabama heads can't order because of a sales tax snafu?
I've been here for a long time. Seen some weird shit. But that's a first.

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

@VGUY72 I think this is something new. I bought the sub for this years Dave’s Picks back in October or November and until this box set was available I have never had trouble ordering from dead.net.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

Seven weeks and six days until....I start complaining about shipping again.

Checking out at the store got worse after the update.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks for your efforts SWR…hopefully we get some resolution soon!

I also subscribed to Dave’s a few months ago and didn’t have any issues back then.

Late Spring '73 was a "Dream Box", my answer in those what-box-do-you-want-to-see regular go-arounds. Did I think it really had a chance? Not really. As in, "No Way." Kezar stand alone seemed likely. I figured the attorneys would sort out 6/10 but good chance 6/9 and 6/10 would get spun out in some other release. And yet here we are - late Spring '73 - Des Moines, Santa Barbara, Kezar, RFK - straight run, in all its glory. Unfreaking real. Thank you Dave, and all others driving this train, for your guiding hand and vision. We are so lucky!!

So the show that in some way underpinned this box concept, for me, was Des Moines. Many years ago I fell in love with the idea that the GD would play a venue like the Iowa State Fairgrounds on a June day, say like 6/16/74, and a somewhat blustery day based on Bob's shirt early in the show, and lay down a complete brain-melt show out in the greater corn field Midwest. And many awhile later I learned they had played the Fairgrounds a year earlier on 5/13/73. I got to know the jam sequence from 5/13 winter of 2010/11 on a regular night time canyon country drive to and from Escalante for a project. 11/11/73 Disc 3 was also in that rotation. Great deep space driving music. Got you safely where you needed to go. And later I got to thinking that Des Moines '73 should be released and I envisioned it as part of a box - and so it is.

And a curious 5/13 Garcia guitar fact - he played 3 diff electric guitars (only known show) - Alligator, Erlewine "Numbers" Strat, and the 1st Irwin "Eagle" (thank you DeadEssays).

Take care everyone. May your beer be cold and tasty, be it kin to a Tank Slapper Double Rye, a Desert Fog, a Rupture, or a Bud Light. All good.

user picture

Member for

4 years

Noticed on another forum someone had pasted their charges with the $30 discount applied from the code…but they were also charged $14 and change for shipping.

If you sign in and order it removes the $14 shipping charge, but the code will not work.

In other words, we’re paying about the same as if we used the code. Yes?

....or have some rec'd both discounts?

Wake of the flood, laughing water, 49
Get out the pans, don't just stand there dreaming, get out the way
Get out the way

Here comes sunshine
Here comes sunshine

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by jp1119

....is what I was charged. I hate math.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Giving out discount codes to some but not all.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Please sometime today raise a glass or at least a positive thought for my friend Craig...I found out today that he died last Sunday. He had talked FOR YEARS about wanting 5/13/73 getting the official release treatment.

He also made (and gave) me a loooooot of discs over the years.

Here's to you, Craig. Rock in peace.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Arrived Friday night. I love this release! In a word: Lazy. It feels slow and lazy to me like the band got all hashed out or down or something before going on. Not the tightest show but a clear mix and this is why I love the Dead so much, variety and lack of perfection. Which suits me perfectly.

On the fence with the Aerosmith tickets, they're charging way too much, but taking the Crowes out with them and it will be the last time to see them, unless another Vega$ residency pops up. How funny when I was growing up Vegas was where they put Elvis out to pasture and all the rat packers... now it's where old rock bands go to get rich and die.

Last five:

Grateful Dead: Dave's Picks 46 (second listen as of this post)
Metallica: 72 Seasons (last song my favorite I dig metal but not thrash)
Stevie Wonder: At the Close of a Century (disc two)
Linda Ronstadt: The Best of Linda Ronstadt, the Capitol Years
Deep Purple: Burn (Expanded & Remastered)

\m/

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Dry your eyes and take your song out
It's a newborn afternoon
And if you can't recall the singer
You can still recall the tune

Dry your eyes and play it slowly
Like you're marching off to war
Sing it like you know he'd want it
Like we sang it once before

And from the center of the circle
To the midst of the waiting crowd
If it ever be forgotten
Sing it long and sing it loud
And come dry your eyes

And it taught us more about giving
Than we ever cared to know
But we came to find the secret
And we never let it go

And it was more than being holy
Oh it was less than being free
And if you can't recall the reason
Can you hear the people sing

Right through the lightning and the thunder
To the dark side of the moon
To that distant falling angel
That descended much too soon
And come dry your eyes

Come dry your eyes

Sorry, but this has been in my head all morning.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I just ordered the box and attempted to order the t-shirt that's supposed to drop on 6/30 with the box. Only size small and medium available??? WTF!

I've been hanging out here and ordering ALL releases since day 1 (don't let the avatar date fool you) and it is AMAZING how screwed up it is!!!

Rant over! have a great day, gang

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Woo hoo!! Was able to order to an Alabama shipping address this morning. Now I can stop mucking up this board with complaints and start getting excited for the new jazzy one-drummer '73 Dead!

Nice job Fourwinds.

Hey Mikey, someone has to tell the Leafs
1) their not the Sabres
2) and/so they need to play ALL 60 minutes….arrrrrrggggghhhhh
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted…sorry homey

Interesting, no SBDs for 6/18/83? Still can’t believe I didn’t go to this one….idiot

And may the four winds blow Graig safely home to the big 73 jam in the beyound!

Aaaaannnd,
Great News Amos!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Just wanted to be the first to point that out. Not that I expected it to go fast.

STL Box is 13,000 copies and is still available.
MSG Box is 12,500 copies and is still available.
PNW Box and Giants Stadium Box (don’t know how many copies) both took a while to sell out.

HCSS 1973 Box has been reduced to 10,000 copies.

FW 69 was 5000 copies.

The magic number appears to be between 5000-10,000 copies for ‘normal’ Boxes.
May 77 broke the website and required an All Music Edition.

Any other potential Boxes that could break the website?
Winterland Oct. 74 audio and video might.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Conekid, the Giants Stadium Box was limited to 10,000. I believe 6,000 for the Blu-ray and 4,000 for the DVD.
Fillmore West was limited to 10,000.

Would love to see that Winterland 74 Box.

Oberon finally flowing in MN. No talls boys yet, hopefully they are on the way.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

But now I feel pleased over the new box set, which I ordered the same day it was available för that.

To me the real deal here is the RFK Stadium shows. For the past 35 years or so I have been looking at a poster with a picture from the June 9th show. Bought it in San Francisco in September 1986 but I'm not sure when I first hung it on a wall in my home. Remember having it on a wall when I last went to school in 1988/89. Since then I have framed the poster and it has been above my stereo and TV-set since 2002.

The June 10th show was one of the first tapes I got in the early/late Spring in 1985 after having a Tape Trader ad in issue #5 of The Golden Road fanzine. I havent worn out the tapes but back then I listened to some of its content, especially Bird Song and Playing in the Band, Dark Star and the third set. The longer version of Playing in the Band was one of the first such I ever listened to. Before that my Playing experience was limited to the one on Skull n Roses. So it really blew my mind 38 years ago.

Well, looking forward the box set! Later this week I will probably get Dave's Picks #46. I paid taxes and Post office fee yesterday morning.

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

And yet I still missed out on it back then.
Good thing I have 3/4 of it so far on Plangentized/Normanized vinyl.

DV, I haven't seen 16 oz cans this year.

That one caught many off guard. It was the first limited and numbered release they put out. I think this was the last effort made by GD Merchandizing at about the same time they handed over production reigns to Rhino. There was also the mini box which was quite cool actually.. I bet a lot of folks opted for the mini box. Why would we need all four shows when they went through the work to pick the best of the run and put it in this neat little mini box for us?

In hindsight it probably woke a lot of us up that we can't be complacent and head down to the Barnes and Nobles CD isle to pick up whatever Dicks Picks suits us whenever we want to buy it.. often years after it was released.

Or as Homer Simpson said, "D'oh!"

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Wish they would release the final vinyl of this series and be done with it.

I want to mark this one as DONE!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

It came out before I knew deadnet existed. I didn't get a laptop until 2010, so it probably also came out before I was making online purchases of any kind. That's why I didn't get it - and why I'm hoping 3/2/69 comes out on vinyl sometime soon.
Dicks Picks, Road Trips and all the stand alone releases used to be available from a British shop called Spin Records mail order. I haven't done badly.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Was on the fence at the time - finally went to buy it and it had sold out in previous 24 hours or so. Still a bit painful all these years later. I'm never gonna return to vinyl so hoping for a Plangent CD release.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

The information to buy it came out in the Grateful Dead Journal that was mailed to your house. I bought 2 copies one for me and one for my brother.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

In the immortal words of Terri Hatcher, "They're real and they're spectacular"

Still, my favorite box might just be Europe 72. But it's a very, very close call.

Totally agree. After a long hiatus, I just started listening to Winterland 73 regularly again. It is outstanding.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

THIS is the one we've been waiting for, and while the icing (6/10/73) is available separately, I would think this cake would be of far more interest than some of the more recent boxed sets, no?

The Fillmore West '69 box sales were limited to 6900 (because of the number 69, like the Europe '72 was limited to 7200). No one could imagine people plunking down $100 or more for a box of CDs at a time when folks were giving up on the medium. The GD and Rhino took a risk on those, not realizing how many Heads would come out of the woodwork to purchase the old live material. Based on buying trends at that time there was a very real chance that they could produce all those boxes and end up with half of them left over, which possibly would have swamped the boat of the folks who were trying to get shows released; the releases could have ground to a halt had that occurred. Kind of like why the first few Dick's Picks were one or two CDs; no one had ever tried to sell a set of three CDs before, so who knew if anyone would buy such a "monstrosity"? Thankfully we all bought them, and so here we are today, with an embarrassing wealth of Grate music in amazing packages.

Be kind, rewind.

p.s. I always figure that given the opportunity, I would grab the Europe and FW boxes on the flight from the flaming house, and try to get the July '78 box under an arm. Just love that 1978 box!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

...for me since I missed all the early boxes.
You know which box I will grab on the way out of the fire.
Just look at my username.
Hopefully none of us will have to make that choice.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

The listening party audio does not match what is listed.
In fact, the 2nd song is "Black Throated Wind", which does not even seem to be on the set list for any of these 5 shows.

So... what is the deal?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

May like Fillmore 69, but the Steamer Trunk!!!!

Oh, and it's worth about 4 times as much.

..... and I be grabbin' the axe.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

It was correct at first, but somehow it's been switched to the DaP #46 listening party

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Reading the comments about HCS 73 finally made me jump off the fence and buy it. JIMINMD and DEADHEADBREWER made good points about how it was in the aughts, when Dick's Picks were easily available, and physical media seemed a bit passe. That and the seemingly limitless contents of the archive combined to lull me to sleep around '07-'08 or so, just not even paying attention to what any record companies were releasing. So I didn't even know about the Europe and FW box sets until years afterward. I even missed the first few years of Dave's.

And yet somehow here I was, staring at this year's box set and not pulling the trigger. So thanks to everyone who finally made me see sense. BLUECROW's note in particular was sobering ;)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

I'm a little confused. This appears in the description: "Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download."

Does that mean if I buy the CDs I get a digital download as well?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

It's certainly the one I've been waiting for Deadheadbrewer; Kezar since Dick's Picks Vol.1 and this box since the list of shows appeared at the time of the Dave's Picks launch. Three of these shows were on that list and, aside from the legals surrounding the Allmans appearances, there was always going to be some kind of box based around these.

I'm also a little surprised it hasn't sold out, particularly as this is a smaller edition that then past three (12.5k, 13k and 12k respectively). I do get the feeling buyer numbers have declined a little in the last year or two. I can't recall how long Fillmore West took to sell out (it was 10k), pretty quick I think, but not as quick as the full Get Shown The Light, which was 15k and sold out overnight. I don't recall any other box sets selling out particularly quickly, they're normally around for a few months.

The drop in Dave's Picks sales appears to me to be about a decline in subscriber numbers rather than a response to any particular show, although I do appreciate that you don't have to commit to a subscription before the first two shows are revealed.

Three boxes I'd grab before leaving a burning house? Let's limited it to Grateful Dead boxes and I'd probably say Pacific Northwest, June 76 and Listen To The River on the basis that Get Shown The Light is still available (oh dear, that would mean leaving 30 trips behind!)

Last 5

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite
Rev. Gary Davis - Harlem Street Singer
Grateful Dead - Feb 28th 1969 from Complete Fillmore West
Mingus Big Band 93 - Nostalgia In Times Square
Buddy Miles - Live

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In case of fire: Only 3 box sets? An interesting challenge.
The Winterland boxes 73 and 77, for sure, because they are both great, and easy to carry. For the third, I’d have to go with the 30 Trips box - NO other artist/band/being has such a unique collection. You could keep a lot of Heads very happy with the 30 Box - something for everyone. Because my dog would want to help, he will take the Wilco Yankee Complete box and likely Miles’ Complete Bitches Brew.
Oh to be an octopus, or perhaps a Kraken.
PS - Why are boxes selling slower? I can only add from my perspective that the international shipping fee at $70 is a big barrier. Nope.

The fillmore west complete recordings box set that came out in 2005 was limited to 10,000 (not 6900) - and the LP sets that followed recently were limited to 9,000.

Just thought you should know :-)

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Which 3 you would choose obviously is going to depend on which boxes you were fortunate enough to get, and of course, personal preference. For me, I would have to take:

FW ‘69 (+ bonus disc!!).
Europe ‘72
Listen to the River-why this one?? Well, it covers multiple tours, AND it has ‘71 shows!!

That’s just me. I really enjoy reading other people’s choices as well.

“Sports was invented to give men 2 things”:
Something to get excited about
Something to repeatedly break your heart.

Kind of like falling in love when you think about it. 😂💜

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

If you didn't get the listen to river box if available get. Been really getting into lately and there's just so much good stuff that covers a few different years. Like the 2-3 different years that have been put in last few boxes. And I;ll also say the last one MSG 81-83 don't sleep on this either. Been in the mix at work since I got it, plus the black light box art is cooler than bearded skeletons any day. Chillin with a nice Glenmorangie tonight the sun was actually out today, thank you sun.
Lastish:
Grateful Dead: Buffalo 5/9/77
Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Waylon Jennings: Honkey Tonk Heroes
Jimi Hendrix: Are You Experienced? really dig the stone free and highway chile

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KRIYAS

....I don't have Fillmore '69 (just the smaller version), or E72 (a have about twelve shows purchased Ala cart), so with that being said.
30 Trips - 30 shows
Spring '90 Too - best sounding box
The PNW box - packaging
The '78 box is a close 4th - also packaging.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I could've SWORN when I listened to 3/1 from the FW box the other night something in the literature or parephenalia mentioned 6900 copies! :) Was it initially ANNOUNCED to be only 6900, then immediate demand convinced the powers-that-be to move the number of copies up to 10,000?

And dang--I plum forGOT about TTATS! Hmmmm . . . would I leave the FW behind in lieu of TTATS, figuring that I could always listen to Live Dead?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Not wishing to be indelicate, but there must be less Deadheads alive now than when the first boxsets came out. It's a dying population and a problem facing many religions - how to hook the kids?

Sport also gives men something to talk about. It's not just men in England either - the only person I know who plays football is my friends 8 year old granddaughter. Consequently my friend - a woman for Gods sake - now talks about football too.

Given that they have multitracks of the 4 shows it would seem a no brainer.However someone on Hoffman’s once posted that they thought the tapes were accidentally lost/destroyed shortly after they were used for the movie soundtrack.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/here-comes-sunshine/here-comes-sunshine-1973-dead.net-exclusive-[17-cd]/081227847036.html