Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
    Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
    San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
    Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
    Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
    Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
    Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sick Bird '67
    Default Avatar

Purchased the ALAC digital download since the discs were unavailable. Many of the dowloaded tracks have dead air.

I have purchased many of the box sets over the years and never have I run into so many issues. Disapointed to see so many other devotees with similar issues. Hope this gets resolved soon. The set lists are awsome and I can not wait to kick back and listen.

• stillwaters

It's on sale, but it's not available? What's up with that?

• daverock

Sydney - why should you be expected to send faulty discs back? You have said they are faulty - that should be enough for them. Don't they believe us if we say discs are faulty? A little respect would be nice - do they think you might be trying to pull a fast one? Ridiculous.

• dmcvt

Wow, given the recent comments, who would have thought that the HCS box would be available for $140, listed in the Black Friday sale. That means they should/must have shipped any replacement discs for faulty or damaged at no cost BEFORE they sell another set... Had to jump through three Hey Now hoops to post this... talk about Lost Sailor...

• Sydney Prentice
    Default Avatar

No one has offered me a refund,they just sent me more faulty discs that don't play.It will cost me even more to send this back,I can't see them refunding all the postage & import fees that I had to shell out.

• 1stshow70878

They cannot get you replacement discs but they can put the set on sale for $140.23 in their holiday sale? Hey now on that.
    Cheers

• daverock

Surely they should refund people the full amount they paid for it if it isn't perfect.

• Jaysspacedhead

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
    WMG Specialty Customer Service

• marye
    send me a PM!
  • phantomengineer
    Default Avatar

Mary, belatedly can I contact you about an issue with the discs on this one, and can you remind me how I do such...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Five complete, previously unreleased performances on 17CDs
Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Is that right, though, about them being lost after the movie soundtrack came out ? The 5 cd compilation didn't come out until 2004, and it seems strange that things would have been treated so carelessly at that late stage of the game.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I maybe wrong, but, I thought a lot of the original tapes were worn out because Jerry used the master to mix the soundtrack instead of making a copy to work from.

In case of fire......

I'd grab my external hard drive backup. May not be the absolute "best" sound but sounds good enough for most listening experiences and I have over a million cuts there and 25 years of my life.

Luckily my HD is backed up at multiple offsite locations, just in case of fire or tornado.

But yes a fire would be devasting. Doubt insurance would ever cover all that was lost.

user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

Does anybody know what's up with the listening party? It's Bird Song, BTW, Jack Straw ... clearly not Iowa '73 (as stated) ... so confused.

and ...
in case of fire:
30 trips (only bc I have the lightning bolt gold USB hard drive w/ all the shows in my pocket)
FW '69 + Bonus disc, one of my prized possessions
and .. this new box bc it's new to me.
Glad I did NOT pull the trigger on MSG box bc 'the cash is all spent' on this box. I love '73 Dead!
also, MSG Charlie Millers are good enough to get me by on that front and the MSG art work looks just half-baked
IMHO

I have never seen a Dave's picks NOT be sold out when the next one is released. Once they upp'd the available copies ... they are seeing that maybe there aren't that many of us left buying music after all. At least that will hold back the eBay sellers for a bit.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Dave said "Not wishing to be indelicate, but there must be less Deadheads alive now than when the first boxsets came out. It's a dying population and a problem facing many religions - how to hook the kids?"

I've got to tell you Dave, the new generation gets it as much as mine that came of age in the mid/late 80s. My 17 year old is genuinely engaged. At a recent senior night for his lacrosse team where the boys got to pick a song to play on the PA, there were two dead tunes in the cue: Scarlet Begonias and Throwing Stones. My son is a junior so these were picks from two other boys on the team. The kids are gonna be alright! Now I will say this about their generation: they probably aren't buying CD boxsets. They are all about the stream.

OR,
Who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep following me?
(2 great bumper stickers)

I don’t know Daverock, D&C have been filling giant football stadiums?
The first year we saw them (2016?), Folsom Field 53K+ was about half sold, buy 2019, the last time we went, the place might not have been sold out, but it felt like it, and the additional influx was all young folks. An additional 25k old folks were not bused in from the home lol.
Agree their prolly not buying up a lot of boxes/CDs, though their must be enough potential shoppers to warrant the prodigious efforts of the Rhino/Warner merch department. I know Deadvikes isn’t the only one buying up all the Cosmic Camping gear ; )
Yeah, I think there’s more young tenderfoots out there then ya might think, their just different and definitely spend different (I.e., Dennis ; )
Maybe it’s partially an age thing?
I didn’t collect things when I was young. In fact it’s only been like the last ten years I started really buying everything…
Though that’s about cash flow as much as anything…being financially challenged it’s hard to keep up, luckily that’s one of the few things that’s improved with age : )

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Let them laugh now.
When the mob overruns things and the grid shuts down and we’re plunged back into the dark ages:
With the help of home solar, we’ll all still be able to fire up our antiquated technologies, thereby still providing one of the few “modern” forms of entertainment. We will be gods! Dennis will be king!
My guitar teacher taught me when I was a tadpole that no matter how poor, or how bad off folks are, they always find away for Music, partying, and fornication.
History doesn’t lie!

You forgot about me........ though i only play walking football which is great for us oldies
Oh and i'm feeling very relieved cos the mighty wolves beat the villa at the weekend ensuring we will still be playing premiership football next season. COYW!!!!

that is true. I mentioned my friend Craig the other day. He left us on April 30.

In addition, after I get this box, I will be preeeetty close to saturation with shows. Time for listening is ticking away for me, as well. Unless the NEXT box includes 11/19/72, I might well pass on it.

Subscribe next year? maybe.

anyway...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

Thinking I'd spend to much time trying to decide, which boxes to take...so I gonna put out the Fire,

Like Dennis, have things on external hard drives in different locations/properties

Don't forget your pets

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

30 trips seems like the likely candidate for both size and variety. After that Id probably go with the second spring 90 box and Europe 72.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Seems like The Dead won't die off anytime soon, which is good news. They don't have such a high profile in England, of course, but archival albums are often reviewed in music mags, and they are nearly always positive.

DocMarty - yes, how could I forget that? Walking football sounds alright to me. I do that too - minus the football. I had a casey when I was about 8. Brown leather, it collected the water if it rained, and if you headed the sucker after that you ran the risk of knocking yourself out.
I always keep a lookout for Wolves on Match of the Day. Watch the highlights. Though they are so brief for all games that they seem more like an interruption in between the incessant analysis. Start to watch a game - go in the kitchen for a cup of tea - come back - the games already over and it's back to the studio.

Who knows for sure on this one, do good tapes exist or did Jerry and Phil accidentally smoke them backstage at the '76 Tower Theatre shows?.... I do recall an interview with someone (Jerry?), it might have been on the documentary Athem to Beauty where they learned a valuable lesson recording Anthem.. not to wear out the masters making the mix.. "by the time we were done it sounded terrible and muddy??" It might have been part of that quote where Jerry says, laughing hysterically, "we mixed it for the hallucinations"

There's a lot out there in the ether about the Winterland '74 source recordings. Google "Steal Your Face Album" and in the Wikipedia article they go into detail on Bear and Phil's take of the recordings and the mix they used for the album. Also.. the usual suspects were not used to record these shows.. (Bill Wolf???) Owsley was especially pissed.. claiming (again from source I cannot remember) that the shows were mic'd incorrectly and there was terrible bleeding, that the tapes were almost unusable (or was it unlistenable?).

It sounds pretty good to me..

..but it does sound drastically different from other GD recordings of the era. There is a reverb quality and some bleeding that comes through. This after someone spent a tremendous amount of effort cleaning them up before release.

It could be there were problems on the source masters, that cleaning them up created fatigue or the like or that much of it did not sound great. It simply might not be as easy as waving a wand and poof.. we have Winterland '74 the Complete Recordings. Then again, I could be wrong.

As for Deadheads dying off and there are less of them now. I don't know.. I remember hearing That exact quote in 1982. In the Dark anyone? Could be. Could be we are undercounting the newer folks that never even got to see Jerry play yet somehow were able to see the light. Some are every bit as passionate as the next rabid teleporting, time and space travelling, seasoned dead freak.

I agree with the saturation comment.. especially the '77/'74 pole position shows to lead off the series and some less desirable shows filling the three and four positions of the series. That might have worked better when 12k were made, just saying.

HOW ABOUT SOME 1968! Or More like December 26th 1969? Yes.. they will not eclipse Cornell in hype but fluck it.

With few exceptions, this series is excellent. The Summer 73 Box should fill whatever perceived void might exist. So that brings us to exactly now, which reminds me.. we need another release and soon.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I bet they put a vinyl box set of the shows out next year, hopefully they also put it out on cds. I still think there is hope for a 1980 Warfield box set by using cassette masters.

I noticed a vinyl Two From The Vaults for sale on Amazon yesterday. Only three available, and not that expensive. This morning there was only one available. Gulp. Thought I'd better jump on it. Squinting at the cover on the screen, it looks as though it is the same pressing as the one that came out in 2014. I got my original cd when it first came out, the one without the bonus tracks - so this new one might sound a bit better.

Not to keep harping on about it - but this might be another reason cds from deadnet don't sell out as quickly as they used to. There are more options available. The fact that I have just bought this, makes it less likely that I will buy Daves 47-unless it's from a year I really like a lot.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

What a long saga on those LP's.

Experience vinyl seems to have them in stock. Quick check on #2,,, they have and they're 100 bucks.

I ordered these (all three) over a year ago. 1 came in about a month ago, they've been "shipping" 2 & 3 for a while.

Finally, 2&3 are in the mail,,, should be by Tuesday I think.

Extra funny note - I mistakenly order two copies of 1 over a year ago. I never cancelled one of them because I didn't want thing to get fucked up. They finally send 1, but not the second copy?!?! Once I get 2 & 3 in hand I will see if the extra 1 can be cancelled. I really not sure if they charged me when I ordered or they charged when shipped?

In any event Dave might be worth a look.

Dennis - I can remember about 3-4 years ago both Two and Three were listed on Amazon UK as upcoming releases. I paid in advance for number Two and sat here waiting. Every few months I would get an email from them telling me the release date had been delayed and did I still want a copy. Of course I did....but this process continued until one day, a year or so after I ordered it, they emailed me to say they had cancelled my order as they wouldn't now be getting any copies.

I only saw it for sale yesterday by chance, scrolling down whatever Dead releases they have in stock at the moment. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Didn't want to go out anyway.

....one of my favorite releases! Looks like "someone" bought the last one on Amazon, so I ordered one through Experience Vinyl. My first vinyl purchase for the month. I'm allowing myself two.

and so it begins…

Careful.

Remember, Dennis’ wife has a big one….
Wallet that is ; )

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....I have to be VERY selective.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I used to be very selective, but I would say that now I am just selective. In the broadest sense of the word.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I can quit anytime.. it's not a problem for me.

Really, it's no problem for me.

Just one more today. I will quit after this last one.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Both showed up today. They really are out there :-)

So now I have the vault series in cd & vinyl,,,, yay?

I'll see if I can cancel the extra copy of 1 on Monday,,,, don't think they're there today.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

The date "1968" is like a trigger word for me. So, let's have the newly uncovered June '68 tape at OSF be a joint project (heh heh) with dead.net as we, um, need to stay on a roll here.

Wrong thread? To mention '68? Phooey on anyone who sez that.

Okay, back to my cave. That is all.

Two from the Vaults arrived this morning and it sounds amazing. I'm not comparing it with the old cd - maybe that sounds just as good, but I am well pleased with this collection of records whatever. Such a great show, too. The energy level rises as soon as they kick into St Stephen, and it's solid gold all the way after that. These versions of The Eleven, The Other One and New Potato Caboose are terrific.

The cover looks very nice too, in this larger format. All of which leads me to join in the chorus singing for more 1968 shows to be released. It's been such a good year for releases so far that I'm not holding out any hope for Dave's 47 - but it would be a nice surprise if it was from this year.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

Trigger... in my dreams, when Roy Rogers, I had a horse named Trigger... we sang cowboy songs. If past is prologue, it's more likely the next Dave's will be something from the 80s, this fall, we need a 68 box, please and thanks. The fabled Bay Area Box. October stuff from the Matrix and Avalon alone and a number of fragments, short sets out there, would make a very nice box set, 10-12 discs, small box format like the Winterlands, priced around $100, free shipping, 10K edition would sell fast. In my dreams...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

8.20 - 24.68 best fives days of music ever! Needs to be in a Box...

Bear's Choice LP says "This has been re-mastered by David Glasser using Plangent Processes from the original analog 2-track tapes recorded live by Bear and has never sounded better."

I don't think they would have just transferred the tracks used for the album, and with no CD version of Bear's Choice there has to be something else coming. Maybe a small Fillmore East Feb. '70 Box?

They will finally cave for the ancient shit.. just a little 1967 and 1968 please.. with a sprinkle of '69 for good measure.

When was the last 68 release besides 30 trips anyway? Dicks Picks 22, Kings Beach Bowl?

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Before 30 trips there was a Road Trips, Vol 2 No 2, 2/14/68 Carousel Ballroom. 14 years ago. I've been looking for a copy of Two From The Vault on CD, I don't seem to have that in my collection these days... does anyone know if Rhino released that one on it's own?

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

There is one on Amazon "used very good" sold by SecondSpinDisk for 9.39 or I could give you one in poor condition for free (wasn't mine someone found it and gave it to me) pm let me know.

Note: It's not the expanded edition, sorry!

ps. Give me my ancient shit...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Not forgetting the bonus tracks tucked away on the Anthem of the Sun cd included in the "Golden Road 1965-1973" box set. From 8/23/68 we have "Alligator-Caution-Feedback". Very high energy - a fantastic jam. I think these tracks were included on the digitally remastered cd of Two From The Vaults. It isn't on the vinyl version.
A minute or so after Feedback ends, there is another track, not listed on the cover, "Born Cross Eyed".

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Love you folks! I'm thinking that mentioning '68 in a '73 thread is doing a cannonball in the deep end of the pool...

And it turns into Cannonball City around here.

Love it, man, love it. dmcvt has the right idea -- a modest box, even just 4-6 discs (okay, 10), with a couple shows, partials and fragments. And JimInMD has the timeframe just right. I think fall '67 to fall '68 would be the critical ignition period in question.

Forensicdoc and I discussed the practicalities, which amounted to ... '68 shows seem to have often been 60-90 minute supernova affairs (someone has accurate data on this), perhaps due to the GD being on a multi-band roster? So a '68 DP is unlikely. Thus, a modest box would be the format. They've done the full 30 Trips thing-y, they've done the two-year regionally based '73-'74 PNW, they've done a few single year runs, like '76, '77, '78, '90. And we know they've got some '68 shows, partials, fragments still in the can (don't we?), so the questions are: When? And, How?

Final addled thought: frankly, I don't see a ton of interest from the wider retail market for '68. So maybe it's another mini-box modeled on the FW69 output on a ltd edition basis? You know they've got to be talking about the OSF's June '68 tape discovery -- so either they put that out as a special release ala the single disc Family Dog/Great Hwy release from April '70 or they use it as a vehicle to deliver 'mo '68.

My pitch to Dave & Co: '68 fans are getting on in years and ya gotta be young and fired up, at least in your heart, to fully appreciate the surging energy of '68. So, the famous question: "If not now, when?"

I guess my prior post wasn't "all." Probably gonna ladle on a little '68 later today in honor of all mothers everywhere! (Not that I was personally involved, mind you...)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I would be all for a box with shows from 67-68. Or even a box full fragments since I think many of the shows are not complete in the vault. When I think of 1967, I immediately think of 3/18, and 9/3 as shows I would love to have. I am not sure if they are compete in the vault. Speaking of the vault, I think there is a little more in vault in the way of complete 1968 shows to compared to 1967, but then I don't really know. I am only inferring based on the available tapes. In any case, I think any combination of material from 1967 and 1968 would be a great box set to get put together.

I hope it happens especially since we are getting 2 highly regarded shows in the Here Comes Sunshine box with 5/26/73 and 6/10/73. I feel Dave L and crew have really aimed at releasing many of the highly regarded shows and tours to this point and that is a credit to them. I think now would be a great time to dip into some of the "back in the day" stuff so since many of the proverbial big shows have made their way into our hands.

For me, The Dead really took off when Mickey Hart joined - about September 1967. I like listening to shows from1966 up to this date - but from then on - wow. Incredible concentration of energy which lasted from then up until the Workingmans songs started getting introduced half way through 1969. It does seem strange that there has not been a single Dave's Picks from this timespan. Even the 1969 shows that have been released have been from the end of the year. This late 1967-mid 1969 stretch was the music that turned me on to them in the first place.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I respectfully disagree with the suggested small format.
We’re running outta time so there’s only so many more boxes to get released.
Thus, I think it should be a big primal box:
66-67: depending on what’s there, perhaps a couple discs?
68: 8 discs of whatever’s top shelf, fragments, whatevs, release the best
69: 6-8 discs or best quality 4 shows. Say half spring, half fall/winter
70: best quality 3 or 4 shows

Yeah it’s a few more discs than the usual 15 to 20, (this one’s 17, St Louie 20) but so what, the magnitude and significance of this should rival Europe, Spring 77, Spring 90, or Boxilla in its importance.
I get some of you want it cheap, and are getting saturated on discs etc, but think of it this way, for some it might be the last box you buy, and it’s the favorite era for many of you, so why not go big, why be chintzy with such epic Dead? Make something that’ll take years to fully digest!
Primal Baby!
As they say on the mountain, go big or go home!

Kiniggits looking strong!

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro, I like the way you think and I would buy a big late 60s, but how many others? Perhaps I was thinking, the River box has been out for eighteen months, not sold out. The MSG box has been out for eight months, not sold out. The Sunshine box, who knows, will surely be available for a while yet, even at the reduction to 10K. Both Dave's 45 and 46 still available. WMG might be looking hard at another big disc number production from a period where some of us are rabid enough, but how many. And would love to see it sooner than later, the bigger the project, the longer it takes.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

In the banana boxes. The Banana Box Set. Release it all in one box set. That tops them all!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

I think yer on to something Billy!
“The Banana Box” damn thing’d market it self lol

That is the question DMCVT: would there be enough support?
I’m guessing that if it was sexy enough and with the hype us freaks would be kicking up, perhaps it would entice more occasional shoppers to climb aboard? But who knows?

But Dave’s not going to do this forever, and if the cooling off of sales is going to be a trend, then at some point they theoretically could cut way back, or gulp….stop releasing entirely! 🥶
So get out the way, don’t just stand there dreaming, #release the reels!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by dmcvt

If money be the issue and you don't want it to be sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Stop with the trinkets! I would think this is the shit that sits on a shelf in a warehouse and just continues to get shitted up. Or is there more money in the t-shirts and mushrooms tools?

They could have an annual sale of stuff they need to get rid of. But it would further seem that if you add up all the unsold collections (how many Dave's 46 can there be) this would be a VERY small amount of inventory for WMG/Rhino. This is a big company producing many artist,,,, how many Taylor Swift's are there sitting on shelves?

Stop with the trinkets, but bring the axe back :-)

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Oro, buddy, hope you're well. I'm just tossing out ideas and would be the first to admit I have no idea what's in the Vault or on the checklist of realistic projects.

So... if they put together a box of X number of discs of early '67 to late '68, of course I'm plunking down my money. I guess as long we're dreaming out loud, make the '68 box as obnoxiously large as possible. I hate the phrase "we're running outta time," probably because it's true. As Dylan sang, "anything can happen now to anyone," and I keep thinking he was talking about me! To your point, pretty soon when someone says "68" we'll smell a fart and think they said "something I ate."

Methinks that the OSF discovery of June '68 has to have "them" thinking about how to monetize the early material. And we're here to help. If only "they" would call me........

Meanwhile, there's a ton of fall '72 hanging fire. And when will they reveal the WotF 50th package? (With Watkins Glen soundcheck???)

And when will I climb in my pickup and drive to, say, Asia, so I can listen to the shows I've already got?

Maybe they could start this box with a recording from an acid test. A quick sprint through 1966 and early 1967, landing in the fall of that year, and then on to the culmination of acid test inspired music ( that's what it sounds like to me) with a few colourful shows from 1968. All boxed in high art with period piece essays. No need for tee shirts, though.
Maybe a few shows from early 1969 - although they really deserve a box of their own, leading up to those Ark shows. Hey, I don't know what I'm talking about.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey Phil C, hope all is well!! Never fear, the box set will be out soon!

For the WOTF 50th, I'd really really really like the bonus stuff to be a nicely cleaned up version of 8/1/73, Garcia's birthday, Dark Star, needs no further explanation.............

I'm trying so so hard to love the latest DaP, but I'm struggling. I actually like the bonus disc material better. Of course, it's just me and my foibles......

Sometimes, lovely surprises come out of things going wrong.......

Rock on!!

Doc
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself............

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop by and say Happy Birthday to that rascally prankster and favorite clown Hugh "Wavy Gravy" Romney on his 87th trip around the sun. Thanks for the memories and more kazoo please. Liberate the 67-69 reels, any rare bits that are in the vault, I want to hear, for sure.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Although I listen to it all some more than others, it was the Primal stuff that got me into the Grateful Dead.

Skippin' through the lily fields I came across an empty space,
It trembled and exploded, left a bus stop in it's place.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/here-comes-sunshine/here-comes-sunshine-1973-dead.net-exclusive-[17-cd]/081227847036.html