Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
    Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
    San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
    Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
    Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
    Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
    Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sick Bird '67
    Default Avatar

Purchased the ALAC digital download since the discs were unavailable. Many of the dowloaded tracks have dead air.

I have purchased many of the box sets over the years and never have I run into so many issues. Disapointed to see so many other devotees with similar issues. Hope this gets resolved soon. The set lists are awsome and I can not wait to kick back and listen.

• stillwaters

It's on sale, but it's not available? What's up with that?

• daverock

Sydney - why should you be expected to send faulty discs back? You have said they are faulty - that should be enough for them. Don't they believe us if we say discs are faulty? A little respect would be nice - do they think you might be trying to pull a fast one? Ridiculous.

• dmcvt

Wow, given the recent comments, who would have thought that the HCS box would be available for $140, listed in the Black Friday sale. That means they should/must have shipped any replacement discs for faulty or damaged at no cost BEFORE they sell another set... Had to jump through three Hey Now hoops to post this... talk about Lost Sailor...

• Sydney Prentice
    Default Avatar

No one has offered me a refund,they just sent me more faulty discs that don't play.It will cost me even more to send this back,I can't see them refunding all the postage & import fees that I had to shell out.

• 1stshow70878

They cannot get you replacement discs but they can put the set on sale for $140.23 in their holiday sale? Hey now on that.
    Cheers

• daverock

Surely they should refund people the full amount they paid for it if it isn't perfect.

• Jaysspacedhead

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
    WMG Specialty Customer Service

• marye
    send me a PM!
  • phantomengineer
    Default Avatar

Mary, belatedly can I contact you about an issue with the discs on this one, and can you remind me how I do such...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Five complete, previously unreleased performances on 17CDs
Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was there almost 50 years ago.
I have a question I’m hoping someone can answer.
I ordered the 73 box set and was not sent a confirmation email yet my bank says I paid the money to Warner Music. No more telephone orders and no customer help by phone. I’ve contacted Mary E. a few hours ago but no answer yet. Does anyone know who I can contact to get my order number and an email confirmation.
First world problems, Oy Vey .
Hmmm , my first time in many months posting on this site.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Dave Rock, thanks for the suggestion but that doesn’t work. I’ve tried signing in, signing inas guest, using multiple credit cards and PayPal. Nothing works. Just frustrating as help as customer service is useless.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Mary responded, she has Doc looking into it.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I tried completing my purchase three times using Chrome to no avail, just froze up after attempting to complete payment.

Went to Microsoft Edge and worked immediately. Use Edge for this purchase.

Last five:

Dirty Knobs: Wreckless Abandon
Grateful Dead: Dick's Picks Vol. 43 San Fran 11/2/69 & Dallas 12/26/69
Traffic: John Barleycorn Must Die
The Rolling Stones: Stripped
Grateful Dead: Dick's Picks Vol. 33 10/9/76 & 10/1076 Oakland Coliseum Stadium

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 9 months

Like last year the international shipping charge on this box is messed up.The international shipping charge on the site is $25 yet this shows up as $70 when it’s in your cart.Prohibitive.
Same thing happened last year until it was fixed after several months.Even worse a number of overseas customers got it for the $25 shipping charge but others can’t.The $70 is completely out of line with other companies shipping including Rhino.
Fix it!

....in my DeadBase 50. It's starting to get very yellow with top shelf shows. Hopefully I live long enough for a Santa Fe one.
Personal poll I do.
We are blessed to be sure.
Spinning Portland 6.24.73 now. 😋.
Bless the tapers.
This being able to order or not being to order these releases across the internet universe is puzzling. Firewall thingamabobber? A tale as old as time.
Edit. Good to see old friends see their shadows on new releases.
This one is a humdinger.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I used PayPal with MSoft Edge. As I recall this has happened before... Chrome is my default browser. Either Chrome is experiencing heavier traffic than Edge or there is some issue with Windowpane... er, Windows.

I don't know, but I've been here before. I took the blue pill first, and when it didn't seem to be working, I took - the red pill.

And then when they both kicked in at the same time... it was 1973 all over again.

Gearing up for Aerosmith tickets this Friday. That last little tour Joe Perry did with Cherone and longtime bassist David Hull was awesome! Back in the Saddle again.

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

LEDDED,

Tried PayPal with Microsoft Edge. Didn’t work. I keep getting the same message on every device when I try to use PayPal, “order total 0 is not allowed for PayPal”

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by musicnow

Ordered with Chrome. $220 after shipping and sales tax.

The Emails from dead.net go into my promo folder so I didn't see this until tonight and what a surprise. Love it. What a lineup of great shows. Kezar finally gets released. I think this show was included in the returned Betty's/Rex stash from ABCD.
Can't wait and we should have it by the end of June. And they moved the copies down to 10,000. Probably a good move.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Joe Ely--Eponymous debut and Honky Tonk Masquerade
John Raymond and Real Feels (Groovy modern jazz that reminds one of Herb Alpert)
Sonny Stitt--Stitt's Bits
Sarah Vaughn--many different albums
GD--DaP24 and Houston (11/18/72), in anticipation of the arrival of DaP46

Today I played and sang the four Gordon Lightfoot songs I know well on guitar, but can't bring myself to listen to his CDs just yet. I know that as a burgeoning radio listener in the late 70's, his songs really stood out as timeless and full of beauteous depth.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

No trouble ordering, including a mug and a t-shirt.

Sad to hear of GL's passing. Canadian icon, song writer extraordinaire, and life-long Leafs fan.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sight unseen, this has to be the best box release in 12 years (E72 - 2011), especially if they sound better than what circulated on tape, which was A++ at the time. I think I'll definitely prefer this over GSTL (2017), so at the least best release in 6 years. Excellent, EXCELLENT picks Dave&Co!

Seems nuts that so many people are having difficulty ordering this. Maybe that's the real reason releases aren't selling out so quickly these days - you frequently have to have the patience of Job to get an order through.

Good point by Lebowski on the other board that if you combine this release with the PNW box, you can listen to 9 consecutive 1973 shows. The 73 shows in the PNW box get progressively better, set by set, as they progress - which bodes well for unheard shows in the new box.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

After a few seconds of debate, there is plenty music here, these shows are too essential, a piece of the 1973 puzzle that was and would be missing. The RFK concerts alone. First saw them Baltimore spring 1973, was back in Maine for summer with a ticket for Watkins Glen, my brother was at RFK. Though I had been on the bus for years, 1973 was the break through in person. Ordering was a breeze, though no discount code (BD15etc) worked, didn't expect so. Used current Firefox browser, old Mac laptop. Email confirmation came immediately. Can't wait, 46 will help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

In reply to by dmcvt

Fortunately, I was able to figure out my problem with ordering. I live in Alabama and for some reason the website would not calculate any sales tax for any Alabama address. Changed the address to a relative's address in another state and it calculated the sales tax and the order went through without any issue.

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

In reply to by pparish34

I also live in Alabama and can’t get my order to work.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Won't let me comment on the 4-CD selection even after signing in to the store side. Strangely it showed the $7.99 std. shipping but then credited it back upon totaling when I ordered first thing yesterday. So I paid $41.41 for the 4-CDs.
Luckily found I have a primo tape of the Kezar show.
May have to taste that before this comes at the end of June to get ready.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Well…wadda you know…I also live in Alabama and am having the sales tax issue. Thanks PParish34 and SWR for helping narrow this down. I sent a ticket to support. Fingers crossed..don’t want to miss out on this one!

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

In reply to by amosesmoses

Thanks Amosesmoses for putting in ticket. I’m in an email chain with support and I also updated it with this new information. Hopefully we can get our orders soon!

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

FWIW my order went through with zero issues using Chrome and VISA payment. Sorry to hear so many are having issues.

Interesting thought, Daverock, about whether these kinds of issues might have contributed to the slow sales of DaP 45. A good Marketing Department would keep track of things like website visits and how many people put something in their 'cart' but then did not complete the purchase. Whether or not deadnet/Rhino has a good marketing department I have no idea. But I can imagine some percentage of people just saying fuggit and giving up if they were maybe a little bit on the fence about a DaP purchase and then had problem after problem trying to check out.

I wonder if this '73 box makes it more or less likely we'll get a live show to go with expected WOTF 50th reissue? Whatever. This set will be worth its weight in gold, AFAIC.

The obvious answer...leave Alabama! ( only joking)

Crow - normally it's the opposite with ordering music online now, as well. You only have to read an interesting article on a musician from the past. Hear a track that you may like on you tube. And within minutes find you have ordered their entire back catalogue in some lavish box set.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Interesting that Dave mentioned RFK as having had been under consideration for its own box. He also mentioned Bear recorded these, which is great. His mixes were pretty awesome and I'm guessing he also recorded the Allman's sets as well. Hopefully they'll release their shows to fill in the continuity of the two nights.

One surprise is the Kezar show isn't also being offered as a standalone as that's an essential show. Many of us have had the tapes for years and getting the Norman treatment was long overdue. This looks like another winner box set.

Really looking forward to the closing set with Dickey Betts and Jaimoe. Dickey was at a creative peak with Eat a Peach and Brothers and Sisters during this period. A lot to absorb from these particular shows.

Thanks Dave!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

So does BD15DEAD work for a discount? There has been some doubt here. Has anyone used it successfully for this box?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Has anyone had any success ordering the flac downloads? Won't let me add to cart keep getting a message that says - Product "FLAC IG #1 Released 5/2 - Ramble On Rose (Live From RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C. 6/10/73)" has an invalid price assigned

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

nitecat, I forgot Vguy's tip on the discount code when I ordered the box, but when I went back to order a standalone 6-10-73, I tried it -- nada. Think I got free shipping though (~$8). Not sure why.

6-9-73 was my second show and, as I've recounted countless (and painful) times, I had no means of staying for 6-10-73 (a Sunday) -- man, I was 15, my godfather was visiting, and I had school on Monday. We had on snearkers, jeans and t-shirts, no food, water or money (maybe $2-3) and we'd taken a blotter Satuday morning before the Dead and re-dosed that evening before the Allmans and we were fried by any standard. A very hot weekend!

In any case, my brother and his friends did stay and reported that it was an epic. I've been given "soundboards" of 6-10 that I just couldn't listen to due to tinny SQ, so this box is most welcome and undoubtedly a listen to 6-9 will jog some distant memories.

To the ailing "Steve" who posted that 6-9 was his first show -- I wish you a full recovery and the folks on this forum generally provide healing vibes as our brethren encounter difficulties.

Good thing there's two months before the box hits, cuz I'm gonna groove on DP 46 from fall '72 first.

Paz, HF

daverock or was it thatmike -- yeah, we generalized about loose, after hours jamming between the GD and the ABB but I'd bet that Disc 17 in this box is going to smoke!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by nitecat

I tried the discount code I see mentioned in this thread, but the webform wouldn't take it. However like HF I also seem to be getting free shipping if I put the box set into my cart. Hmm. "These are deep waters, Watson..."

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Discount? Discount??!!? I didn’t get no stinkin discount!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Yeah I ordered the box before I checked the board here. Maybe next time I’ll wait a while before ordering……..

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

I think I must have used the code to ask them to add some on, rather than take some off.

HF - yes, I think we are lucky to have that jam between ABB and GD released now. And how great to be able to refer to a cd in a new Dead release as "disc 17".

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

With international shipping, import duty etc it'll come to over $300. I don't want or need it that much.

I think it's time they scrapped the limited edition nonsense, the last two boxes and Dave's Picks haven't sold out yet and we all know that they'll find an excuse to produce a few more if they think there's a demand.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Nick1234

In very early June of 1973, I was a 16-year-old teenager who got on the bus with radio airplay of Truckin'. My family was in the suburban Maryland area surrounding Washington DC and one of my older brother's friends told me that the Grateful Dead was coming to RFK Stadium and asked me if would I like to go. Yes! I would like to go. I originally wanted to go to the Saturday night show, on 6/9, but my older brother got 1st choice, so I took the Sunday show on 6/10/73. I don't remember too much of actually being at the show, but I do remember being in the stands and looking to the left all the time to watch the show. I do remember it was hot and humid and the smell of marijuana in the air.
Wow! My very first rock concert was a Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers show. I saw the GD many time after that and those shows were mainly in the 80s. I didn't really get into the Allmans as I did with the GD and I saw Wet Willie only 2 times after this event.

Yes, my dream came true! For a long time, I was hoping that 6/10/73 would be officially released and it has - part of this box set and as a standalone release on CD and 8 LP set.

Being retired, I really don't have the funds to buy this box, but I will buy the standalone CD set. I had all the GD shows in this box on CD-R but somehow, all but the 6/10 show remain along with the ABB set of that night. I also used to have the Kezar and Santa Barbara shows on cassette too.

Thanks Sheik Yerbones!
I am taking it one day at a time and enjoy each one to the fullest. Thanks for your well wishes and positive thought to help see me through.

Peace/Love, Enjoy This Beautiful Earth
B Steve

Thanks VGUY72! Your thoughts and well wishes help see me through. I have been fortunate to see some hot shows on the east coast the past years when the Dead were still touring. Every day is a blessing on this beautiful God Given earth!

Peace/Love

B Steve

art looks good like may 77, is he the same artist who did May 77? this boxset was well done for all: music, art, and 14cd in a small package with some of the best music they ever made!
relistening to the kezar show makes me now wandering about the previous show? All this was before the Pacific north west tour...the usual suspects (Lemieux & Norman) likely did another great addition to the GD collection. Mr Lemieux are you waiting for the tide? we miss your comments...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 9 months

I am wondering if there is anyone else here in my situation.
I placed an order for the box and they have charged my bank account but I never received a confirmation email.I have emailed them but I haven’t heard of anyone that has got a reply from them in the last few days.
I am aware of at least one other person this happened to and it seems to only affect non US customers.Anyone?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

1977 still waiting for this stellar show to get the full Norman.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Yes

I received my confirmation right away.

I would/wouldn't sweat getting it or not getting it. They seem to have no rhyme or reason for sending notices.

Oh, and UPS sucks. Nothing seems to move in UPS until the truck is filled.

Like the scene in Dark Passage with Bogart. He buys a bus ticket and ask when the bus leaves. Guy says when I call out bus for Benton. When's that he enquires? When I sell 3 more tickets.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

It's a little-known fact, there, uh . . . Norm, that the folks who used the 15% discount code will have 15% of each disc erased before shipping occurs. It's a random 15%, so it might be an El Paso, or it might be the middle of an Other One . . .

Those who paid full price won't need to worry . . .

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/here-comes-sunshine/here-comes-sunshine-1973-dead.net-exclusive-[17-cd]/081227847036.html