• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

One of the joys of spring is figuring out what to play.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Day 1 / Europe '72 / April 7, 1972 Jimbo, 44 is the magic #. What are your favorites from this one? I like the two "clear cool water"s from Donna on this Greatest Story. Also love The Other One / El Paso / Wharf Rat medley. I ordered a Wembley Empire Pool t-shirt last week :) Anyone else diving into E72 Complete this Spring? I started last week, for fear of falling behind. I'm up to Tivoli 2, the sequel, 4/17......
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Haa.. you are more ambitious than I. My goal this year is to hit the sleeper shows that I never seem to revisit. Like 4/7, Newcastle, Aarhus, Beat, Bickershaw, Lille, etc. Keep in mind, I just started 1984 from the Box (really like that one), I seem to only be able to fit so much in my day. Some here must have superhuman listening strength. I did a deep listen to my less visited Lyceum shows a week or two ago, but I put all the Lyceums at or near the top. Listening to the Playing in the Band from 4/7 as I write this. Europe was the period when that song fully developed into greatness. ..and I haven't heard a PITB from Europe that I didn't absolutely love. Its one of those tunes that separates the GD from other bands. There's something there. My touring GF from the day hated that song. That's when I knew it couldn't last... sorry Terry!
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Okay JimInMD, I know I’m being nosy, but yesterday you wrote, “I met Phil in ’83. . .” with no preamble or context. If you’ve already filled in the blanks, I missed it. In any case, there may be others like me that are curious to hear more about your audience with Mr. Lesh. Thanks to forensicdoceleven, I’ve been immersed in ’70 thru pre- and post-Europe ’72. You and KeithFan2112 have inspired me join the Europe ’72 listening party – perfect timing!
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

or any of the GD. I just imagine they would be grouchy as fnk. I'd turn into a fawning niblet, and they'd say sod off. conjecture, sure. but that's what my imagination sez.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yes, that was back in the Heineken days. I wrote a post on that perhaps a year ago.. not to go into detail, but I grew up near Merriweather (used to walk to shows there) and the night before the '83 shows we decided to poke our heads into the hotel bar at the Columbia Inn and there was Phil on Heineken #1. We asked if we could join. In hindsight, he was probably a little bored so some harmless entertainment ensued. He was gracious, intelligent, patient and it was a lot of fun. We had a very candid conversation, I didn't feel like there any barriers or walls up. It was just me, a few buddies + Phil and we ended up closing the bar. I was a kid at the time.. and honestly I couldn't come up with much to say.. deer in headlights kinda thing but we did ask about the new album. They had been working on it but it just wasn't coming together and at least Phil was not a fan of the studio during this period. I do remember the exact words, "F*@K the Studio." I think the real story was the next night at the show. I have been trying to piece together my memories of that show and write something up. If I get some time I will.. that was a crazy, crazy night. It was just so damn long ago, I guess I am getting old timers.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

wow, that was an unflattering read. He clearly didn't "get it". Which is a little strange coming from the Allman Brothers Band. I've listened to the Mountain Jam from Watkin's 73, and while the quality isn't that great, the music itself isn't bad IMHO; in fact I kind of always wanted to hear all of them do Mountain Jam, so it is a nice little historical perspective. Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

He's talking from being a contemporary vs. admirer or fan. Look how he speaks about Baker or Bonham
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

But is this really accurate? "They would just mill around on stage, and half the time tried songs they didn’t know. They would fall apart in the middle, quit playing and stand there and just look at the audience.... They go because they know all of their friends are going to be there. They will find their group, look up at the stage once and say ‘Yeah, there’s the band,’ and that’s the last time they ever look." Yes, it happened.. but it didn't happen like that at every show or the shows entirety. Usually once they found their footing, the only ones falling apart were the goners in the audience. Ok Butch, love ya man and love the Brothers. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

don't know what is up the A.B.B.'s A.S.S. about the GD. Jealous of the frenzied fandom? chronological musical love for me: ABB, then lost interest Clash, then lost interest; but i revisit them from time to time GRATEFUL DEAD for which I have (virtually) unlimited devotion. I love them, but don't worship them. My opinion is that if i loved a band and then lost interest, they aren't that amazing. If I loved a band and 34 years later still love them, they are amazing; one might even say beyond description. so much kvetchiness on such a beautiful day. GD rule forever. They are the only band that truly matters (to me). They did their magic onstage for decades, and they do their magic via recordings to this day. ABB had two good albums (in my opinion of course) FE and EAP. but i have no interest in them now. So BT and GA can suck my helium. Hate on my band, hate on me. A 52 year-old's petulant rant. Have a good day everyone.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 2 months

Respect his opinion and all, but the Troops are hungry for a new mission- Operation Flaming Burrito now has fixed it's spicy beans upon Butch aka the Tortilla Victim of the Nacho Delta Grande. Cue up the bean scene from Blazing Saddles- the troops are going to blow him away!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

As I said he (Butch Trucks) was a contemporary, he may have looked at the stage only once himself. He IS quoting from Bill Graham (and is the quote accurate?)…nobody saw the Dead coast to coast more times than Bill Graham...except maybe their roadguys and they ain't talking. Keithfan2112 (Rush man too?) - thanks for reminding me that the European tour started today…I've been listening to GD '71 thanks to the generosity of another post contributor. Up front and center was the 4/5/71 Manhattan Center show early today and I heard a "1st": I actually heard JG yodeling behind BW on "Me And Bobby McGee". Something I've never heard before!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Butch was not the only one who thought Cream were incredible. Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Jorma and Jack C were all very similarly impressed by Cream and influenced by their sheer power and improvisational skills. Butch mentions some jazz greats along with Cream as being most influential. Jerry would have been versed in that already by the time he first saw Cream since he was a fan of Django, Art Tatum, etc.. Jerry even took a stab at a power-trio by jamming with Jack Cassady and Mickey H to see what would happen.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Can't see it. The Hippie in him would make him want to share the power with others (Bob Weir maybe?). Correction - the owner of the '71 show pointed out the yodeling was more than likely NRPS who were touring with them. 2 more listens has me now thinking it was John Dawson (Marmaduke).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 7 months

I just scored the complete Europe '72 shows for $337.50 plus shipping! Dead.net is discounting the Europe '72 shows as of now. No more dithering about what shows I want to pick up and where to buy them. Now all I have to do is finish the 30 Trips box and then catch up on all the Dave's Picks.....
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Saw him only once at the Oakland Coliseum in late 1977, with Marty Robbins opening. Fabulous show.Merle was an excellent guitar player; did not play a ton of leads since he had the awesome Roy Nichols on lead(who started in the 50's with the fun Rose Maddox and her brothers) Dave Strang: definitely John Dawson yodeling, check out the song Linda on the NRPS' Gipsy Cowboy LP.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 7 months

We will miss you, Merle. I remember an amazing show with Merle and the Strangers at the high school gym in Garner, NC in the mid 70's. I became a fan that night. I will break out my 4-CD Merle on Capitol box set tonight in tribute.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Thanks for the heads-up droidmec. I seriously considered ordering 2...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Two rock stars who make me cringe when I hear them speak - David Crosby and Butch Trucks. They are so far off on their perceptions on just about everything I have heard them say. Even from way back. I bet Duane would have kicked Butch's ass a long time ago too and I read that he once considered it. I love both bands but I'm sure there was some competition going on and altered states too. So, I will have to respectfully tell Butch to just shut up and play drums - what he does best.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Just wanted to say hello. Been out of pocket for a bit. Feels good to be getting back in the saddle again. Have a bunch of reading to catch up so that I can comment, extol, bitch, moan, etc. Just kidding of course. I have finally listenend to Dave's 16, may get to 17 this weekend. Will be back in touch. G
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

I'm in on Europe 72 revisit! I forgot how much energy this 4/7/72 show has...the Truckin is a full power version...wow!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

So the Other One that follows Truckin is a bona fide skull splitter as well....whole tour, incredible!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

I see there are now only 12 units of the E72 All Music Edition that can be ordered. I ordered after Black Friday RSD last year when they were discounted 15% and had sold out, and had to wait until February before my order was shipped. So I paid the full price, $450 plus tax, but now that dead.net is deep-discounting this product, who knows, will this be the end of the line?
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In case anyone didn't see it and is interested, the new Dylan album was officially announced today with artwork, tracklist etc. Fallen Angels coming out on May 20. It is a continuation of his 'Great American Songbook' covers, actually I believe most (/ all?) was recorded at the same sessions with Al Schmitt for Shadows in the Night, with the original intention to be two albums: 1. Young At Heart 2. Maybe You'll Be There 3. Polka Dots and Moonbeams 4. All The Way 5. Skylark 6. Nevertheless 7. All Or Nothing At All 8. On A Little Street In Singapore 9. It Had To Be You 10. Melancholy Mood 11. That Old Black Magic 12. Come Rain Or Come Shine I know less of these then were on Shadows, but I've always liked That Old Black Magic, at least some of the renditions I've heard. He has been doing a handful of these live already, maybe 3-4? If anyone would have guessed around the time of say Highway 61, that down the road he'd be crooning Polka Dots & Moonbeams, well give that person a cigar.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Doesn't seem that large groups of people traveled around the country tour after tour for the ABB. Keith Richards also ripped on the Dead this past summer. He's not even in the top 5 of British guitar players. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, and Mick Ronson (not necessarily in that order) are better than Keith Richards.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Also better than Keith Richards.Insanely underrated.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I'm also re-listening. I forgot 4/7/72 has my favorite 'The Other One' sandwich (El Paso filling). The "Front Three" slow things down until there's almost no music…then they slide gently into 'El Paso' which slows down as it finishes…whereupon they start back slow and then they slam into 'The Other One' (then they go into 'Wharf Rat' after all that). This Ladies and Gents, I call face-melting!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I wouldn't consider Keith Richards a top ten greatest guitar player on anybody's list. I would consider him to be one of the top ten greatest rock & roll songwriters of all time.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I had to buy a E72 All Music Edition. I already have it, but now that I have the trunk, the temptation to fill it with brand spanking new CDs - more than I can resist. I actually tried buying a backup copy back in Nov or Dec when it was 15% off. You know what came in the mail? 4/7/72 - and only 4/7/72. How I freaked out. Then they said they didn't have it in stock and that it would take awhile to get it from some other warehouse. I guess andoverdeadhead, you had the same experience, as you said you had to wait until February to receive yours. What I don't understand, is why you had to pay $450, since you had ordered it when it was 15% off? BTW there are only two left. I have a feeling there are more somewhere. I've seen these restock on the website before. Keith Richards - one of my favs. Doesn't play lead well enough to ever be mentioned in a "greatest guitar player" conversation. Agree he's in the top ten songwriters, and I would actually promote him to top 5 based on his finesse as a rhythm player and sound innovator (nobody had a tone like him, due to the open G tuning, which he brought to rock 'n roll). Combine that with the massive amount of songs he wrote, and he's got to be weighted closer to top 5 than 10 on some scale.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Never got into Dire Straits other than a few songs here and there. Decided to go see them with friends in the early 90s. Awful. Yup. Awful. Way too loud. Everyone complaining. Sheer nonsense. Got a chance to see Knopfler again on the All the Road Running tour, sadly without Emmylou. Phenomenal. ABB, Stones, etc. Who cares what they all say. Saw them all live. Listen to them rarely anymore. Just go watch Townsend disappear on stage in Germany back in 81 when he knew he was outmatched. Keith, congrats on your purchase. You will never be disappointed. A great price for a timeless tour. Clued my brother in to the offer as well and he picked up a set. Enjoy.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

'Course, I'm not the one to say for sure, but having completely worn out my cassette copy of 2112 in high school, I can only imagine that the 2112 in KeithFan's handle refers to the ultimate Canadian power trio. Good lord, but Neil Peart was an amazing drummer and lyrisict. Man, it's been many years since I regularly listened to Rush. ...cue harp music and wavy visuals.... When I was in college, Rush played the StarLake Amphitheater outside of Pittsburgh. Summer solstice. A buddy and I drove over from State College for the show. So there I was, way up on the lawn, floating through the Roll The Bones stuff while waiting for the "real" Rush, when I noticed on the really high wall behind the stage, these huge shadowy dancing silhouettes that were totally in sync with the music and moving in this sort of trancy groovy dance. Being in the state of mind that I was in, I was totally intrigued and mesmerized by said dancing silhouettes, and after pondering on it for some time I concluded that it was some sort of laser light show associated with the band on stage. It didn't really seem like a Rush thing, but I though it was cool nonetheless. Fast forward to the end of the show; my buddy and I are walking through the parking lot, which by then was full of deadheads who, it turns out, were there because Jerry and company would be playing that venue for the next 2 nights (and about which I was completely unaware). Turns out, some of those folks had been grooving to the Rush sound next to the amphitheater wall whilst spotlights cast their shadows high upon the wall, and some were still dancing in the spotlights to the post-concert music blaring over the sound system. Suddenly, I understood why I'd seen dancing silhouettes. Long story short, my buddy and I ended up hanging out with some deadheads in the parking lot, and I remember really digging music that I'd never before given much consideration. Through the foggy haze of memory, I seem to remember a bus coming by and... well, you can probably guess the rest. ~Quod
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

That's funny, I saw the same dancing silhouettes at the Jethro Tull show many years ago. Yeah, I got into them in '85, so they were past their major creative peak. If 2112 through Moving Pictures were five A+ records, and Signals was an A-, then the rest of that came after were B-, B, and B+ records, with anywhere from 2-4 A songs....if that makes any sense (ok, maybe a couple of C+ records in there, but there were still a few great songs on every LP). Their most recent studio release (Clockwork Angels) was probably the best record they made since Signals; I think if they pared it down to 45 minutes from 60, it could have been an A record. Personally, I don't think they ever should have let Terry Brown go (he was their producer during the golden years). But anyway, when I first got into them, they weren't really playing too much of their great stuff on stage. They smoothed themselves out on synthesizers and all but ran from their past - but they didn't get far, and my worst fear - that I would never hear the classic stuff on stage - never came true. They slowly came full circle, and by last summer, their entire two hour second set didn't contain anything more recent than Moving Pictures. They are the perfect blend of hard and prog rock.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Just gave another listen to the full E72 box over the past month or two. 22 Monster shows that keep on giving. Lots of Pigpen--lookin' high, lookin low. Greatest tour ever from the greatest band ever? Probably. I'm in for the '78 box-set. Still listen to the Daves Pick 15 (4-22-78) quite a bit and love it. Red Rocks release--bring it! Artwork looks killer. Used to read a few Paul Pope graphic novela (allright comic books basically) awhile back. Still recall one trippy series called "Heavy Liquid." Not sure if Pope is an Iggy Pop/Stooges or Dead fan, but seems safe to assume so. Yeah, great American bands, I'll throw out The Stooges, if they haven't been mentioned. Great and pure protopunk. A little later than the Pranksters Acid Tests for sure but I believe they dosed themselves heavily and often before performing. Music still holds up well. Rush--never listened to them much--but they were huge in the day. Grew up near Boston so Aerosmith were on the turntable as a young kid quite a bit. Had a big brass Aerosmith belt buckle I used to wear back in Junior High thinking I was all that. Bought it at one of those mall smoke shops we used to have. Watch "Geeks and Freaks"on Netflix if ever nostalgic for those times. One season only, but great show. Season (and show) ends with Linda Cardellini (the "Lindsey Weir" character) heading off to follow the Dead on tour. Nice way to wrap up a cancelled show which would launch so many acting careers. Great stuff. Keith Richards gets respect for being part of "Exile on Main Street" alone, aside from technical skills as guitar-playing. Ron Asheton gets mention as a great guitarist--but enough on the Stooges. He used to always rank up there on those old Rolling Stone best guitarists lists. (Lower than Jerry, of course.) Mellow listening to Dylan's "Tempest" tonight before the final workday of the week. Yeahh, I was for UNC. Heartbreaker. Peace.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Hey, I had that Aerosmith belt buckle too - the one with the font from Toys in the Attic. I'd wear that today if I could find it. Their early work is classic. I wish there was more in the vein of their first 4 albums. Keef is fantastic, though not like the blazing lead players y'all are comparing him to. He lifted an open G slide guitar tuning from Ry Cooder and wisely adapted it to non-slide playing, thus inventing the classic Stones sound heard on so many of their biggest hits. Anyone else playing this way is instantly pegged as an imitator. His most recent solo record is his best work with or without Mick in many many years. The man has deep deep soul, and that can't be measured by "best guitarist" standards.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

About the discounted E72 sets, the 15% discount ended the Monday after BFRSD weekend and it reverted to full price at that time. So I missed out on the RSD special price but went ahead and ordered one anyway in mid-December and it was not until then that I learned it had gone out-of-stock. So mine was back-ordered for about 2 months until it became available again in early Feb. But I am happy just the same to have finally gotten one of the All Music Editions after reading all the effusive posts for much of the past year or more. By the by, KeithFan, let me join the chorus of those who have congratulated you on scoring one of the steamer trunks. A good call on getting a pristine set of the CDs to go with it, while you could!
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Thanks for the heads up on the Europe '72 being such a big discount. I had been thinking of picking up for a while and was able to get Europe '72, From The Vault Box and Grateful Dead Movie sound track for less then Europe '72 was originally.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Day 2 / Europe '72 / April 8, 1972 2nd night at the Wembley Empire Pool. Opens with one of several great Bertha performances of the tour. Jerry throws in some aggressive chord fills throughout that make it one of my favorites. Bertha seldom sounded better. This show has a lot of other standout performances as well. If I had to pick one of every song on the tour, I might grab a few from this night: Cumberland Blues, Deal, Big Railroad Blues, Beat It On Down The Line, and Hurts Me Too; all just super-tight. Nothing wrong with the other songs, just comparing these to other renditions on the tour. First Good Lovin' of the tour, and one of my favorites. Jerry throws in a great stab right at the "Come'on baby" line about a minute ten into the song that always begs to be turned up to 11. It's also one of the short versions (10 min), in case you're making a 4th of July mix and you don't want to impress the relatives with the Refrigerator Repairman story (although he's still going to jump in the saddle and ride). Bobby shines on the jam, and is up in the mix. I loved his sound in the pre-hiatus days. Also notable - Jerry stays on guitar for all of the April performances; by Rotterdam in May, he jumps on the organ for the Good Lovin' Reprise. Personally, I prefer him on guitar - it really gives the main riff a smooth jazzy groove (along with Keith's pie-anner) - for 2 and half minutes at the beginning and end, they sound like the Vince Guaraldi Trio. And of course the Dark Star is in my personal top 10. Great pre-vocal jazzy improv jamming for 12 minutes or so, where you have Jerry delivering those thoughtful, deliberate lead bits like only he can do (I envision him listening to what's going on around him, processing it for a moment, and then responding with these flurries of notes that somehow fill the space immaculately); underneath him you have Keith's piano wanderings providing a tranquil atmosphere like running water, unobtrusive and necessary, yet as effortless and natural to him as breathing (the man speaks piano). Then they get into Space for 10 minutes or so, but they don't go completely off the rails full-bore cacophony mode on this one (which is fine with me); and then comes some of the best melodic improv I've heard in a Dark Star, reminiscent of the core elements in Mind Left Body, Beautiful Jam, and Tighten Up. Before you realize it, they're into Sugar Magnolia and you're rewinding the tape to see if you zoned out or if it really is one of the smoothest transitions they've ever done (hint - it's both). Caution is nice, and they don't play it much on this tour, so enjoy it while you can. andoverdeadhead - thanks for the explanation. I was curious if they had reneged on the 15% off, simply because it wasn't in stock. I didn't have the Aerosmith belt buckle, but I sure had the KISS Destroyer one.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Agree. Their work with Brown was their best. I became increasingly less interested as they became more synthy in the late 80's, but I still listened to their early stuff frequently. Funny, but that's pretty much the same trajectory my Dead listening has taken...
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

KeithFan, enjoying your write up of the show du jour. It has spurred me to put this on today; in the midst of BTW right now but looking forward to the Good Lovin and DS. No idea Jerry would play organ sometimes, I will keep an ear peeled. Also, your DS description is right-on; it made me go back and revisit my notes I had shared sometime early last fall for all of the E'72 Dark Stars, and we do touch on many of the same reference points. I don't think I've listened to this DS since then, so it will be a nice treat for a Friday. Bangers and Mash! Sixtus
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Dire Straits,,, my wife liked them a lot I could take or leave. Saw them live, Nassau Coliseum in 85? I always thought Mark K was a very good player and the band wasn't up to his level. Picture Jerry's playing with just an average band. The band behind Mark could keep time but they weren't adding anything or pushing the lead to greater heights. Springsteen - Caught his River tour in Dallas the other night. I'm a Jersey boy so Bruce is mandatory listening, was HUGE fan of The River. (all his early albums also) It was nice and fun to see the show. I think his voice is better than ever, had a set of pipes that pumped out 3.5 hours of songs. But in the end it as a "show", I'm sure everyone of the shows will be virtually the same. I could have lived nicely without the theatrics. Heading into the crowd to be carried back to stage on the hands of the crowd, please, just sing and play. Though I had a funny vision of Jerry falling back into the crowd and tripping deadhead trying to hold him up :-) (hundreds crushed at a rock concert tonight, film at 11). Also it's been 35 years and the band is still dressing the same! Really Steve you're way too old to be wearing feather ear rings and nils get rid of the beret. Like seeing the village people and the guy is still dressing like an indian chief! I know this sounds like a shit review, but we really did have fun. It was nice to hear the whole albums in order,,,, still a great albums. I've included a link to a drop box of the Rochester NY show which is up on youtube,,, this is just the sound and a very good recording. Help yourself. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vorc74p4vy2bdi/2016-02-27%20-%20Blue%20Cross…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

17 years

...Superb write up, Keithfan, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Thank you! Not Aerosmith, but I had a Steve Miller Band Book of Dreams belt buckle way back in the day. And the Unintentional and/or Indirect Frank Zappa Reference Award goes to Stoltzfus for including the words 'petulant' and 'frenzied' in his ABB rant/post...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

My last two favorite Dylan releases:"Another Self Portrait" with Alberta, let your hair hang low; and fantastic live Highway 61 from the Isle of W. concert...many more tremendous tracks. "Complete Basement Tapes" with spine-tingling Hills of Mexico and Bonnie Ship The Diamond...many more superlative tracks. As for the last bootleg release, I get more pleasure from the original albums, especially Bringing It All Back Home, with the fantastic Gates of Eden. Bob's Sinatra album(s), well...to me they're on the same level as his Christmas CD; but to each their own. I love Bob Dylan and he can do whatever he pleases. (Same with Jerry.)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 2 months

Here's hoping Paul Simon's newly released single "Wristband" from his upcoming album is the least enjoyable song of the lot. The chorus..."If you don't have a wristband, you don't get through the door." Hunter-Dylan- Paul Simon- there's very few songwriters I turn towards in the hopes of songwriting genius. Kind of why Dylan's cover albums don't seem close to the definition of talent fulfillment. Sure hope Paul Simon's days of songwriting brilliance aren't in the rearview.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Late last night I purposely loaded 4/8 onto my iPhone. This is the show I play for old friends that say oh you still listen to the Dead, really? They are mostly familiar with the late 80's early 90's version as that was our concert going era. Then they immediately get blown away by the hard rocking focused energy that never lets up. Propelled of course by a single drummer. And then the second disc leadoff Playing hints at all the exploratory magic that comes later on in the show and especially in perhaps my favorite Dark Star. A lot more can be said but I'll simply throw in the sales pitch, buy this show now if you do not own it already. (I first saw Rush on the 2nd leg of the Signals tour at Radio City Music Hall. That was the end of an era for them. The next year I saw the Grace Under Pressure tour at MSG, blah. I knew then that I would not revisit that album again or buy any others going forward. The string of records between Fly By Night up to Moving Pictures are all incredible. You can even throw in Signals but that was the beginning of the end. Way too much synth. I hear they have finally started stressing the guitar again a few years back & featuring the Richenbacker bass. That whole era of the Steinberger Bass, bad mullets and other 80's atrocities has not aged well at all)
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

when I wrote petulant, I heard in my head, "I'm petulant, and i'm having a frenzy" I then looked up the definition of petulant to make sure I had the right word for the moment. btw: is your favorite group Helen Reddy, or Twisted Sister? ;) Paul Simon is a great writer for sure. but the wristband line is a bit obvious. if you don't have tires, you can't roll down the road a donut without a hole is not a donut. It's a danish. if you don't have a lou, you can't have a reed 10/10/76, people white light white heat i am Waldo Jeffers
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I wouldn't mind reading your E72 Dark Star reviews again, I recall that post was an excellent read. I know others enjoyed it too at the time. Time is right for all things E72 - encore, encore....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html