• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....never, ever, ever judge a Grateful Dead show by it's set list until you hear it. Also, the number one rule of fight club is.....
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I think I started this topic and "One Man" comment about Wier's speaker pointed at his head reminded me of a time. We went to see David Gilmore at Town Hall(?) in NYC. Got front row seats,,,front row!!! Got there and these were in front of front seats, they had set 3 rows of folding chairs in front of the regular seats so we were able to touch the stage,,, EXCEPT,, right in front of us were HUGE speakers, not only couldn't see anything, but the sound was awful, I think they were just huge bass speakers. Ended up moving almost to the last row, Dave was little on stage, but you could see him and it sounded great.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

I am hoping that a coffee mug featuring the artwork will be made like it was for the 77 box. So I have figured out a way to listen to all of my shows which is to create a playlist by month. So far this has worked out for 2016. This way I can listen to every show I have and rediscover it. That being said, I am taking until the E72 starts to grace my ears with some Bo Diddley and the new Hans Zimmer soundtrack for the Batman vs Superman movie. Enjoy the night!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Flying solo at the Jerry-Bonnie Greek show in August 87, the guy next to me told me about Shoreline tix going on sale the next day. I was heading down the coast after the show, so I parked outside a record store in Monteray at around midnight. Being an East Coast guy, I climbed out of the car at 5:00 am and waited for the line to form behind me. Nobody came until 9:45. A guy walked up, unlocked the door and asked me what I wanted. When I told him, he sort of laughed and fired up the Bass Ticket machine. At 10:00, that machine spit out one ticket for each show, first row right in front of Jerry. By far, the best seats I ever had.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

it says there will be exclusive content to come. does anyone know what that means? 2 of the discs are pretty short: show 4, disc 2 & show 5, disc 3. i'd love it if they added a shakedown street from 1978 to fill the empty space. ----
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah, I'd go for the coffee mug too. I have about 5, with my 2 favs being Dave's Picks and a 16 Oz blue mug with SYF emblem popping out of the side. Also ordered the beanie bears for my girls, one or two at a time during the period when I was ordering an E72 show a week. Trips to the mailbox were a lot of fun, and they can't help but enjoy the Dead. Dark Star, Father Time, and Crazy Fingers are the coolest ones, oh and Jerry, because he wears a black t-shirt. What else...stickers for the CD album holdler cases (to contrive tlmock E72 steamer trunks), car air freshners, tattoos (the kids love these too), t-shirts of course, for the whole family (Fillmore West 1969), poster for framing (Sunshine Daydream - not the album cover, but the skeleton on the palm tree beach smoking a joint and gazing out at the ocean), wallet, Tony Millionaire artwork....yeah, they got me. And perhaps the best ever birdSONG.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

Not sure when I last listened to a studio album but gotta imagine American beauty and working mans dead hold up fairly well. I found cats under the stars in my car the other day from god knows how long ago and I was pretty bummed that while catchy, the over produced sound kills it for me now... Also, I have a couple beanie babies from back in the day (actually they belong to my wife who picked them up in the 90s)--I have US blues and dark star (both now sit on a shelf collecting dust in my youngest son's room).... Edit: upon further review (I walked upstairs)....they are not beanie babies, but liquid blue bears. Also, the one is called uncle Sam, not US blues.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Man, I remember the Beanie Baby craze, not for me but was definitely popular when I was in grade school..no Liquid Blues at the time, though. Haha. Just finished the Sunshine Daydream Playin' In The Band on random..of what I've heard so far, that show, and that tune in particular, is still tough to top. And I can't hear the goddamn monitors. Anyone read the Bill Walton book yet? Just showed up, along with Jesse Jarnow's 'Heads', as well as books on Huey Long* and the Anishinaabe. Bound to cover just a little more ground.. *Who built the highway to Baton Rouge? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfgGVlS1eUY
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Unless everything at GDM HQ is changing, the "exclusive content" statement in the product description simply refers to more "listening parties", more Dave chatvids, and maybe a opening-of-the-box video.That last disc of 7/8 does present a great opportunity for "filler", but how many of the short discs in the 30T box (and there were plenty of short discs in there) included filler? Still a nice box of content, one I am looking forward too. Yes, I would like some 11/78-2/79 releases, yes I would like more '80s, yes I would like more '60s, yes I would like more '90s. But THIS IS an exciting box for me: a solid selection of shows including a known "tentpole" and several mysteries at a buy-in price I can handle. I think there will be another box in the Fall. I hope it will be similar in size and price and feature shows from a different period. And I hope it will go like that for many years!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Ok I'll stop at some point here, but that gets me going..El Paso is obviously the classic Marty Robbins, but I think Weir was on point with his decision to cover Big Iron. My favorite Robbins, by far. Love the bass line and guitar playing, can really picture the Dead doing it in the style of MAMU; the Kingfish group did a good facsimile (and I appreciate the Tele work, something Jerry didn't dabble with much as far as I know) but it could have smoked. Also love the Cash version from the Unearthed set. Kingfish - Big Iron, 2/7/76 Winterland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9x4MeZAKs Johnny Cash - Big Iron, Unearthed, released 2003: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZfItlZG97Q Marty Robbins - Big Iron, Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, 1959: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999RqGZatPs
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think DP19 is my fave of that series. I have been to so many concerts that I have sat pretty much everywhere. Front row / front floor at many gymnasiums over the years: Charlie Daniels, ABB, Ratdog, Commander Cody, Hot Tuna, NRPS, Dave Mason, Taj Mahal, It's A Beautiful Day, Crosby & Nash, Dickey Betts, Todd Rungren & Utopia, The Rowan Bros., Stills, Bonnie Raitt, Nils Lofgren, Heart, The Other Ones, Pearl Jam But I am getting a bit old for that stuff now! I like front row in a balcony so I don't have to stand if I don't want to. Had that for two of the Dead shows at the famous Radio City run. Rock on
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

In the smaller theaters where I saw the Dead (Fillmore E. Capitol Port Chester & Jersey City, Boston Music Hall) the front orchestra was great because you skip the PA and hear the instruments from the stage. In the larger and outdoor venues I attended (like Roosevelt Stadium or Hartford Civic Center) I preferred being further back for the sound. Also the very front looked too intense and crazy. I think that the best place depended on the era. Back when they played in smaller theaters, the Dead had a great stage sound, so closer to stage was better. Then later it became more controlled through the PA (like Wall of Sound), so best be around the mixing board. One time I saw the Garcia Band at the Capitol in Jersey City (around 1975), he was playing directly through a stack of McIntosh power amps, I was around 15th row right center, such incredible sound, I asked the guy at the board what they did to give Garcia those sounds; answer "nothing" everything came from Jerry's hands and fingers. It was like Garcia just put his hands around and into the guitar and out came bliss! Unforgettable.
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good morning rockers, rollers, and assorted bipeds!!!!! For those of you who wish to take a trip through the monolith, consider this offer: To commemorate acid month, celebrating the 45th anniversary of that fine and crazy time, for the entire month I will send anybody who asks nicely, copies of any & all of my April 1971 holdings. Here’s the catch---just checking to see who reads the entire post or not----you must send your request on the anniversary date of the show you’d like to get. Simple, oh so simple…………………. It was an amazing month. Starting with the way oversold Manhattan Center shows, where the Dead blew off any signs of rust, through the pinball-like bouncing through Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York, New England, and North Carolina, culminating in the sublime final Fillmore East shows. This was lean, bare bones, hard rocking Dead, a period which faded rapidly after Pigpen became ill, a time when the Dead made high art out of a “low” musical form……………….. So feel free to check out what all the fuss is about!! The response to my previous give-aways was sparse, so if this gets overbooked, everybody just take a deep breath------you will all get your musical gems!!!! Disclaimer: this is NOT an April Fool’s joke or prank………………..lol…………..snicker snicker…………. So lets’ roll out the rock, crank it up, play it loud and proud!!! Just keepin’ it real, Doc P.S. Taste of coming attractions: https://archive.org/details/gd71-04-22.sbd.clugston.2176.sbeok.shnf Short and sweet, rockin’, touch of humor (“Don’t turn Garcia up, he sings horrible……..”)……….
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Keithfan,I have that sunshine daydream poster framed. Love the beach scene with the Skeleton. Does anyone have the 100 Dead songs poster. I have had that one for years. I still love it. Very cool. As for the Bathroom, well it's just my own personal bathroom that I don't have to share with my wife and daughter so it's covered with Dead stuff. Dancing Bears towel, Giant steal your face tapestry on the ceiling, framed pictures on the wall. Assorted stuff on the little shelf, pint glasses, Bears, Stickers and other stuff. A little table with a giant Stealie sticker on it that holds my little Ipod dock stereo that I play only GD music on. I had a plumber in one time and he actually wrote on the work ticket that it was a GD bathroom, which I thought was hilarious.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

Last time we got a box like this in 2013 was May 1977. Sunshine Daydream was released later that year. Hopefully we will get a worthy stand alone later this year. I know everyone wants Cornell but Dave talked about a multi-track for 7-18-76.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

All you need is a small fridge and it sounds like the ultimate 1 person man cave.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Has this 7/1 bit been up since the beginning? Jerry is smoking on Estimated! I think that's the aforementioned "exclusive content."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hughie Thomasson (RIP) has to have been one of the fastest pickers ever. Just listen to "There Goes Another Love Song" off that self-titled first album. Hell, listen to the whole thing while you're at it- "Green Grass & High Tides" is nothing short of a masterpiece. I always enjoyed seeing the Outlaws, especially when Henry Paul was on board. Those guys were (and probably still are) very gracious, and extremely appreciative of their fans.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Cheers man, that's a great poster. You just reminded me, I have a towel too. Big day for me. My Europe '72 Steamer trunk should be arriving any minute now. Don't ask - let's just suffice it to say, I missed out when they sold the box sets initially, and I bought the shows one at time. I know what you must be thinking - how can someone with a PhD in Europe '72 not have the steamer trunk? I can't wait for this thing to arrive...with any luck the book will be there too, but if not, I'm just thrilled to have my own trunk finally. I've already started the E72 celebration. I have 4/7, 4/8, and 4/11 (first listen) under my belt for this wave. I'd like to get in 2-3 spins per show before moving to the next, just to absorb it all thoroughly.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Being as I'm not married I can exhibit my Pigpen & Janis Joplin poster from over 40 years ago - the 2 are standing on the steps of what looks to be 710 Ashbury. He's wearing what looks to be a karate uniform and has long hair; he also looks like he could use to lose a few lbs.which tells me it's before he became ill. Janis is dressed in the garb of the times. Pigpen is actually cupping her left breast. I would say the photo was taken between 1967-68. Not many of these around. It reminds me of the poster of Janis and Grace Slick that was aptly titled 'Fire And Ice'.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I know its a little tacky.. but the steamer trunk is way cool. In fact.. the E72 box could be my most prized possession. Three things I seem to like are: Steamer Trunk 69 FW T-Shirt (came w/ the boxset) Tiger Stoneware mug (its become my bourbon on ice mug). Good job Keithfan.. sounds like you are finishing your thesis. Speaking of Thesis.. Sixtus, are you finished? Does this mean you turn from a wooden toy tie-dye wearing puppet into a real tourhound?

Member for

16 years 11 months

muleskinner, Never saw Dylan in the front row, but you jogged a memory from '92 in Baltimore (at the then-newly-reopened Painter's Mill, arsoned back out of business shortly thereafter). For the Highway 61 encore, everyone rushed down the aisle for a dancefest. Next thing I know, my dad's wife shouts "look at Stevie!" and I turn to see my brother and a strange woman groping each other's brains out a la Pig & Janis (or your average 7th graders) right in front of the stage. And Dylan is looking on with the biggest grin on his face. Rock 'n roll! keithfan, As Jim said, the steamer might just be the coolest, rivaled only by the 30T crate. Hope the book is there, because it's awesome. Incredible photo gallery in there. Do you know what name is printed on the one you're getting? Morgul, Really jealous you saw Rush up close. I never had the honor. On this last (incredible) farewell show, instead, we were tapped on the shoulder and asked to sit down more than once. That's why I love the floor ~ for as long as my knees cooperate. (I should insert that Dead shows actually taught me how to dance. The first place I ever felt safe to explore my groove...having been way too shy to ask a girl to dance in grade school.) (Not that the boys ever "danced"...they just leaned from one foot to the other with the girls' arms locked maudlin-ly around their necks.) jr, Thanks for the Tom Joad clip. Had that cd in my hand the other night, think I'll pick it up next time. p.s. Richard Thompson can be seen up close and personal ~ and should be. Do yourself a favor, if you never have. Your jaw will drop. Plus, he's so lovable.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Chest on the barricades up front for:Led Zeppelin Rolling Stones The Who. Townsend shnoozed us with snot from his beak cause some jerk kept screaming Jump Jump Rush Too many 80s band to recall. These days I prefer reserved seating with wait staff. Too old to deal with it, and the bodies too sore. Once in a hotel room with Robin Zander, Jimmy Buffett, and other stars with an ounce of Peruvian marching powder and a handful of McDonalds straws on the table. Close but never burned by the flame!
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

My E72 steamer trunk is here!! This is every bit as cool as it looks in pictures. It's now filled, 1-22, but truth of the matter is - I'd like to put new CDs in there. What the hell is wrong with me - I cannot blow 450 bucks on a bunch of CDs I already have. It's tempting though...I feel like the luckiest bloke out here, to have chanced into this thing. If my benefactor is reading - thank you. I feel like Belloq opening the Ark - "It is Beautiful" Anyway, thought I'd share some excitement. No name on it antonjo.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Dennis - Always dug that one too, I'm with you on Cash in general..I'm generally going to prefer him over just about everyone else, a few exceptions aside. ;) And those American recordings were really good..not just Hurt (which I actually don't rank very high, despite it's popularity) but especially the obscure stuff. Antonjo - That's hilarious, ala Pig & Janis. Haha. Was that 1991 in fact? Didn't see any '92 Baltimore shows; If so, lucky you to catch Wiggle, Wiggle in all it's glory! Listening to the Mississippi 1/2 Step opener from 3/21/90 now. My favorite is Englishtown but I haven't found any I don't like yet. So a friend of mine knows the Dead but nothing too deep, big fan of the officially released Europe '72 compilation. He asked for the top 5 shows from 30 Trips to get in a little deeper. Not the place I'd necessarily start someone, as there are other standalone shows that were released much earlier and for good purpose, but I love ranking and selecting mixes, recommendations, etc. I'd like to give good weighting to the whole 30 years, but also select the best shows. So far, I'm thinking: 4/15/70 11/14/73 4/25/77 9/18/87 9/10/91 Tough to rule out 67-69 (especially that '67 show), that may be one I might substitute '70 out for. I normally don't care much for saxophone in rock and roll (3/29/90 doesn't get me too excited) but that 1991 show was really cool and aside from Marsalis, you can tell that got the energy of the rest of the crew up. I liked the '78 show alot but didn't think it'd be a good one for a new listener. Would debate '74 over '73 as well; As he is familiar with Europe '72 as one of his only references for live Dead, I wanted something similar but didn't want to include the '72 show, even though it's the Fall. Decisions...it's a rough life. KeithFan - That's awesome, enjoy! I got mine second-hand as well, last year sometime. Still working through it, but it is really well put together, not to mention the music speaks for itself. I still haven't topped 4/8 in my opinion, but some of the May shows are getting there (I'm on Luxembourg).
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

ah.. I forgot about the 30 Trips Box. Add that to the list of cool trinkets. In truth, I haven't finished listening to it yet and the box is STILL on the kitchen table. My gf gave me some shit about it a week ago and made a place for it hidden away in my closet. Sacrelige I say, hide it in the closet? The woman is slowly but surely taking the shine off everything that is cool about my office/man cave. Boxzilla will be on full display! hidden in a closet..argh.. I still hold E72 at a much higher esteem than 30 Trips. It is the most magnificent 22 shows I have and I treasure each and every one. Ok.. off my (extremely) high horse, I am putting away my work for a few hours and reconfiguring some electronics. I made a small upgrade to my system. WhooHoo.

Member for

16 years 11 months

You're absolutely right, it was '91! I was gauging from when my LITTLE little brother was in utero, and got my babies mixed up (my godson was born in '92).Wow, that setlist is actually better than I remembered. So sorry to disappoint you that Wiggle, Wiggle is missing from my memory vaults! Stray recollections: Bob was on piano for Lay Lady Lay; he sang the same note, forgoing the melody, throughout Mr. Tambourine Man (could anyone else get away with that vocal styling?); Man In the Long Black Coat was a haunting highlight; and my dad got fully paid with Like a Rolling Stone -- it's the reason he was there. The only rock concert my dad has ever attended with his sons (well, except when that little little brother grew up and formed a band). Dylan does perform Man In Me sometimes, but wish he'd play some others from New Morning. Like, the title track (!) (Or Three Angels, or Father of Night, or....) Still haven't done all the hikes in the enchanted forest of 30T, either. My so-far faves are 70, 77, & 84. With 68 & 69 flanking these. 4/15/70 is the fairest of them all. My steamer trunk belongs to Gentle Jack Jones.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Love it, thanks for the recollection. Had to crack up at 'Could anyone else get away with that vocal styling?' I've seen my share of upsinging, repeating weird three note melodies over and over and barking out a whole line staccato in the first half of the bar it was supposed to fit in. But it's all strangely magnetic..I suppose folks that heard Weir's histrionics (great word) in the 80s but kept coming back can understand? I am digging up a boot of that show, if you don't have one and are at all interested. 1991 doesn't get the best reputation (Ok, it literally gets the worst out of all his years touring...it's a bad sign when this is the name of the most popular bootleg from that year: http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-n02.html) but that has never meant jack to me. He could suck it up and then be king tomorrow. Eat, drink, be grateful.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I will spin 4.1.90 Omni from Spring TOO. Get some if you have it. Victim->To Lay Me Down->Music to end set one. Put that in your pipe and smoke it....
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Muleskinner, I think you did a great job picking five shows from Boxzilla that cover different eras. My thoughts are that you should definitely keep 4-15-70 in the lineup. I just turned someone on to that show last night and played it for my cousin last week. I've gone on at length about this one multiple times here so I'll just say that one is special and leave it at that.The 67 and 75 shows both deserve consideration, too, but it would be tough to take anything off your list given the criteria. I didn't think the 77 show was among the (very) best, but the bar is set pretty high for Spring 77. Maybe 75 over 77? IMO, the 73 show is the best in the box, although I wish they would have put it in order on four discs like the Europe 72 shows.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I almost went for 4/1, but at the last minute switched to 3/28 Set II. I had to take a break from the box.. I was in '83 and trying to test out some new electronics. I decided to switch gears and hit the multi-tracks. Wow.. what a difference. Foolish Heart Looks Like Rain Cumberland Blues (johnny361) The Weight Pockey Way D/S TOO Wharf Rat Good Lovin' Revolution Not a bad set, the first The Weight (and perhaps my favorite). Thanks VGuy for the inspiration. E72 and Spring 90 were both extremely well done. ..and its spring alright.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

You probably want to wait until later, as LMA is still on April Fools day fun and the streams are running slow. One of the worst Healy matrix SBDs I have heard with way too much audience in the mix, Spring 1987 matrix SBDs all have way too much AUD in the mix, but it was my first show after a couple years of voluntary time off from touring. I was still an active trader but the recent years 83-86, which I was getting as AUDs as soon as the tours were over, weren't really luring me back. Meanwhile the Butthole Surfers, Wipers, and Meat Puppets were blowing me away in the clubs for my live music fix. I used to say when Dark Star comes back, I will too. Then Jerry had the coma and one of my trading buddies talked me into going to this show. He even brought the koolaid to make sure it was like old times. Everything was okay for the beginning of the 1st set, interesting song selection when during the BIODTL the koolaid kicked and my body remembered, "hey you like this song" and I started to dance. By the time the jam came in Bird Song I was a born again deadhead and already thinking about scoring tix for the rest of the run. My hiatus was officially over and even though I now had a career to hold on to, I managed to see about 20 shows a year right through the end. Thanks Pete for convincing me to go. The Centrum on 1987-04-02 Set 1 Cold Rain And Snow -> New Minglewood Blues Dupree's Diamond Blues Far From Me Me And My Uncle -> Mexicali Blues When Push Comes To Shove Beat It On Down The Line Bird Song -> The Music Never Stopped Set 2 Scarlet Begonias -> Fire On The Mountain Looks Like Rain Eyes Of The World -> Drums -> Space -> Gimme Some Lovin' -> The Wheel -> Black Peter -> Around And Around -> Good Lovin' Encore Black Muddy River https://archive.org/details/gd1987-04-02.sbd-mtx.miller.82310.sbeok.fla…
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

that is a great list but I would swap out the 77 show for 76. The Ramble on Rose is worth the price of admission alone at Cobo Arena. I will give 77 another listen for good measure today. I have to paint a closet. Ugghh. 70 and 73 are the strongest shows in the box.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I took a cue from you an listened to, what would be the end of side1, on Vol. 1 of Spring TOO this AM.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Listened to the Sept 72 30 Trips show last night in conducive surroundings (vaporizers, brewskies and shooters everywhere) on a big-ass stereo in the woods.. This is a monster show, as anticipated. Highlights are difficult to pinpoint. The first set is long, loud and has that balls-to-the-walls feeling that the best shows exhibit. The 18 min Playing goes places that the magnificent played-every-night Playings from Euro 72 went, plus 10. Bird Song has such touch and feel that it floats on air like dandelion spores. And the Dark Star leaves recognizable territory after a few minutes for 20 minutes in intergalactic space. Wow. Plus, a ton of rocking tunes, with a lovely clear mix and all band members loud and clear. This is 9-24-72, five days after my first show. Dave says he's got material for a fall '72 box, and I'm elated. How 'bout a 3-show, 9-disc set this September? (Or spring '71 w/ Pigpen!) Ha ha -- we've got 16 discs of live GD coming next month and I, like the throng, call for more. Dave, can ya hear me now?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I second everything hendrixfreak just said, especially the dandelion spores. I just got around to this show myself and so far it is my fave of the 30 Trips. Check out the intro to Big River. There is so much muscle in Weir's guitar. I didn't recognize the song until Garcia started playing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm in, I had an especially elated, deep 72 listen this morning myself, soaking in the hot tub as dawn approached. Mine was of the May variety. Was checking out my BD present to myself.. a new set of wireless, open Sennheisers powered through a decent headphone amp. Sounded really, really good. Thanks Jeffrey. I used to be a closed headphone guy, I am opening up to open backs on headphones. There's more gold left in the '72 mine. Gotta get down to the mine......
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....kinda neat how the music plays slower, but the vocals seem to sound the same....I went to a show once and scored some Mexican Quaaludes in the lot prior. That show sounded like these....
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

God how I miss real Ludes!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I hear ya encroached. The real ones back in the day were awesome. Nearly impossible to find nowadays. Never forget crawling up the stairs to our second floor motel room after the show. Literally crawling. One of my buddies actually passed out half way up. Slept out there all night, even in the rain. Ahhh, memories....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Would wake up the next day w/ little memory of the night before, often with deep, unexplainable bruises that took forever to heal. I guess they don't go well with ultimate Frisbee :D. I got tired of taking someone elses word for it that I had fun. At least I was smart enough to never drive. That one caught one of my buddies off guard. After a couple to few experiences with them, I stuck with the big three.. oh.. and beer and wine.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

GarciaTownsend Gilmour Or there any others that seem to wear just back t's on tour?
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

I've heard the English still make mandrax which was the same thing.I wonder if that's true? If so, a summer trip to London may just be the vacation I've been craving. Luded up dancing in the street singing Werewolves!!
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

of a lude. Would love one, sans the bruises next morning. Giving 4/11/72 its fair due today. Weir's still talking about that Alligator from the Academy of Music, too funny. Mule - thanks man. Actually, I had the CDs, just not the trunk. I bought them one / two at a time long after the original trunks sold out (but still a long time ago). The binge started shortly after picking up Sunshine Daydream at Barnes & Noble. It was the first I'd listened to the Dead in several years, and I was blown away by them once again. I'd already had about 20 shows, primarily the multi-track official releases. But Sunshine Daydream got me back into them, and there was a Rolling Stone article that listed the 20 greatest shows of all time, and on there was 4/16/72 - The Dead in Denmark. It wasn't long before I was ordering one / two a week from Europe '72. Wish I could relive that experience. It's funny, I had the original Europe '72, Steppin' Out, Hundred Year Hall, and Rockin' The Rhein on CD already, so I made a list of all of the shows before I started making the purchases; and I color coded them by whether or not I had parts of the shows in my library already, with the plan of actually not purchasing some of them. So I ended up purchasing them in non-chronological order. There was nothing like the trek to the mailbox. Even my kids got excited for the new CDs, and I eventually started ordering the beanie bears for them. Discovering E72 for the first time was a lot of fun. So there you have it muleskinner, that's my story. I've since completed my PhD in E72, which, among other requirements, requires a full listening of every show at high volume on three medium: car stereo, home surround sound, and headphones. At this point I've heard them all so many times I lost count, but I still catch new details and nuances every time (and I have the Yellow Dog Story committed to memory - but for my money, the best joke of the tour started with "my dog has no nose..." While this story may sound like a enviable romantic journey, it was not without perils - I couldn't listen to anything but the highest quality two-track recordings for a long time after discovery E72 Complete. I remember posting here that I couldn't understand why anyone would listen to DP 36, when you could get the same thing from Sunshine Daydream and E72, but with higher audio quality. Spoiled I was, to the point of detriment. And forget tinny, lispy 1974 - it's only in the last year that I've been able to not only listen to, but really enjoy that whole year of shows (I owe it all to DaP 13 - what a show...) But it's all good now. Here we are at the beginning of April, year 44 since the Grateful Dead mad the journey over the pond, and I'm about to embark on a nice long walk with my Plantronics blue tooth headphones and disc 3 of 4/11/72 (with 4/14 queued up closely behind). I leave behind me a shelf full of box sets, CDs and now the official E72 steamer trunk - what more could a man desire? If I only had some ludes....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html