• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I think all this talk about the scratched discs jinxed me ! I was looking for some things to listen to yesterday and found a box of cds. The first 2 I played both had some really awful skips, technically it was a stall because it would stop playing and then resume shortly after, without missing a beat. I listened to one disc like that, the second one I gave up on. Quite a shame because the damaged discs are very nice recordings of 3.30.83
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Would rather wait til the box set comes out before listening to what might be "the most exciting, inspired 35 minutes of 1978 Grateful Dead you'll hear?" on a side note: I read in Willie's most recent book that he took acid at one of the Fourth of July Picnics and how weird his experience was and all of that...I can't remember if he said what year it was..
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

3.25.83 - marks the 1st live performance of "My Brother Esau" a couple other debuts would emerge from the bands touring history during this time in March. "Looks Like Rain" and "Two Souls in Communion" 3.21.72
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I shunned you for yearssomeothertime i said yeah probably overrated i thought today we are together wow. what a show.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I would love to have been a fly on the wall for that Fourth of July bash. You would have to think someone got dosed that day, the circus was in town.. Cool story, I will have to check it out.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I am going to wait for this new 78 box to arrive before listening to these specific shows. Thanks Dave.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

love that Lysergic River take my mind, Don't let her mem'ry torture me. Lysergic River don't run dry, You're all I've got, take care of me. I'm drowning in an acid river, Bathing my mem'ried mind in the wetness of its soul. Feeling the amber current flowin' from my mind. And warm an empty heart you left so cold.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Till your love comes down....no just kidding, that was VH when they were on top of their game. I'll wait for the box set, no need to spoil the virgin listen. Heck, I'm torn about listening to any soundboards, lest they end up released with the Full Norman Treatment someday, and I end up with a not-so-special Dave's Picks. But then there's the little mean dude on the other shoulder going "put it on, you could be dead before this ever goes Full Norman"....and so I've begun getting into some soundboards - only the real hi-fi audio mind you, just because I can't tolerate poor sound quality. It's difficult to turn away from those great sounding shows, especially when it seems unlikely they'll get much better with the Full Norman (like these 2/26, 5/7, 5/8, and 5/9 1977 boards I have). Or this Estimated Shakedown Street I pulled from 11/24/78. I'll tell you what they need, is a little package called Live Shakedown with The Grateful Dead, where they release a double CD with just Shakedown Street, I Need A Miracle, From The Heart Of Me, and Stagger Lee from the Godchaux's last 6 months. Maybe half a dozen versions of each tune....wooo!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I don't know what's up with this site for the cancer research pull... but it accepts donations then it doesn't.this site truncates the link at times... here's the link https://secure3.4agoodcause.com/curing-kids-cancer/fundraisers/personal… if it gets truncated again.... go to 4agoodcause, look for Team Super Kellen. For those who saw it, I'm pulling a firetruck w/ a team to raise $ and awareness for leukemia research. A child of a family friend has leukemia. Chuck H., who Dave L. mentions at the end of this seaside chat for this box set, also has aggressive leukemia and cancer. The Grateful Dead is the only thing that gets him through his treatments. He needs every positive thought and prayer right now.... Sending cd's and $ is helpful.... anyway.. that's the link... thanks
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

You keep referring to the apparatus as stupid but yet it works…not so stupid. You should think of charging the library every time you do their job.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

for the amount of stuff I get from the library they should be charging me! Just in today, the complete Louis Armstrong RCA Collection! I love my library!
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I have also found that if disc "A" doesn't play on player "A", then it probably will play on player "B". Sometimes I struggle with a disc that doesn't want to rip in on my desktop and I try it on my wife's laptop and it works. Always try on a second device. I don't have a lot of problems with scratches in personal stuff, I treat it right and generally it only gets played once when I suck it in, then I put it away safe and sound. Keithfan - on that bonus disc you got, make a copy and play the copy. Put the "official" one away.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Shoot just give me the top 20 Shakedowns ever done. I would buy the crap out of that!
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

:) i take that as a very high compliment. but even Nigel doesn't put his guitars in ziplock bags, like I do to these storage room box sets.I learned from Betty's mistakes, and yes you can get reel sized Ziplock bags that would have mitigated much of the flooding damage. The listening party is nice, but coming though my laptop it's a tad harsh from the stream sound and i don't know if i'll make it to the end. BTW replying to a post stops the stream, so back to Estimated again. Nice, but I'm going to wait for disks from now on.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

6/30/858/28/81 11/24/78 thank you sir may I have another
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I know we just covered this, sorta. Did we reach consensus that 6/30/85 is the best Shakedown? It is my favorite but I have not heard all of them yet. I used to wear out 12/5/79 also. I wrote on the other board about Ventura 87 (which I was in attendance). That was a slow slinky Shakedown. Being on the beach, the bass made the sandy loam pulse. An addendum to that write up, we were standing there having a refreshing smoke when a guy that was probably 70 comes slithering by, smoking this huge pipe. We were grooving, he was grooving. He stopped and we all passed everything around, nice. Never said a word. He wore a shirt that said "I heart drugs." Being in my 20's, it made me feel like I was home. BTW, I was wearing a taper's shirt that had an eagle on it with tape reals in its talons on the front. On the back, again tape reals with a slogan underneath "Death before Dishonor, Drugs before Lunch." I also love the Shakedown from 87 Socal at the stadium, DVD, where they are opening for Dylan. Love some of the looks from Bob and Jerry. Bob is trying to make an adjustment on his rig and it is time to sing. He misses the beginning and looks over to Jer like "Am I in trouble?" Then Jerry flubs a lyric and looks back at Bob and makes a hilarious face. Sorta lets you physically see who Captain Trips was, The Boss! Jer so relaxed, Bob doing his best to please. Love it! Edit: oops reels not reals
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Yep, I have Umphreys Mcgee, Wishbone Ash, Old Crow Medicine Show, Trombone Shorty, and Preservation Hall Jazz band on my desk as I type this, got to rip em and get them back to the library. So yeah, I know how bad those disks can be, but it is a great way to hear new stuff.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

the MOTB stuff is always great. As has been mentioned a few times in the last 6 months. Edit: Oh yeah, have not heard the Egypt one. Heard it mentioned several times here. Is it really that good? Did someone post that was the best part of Egypt?
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Sixtus: Where are we on the 7 headed super brain? This may be the best place to start...or would it be Best Dark Star. My oh my, cannot say that, will start a food fight...
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Good thing I check the links, that 24 bit version, didn't have the Shakedown. Try this. https://archive.org/details/gd1978-09-16.sbd.miller.88314.sbeok.flac16 You really should let it play through to Truckin to get the full effect of the Shakedown at Giza Of course it sounds MUCH better on the officially released CD version with the pop up cover.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I know somewhere I had a tape with a 22 minute shakedown, opened a 2nd set if I remember right,,, it was great. I had a non head in my car once and that tune was playing and when they came out of jam back into lyrics, he looked at me and said "who's this?". I think it be impossible for me to find, but it was one of the longest ones I ever had.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

1979 New Haven on the first Road Trips -
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Very funky. Jerry and Bobby totally in sync, especially the second half of the jam. Two guitarists plugged into one brain. Edit: After another listen (and viewing), a correction - six musicians, one brain.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....7.2.89 Sullivan Stadium. No Shakedown, but it's got a FOTD second set opener. How's that for a curveball!.... ....btw, baseball season starts on 4.2. Just a friendly reminder....
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

GD89 ain't my highest priority but since i saw no shows in 89 muatm will be attended by me. Date of the meetup itself?
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Yeah Bolo, that Shakedown is without any doubt Funky! Also, as I recall that show has a killer NFA with Pete Townsend!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....May is going to blow the doors off! We get a movie, some '76 Orpheum, a whole week of Betty's July '78, and it's my birth month. I actually feel humbled.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

once back in the times of tapes i did create a 45 minute long Shakedown combining several different ones , used to play it at partys when i was a student - as most of us were drunk or otherwise illuminated it felt like going on forever.....
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

love this image , reminds me how important Keith was for the band....
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

does your library have ILL (inter library loans), with the plano library I can go online and search all the libraries in Amerika. Great for rounding out audio books and finding rare music. These cost me 2.50 in postage to get sent here, but well worth it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Anybody have the date yet?
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

They usually ship for delivery the 1st week of the next shipping month, which would be May, so probably announced in mid April to presale the non subscription copies.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Opens the show at McNichols after a Red Rocks rain-out. I don't go for "best," but conten-dahs. This is one. Am I biased because I was tripping my nuts off? Pretty sure!
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Last year the 2nd release shipped 4/30/15. I am expecting a similar release date.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I'm familiar with shipping times etc. I'm trying to find out WHAT SHOW is Dave's 18. I heard rumor it's from '76 which would be right up my alley. Anyboy know? (to be honest I love 'em all!)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

DL announced in that it will be the show from 7/17/76 on the first two discs, with disc three the 17th encore, NFA, followed by most of the 1st set from 7/16 minus any repeats of the 17th 1st set. The bonus disk will be the second set from the 16th
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Was released with "All The Years Combine: The DVD Collection". Looks and sounds great and the smile on Jerry's face when he open set 2 is worth the price of admission. The previously unreleased songs are: China Cat Sunflower - October 2, 1987, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View I Know You Rider - October 2, 1987, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View Man Smart, Woman Smarter - October 2, 1987, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View Friend Of The Devil - July 2, 1989, Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro Hey Pocky Way - July 22, 1990, The World Amphitheatre, Tinley Park Shakedown Street - June 22, 1991, Soldier Field, Chicago
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

drpryan thanks for your quick response
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

How about a '76 box set along the lines of July '78? Granted not all of the tapes can be used and others are damaged but, there has to be enough left in good condition for more releases. A '76 Box Set would be a great place start Seriously? What about more releases? Say 1-2 more per year. And yes I understand the concept of saturation.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Thanks for the Essen Shakedown, had heard parts of this show but not the Shakedown. Whoa, love being able to see them in action! six musicians, one mind preachin that polyglot babel music. It can be doubly bubbly indeed.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Conten-dahs, i like it. Will track that one down. I have always been a touch partial to Shakedowns. Love so many genres but really am a groove/funk freak at heart.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I am almost certain we have ILL, just have not explored it yet. Will look into it. How can you absorb so much stuff?
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I may just breakout that road trips shakedown tonight! Only listened too it twice I think...cant wait. I am slowly making it thru my third trip around the 30 trips. About halfway, lots a really fine stuff!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

wow, seems like an odd pick to me?? Sullivan Stadium (along with Highgate VT) was probably one of the worst dead shows I went too. Seems like an odd choice. I had a lot of fun at both shows but thought the band did not have a good nite at either. Plus, Sullivan Stadium show was on a VERY hot and humid day. A scorcher. However, will definitely see MUAM since Sullivan Stadium is about 10 minutes from my house (and was too back in 87 ...though I lived in different town then). Looking forward to 78 box. Though I am on fence on buying whole box ... may just get the one show option. I had a big ask with the Mrs to get 30 Trips. I know this sounds crazy but I am getting to the point where I have so many Dead CD's I am getting to point where maybe I should start to pass on new releases unless they are a must have. Some releases I have barely listened too. I love the Dead but at times I get burned out and need to listen to talk radio or some other bands. I will say, 78 is an underrated year. DP 18 is amongst my all time fav and the 78 DaP that came out last yr from Nashville (?) were both top shelf. Maybe I just convinced myself to go for the full box? Happy Easter peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Thanks for the input on the Pig box. I got to thinking, I would rather have a Pig Loaded Grateful Dead release. It's like asking for just a Bob or Jerry box in the context of the Grateful Dead, doesn't really make much sense. I vote for Pig influenced show such as 8/14/71 and 8/15/71, that were returned as part of the house boat stash. I just returned from a two day camping trip up to Albuquerque, NM and purposely left my Ipod at home. It was great to just listen to nature and the kids have fun. @ Takimoto- I don't buy every release. In my book I have all I need, 30 Trips and E72. The 30 Trips gave me what I wanted which was a release from every year and E72-only the greatest GD tour (IMHO). I get what you are saying about burnout and not listening to every release you own. For me it's Winterland '77. I have never listened to it the whole way through. Maybe this June I will make the effort. I got to thinking what is everyone's go to year or show. The one that gets the most rotation or the one that you play whilst you are trying to figure our what to put on? According to my itunes counter it is a tie between the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack and 7/31/1974. But the 11/10/1967 show is creeping up there. Have a great Easter everyone!!
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

This week had all three components in it.Date of Spring Equinox 3.20/21 Date of first Full Moon after Spring Equinox 3.23 First Sunday following Full Moon 3.27 THATS EASTER SUNDAY this is the formula to determine Easter. As you know its always on a different day sometimes in March, others in April. Its history is that of a pagan lunar holiday. Early Christians adapted the date and feast. Helped out to have the same holidays in the recruitment dept dig? Whatever You DO Enjoy please!
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html