• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Not much for the political discussions on this site, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your views. Not a fan of either the republican or democrat political parties, as from my view both want to control the sheeple, its just a question of which rights each party wants to take away first, and from whom. "Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed and are right." H.L. Mencken
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I love democracybut I hate politics we've been around since 1776. I think we'll be OK. I vote for 6/10/73. Great show, appropriate city.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

The missing Betty Boards were just the ones she had on hand or was listening to at the time. They were always her tapes whether they were being kept with the band's stuff or not. She even told the band they should come and get them before the auction was imposed, but they just weren't interested.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Last Danc post I can find in this thread is this: March 21, 2016 - 9:18am #173 danc Offline Joined: Sep 11 2007 Fresno reminder I heard the latest Dave's for the first time this past weekend. Really do love it, despite my shock (and no awe) at the big fluffs/miscues here and there, e.g. climax of He's Gone... garage band stuff! How fabulous to NAIL U.S. Blues in the middle of the second set, in the middle of the Summer of '74, as the essay notes. Them old U.S. Blues -- Trump won't win in a landslide per Nixon's second victory, however the U.S. is staying very '72 it seems, or perhaps worse. IT CAN HAPPEN HERE. ______________________________________________________________________________________ I guess that was too much! I was born and raised in the area Dantian talks about. Loved the land, but not the people. I won't go on, as I get pretty nasty about politics and suchlike....
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I just placed my order for the 78 boxset. I whiffed a few times before on boxes so I am not going to miss this one. I was never really big on 78 but it seems the more I hear the more I want to consume. Sure it wasn't 71, 72, 76 or 77 but it sounds good to me! cheers (and 2 rules at the bar - no religion and no politics)
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I too am going to wait, I don't like the business practice for making us pay for a box of shows 6 weeks before they ship, take the money out when you ship rhino, come on now, we want the music, but now it's almost like you want us to pay to have them made first, then ship them. Have not heard these shows, short shows, only 2 discs for the lost betty board shows, so why so short and then, the 2 in red rocks are 3 discs. Not a big 78 fan and I have heard that the Deal on the red rocks show is a scream fest between Bobby and Donna, not a big fan of the scream fests. So, I will wait and see, hopefully, I won't miss out.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

my dog has no nose. No nose? how does he smell? bloomin' awful.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

great article Jim, it truly shows how innovative the GD have always been with their marketing tactics. Love the reference to the Wall Street Heads toward the end as well; nice to know that the kindness can permeate into every field and actually have it help drive some people's work ethic and values when perhaps we may have thought them to be non-existent as outsiders. amazing idea in this day and age. I didn't even recognize Letterman at first. Good for him, let it all hang out. Sixtus

Member for

16 years 10 months

Can it really have been 29 years ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQRcVBF8wQc charlie3, Nice Mencken quote. stoltzfus, The Roman Empire lasted a lot longer than 240 years, and they weren't impervious to crumbling from within. And we've progressed, culturally & technologically, at a much faster pace. But I appreciate the positive sentiment! Even if it's worse than it appears, we will get by. A blessed Holy Thursday to the Catholic heads among us...and everyone else, too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Picked one I attended. Thanks man.. Spring '87. What a difference a year made and what a recovery Jerry was making. Totally revived and refreshed. Gave us all hope and new energy. Hampton was my spring stomping ground, it was a bit of a drive from where I was living, but I seemed to be able to fit the pilgrimage into my school schedule year after year. Always an adventure. Thanks man..
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

3/24/87 in it's candidacy for the United State of the next Dave's Pick. Man, the crowd reaction during that Terrapin says it all. What a fantastic show! Thanks for sharing and reminding me to give the whole thing a listen.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Isn't it interesting that after all of the recent Keith talk that there are piano keys displayed prominently on the box?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

There was some interesting discussion regarding Keith vs Brent - sounds, playing, etc... Wondering if anyone else felt that the same as the famous tag lines of Keith being asked to leave because he was parroting Jerry's lines and not being able to function musically was said on purpose by writers close to the band to calm the transition that the core band decided to make because of other reasons- stealing drugs, bad vibes from fights with Donna, maybe if there was some resentment Keith had for other members sleeping with Donna, or wanting a more synth/fender rhodes type sound - but not playing ability. Same with Brent - I didn't notice the plinking in live recordings until late '80s, which to me was an awful music box sound... The early Brent had a great synth sound that again, I believe Jerry and the band wanted to explore and Keith was not too keen on- reconstruction and JGB also had that sound and plus with Merl S influence we see why Jerry may have wanted a fender rhodes/organ type player and that could be some factor in Keith's dismissal. Back to why Brent didn't last- I think that maybe Brent's going over the edge was not ultimately due to addiction and fear of detox from the DUIs but maybe the writing was on the wall that the band was going to go back to more of a Keith sound and get Bruce H or just another player that was more functional and did not give suicide vibes and he couldn't take it... or the organization knew they needed to keep touring and if Brent was in jail the show must go on with someone else. Anyway - pure speculation but its interesting to think that there could be some spin as to what the real reasons were for the dissatisfaction/end of both keyboardists...
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

More DVD style packaging that won't fit on my CD shelf. I'd rather something like the 1969 Fillmore West box or the Winterland boxes, even So Many Roads. Why not just make them like Sunshine Daydream and i can just put it in storage next to that, the Spring 1977 and the Warlocks box.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Bobby: "I'm moving to Australia." ________________________________________ Kayak Guy - if you turn it on its side, it'll fit I suspect, although of course it may stick out depending on shelf-depth. Glass half full?
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

That's not really fitting on my CD shelf if it's hanging off the end. Another thing for the storage room and not the CD wall/Jerry shrine. a small disappointment, but still just think about the how the CDs will be secured in the DVD style box, there's no room for digipacks, it's sleeves that will scratch the CDs when you take them out.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

I can't really tell much about the box dimensions or cd packaging from the picture. Hope the cases are not sleeves like 30 Trips- I'm not a fan of those cases. Maybe it's time for the secret weapon- Miss Cleo from the Psychic Readers Network. This would atleast solve the packaging riddle.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Sixtus - Been down under for 7.5 years and still loving it! (Except for waiting on Dave's Picks to arrive. Sometimes it takes forever.)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

it must be on the back side of that box. That rhymed too many times. errrr....... I can't wait for the great shots of the Red Rocks and all of us there, screaming and dancing as our band elevated us all. This will be a delight to revisit those 'daze' back in July of 78 and the joy of towing you all into the shared bliss of our collective 'flashback'. The Truth is realized in an instant, the act is practiced step by step.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

It appears to be the same format as the Spring 1977 box which while beautiful, does not fit on the CD shelves and ended up in a ziplock freezer bag in storage.The overly tight sleeves make not scratching the CDs difficult are yet another design flaw. http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/may-1977-box-digital PS. the new artwork is cool, but the package size is still nonstandard for audio boxes. Why not use the LP format box and digipacks like the 1990 boxes and give us the artwork in LP sized printings we can appreciate without a magnifying glass. http://www.dead.net/features/sketch-pad-making-july-1978-complete-recor…
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Then again, I kinda like the artwork from Spring '77. I keep putting this stuff up proudly in my office and my gf keeps trying hide it and chick the place out. Not gonna happen! Seriously.. this box is a coup for all of us. One of the more treasured runs in GD lore, returned betty's, beautiful artwork, a great Oroboros and HendrixFreak series of stories. In the immortal words of hbob and the good doctor, Rock On.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....there is a simple remedy if it happens. Use 2 or 3 drops of paste toothpaste (not gel), grab a lint free cloth, and rub outwards. Rise with tap water. And dry with said cloth. Also outwards. Ta Da!....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

I may have missed it but does anyone know how much the downloads will cost? Maybe the same as the physical? and uh, maybe not?
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

arent these some of the betty boards she had called to tell the office she had and wanted to get to them when she was being evicted and the GD office wouldnt return her calls? then they were found many years later in a storage locker someone bought...since the people didnt want to deal with the legalities they pretty much handed them over to GDP, but poor betty gets nothing out of this...pretty pathetic, i think GDP should share the wealth with her
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Vguy72 Could you explain in more detail? Are you saying to rub the CD? For a second there, I thought maybe you were talking about how to prevent scratching. So looking forward to this box!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nowhere does Vguy72 refer to CDs, so he is obviously referring to the cases. You apparently have to apply toothpaste to the inside of the case and rub outwards. Presumably one should remove the CD from the case before doing this. Afterwards, it would seem like a good idea to hang the rinsed case up to dry completely before returning the CD to what remains of the case. Good luck with this remedy. Will the first person to try this please post a video for the rest of us to enjoy!
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

too funny. Yes the toothpaste on the cd can correct scratches on the cd themselves. I have not gone this far yet and tried it. Usually I have had luck just taking a light lent free cloth and rub the disk to get them to play again. I have read and seen it done. On a bad cd, I have taken it to a (still in business) cd/dvd exchange store where they have a refinisher. This usually takes care of the really bad disks. I am busy with work right now, vguy can explain much better... Here is a link to look at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=removing+scratches+on+a+cd
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

I find reality checks like yours disturbing at times. 26 years ago?!? Jeez....that was a quick quarter century. It seems like just a few years ago they had that contest to name the place. And, as I understand it, it's not even called that anymore. The naming rights went to a bank or something just as creative. We left NY about 15 years ago and I haven't kept up on much from the old homestead excepting a few good people. I know I'm just the latest of the millions of people who are shocked by the briskness of time once we get past our twentieth year, but I still felt the need to say it. I guess I'll just let out a big sigh and get back to work, now.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think the box looks GREAT. I think it will be about the size of cd's (like winterland and fillmore and 3 from the vault. Scratches - I don't know about anyone else, but I use the "SkipDr". Have it for 4 or 5 years now. I get a LOT of cd's and dvd's from the library and they can be in terrible condition. This stupid thing works. It can be slow, but it does work. You stick the cd in it and turn the crank, it rotates the disc while spinning a "grinding" wheel. I've taken some incredibly bad scratches out and gotten cd/dvd to work again. A must have in my book. Get replacement grind wheels when you buy one, they don't last forever.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

not sure but I would imagine it would cost the same, if not a little less. no packaging, shipping, etc. It wouldn't cost more, i would think.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

"and not too expensive" (MPfans should get that) looks like a good product. we hates it when the precious music skips.
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

I tried the toothpaste method. It sealed up the big cavity in the center of the disc.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I haven't used it on a CD, but i've used it on my son's x-box games and can tell you the toothpaste method absolutely works!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I've had the guy at my local record store tell me Turtle Wax or anything that buffs/waxes your car works. I've never used it myself so I can't say.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Not sure if the scratches are fixed, but my CD's are now pearly white. Colgate Advanced White. Actually gonna give it a try on my Sunshine Daydream CD.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I guess I am lucky, or just so damn careful, that I don't have this issue. I have over 2,000 cds and zero scratches! I guess that is due to the fact that I don't let anyone else touch these babies and I treat them like the crown jewels. I wish I was in as good a shape as my discs! lol. Rock on
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

This is looking good. 5-8-77 in the works as a single box on the way ala Sunshine Daydream. No video. But stand alone box set is coming.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I don't know if I want to risk toothpaste on my 2011 Road Trips Bonus CD from 12/6/73. I was lucky to get that for a buck seventy-five. Since there's a sign on my lawn that says Dead Storage, I'll tell you - the first thing I did to solve the issue with CDs getting scratched by the sandpaper lining in the cases, was to remove them all from the cases and store them in a CD album. It was cool, because I bought a black case that held a couple hundred CDs, and I ordered a bunch of Dead stickers to put all over it, like a cheap version of the E72 steamer trunk. Unfortunately I was finding even this caused some abrasions on the CD playing surface, which really pissed me off after all of the effort and probably a hundred bucks in CD albums and stickers. What I ended up doing was putting all of my Dead CDs in those generic white CD sleeves (you know which ones), and I store them in the CD bays of the 30 Trips storage crates (and I put my 30 Trips covers with all of the others - on display on my shelves, like books). Problem resolved. Unfortunately, it takes four 30 Trips crates to hold everything that's been officially released between 1966 and 1978 (I left the 80s and 90s stuff in the CD albums), so it's not a solution that will work for everyone - but you can implement the white sleeve solution just as easily by buying a generic CD chest (or build your own if you're handy!). You can try ebay for the empty 30 Trips crates, though it was easier to get them when the box set first came out. There are six CD bays in each box, and each bay can hold 15 - 18 CDs, depending on how thick the sleeves are (they vary by manufacturer I discovered) and how many you want to stuff in there. I do 15 per bay, so about 90 per crate. I have a fifth crate for the next 90 CDs they release......
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Do tell more, what know you of this fabled 5/8/77 release??? Or is that just positive speculation?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Listening now...my brain is melting into my morning coffee cup... ;-) Way to rock the Heartland...
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Almost all my box sets with tight cardboard sleeves have arrived with at least one CD in the set with a minor, but still playable visible scratch. It's seems like they are scratched when being assembled, I am VERY careful with my CDs and I don't even let other people look at them let alone touch them. The toothpaste trick is something to do when you decide to resell the CDs, not before the 1st play. Tight sleeves are not archival, though they might look cool enough to score a packaging Grammy for the Rhino team. If so many people remove the CDs from the original packaging and use alternate CD sleeves, doesn't it seem like there is a problem? Go back and read any of the recent 70's boxes comment sections and as soon as they are delivered, the boards are filled with complaints about scratched CDs, ripped sleeves and "special methods" to get the CDs out of the sleeves without damaging the sleeves or scratching the CDs. At least when they do the 1980's boxes they use digipacks, they should all be like that and then they could all be on the same shelf and proudly displayed, not hidden in storage because of their non standard sizing. Maybe they think 1970's fans will take anything they can get and have to try harder on the 1980's boxes ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Speaking of protecting cd's, a personal favorite is the Medusa Maneuver. It's one of the Hickory Smoked Spells, and if anyone stares too long at my discs, their hair turns into the scales of the Komodo dragon. In terms of protection, maybe cd packaging peaked with hard plastic cases. Fortunately, Dave's Picks found a balance between cd protection and sustainability.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Reminds me of Nigel-"don't even look at it"
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html