• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

whoa unbroken chain,Looking for familiar faces in an empty window pane. Listening for the secret, searching for the sound But I could only hear the preacher and the baying of his hounds.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....it'll do you fineWhen the cold winds blow, it'll ease your mind The shape it takes could be yours to choose, What you may win, what you may lose....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Far be it for me to tell anyone what music to listen to or how to enjoy it. If this young man enjoys the GD studio stuff now, then he's on the right track- I am sure that someday he'll have that epiphany that blows his mind.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Same songs like on the albums...We have a HERETIC in out midst - Lies like this grow and become 2-Headed Monsters before you know it…have the womenfolk soak the rags in kerosene and we'll smoke the devil himself from his storefront lair…the menfolk will be ready for the HERETIC with pitchforks and bongs galore as well as every other smoking implement…we will MAKE him see the error of his ways. We will also need to bring at least the E72, 30 Trips, both Winterlands and both SPRING '90 box sets as proof.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

that's just a rough guess, if I was to add them all up, cd's, burned discs, downloaded shows, vinyl and even tapes, it's probably closer to 3000. And yet, I want them all, all of it, not one show do I not want, is that an obsession? Best Damn music ever made in the world, so too much is not enough, never ever enough.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

the best ever performance of birdSONG. LMAO, that gets me every time, thanks for the reminder Sixtus. The studio albums comment is pretty fun Bach2Bach. I never bought any of their studio albums and have only heard the hits off of In The Dark and Foolish Heart. I had already been exposed to a plethora of live Dead before I ever really heard any studio recordings, and when I did, it was a best of compilation. I quickly decided they paled in comparison (except for the In the Dark stuff and Foolish Heart), and I never bothered with the studio LPs. A very good friend recently sent me the 5.1 Surround mixes of Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, so I've given them a few spins.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I think you need one more. Its a must have, and has what may be the best ever version of Bird Song ever performed.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Okay, you may think I'm another heretic! But I honestly think there are too many releases, and fear this cottage industry now borders on exploiting an addiction. A musical addiction, a grateful addiction, a healthy addiction (as it induces smiles and soaring spirits)? Yes to all three. And count me among the willfully addicted. But I'd argue (and you may disagree) that our expectations and cravings for the next release -- series, stand-alone, box, mega-box) -- are exponential to the rate and quantity that IS released. It's vice-versa, too; demand has driven the market. But I'm pretty sure if Rhino/Dead-land decided to release a show a month, or even a download a week at slightly reduced cost, many would respond accordingly. And while the release wheel hasn't reached that speed yet, I do think it's barely sustainable at current levels. We all may choose to buy or not to buy. But that many completists are among us cannot be argued. And in that sense, there's almost now a pressure to buy, particularly as runs are now limited and second markets so inflated. I don't buy every release...but I struggle over nearly every one that I don't. Can we have too many shows? Not necessarily, and no judging nor begrudging any who want as much of the vault as possible. It's clear we carefully listen to and appreciate (or at least fairly critique) every version of every song we can get our ears on; it's legitimate musical enjoyment and even scholarly criticism. But at the current rate of releases, I do worry that the discipline-challenged among us could be spending more than they ought to in order to keep up. When there were only a couple releases a year (all those years ago), we were pretty happy with that at the time. Yes, these are the glory years for releases! But I do think there's a bit of a double-edge. Just sayin'. Peace all.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Where do you live in the country? A young guy in his mid to late 20's who still collects beanie babies, sounds fishy, you sure you didn't accidentally flashback to the early 90's? I haven't even met a person who would admit they collect those in over 2 decades! Did you give him a show recommendation so he can 'get it' too or just leave him like a fish out of water?
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

What are you going to do when GDM puts the vault on line and sells flacs of the shows for $10 a download, like the old Download series. OR they charge a premium for a subscription to a "Hi Res" radio stream from the vault? Now with exclusive Bettys only available on GDM. it's like musical crack and you know some people are going to have it all. It will make LMA AUD only, and all the SBDs finally disappear from public circulation. I'd like to see a show a month for sale, or a tour a quarter in LP sized box sets ;) I don't think Rhino could work that fast and keep up the quality, but for those out of print releases, I see them coming as flacs sooner than a CD rerelease. they just need to get the storefront set up, they already have the digital files ready to go. All ir would take to restart the download series is a email announcement and adding it to the current server with Spring 1977 and the other CD sold out and flac only sets. Everything should be available for download a year after it goes on sale and sells out, if not sooner.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

We are coming off an abnormal year to be sure. Reached the saturation point? A better question for the husbands and wives of us deadheads perhaps.. I will say what it has done to me is cut down on listens from non-released material (archive.org, etc.), cut down on the SiriusXM shows I listen to and cut down on repeat listens (which I really do miss). It took more than a grand out of my wallet last year also. Today I hit 5/23/72 for the first repeat listen in entirely too long.. What a great show! I highly recommend it. ..and a great day to all you freaks and heretics out there.. May the Farce be with you.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

A few months ago I did a count and have kept a running list. Including DaP18 and the upcoming Red Rocks set, we are up to 260 shows that have at least 50 minutes of music officially released (seemed like the ideal cut-off to obtain most of the "meat" of a show). I have a list, but won't post it here since it will stretch down the page. In short: 1960s: 26 shows (1969 leads with 16 concerts) 1970s: 159 shows (1972 leads with 35 concerts, 1977 has 23, 1974 has 20, 1971 and 1978 have 17, 1973 has 16, 1976 has 11) 1980s: 39 shows (1980 leads with 10 concerts) 1990s: 36 shows (1990 leads with 24 concerts) No other individual years break double figures.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Mr. Jack,Funny, I used to keep a list of shows, and partial shows, I had, and one of my categories was something like "substantial portion of the show" and that was roughly 50 minutes (a whole 1st or 2nd set would qualify for "half the show"). MDJim, Yes, the digestion factor (time for repeated listens) is the other piece. As for seats, I forgo them at any opportunity for a general admission pit or floor. Love to see my heroes up close ~ their communications, reactions, smiles, smirks, and especially musicianship. The GD was the only major band I saw in the 80's who offered that, and I took full advantage; well, for a three-night stand like Hampton, 2nd night was our posse's traditional day to camp in line for guaranteed close-up. Other nights optional. Never got front row, but was within 2-4 heads standing distance four or five times, and within the front third many more. Yes, you get crunched, and there's always a duphus who muscles in halfway through (that you pray moves on), but it's still my favorite place to be. Especially when Phil Lesh is in the house, and his bombs lift you off the floor :) Speaking of which, Springsteen had an open floor in Portland last week; huge selling point for me, as the only other time I'd seen him was from the rafters of a football stadium in '85 (a near forgotten concert, not coincidentally). Just days before showtime, I decided to give Bruce & Co (and me) another chance at the E-Street experience. So glad I did. After 30 years, he reached my heart. I was just a few heads behind the pit, dead center. And that 66-year-old guy pounded it for three hours and twenty (without a "short break"). Not too shabby, and I finally got to see Rosalita! (Another sore point from RFK '85.) Because the Night blasted the roof off. Those guys oughta be in that great American bands conversation, too.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Take me now baby here as I amPull me close, try and understand Desire is hunger is the fire I breathe Love is a banquet on which we feed The man has a way with words. Seeing him soon in Dallas, being from Jersey it was required by law to see him. Hoping for a Thunder Road, my wife would love Rosalita. Anything from Darkness.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Hey, Patti Smith co-wrote Because the Night! She plays it a lot, too.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....funny this topic comes up, as I am in the middle of highlighting the official releases I own and shows have been to personally in the latest DeadBase 50 release. I have a lot. And want more. It is definitely an addiction....
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

antojo, I also love seeing my heroes up close. Never had the pleasure with the Dead, but I paid big bucks for the Who, Yes, Rush, and (drum roll) KISS (You Wanted the Best and You Got the Best!). Alas, they're all done. The Who and Rush pretty much had their farewell tours this past year, and Yes has been without Anderson for over a decade (and now Squire is dead), and KISS, while many in the Dead crowd probably consider not worth the price of admission, were actually a great heavy rock band when Ace Frehley was with them, but he's also been gone over a decade. Sigh. There are no more heroes left in the world. If you do like the old KISS, check out Ace Frehley's Anomaly record; almost as good as his '78 solo record. Space Invader is also a solid outing, but not as good as Anomaly. He also has a cover record coming out in a couple of weeks with some great guests (Slash, Mike McCready, Lita Ford). It's called Origins Vol I
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Still worthy of front row, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin, Robert Fripp and any band with a female lead singer that wears short skirts.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

:)
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I'm always amazed at how short some skirts are from people on stage. Short enough you can hardly be at ground level without stuff showing, let alone 3-5 feet above you! Two thing.... My first father-in-law used to call them duck skirts, because they came right up to the quack. A very old joke.... Old guy standing in a candy store where a beautiful women works in a very short skirt. Three kids come in and go to the counter. The woman ask the first kid, what would you like? He replies, "I want ten cents worth of raisins", these are in a jar on the top shelf. She pulls the ladder over and goes up to fill a bag with raisins. Once up the ladder the kid jumps around and looks straight up the ladder up her skirt. She fills the bags and starts down and the kid jumps back. She then ask the next kid and what would you like, he too wants 10 cents worth of raisins. So again she goes up the ladder and the second kid around and looks up her skirt. As she starts down he jumps back. Again she ask the third kid who of course wants 10 cents worth of raisins, this time when she goes and the third kid jumps around the old man moves in with him in viewing up her skirt. Only this time before coming down she glances down and sees the kid and the old man. She looks at the old guy and ask is yours raisin too, and he replies "No but it's twitching a might"
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Patty Smyth co-wrote Because the Night? :-)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Pretty good.. I cant believe you remember those old jokes. My memory aint what it used to be. If you remember the 80's.. front row = short shorts (sorry for the visual).
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Help, help.. I'm being repressed! Resist not.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I have six of them. All with their tags....Fave is my JerryBear. Grey fur, black shirt. Almost got hooked, but the moment passed.... ...good joke Dennis. The sad part is, am I now that old man?...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

Sixtus - Thanks for the youtube. My wife came home from work tonight and I showed her. She laughed and as she walked out of my office she said "that is more true than you know". I knew. Luckily, the cost of shows and investment is no longer an issue for me, but I do try to make sure when we go out for a day in the car 90% of the music I put on is non-dead (and she happily went many shows with me back in the day). How much Dead music is enough? Enough is never really enough. Though like others have said, there is so much we have now, relistening is limited, which really is too bad. My quick count in my dead folders is some 175 official shows (~45 min to full show each) and some 275 digital boots (plus who knows how many old cassettes I still have but never listen too). I don't have any vinyl anymore, when we moved west, in an effort to downsize, I had my wife send all my old vinyl to the 16 year old daughter of her cousin who is a dead fan (when she visited last year, her first words on meeting me were "thanks for the music" which made it all worthwhile). The music can't be denied. As to where did you watch them from? The vast majority of the time, wherever Ticketron or mail-in, or the ticket I bought outside put me (and if that meant I had to watch Brents glorious Blow Away on 3-16-90 from the farthest end of the arena, so be it). Only once was in a seat on the floor (next to the SB, and seeing Bruce visit the SB during intermission, ooooh, knew what was coming up!). Though if it was Hampton, Richmond, Greensboro, or RFK, and gen admin, I was likely up close. On Jerry's side. At some point, he started to recognize me. Which probably speaks more to my out-of-control behaviour and distinctive headgear than anything else. But for a few years there, he would look me in the eye and smile at least once a show. Hi to a friend he never met. And I am sure a lot of people felt that from him (even if we each were just imagining it).
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I would say that regarding collecting GD shows, there's never too many, but would certainly say that there is not nearly enough '79 and later officially released. Especially the period between '79 and 'Spring '89.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

the need for future releases to be from 1979-1989 is a must. It goes without saying that this is the time frame that has been completely ignored compared to the complete, totally biased 1970-1978. one of the "1970-1978" only posters put up a chart earlier in week....R U KIDDIN?!?! I mean in general 1970-1978 has gotten all the attention, 1972/1974/1977 has been so overdone even you diehard 1970s posters should recognize that..... We've never had a official release from: 1984, 1986, and only one form 1981, 1985, and 1987. 30 Trips doesn't count, a show from every year was the theme....so even TPTB police had to give 1980s show for that....and those certainly weren't the best sounding 1980s shows in that box, other than: the shows from 1989, 1986, and 1991. C'mon bring on the 1980s, it's laughable with the favoritism towards 1970-1978...
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

collecting every show that you get a hold on is like.....smoking , i did it before and i will though i`m sometimes sick of it. That is not heretic , that`s the truth , sometimes i do wonder why i have this longing fpr every Dead show i do not own right now but most times i just need to have them.....like today when i drove home from work listening to what is the ultimate Mornimg Dew for me ( 30 Trips , 84 )....and all icouls do was smile .....and light another Camel....
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

if we get any 80s I want something from 83 or 84 ooooorrrrr summer 85 boxer
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

So Spacebrother posts that there have not been enough shows from '79 to '89 released. I wouldn't expect anything else from him, but of course he is right. What really cracked me up was RV3's subsequent post where he actually states: "We've never had a official release from: 1984, 1986, and only one form (sic) 1981, 1985, and 1987. 30 Trips doesn't count". 30 Trips doesn't count! WTF. Get real, dude. That was funnier than the dirty old man joke. I'm still laughing now.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I think we also need more '60's shows released. I have a particular fondness for '68-'70. While I'm at it, how about some Reconstruction and Go Ahead show releases? Now THESE would make great box sets!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

More 60s, yes! I was listening to 8/21/68 yesterday, THIS needs to come out! Also, a 10/25/69 and 11/2/69 combo would be just the thing. Also, also, RV3 is the human equivalent of the herpes virus. He just keeps coming back, even though no one wants him.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Happy Thursday everyone..gettin' caught up here after being out of pocket for a bit. Stumbled across a Dick's Pick I had on the shelf (ie, I have played before, otherwise it'd still be in a separate area) but I know I haven't yet, so listening to Dick's Picks 20 in the car this week, September 1976. Not far in yet, liked the end of Disc 1 alot and up to Cosmic Charlie...I had not heard one that late before. Very interesting.. Off the rest of the week as well, so just spinning some tunes around the house too. Somehow keep ending up with the '95 Trip on, I really like alot of it. Phil is singing Robbie Robertson now, also very interesting.. Was back a few pages, watched the US Blues from the 4/12/78 video, really hopping. Fantastic there are videos available for so many shows, and synced up to the SBDs. Voodoonola..if someone asks if you're a god, you say Yes! And drummers don't make house calls.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

Was on the floor plenty of times for the dead but never front row. Years later (about 2000 or 2001) I did stand next to the stage for a Phil and friends show--really cool experience. Was also in front of the stage for a Rat Dog show once as well..agree with whoever said that one of the best aspects is watching their communication with one another (both verbal and non verbal). If you have ever sat really low for an NBA game it's sort of the same thing -tons of little things that you pick up by observing the seemingly small interactions... Now that I'm at the age when some of us bring kids to the shows, I'm more than happy to stand in the back of the lawn during summer shows and just enjoy being surrounded by great music in a (hopefully) great environment....
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Some interesting discussions going on as usual..The story about the kid that only listens to the albums made me laugh. I would not consider someone that doesn't listen almost exclusively to the live stuff a Dead Head. After all that is where the magic is. I play the greatest hits cd in the car for the wife so she won't freak out about a 30 minute Dark Star but I would never listen to a studio album on my own. I do have several of the Liquid Blue Bears. They are cool. they are NOT beanie babies! HA! They are named after songs or tours and have cool little tags around their necks. I have one giant sized one named Viola Lee and I have the Jerry doll. But then again I have an entire room filled with Grateful Dead stuff and my bathroom is all GD decorated. I like to surround myself with the things I love so really into collecting stuff I dig. The music comes first of course but after that I really enjoy all the cool Dead merchandise I can find to decorate with.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I missed the Dead by too many decades, but I've had one Dylan front row..leaning on the front rail 4/20/13 in Kalamazoo, MI. Stared me down during What Good Am I?, that was strange / surreal. My second will be coming up in July, going to catch him and miss Mavis in Maine, got front row for that one as well. We saw the Black Keys on the rail at the end of 2014 in Houston too; My friend is a Black Keys guy like I'm a Dylan guy, so I appreciate that. It was fun, but not going to change my life, ya know. Caugh the Avetts and Old Crow in New Orleans last year on the rail too..not as good as the other time I was really up front for the Avetts (The Pageant in St. Louis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8NRbNiUoaM) but especially Old Crow really killed it. Love them live. It was also at the Pageant we were up front for a great Wilco show, part of a run they did there. Tweedy held out the microphone and you can hear us singing on Hummingbird, haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkfM96GYmDk Anymore, I'm done with just being in the same building as the artist..I'd rather listen / watch at home if I'm just going to watch the big screens (not that Dylan supports those). I'll pay extra on the aftermarket if its a show I really want to go too, in order to get up close. Oh finally caught up on this thread, I think it was Dennis that mentioned Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys? Second that for sure. And cracked up at LoveJerry's reference on the Dead in town, I presume it was intentional but if not, 'it ain't often that Hank Williams comes to town.' Super cheesy, but I love that one. Some of the great '78 posts got me digging on DP18 again..currently spinning TOO > Wharf Rat > Around and Around from Iowa. Roger Wilco, Hawkeye-san.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Who else would love to see a box set from the fall 1974 European tour? also anyone know where i could possibly find online recordings of that tour in particular
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

You brought it up so I'm going there.You decorated your bathroom in GD? Please continue. I have been thinking about getting one of these for my elderly father, I guess adding some bumper stickers MIGHT be okay. I couldn't believe this was real. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

To add to Zuckfun's links.. Archive.Org has online access to most shows that circulate. Searching isn't difficult, but both Deadlists.com and Setlists.net allow you to pull up a show and click a link that gets you to the show in archive.org. You can stream soundboards and download audience tapes. If your tech savvy, you can probably figure out a few tricks that help you get more.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I guess this isn't really tied to another post or even have any significant affiliation with any of the current discussions, but I just had to jump in and tout the well known attributes of my listening choice for the afternoon - Dick's Picks 19, recorded by Kidd Candelario on 10-19-73 in Oklaholma City. Although the caveat emptor warns of a "skeevy overture", I can't hear it for the life of me! As soon as this well worn favorite is dispensed by the Klipschs, I am in captive obedience to the groove. A standard set list it may be, but every track has that sweet Fall '73 sprinkle of extra 'oomph' that elevates this show into classic territory. The set-ending PITB is astonishing, foreshadowing how Kreutzmann will later take the reigns during the 26 1/2 minute Dark Star that had the MLB jam executed so well it was named on the disc. The Morning Dew that follows is superb, although I'm partial to the DP7 version from Europe 11 months later, this one flows out of the Dark Star and along with Sugar Mag, ends the show on a high note. Expecting a standard but enthused encore, imagine folks' surprise when they were hit with Eyes of the World, complete with a tight 7 jam at the end! AND THEN, Stella Blue! What an encore! And of course they couldn't just slip off the stage after such a heavy Stella, so we get a third choice of JGB to complete a truly magical night! It's interesting to note that the review of this show by Joe T. Fountain in Deadbase 11 concludes with the sentence, "Time to enshrine this show on a Dick's Picks!!" Haha, couldn't have agreed with you more, Joe T!Anywho, we've all got this badass nugget in our collections, so if you haven't spun it lately, well, you know you got to get on it!! Also, I can say that this was Floridabobaloo's favorite '73 excursion, so as Bob n Jer swap vocals for the Jack Straw verses, let's raise our glasses high, toast The Loo, and keep on keeping on! Peace to all!
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

I like the studio albums. Not as much as the live shows, but they do have their place. "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead" are great albums, and "In the Dark" isn't bad either. I'm currently trying to get the studio albums I don't already have on vinyl. I know I can get them through dead.net, but it gives me a reason to go to the used record stores ( we actually still have a few in San Francisco ). I do like vinyl better than CDs. The only thing I'd like better on CDs are live shows because it's a lot easier to listen to. Some of those shows on vinyl would be 10 records and you'd have to get up and turn the side in the middle of Dark Star... I like the CDs for driving too. A good long show is great road trip music.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I was chatting with someone pre-show in St. Pete, FL (1988?) and was standing at the very front of the middle aisle on the floor, which ended behind Row 4 for some reason. Suddenly, the lights went down and since no one was in the seat right in front of me, I vaulted into it. No one ever came to claim that seat, so I stayed there for the whole show. Other than general admission situations, it was the closest I ever got to the GD. I remember Weir's guitar speaker cabinets being mounted under the drum riser, pointed right at my head. They were wicked loud! Where is Floridabobaloo??
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html