• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Sorry to bear bad news but the last I heard Quaaludes are no longer made anywhere in the world - please somebody prove me wrong! Edit: Jim your quaalude problem is no more than a half!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Just tuned in and saw the remarks on Quaaludes. I hope you're joking there is no pleasure involved just death. Anyone who thinks otherwise wasn't there
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I agree that taking a lude at a show wasn't exactly "fun", but an experience nonetheless. Sounds are like a 45 rpm record being played at 33 1/3, movement is like moving through cement, thought processes are basically shut down. Trying to speak is an effort in futility. We were young and sometimes stupid. Still, wouldn't trade it for the world. I think that show was Shoreline '91?....don't worry though, the driver that night didn't take one, but he was shrooming. Like I said, young and stupid/invincible....
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for the comments on the 5 Trips; rdevil and 420bandito, I think I am with you on subbing out '77 for either '75 or '76. Need to do a critical analysis there.. I'm also going to fire up the '70 show again, I knew I enjoyed it but you have me excited to play it through again. Keith - Great story, spoiled indeed around these parts! Since hearing the Playing on random the other night, I've been meaning to get back to a proper listen of Sunshine Daydream, it's been some time. Or maybe fire up the Blu-Ray again though I don't know if I can handle that naked raven dude right now.. Jim - Glad the new gear is working out, I really don't know anything about good headphones but I'd like to look into it down the line. When I'm here at the computer, I'm usually playing tunes over both the computer speakers and the good receiver / speakers, which are in this room but not oriented to the computer desk of course. I actually sat on the couch in the proper spot for the speakers to listen to the end of today's XM show (May '80 Boston?) and part of 12/29/77 on disc, and I forget how awesome the new Klipsch speakers are. I am not doing them justice sitting over here!! Finished Bill Walton's book today as well, after a bike ride. It was entertaining but about what you'd expect from such affairs. He mentions the Dead quite a bit, but never really goes into any details or stories therewithin. I definitely respect his way back from spine surgery, I didn't realize that in the last few years. I also don't know much about his UCLA or NBA playing days (my time was the Jordan era and on) so that was cool. Definitely an interesting guy, I would have liked to have more of his character survive the whitewashing of the co-writer and editing. The 'ludes conversation cracks me up, reminds me of Dennis Leary's classic stand-up No Cure for Cancer.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

....if you think quaaludes were fun or an interesting experience you wouldn't have missed you weren't really there
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Quick question..I am ripping and listening to One From The Vault for the first time, and I see track #7 listed as both King Solomon's Marbles and Stronger Than Dirt, depending where you look. I don't have Blues For Allah yet, it looks like King Solomon is a suite with Stronger Than Dirt listed as part one? Based on the performance, would you consider it the full King Solomon's Marbles or is it just the first part? Pedantic?....maybe. I am very particular on tagging though, God help you if the punctuation and capitalization differ on versions of the same song. (I had to change 124 versions of 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright' to 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right' when I realized the error of my ways)
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Sorry for the word vomit....but this Crazy Fingers is different. Woah. Or maybe all the other Crazy Fingers I've heard are the different ones. Huh.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Ok so there is a question on how fun 714's might have been.But on this one let's see............ Meeting a hot girl on a Saturday night and going home and having coitus WITHOUT a condom! In the 70's and early 80's it was standard operating procedure. Today? Not in your wildest dreams!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

David Bowie (RIP). "Got a handful of ludes......" Apparently he liked them back in the 70's. Black Tees: Does John Entwistle's skeleton jumpsuit count?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Snafu -my apologies if you lost someone due to any drug use. vguy72 - quaaludes weren't a good idea at shows…especially if someone was driving.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

How does everyone feel about the GD and 1976? I know the next Dave's is from '76 which I'm very much looking forward to. After '71 and '70 my favorite year is '76. I honestly think it's the hinge year between '65-'75 and '77-'95. Your thoughts?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Reminds me of that line in the move, "There's a time and a place for everything, and its called the 70's." or maybe it was ..."and its called college." As for '76, much has been written.. a building block year. I really get drawn into the evolution.. the changes in gear and technology, even personnel. I like to listen to long strings of shows and witness the growth. Trying something out, wrong turn, wrong turn, right turn, perfection, let it all collapse and rebuild on another theme/idea. '76 was a transitional year with some really nice surprises.. early in the year (summer) I like the new songs and arrangements of some classics.. Mission, Comes a Time, the new Playin' sandwiches. You can't have '77 and '78 without first '76. I am purposely avoiding the Orpheum shows and the listening party stuff once it gets posted but have listened to them before. I bet its going to be a treat.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Thank you for your kind words. The early 70's were bad the late 70's worse. By 1980 there were more dui arrests in southern Florida for quaaludes than booze. Icecrmckd Alan Wilson's choice was reds ( seconol ) and wine didn't work any better
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Lots were around in my youth.. I just never got into them. It was like alcohol without having any control over your dosage to me. After a brief test period.. I abstained, but there was plenty of it around.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Snafu - Seconal and wine is even worse. I know from personal experience. Being in Florida I can see Qualudes being a problem. Being from The Philadelphia area, public transportation was much better and it was used. I live in southern NJ and heroin has become a massive problem now. JimInMd - there's a reply to you regarding Dave's picks. It's under the most recent Dave's picks.
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

VGuy, despite having previous listening plans last night, I took your advice and listened to 4-1-90, mainly because you mentioned the first set Victim and I really enjoyed that from the 89 show in Boxzilla. 4-1-90 hit the spot last night and man, the sound is just phenomenal.Oddly enough, I went for one of the worst sounding releases today, the second night of The Long Island Sound box, both Bobby and Jerry's sets. Jerry is absolutely smokin'! Great performance despite the poor sound. Actually, it didn't sound bad on the little player I had it on today. But on the big stereo the deficiencies are noticeable. Muleskinner, happy listening to 1FTV. I'm sure I'm not alone in that every moment of that show is etched in my mind as it was the only official release of a full show on CD for awhile.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

VGuy got lots of us to tune into Spring '90 last night. I enjoyed my listen as well. I need to check out Long Island Sound again. That Hartford show has one of the more smokin', hot ass jams in Deal that comes to mind. There is a great YouTube of the show too.. he keeps reviving that solo and taking it for another lap, one crescendo after another until my ear drums start to ring. I didn't give the sound quality on the box set that much attention, JGB is more a limited commodity...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Vguy72- you also got me listening to 4/1/90 from the Spring '90 TOO box set last night. It sounded great.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....cocaine. Yes she does. Like Billy Kreutzmann said, and I paraphrase, "Fuck that shit." Fun for a week or two, then you're just chasing that rabbit down it's evil hole. You will never catch it again.... ....Vguy's picks. Tonight it's Dafos. Hart, Airto & Purnim. If any of you have it, dust that fucker off and test your speakers....
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

You can choose your medicine,Well here's another goodbye to another good friend After all is said and done Got to move while it's still fun Let me walk before they make me run...
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Indeed Keith knew what he was up against eh? The LAW. Sorry if Ive been a bad influence kids.........I had the Lemmy movie on with Netflix! And yet, Moderation and Quality is key..... for anything.........
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Good eye on this one. For some of the album releases, the band wanted to have more track names, hence the suites. I don't know if they got better compensation for it, or what. Anyway, some have been pretty distinct and you can both tell where one leaves off and another begins AND they correspond pretty well to the live performances (Weather Report, Terrapin) and other less so (That's It for the Other One, especially Tenderfeet, etc). And of course, sometimes there is a mislabel (like Cryptical when it is actually Other One, for instance. Was that Hundred Year Hall?). Anyway, King Solomon's Marbles in Other One territory. For a nice summary and discussion of the issues, there are labeling inconsistencies here. Here's a link: http://www.whitegum.com/intro.htm Short of it, original LP and the CD are labeled differently. LP = 2 parts: 1 = King Solomon's Marbles; 2 = Stronger than Dirt or Milkin' the Turkey. CD: King Solomon's Marles: Pt 1 = Sronger, Pt 2 = Milkin'. I always think of it as the second, with the bridge being the drums breakdown transition into the more guitar driven Milkin'. If memory serves, anyway.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Many artists had contracts where they got more royalties/compensation the more track names they had, hence the Blues For Allah suite being split up. Alot of bands did this, my favorite examples are the first two Soft Machine albums that run as continuos pieces of music but are split up into around 15 tracks each.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

No bad influence worries here. Everyone should be able to choose their fun if it doesn't harm others. Never a fan of pills, but something about the psychedelics just clicked on some fundamental level. Moderation may not have been the word to describe my youth. As far as the law, CCR put it well, Take you a glass of water Make it against the law See how good the water tastes When you can't have any at all
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Keithfan, got a kick out of reading your description of acquiring E'72 one by one. Your process sounds exactly like my current situation. I also had the releases that were out before the box set, and I passed on the box when it came out. Later, I got the compilation volume 2 after I heard the Darkstar - Other One from Bickershaw on a GD hour. Then I got the Holland shows as a good two show sample. Cut to, now I have 8 of the shows and the increasing realization that it is likely that I will get all of them. That leads to a question of whether it is worth it to just get the all music edition, or whether it's cheaper to just get the 14 I don't have. I know that the price dropped a bunch last year on Black Friday, I think as much as 15% off. First world problems. As far as your desire to get a new set of E '72 for your new trunk, let me suggest what I find to be a fine rationalization technique. Find an item that you kind of want, and that is way more expensive than a new E'72 set. Then, in a display of iron will, decline to get the expensive item that you kind of want, and as a compromise, get the new E'72 set instead and congratulate yourself on money saved. Think of all the money you saved every time you gaze approvingly on the new discs in their new home in the trunk.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

man, what a flashback reading these posts ie Quaaludes. Back in the 70's I used to get a prescription for them, they were great, the real ones, not those fake bootleg ludes that were made of who knows what. My first experience with them was in 1970, a soper, orange 300 milligrams, made by arner/stone. The first time, like with any drug, is always the best time, I took a soper and felt invincible, I could have walked out in front of a car, stopped it with shear feel good will power and came out without a scratch. I was so loaded that I met a girl, sweeped her off her feet and made it with her that same nite, took about 30 mins to get into her pants. After years of sopers and Quaaludes, got in to parist. Made by burrows welcome I think, got these from a doctor also, great guy, was from Paraguay and thought Quaaludes were a great sleep medication, which they were, but if you drink on top of them, you will not remember a thing, just ask all those ladies that Bill Cosby slept with, they don't remember a thing cause he supposedly slipped them ludes. It could be true, a lot of guys back then used ludes to get into unobtainable ladies pants, it was part of the seventies. I remember one night, I was with several ladies and broke out my prescription, they all partook and really wanted to take them, I did not have to "slip" them anything, they loved them, next thing you know, it's party time and off come the clothes, epic fun and no one hurt. I could tell more but it would burn off both your little ears....As the old saying goes " a lude will put you in the mood". My best experience with them came after eating a rather large amount of orange sunshine, took a sopar and it was like all of a sudden you were on a roller coaster ride, at the top of the highest part, then you came sliding down sideways, twisting and turning the entire way, will never forget that feeling, add a little black afgan hash and wow, everything was wonderful. That's what the seventies were really like. Too bad I can only remember bits and pieces of those days. High times for sure. Back then, we were young and felt like we were invincible, we were not and a lot of us did not make it. Reminds me of the song "may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride".
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Why did it take so long to get in her pants?
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I too now the pain of shelling out huge funds to pick up shows I couldn't afford when they were released. I missed out on the first two years of daves picks, had a lot going on in life, unfortunately music took a backseat to what I was going through at the time. I was lucky enough to acquire a few early releases through trades and such, DaP 4, 6,&10. But most of the others eluded me. Just couldn't see putting down 100 to 400 in some cases on a single release. Sometimes a rainbow shines on ya though. My brother was at our local record store which has a large selection of used CDs/DVDs and low and behold there it was DaP 9! It should also be said there was quite a few others there 9-16 my brother said. He was nice enough to pick it up for me, so being used I scored it for 29 bucks!! I guess I could of been greedy ran down and bought up the others I already have to turn for a profit, but decided to pay it forward. Hopefully whoever bought up the rest was like me, sad at the station after missing the bus the first time!
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Ultimate Frisbee all day. Shroooomers all night. Or as others call it, college. What a blast. We vacation on July 4th every year with a bunch of families and have a traditional ultimate frisbee game. Adults against the kids, mostly teenagers or college aged. We kick their asses every time. It's funny watching them walk to the other end of the field in dejection after a point, not knowing that all the parents spent four years perfecting our skills. Cocaine was huge back then. I mean everywhere. Gave it one try and thankfully never liked it. So many lives destroyed. Europe 72. Not sure if they do it anymore, but as someone else eluded, around Christmas TPTB offer a 20% discount. No box, but you get all the music. Well worth it. For those looking for releases, be patient in your searches. You can always find good deals. Like anything else, just don't over pay. Don't mean to lecture on finances, but . . . Never buy a new car. Some other dope will be looking to get out of a lease to upgrade and you can essentially purchase a new car at a huge discount. And whenever traveling overseas, fly out of Canadaland. Enormous savings. Ultimate frisbee. Hah. What a cool game.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Anybody heard that 70-minute all-instrumental Jimi Hendrix CD called "Hear My Music?"
user picture

Member for

17 years

This is a very public forum, not a cozy little conversation. Anyone can read it. Your boss. The feds. People who can most likely figure out very easily who you are even if you use a pseud. This is pretty much Internet Survival 101. It is not the venue to call attention to the fact that you're looking for prohibited substances, and possibly not to your past exploits thereon either. Watch each card you play and play it slow. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I'm almost sure you are kidding but just in case....ever done ludes? I was pretty wasted and could not get the zipper down? lol Actually, can't really remember if it was 30 mins or 3 mins. Just a memory slowly fading into oblivion. I do remember it was all in good fun.
user picture

Member for

13 years

That Hendrix CD Hear My Music is mostly song sketches. Interesting if you like that sort of fly on the wall experience.
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Gotta say, gang, we owe marye a vote of thanks. She's so restrained and balanced as a moderator that she rarely steps in with a word to the wise -- a moderate moderator. And when she does, it's just to make us think twice. I like that. I'll acknowledge pushing the boundaries with my own tales of adventure from the day (even if it was, um, yesterday). But she's always helped me in a pinch and she nudges us all towards an acceptable level of decorum. Soooo.... just sayin' I appreciate her and her occasional nudge. I was going to let loose with a few dark tales of my own. But why increase my own 'exposure'? Thanks marye!
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

The Feds? My boss? Welcome to the USSR eh? Such a drag ! I'm sure the Feds are all over Eddie Murphy! Freedom of speech? Pleasant recollections?There was a pot smoking event in front of the White House yesterday, not ONE soul busted! But recalling some stuff from over 30 years ago that's a scare? Really? Well then. The hell with it, no more posting on the boards then! I better shape up!!! Once The a United States embraced Freedom. Now it's scare tactics and shame..........very sad
user picture

Member for

9 years

The Dagger release? It is nice, focused collection of studio jams from early 1969 as the Experience was dissolving on tour, Jazzy Jimi.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....should be considered a National Holiday....just throwing it out there.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Valid points by Marye, if it's communicated electronically the feds are watching and the NSA probably has a record of it in some giant Utah server farm. On the other hand, with the country awash in cheap heroin, I have to think recollections of decades old substance use ought to be a low priority, but Marye is correct that a little discretion is a good thing. The spread of cheap, pure heroin from one end of the country to the other ought to be a wake up call that the drug war has been a catastrophic failure, leading to nothing more than paving the way for ever greater restrictions on liberty and increased surveillance of the population. But that would require the exercise of critical reasoning, a commodity in short supply these days in our government. Anyone interested in an excellent movie depicting the corrosive effects of a surveillance state ought to check out the movie "The Lives of Others", a German film with subtitles. The movie details the efforts of the STASI to monitor the lives of the residents of East Germany during the Cold War and the effects of this systems on the individuals in the society. When you see what these guys did using index cards and paper files, and then extrapolate to the current computer databases and computing power, it is more than a bit depressing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I agree.. we veered off course, this is a good forum to talk music, shows, experiences and culture. We just spent a little too much time in the deep end. True we are talking about things and experiences that happened 30 and 40 years ago.. but so goes housing prices in the neighborhood. I can respect them trying to keep a neat house.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Double.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

On the listening schedule for this afternoon. It is a tragedy that this nearly perfect show isn't in the Vault.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 2 months

Having long been a fan of Documentaries, one of the greatest I've seen about drug policy and effects- "The House I Live In." It's a brilliant and thorough documentary about drugs- Highly recommended.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

420bandito, thank you! I will second, happy birthday Richard. Great choice on the clip as well. I love all his interview clips in the Last Waltz too, he was hilarious. The Honkies.. I'll add a few more, for his birthday and all. Live at the Getaway is a fantastic lowkey release, just him playing in a bar not long before he died. Joined by Rick Danko at a few points too! Here is Bobby Charles' Grow Too Old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjefF_UbO18 The album version of this one is the best, but here's a cool live video of Just Another Whistle Stop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUL_zILXi0Q Port Dover 1964 is classic Levon & The Hawks bar band..you may recognize some of the covers, haha...here's a few of Richards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLxR2GjdTs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npdds2owICg And my favorite, Richard and Dylan try to procure a European girlfriend: https://youtu.be/iJWWEjyqI68?t=40m8s Swedish girls don't have any business sense.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Sorry, had that Hendrix release mixed up with Morning Symphony Ideas, another Dagger Records CD.
user picture

Member for

17 years

One of the greats for sure. There's a documentary on Netflix right now called Down in the Flood re The Band and Dylan. If you haven't seen it, you might want to check it out.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html