• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

back in 83 i drank a bunch of those in rapid succession. a bunch. I was 19 and dumasfnk. about half-hour later, out-of-my-gourd drunk. Then the next 9 hours were barf-o-rama time and just plain ick. I literally have not had a beer (or OE800) since then. Olde English. that's shyte in my book.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....that song has a special meaning to me. It was on the tape I had in my car on 8.9.95. First song I heard after hearing the news as I was driving home....
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

100 bucks in drinks feels like burning money to me too. Byt 100 bucks on balloons in the parking lot of Dead & Co, well, it's not often that old Dead members come to town! 100 bucks on a box set feels like nothing now, but when I first started getting into "hardcore" Dead show collection, I debated over buying the Winterland box sets for $99 each a couple of years ago. In then end, I bought them both at the same time and felt kind of guilty spending that much, but then I saw how much June '77 is going for on eBay, and all I could think was how happy I am I got it before it sold out. The $750 for 30 Trips was difficult to stomach, primarily because I only wanted '66 - '78, but I didn't want to end up paying the same cost for these shows individually on eBay as it would cost for the whole set (assuming $60 a show x 13 shows). So I bought the box set new and sold off '79 - '95, kept the box, and life is good!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Its not hard at all to burn through $100 on a date night. Food and drinks for two, decent tip and you are right up there. Heaven help us if a good bottle of wine is in order or if Petron or Makers Mark make their way to the table. Add in a movie or show and... a home equity line of credit might be in order. One of the reasons I like to cook and entertain, and the bonus track might just be a healthy dose of lawyer up avoidance. As for physical media or live music, they are both equally important. They are like yin and yang, the same whole but very different as individual components. I live in the middle of nowhere and make it a point to see a healthy amount of live music, theatre, arts, etc. Its good for the brain. But delving into the physical media, a great recording, getting some repeated listens.. after a while its hard-wired in our brains and attaches to memories and life experiences. To an extent that's true for live music also, but we all have shows/songs/notes/chords that with repeated listens become reflex or instinctive, a single note and we can recall the year/show/tape/CD where we were, brings to mind a triumph or tragedy, reminds us of a loved one or hardship... becomes a part of us. With a few fine exceptions (Dicks 16 and FW 69 come to mind) the road to face melting is best served live though.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I will never forget my one Dead show in Rochester. Labor Day 1979, outside at the old Holleder Stadium. Drove up there the day before from here in CT., which was like a 6 hour jaunt. When we got there my friend showed me a newspaper article that had just run. I will have to paraphrase here, but it basically said: "Citizens of Rochester beware! The Grateful Dead are coming and their Dead Head fans are like the Huns. If you are not going to be home, warn your neighbors, friends & police to watch your house for you. If the Heads find out you are not home they will break into your house for a place to sleep & for food & drink. Be warned! They will break into any where and steal everything that is not nailed down"! I swear to you this was actually in the paper. I will never forget this and I am not making it up. During the show, on a roof top across the street and behind the band, was a horde of police and they were filming everything to make sure they had evidence for when all of the supposed mayhem happened. I have downloaded this show. At the start of the second set, Bobby says: "This one is for all of the mice & rats that are stuck inside of labs all over the world, and to all of those cops over there with their cameras and binoculars who are watching out for your safety & protection". The band then turned around, and with their backs to us in the stadium, played Scarlet Begonias facing the cops so they could get everything on film just perfectly! I could not make this up if I tried! Once again, the truth was stranger then fiction. As you might expect, the whole show went off without a hitch and I am pretty sure Rochester survived the Dead Head invasion! Rock on
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Vacant houses w/ unlocked windows sufficed for hotels. An unwatched full fridge = 4 star dining. And the people, so nice and easy to scare. You would think they would at least lock the doors of their cars. Ahh... Spring in Rochester... (kidding, the Dead Freak invasion.. scary stuff).
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Not necessarily necessary for a hot Shakedown. https://archive.org/details/gd84-10-20.sbd.mattman.15673.sbeok.shnf Most of you are probably familiar with this one. Maybe not the best ever, but still pretty hot if you can get past the early vocal flubs. Dave mentioned this show as a possible release in one of his vids a year or two ago. And I've probably mentioned it several times here over the years, but it's a personal favorite from the old cassette days.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Much thanks to simonrob for the info on how we're being charged going forward. DaveStrang - I also don't touch the stuff anymore but it's a great reminder of the good old days and living in a house with 30-50 other people, depending on the day, and getting by with whatever we could afford at the time. I'm a craft guy myself these days and can proudly say I'm living much more comfortably! stoltzfus - we all make stupid decisions when we're young but if you haven't enjoyed a drink since '83 because of one bad experience you're missing out. There's a whole world of great craft beer out there and you only live once...enjoy it! I don't disagree that OE800 is shyte but like I mentioned above it's a throwback to harder(and somehow more enjoyable) times growing up that got me to where I'm at today. All that aside, does anybody ever think that they're starting to accumulate too much GD material? I was driving into work today listening to the '74 show from 30 Trips today. I'm listening to the shows in order and this is all the further I've made it. Granted, There has been DaP 16 and I picked up the Old and In The Way set('73) that I've mixed in as well, amongst all the other new music I've picked up. I've got the upcoming box on the way that should fall right into where I'm at in 30 Trips and there's not really time to keep up and go back to the earlier stuff(ie '77 set, 90's boxes, etc). As much as I love this and it's not really tight money wise anymore it's just more than I can keep up with. I don't have the time to sit around and listen to an album around the house like I used to, it's more just listening in the car these days. I love collecting and I love the new music but I think what I've got now is enough to get me through 'til the end. Really, when is enough really enough?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Anyone have a shortcut for the Exit Beta button on the Archive? Guess that ship has sailed. And seeing how the Betty's are rescued, it might be time to summon the Troops of The Spicy Marinara for an Internet Archive mission- Operation Flaming Burrito. Here's to the sweet smell of success- with a side of chili con carne.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm not a listening party guy.. I am waiting for the box to come in all its glory, if I have time I will read the liner notes while I burn the discs and give things their first listen. So I will not be doing any sneak peeks beyond what I have already heard. But check out Sugaree, the Omaha version on this box checks in at under 10 min. This version is almost 5 min shorter than the last version played two months earlier and less than half the length of what they were playing a year earlier. Interesting.. and I have to admit, the mid 77 versions are among my favorites, we will have to see how this plays out. Nacho Delta Supreme, wow.. hard core. That's the one where you drive tiny slivers of nacho chips between your fingers and fingernails while applying a slow but steady un-interrupted drip of spicy salsa on your forehead. Good thinking, Zuck. We all like the previous interface at the Internet Archive. Oh, the horror of the new 'beta' interface. We shall not be repressed.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I have come across one Shakedown that I would dub as bad. It is 11/24/78 and viewable on Youtube. While the main structure is fine and funky, the jam portion has Jerry noodling outside of the funky confines of the song-- just playing fast little runs for the sake of playing fast runs, not really going anywhere. Too bad really because it would otherwise be in the middle of a nice Estimated/Shakedown/Fire sandwich. I inferred that the song had yet to grow its legs and the band had yet to figure out the slunky, funky jam. They figured it out quickly in the Brent period. I may have to check out other 1978 versions to see how it evolved in that year or maybe that one is a clunker. One of my favorites is from Pittsburgh 7/6/87. The Neville Brothers join the band after a fantastic Shakedown set two opener. That Anaheim 1987 version burns, too, in a similar fashion.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Agreed that we're reaching saturation, at times, but they've got lots of 1967-72 yet to be released and that means PIGPEN LIVES!!! We're past the point (30 Trips) when Dave & Co. can mix the post-'81 shlock in with the good stuff. Hence we get just chronologically thematic releases like the new '78 box, as with prior releases and can easily say 'yea' or 'nay' to buying them. Brace yourself. I feel another modest box being announced in about September. Spring '71, Fall '72 or Summer '73. (I've never been wrong before....) Question is: how will the most exciting material -- the returned tapes from the Betty and MG stashes -- be presented? DaPs? Box? Standalone? To sum up, enough is enough when they put the last nail in that old pine box.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

You cannot go wrong with the Shakedown from 1991.09.10 New York, NY (30 Trips). Branford Marsalis is on.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Me and mine were at this show. My wife went to Syracuse. My records show we gave Shakedown a plus 2 along with Jack Straw. Samson and Black Peter got a plus 1. The only thing I really remember from the Carrier Dome was the way the air pressure pushed you out the door. I guess the dome top was cloth and they pumped air into the stadium to keep it up. So when you opened the door to leave the pressure gave you a good shove. All the heads seemed to like this as a bunch of us went back in just for that "shoved" feeling. I have this in my collection as a soundboard and audience recording. Listening to soundboard and it sounds good, I can only guess that the audience must sound good too or else I wouldn't have kept it. But Jerry really does mumble the opening lines, and I mean mumbles! His playing is sounding great though.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just listened to Jack Straw from that show, Jerry is on fire!
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Dennis - After being "blown out" of the Dome with the air pressure, I hope you had the sense to roll down the huge grassy hill with the hundreds of other heads doing the same. Can't recall the Shakedown being all that remarkable, especially coming off the Jack Straw set closer. Maybe it was because the song appeared in the rotation so much during that time period. Rochester 83. Carrier Dome 83. Carrier Dome 84. Will give it another listen. JiminMD Gave up years ago trying to convert/convince folks about the band. Either you get it our you don't. Similar to folks who like NASCAR or WWE. Not nearly as intellectual a group(s) as you mention, but hey, they enjoy it, so god bless em. I won't argue otherwise. Two quick stories. We have a neighbor who looks down upon just about every band other than those he likes. He dismisses the Grateful Dead as nothing more than noodling despite never having seen them live. "They would never match a band like The National." Well, guess who wanted to borrow some CDs after his band announced a massive tribute album. Also, walked into a small local sports store a month or so back. Noticed the GD playing in the background as a young kid approached and asked if we needed assistance. I mentioned that his dad has good taste in music. No. No. These are my CDs. I asked if he were aware of the archive? The what? Gave him the info and went back a few days later to pick up our equipment with a copy of the 77 St. Paul show for him. Holy crap man. This stuff is unbelievable. Glad to turn people like that on to the band. Most other folks just aren't worth the effort.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Not much of a story here...A few weeks ago my brother-in-law sent me a message- Casey Jones was just on the radio- Thought of you. My sent message- That's funny, I just did a line of cocaine. He knew I was just kidding. We both got a laugh out of it...Suppose that's what matters.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Not happening to this crowd. The people who are not yet tired of new shows are the market for all of these great Dave's picks releases and box sets. If the 16.5k they produce for Dave's picks stops selling, I would say they've hit the saturation point.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

mawr mawr mawr i don't gather as much as i used to, but still will add when I feel it's justified (like the 78 box) new GD is like Christmas 84 GD: Carrier Dome. gotta check that one out.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

I'm new to the forum and I've been enjoying reading the posts, especially the Shakedown suggestions. I was wondering how many shows some of you have? When I get the '78 box and DaP 18, I'll have a nice round 50. Yet I still want MORE. Just curious. I'm sure I'm on the low end, but I'm looking forward to getting more and more as they are released.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

of the Not Done Til They Nail Shut the Pine Box Club. Damn, I love the avidity of the hardened cases here! And I concur on the folks who flock to Fare Thee Well & Dead & Co., yet are unaware of Dave's work on the vault. We stood in line in fall 2011 at Red Rocks for some band or other and folks were blah-blah-blah-ing about the GD. We asked how they were enjoying the Euro 72 box. Nuthin' but blank stares! Enjoy! I'm planning communal listens to the '72, '73, '74 selections from the 30 Trips box (a 2-3 person party aids appreciation) and squeezing in some 'solo' '76 (Dick's, 30 Trips) before DaP 18 shows up. Then the '77 and '78 from 30 Trips as the '78 box drops here. After that, a reservation at the Betty Ford Clinic and ... what's not to love? By that time we'll be gettin' wild over what's next: a movie, DaP 19, and, perhaps, another wee box, Dave? Hold the lid on that coffin, Zachary, I believe they're planning a nearly unending series of releases....
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

I'm thinking any kind of show, official release or otherwise. I'm just trying to get an idea of what other people have so I don't feel so bad when I splurge on another box set. I have a 50 complete shows, obviously most of them are from 30 trips. I love having all the shows, it's tough to find time to listen to them all. It's a pretty good problem to have.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Seems the answer is there's no such thing as too many shows. My collection probably has close to 50 shows from 1977 alone (official releases plus shows from the Archive- Beta testing notwithstanding). In the words of Kent "The Dorf" Dorfman- "Thank You Sir, May I have another." Editor's note- Pretty sure it wasn't Dorfman who said that...Just felt like saying his name.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I have always believed I just need one more show. It was true then and its still true today. Just one more show please, and make it a good one.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

I have over 100 official releases, scads of tapes under the bed, and about 600+ bootleg CD's of other artists.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I personally would not worry about the number of shows you have collected. Rather, purchase what period of the band appeals to you the most and expand out from there. The 30 trips box should keep you busy for a while. Enjoy. Thank you sir, may I have another - Kevin Bacon as Chip Diller The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took some liberties with our female party guests - we did.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

How cool would it be if Dave/Rhino put together a monkey survey to obtain our input for a future box. Majority rules. Then have a contest for the artwork. Wishful thinking I'm sure!! I just counted and I have 187 official released shows. Damn, that's crazy when you really think about it. I remember, I used to be content with one show that I would listen to over and over. Then again, that was before all plethora of releases.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah I think a lot of you summed it up nicely. One more show is always good, and nobody on THIS message board is going to find it odd that you spent five grand back-filling your Dave's Picks series and box sets off of eBay. In fact, I think....holy shit, did I really spend 5K on CDs....I think I'm going to be sick...
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Fat Dumb and Stupid is no way to go through life son, but I have to admit, it's served me pretty well up til now
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Having to many Grateful Dead's CD's/LP's/Tapes/Reels is like having too much money.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

How many official releases have there been? Hear ya Keithfan on the price of backfilling. Although (I think) recent production numbers @~15k to 16.5k have somewhat tamed the secondary market, it pays to buy here when releases are announced. I will say this.. there certainly are some must haves. And thank God for the archive. Really.. its all about the music and some had the foresight to put together a spectacular archive and give it to us for the price of a broadband internet connection. How many shows is too many? Perhaps 2,319 is the right number. oh.. wait.. add in a few from the JGB. I think I need a bigger hard drive....
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Buy whatever they offer or you will regret it. Started purchasing DPs from the start and got all of the releases up until about 15 or so. Then decided to outsmart everyone and just buy the ones I liked at the time. Big mistake. Have them all now, but as Keith pointed out, you spend way more backfilling. Learned my lesson and fortunately started with DaP from the beginning. Immediate backlash from the wife, on the initial purchase, who accused me of of wasting $25 (really $25) on a stupid CD. A year later I show her the aftermarket price. I got the same look of resignation that I did when I purchased the giant floor standing speakers that were a hundred dollars more than the small ones she wanted. After a few notes she understood and walked away.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks, Dennis, for sharing your experience at the Carrier Dome; those little details are pretty interesting to those of us who weren't there. I assume you weren't up front on the floor as you probably would have remembered being horribly smashed. The second set was a big favorite among my friends as I previously mentioned, but I hadn't heard the first set until Angry Jack Straw told me how he got his user name. That's when I headed to the Archive and discovered this very good first set and what is now one of my favorite Jack Straws. And that is exactly the kind of thing that makes these boards great (despite the occasional sniping and arguing). As for too much Dead...no such thing. It will be a long time before there are as many official releases as there were tapes in my collection. I will say that I think the speed at which they are releasing this stuff is just about right. If it was accelerated it would be harder to absorb it all.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Uhhh - all of them. Official releases anyway. As for boots, I lost count a while back. An embarrassment of riches have we.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

You guys got me to finally listen to that show. You're right.. the show is crackling with energy, especially the Jack Straw. I listened to the Miller soundboard. Charlie mentions it was pitch corrected, but it still sounds pitched just a tad fast. Perhaps it was the coke.. The Jack Straw reminds me of the 4/4/85 Providence Jack Straw, but a minute longer and with better sound. Jerry is blazing on both, perhaps Syracuse is a little hotter. Thanks guys.. I surely will not be able to sleep after these shows rattling around in my brain, they should come with a warming, Powered by Cocaine.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dave's Pick #17, tracking information did not work. Called the store and they said they did not know the tracking number for my order. Placed an order on Friday and received the shipping information with a tracking number that does not work. Called the store and they said they did not know the tracking number for my order.I would suggest get this resolved before these boxes ship out. I think a month and a half is more than enough time to fix this problem.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

How many Grateful Dead shows have been officially released?How many official Grateful Dead releases have there been, so far? Let's start with these 3 official releases: 2016's "July 1978" 5 complete shows in this box set; 2015's "30 Trips Around The Sun" 30 complete shows there; 2011's "Europe '72: The Complete Recordings" 22 shows there, for the exception of 4/7/72 which is missing 1 song and another is incomplete. 57 shows over 3 releases. The Dick's Picks series, The Download Series, The Road Trips series and the current Dave's Picks series all contain more shows, or most of, or parts of a show, so that is a rather large number there. Then figure in the bonus discs and the original studio albums (with filler) all the film/video recordings for an even larger total. The Grateful Dead sure have been generous with their music over the last 50 years.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Numbers just make this hobby seem dirty or like it's some sort of contest, and adding up how much you spent on it is a sure way to trigger buyer's remorse and miss the next couple releases, until you figure out you were wrong and buy them off ebay for way more than if you just bought them when they came out. Because now you have to fill those gaps in the collection. too much of everything is just not enough. 36 years ago today Capitol Theatre on 1980-03-30 Sailor>Saint to close the 1st set, Scarlet>Fire and Estimated>Eyes in the 2nd and John Belushi on the encore. i bet it was fun backstage that night ;) Set 1 Alabama Getaway -> The Promised Land Peggy-O Cassidy Loser -> El Paso Far From Me Tennessee Jed New Minglewood Blues Althea Lost Sailor -> Saint Of Circumstance Set 2 Scarlet Begonias -> Fire On The Mountain Estimated Prophet -> Eyes Of The World -> Space -> Drums -> Black Peter -> Sugar Magnolia Encore U.S. Blues https://archive.org/details/gd1980-03-30.sbd.miller.92666.sbeok.flac16
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I'm certainly not the first to share this on these boards but I thought I would offer it up since it is entirely relevant to the current topic, and perhaps there are a few who haven't seen it yet. I still get a great chuckle out of it and can of course relate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfy3uJrfVWo Sixtus P.S. Kayak Guy that second set is very nicely front loaded, it's my kind of setlist on paper for sure.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thanks Sixtus, that one always cracks me up. I need more shows! I am hesitant to show my significant other these.. I married a deadhead is classic.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Rdevil, No I was not up front. I have never wanted to be or tried to be up front. My buddy always wanted closer. I always like to sit directly across from the stage in the first riser up. I've always found this put you just above the crowd on the floor and you got the fullest sound from the speakers. I remember one time though where we were half way down the oval and just above the first up section (indoor show). You could clearly hear the cymbal hit on stage and then it would bounce off the far wall and echo back and he hit the cymbal again, set up this tennis ball effect of sound,,, that was wild. I always thought being too close would put the sound over your head, beside being crushed! I was shocked when we saw Roger Waters "the wall" maybe 4 years ago. They had folding chairs set up on the floor, we were in the 11th row and EVERYBODY stayed just where their chair was. I was 11th row on the center aisle, I swear with a little tailwind I could have spit on Roger. That sounded great and no crushing! How many, how much dead? Maybe that's the third leg of that old saw, "never too rich, never too thin, never too much dead." I think I have all the official releases,,, I know on Dicks, I have cd copies of the cd's (in fact I have too copies like that), hard to justify spending money to back fill when I have perfect copies.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

i have always been a non-sitter , preferring the front third to the stage. I simply like to move when listening to music. Recently i find it comfortable to sit sometimes but not when i have to. When i saw Roger Waters two years ago in Vienna i had to sit third row and Mr Waters was way up ( maybe 6 feet above the ground ) , hence i was either watching his legs or i had to look at the video-screen. Yep, i still love open-airs where i can wander around , first half of a show front row , second half lying down in the grass , well, i`m getting older too...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

A few months ago I was at the local discount store, the young man in his mid-to-late 20s working the cash register noticed my SYF hat and remarked that he liked the Dead too- so much that he had a whole bunch of GD T-shirts, most of the CDs, and all of the beanie bears. I asked if he had any live shows, to which he replied, "Well, no, because they basically have all the same songs as the studio albums, right?" Quite honestly I didn't know what to say to that one. On another recent occasion- while on business- I was wearing my 'One Man' wolf hat (which is about as stealth as you can get- ie, no skulls). The gentleman I was talking with turned out to be a fellow Dead Head- he had made me with that hat. After business was out of the way he broached the subject and we proceeded to have a rather lengthy but totally enjoyable conversation about all things GD- the kind where you trade war stories with a fellow member of the tribe and experience that weird wonderfully warm glow of connecting with someone who truly 'gets it'.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Yea.. what do you say. I would call that a Bill Clinton deadhead because even though he put it to his mouth, he obviously didn't inhale (or drink the kool aid from the cup). I shouldn't be so harsh, you don't know what you don't know.. perhaps he/she will get clued in and have that aha moment we all had at some point. But that's crazy talk.. I had to chime in.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html