• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Did you buy the 45 single collection? I just my 45 the other day. Nice art on this one and I loved the purple vinyl!

user picture

Member for

7 years

I received all three and downloaded them to my galaxy but t I can't get them to play. It's a phone problem I'm sure.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

There is a Sinatra collection, the complete reprise collection I think. It's a 20 cd collection. Somehow I only have disc 1-12. Anyone have them all?

Thanks

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm sure the word is out by now, but in case you missed it Real Gone Music is re-releasing all the road trips shows in reverse order. The format is CD. I missed all the Road Trips when they were originally released so its nice to get the chance to pick these up. The 11-15-71 Austin show is on its way now.

https://www.realgonemusic.com/news/2020/3/2/grateful-dead-road-trips-vo…

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

This show is a winner from start to finish, what a killer of a show! If anybody missed out on this one the first time around they get a second chance to get it. The same with 2/14/68 Road Trips, what a rocker!

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by carlo13

I'm pretty sure it said something about downloading to a laptop or desktop because phones dont support the unzipping necessary for these files. I had the same problem as well

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Another thing about them is they are in m4a format, not mp3, or wav, or flac, or anything I actually use. So, if you're like me, after you download them to a computer, you will possibly have to change the format. I had to download a program for that. Wish they'd just send a link or code to get the download in mp3 or just allow the advertisement of the box set through musical previews to be free, and give the pre-order folks some June 76 filler tracks. But that's my pipe dream.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Sorry. I was trying to be funny should have added a 'haha'

user picture

Member for

7 years

Were these limited editions when they first came out or mabey subs.?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

Road Trips were not limited edition, but a certain number were made and eventually sold out.
I didn’t initially buy them because they were compilations and not full shows. I started buying them when full shows started being released. If you subscribed you got a bonus disc.
At a later time (around 2011-12) I got an email on 4/1 that they were having an ‘April Ship of Fools Sale’. I think that you got 20% off and free shipping that day. I ordered all of the compilation RT’s that I didn’t have, but didn’t get the bonus discs.
I only got the Fall 77 RT a year or so ago when it was on this site and still with the bonus disc.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

If you bought them early you received the bonus disc. The bonus disc don't come with the Real Gone Music ones. I did not buy them all. I did buy, 2/14/68, 12/28/79, 11/15/71, 5/15/70, Denver 1973, May 1969, 6/9/76, and they are all fantastic!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Sorry but I don't have the Reprise Years set...what I do have is the Complete Capitol Years and various best of sets both in Lossless & MP3....oh and the Columbia years set too...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....I finally upgraded my smartphone from a galaxy S6 to the S20+. No baby steps here. Almost overwhelming. Almost.
Re RT. I have so much GOGD, I tend to forget about those. Blessing? Curse? I have most of them. Most bonus discs as well. I was missing the vol 3.3 bonus until MDJim/JiminMD/John Deere Hot Tub time machine dude blessed me four years ago.
Lookit Shadyguy. Fitting in like a glove. Welcome!!
Working backwards here and editing on the fly. Sinatra Box you say? I have a friend who would give a kidney for more Frank. Gonna look him up and share the news. No kidney required.

Concur.
100% with 2/14/68 and 11/15/71. BOTH EPIC.

These aforementioned Road Trips are La Creme de La Creme... aka delicious cheese curds

Sixtus

PS - Denver '73....is 'Hot Damn!'. I especially love the bonus material on that one as well as the whole release it's ridiculous. And 6/9/76 is, in my opinion, one of the best of all of them. It makes an amazing bookend for This Impending Box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

....Denver '73 it is. I recall it having a sweet UJB encore.
Second set. Half Step -> Playin' -> El Paso -> Playin' -> Wharf Rat -> Playin' -> Dew. Truckin' -> Nobody's Fault -> GDTRFB -> Saturday Night. Enc UJB. Yup. Just about sums it up. Lordy.

Since you mentioned BOC, I have been meaning to get back into them. Are there any good torrent sites for their early 1980's shows?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Surprisingly, the bonus discs were available from an online British shop I used to buy Dead releases from-Spin Records. Accepting the fact that they were often compilations of runs, there was some great music released. All of those already mentioned, plus, at least, the 6/16/74 and 6/18/74. which is one of my favourite releases in any format.The one from October 1977 is pretty good, too.

The worse thing about them was the brown cardboard packets they used to come in. They were packed so tightly I had to use a knife to cut said packet to get the cd out.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

With the warehouse FUBAR'd, which will I get first the June 76 Box or the coronavirus?

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hey y'all. Sorry it's taken so long to gather together the12 volumes of Sixtus Picks along with a track listing – since that part of this conversation I've been in Dallas helping my mom transition into hospice care. Bittersweet of course, but she's an inspiration. Anyway, here a link to Six's great mashups. I re-numbered them so that they display in dropbox in correct order. I usually lean to listening to whole shows, but it is amazing how mesmerizing and surprising and tasty these jammed-out volumes are. THANKS AGAIN SIXTUS! Onward.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zjp65al8yuocmil/AAAe6zf_UG4OwKRJYLZkTc9Ba?dl…

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

First, thanks for the lookup on the Sinatra front. I have an incredible shitload of Frankie, but where ever the COMPLETE reprise collection siphoned in from it lacked the last 8 disc. I see the collection out there for sale, but I'm struggling to remain married,,,,,,, so. I have the Reprise and Capitol collections. The Complete Reprise contains the songs Frank didn't think good enough to release, but the label or the family said they're good enough to sell :-)

Jeff - Thanks for posting a link to the Sixtus Collection. I have the first 6 in stock, nice to have them all. If I knew you were going to be in Dallas, I'd have invited you over.

Finally, thanks Sixtus for putting this out there.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Listening to Little Sadie (to death like I do) and it strikes me the killer in Little Sadie gets off quite easy. In Viola Lee Blues, him and his brothers got a lifetime there. Dupree thought his life was just about right. But Little Sadie's killer only gets 41 years! And he seem to have had no reason to kill her! At Dupress wanted a gold diamond ring,,, and not even for himself!

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I was enjoying Wharf Rat and then Donna joined in. She doesn't sound bad but I like this song a lot better with just Jerry singing. Ramble On Rose too. I bet she started inserting herself into more songs the longer she was in the band. You know what I mean like tell everyone that she's the backup singer so she should be in more songs? If you go back to the early 70s maybe even as late as 1974 she doesn't sing on Wharf Rat. But she's in the band. She's playing in the band.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I have not been following this thread: What is going on with this warehouse? I guess there will be shipping delays??

Another question: Any ideas why we have not seen any photos of the finished product yet?

Also regarding coronavirus please look into oxidative therapies such as ozone therapy and hydrogen peroxide therapies; likewise, herbs, minerals, and vitamins which are both antiviral and antibacterial. Stay safe community!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The Road Trips series is excellent. When it first came out I was put off by the fact they were not all complete shows. I even got in a little trouble over the debate of complete shows vs. compilations (that is a story for another time). When series started I was just as passionate regarding this band as I am now. So for the first few years these were being issued i bought some of the releases that were complete shows and fortunately I got the bonus discs with all of them. Funds got to be scarce for me I stopped purchasing them about halfway through the run.

Yet even though my passion remains high I am also much wiser these days. I definitely see the merit more so the value of any official release whether be of a complete show or compilation of shows. With wisdom and funds both increased I went a mission to get those releases I did not have. Thankfully for Real Gone Music and Ebay I have been to get just about all of the ones I was missing. Surprisingly I was able to acquire the bonus discs off of Ebay for reasonable prices. The only bonus disc I dont have is the one from Cleveland 12/6/73 with the mega Dark Star. Getting that disc on the secondary market costs mega dollars again likely because of the mega Dark Star.

I am sure most, if not all of you know that along with great music in these releases that there are tracks that when you combine them into a playlist it actually completes a whole set of a show. For example in the first issue - October 77, between the 2 discs and the bonus disc it completes the entire 2nd set of 10/16/77, along with a few 1st set songs. Plus there are the tracks from 10/11/77 that can be combined with hidden DP 29 tracks, which is certainly a treat especially for a show Dick Latvala regarded very highly.
The Fall of 79 has a similar combo of 2 CDs and bonus disc that when combined just about completes the 2nd set of 11/9/79. Then there is the summer 71 release bonus disc that when combined with DP 35 comprises a healthy portion of 8/6/71. Though I will say that for that 8/6/71 show, i do prefer the audience source.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Well.. I see.. Good Point Dennis. If I had to rank the songs, it would go Viola Lee Blues, Little Sadie then Stagger Lee - understanding this is just my personal preference.

The sentences in descending order were:

Viola Lee Blues, the crime isn't mentioned but some got six months, so we can assume it's barely a felony. "Me and my buddies got lifetime here" (Viola Lee got life). A major injustice.

In Little Sadie, the crime was murder in the first degree. Lee Brown got 41 years (not quite life.. we will call it halfway there).

In Stagger Lee, the crime was also first degree murder. Stagger Lee was not charged because he was basically a mob boss.. so he got nothing. Certainly an injustice, a judicial travesty of sorts.

..but there is some foreshadowing mentioned by the authors that alludes to a different ending although no proof is mentioned, the authors leave it up to us to figure it all out (as in many great songs).

Stagger Lee ultimately got the Death Sentence but only after Mrs. DeLions shot him in the balls with her gun (we are lead to believe this was a 45). Getting shot in the balls with a 45 and then getting dragged off to city hall to face a what is most certainly a death sentence is ultimately the harshest penalty of the three.

In Little Sadie, his sentence was a little light, 42 years, probably out on parole in 20.. but it is probably within the state range in North Carolina. Typical sentences for a first degree murder range from 30 years to life. Although this isn't mentioned in the song, for the crime he committed he can expect to get beat up a lot in jail, so there's that.

In Viola Lee Blues, they get the harshest sentence of them all, the got "lifetime here" meaning life in prison. However, understanding that Noah Lewis was born in in the deep south in 1891and wrote Viola Lee Blues just before the Great Depression (it was recorded in 1928). As for the crime, since it is not mentioned.. it took some research but I do believe I was able to ferret out the facts. You see.. there is a similar event popularized by the movie Oh Brother, Where Art Thou where an overly harsh sentence was carried out in the Deep South and the three (me and my buddies) were not getting out.. and while the protagonist is serving his time and the great depression begins to ravage the country, his wife divorces him and gets engaged, he escapes from prison, finds his wife, gets pardoned by the Governor of Mississippi and we can only assume lives happily ever after.

So it all works out in the end, and we got the hit song Man of Constant Sorrow written by the Soggy Bottom Boys that was later covered by Jerry Garcia at several points in his career so the story becomes very much Grateful Dead Related.

Fear not, Dennis.. justice has a way of finding it's footing even when injustices occasionally rule the day. In fact.. that's how we got some of our favorite songs.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Grand Funk Railroad-Grand Funk
Genesis-Bonus Disc from '70-'75 box
Genesis-Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Lenny Bruce-American
Dave Mason/Cass Elliott-S/T

And a-wop-bop-a-loo-bop-a wop-bam boom!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Dennis what about Tom Dooley? He didn't kill poor Lori Foster and look what happened to him. "This time tomorrow morning where do you reckon I'll be, down in a lonesome valley , just swinging from a white oak tree.". Now that's injustice!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Somehow, I always assumed it was the name of a penitentiary; However, there was a Viola Lee charged with running a
"disorderly" house(whorehouse) in June 1917, in Arizona. Two women and two men were also arrested...who knows? I'm still searching.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Didn't he get 41 years and 41 days and nights?

An extra 6 weeks to think about what he'd done.

Dylan did a great version of this song on Bootleg Series Vol 10, which is probably my favorite of the whole series.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

JeffSmith - you're The Man for offering of The Volumes - I am glad the effort will not be lost to the ravages of time, but instead shared with All, as it should be. That's really cool.
Dennis - you are a music siphon the likes of which I have rarely seen!

Also enjoying this banter and thoughtfulness about 'the justice vs. injustice' present in some songs. I mean, think about it: those card players in Me and My Uncle got all shot up, over a game!
Poor fellers.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I believe Tom really did Laurie Foster

"I met her on the mountain, there I took her life
Met her on the mountain, stabbed her with my knife"

The Scottish version, kinda, he didn't kill her, but was betrayed by her. From a tune written by Jamie Macpherson while he waited to be hung. Updated by Robert Burns. I have The Corries doing it.

MacPherson's Rant
The Corries

Farewell ye dungeons dark and strong,
Farewell, farewell tae thee,
MacPhersons time will no be lang,
On yonder gallow's tree

It was by a woman's treachorous hands,
That I was condemned to dee,
She stood uben a windae ledge,
And a blanket threw o'er me

Sae rantingly, sae wantonly,
Ans sae dauntingly gaed he,
He played a tune and he danced around
Below the gallow's tree
(Chorus)

Oh what is death, but parting breath
On mony a bloody plain
I've daur'd his face, and in his place
I scorn him yet again

Below the gallow's tree
(Chorus)

I have lived a life, o' straught and strife
I die by treachery
It burns my heart, that I must depart
An no avenged be

Below the gallow's tree
(Chorus)

So tak these bands fae aff my hands
Gae to me my sword
There's nae a man in a' Scotland
But I'll brave him at a word

Below the gallow's tree
(Chorus)

Now farewell light thou sunshine bright
And all beneath the sky
May coward shame distain his name
The wretch that dare not die

Below the gallow's tree
(Chorus)

I got these two albums years ago by The Tannerhill Weavers. Played the shit out them, thought I knew all the words. Finally got to see the words, found they were mostly Gaelic and had almost all of them wrong! :-)

Some great stuff from them-there Scot people.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Speaking of crimes,,,

I never understood in El Paso, why the guy ran?

So in anger I challenged his right for the love of this maiden
Down went his hand for the gun that he wore
My challenge was answered, in less than a heartbeat
The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor

The guy did try to draw! His bad luck he wasn't faster!

Steve Earle character, I think maybe he drew without the challenge part. From "The Devil's Right Hand" (Johnny Cash does a great cover)

Got into a card game in a company town
I caught a miner cheating, I shot the dog down
I shot the dog down, I watched the man fall
He never touched his holster, never had a chance to draw

Another "kill her" tune, Delilah, by Tom Jones. I listened to this tune for 30 plus years and NEVER realized he shiv-ed her!

At break of day when that man drove away I was waiting
I crossed the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more

I guess he failed to see the humor in the situation!

And yes, I AM the music siphon. OR, so I thought until I saw this the other day. Hope this isn't where I saw it. But a big wow from this guy.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/02/809977172/the-archive-of-contemporary-mu…

I am not convinced he killed her. Don't pay too much attention to the lyrics for the facts.. this is a well documented true story and in the end it is not clear that Tom Dula killed Laura Foster although it is quite clear she died (probably murdered) and he was convicted for it, the saga ending when life left his body while dangling from the wrong end of a rope.

"Asked in seriousness if he had any last words to say, Tom held his right hand and replied, "gentlemen, do you see this hand? Do you see it tremble? Do you see it shake? I never hurt a hair on the girl's head". The trap door was dropped."

It was on the first day of May, 1866, that Tom Dooley rode through the streets of Statesville in a wagon. He sat on the top of his coffin on that bright and shiny day with his banjo on his knee, joking with the throng of people walking along. He picked his favorite ballad on the old banjo, laughing as the wagon neared the gallows. When the rope was placed around his neck, he joked with Sheriff W. E. Watson, "I would have washed my neck if I had known you were using such a nice clean new rope".

Two links that shed a little more light on this...

http://ncvisitorcenter.com/Story_of_Tom_Dooley.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dooley_(song)

Man.. you guys have outlined my work listening this afternoon. I feel the need to listen to many versions of all these great songs... while their narrative piques my curiosity and steers my imagination.

Grayson and Whitter 1929. Peppy, mountain music. The version you are most likely to be drinking local shine from an old stoneware jug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9NHKINSKFk

Kingston Trio 1958 introduced by a young and dapper Milton Berle.. "when the sun rises tomorrow, Tom Dooley must hang"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zdE8bliGI

Doc Watson 1964. One the best pickers to ever pluck a string
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzgNgBk8_E

Tom Dula - Neil Young 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zouila8_-F8

Grateful Dead 1978
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxetLkhani0

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Dennis, in the Dead's version he's being accused by someone, "you took her on the hillside and there you took her knife. You took her on the hillside and then you took her life. You dug a grave 4 feet wide, you dug it 3feet deep, you pulled the cold clay over her and you tromped it with your feet." I think he was railroaded!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Ha.. in reading through the story of Tom Dooley it clearly shows the moral pitfalls of lusting over those two hot twins down the street..

Another lesson in morality brought to you by the Good Ole Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Thinking of springing for the VIP experience when they come to Pittsburgh in a few weeks. Has anyone done this? Would typically never do this but it’s a perfect storm of Friday night, small new venue, and getting my tax return. One last time to see the man up close since I don’t go to Dead & Co shows.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by ty627

...Ry Cooder's version. Nice Dixieland feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3oelgxQYEA

Ty - As for Wolf Bros.. that's a personal choice thingie ma bob decision. Perhaps check them out on YouTube and see if you think it will be worth it. A buddy of mine bought tickets for three of us and gifted me one, if I can find someone to watch my 11 year old I should be there. If not, we have an extra, mere mortal-level ticket.

user picture

Member for

9 years

I have did not do the VIP but i was at last nights show in Asheville, and I recommend seeing them. I am hopping they come close by again.

user picture

Member for

9 years

Looks like the NRPS set from Veneta 72 is getting released at RSD. To bad the dead release is Buffalo 77, was hoping all the leaks were wrong and they would be releasing the 3rd Fillmore west show.

Edit to add: Seastones set 4 is also getting released.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when the new Cream box set was delivered. I didn't order it from Amazon, but according to their website, it isn't even released until tomorrow. That's what I call service! Its very handsome indeed-lovely hardback book with some great photos. I have just played the first cd, and sound wise it knocks spots off these shady releases that have come out over the last year or so - as you would expect. I realised just how familiar I am with the live songs released on "Wheels of Fire" and the original "Goodbye" albums listening to this. The versions on this first cd are all completely different to the well known versions on the aforementioned albums Great stuff.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I see that a 5 record set is being released on April 18th called The Very Best of Jerry Garcia. It's is going to be limited to 4000 copies. I bet that goes real fast. It looks like a very cool release.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Have never done it, but unless you specifically get to meet the band (and Bob), I would probably pass.

Your venue is half the size of where I saw them last year and smaller than the Capitol Theatre. Both allowed you to get pretty close to the stage. Then again , it is a personal preference. Depends on how much you want the memorabilia.

Been absent for a bit, but Blue Oyster Cult was my first concert. Loved that band in middle school and still play them on occasion. Took the city bus and got caught "sneaking in" even though we had tickets. Great time. Unless I missed it, surprised that nobody mentioned Godzilla. That was the highlight of the show.

Zilla, Zilla, Zilla . . .

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Good news DAVEROCK. I am hoping the Cream box is delivered sometime tomorrow. At least that's what I'm being led to believe. Here's Hoping!!

As far as songs dealing with death and jail......here's one from Grand Funk Railroad

Can't Be Too Long-
Mark Farner

I killed a man in the spring time; Had to work hard just to make a dime,
To buy my baby the things that she needs.
I guess I didn't think twice, and now I have to pay the price,
For killing a man of another creed.

I guess I'll have to be strong, the rest of my life can't be too long.
I know I'll die some day, and be going far away,
And you won't remember the things that I've done.
I feel a shedding tear, it's only been a year,
But I know I'll be dead when the evening comes.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Received a replacement disc for a defective disc on DaP31 today. Made the request shortly after receiving it last summer and had all but forgotten about it at this point, but here it is months later. Really got me wondering what was coming when I got the delivery notice from UPS yesterday, now I know.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html