• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

March 2nd, 1969

Dark Star 21:18
St. Stephen 7:59
The Eleven 12:45
Turn On Your Lovelight 16:27
Doin' That Rag 7:19
That's It For The Other One: Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment 23:30
Death Don't Have No Mercy 10:33
Morning Dew 10:19
Alligator 4:00
Drums 6:52
Jam 25:31
Caution (Do Not Step On Tracks) 9:13
Feedback 7:54
We Bid You Goodnight 2:01

Best of the run

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

last evening in the car...wwwwooooooowwwwwwwww

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

is great stuff...Jim McCarty is a great great underrated guitarist...he was guitarist for Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels on all of their mid 60's AM Radio hits...he was also guitarist for Buddy Miles on the "Expressway To Your Skull" LP...he still gigs around Michigan a lot tearing it up in small clubs....Cactus had roots with the Jeff Beck Group which of course led to Beck, Bogart & Appice...here's McCarty's Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McCarty_(guitarist)

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Toppling distributes up here to the Twin Cities, so I have had quite a few of the Toppling Goliath beers--they're all very tasty, if too hoppy for my palate. My wife is the hop-head, so she very much enjoys Pseudo Sue. I've had some Boulevard beers over the years; they were all good. Whatever became of Tallgrass? They were everywhere a decade ago.

My first show was at the Sandstone down by you. June 24th, 1991. I saw Phish at Soldiers & Sailors Hall in 1993 and 1994. Came down there for some Twins-Royals games about fifteen years ago or so.

The "brewer" part is because I've been homebrewing for about 30 years. Being just 20 miles from Wisconsin I do appreciate the Milwaukee Brewers, but the Twins are my team. (I'm in Saint Paul)

Carlo--I, too, have yet to "get" MMW.

Yes, Jim McCarty is a superb guitarist, going off Cactus's first album. Can't believe heard of him until a few days ago. Reading the sleeve notes of the cds I bought, It seems Cactus had their roots in Vanilla Fudge, as well as pre dating Beck Bogart and Appice. I am waiting for a day or so before I enter their second album - but it looks like I have some great music ahead of me.

A book I am reading which may be of interest is "Year of the Monkey" by Patti Smith. It is a composition weaving dreams and reality together concerning her feelings around the time of the death of Sandy Pearlman. He was, if it needs saying, fundamental to the development of the Blue Oyster Cult, managing, producing, writing and contributing to some of their best material. Patti also references the Dead several times in the book. She buys a Jerry T shirt, tunes in to a Dead radio station..and the final present that Sandy Pearlman buys her is a copy of "Greyfolded." Nice when things you are interested in connect...from the BOC to Patti Smith to the Dead.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Listened to MMW for the first time on Friday night. I liked it, but definitely mood music in that you have to be in the right mood. Mentioned to others that it reminds me a little of house music...some far out stuff! Looks like I’ll have some more coming!!!

Sandstone - spent a lot of good times at this venue between 93 and 2003....sadly they don’t use it much anymore as it’s our only large outdoor music in KC aside from stadiums. Cool that you got to see the Dead there. Did you stick around for 6/25 as well? I’ve listened to that show and all of the prior shows from KC. The July 4th 90 show is probably the one I remember best other than the now infamous Arrowhead also on July 4th. I have tickets to Sandstone this summer to see The Black Crowes, but haven’t seen a show there for more than 10 years, and they haven’t called it that for probably 20 years.

Twins should probably win the division again this year, no? Hoping the Royals can go .500 but I’m not holding my breath! The Brewers still have my favorite ex-Royal, LoCain.

Listened to 03/02/69 FW this morning. Now on to CountryJoe and the Fish Live from FW 1969, vinyl. This is a grate one to check out....very jammy, especially on sides 3 d 4 with Mickey Hart and JG, sitting in with Jorma and Steve Miller On Harp. Recorded in January of 1969.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I was there it was so hot 100 plus and I think the show started around 6. Jerry had shorts on and I remember the oriental rug was new, I think it was white instead of red, (why do I remember this and can't remember my neighbors name from 2 houses down)... I love the Scarlet>Fire in the 4th and 5th song position pre drums, it was the start of the tour where the jamming pre drums was significant instead of lets rush off stage after 28 minutes... we left the show right after and drove all night to Louisville for the show on the 6th.. It was summer I was in Grad school and i saw 9 shows on that tour... zero responsibilities... couldn't do it now because ticket prices are way out of control.. bob t

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

CaseyJanes - I couldn't agree more about Country Joe Live. Very much worth a listen. In addition to the guests you mentioned, Jack Casady was also there laying down some mighty fine bass lines...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

For the past 2 weeks or so I haven’t had to select squares.

Is it coincidence that reCRAPTCHA squares are arranged a lot like the Hollywood Squares game show?

I noticed a change with reCrapbackatcha.. this morning, I was asked to select the dead.net posts that contained Spam, Phishing, or malicious links. A big improvement from the bicycles, crosswalks and traffic lights.

But I think it was too easy, surely the bots will have figured it out by now...

I'm through with palate cleansers.. trying to figure out what GD to spin over the next couple days/weeks. Inspiration…. Oftentimes recursive and reflexive in nature.. perhaps I should take a belated stroll through FW69 .. it's been a while. I always seem to have listening fatigue by the time I get to the end of this run, like most of the synapses in my frontal lobe are in various stages of a nervous breakdown. This time I might start at end and work my way to the front.. so 3/2 gets the fresh listen and hopefully by the time I get to 2/27 everything will be back to normal, I might have a different perspective on that iconic Dark Start too.

I just noticed something about this run.. parts of Live Dead were recorded on 1/26 at the Avalon a month earlier. This was a three night run too, I can't imagine the whole thing wasn't recorded on 16 track also and with only two tracks released (The Eleven and Lovelight) there are a couple odd little ditty type shows that one day need to get the Full Norman, Plangentized and released. Surely they dwell in the shadows of what was to become but they will get released one day, not if but when. I also just noticed nothing from 2/28 is on the album and it's my favorite show of the run. I think I knew that before but it never really resonated till now. Weird..

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

"I was asked to select the dead.net posts that contained Spam, Phishing, or malicious links. "

Sorry about that.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Parts of 1/26 are on the Aoxomoxoa 50th bonus disc.
I combined them with the parts from Live Dead.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Ah, that's right.. and a very good idea, proving I am the opposite of ahead of my time (behind my time?? Seems fitting considering my Avatar).

It's that recursive, reactive thingie. It keeps popping up.

07/26/72 Paramount Theatre - Portland, OR just starting ripping on SiriusXM.. I guess that solves the what to listen question.. so far so good.

Just kidding about the spammers reCrapbackatcha. It wouldn't surprise me though....

Just loved this Dylan tune that Bob took on unfortunately only twice, 3/27/88 at Hampton and 4/1/88 at the Meadowlands. Too bad they didn't carry this one on. They played the Dylan tunes so damn good and better each time.
Do you Mr. Jones...
3/27/88 is a great release, just love it and I know some of you were there. Super cool!
Not only do you get Ballad of a Thin Man, Cumberland Blues, Stagger Lee and a really sweet Scarlet Fire. Sound quality is A.
Less than 3 weeks for this wonderful bonus March Box! Can't wait.

You could be erasing your memory with those hot tub sunrises. Just so relaxing your neurons turn to mush.

Interesting that Jim has a hot tub, and that Jim has a time machine, but that Jim doesn’t have a hot tub time machine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Dark Star had just started when i got in the car!!! One of my favorite Phil lines is right after the opening of Cold Rain and Snow, someone yells something and Phil goes, "You got the wrong band man..... don't believe everything you read in Time Magazine!!""" This was one of those tapes that started circulating in 91 and 92 and I played in non stop due to both versus of Dark Star showing up!!!! bob t

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Resonates with me too.. the whole album really. I remember where I was, what I was doing and the impact that first listen made on me. I was young, living on my own for the first time and just beginning to figure things out. ..Ballad of a Thin Man is such a dark and foreboding song, "You Walk Into a Room.. With a Pencil In Your Hand.. " Scary and a wtf is going on here feel sort of beginning. A masterpiece, and a monumental album.

BobT.. right, I had forgotten this one but knew all the stage banter word for word. How many Dark Star > Comes a Time are there anyway? The Stella Blue is playing now.. great show.

Edit: 2 DS> Comes a Time's.
07/18/72- Roosevelt Stadium - Jersey City, NJ
07/26/72- Paramount Theatre - Portland, OR

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

The '71, '72, '73, and '74, 30 Trips concerts are very fine. So is '89, especially the DS/Drums/Space/DS segment.

Europe '72, first two nights in the final London run, 5/23 and 5/24, reminds me of 10/19/73--at first not jumping into your face, but when you can sit and take it all in you realize the whole concert is a monster and 'of a piece'. Garcia's solos enter into new land in these two shows, after a bit of (inspired) sameness over the many versions of these songs before.

The 10/12/68 bootleg on Amazon has more than adequate sound quality, if you are hesitating. Performance is of course at a high level.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 2 months

I put in a wrong letter in my email address when I preordered so I didn’t get to download the free digital tracks yet. I am excited for this release. 1976 is pretty much slept on, it deserves more attention. Dave’s Pick 18 disc 2 Comes a Time is mind blowing. I’m hoping to hear some similar adventurous and smooth playing by the boys on these big east coast shows.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

and got a 1971 Yellow Box...haven't had time to hear any of it yet... been ramping up at work for the upcoming season...damn tourists...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 2 months

I checked the junk email folder and no confirmation email in there.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

It's great, it's also cheap to buy. Has some nice pictures of the Dead on the inside. The St. Stephen is crackling with energy. Hopefully, it will be an official release someday.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Another great live show available on cd via Amazon is Jersey City 8/6/74. Great sound and amazing show. Its called "The Eyes of the World." The photo on the box is from 1977, but apart from that..

Also just received an email to say the 4 cd Live Cream box is shipping on Friday.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I really dig all the great musical discussions that go on here. I've been a lurker for awhile now. So excited for this new box! Dont have a lot 76, so I'm ready!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

5 new songs from 2 weeks before at Capitol Theatre, 1 new cover, Johnny B. Goode, 4 Pig Pen songs, (No Lovelight). I always overlooked in tape trading days, because of the quality of the Port Chester shows and the April shows that were available.... bob t

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Poshy218

Hopefully an email confirmation will come tonight.
Other people have complained about such things in the past.
I have always received an email confirmation, but just in case I always save a pdf copy of the order confirmation page.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Yesterday morning I started 3-2-69 in the car. Tonight I was blessed with That’s It For The Other One on my commute home.
Excellent........(Mr. Burns tapping finger tips)

Now on the couch it’s 5-9-77.
Starts off with H/S/F and keeps chugging along (or Chooglin’ for you CCR fans).

Except for the bathroom break Sunrise......

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Got a tasty present in the mail just the other day.. polished off the bottle last night. Tasty and potent, very generous.

Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart!!

Thanks Led.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Thanks icrmkd, I guess I'm not a lurker now? Keep those stories of yester-year coming folks. I just missed the bus, so it's nice to live vicariously thru all of you.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

I think I bought a fake ID and some weed from you back in high school.

You still have that van?

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by Roguedeadguy

You mean the one with no windows? Sure do=)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Shadeyguy

Welcome Shadeguy. I've seen that van!!

Don't let these guys wreck your political career. What happened in the van, well.. never mind.

So the Senate might be out but I think you still have a good shot for a seat in the house. Those guys all seem to drive vans with no windows with little or no repercussions, fear not.. your future is bright..

Freak freely..

user picture

Member for

7 years

Love the veneta show someone here gave me. Real old school. I can taste the free yogurt as i listen. I was also playing the giants box 87'-89'-91' shows my friends and I used to go to along with a few on this site. That june 17th 1991 first set eyes was great.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Thanks icecrmcnkid! You had me at those Who albums, though I have the original 1st pressing of Odds and Sods already (Put the Money Down is hands down the greatest Who song hardly anybody has heard, and Little Billy is pure genius anti-smoking ad for the American Cancer Society!) But intrigued at A Quick Live One, maybe the one from Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus where their single song performance outshone the Stones set and John Lennon's supergroup, or maybe a live EP?

The Ramones It's Alive II will probably be picked up, interested in the Hawkwind stuff, never had any, but Lemmy does British spacerock? Sure! I assume the Phish release not mentioned will be Farmhouse, which I wouldn't want. I missed out on Billy Breathes, and Story of the Ghost is probably sold out, too, those are the 2 studio ones I'd really want. Buffalo will be gotten, but not right away. More interested in when 3/1/69 comes out. The Zappa release You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore would be nice, I have it on cd somewhere.

Reminds me, I need to get a copy of that Seattle Playing in the Band, pretty good deal 20 bucks...

Speaking of good deals, Deal of the Day at Amazon, almost over, is for storage devices, hard drives, usb drives, etc. 12 TB monster for 175 bucks. That cartoon idiot that paid 439 for 2 TB at Best Buy would have almost all the room he needed, especially since 6/22/73 is now available in 24/192, and the whole box set is 48GB.

A return to the transition from St Stephen> The Eleven from 3/1/69 started the day of right. Then I started up 3/2/69 Dark Star... Got some great (loud) Dark Star action at lunch then finished it on ride home along with> St Stephen> 3 min of The Eleven for the end journey. Great out of the gate Dark Star, St Stephen is flying along and The Eleven thunders in a bit less than the night before, but they start to hit dynamics and take their time after rushing through just 6 glorious minutes of The Eleven the night before, so I failed to pull a keithfan and remain through the next 10-12 min, I decided it shall be tomorrow morning's jolt to awaken me prior to facing the day. I think Phil really really liked playing St Stephen and The Eleven. I think precisely what made him love them so much, their rhythmic complexity, is what made Jerry not want to play St Stephen at least. Who knows why The Eleven was dropped. Was it because Billy thought they needed Mickey?

Did a search and how wrong was I?
Garcia, 1988: “‘The Eleven’ was successful because it had a great groove…but you’re really stuck in that chord pattern – we used to go into E-minor out of that A-D-E [riff], which is like ‘La Bamba.’ ‘The Eleven’ is like ‘La Bamba,’ it really is… ‘La Bamba’ is a trap too, just like ‘The Eleven’ is, because you’re trapped harmonically in this very fast-moving little chord pattern which is tough to play through. It’s tough to play gracefully through except for the most obvious shit, which is what I did on ‘The Eleven.’ When we went into the E-minor [section], then it started to get weird. We used to do these revolving patterns against each other where we would play 11 against 33 – so one part of the band was playing a big thing that revolved in 33 beats, or 66 beats, and the other part of the band would be tying into that 11 figure. That’s what made those things sound like, ‘Whoa, what the hell is going on?’ It was thrilling. But we used to rehearse a lot to get that effect. It sounded like chaos, but it was in reality hard rehearsal.” (Golden Road, Fall 1988)
Lesh, 1990: “It was really too restrictive; and the vocal part, the song part, was dumb. [Garcia said it was a hard tune to play through] because of the three-chord structure. When we put that together with a drone it was much easier. How was it we used to do it – Dark Star/St Stephen/The Eleven/Lovelight? It fit well in there, I guess… It was really designed to be a rhythm trip. It wasn’t designed to be a song. That more or less came later as a way to give it more justification or something to work in a rock ‘n’ roll set. We could’ve used it just as a transition, which is what it was, really.” (Golden Road, Summer 1990)

Thanks, Interwebs! Well, song, or not song, or just an excuse to confuse people musically, I plan to rock out to the final Eleven of the Fillmore West run. May have to pull out 1/2/70 for the evening, that's a really good Dark Star and 2 smoking TIFTOO's the next night and that Dancin'. Can't wait for Workingman's and American Beauty and the accompanying 1970 sets!
Garcia, 1988: “‘The Eleven’ was successful because it had a great groove…but you’re really stuck in that chord pattern – we used to go into E-minor out of that A-D-E [riff], which is like ‘La Bamba.’ ‘The Eleven’ is like ‘La Bamba,’ it really is… ‘La Bamba’ is a trap too, just like ‘The Eleven’ is, because you’re trapped harmonically in this very fast-moving little chord pattern which is tough to play through. It’s tough to play gracefully through except for the most obvious shit, which is what I did on ‘The Eleven.’ When we went into the E-minor [section], then it started to get weird. We used to do these revolving patterns against each other where we would play 11 against 33 – so one part of the band was playing a big thing that revolved in 33 beats, or 66 beats, and the other part of the band would be tying into that 11 figure. That’s what made those things sound like, ‘Whoa, what the hell is going on?’ It was thrilling. But we used to rehearse a lot to get that effect. It sounded like chaos, but it was in reality hard rehearsal.” (Golden Road, Fall 1988)
Lesh, 1990: “It was really too restrictive; and the vocal part, the song part, was dumb. [Garcia said it was a hard tune to play through] because of the three-chord structure. When we put that together with a drone it was much easier. How was it we used to do it – Dark Star/St Stephen/The Eleven/Lovelight? It fit well in there, I guess… It was really designed to be a rhythm trip. It wasn’t designed to be a song. That more or less came later as a way to give it more justification or something to work in a rock ‘n’ roll set. We could’ve used it just as a transition, which is what it was, really.” (Golden Road, Summer 1990)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

I'm not weighing in on the '71 bootleg controversy one way or the other.

But I think it's a fair offer.. simply because it's free. The source material from these shows is FM broadcasts which circulate freely. I'd send them to regular, semi-regular and infrequent posters here for free.. basically anyone that is not a Russian Bot or Count Vlad himself.

The music was presented free in crisp wonderful soundboard quality 49 years ago complements of GD management.. so why pay someone from Europe to package and send it to you now? Never made sense to me, these are the exact same recordings. Funny thing is.. I expect exactly one PM.. No one will take me up, yet people buy the Yellow Box for essentially a bean of hard earned currency.

Just PM me. #FreeTheReels

Edit: Trapped in a rhythm trip. That's the 11 in a nutshell. Love that tune and New Potato Caboose from 68/69.. wonderful stuff. Thanks Alvarhanso. Great post.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thing is I don't listen to downloads or streaming or anything like that. Just vinyl and cds now. So the FM recordings are cheap and cheerful presents to myself. I don't buy them all, by any means. Just cherry pick from the years I like. Not controversial at all...I've done worse things! I bought all the cds issued by deadnet up to about a year ago. As has been discussed before on here, they ain't cheap if you live in Europe. So I've got a bit more selective of late. I would prefer to buy 1966-1974 shows with the superior sound as issued by deadnet...but I would rather listen to one with inferior sound from that timespan to a super duper box set from a year I am not so keen on.

There has always been something attractive about bootlegs. I got my first in about 1973. They have lost much of their glamour over the years, but I still don't turn my nose up.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

If Rhino released that same box set of shows, the fm shows from fall of 71, and I already had a bootleg copy, I don't , I would buy a copy from Rhino because they would certainly have a much better sound quality. I have tons and tons of tapes and bootleg records, but that would not stop me from buying an official release from Rhino just because I already had a copy , as their product would have far superior sound quality . I think most people feel the same way. But Rhino, seems very reluctant to release box sets from 1967 - 1971, for whatever reason. Ok, Dave and Rhino, let's start working on the Complete Recordings of April 1971, every show. Please.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Has anyone gotten links for the second & third party? I got a link for the first one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Thanks Alvarhanso for that very interesting breakdown of the boys' thoughts on The Eleven. I had definitely read that before but it's interesting to hear it again with Jerry and Phil's take on the tune. When they do it well, it creates this swirling dervish of sound serpents wrapping around each other upwards, upwards, upwards in a mad frenzy. Phil tows the line but Jerry offsets the pounding with his own double-helix jamming which creates the lush tapestry we all love so much. The FW69 shows really highlight this exceptionally.

I also need to go find the 'very last eleven' someone else referenced, I don't believe I've ever heard it (or if I did, I never knew it was the last one played).

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Got a UPS notice today that I have a package from Warner Music Group Corporate scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I can't figure out what it would be. The only things I have on order now are this box and the DaP subscription and the box isn't due for two weeks and the next DaP doesn't come until May, so I'm pretty curious what this could be. I did have a minor glitch on a disc in DaP 31, but I haven't heard back on that for months and the glitch was minor enough I didn't bother pursuing it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

That's my perspective, too. There are many shows I have had in various formats, topped off by the official release. To take a relevant example...I had a tape of 5/9/77, then a bootleg cd, then the official release in Get Shown The Light. Now I'm tempted to get it yet again on vinyl.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html