• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

DAVEROCK, I think you are my brother from another British mother. Besides being close in age, our tastes are similar and quite broad. I was heartened that you could enjoy a little GFR at this late stage of the game(well, not THAT late:)
And yes, Mel Schacher is a monster on the bass, but also, that SOUND. That deep, fuzzy, distorted sound. I've always loved it, but also, his bass lines are very close to a lead line, and quite inventive.
To whoever mentioned MMW's Radiolarians 1 in their last 5, brilliant. All 3 Radiolarians cds are super fun and spontaneously creative. If you read up on the history of that series, it's intriguing, and makes you want to give 'em a listen. Happy Monday.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

A neighbor went to see these guys the other night in Austin I believe. I don't think I ever heard of them. He raved about them. Much to my chagrin, I don't have any! Anyone out there have a bunch you wish to share?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Turned it on right when Riot In Cell Block #9 came on.... also heard Help me Rhonda and then Okie from Muskogee... Haven't listened to this show in years. Riot in Cell Block #9 was a tad painful with the synthesizer! bob t

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Roguedeadguy

Count me in as a huge fan of 2/24/74 and probably the first in the echo chamber wishing they had saved it for a full box treatment including all three shows. I was listening to Dijon '74 last night, another very well recorded 74 show..

What a great year.. so many good shows.

Edit: I finished Dijon on a bike ride today.. Has anyone else noticed that just before Phil breaks into his 11 bass riff Bobby starts a Mind Left Body sequence and they both play off each other for a minute and a half to two minutes before The Eleven dominates the direction. Incredible little ditty.. just a couple minutes but it really fubbs with your mind (in a the best possible way). What an interesting little jam.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Agreeing with the agreement of Jim and all those that are agreeable vis a vis 2/24/74, great show, wish it had been part of a box, but an all timer Dave's Pick instead as numero 13. The Dark Star> Dew goes without saying as a highlight, but I especially love the Weather Report Suite> Row Jimmy, and the Bertha. Phil has a great bomb in that Bertha, just once, but well placed, and I rewind it back at least twice every time. Really good China Rider, too. Really good sound once the issues are fixed, which if memory serves, is after Mexicali. Hard to believe this was the first Pick of the year 5 whole years ago. I'm sure those who were there can't believe that was 46 years ago today...

Also, that Dijon show from 30 Trips does sound amazing. Not my favorite setlist, but when it starts with that Uncle John's, it's like butter, and pretty soon, who cares what they played, the sound on the tape is one of the absolute best captures of a Wall of Sound show to my ears, and what they do play, they play well. And worth noting both shows have a nice Ship of Fools.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Alvarhanzo, thanks for the Bertha tip on this show. That's one that never stood out to me in the past, which just means I wasn't paying attention. I'm about to crank it.

Jimbo, I did steal your thunder. I didn't even know it was part of a 3 show run when I first heard it released as Dave's Picks 13. As soon as I started listening to the sound boards though, after you mentioned it would have been a good box set, I started thinking it would have been so perfect to accompany the green artwork from 73 and the blue artwork from 77, but just make it red or at least the shade of reddish pink that Dave's Picks 13 hits you with. I feel like Keith Richards ripping off a Ry Cooder lick he heard him playing while he was warming up in the studio next door. Oh well I guess it's never too late. They released Rockin the rhein as part of a box set. Who do I make the check out to?

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wcsbEerj7nM

....Grateful Dead - October 14, 1980
Warfield Theatre - San Francisco, CA

Recording Info:
SBD ... Master Reel (10in 15ips 1/2 trk) ... Reel ... DAT (Panasonic SV-3800/48k)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
January 12, 2017
-- Thanks to Rob Eaton for the DATs
Set 1:
Alabama Getaway ...
Greatest Story Ever Told
Friend Of The Devil
Me And My Uncle ...
Mexicali Blues
Candyman
Little Red Rooster
Tennessee Jed ...
Let It Grow ...
The Wheel ...
The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
Scarlet Begonias ...
Fire On The Mountain
Estimated Prophet ...
Terrapin Station ...
Playing In The Band ...
Drums ...
Space ...
I Need A Miracle ...
Uncle John's Band ...
Morning Dew ...
Playing In The Band ...
Good Lovin'

Encore:
Brokedown Palace
Anyone else a fan?

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Gotta pull out the old vinyl version of the live Grand Funk album. All this talk has made me want to revisit it. I honestly can't remember when last I listened to it.

Still spinning Dave's 33 - nice!
Two From the Vault has been in heavy rotation, too. Love the story about how the tape had to be doctored to make it listenable...damn good job, too.

Last 5 other...
John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard
Miles Davis - Live at the Fillmore - The Bootleg Series
Bear's Sonic Journals - New Riders
Drive By Truckers - The Unravelling
Warren Zevon - Live BBC and Club Metro -Boston

Really anticipating the Cream - Goodby

Happy Listening!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by deadfeat1

Yeah
One of my first shows on tape back in 82

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

looks like Mobile Fidelity Lab just released a SACD Hybrid of "Mars Hotel"...just got back from a quick jaunt to So Cal and of course I hit Amoeba Records but I didn't see a copy of the previously mentioned "Blues For Allah" or this one
https://www.mofi.com/product-p/udsacd2196.htm

what I did find for $20 was DP Vol 10 12-29-77 (a Real Gone Music Issue) so all wasn't lost...and a bunch of other goodies of course...the problem was that my rental (as most new cars nowadays) did not have a disc player so it won't be until tomorrow I can start listening and ripping stuff....

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I'm back for a while to the giants 87' show. Everytime I play this show it brings back a time of youth and freedom of great times and friends I've lost and forgotten. Man, those were the days. Peace.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Indulge me to add to the chorus of how great that show is. I called an audible on my regularly scheduled tour through 1970 to hit that one yesterday.

1) The sound is amazing, even for Dave's standards. IIRC this wasn't the full Wall of Sound yet, right ? Whatever they called it its great.

2) Its got a long jammy Playin', a long jammy WRS, and a Dark Star. Three layers of jam! Dark Star is really interesting; very much a free jazz style exploration while staying mostly pleasant and mellow.

3) The non-jammed out tunes are all tight and well-executed. This was a band that new exactly what it was doing.

4) Love that part at the end when Jerry says "Hopefully we see all of you next month at the Cow Palace."

So the consensus is that the 1st two from this run are on par with this show ? I don't think I believe you all. I'm gonna have to find this out for myself. :))

You won't catch me pairing and streaming. In fact, you won't catch me driving a car unless its an emergency - terrible habit.
But a thumbs up from me also for 2/24/74. And a box set of any combination of shows from this year would be most welcome

Dennis...I only ever got the one Wishbone Ash album..."Argus" from1972. Its a good record, much tight dual lead guitaring, with beautiful tones and medieval type lyrics giving it a kind of pastoral sound. Its what pundits of the time would have called a "nice album." It may be unique in their catalogue..the other snippets I have heard seem to be more in the blues n' boogie vein.
I'd be quite happy to send you a copy of "Argus"...but it would have to be a cd copy through the post. I suspect this isn't what you are looking for...but if it is...just drop me a PM.

Rock on Mr Ones...and thank you for the compliment!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Roguedeadguy

I agree awesome show. It is in standard rotation for me.

And of course would love to see the previous two shows released. Maybe someday. So much material out there.

That was Phil at the end of the show.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

My fave was "Blind Eye" a staple played by backyard party bands back then...if you ever go to a Lobo show yell out "Blind Eye" and I'm pretty sure Dave Hidalgo will whip out the opening licks....

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I Give In!! I will bow to peer pressure and listen to 2/24/74. I'm sure I will be Deadly Grateful, because It's been some time since I listened to that one. I keep telling myself I'm going to listen to all of the previous Dave's in between releases, but because I'm such a music Junkie, I never have enough time. Sometimes I just need a kick in the pants from you good folks on this site. It will also be a nice Pre-quell for Dave's 34.

And for some unknowable reason, they wont let me spell Pre-quell with one L!! Why??

Music Is The Best!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

yes indeed ... I'm not a bluetooth kinda guy...I just want to slide it in and slide it out...but it's getting so that it's not possible...luckily my Forester still has a disc player...I do have a ton of flash drives loaded with MP3's of my blues and jazz stuff...love to stick one in and hit shuffle...a kind soul here clued me into how to rip cd's in apple lossless for my iPods which worked great until I had a major freak out a couple of weeks ago and deleted my music from iTunes...I had decided to migrate my iTunes library to an external HD because it swallowed up the space on my desk top...i followed the instructions on the Apple page but after a few hours i got a notice saying the transfer couldn't finish...i disconnected the external and looked at the size of my library on my C drive and it was the same...I plugged my iPod in and it told me it couldn't find 7,000 songs...I snapped...no more iTunes for my music stash...I have two iPods an
old 256 gb Classic and a 6th Gen Touch with a 128 gb storage...i looked around and bought a Sony Discman DMP that plays high res, WAV, FLAC as well as lossy formats...it only stores 16gb but can take micro SD cards of 128gb...I also found some software that lets you load and unload music onto an iPod with no iTunes...I'm using iTunes for podcasts and audio books only on my touch and will have mP3 stuff on my classic and will learn to use the Sony for lossless files...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Daverock, I noticed you stated Cactus was next up on your top 5 recently played, which lp did you pick? I'm a big fan of One way or another and Restrictions. I knew Rusty Day personally and it was a shock and very saddening when he was murdered in florida, his killers were never found. We used to party alot, he was a bit wild and crazy and we did some crazy shit back then. I remember once we got into my car, drove to the abc for liquor and made it back in between sets, must have been doing 90 mph down orange ave. in downtown Orlando. Those were the days, we were indestructible.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Aack!

We've all been there. I keep three external hard drive backups now. Went through that somewhere between 10 and 15 years ago. If there was a silver lining.. before the crash I was not ripping Lossless, I took the default and I let the software pick where / how data was stored and did not manage my metadata well.

Post crash I am OCD about how my data is stored and how the metadata looks.. and everything is lossless if I can help it.

In any case.. you have all our sympathy. Sorry to hear man.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hey Nappy,

I ran into the same problem with the size of my iTunes folder, and I have subsequently figured out how to move my iTunes folder to an external drive and play it from there.

First you need an external drive. I bought a new 8TB Drive...plenty of space to add future files. If you are using a Mac you may want to buy a drive that is more compatible to a Mac. Most will be compatible but there are some that are built specifically for Mac and will work better for this sort of applications. I went to micro center and asked them what is best for this specifically. They recommended the brand LaCie. It was a little more expensive than other brands but I bit the bullet.

Next plug in your drive to your computer and find your ITunes Music files. Click and drag all ITunes Media files to the new drive. After you do this when you open iTunes it will say that it cannot find the files. Then it will ask you if you want to Choose library or create a new library. Click “choose library”, and a window will open up for all files on your computer. Then go to the icon for the external hard drive which should be still plugged into your computer...highlight the icon, then click open. That should do it! Really pretty easy, but I struggled until the micro center guys told me how to do it.

The only other thing is that if you want to play the music through your computer into your home system, or if you want to download it to other devices from your computer then your computer must be plugged into the external hard drive when uploading to an iPod or phone, otherwise the files will not be found.

Hope that helps!

For the record, I now have one drive (LaCie 8TB) that I use for ITunes, but then yesterday I researched an app called Vox that is a good alternative to ITunes but less particular.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Sam.. many thanks very much for sharing your memories. High times indeed - you should write a book!

My post referencing Cactus was a little misleading. I haven't actually heard them yet, but the day I said they would be my next listen was the day I ordered their first two albums, combined in a double cd. These are the one simply titled Cactus, and one of the ones you referred to " One Way or Another." I have felt tempted by them for some time, just on the strength of what I have read. And having recently listened to Grand Funk, who seem to be cut from the same cloth, now seemed as good a time as any. They are due to be delivered next week some time.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I just dont get it. To me it's elevator music without the elevator. My opinion of course.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

Don’t pay extra for a ‘Mac’ HD, it’s no different than the others except that it has been formatted for Mac (and won’t be recognized by a PC).
You can buy the regular HD that works with both PC and Mac, then reformat it using your Mac.
Google ‘reformat HD for Mac’ and there will be directions.

It will be reformatted with a Mac file system which will run better with your Mac and increase the chances of recovery if you have a problem with the drive.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

If you are a PC user there is iPod software called Rockbox.

https://www.rockbox.org/

I don’t have it, so you will have to read up on it.

I posted weeks ago about my 1TB iPod upgrade, here’s the info again in case you are interested in a project. Some people install Rockbox after the upgrade.

iFlash quad lets you install 4 micro SDXC cards in an old iPod. It also cuts the weight in half once the old spinning HD is gone. I also installed a new battery while the iPod was open.

https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/

iFlash is in the UK. You can get the quad in the U. S. by looking on eBay and don’t have to deal with an international shipment.

I installed 4 x 256 GB micro SDXC cards for total available storage of 953 GB.
Currently there is about 360 GB on the iPod.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Just have to say, fucking love that Swing and Dekalb are now released. Been hoping for those two ever since consistent archival releases began in earnest with the launch of Dick’s Picks. A couple Dave’s Picks gems, among many as the years roll by, that satisfy me in a way few releases can. I’m not sure what to make of the comment the release planned for the Fall needs it’s own time in the spotlight, which in turn brought us an early March box. Can’t say this indicates another box this year, but it feels like a larger release than an expanded American Beauty, but who knows. They love to keep us guessing.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I just picked up a new sealed copy of the July 1978 box set on ebay today . I've heard so many folks on this site say so many great things about it, that I had better get it while I can. I saw the Dead a couple of times in 1978, 10/20 and 10/21 at Winterland . I especially liked 10 /21.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Billy...legendary run. I used to have the tapes of those shows, and I used to think they must have been some of the best ones to have seen-certainly post retirement. I have long thought that they would make a good box set. Excerpts of the run were released in one of the Road Trips, but it would be great if the whole run could be honoured.
The July 78 box is a corker....not many complaints seen about that one.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Thanks ICCK...I think the micro center guy mentioned reformatting, but I didn’t want to fuck with it. I think it was only $20 more for the drive that was already formatted and I’ve stopped using PCs. Hope to never go back, but i think I said that about vinyl too!

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

aka New Year's Resolutions, part II: Reduced Expectations.

Hard Drives should always be sold in pairs. If you think you need one, you really need two.

I've got an old, hanging-on-for dear-life laptop hooked up to an 8TB drive for my downstairs stereo, and a fairly-new-as-cheap-as-I-could-find laptop hooked up to an 8TB drive for my upstairs stereo. Its got every CD I've ever had, plus tons of downloaded stuff, all fully accessible from either spot. Anything new I obtain goes to both drives. When the downstairs laptop finally dies, I can just get a new cheap one to replace it without losing anything.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

About five or six years ago I updated my receiver and included was a frontside USB port which read flac . So began the laborious project of converting all my CDs into flac files (via Windows media player) and then onto 64 GB drives. Well worth the effort. Hours and hours of music at my fingertips and perfectly preserved. If the drives are properly stored in cases, there's really no reason why they should ever go bad.

Included is a full drive of live MMW. All impeccably tracked and labeled with dates, location, songs and source mics. I saw MMW mentioned a bit recently so if anyone wants a copy, I'd be happy to help out (you can either send me a drive or we can arrange a trade for some GD I'm missing). An incredibly fun band but equally challenging. Their abstractions take some time and experience to get used to!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Check your pm

RogueDeadGuy....that’s a good idea with the cheap laptop that you don’t ever move. I have the same upstairs downstairs situation that you have so you got me thinking.....And I have another 8TB drive which was just filled for me by a cool dude on this board.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...oh yes, a 1978 Winterland run of shows would make a mighty fine & primo release!
I love the release from the road trip series. Vol1 #4 ‘from Egypt with love’ is on of my fav. In the series, god bless Bill G. For his love with the band.RIP.... 1978 finds the band in an alignment with the stars!
Funny thing is, I’ve been playing the Egypt & RT release all day yesterday. 78’ all day except I started my day with the RT Vol.1 #1 - good ol’ 1979. I love this release !
Have a grateful day everyone !
💀🌹

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...greeting Dave , mynold friend. Hope all is well. It’s hard for me to believe you never listened to the band ‘cactus’ ! Man what an excelent rocking band! Your going to love their music. I have all their music on vinyl and CD. I forgot the year but Led Zeppelin came to the states for a run shows and they played in New Jersey and cactus open’d up for them and blew them off the stage!!! , I mean cactus played better than Led Zeppelin that night. it was unbelievable, the fans went crazy in a frenzy at the end of the concert. they (audience) weren’tcheering for more Led Zeppelin, the fans were asking for more cactus Led Zeppelin came to the states for a run shows and they played in New Jersey and cactus open up for them and blew them off the stage I mean cactus actually was better than Led Zeppelin it was unbelievable lol

We should set up a self-help tech clinic.

We could call it.. why on earth would anyone want every single Grateful Dead show ever recorded and how I did it anyway.

Topics include:
- Lossless vs. Lossy, Flac, ALAC, Wav, SHN. SHN loosely translates to SHUN mp3's at all cost.
- Is 10 external hard really necessary? aka how to do it on the cheap without losing my data. (if you gotten this far in the program you probably already have more than 10 external drives)
- PC and/or Mac
- Recording to 8-track tapes for the Kraco high fi in your car
- Upgrading your iPod in three easy steps so the battery lasts for three months continuous play and it stores the entire contents of Archive.Org.

Great fun! I have used Macs and PCs for years.. I have probably had 35 or more machines in my life. I have finally given up on Macs.. PCs have gotten much better lately and with the exception of graphic design / video processing and editing I don't see the need to spend extra for the same processing power. Hope I didn't offend, I know it's personal preference.

Have a great rest of the week all. Great musical discussions of late. I think our goal should be to lure Dennis into five extra box sets per year without getting him into any trouble with his wife. A noble goal.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I don't think anyone else posted about this, but last Friday Dark Star Orchestra was in San Diego at HOB. They played 2/26/77 in it's entirety. They were also using Phil's "Mission Control" and had the guys from Alembic there. It was Freakin' awesome. Very packed, crowd of all ages, and I boogied to my hearts delight. They are firing on all cylendars!

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Was it you that posted a cartoon once where the guy is in trouble with his wife because he bought a bunch of HDs and accessories? And when she asks him why he just repeats "I need more shows" over and over. 😂

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

They're repaving our alley and lost internet two days ago,,, really sucked,,,, no tv either!!! I'm fucking American and NEED my TV!!!

Things from this thread.

Daverock - thanks for the offer of Wishbone cd,,,, hold off,,,, I'm sure I can score here without you mailing from England. I probably can't afford to pay the VAT anyway :-) But thanks a lot!

Five Branch and MMW,,,, I'd take a copy of that. Email dennis.wilmot@verizon.net and we can talk.

Jim and box sets,,, funny you should say, got two emails this morning when I got back online about The Stooges 15 lp box set,,,,, LIMITED!!!!,,,, my god,,,,, GIVE ME!! Went to preorder, fuck the wife, 400 bucks!!! Whoa!!! I can't name one song from these guy!!! My wife would NOT understand at all!! Now if I was still working...…

Multiple HD's and a cheap laptop - I have my collection on an internal hard drive on a pc that is always up and running. I have a backup HD that is never plugged in except for backing up. (we will not even talk about the offsite backups) In any event, via Microsoft "sharing" option, I have my cheap laptop sharing with my desktop. I'm able to take cheap laptop anywhere around house and access all my music via wi-fi. I just plugged the laptop in what ever speaker system I'm using at the time. I have speakers systems everywhere, out in the garage, the kitchen, the bathroom and the yard. Just carry my laptop out, fire up winamp and pick and choose. Works good.

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Wondering why the listening party links aren't working and how to download the second listening party as I pre-ordered this box, thanks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Thats the one!

Lets not tell Cartoon Guy about the new box set, seems like he's got enough on his plate.
Mrs. Cartoon Guy is right about one thing. $439 for a 2TB hard drive? Thats outrageous ! My two 8TB drives didn't cost me that much combined.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Because you simply can't listen to GD all the time.

Not sure which version I like better.. so a twofer.

73 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BSwbhZFBkA
75 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mck3yliYECw

Classic.

Next up.. Old and in the Way. Just because. ..and a prediction. I have this itch that 2/9/73 Maples Pavilion will come to us soon via a Dave's Pick.

Be safe.. wash your hands. Play Dead.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html