• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Another good source to follow is Joe Rogan. He has some great podcasts on the topic!

Sixtus - I have not read the one you mentioned...but let me know how it is. I am reading a fun one now called Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America...quite interesting!!!

Food of the Gods is also cool! And then this may lead you down the path towards David Wilcock and The Source Field Investigations, which is some far out stuff!!!

You’re welcome Vguy...enjoy! A little variety for you! One Psuedo Sue (my favorite), one King Sue IPA (in red and gold can representative of the Kings of the NFL-my second favorite). Two Mornin Latte Stouts which get good reviews but I don’t usually like Stouts and these were no exception - I think you said you like Stouts? Regardless, hope you like them better than I. Lastly, 2 bottles of Chocolate Ale, which is an annual seasonal around Valentine’s Day from a micro brewery here in KC called Boulevard. Thought you and the Mrs might enjoy those! Well anyways, hope you enjoy them, and Thanks for offering the wager...that’s fun stuff, can’t wait to get some Vegas beer!

I love that Morning Dew. The opening chords come through as clean and powerful as any I have heard and the sound, vocals and performance are stunning. Too bad the rest of the show isn't available.

What Dave said was only reel #5 "was returned" so I don't think know why the others were not returned.. lost, damaged, were packaged in a different box that was sold to one of the other people that bought them. Remember, there were three people that ended up with these reels and the third.. I will call him douchebag # 3, asked for a ridiculous ransom and as far as I know was not part of the returned cache (I could be wrong about this, if someone has better information please comment and correct me).

Per Dave, speaking about the returned reels:
…."now in addition to that show [The Swing] we also had come into the Dead's vault the next night but only the 5th reel, it was a 5 reel show so we only got the tail end of the show unfortunately."

Here's the link to the basement chat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR6HbcycNE0

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Celebrating a Very Jerry Christmas in February. On my front porch when I got home was #1094 of Dave's Picks 32. Not sure how I ended up with that number 4 months later but I will happily enjoy it. I would like to say a huge Thank You! to Marye and Doc and the boys at Rhino for restoring my faith in the system. I take back 'almost' all of the things I have thought and said about the system for the last 4 months. This one definitely looks like a special one!!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I found a few years back when I started going to Lockn, that when tripping balls, I felt no pain in my puked knee, NOR, did I have to piss every hour. I sure not feeling the pain, didn't help my knee, it was still being bashed. Don't think the bladder mattered! Knee replacement certainly removed all pain! Ok, tripping was more fun. Ok, I tripped while recovering. I had to I was back at work.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Sixtus, I haven't read that book by Michael Pollan book, How to Change Your Mind, but my mother read it and said it was pretty interesting. I plan to check it out at some point.

CaseyJanes, I did read that book Heads: a Biography of Psychedelic America and that was a pretty interesting book, the author had a cool writing style. I actually really enjoyed that book.

The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley was the first I read on the topic of psychedelics, junior year of high school after already tripping. LSD My Problem Child by Albert Hofmann is an interesting read with accounts from the discoverer himself, a genius chemist for a variety of reasons, not least of which was his synthesis of LSD and subsequent discovery of its effects. The book Psychedelic Renaissance by Dr. Ben Sessa is probably dated at this point, but describes some of the research on psychedelics from a decade or so ago.

Other books with similar topics include the biography Bear: Augustus Owsley Stanley III, which has some interesting descriptions of large cooks and the seeming impossibility of preventing substantial exposure during the cook. A short read, but interesting. Perhaps the apogee of my personal library on this topic would be The Rose of Paracelsus: On Secrets and Sacraments by William Leonard Pickard. His writing is gorgeous and vivid, the viewpoint unique, and story, a weave of fact and fiction, is fascinating. If you haven't heard of, or are not familiar with William Leonard Pickard just run a search or two and you can probably find out the basic information, including a Rolling Stone article about him. An apparently genius chemist wasting away in a prison cell for synthesizing wonder to be enjoyed by the willing.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Jim mentioned the third party to hoard the Betty reels is referred to as Douchebag #3. Growing up, my friends were not into the whole brevity thing, and I was often referred to as the third douchebag. Please let me clear any confusion- these are not the same person. That’s to say, douchebag #3 and the third douchebag are separate, though perhaps equal people, who have no affiliation (that I know of). And to quote the great Booger when asked what he’s looking at- I thought I was looking at my mother’s old douchebag, but that’s in Ohio.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Just thinking out loud but the Betty Boards that everyone knew had the most value were centered around Cornell and May 77, even if you weren't a fan you had to know the value if you had those reels and the internet.. The July 78 Box were returned Betty Boards that caught us all by surprise... If D#3 isn't part of ABCD then what boards would they posses?? Did Betty record November 78 through Feb 79 shows.. That would be awesome... or Fall 73 shows??? Or dare to dream June 4, 1977..... Just trying to figure it out.... Did all 3 owners of the Betty Boards let someone tape all the shows when we started getting them in mid 80's??? I have confused myself now.... sorry for the long post.. bob t

I should have said the third person was a douchebag. The other two returned the reels and they certainly should not be put it the guilty by association category.

In any case.. happy we got some of these gems returned and bummed there are still some missing. We need to organize and find the third person who is clearly a douchebag, tar & feather him, extreme torture, whatever we need to do to get some of these reels returned.

Nice thread lately.. music, books, literature, shenanigans. We need a new release!

..oh, BobT.. I think Rob Eaton has been to the guys barn and knows what's there. He bought them for the case that held the reels and didn't give a crap about the tapes.. put them in his barn. When he found out what they were he asked for $1M or Millions?? and Hal Kant and the GD said no way.. Eaton knows what's there, they are in various levels of decay. Someone should ask Rob.. I'd love to know too. Better yet we should all show up at DB#3's door and take them. Free the Reels.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....I've met a few.
I started my KC taste test with Pseudo Sue. Wake up little Susie indeed!
https://youtu.be/aBe10IFT1Lg
....mighty tasty. On both counts.
Good catch Nappyrags. Saw that this morning along with the news of the woman snorting too much LSD. A substance I didn't realize could be snorted. The more you know.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim,
It’s probably not coincidence that Zuckfun just randomly reappeared.
Something’s afoot....

When I’m done listening to 2-27-69 on vinyl I’ll play it backwards and try to decode the message. The question is, in what order do you play the albums backwards to get the complete message?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Yes, something is clearly afoot.
..and we are due for something from '68 or '69.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....seeing as how literature has entered the chat.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Really only those at the Vault or Rob Eaton really know what's in the returned Bettys. So far, several of the tapes released under license from or with assistance of ABCD were Rex Jackson taped shows never counted among the missing Bettys, the biggest surprise of which was likely 11/17/71, or his 10 inch reels of 4/2/73. And I belabor this point, but I feel it's important even though it's just one release, but DaP 24 8/25/72 is an Owsley tape from the Betty Board collection. Port Chester 1971 should be in the returned reels, this June '76 box was, July '78 was, 6/22/73 and 6/24/73 were, Get Shown the Light. But given that she taped shows dating back to the Fillmore West, who knows where it starts. The end point is sometime 1983 when she broke up with Brent and was let go from the Dead. (I had assumed it was earlier, like '81, but just looked for more info and found he was doing his solo album while living with Betty and it was in '82-83.) So, maybe there are some early 80s Bettys. I would hope she continued to use her Nagra reel to reel rather than a tape deck. And how often was she touring then? My understanding is that she was on crew recording '76-'78, though she was heavily involved in Dead Set and Reckoning in a producing and mixing capacity, which Wikipedia says was her last work, but I'd bet she recorded some shows personally in that last couple years with Brent. Those would be a nice treat, supposing they exist. It'd also be great to know whether she taped the Fillmore West shows with Miles Davis (just learned 4/10/70 was released as Black Beauty in Japan in 1973 and in the US finally in 1997) or anything in 1968 that was part of the Anthem For the Sun shows or afterward. Who knows just what came back other than Dave and Rob. Who knows how many Jerry shows are in there, and if she did the Howard Wales era, too, which is likely, as she did a lot of the Keystone recordings. Enough suppositions... Whatever was returned has been a bounteous gift, and douchebag the third ought to reconsider before the tapes are totally destroyed by time and conditions.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Casey, Pseudo Sue is from Decorah, Iowa. Are you trying to pass it off as K.C. beer? :)

Speaking of whether astrology/numerology is real . . . my two best friends growing up were born on the same day. I hit 40 (tens years back) and my two best adult friends shared the same birthday (albeit a few years apart). My wife at one point had three "friends" who all turned out to be mooches and leeches. Those three "friends" share a birthday.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Charlie3

I enjoyed both the Michael Pollan book and "Heads" by Jesse Jarnow too.Another great one is "Psychedelia; An Ancient Culture A Modern Way of Life" by Patrick Lundborg, which came out in 2012. It doesn't seem to get referenced much, but its a beautiful and far reaching book.

Listened to 2/27/69 yesterday. It never gets old. 2/28/69 today...and hopes for the vinyl releases of the rest of the run. A bit ominous that 3/1/69 isn't coming out this RSD, so fingers crossed for later in the year.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Yes, DHB, Psuedo Sue is from Toppling Goliath in Decorah, IA, as is it’s brother King Sue and also the Mornin Lattes I sent Vguy. I have made mention of them on this board more than once, so no, I’m not trying to pass them off as being from KC, although I wish they were because maybe then they would be slightly cheaper for me, and they are also damn good, so there’s that. They also have a decent size stamping of the state of Iowa right on the can, so as long as your geography IQ is better than say, Donald Trump’s, then you would have a decent chance of figuring out my plan. In KC (Missouri, not KS Donald) we only have one well known (at least regionally) craft brewing company, and that’s Boulevard. They make a couple of decent IPAs, but nothing even close to as good as Toppling’s IPAs. The one I drink most often from there is called space camper. Pretty good but lighter. For the record I live in KC, but I’m from the Kansas side.

Thanks to all for the additional psychedelic book recommendations!

Edit: DHB - have you ever tasted the aforementioned IPAs or other beers from Toppling? What did you think? Also is DeadHeadBrewer a reference to the fact that you brew your own beer? Or maybe to your baseball loyalties....just curious

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Sam...yet another reference to an album that was almost a foundational text for me growing up...."Love it to Death" by Alice Cooper.
My take on American rock music between 1972 and 1975 was completely determined by what I read in a music paper called The New Musical Express. The principle writer was one Nick Kent, and his tastes informed my own during that timespan. I came across Alice Cooper through a film clip that was shown on television, and through the hit single "Schools Out" in the summer of 1972. Nick Kent duly informed me that the heart of American rock music lay with Iggy and the Stooges - who were photographed and written about following a 1972 appearance in London, the New York Dolls, MC5, Flamin' Groovies etc. These bands were shortly joined by Patti Smith, Television and The Ramones. This was the face of American rock n' roll to me during the 70s. Of the Allman Brothers and The Band-Jefferson Starship I knew not. I only discovered The Dead because of their cool name, and the constant references to them being purveyors of "acid rock". Of which I was a consumer.
Being an avid reader, and as time passed, I discovered there was more going in American music than was dreamed of in Nick Kent's philosophy. Its a discovery that is still going on today. The proof is in the pudding - hopefully, those first two Cactus albums will arrive later today.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Hopefully, 6/17/75 is in those returned tapes, then they could release a decade box set one day, one show from every year, 1970-1979.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In the immortal words of Vguy, someone had commented on the swing Auditorium show how we also got Morning Dew as a filler track. Vguy responded with " Morning Dew ain't no filler". Truer words have never been spoken. Jimbo mentioned this track for the anniversary, and ironically I somehow left it off of my playlist for the commute to work that day. It was like a blind spot or something. I only have the 80 minutes to crank it so I have to choose the songs carefully.

Anyway to Jim's point, Jerry come super loud, and I think when this first came out I posted about this version possibly with a subject line of blasphemy? And then I went on to say how I prefer it to Cornell. I mean the band has to be in really shity shape on the song for me to not go with a version that features a louder Jerry. And he does play so well on this version. I'm putting it on right now. I was always one of the guys who never had Cornell on tape, and I heard over a dozen 1977 shows before Cornell ever made it into my hands. Yeah it's in the upper echelon of 1977 spring shows, but I do think there's something to fact that Cornell was the first widely available show from 1977, if I've got my history straight. I mean they sound the great every night. For me it boils down to setlist and sound quality. This is the only time you'll hear me complain about Keith - I was not crazy about the polymoog they had him using early in the spring tour. There was this artificial organ sound that just doesn't do it for me. He seems to stray away from it right around the original Mets 1977 box set at St Paul. I don't think he had any choice in the matter personally, but I've read I believe everything that's been documented, and if Jerry wanted keyboard player using something with more sustain, that's what Jerry got. Anyway thanks for the reminder I'm about to crank it.

I started with Fillmore West 1969 during coffee time this morning, and man kids have a different sense of humor all together did I enjoy tying into when I can. They were in hysterics over all the hammering that was going on during the march 27 opening CD. You know the part where Jerry says it's beyond the pale. What are they hammering? Doesn't that bar owner care that they're putting nails into his floor?

I would buy the decade box set someone suggested. Sorry I'm driving and can't find that name. I love to get a great sounding version of that June 17th 1975 show, with the instrumental help on the way. Crazy fingers Etc.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

....makes some damn good brews.
AM Dew filler? Heresy, and I stand firm on that statement.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

All of this book discussion invokes a sure fire rabbit hole to go tumbling down on this subject, if you haven't stumbled into it before. People MUST read the Robert Monroe 'trilogy' of books, starting at the beginning with 'Journeys out of the Body' and then moving through the subsequent books.

This series absolutely blew me away. Talk about an unwitting participant....he has some amazing experiences and has subsequently gone on to found a scientific institute dedicated to his documented 'exploration' techniques. My life was forever changed after ingesting his books just a few years ago. Very very cool and highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Journeys-Out-Body-Out-Body-ebook/dp/B00OWWOM2O

Oh, Casey Janes - love all the beer talk of course and have eyed the 'King Sue' many many times (what can i say, I like T-Rex's & D-IPAs) however I've never actually pulled the trigger given it's price tag, at least around here. It pushes 18 or 19 bucks for a 4-pack, which gets difficult to justify. But your enthusiasm has perhaps pushed me over the edge, and my eye will be looking out for this T-Rex during my beer stop later this afternoon...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Looks like she taped the Oakland run in '79 maybe she also taped '80 and '81.

Would make a nice box too.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

I'm not in the know, but it would surprise me if she did much work in 79 and the 80's beyond Oakland and multi-tracks.

Again, happy to be wrong, but I have to think we would have heard more about it by now.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

All this talk made me fire that one up while I'm "working" from home today. That plus Sugar Mag would have made an outstanding side for a vinyl release. Pair it with a stellar China / Rider from 77 for side 2.

That's how I would handle "filler" tracks if I was in charge. :) I'd buy more GD vinyl that way, as one LP of some choice cuts instead of 5 LPs of a whole show.

Keithfan --- I feel ya on Cornell. It reminds me of an article I read once about Derek Jeter. The article stated Jeter was both the most overrated, and the most underrated player in baseball. Like, to hear NY media types one would think he singlehandedly willed the Yankees to be great. Then there's the "too cool for school" types who point out his shortcomings and say "actually he sucks he's just lucky to be on a good team". In reality, he was an outstanding player who was also on a great team and was also a fallible human being who could not singlehandedly win a baseball game in which 17 other highly skilled professional athletes were also participating.

Cornell reminds me of this. Its neither "The best concert any band has ever played" nor is it "actually not very good, show xx/xx/xxxx was way better". Its an outstanding show from an outstanding run. It can't possibly live up to its hype, nothing can, but that doesn't mean it isn't awesome in its own right. If there's a different 77 show that someone likes a little better, well, that's what makes this such a fun band to follow. There's no wrong answer to "Which May 77 show is your favorite?"

Zuckfun just reappeared after spending the last 18 months building a tunnel under the vault.

If anyone knows, it's him.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Never understood the hype over Cornell myself. While it's a solid show and I enjoy listening to it, I don't think it transcends other shows from 77, even more specifically from May 77. Actually, the Buffalo 5/9 show is my favorite of the hallowed three. Aside from Cornell's Brown Eyed Women, which is the gem for me with Jerry's banjo-like solo, it's never been in my top ten. Bad Deadhead, I know.

KeithFan is right though. It was the cleanest, crispest tape in my collection back in the day. That definitely gave it some clout.

And I never heard a Morning Dew I didn't like. No filler there.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

If someone is looking for the proverbial "palate cleanser" in between sets of your FW69 box this afternoon . . .

WXPN out of Philly does a show from 4-7 on Fridays called Funky Friday. Obviously, its bluegrass and classical :)

The show has been hosted for the last 25 (ish) years by a dude named David Dye. He's doing his last show today. It just kicked off with Deodato's Also Sprach Zarathustra.

I'm 95% confident I first learned about WXPN on these here boards. Mrs Deadguy may not be interested in the evolution of China/Riders over the years but she loves Funky Friday and that is one thing we can always agree on.

So yea check it out, its always a fun ride through some old school funk. Now he's on some Stevie Wonder.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Still hoping Bill Walton runs for Congress someday on the platform “Free The Betty’s.” And I caught the end of a college basketball game and Walton was the color commentator- and it’s a rainbow with him behind the mic. A team lost because they kept missing clutch free throws, and Walton’s closing remark- One man gathers what another man spills.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Suppose it’s safe to reveal the plans now, but special covert operation Reel Shitaki Nagra was recently deployed somewhere south of Mission Viejo, under the guise of Stan’s refried bean commercial van. Our senior officer- Mitch “The Plangent” Stonewall nearly compromised the entire outfit- by overindulging in Stan’s super commando beans, and gassing up the entire van something serious. Smell saving measures were deployed, including an emergency ventilation shaft and industrial strength incense sticks. Light ‘em if you got ‘em became the most often heard expression. Like true warriors, the team persevered, with their sights firmly set on Douchebag #3, a squirrelly type albino whose penchant for Betty hoarding was no match for the gaseous fire raining down from Mitch’s bottom end. Little did we know, but Stan’s super commando beans became our greatest weapon. And as we smoked the albino from his Betty cave, finally freeing the golden reel nuggets from his douchebag #3 grip, we declared- Free at last- Free at last- Thank Betty Almighty- they are free at last!

...bettty recorded the dead in the late 70’s & into the 80’s; warfield shows are just one of many returned Betty reels back inside the vault or at least straight copies ...;) not all Betty Betty but along with other members of GD made recordings as well with & with out Betty present.
And nowsome new & interesting bears sonic journals-recordings will Bloom....

user picture

Member for

8 years

I would love a boxset which would include performances recorded one acoustic set and the other set being electric. Or a release with more than two sets like the sometimes third set the band would do sometimes. ... oh yes I remeber when it was just one giaganic gathering of the vibes! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹 rock on

user picture

Member for

7 years

That relix article with the picture of the reels made my mouth water. I still dont understand why betty was turned away by the dead when she was in dire straits. I mean they couldn't help her like friends would. I mean all of them could not have chipped in to save the reels and betty? Strange. P.S.- I forgot Alberto hofmanns book my problem child. It was a great read after high school.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I think Zapruder has the missing reels....and a happy 200th Birthday Anniversary to Sir John Tenniel...and who may that be you ask...he was the original illustrator of Alice In Wonderland and is the subject of today's Google Doodle...talk about psychedelic...I wonder what him and Carroll were nibbling on...thinking of him I think back to my fave all time Dead Tee...I bought it at the first Ventura weekend shows...it was a drawing in the style of Sir John with Alice staring into the looking glass and Uncle Sam was leaning out out of the mirror giving here a come on in gesture with his bony fingers...her cat was also staring into the mirror and the reflection of the Chesire Cat's grin looked back at kitty....I still have the tattered puppy but in no way would it fit even if it were wearable...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

🤣🤣🤣🤣👌

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

listening to Bob Weir tell a joke

while Phil changes a string

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Getting more eager for this box now that we're three weeks out. Cool to get the box early in the year with the possibility of more to come later.

Currently spinning something new to me, The Universe Smiles On You by a Texas band named Khruangbin, cool mostly instrumental tracks that are hard for me to categorize. Seen them described as Thai funk, or a soul, surf, psychedelic and funk hybrid, but whatever the name it sounds cool to me. I have a vague feeling someone on these threads may have mentioned Khruangbin before, but I could be wrong.

Yes, I suspect that these June 76 Plangentized and Normanized masterpieces are from the missing Bettys.
I had all of these shows on cassette in the 90’s, then CD-R, then various digital upgrades over the years.
If the reels were in the Vault the whole time I think that Dick would have picked one of the shows for release.

6-19 was an FM, and Dave said that the 6-19 in this Box is FM. So, I don’t know if that was always in the Vault.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I do recall reading a Betty interview years and years ago.. as for the band helping her, in her own words, she never asked for help and I am not sure anyone knew what was happening.

She lamented, something like she thought about talking to Jerry about it but felt guilty and didn't want to bother him, something she later regretted. Her situation might (perhaps was) at least partially the result of self indulgence or self destruction, let alone her relationship with Brent , perhaps substance abuse followed by her own reckoning and subsequent change in lifestyle. There was also mention that the GD was not always gender friendly. It sounded like a tough situation all the way around and a very difficult time in her life. I don't think the band, especially Jerry ever knew she lost her belongings including the tapes until after...

Sometimes when one is in trouble, you don't want anyone to know.

I could be wrong, but that is how I interpreted the interview.

Understandable if that was in fact part of what was going on.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Thanks. I just ordered the box so we will be rocking soon.

user picture

Member for

7 years

That makes sense. Let's hope she gets the financial help she deserves. She is a legend in the dead community.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html