• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Unfortunately, Pig Pen isn't on most of those Fall 1971 shows.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kid

4 4 4 5 4 6 4 8 4 12 4 13 4 18 4 21 4 24 FILLMORE FUCKING EAST run
and others

3 24 71 as well

"repetitive setlists"? bah.

Acid Month! Acid Month! Acid Month!

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

My favorite Dead period: Keith is on board, Pigpen is back, the sounds is edgier than 72 with a great mix of shorter songs and longer jams. Such as this classic:

Fox Theatre - St. Louis, MO 12/10/71
Set 1:
Bertha
Me And My Uncle
Mr. Charlie
Loser
Beat It On Down The Line
Sugaree
Jack Straw
Next Time You See Me
El Paso
Tennessee Jed
Big Railroad Blues
Casey Jones
Set 2:
Good Lovin'
Brokedown Palace
Playin' In The Band
Run Rudolph Run
Deal
Sugar Magnolia
Comes A Time
Truckin'
Drums
The Other One
Sitting On Top Of The World
The Other One
Not Fade Away
China Cat Sunflower Jam
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Not Fade Away
Encore:
One More Saturday Night

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

Ladies & Gentleman, today marks the opening show from one of the finest box sets ever compiled in history of music in my humble opinion. Of all of what is happening around the world during this darkness, this box has lifted my soul.
It is my intention to listen to the complete box from start to finish, something that I have only accomplished once before when it was first purchased, other attempts at listening all the way through usually get broken by other releases, usually a Dave's Pick, so with the lockdown taking place, this should be achievable.
No sign of the '76 box in the UK, I have been looking at the UPS tracking and it is poor, only shows it being flown around in the USA, since the 17th, and now sat somewhere in the UK on a shelf, since the 27th. not worried though as long as it appears by June this year I will be happy.
I'm all for a 1971 box as prescribed by the good doctor! stay safe all.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hey, great to see some love for Spring '71. (Easy now, stoltzfus! Cabin fever, gotta break soon. Or not.)

Think I recall Dave saying that the Fillmore run in late April has been exhausted by the 4-CD Ladies and Gentlemen, but the rest of that month contains, easily 6-7+ killer shows.

The 12-10-71 setlist looks juicy as hell. I too enjoy the early Keith shows, especially when Pig was on board. That's the prelude to E '72.

Hey Angry Jack Straw -- so glad to hear of someone else who took their sweet time with the E'72 box. We tried to have beer from the host country -- England, Denmark, Germany, France, Holland -- for each show to up the fun factor. Perhaps I should've taken notes, as I don't clearly recall blow-by-blow details, but that allows a second pass of discovery, which may be imminent. EDIT: I do clearly recall, however, being completely blown away by significant portions of each and every show. Just exchanging looks of astonishment with my listening companions. That's not rare, generally, except 22 shows in a row set a record for consistent greatness!

Wondering if Dave and Jeff and crew will get DP34 out the door this month, and the fate of the 50ths on WD and AB. If delayed, I can handle that, as I'm ambivalent about people exposing themselves to risk to produce, ship and deliver music to me. I do have about, rough guess, 2,000+ CDs here, a little heavy on Jimi (go figure), GD, ABB, Roy Buchanan, Jer, Dylan. So I could hold out for a couple years, which I pray it doesn't come to.

Sun is shining in Denver. That's about the best I can say.

Hendrixfreak - That is an outstanding idea regarding the beers. Thank you.

By the way, Halibut is the best fish to grill.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Sydney Prentice

a little late on this but want to say what a beautiful sweet surprise this box has been. never really "got" 1976 before. initially i was a pass, then on the fence, eventually got smart and preordered. #164. wow!! from the get go I've found these shows super enjoyable. the usual excellent work by Betty Cantor - beautiful sound and mix and sense of stage. now i finally understand the "voice" Jerry was looking for with the TB500. Donna in sweet sweet form. lots of Phil. great 2 drummer separation. And some really groovy dreamy delicate playing (e.g. Playing in the Band from 6/14). a couple nights ago went back to Dave's 28 from 6/17. must admit i greeted that with a shrug. now I'm like yay!! -so cool to have that show from the middle of this box run (tiny random awesome highlight - the initial "space" of Supplication!). Thanks Dave, Jeffrey, folks at Plangent, and everyone else who put this together, a box of joyous musical sunshine in a dark and difficult time.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Heading for the listening room to launch my first trip through E72. As mentioned, I've tried to do the tour a few times, but usually only make it about half-way through the first show before life derails the tour and I have to head back to the States. But with older kids and NOTHING on the calendar (plus a willingness to listen even when it's not late at night with everything Just Exactly Perfect), I feel like I might really do it this time.

Hendrix--I had the same thought about the European beers. Just wish the boys had played a bunch in Germany! I am getting some Jai-Alai Pale Ale from Cigar City Brewing for the listening session for DaP 34. This initial E72 session has me armed with nothing but decaffeinated coffee . . .

p.s. Blue Crow--my thoughts exactly.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

As noted, the Europe '72 Anniversary begins today. They kick off with one of the best Greatest Stories I've ever heard. Sometimes you got one, sometimes you got two "cool clear water well you can't ever tell"s. I prefer two. Donna really nails these.

The whole show is great. The Other One Part Deux into Wharf Rat is exceptionally exceptional stuff.

I do my best to listen to them all in sequence on their anniversary dates every year, but always seem to fall behind at the beginning of May. Oh right....that's when the Bonus Disc Dave's Picks arrives.

Great stage quotes from 4/7:

While trying to figure out what song they're going to do next, right before Tennessee Jed -

BOBBY : What the fuck are we doing here?

JERRY: What indeed...

During the Truckin' intro. Bobby queues up the band and begins to introduce Numero Uno when Jerry cuts him off -

JERRY: Hey that guy's got a trailer....

DEADVIKES: 4 second row tix for 20 bucks, NIIICCEE! It’s so cool to see em that close eh? Aahhh, the “old” days when we used to go up front all the time, siiiigghhh

BLUECROW: HAPPY HAPPY! And nice June 76 post

THANKS VGUY

HF: thanks again for continuing to make me laugh and/or smile! That 71 “prep” is perfect, lol. I’d need a seatbelt! Speaking of, where the hells KCJ been hiding? Oh, and HF, sounds like I’ve had friends with the same interior decorator as you.

BEER/SHOW pairing, awesome! Hmmm, could you do same with weed? 😎

Spring 71......

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Sounds perfect, some Clash it is. Perfect song to capture the vibe, classic album. I think it should be played at high volume, but that's just me.
The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growin' thin
a nuclear era, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I, I live by the river...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by Charlie3

To me London Calling can be mentioned in the same breath as The Beatles(White Album), and The Rolling Stones Exile on Mainstreet. Yes LC is that good.

Brand New Cadillac!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

But as it's only 2pm here in Denver, I coughed up a brief list of brewskies to aid the courageous among us who may enter into a review of all 22 Euro '72 shows. This list is easily improved, but I got a sick, beloved cat going to the vet soon. And these are brands you can get in US or what's left of it.

London: Fuller's London Pride or Fuller's ESB
Newcastle: Newcastle Brown Ale
Copenhagen and other Denmark cities: Carlsberg
Bremen, Germany: St. Pauli Girl
Paris: 1664
Amsterdam: Heineken (Lesh is more)
Luxembourg: I think we flubbed this one
Munich: Paulaner Octoberfest

Cheers! And good luck to those intrepid souls who nab all 22.

EDIT: To Oroborous' question: Of course a weed pairing. We would always start by vaping Sativa, cracking a beer and glowering at anyone who spoke during the music. Beginning of second set, with big jams coming up, we'd switch to vaping Indica. Vaping would give way to a few smoked hits of Indica (and maybe a shot or three of Jameson) when DS, TOO or some other monster appeared on the horizon. Okay, maybe pop a painkiller.

This is at a cabin in the foothills here, ~8000 feet. If weather was warm, I'd sleep over in my truck. If weather was very cold, I'd, um, drive the 75-minute route home, Jer ringing in my ears.

As Clapton's manager told the press after he collapsed on tour back in the day: "We're not 'ealth freaks ya know!"

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Fullers is great. London Pride is a fine bitter. ESB should come with a health warning. It is a lovely beer but unpredictable things can happen if you drink too much. You have been warned. Newcastle Brown is arguably the best brown ale if brown ales are you thing. Carlsberg is nice but their Elephant beer (7%) is a killer. Highly recommended if you can find it. Heineken sucks, like most things that come out of Amsterdam. Phil should have known better. There are much better Dutch beers. I am not familiar with the others but I have always struggled to find even a half-decent beer in France while Germany has loads of good local beers.

Well I know what I’m listening to today, lol. Cruising through FTV 3 as we speak. Then 3/18, 10/22.2, and P/O 4/7/72.2...
Wooooo, smokestack, niiicccceee!
Thanks to all for the dynamic look at spring 71, and especially of course The Doc, good to see ya!
First I must reiterate that I like ALL years, and I like early 71, hell Skull Fuck was the one that got me hooked. I have FTV 3, Ladies and Gents, 30 trips, and a old poor tape to cd copy of 2/18/71.2. (Love that DS/WR/DS.)
But it’s been one of those periods sort of in the shadows for me. Perhaps it’s all the fragmentation: since Skull and L&G are cut ups and I’ve listened to them the most. Haven’t listened so much to V3 for a Vualt release, and 3/18 I only somewhat recently acquired so not too familiar with yet....I know I’ve been somewhat a prisoner to my predilections in the past, but hanging here has worked on that. But I guess if I was going to be critical it would definetly be the lack of extended jams, and on docs spectrum number 1 repertoire. Yes new songs but much is kinda sloppy, guitar tunening, cowboy songs, pigs long....ah, I think I just figured it out. It’s because there’s a lot of repetive tunes during this era that TODAY, after many decades of repetitive listening, I’m kinda burned out on...hope that makes sense? Now ANY tune in the right time and space can still blow the ole cosmic doors off, but generally speaking, over 40 years in, there are unfortunately some tunes that I don’t always need to hear. I think others have made similar comments before...so I think that’s what I don’t like, these do have much of those type songs. But so what, there’s so much great, unique stuff too. (and yes even the occasional DS!)
Like fundamentally I’ve always dug the smaller, swinging band versions over the big lumbering ones. Oh, now that I’m thinking about it, this is kinda like 80s Dead in that it’s balls out rocking energy. The “STYLE”, I do really dig the style! Sometimes there’s something to the dirtier sound too. They had definetly made progress from early on, and eventually got to that buttery smooth ultra clean sound. But that might understandably not be everyone’s favorite cup of tea....so here there in this unique transitional period...just the right touch o grease on that Q.
Also, like KF mentioned, Pigs organ playing is definetly at a peak. Speaking of the Grease machine, nowadays, though I may need to be in the mood for yet another long dragged out Lovelight or Good Lovin, the rest of the Pig list does just the opposite for me. Meaning that shit I’ve not had near enough of! I guess it’s just another case of needing to spend more time with this era. Which in this case means gettin loud and greasy! Easy Wind indeed! And the river kept on calling.....I’m sure anything deemed Box worthy will be just dandy, and ya know some day it’s coming in some form/forms; ....demand is high, at least among the old hardcore guard; there’s multitracks and/or Beatty’s from I believe all the Chester’s and 4/5,6,7, and 8?, Which I believe some are ABC sourced so you know it’s coming, it’s just when, where, and how?
I liked Billy the Kids idea of formate variations. Say two box sizes and some kind of compilation like PNW etc.
Go limited number of the big dog (20-30 shows?) for Doc and HF etc, and perhaps a 6 show box more in line with June 76 or PNW? for others? Perhaps they’ll do something in multiple parts like spring 90 (and they should do with June/July 76 at some point). I mean Chester probably stands out as the most prime choice just cause of the tapes. So maybe that first, and perhaps later a six to ten show April box?
Whatever, I’m sure Ill learn to love it, much like that 78 box. And though it probably won’t be first call material personally, like all dead, I’m sure when I do let it roll, I’ll always be able to find golden yummies. Proper! Like this V3 TOO, all nasty, a tad sloppy, raunchy, but fuggin smokin! And this WR, it’s like their possessed, very unlike the vibe it would turn into.
Anyway, lol, it’s dangerous to have extra time sometimes, sorry. 😉
But thanks again for all the good angles. Hey if nothing else we got Doc from under the rock for a spell! Ok, back to the grease....boo yah. Sold, the Brooklyn bridge!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

...I mean like a Muai Wowie for a Hawaii show, some Humbolt for NoCo etc...I guess it might be tough for Europe shows? Perhaps find a hash that was associated with certain countries?
YEEESSSSS love the Elephants. If you can drink a sixer of those along with what not and still function normally your definetly a pro and/or an alcoholic lol! Back in the day when we couldn’t source much, that Pepsi challenge was a badge of honor! Used to like the Hinnie Darks way back when?....feel like that’s another one that you had to have directly from the country of origin, like many Canadian beers. They say their the same but don’t feel that way. Of course being a resident Simón would know more about that. We were just border kids back then so had many opportunities to test the theory with Canadian brew...had something in France that was pretty good, at least for back then. Can’t rember name...wanna say a red label on the bottle?

EDIT: the Elephant challenge was part of the lore of my infamous Hershey 6/28/85 story....nothing like a sixer of hephalumps and QO of veggies, vooooooo, IT does not matter anyway!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a melt-your-face-off psychedelic jam, sometimes I just want to hear some cowboy tunes or Big Boss Man (always dug that version on Skull & Roses album). Other times I want some jazzy Dead, with those great '73-'74 jams or a nice Scarlet-Fire from '77 or those rocking Estimated Prophets from July '78, or... The different musical flavors of the different eras means I can listen to lot of Dead without it getting overly repetitive or getting bored as there are so many different sounds to find. And if nothing seems appealing on the shelves full of Dead, there are more shelves full of other cool things to listen to and the Dead are often even better after a little palate cleanser.

My mistake Oroborous, $20 per ticket.
I don't think we ever paid more than $20 per ticket back in the 80s. They definitely kept their prices low and affordable.

Be well people!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

My mistake, still, even 20 bucks for second row, boo Yah!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I, as well, totally accept and embrace the E'72 local beer pairings with their requisite geographical shows. Truly genius. And among all touted, I appreciate The Elephant to a great extent as others have noted. It's stealthy strong.

I completed the E'72 daily ingestion Two Springs ago; it's an amazing and gratifying feat. I emphasize Feat. I pulled off Spring Tour '90 last year, which was also gratifying but not nearly as much of an investment of one's soul and self. Hats off to all who are contributing to these annual en mass audiohistory tours.

And, Spring '71 truly rocks.

Finally, I offer the following free webcast; Phish is streaming the instantly legendary and monumental Baker's Dozen standout from Summer 2017: the 'Jam' donut flavor show of July 25th. Even if you're not a (huge) Phish fan, this one delivers on its name. Some amazing moments....movements I shall say; they explore, build, peak, rebuild, re-peak, dissemble, rebuild, re-peak all throughout the night. Five song first set; just sayin'. A viewing shouldn't disappoint if you are looking for some very fine exploratory and gratifying rock and roll improv beginning at 8:30 PM ET:

https://nugs.tv/free/?showID=237

As an aside, I'm currently enjoying the free JRAD stream on the same Bat-Channel as above; makes for a late afternoon and evening of great music.

Be Well, All.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Well said laddy! Though perhaps not 30 different versions of the Dead, damn near!
So just pick a flavor and buckle up ole HFs seatbelt and enjoy right?
Can you imagine if there was only one or two versions of the Dead for thirty years?(like some bands) Not sure we all would still be so on board all these years later?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

High fever, upper respiratory tract infection, blocked sinuses, dehydration -- all set right with fluid injection, antibiotics, and blood work "looks great" for my 17-year-old boon companion, tuxedo-brand cat named Zoe. I am fortunate to have a critter to keep my single ass company all these years, as girlfriends came and went. Just crazy how they get under your skin. This one wants to be a human and she's smart enough, but I've convinced her that the downsides just ain't worth it.

Now, where were we? Ah yes, beer and Grateful Dead. It's just past 4:20 here, GOTTA GO!!!

And hey, I'm grateful for this kooky little community to keep up the spirits. Truly.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by simonrob

Can you give some recommendations? Most of us in The U.S.A. know only Heineken, Grolsch and Amstel. I live in Germany and am familiar with their wide variety. There are a lot of great local beers in Germany.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Already have my supply of Newcastle. I’ll start the tour with those and then end it with the Fullers. For Bickershaw, I will break out the Bass and maybe sneak in a few Smithwicks. That’s one of my favorite beers and it’s as close as the band ever got to Ireland. Spaten is my German beer of choice, at least here in the states. I had enough St. Pauli Girl and Lowenbrau as a youngster. Luxembourg is a tricky one. I figure a nice Belgian beer will do. Those folks certainly know how to craft a tasty brew. Besides they are neighbors and as far as I know, still friendly with each other. Looking forward to some Kronenbourg. Have not had that in years.

Thanks again for the tremendous idea.

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

for me, what's cool about 71 dead are the shows after mickey left and keith joined, where they were back to the original 5. there's just something so cool about that. plus, at least on tape, i love just 1 drummer. you can focus on him, and he's so f-ing good. also, i love how they sound, like the best barroom band ever. i never tire of this group of shows....

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Sun King

fucking covid-19...

this darkness got to give...be kind

user picture

Member for

7 years

Thanks to a friend on this site. Lovin>Darkstar>st.stephen >NFA>Lovelight > cold Jordan. I really dig this. This week will be all Europe 72.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Lots of moving posts though..

Perhaps my favorite was from BlueCrow, "the box i didn't know i needed but really really did" To add words to this would only detract. Completely agree, may the words be yours.

HendrixF.. pairing beers with the shows. Brilliant, and the '71 vibe, not sure if you started it.. but it drew a respected post from the good doctor.

E72, London brings on the Clash. Seems perfectly normal to me.

Charlie, era variations. Perhaps the best the GD left us. As much we collectively complain about the years/era/keyboardists/vocals or whatever.. without the variation most of us would go back to being Elvis fans or speechless mimes or something. Which ties right into the central theme or Oroborous' posts (I think, and yes, agree).

Bolo.. Goodness, where to start. I did listen to DiP 18, but have not had time to comment yet.. tomorrow.

Who was it again that suggested we should pair beer and weed with the shows we drink again? Wait.., pairing the shows we listen to with the beer and wine we smoke again? Never mind.

Be safe.. been busy, but it's really great to see all you cats write such uplifting stuff. There are disagreements that pop up from time to time but this is a vibrant community. Hang tough, Wake of the Flood, Laughing Waters, 49.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well, March/April 1971 would be nice of course but I think a 1966-67 box set with bits and pieces would be appreciated among many fans. If it included some music from 1965 if there is any available from the Warlocks era.

Myself I prefer the band from late 1966 to about 1982 but if it would be possible I would very much like to see a box set with acoustic stuff from 1969 and 1970. That would be great!

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

Still waiting for delivery of the 1976 box set.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Last 5
Electric Music For The Mind and Body(1967) Country Joe and the Fish
Headstone-The Contact Sessions (1966) 13th Floor Elevators
Incense and Peppermints (1967) Strawberry Alarm Clock
First Album (1967) H.P .Lovecraft
Afterglow (1968) Afterglow

I got a bit ahead of myself with Europe 72 - all the first 6 shows are incredible. I was only going to play one, but once you start its hard to stop.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The geography police have determined that unfortunately Peri The Cat got it a bit wrong with Hoegaarden. That is a Belgian White Beer. Very nice it is too. On a hot summer's day there is nothing better that a tall glass of cold Hoegaarden with a slice of lemon on the rim. Of all the white beers, Hoegaarden is my favourite.
As regards standard Dutch pils (normally 5%), my preference is for Hertog Jan. Grolsch is also very good. Amstel is owned by Heineken and is, if anything, more insipid than Heineken itself. Dommelsch is another really nice pils, but it can be a bit hard to find even here in the Netherlands. Bavaria and Brand are other common Dutch beers. Brand is OK, Bavaria is not (in my humble opinion). I have undoubtedly missed some brands here, but there are so many breweries, many small and local, just like in other countries.
On top of the standard pils most breweries make a range of other beers, typically stronger than pils and frequently darker. Bok beers are a seasonal beer of this type. There are Lentebok (spring Bok) and Herfstbok (autumn Bok) beers. There are also Dubbel and Tripel beers. A Dubbel is typically dark and strong whereas a Tripel is typically light and even stronger. How available any of these beers are internationally and what they would cost is something you would have to seek out. I hope this info is useful, though it is by no means comprehensive.

Of course there are alcohol-free beers in the Netherlands too, but we don't want to go there now, do we?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

You tube Jerry Garcia Band -Full Concert - 9/15/76 S.S. Duchess on New York City Harbor... I posted this one other time. You will feel that Jerry is playing in your basement with John Kahn, Donna, Keith and Ron Tutt.. Watch Keith sing during Stir it Up!!... watch an audience member come on stage and tell them how to play... Watch them play on a boat... bob t

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Angry Jack, be careful! Bass has licensed its brand to, I think, Budweiser, or some such crime. It's made in St. Louis now and just ain't the same. A couple years back, I bought a six-er, it didn't taste right and yup, the big print says something misleading with the word "England" and fine print says "Made in USA."

This is, of course, a crime on par with when, in the '70s, Miller got a license to make "Lowenbrau."

Just wanted to caution you.

Anybody read about the 8 p.m. "howl" here in Denver? I think it may be worldwide. We howl at the moon at exactly 8 p.m. to thank the front line medical workers and those who deliver food, etc. -- the people risking their lives so we can quarantine.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Sydney Prentice

Thanks for the hint - I wondered where to try the tracking number - 17April to 6th April to find its way to London - now fingers crossed it won't be another three weeks.

PS Re London Calling - loved the album, saw them on the LC tour at Brighton and they were brilliant, but put a download on while driving (pre lockdown) and it sounds pretty daed to me now :(

A global brewing conglomerate. Don’t expect anything to be an ‘import’.

Lowenbrau (Miller-brewed): considered a ‘premium’ beer when I was a kid (along with Michelob). It was $2.99/6-pack when I became legal drinking age.

Anyone remember the Surf Punks from the 80’s?
“Found a case of Lowie’s, she was a score. Drank ‘em all in seconds. Got anymore?”

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Here's what I picked up yesterday at "the liquor store". That's what we call it in Minnesota. On tour in certain areas of the country, that term, posed as a question, as in, "Excuse me, please--where is the liquor store?" drew some confused looks, especially when I followed up with the fact that I was after some beer.

London--Fuller's E.S.B., Pride, and Porter (had the Pride with the cray-cray Truckin'-->Other One last night)

Newcastle--Newcastle, 'natch!

Copenhagen & Aarhus--regular Carlsberg and The Elephant

Bremen--Delerium and Beck's

Dusseldorf--Reissdorf Kolsch and DAB

Frankfurt--Bitburger and Schofferhofer Hefeweizen

Hamburg--Struggled finding something REALLY local, so just brought home typical German favorites: Kostritzer, Aecht Schlenker, and Veltins

Paris--Kroenenbourg 1664 and Blanc (the store was out of Aval) Might just have French wine with some French shows.

Bickershaw--Back to the Fuller's

Amsterdam and Rotterdam--Amstel, Heineken, and Grolsch

Lille and Luxembourg--close enough to Belgium that I'll drink some of the Belgian beer already on hand

Munich--Hofbrau Original and Dunkel, Paulaner Hefe and Salvator, Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold

London--back to the Fuller's

The store had just run out of Jai-Alai (DeadVikes, did you grab the last six-pack?), so I'll have to return before DaP 34 arrives.

And please don't worry about my pocketbook or liver; the store had all of the above available as single bottles. I learned a lot of European geography while doing my research--bonus!

R.I.P. John Prine. Today, I'll play "Angel From Montgomery" on the guitar for you. How much music you and Ellis Marsalis are responsible for . . . man. Now I'm crying . . .

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Nice work. What country do they start serving it warm in? I've heard various people comment about a having Grateful Dead dreams. I've had one 3 or 4 times where I'm traveling across Europe with my cousin in '72 (sometimes I'm solo), trying to find people from dead.net on the way to the gigs. It's like planes trains and automobiles, and we never get to the gig on time. Or someone left the tickets at the hotel. Or we can't find the dead.net person on time. I think we caught Not Fade Away once at the Rhein show. Oh and there's always a language barrier. Bizarre stuff.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

hooray!

icecream: YES, the SURF PUNKS! I _think_ I still have that on vinyl.

my beach
my sand
my surf
GO HOME!

or in Covidia: STAY HOME!

here come the dummies
here they come
they come out on weekends
boy are they dumb

somebody ripped my stick
that guy must be a prick
guess I finally ran out of luck
if I ever find him he's gonna get _fucked_

too big
too big for her top
when are those strings gonna pop
distracting all the surfers
they forget about the tubes
"never mind the waves
let's talk about those boobs"

shoulder hopper
don't drop in on me
shoulder hopper
comin' down
cantcha see me comin'

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

In Michigan Party Stores sell beer, wine, and liquor. Obviously, those are the makings of a party.

In Georgia Party Stores sell balloons and decorations. Instead, you have to go to the Package Store for alcoholic drinks. WTF?

In Pennsylvania you have to go to a ‘Beer Distributor’ or a State-run ‘Fine Wine and Liquor’ store. Grocery stores also sell beer and wine, but the liquor stores are closed for the duration of quarantine.

Yes Stoltzfus, I expected that you would be familiar with the Surf Punks. I was thinking that Vguy would be too.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

I know Ive been out of the loop for a while, and there is a hell of a lot more important things going on - but - can anyone UK-based tell me how long ago they received Daves Picks 33 as I have had nothing around here on the sunny but silent South Coast.... Ta in advance

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

There are a few reasons why I think E72 is the best box release from deadnet. It was the first release, makes it kinda special, it was a great tour, Europe in the spring, Owsley lsd , 16 track mixer on board, the entire family in tow, 2 buses with bozo's and bolo's, great old venues to play in, what could have been better? It has something for everyone. It was and still is the best value so far, with 78 discs for 450.00 in a cool steamer trunk. And the music, just spot on just exactly perfect. Love it, was one of the first to order it, then the site broke down and all hell broke loose, leading to the all the music release, which I think was a fantastic idea, the tour, the music and the entire trip was just too big to limit it's release to just the chosen original 7200. Just my opinion as I have begun the playing of the shows on their date. So 4-8 up today. Nice.
My introduction to John Prime was his first lp, and the song Sam Stone. Released in 1971 it hit hard and close to home to a kid who had just gotten his draft number. One of the saddest songs, but so poignant. Then, Angel from Montgomery, a beautiful song covered by the Wolf Bros. at the Tennessee show to help out tornado victims. So good. A great songwriter, he is missed all ready.
I don't drink beer, but when I did, it was Guinness, the meal in a bottle. Back in the 90's Bennigan's had the copper clover club, I think that is what it was called,which was drink 100 different beers and get a free one, or something like that, I joined, but never did drink all those beers. It was a failed concept that helped bring down the franchise, a lot of those beers were tap only and they had to install new taps in most of their restaurants, plus most were imports, cost a ton of money, and they never made it back. Anybody else remember the copper clover club?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by smix

SMIX
My subscription copy of DaP33 arrived in NW England on 14th February. I collected it from the Royal Mail sorting office once I paid them £11.80.

The 1976 box set arrived about an hour ago. I won’t get a chance to listen until tomorrow (it’s about 6pm here) but the box looks good and isn’t enormous, unlike the E72 steamer trunk!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

“The beach is the birds bathroom”

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

R.I.P. John Prine, May the four winds blow you safely home!
Wow, what a bummer, such a great American with such huge talent.
Even more, to have gone through all he did health wise later in life, and to come through and have his career revamp, only to go via this insidious scourge. Too sad.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RfwGkplB_sY

Fuck me, first Hunter goes, Neil Peart, now Ellis, Bill Withers, and John Prine.....who’s next Dylan? Pretty soon there won’t be any great songwriters left....

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html