• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

I'll start this off. Someone else can pick up the baton tomorrow. I've asked MaryE to start a new thread because I don't know how. Anyone else know?

Deadnet Pick for Monday, April 6: Dick's Picks 18. Listen intently, volume at 11 (of course), then share your impressions.

Cheers,
Bolo

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by deadegad

I already know what I am going to say.. Best Brown Eyed Woman.... Eva. Jerry's voice, like butter. Looks like the Old Man's Getting Old..

user picture

Member for

7 years

Archive has peggy-o on 2/3 but I dont see t listed on the cd. What's up?

user picture

Member for

7 years

That brown eyed woman is a little honey ain't it?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'm halfway through the 2rd set of 11-28-80 (Lakeland FL) and this is a nice show. Maybe not top 3-5 in a box full of fantastic shows (especially '67-'71). But I'm really digging this show. Electric Deep Elem and then a really nice Looks Like Rain in the 1st set, and 2nd set goes Feel Like a Stranger, To Lay Me Down, Let It Grow, and thats a nice way to open a 2nd set.

I haven't made it to the terrapin yet. Maybe this one goes to an aud soon (or is that the '81 show?). In any event check this one out if you haven't listened to it in a while.

Stay safe everyone. I'm really enjoying the '76 box during these strange days.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

I always thought those three shows were under-rated.. until Dave's Picks 8 came out. Respect earned.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

For posting three times in a row, but just getting into the Beacon show from the 76 box. The sound is spectacular, but that only seems to muddy just how good they are playing.

Again, if 76 isn't you thing, this won't change that. But the performances are real and they are spectacular.

Rationally, I would put this box on a similar level as Spring 77 one, pre Scarlet Fire + more Help/Slip/Franks. Gotta get this out of the way, because perhaps tomorrow we will be talking about February 78.. and I have that sinking feeling I am going into a test way underprepared.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

5 from 1967
Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Excellent idea. The last 8 shows I have listened have all been from Spring 1972, so it should provide a nice contrast. Hopefully nice, anyway!

Charlie...good list from 1967. I am drawn to that period as well at the moment. Last night I listened to Forever Changes by Love-another timeless record of its time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

When i look back three decades later this Spring tour in my mind really started that whole 89-91 feeling that the shows were going to be awesome. I saw the two Ann Arbor shows, then Cincinnati, Louisville, the 3 at the Rosemont Horizon, and then my favorites the 2 Mecca shows in Milwaukee. For some reason Phil really stands out on the background vocals of Half Step singing "across the Rio Grandio" Also Brent's Blow Away... Mecca was a small arena, by today's measure... Another rambling point, was on 4/16/89 the encore was Box of Rain... Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there.... was etched into my memory for ever.... please be safe everyone... bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bob t

Bob T. I was at those shows as well in 89. We made the track from Minneapolis. I know what you mean about the 89 feeling, they just seemed to be getting better and better. Box of Rain, encore! Yes. We stayed at the Embassy Suites close to the Mecca and it was a wild scene after the shows. People dancing and making a scene... Crazy times.
I remember when I got home, my Dad gave me the boot. I didn't really have permission to go, but went anyway.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Easily in the top three road trips of all time. We were going to skip the spring 89 tour since there really weren’t any northeast shows. But, I had been to Milwaukee before and knew it was a cool town. So four of us piled into the car after work on a Friday and made the fourteen hour drive through the entire night. We arrived early Saturday morning and of course could not check into the hotel. Nothing else to do but start the party. What an awesome scene. No hassles from the authorities. Everyone having a great time. We wound up going to a Brewers game and parties at Marquette before heading down to the shows. No way we could drive home after the Sunday show as planned, so we were forced to stay an extra night. We had to pull over in Ohio so a buddy could call in sick to work as a bartender. He got fired. Haven’t really listened to the shows since, but I remember that they played Blow Away. That’s about it. It was one of those trips that was more memorable because of the entire scene than the music. Kinda like Oxford. And totally worth it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Just watched 4/15/89 first set on Youtube.... the whole next night is on it also... glad you guys were there...

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

Not sure if this question belongs here, but should we be expecting the announcement of Dave's Picks vol 35 soon? Anybody with some insight out there? Appreciated.

4-6-89
My first show.

So glad I made the choice to go to the show (I was on probation for DUI and technically wasn’t allowed to be around a scene like that).

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I’ve just paid the customs charges for the box set (£30.27 for interest). I could have called at the sorting office to collect it tomorrow, but I can’t justify that as an essential journey. Should be delivered on Wednesday 8th. I am looking forward to hearing it. I’ve been listening to DP20 from 1976 and have enjoyed that. I’m now on to DP21 from 1980 which is different but still interesting. Next will be DP22, as you can tell I’m listening to all the DP’s in numerical order.

Last 5 non-GD
I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight - Richard and Linda Thompson
A Beard Of Stars - Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Balaclava - Pearls Before Swine
MPLA - Tapper Zukie
The Radio Tisdas Sessions - Tinariwen

At some point I must get back to listening to some newer discs! All of the above are old favourites.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Bolo suggested a communal show for our collective enjoyment/discussion and put his chips on -- wait, I assume Bolo is male -- Feb '78.

In an effort to be an absurdist (hey, why not go with my strengths?), and by pumping enough hot air into my ego that it will explode (not unlike Hunter Thompson's tire-filling escapade en route to Las Vegas) I have set up a Clash of the Titans!

The mighty, delusional (is that comma in the right place?) HF puts HIS chips on Feb 23-24, 1968, Lake Tahoe.

Can I get just one "amen"?

Note to jimbobwe: I have no idea when Dave's Picks arrive, but my wild ass guess is end of April. But whether a pandemic means that people continue to manufacture, box (slashing away), ship or deliver is whole 'nother question.

Edit: Looks like Bolo and marye just gave me a piledriver to the canvas! I concede.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Complete April 1971 Recordings, next box set please. Release every show in April 1971 in one box set.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

!

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Great listening tips on Thirty Trips Box folks, really appreciate your insights.

--Also, love Bolo's idea, can't wait to see the responses...I hope folks will be a bit critical and opinionated, yet tactful on these "selected" shows, because it will sure get boring quick if it's an all out love-fest for every show......

Stay safe

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by RobbZ

April 6? why that's my bday!
Dicks Picks 18? why 2/3/78 was my first show! a grateful dead bday of sorts!
I'm there! Cold Rain & Snow my first song? Yowza!

Thanks Bolo and Marye for setting this up! Stay safe everybody!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kid

HF, I’m down with your 68 pick! I’m not familiar with Dicks 18 cause that’s not one of my go to eras, but I’ll take some ass whoopin’ 68 almost any Day! Have work to do in the garage so that oughta get this codger Moving!

SPRING 89: saw Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, why the fuck I didn’t go to Ann Arbor I’m not sure..oh yeah, new job so with weekends only etc, but one of my main mates went so I usually, totally would of gone, Doooo!
But yaaassss, it did seem like there was not only a natural renewal of life that spring, but also in the nuance of the Dead. It was like a slow progression that started after the coma and the madness of TOG MTC etc, showed true promise at the Hampton 88 shows we were at, continued somewhat through that year, but seemed to really be noticeable in 89, especially by Summer tour. Of course the fall 89 for me was a real peak, followed of course by the awesome, consistent spring 90 tour. To me it seemed like during summer 90 things were starting to change again as is the way with the dead. Brent was an obvious factor here as you could tell something was up with him, but of course none of us saw his early demise coming. Talk about big changes....I still think they should have taken a hiatus like 74... look how that worked out....I mean is it just me, but it seems like all the other cool stuff Jerry did get into in the nineties seemed way fresher then the Dead at the time, and he seemed to actually enjoy those side trips.
MECCA: never went there, but looking back should have, bet it was a groovy scene. We used to go out of our way to pick those kind of places that we felt/thought would be comfortable to freak freely versus the big crazy cities, with less face it, usually more wanna be and joy riders than hardcore veterans, percentage wise.
DEAVIKES: image you caught the Minn. show too then? Do you recall that first midi Drumzzz? That became one of my favorite parts especially during the later years.

DAVES 34: usually they arrive here around the end of April, but definitely wondering if this madness will effect that. Don’t mind waiting but really hope we at least get it, even if it means a death trip to the PO....

Stay well, stay safe, stay home!

...must confess I’m not that familiar with, but personally don’t seem to get it? Perhaps I’m jaded by the closed minded “same repetitive set lists” dogma, but I think it’s more about the diminishing lack of big psychedelic jams. So same reasons I don’t listen to as much of other eras that most of you consider top shelf (where mamma hides the cookies!).
But there’s always been this energy here surrounding it so when it eventually is realesed Im sure I’ll like it but hope I’ll truly get shown the light like is often the case for me since I started to hang with all y’all...THANKS!
But curious why specifically folks are so rabid about this tour? Please enlighten me!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The sights
The sensations
The thoughts

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Received my copy today, interestingly without any import fees.
Unfortunately boxset itself got a bit bashed up during transit.
Crumpled corners with a 3 inch gash/tear up one of the hinges.
The spine of the book is bit of a mess of glue and string. Do other peoples look similar?
A bit disappointing but there are far worse things going on at the moment.
The music and mastering are a superb as always.

OROBOROUS, yes, I was at the show at the old Met Center after the Mecca shows. This is where the North Stars used to play.
This was back in the day when they did wrist bands to determine when you got to buy tickets, I think like a month before the show. Waited in line outside for what seemed like forever. Ended up hitting the wristband jackpot and landed second row floor sets for four of us! $20!
I wish I had the crystal clear memory of shows like some of you have but I don't, so I don't remember the Drums being any different. Great show, closest I ever got to the boys. I do remember the Iko Iko opener, early Victim at that point in time. Great second set, Estimated Eyes, Crazy Fingers, awesome NFA, Knockin Encore. That was the last show the did in MN and the July Alpine shows were the last shows the did in WI. Never could figure out why.

Man, if we could all go back in time?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

And wow--DP 18 for a first show?! That Pick is always in HEAVY rotation with me.

Oro--I also do not share the love for Spring '71, but hope these ravenous fans of that era get their box one day. I'm with you in hoping for a box of everything presentable from 1968. Do give 1978 a chance. There are some AMAZING shows that year.

Vikes--I'm jealous of your Met Center show. I was a freshman at the U that spring, but was two years away from getting on the bus.

GivingIt--yes, the spine is designed that way; the book opens flat that way.

Dave's Picks 34 due on or around May Day. GarciaLive 13 a week or so earlier, and the Origins graphic novel about the same time. What a time to be a Head!!

p.s. Looks like Origins is $17.97 at Bull Moose. GarciaLive was $11.97, but is now $13.97 there.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Step 1: Break out the sugar cube from the freezer. Divide in half. Ingest both halves.

Step 2: Put on Ladies and Gentlemen the Grateful Dead.

Step 3: Firmly hold volume knob and give it a hard twist to the right.

Step 4: Pop a beer. Spark up spleef. Buckle seatbelt.

Step 5: Repeat as needed.

Seriously now, I'm not sure I can articulate the April '71 mystique, but to borrow a phrase from forensicdoc, it's "sledgehammer" music -- the core 5, back to rock 'n roll basics. As for big jams, they're all over the place. You really have to give Ladies & Gentlemen a spin for the Dark Star > St Stephen > Not Fade > Goin' Down the Rd medley, or my favorite, Alligator > drums > jam > Goin' Down the Rd > Cold Rain. Major jammy.

Maybe a simpler way of putting it: Pigpen is in full force, greasier than a side of bacon on medium heat.

About buckling that seatbelt: I moved from Steamboat Springs to Fort Collins, Colo., in 1988, with a dog, a cat and a mattress. No furniture, no nothing. So my buddy, the Dokdor, pulls a bench seat out of his van and lends it to me for a couch. Came with seatbelts and ashtray. We used to buckle up for happy hour, me and my woman, side by side. I still recall the disturbed look on my father's face when he visited. Nice living room with picture window and van seating for two. And nothing else.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

What I like about it:

* From Feb - April '71 they introduced one metric fuckton of new songs. And if they didn't introduce them, they began peaking on stuff from Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. If I look at the track list for Ladies and Gentlemen and Three From the Vault, I would guess 65 to 75% of the songs are not on official release prior to these. And prior to that, Skull & Roses came out as an official release in that actual era, so people were getting some of these tracks for the first time. I can't find a better released Morning Dew prior to the one on Ladies & Gentlemen for example, or Midnight Hour to name a couple. I guess add King Bee. New Minglewood Blues. Only Ripple. Second That Emotion. Dark Hollow.

Truckin' and Bertha tightened up by Autumn '71, and Bird Song went into hyperspace after they gave it a rest between the summer of 71 and the summer of 72. Those are really the only songs I can think of that may have gotten a little bit better on a more consistent basis. I'm not saying there aren't any great Truckin's in Spring of 71, just saying it got even better later. China Cat IMHO gained an immediate infusion of energy; the two drummer versions that came prior always seemed a bit crowded to me.

* One drummer. I think they really began to swing a bit more wiith just Billy back there. Take a listen to St. Stephen from Ladies and Gentlemen - the last-minute is pure rock and roll. Hard to Handle peaked big time and continued into the summer with those great August versions, where one drummer allowed for some intense improvisational instrumental solo sections - I'm talking about the little 2 to 3 minute jams within some of the shorter songs, when they chose to rock out. Greatest Story Ever Told is another. It rocked out extra hard and Spring 71, prior to Jerry picking up the Wah wah on it.

* Agree, they definitely took a step back in the duration of a lot of the Dark Stars and they played it frighteningly few times compared to 72 and 73 and 69 and 70 before it. But that being said, the times they did play it were some of the best 12 to 15 minutes of Dark Star you'll hear with acouple of 20s. No cacophony, no meltdowns, no atonal space drift. Just pure Dark Star melodies and Garcia noodling. February 18th was awesome, all 3 in April were awesome. You will find beautiful Jam on Feb 18th, which is one of a kind, as well as the Jam on Ladies and Gentlemen which may as well be in the middle of a Dark Star.

* Pigpen peaked on the organ. It's funny you mention it actually. House listing in the Cold Rain and Snow from Ladies and Gentlemen this morning, thinking how accomplished Pigpen had become by then. By then he was still playing sparsely, which is good because it didn't overwhelm the soundscape, but he also wasn't limiting himself to chords and basic melodies; he was actually improvising a bit in between. You can really hear him on the 30 Trips show from March.

* Sound quality - the Port Chester and Fillmore East runs are all multi-track sourced.

Its a great release, no question, but I am not sure I would prioritise a release of the whole run as a box set. Those 2 second set jams mentioned from 4/28 and 4/29 are incredible, though. Its years since I listened to tapes of the whole shows from those two dates, but I seem to remember the first two sets were quite similar, in feel if not actual song selection.
I feel the same way about Portchester February 71-very popular on here, and frequently suggested as the source for a future box - but it wouldn't be my choice.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

You're probably right. It's probably one of those deals like Winterland October 74. Once you actually list out what didn't make the movie soundtrack, you're not missing that much. But I would take any of these over a nineties box set for example.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Oh yes, so would I !

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

All of this talk of '71 made me think of the awesome 2/19/71 Port Chester show released as 3FTV. That show has one of the best versions of GSET ever, a version that like some others from '71 has that great loping feel to it. I also realized that 3FTV has a great Easy Wind, another song I dig and a premium Pig vehicle. Which made me wonder, which other, if any, official releases have an Easy Wind? Haven't had a chance to look thoroughly, but can't think of any others off the top of my head. Nice summary on some of the appeal of '71 Keithfan2112, not really much else to add beyond what you already pointed out.

Last 5 - more 1967
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Grateful Dead - 11/10/67 from 30 Trips. Yeah, I have underestimated this show, it smokes. Can I amend my top shows from the 30 Trips box answer?
Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Doors - The Doors
Chambers Brothers - Time Has Come

Edit: DP 16, DaP 10, and DaP 30 all have Easy Wind.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo, rockers!!!!

I must admit that I'm both amused and amazed at all the 1971 chatter flying back and forth. Seems like old times....

First and foremost, my prediction----there will never be a single complete April 1971 box set. It's not because it isn't good, great, classic, and occasionally sublime. It is, and so much more. But for most, it's too big and unwieldy. People bought 30 Trips because there was variety. The E72 box had all that amazing jamming. Selling a box with 20 shows that on first glance (and I emphasize, "first glance") are very similar is a much tougher nut to crack.

Generally, the "detractions" about this period fall into two camps:
1) "The repertoire". Yes, there is a lot of repetition. Some new stuff, Bobby cowboy tunes, Pigpen's grease---but hey, if you don't care for that, then April 1971 is definitely NOT the month for you. And as some have pointed out, "big jams" are generally lacking. That can't be denied. The big jams vehicles that month were The Other One and Good Lovin'. Hey, works for me, but not for everybody.
2) "The style". Since I'm a rocker, I'm drawn to the style of this era and revel in it. Pared down, lean, mean, Bakersfield blasts of hard edged rock and roll. Not all of it is sledgehammer material, but some is, which means it's very powerful. But others like their Dead smoother, creamier, jammier. I get that.

Then there's the issue of the Fillmore shows. Since portions were released already, that makes their inclusion in a big box a little redundant. And there's all those guests, and the legalities, and the hassles, and the lawyers. But I'd love to see 4/25 as a solo release----that Hard To Handle is as crunchy as a Jake Lamotta right hook.

Make no mistake----while every April 71 show has something to recommend it, not every show that month was a gem. I won't name names, folks know who I mean. Personally, I think an April 71 mega box would sell poorly, which is something that TPTB dwell on over fine cigars and cognac. But I think a pared down box, excluding the Fillmores, would sell very well. Maybe 5 or 6 shows, my preferences would be 4/6, 8, 12, 14, 18, 21.

Actually, I'd much prefer a Port Chester or Fall "FM shows" box (IF it include 11/7, 10/29, and 12/5!)

Guess that's all for now, time to go read some cosmology and strum the guitar....

Rock on,

Doc
P.S. Anybody who needs/wants any 71s, Aprils or otherwise, you know where to find me...……….

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Charlie3, the ones that come to mind - my fav from the Closing of Winterland bonus disc. I don't even want to tell you what I traded to get this CD into my collection back in my completist days, when my credit card had no balance :D

Anyway that has one from I think New Year's Eve 1970 into '71. Or was it 71 in the 72... I get the years confused on that disc because they're all New Year's shows. Dave's Picks Thelma, DP 16, Fillmore East Road Trips 3.3 all have Easy Wind. Hmmm could that be it?

I wonder why they didn't play this one more. I would have traded it for a couple of the shorter tracks he did on the Europe 72 tour. Next time you see me & Hurts Me Too.

Hi Doc, good to hear you weigh in on 1971 - any discussion on that subject matter without your input seems kind of in vain. Vein. Veign. Vaughn. Stevie Ray Vaughn. WHO IS Stevie Ray Vaughn. That's my final answer.

I would be less interested in Port Chester and Fillmore East Spring 71 if they had not been recorded on multitrack. It's that tease for pristine sound that really elevates them on my list. If I think about it, the 30 Trips show from 3/18/71 is IMHO the best sounding two track from 1971 pre-Keith (of the official releases). Come to think of it, I wonder if any 1971 Pre-Keith shows came back with that acquisition of tapes from the lost storage locker. Hmmmm. Chin scratcher.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Great version of Easy Wind! It would be nice if this whole video of Calibration could be cleaned up and released. The Dead at their best.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

as saying, with all due respects to everyone and all, I'd go for a 30-disc box of spring '71 in a heartbeat, even if it destroyed the business model and it was the last thing I every heard.

Love, HF

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

With all of this free time on hand, I’m going to do something others have done. Europe 72 on the anniversary dates. Someone else mentioned that it took them 2 1/2 years to get through the first listen. It took me a year and a half. Now I have time.

Hard to believe that it’s coming up on 25 years since Garcia passed. I’m a bit surprised that not more has been made of it. A special release perhaps?

71 is the deal. Doc was on top of this long ago. Flat out rock and roll. A Capitol release would be very welcome.

As for the person who asked why many of us shun the later years.

Easy Answers
Eternity
Samba in the Rain

And many, many others. Not banging. Just providing clarity.

A little bit too much Vince Gilligan in tonight’s episode of BCS.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I think an April 1971 box would be a great seller. They could put out two versions, a smaller version for folks that didn't want to spend so much and then the whole enchilada for those of us that want it all. As far as guest artists, as much as I dig both Duane Allman and the Beach Boys I wouldn't be buying it because of the small amount of tracks that they would be on anyways. I believe that their relatives or surviving band members would be more then happy to have them included, and if not , so be it, that would not be a deal breaker for me, as I wouldn't be buying it for them anyways.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kid

or...How I learned to stop worrying and love the Corona-Virus...

wash your f'n hands people.
Be safe...be smart...be kind.
Stay home!
PLAY DEAD!

Mentioned by Doc...now that would be something, if a box came out chronicling those shows. 11/7 is one of my favourite shows from any era. From the moment Keith joined there was a real sense that they were setting off on a new and exciting journey. Which, of course, proved to be the case.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html