• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

This month is the 150 year anniversary of Golden Gate Park. I 'm sure if Garcia was alive and the Carona Virus wasn't around , the Dead would be putting on a concert there. They are going to be showing concerts online in April, that have taken place in the past in the park. Today they are showing a Boz Scaggs concert and part of a Metalica concert. I'm sure they will show Grateful Dead concert videos from the park sometime in the month of April. Go to Golden Gate Park 150 year anniversary for information.

It will come later and consist mostly of lower sound quality cassette masters, and 90’s digital masters that sound good but the shows don’t have quite enough oomph to justify a physical release.

I imaging that there will be an on demand streaming/download library of everything in 30-40 years.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

As far as any increase in the rate of new releases, I think you have to consider both the capacity of these guys to increase the output without sacrificing quality and the capacity of the market, us, to absorb the increased output.

I think you have to consider their capacity to clean up these old tapes and apply their sonic wizardry. I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I've gotten spoiled with the sound quality of these box sets and Dave's Picks. Whenever there is a show that has lesser sound quality these threads light up with comments about it, so I suspect that I am not alone. If the sound quality were to drop off it would dampen my enthusiasm. Another related factor is the various quality control issues that have cropped up over the past couple of years. I suspect if they exceed their current capacity significantly that these problems are more likely to recur, and that would also dampen enthusiasm, if not generating some negativity. So the capacity of these guys to process the tapes and digitize them, and the manufacturing and distribution capacity would seem to be the limiting factor on their end. At least until they run out of decent recordings.

As far as my individual ability to absorb an increase in these releases, I am about at capacity. It's not just a matter of how much I am willing to spend each year, but how much I can listen to and process each year. I could probably see a second box in some years, depending on the size of each box, or maybe upping Dave's Picks to 5 each year, but much beyond that would hit the point of diminishing returns where I was just in a mad rush of acquisition without and time for appreciation and reflection. Others on here may have a different capacity, but that would be where I'm at on the amount of time and money I can feel fine about putting into new Dead each year. There are other interests and music to enjoy as well as the Dead after all.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Jim & Angry, I'd be guessing that, unless the current procedure is stopped in its tracks by uncontrollable or inevitable events, yes, the vault process will continue as is.

In which case, they need to reshuffle their priorities to suit ME!

Give us the best of 6/9, 6/10/73. The best of Watkins Glen's two sets.
Time for that fall '72 box.
A box from April '71.
A box from spring '69.
MORE '68!!
Red Rocks, Aug 12, McNichols Aug 13/14, 1979.

Am I a sick-o or what? I take a thoughtful discussion and turn it into my selfish wish list. That takes twisted talent.

To get back on track (what the hell does that mean?), does anyone have any factual information on what's left of 1968 in the vault? The latter part of the year presages '69 and I could dig a double-CD release.

Probably I better wash the dishes (and hands) and pay my bills. Got 6-14-76 on now.

Edit: Charlie3 just hit a point I completely omitted. The capacity/time/inclination to appreciate and absorb. For instance, two friends and I took 2 1/2 years to make our way through the Europe '72 box, at a rate of just over two months per show. We really wanted to experience each show in its own glory and become hungry for the next show long before we played it. We instituted a no-talking rule while music was playing -- which is very difficult when Jer or Pigpen comes popping out of the speakers into your living room. That produced quite a bit of silent, comedic facial expressions. And it royally pissed off a visitor who joined us for a show.

And I think Jim and Charlie hit another point: if they don't put the spit shine on their releases, what's the point? Charlie Miller et al really fill in the void on that point.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Uncle John , of course being John Mclaren, the man who designed and help build Golden Gate Park.

I wasn't keen on that download series, myself. I got most of them, but none of them burned a whole in me like the great physical releases have.
I can't see myself buying any more post 1974 boxes either, although I am quite happy with what pops up in Dave Picks. I would actually prefer releases before 1974-especially from the 1960s - if they were incomplete shows with less than optimum sound quality, to a post 74 release that sounds perfect. That just me-we're all different.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

At least as far as the returned betty boards, the quality of the 5/26/73 Kezar show is on the same level as the June 76 box. Also the Paramount Northwest and Parmount Theatre shows from 9/28, 9/29, 10/1 and especially 10/2 are up there, along with the Capitol Theatre shows from Feb 71 and the April 71 board . Those spring 78 boards are also great quality... Eventually we get a Fall 90 Europe box... summer of 90 has been lacking, I know they filmed it... Hopefully the Warfield, Saenger, Radio City shows didn't get taped over... We did get 2 acoustics back last year and released.. We will get the Rock for life show from 2/17/79 as a Dave's picks... I wish but i don't have confidence on the June 10, 1973 show getting release... Alpine 89 released in whole, instead of my VHS downhill from here.. I know we are burned out on 77, but the Palladium 5 show run from 77 will get released (i know i have one of the download series, (4/29/77)... wow i'm rambling sorry.... If June 4. 1977 Forum show is ever found drop the Mic!!! ( if it was even taped via board)

....some awesome stuff there. My favorite was the episode where everyone's life status was dependent on other peoples upvotes/down votes and that lady just gets wrecked.
"Science Fiction?"
edit. Found it. "Nosedive". Season 3. Ep 1. A must see imo.
The USS Callister is also 👌. Season 4. Ep 1.

Great points all, and though I agree on saturation and absorption issues, I think they could step up production if they wanted to. Yes the production team are truly wizards, but at the same time it’s not rocket science. If they have the tapes and know their good to use, the rest is doable.
Personally, I think adding one or 2 more Dave’s a year, and doing say one “bigger” box i.e., June 76, and one smaller i.e., RFK 89 a year, if staggered properly, and marketed properly (like dont release 2 competing sets in a year?and price accordingly) could work.
Maybe not 2 “boxes” every year, maybe years like this with 2 50th anniversary albums you don’t do 2, but say years that don’t have a 50th release get another release/box/from the vault? Whatever....but something above and beyond say a Dave’s or Dicks type release.
Sure you might not be able to do 15 or 20K units, but you could make up for with the additional releases...
I mean I agree with all you have said, except at current pace they could run out of hardcore absolute buyers so that by 20 years they can’t even sell out a 5K box run? Just a thought.....
As far as the rest, I get what Jim’s saying about the quality and easy accessibility issues, but I think if they could figure out some kind of economy of scale to make it work, so that you could at least get out some of the later source shows, enough folks would want at least certain shows, say ones they were at, or those that were really stand outs.
So if they could find a way to digitize and improve quality enough, with added packaging/marketing, to be enough of a step up above the online stuff, while of course turning at least a fair profit, it might work?
I think there’s enough low tech geezers like me that would totally buy enough shows overall to do this. I’m not going to spend time I don’t have downloading tons of stuff via my horrible net service. But I would buy say a few dozen ala carte releases like a Road trips or even the download series quality, but on a disc. (I’m talking full or most of shows here, not chop jobs).
With everything digitized, using a low budget universal packaging system you could do say pre-sale order only.
Like “next month only, order your 7/13/84” ...you get your money up front, and you don’t have to guess about run numbers. You take your universal packaging, change the labeling slightly, and you sell however many so that at least it will pay for itself. Might not be huge money maker, but you repay the fans for 50 plus years of ridiculous spending, plus in some ways you keep those interested that aren’t hardcore, or all ready feel they have plenty of older shows.
Just look at how well the response was for the Giants box? No ones going to argue that any of this would compare or replace say FW69 or E72 leval stuff, but I would argue that there is potentially enough interest for late generation folks who aren’t going to drop $200 for a 1970 Beatty box, but who would definetly buy the 3 or 4 ala carte shows they were at from later years. 4 or 5 $30 purchases, along with added shipping profits, by 10s of thousands of buyers overall, could equal or surpass the high production limited profits of said $200 box.
Sorry, rambling, I guess I’m trying to say their ignoring a potentially large audience by only offering product they don’t want!
Obviously it means doing this somehow affordably/profitably, and I also think you have to do it sooner than later because I agree with Kid that someday it will all be upgraded and availabilie via download, but will there still be a economically viable market by then? Who knows, hell, no way I thought 30 years ago the Dead would still be this relevant now....
Anyway, just a thought, and interesting stuff for sure!

Thanks and R.I.P. Eliis and the Great Bill Withers...
May the four winds blow them safely home!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

"I wish but i don't have confidence on the June 10, 1973 show getting release."

I read way back that the GD and ABB had put together a box of the best from 6/9, 6/10, 7/27 and 7/28, but nixed it. Of course, it's harder to do those deals with two bands and sets of heirs. But why do you say this of 6/10?

Just curious. Have you read something about the tape or other issue?

user picture

Member for

7 years

I agree with you on what you are saying but general releases dont do well in brick and mortar stores. I have seen a sunshine daydream veneta at barnes and noble sit there for months with no buyers. Same with a few other that dont sell (Cornell and long strange trip vid.). Its weird.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Just give me the remaining Dark Star shows Plangentized ASAP. Give it its own series. Or make a big box set. Or periodic mini box sets. The rest will take care of itself.

I'm also on board with the Watkins Glen release that was mentioned. And the RFK '73 double dose. I'm also good with the April '71 box set idea - and make sure it's engineered to sound exactly like Ladies and Gentlemen. Might as well mention Port Chester '71 since the wish list is out.

At the moment I'm listening to Dave's Picks 17, Selland July '74. Keith sounds so good on Weather Report Suite. I've been a big fan of this show since it arrived on my doorstep. I wish Bertha wasn't fucked up. If I had my old easy CD Creator software, I'd be able to patch it by overdubbing the opening chords. Anyway....It's been a few months since I put this one on. Now I'm wondering if I like it better than the 1974 shows in the Pacific Northwest box set. I may need to do a side-by-side comparison. I'm also experiencing some runner's high at the moment, and that never hurts a show. I know it's not a popular choice but it just catches me the right way. I wonder why they didn't call "Jam" "Spanish Jam". Blah blah, blah blah blah blah.....

Ironically Carlo, it was a Sunshine Daydream sitting on a Barnes & Noble shelf that converted me from being a casual fan to holding a PhD in Europe '72. Ah yes, that fateful day in B & N. I've barely put another band on since April 2014. Something weird happened in January of this year and I started listening to the Best of INXS. But by February the spell had passed and I'm right back on the bus with Cowboy Neil at the wheel.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Hope everyone is doing well, I'm just hanging out digging on this box. It's a bit of slow process when no one in the house but me "gets it". "Theres 5 versions of the same song in 5 shows?" Haha. Also listening to some anniversary shows, love me some 4/2/73. And just to switch it up I've been listening to the island tour. I was lucky enough to hit the first 2. If u want some deep outer space, I highly recommend the twist from 4/2, man that version takes me places! Stay safe, and keep washing those hands!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by Shadeyguy

And since this seems to be request time, I'll throw my hat in the ring for san antonio 72. I think its 11-26? Fantastic dark star, playing, etc. Unfortunately the only version available sounds like hot garbage. Definitely needs an upgrade

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by Shadeyguy

And I would buy all of them! Watkins Glen complete with the other bands and sound check would be, if, I had to pick only one, would be The One! Yet RFK 73 would be a runner up.

I still daydream about Radio City/Warfield tapes being rediscovered.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Vguy...yes, Nosedive is one that stood out for me too. I've described that to friends of mine who poo poo science fiction. I've just started on the 4th season, which opens with the other episode you mention USS Callister. Gives science fiction a good name.

Last album I played was Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service. One of the best psych guitar albums I've ever heard. I've had it 46 years now, and it still shines brightly. But I can't think of any other band that followed such a great album with such a weak one - Happy Trails followed by Shady Grove.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

We all have our favorite eras, of course. Never could figure out the people that won't go past certain dates, but to each his own. I know I have been surprised by eras I didn't used to think were my favorites.
If you have not heard it, the 4/30/77 show from the Palladium, Download Series #1, is one of my many favorites. Agree with Bob T, it would be great if all the 77 Palladium shows were released.
My collection is getting a workout and we have many weeks to go. I was thinking, depending how long this nightmare lasts, I might listen to all of it. Then what? Never thought I would be able do that in 6 to 7 weeks.
What did Sam Hughs say, "I don't even know if I will be alive five years from now."

Stay strong and be well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I said i have no confidence based upon only there seems to be too many party's and moving parts involved... i would buy it in a second along with 6/9/73 if it ever gets released. bob t

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Amazing Feelin' Groovy jam about 11 minutes into The Other One Newcastle 4/11/72. I'd forgotten about that one.

Sure this boxset would not shadow E72. Too weak for a boxset, but one show in Paris & one1 in London?
I will carry on with april 71 depending on what is in the vault.
Digging the bues in the GD I found this Hurts me too Lake tahoe DP23 and this incredible "Nobody's fault but mine" Vabncouver74(PNW); I am still wondering if "3A to E Flat jam"-BFAllah remast is instrumental blues?
Anyway from the remast serie of classic albums BFA is the best due to the new material.
and let us sing this blues away...

user picture

Member for

8 years

... a grateful day to everyone.
I’m enjoying Dicks Picks #25
Almost two complete shows from 1978
And on this release we are blessed by the band having & using both ‘Bears’ recorded reels but also inn the vault is betty’s Recordings of these performances.
2 primo sources! What a grateful release! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

Can't pass on this one today.. thanks Bob. Lonesome and a Long Way From Home, I always got that song.. Love the Grateful Dead, ..but then there's the Jerry Garcia Band.

A little levity to counterbalance what is not turning out to be brevity.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Welcome to all the new and infrequent posters.

Before launching my first trip through E72 in two days, I'm going back through the Academy shows, and actually UNWRAPPED Dick's 30 the other day; apparently I have never listened to THAT, either. I've kept up pretty well on everything the past five years or so, but that stretch back when the kids were young has lots of unopened GD and a dearth of homebrew made.

Black Mirror is/was amazing, and my wife and I just enjoyed the U.S.S. Calista episode for the first time. But I do hope they get off that plot concept they seem to trot out every four episodes or so, i.e., "We've taken your persona in digital format . . . " Now we started on our first trek through Twin Peaks. When that show first came out I was too busy learning about college bars and the GD to pay it any mind.

I think we're at my saturation point for frequency of releases. Loving them, though! My wish list is for anything/everything from 1968, some choice Bettys from 1978, and a Summer 1991 box.

Be kind--rewind.

p.s. Samurai Jack. 'Nuff said.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Bob t and all, I dug out the Taper's Compendium yesterday after posting on 6/10 and I see I'd forgotten two things about it: a) it's nearly 4 1/2 hours of music and b) the third set has the ABB all over it.

But the Deadhead's mind is a crafty one... so I immediately ran the calculation on length -- Dave could use the 2nd annual release of the DaPs, the one with bonus disc, and 4 x 80 minutes would cover the show, depending on how the songs break at the 80 minute mark. I have not attempted to carve up the timing myself.

As for the ABB, the GD basically handed them the February '70 tape by Owsley for their use. Of course I have no idea whether or what arrangements were in play. But surely ABB manager Bert Holman wants to keep the ABB's legacy glowing so why not go for it? If the jamming is mediocre, cut a track or two.

Anywhoo, after all this time, here I am again, playing the Dave L whisperer. Sunday, bright and warm in Denver town. Think I'll finish up 6-14-76 today. I dragged 5-26-73 off the shelf for a test run and 9-28-75, which is a nice hot tape and the last show til 76.

Cheers. I've got whiskey in my coffee, and that's all right with me........

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

It would work they would have use Disc 3 as the bonus Disc.

Grateful Dead
RFK Stadium
Washington, DC
June 10, 1973

Set 1:
d1t01 - Morning Dew
d1t02 - Beat It On Down The Line
d1t03 - Ramble On Rose
d1t04 - Jack Straw
d1t05 - Wave That Flag
d1t06 - Looks Like Rain
d1t07 - Box Of Rain
d1t08 - They Love Each Other
d1t09 - The Race Is On
d1t10 - Row Jimmy
d1t11 - El Paso
d1t12 - Bird Song

d2t01 - Playing In The Band

Set 2:
d2t02 - Eyes Of The World ->
d2t03 - Stella Blue
d2t04 - Big River
d2t05 - Here Comes Sunshine
d2t06 - Around And Around

d3t01 - Dark Star ->
d3t02 - He's Gone ->
d3t03 - Wharf Rat ->
d3t04 - Truckin'
d3t05 - Sugar Magnolia

Set 3:
d4t01 - It Takes A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry
d4t02 - That's All Right, Mama
d4t03 - The Promised Land
d4t04 - Not Fade Away ->
d4t05 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
d4t06 - Drums ->
d4t07 - Not Fade Away
d4t08 - Johnny B. Goode

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Been a while and want to dip back into this box...was wondering, what are your top/favorite three or four shows from this collection? No need to explain why unless you want to, I trust all your instincts.

Thanks for sharing...hope everyone is well!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

9/28/75 Hendrixfreak is going to play it today
9/18/74 Dijon France
Waterbury 72
91 Madison Square Garden with Branford

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by RobbZ

11-10-67 is spectacular. Sounds even better on vinyl.

Lots of good stuff in that Box.

The Wharf Rat>Playing transition on 4-25-77 always puts a smile on my face. So much so that I bought that show on vinyl too.

And of course, 10-27-79 was the icing on the cake of this Box for me.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

It requires 4 CD-R’s.

My suggestion for release of that show is a full-blown commercial release in retail establishments and without a set number of ‘limited’ units.

Edit:
Or, just Set 3 is released in stores as a single CD. Each band can then release their own portions of the 2 nights on their own.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Impossible for me to pick only 3, also, I can’t put them in preferential order, just too many shades of grey in-between these shows. That said:
11/10/67-Disc 2!!
4/15/70-(again) Disc 2+Man’s Man’s world
3/18/71-My fave GSET+Disc2
10/3/76-Disc 3!!
4/27/77-Disc 2!!
10/12/84-Shocked me how good it is

Dark Horse—5/16/81, up until Stella.
That’s almost 3??

Stay healthy & safe all!!

Yes Robz absolutely
67-91+71+79+74...91 with Branford, Bruce for a rare" lot to laugh, train to cry" into BTWind

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

There are a lot of great shows in the Big Box. Hard to pick three. But if I had to I’d say these are three of favorites.

October 27, 1979: Cape Cod Coliseum, South
Yarmouth, Massachusetts

October 3, 1976: Cobo Arena, Detroit,
Michigan

April 15, 1970: Winterland, San Francisco,
California

The 1970 show at Winterland is incredible. It’s my go to show from the Big Box and from the ‘68 to ‘71 era. A great show.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

2/22/69 Dreambowl. This show is in the same time frame and at the same quality level as the FW '69 shows a few days later. The Dark Star on this on is fantastic, really similar to the FW '69 iterations, and the recording by Owsley Stanley is excellent.

11/14/73 San Diego. A monster '73 show, and I am always fond of something from '73. Great recording by Kidd Candelario, I find most of the released stuff recorded by him is excellent sound quality.

9/28/75 Golden Gate Park. Great companion to 1FTV, lots of Blues for Allah stuff, great recording by Betty Cantor-Jackson, and it is one of only a couple of shows performed that year. Also, when this came out we did not have nearly as many officially released shows with a Help on the Way-Slipknot ( the Franklin's Tower came a few songs later in this show.

3/18/71 St. Louis. Some good Pig stuff here, particularly Ain't It Crazy (the Rub). And yeah, those '71 versions of GSET really hit the spot. Excellent recording by Rex Jackson.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I don't know the Brent shows well enough.

The shows I think are exceptional for their years, particularly when you compare them to what else is available as official releases from their respective years, I would go with:

1975 - ah if only they'd played another half hour

Runners up:

1978 - I just really like this '78 show. The audio mix, set list, and performance quality is better than most '78 IMHO. I would probably only put DP 18 and Closing of Winterland ahead of it on my '78 list.

1971 - my favorite pre-Keith two-track

1972 - fantastic show, but going by the self-imposed criteria I mentioned in the opening paragraph, this one misses my top 3 based on other great shows available and the low Jerry in the mix.

The rest of Pre-Brent - awesome shows but there is enough similar quality out there for these years to keep me hoppin':

1976 - agree, there is some good '76 style jamming, but the audio is horrific to my ears. Not sure how that coukd have happened in retrospect. My least favorite. Maybe I'll give it a retry 2nite.

I hear you. That would be sweet.

Top three 30 Trips shows for me:
73- San Diego
78-Providence
87 or 89.

74 was a disappointment due to the three or four song vocal drop out.

Be well all!

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

I’m going to have to give the 1976 show another listen as well. I don’t remember the sound quality being bad, but it’s been a while since I’ve listened to it. I remember liking it a lot, but then again it’s from my favorite era (‘76 to ‘78) so that may be why it sticks in my mind. I’ve been listening to a lot ‘76 recently (June ‘76 box set is awesome) so I’ll try and compare the sound quality.
Plenty of time to listen to the Good Old Grateful Dead right now!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something.

Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun.

If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville??

Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

This is the first Grateful Dead show that I acquired a couple of years ago (stand-alone on EBay), being my one and only live Dead experience. Trying to revisit and re-examine that evening led me to continue the journey of rediscovering the Dead for the first time. I have to agree with some other posters that the sound quality is somewhat lacking, in spite of the quality performance. I think that the major factor is that this is a Dan Healy recording as opposed to the many Betty boards that we have from this era. Compare the sound quality with the shows recorded just a week later in Oakland (by Betty - DP33). It's night and day. To my ears, in the Detroit show Jerry's guitar doesn't really stand out in the mix, and that almost defeats the purpose of a released recording. I go back to it occasionally for old time's sake but it's not a favorite despite my being there.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...most wanted? Next?! Another Duel Recording/ performance captured by Both ‘The Bear’ & Betty our Lady in Arms ;) 💀🌹
I love Betty’s recordings from Warfield shows, last used on the Dead’s RSD Release.
...I dig Bolos suggestion of topics/shows/ releases, starting with Dicks Picks #18...
How shall we begin ? Or did it start already lol ha ha 🙏❤️😎
https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR12RXfneYkj59lsruQjuwEh_L9ebNodnM…

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

....sounds fun! DP 18 is a worthy starter pack.
Just started watching Ozark. Intense. Reminds me that things could always be worse.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html