• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

June '76 has not arrived yet to my home.
Just listened to my tape-version of:
JAI-ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 - (Dave's Picks 34).
Very playful, tender and mellow. U.S. Blues is great.
Also waiting for DaP 33. Bummer!
When in the States, Sam Adams is one major brand beer I do like.
Take care

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Dead Vikes, great pick , you hit a home run with this pick! The bonus material you mentioned is also great. The Minglewood Blues is the best version that I ever saw them do live. This run would have made a nice box set, fantastic recording quality!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Angry Jack Straw,
we've visited the Guiness Brewery in Dublin some time ago.
I remember they said they were making 4 or 5 different types of Guiness.
Here in Germany there's only one type of Guiness around. Wonder why?
Of course, on tap all beers taste much much better than bottled beer.
Take care!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Thanks for the offer and I will check out the official Jimi H webpage regarding those cds. My desktop computer is old and the cd/dvd burner is not working consistently so. . .. The guy who built it for me moved away so I am not sure what I'll do. I could buy and external one pending having a new desktop built. I'll let you know when as I build my official Jimi live release collection.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by deadegad

Sadly they are not around anymore but they made a great black and tan beer in a bottle. Guiness in a bottle is nasty the draught in a can is good. Guiness is better in Ireland; it does not travel well but is still good on tap elsewhere.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

The bottles of Guinness are just the stout. The cans come with a CO2 charge canister inside so that when you pop the top, the beer pours out more like a proper Guinness draught. I prefer the cans myself.

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

1976 box #5018 has arrived in Scotland after visiting customs. Paid on-line and they delivered today. Played the Boston shows today and enjoyed greatly. NY will be tomorrow’s treat.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Mark me down with it. 9/10,11/83 had to have been my two favorite Dead concerts of the 80s that I attended. V-guy remember the rain during China Cat/ I know You Rider with the rainbow arching down to Earth beyond the stage. It was fucking Wow!
Also New Years Eve 81 with Ken Kesey right before midnight and later a Dark Star peeled my face right offa my head.
Also this coming Saturday the Native American Music Awards will be having several Native musicians performing from their homes. Time; 5pm-9pm EST . http://www.facebook.com/NativeAwards
My relations Shelley Morningsong and Fabian Fontenelle from Zuni Pueblo, New Mexico will perform from 4pm-5pm EST .
Please check this out if so moved.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

We did the Guinness tour some time ago as well. I don’t recall how many different types of beer they brew. I’ve really only seen the traditional and the blonde. Guinness is such a unique beer that I only drink the traditional.

I do recall being disappointed by the tour (and Dublin in general). We should have just taken the elevator straight to the tasting room on top for our complimentary pint.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....i wasn't there strider. I was 15 and into metal. But I was in Northern New Mexico around that time visiting extended family with my immediate family. My moms side of the family was from Taos. Three aunts still live there. Didn't have a clue the boyz were playing in the area around that time.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

I just checked back in and I think the other members here have answered it. When drinking Guinness from a keg with tap in a pub/bar/ Kneipe the Guiness comes out very smooth. The bartender also deliberately opens the tap/vom Fass slowly and pauses the pouring of the Guiness to make it creamy. Guinness from a bottle tastes like bad wine or vinegar. Guiness Co. created a can with a type of gas cartridge inside to duplicate how creamy Guinness becomes when it comes out of a tap/ vom Fass. Guinness from a can is very good but from a bottle it is very bad. I wish we were hanging out together and I could demonstrate this to you then you would understand.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Just catching up on these threads . . . Got dang there is a ton of official Hendrix live stuff out there I didn't know about. Some of us need to keep this economy afloat.

MP51 --- I have been enjoying some John Prine so far. I found a live set from 73 on the Wolfgangs Vault app. He's like Dylan's hillbilly cousin. His song 'Illegal Smile'. . . Wonder if the inspiration for that came from The Other One . . . "Busted me for smiling on a cloudy day." Its obviously about acid, or psychedelics generally.
Re: that list of songwriters. Townes Van Zandt is another guy I've heard about, but haven't really listened to. But all your others are some of my favs.

I'll see that list, and raise you a Warren Zevon.

Traffic~Mr. Fantasy
The Stooges~The Stooges
Tweak Bird~Tweak Bird
Grateful Dead~ 6-30-74
John Prine~ ??-10-1986 Asheville,N.C.
Kellar Williams & String Cheese Incident~Breathe

get some and hang tough. Be Kind...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The gas cartridge in beer cans is called a widget. This is not to be confused with the digital variety (think apps).

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

They were wondering on the news this morning if alcohol use had gone up during the recent crisis. Can't see any evidence of it myself.

As if things weren't weird enough at the moment, my street has been cordoned off for the last 20 hours due to what the police have told me is a firearm incident. Gets more dangerous out there with every passing day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Creedence Clearwater!!! When I was a kid the DJ at WMMS in Cleveland would end his all night shift every Saturday morning playing this song at 550 a.m. Worked on a greens crew so was driving to work at that time.... bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by deadegad

The Guinness Extra Stout in a bottle is tough for me to drink. I'm not sure if regular Guinness comes in a bottle or not. Regular Guinness flows down nicely, but can be painful the next day. Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout is worth the hangover!!!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Wanted to share the below; for anyone interested in tuning in to some Dark Star Orchestra streams - they are doing a bunch of free stuff today starting momentarily if you need a Friday dead fix. Wait, what am I talking about...we ALL need our Friday Dead Fix:

https://fans.com/livestream/20200410-dark-star-orchestra/?utm_source=20…

Also have been the Guinness Storehouse & Brewery in Dublin. One of the coolest beer experiences ever. The self guided tour is amazing. And of course the Guinness pints you get at the end up atop the building with great views. I recall good times.

Be Well, Deadfreaks!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Major Beer Fetish Friday! Oh yeah.

Indeed, if you live in the States, you have to compromise with the pint cans of Guinness. Strangely, I also love Hamms -- it's weak stuff, but chilled properly (just above freezing) it's a very crisp, clean beer. THEN you switch to the Guinness pint with the wojgit, whippet, nitro thing-y and you feel like you've crossed the pond. Repeat and you're actually IN the pond. (Feel free to run with the nitrous allusion...)

Bein' silly, but I've got a shot of Jameson in my coffee this morning. Will be embarking on 6-15-76 this evening, the last of the five shows for me. So much great music. Very liquid-y. This box really turned my head around about '76, when I caught maybe five shows, if memory serves. For a single show & flow, I'm currently partial to 6-10-76 and may revisit that one after 6-15, perhaps on headphones. Listened on headphones last night for the first time to some recent studio recordings I made and man, you get great separation in the stereo image. So good, I missed the Denver Howl last night....

Ja. Ich kan doch Deutsch! Aber ich habe viele vergessen. Aber es kommt gleich zurück wann ich Deutsch lese und spreche. Ubung macht den Meister!

I lived in Heidelberg for several years a long time ago. I was an exchange student. I actually moved from the southside of Dublin, Ireland to Heidelberg. Although I am from New York, my family emigrated from Ireland and I have family all over that country but my fathers vor verwandte emigrated from Scotland to Ireland after the English Civil War -- a long time ago. Germany is a beautiful country! I love it.

Take care everyone and be well. This storm will pass. The Wake of the Flood: We will get back to normal lives.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hendrix you mentioned both places I visited in Ireland - Jameson Distillery and the Guinness Storehouse (which ironically is located at "St. James Gate". That was a fun trip. I still have a sealed bottle of Redbreast 12 year. One day....

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Yes, I believe you are correct, nitro, not CO2... my mistake.

Hope everyone is doing well today! I spun set 1 and most of set 2 of 9/10/83 Santa Fe last evening (I couldn't wait for VGuy's official listening party...) and that China>Rider is so fine! EDIT: And, that Playin>China Doll... sublime!

Happy Friday, DeadLand

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years

Schweeeeeeet !. Picked up my box from the local post office yesterday morning....£28.23 in charges to pay but it is what it is. I'm just grateful that Royal Mail (my employer as i'm a postie) handled the delivery here in the U.K. and not those worthless buffoons UPS whom i've had major run-ins with in the past !.

Everything in the box is pristine and the limited edition number is 5303.

Hendrixfreak....check your PM's !.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Bob T, I love Credence Clearwater Revival, that Bayou Country album in particular - the track Born on the Bayou just works for me as does Bootleg, and who doesn't like Proud Mary? Giving it a spin now after seeing your Keep on Chooglin' reference.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

One day Dave's picks will drop this one on us its worthy of a release sounds great and it has a decent Esau a song Dave really likes.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Funny that there is a all of this CCR talk because I had been watching some Youtube clips of CCR live at Woodstock and elsewhere. What a great band they were! I wish they had some more live (I have only one) releases because the Youtube videos show CCR in excellent form. CCR's cover of I Heard it Through the Grapevine is epic. Something I did not know was that CCR followed The GD at The Woodstock Music Festival and we know The GD were unhappy with a below par performance on their part.

P.S. Oops, almost forgot, good news Deadboss that your 76 box has arrived. Although since you're employed by The Royal Mail you would think you could get an employee discount on the import tax!!!! Just sayin'! Professional courtesy. @#$&^%#g government!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

This came up a while ago but no harm in bringing it up again. Their Woodstock performance finally got an official CD release last year after 50 years. Well worth checking out as it is great.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Now YOU check yer pm.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Hello all!

In case you were unaware, Internet Archive (that place all of us Dead Heads cherish so much,) is asking for donations to keep things up and running in these tough times. As a high school teacher, as well as a fan, I have found them to be an absolutely invaluable resource. If you can donate, that would be awesome!

Anyway, in the words of the immortal Jimbo, back to your regularly scheduled Drums>Space.

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

They were my first "big" concert, May 1970 @ MSG. Booker T and the MGs opened! What a great show it was.

John Fogerty has long blamed the Dead for putting everyone to sleep before CCR hit the stage in the middle of the night at Woodstock! Even though these two bands were very friendly, both being from San Fran, John also tells a story of seeing the GD one night, and the boys were so drugged out, that it turned him and CCR off to drugs forever.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I'll just say this: CCR was a great band. Fogerty wrote some great tunes. But I caught Fogerty last year at Red Rocks and he did a 50th Woodstock-y thing for that tour, including his whiny voiced story about the Dead at Woodstock and it disgusted me. Like it's a big shared joke, how lame the Grateful Dead were. Being in the 10th row, I yelled out loud and clear. "Hey, this is a Grateful Dead town. Fuck you!" A lot of people around me cheered and laughed. I don't think Fogerty heard me. I did the exact same thing around 1981 at the tiny Rainbow Music Hall when Dave Mason tried a lame joke about Jerry and I was in the 3rd row. I said loud and clear in a slightly menacing tone: "Hey, this is a Dead crowd." I did not curse him, it was a quiet small theater and starting something with the performer did not seem wise. But Mason visibly winced at my words and moved on. In retrospect, I should have walked to the front of the stage, delivered the one-finger salute, told him off and walked out. Both Fogerty and Mason continue to tour but neither ever achieved the artistic level, audience embrace or financial success of the Grateful Dead.

Fogerty put on a great show and I'm glad I went. But I will not put another dollar in his pockeet. I just don't go for trite put-downs from inferior musicians when it comes to the GD.

Okay, rant over. Only two hours to cold beer and guitaring.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

....that lasted what. Five years? Hmm. Maybe they should have tried getting along instead of being dicks to each other and bashing others. Money. Its a gas. Oh well. Down On The Corner.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Well I'm about to get upset
From watchin' my TV
Been checkin' out the news
Until my eyeballs fail to see
I mean to say that every day
Is just another rotten mess
And when it's gonna change, my friends
Is anybody's guess
So I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'
Hopin' for the best
Even think I'll go to prayin'
Every time I hear 'em sayin'
That there's no way to delay
That trouble comin' every day
No way to delay
That trouble comin' every day

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....that the Grateful Fucking Dead are king of the hill. No question. Everyone else is just talking points. That's why we're here, right?
This current climate needs more Jerry, Phil, Bobby, Mickey, Brent, Keith, Bill, Ron, Donna, Vince, Bruce, Tom. Facts man. Facts.

Incredible rocking finale to the first set at Copenhagen 4/17/72. The whole set is good, but the last two songs of the set, Big Railroad Blues and Truckin' blow the roof off. Best savoured on that unofficial dvd that came out a while back. Shame the whole show wasn't filmed.
The armed police have finally drifted away from my front door after keeping guard for 30 hours. Quite pleasant people, as it goes, but it makes me wonder what has been going on out there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....what did your window panes tell you?? Looking out there.? What happened?
Good to know the armed police are polite. Imo, they don't want to be there either. Crazy times.
11.3.91. I don't need to look that date up cone kid, because I recognize it. And yes.
MSM told me last week we would see 3,000 US deaths per day this week. Hmm.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Is give KISS a chance.

Stoltzfus KISS has about 5 total vinil LPs of music that is on par with some of the best hard rock recorded (along the lines of AC-DC, Van Halen, and Aerosmith. Unfortunately that all occurred between 1975 and 1978. But you're right they have sucked since then with the exception of the reunion tour with Ace Frehley in the 90s.

There is currently a cover band called KISS that has two original members in it, two of the greediest most unappreciative bastards you've ever met in your life who would stab their mothers in the back for a nickel, but they can't be confused with the real deal from the 70s. Now those were some good concerts but nothing like the Dead of course. Just good old-fashioned hard rock chords in 3 minute songs. Fun rock.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I completely missed out on all of the Spring 1973 anniversary shows. Now I have to cram them in between Europe 72 shows. I just got in the two Dark Stars and the surrounding second set magic from one of the DP 28 shows and Scooby Doo House.

I think I'm on to Recommendations from the Dead next, morbidly titled because Dick Latvala said it was some of the best jamming ev-er. I'm talking about the April 2nd show (or thereabouts) from Boston, Dave's Picks with the two skeletons that look like Keith and Donna laying in the flowers.

Then I have to get the Spectrum show in. This ain't going to be easy.

Oh! Kick in the gut Stoltzie, they had a couple of good records when Ace was in the band.

Never really listened to CCR. Maybe I should. Who's going to try and get the Duane era Allman Brothers in first.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

...and quite possibly so does everything else. Angels and Devils. Not enough time to get into all that here. However, relative to John Fogerty/CCR and KISS, there appears to be a very fertile window when all those apples are cut from the tree. Maybe a two, three album period where most of the gold comes, then a gentle trailing off. Or an abrupt halt - how many genius songs are out there from "one hit wonders."

Occasionally a band can somehow find their way back (Jefferson Starplane). Or Blue Oyster Cult. But mostly, there's a peak period with every artist both commercially and artistically, then an endless mining of the hits live with slight interjection of "new material" that no one wants to hear.

CCR had a fantastic run - Run Through The Jungle alone is enough to cement a legacy. And whatever anyone thinks about KISS, Gene Simmons' bass lines were very Paul McCartney-esque, melodic and inventful, and those guys were incredible power pop songrwriters in the Cheap Trick vein. And very good rock singers, Paul and Gene, Gene to this day.

For those about to rock, I salute you.

"Rock and roll guitars!!" - April Wine

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Am I alone in Sweden( or indeed continental Europe) not to have yet received the box?
Tracking stopped 31 march, since when nothing, and the local post office( post nord) doesnt recognise either of the tracking numbers. Of course the Covid can have caused extra delay...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html