• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

Not the same, but your car story reminds me of when I parked my car on a housing estate to visit a friend - about 30 years ago. When I came out, the windows of the car had been broken, and the carrier bag I had left on the passenger seat had been stolen. After clearing up the glass, I drove to the police station to report what had happened. They told me it was my fault for leaving a bag unattended in the car. And no, they weren't going to investigate.

That was in a place called Rochdale. If you ever come to England, I suggest you avoid it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Reminds me of when wifey and I were newly in love, we were to cycle to the railway station to catch the train to Amsterdam...we were a bit worried about leaving the bikes since she didnt have a functioning cycle lock. So we borrowed a good lock and chain. When we arrived back later that evening, the bikes were safe and sound, but somebody had nicked the lock and chain.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Nowhere in 'Merica do they worry about car locking. Do you have to lock your motorcycle? What about a small MG type car with no top? Hell I don't lock my house! Neighbors say, "You Don't"? My reply is, so I can come home to a robbed house AND a broken window/door?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Funny stories and more than a thread of irony and truth in all of them. When I first got out of college and started working.. I bought my first new car (truck really).. I stripped down cheap thing, I think I paid $7,500 for it. ..but I got a hold of this really high end Alpine stereo and bought some good speakers, so for a cheap truck, it rocked. fast forward a few years and me and Ms. JimInMD bought a little townhouse together. One February morning I wake up to go to work and y window was smashed and my Alpine gone.

So I get a new one through insurance. ff to one cold morning the very next February, window smashed, alpine gone. So I get a new one that with a removable faceplate this time and religiously remove the faceplate. ff to the next February, windows smashed, stereo gone even though it had a removable faceplate. I gave up and didn't replace this one. ff to the very next February they broke into the same truck even though I had never replaced the stereo.. those fluckers still took the time to steal my Alpine speakers. So now I am convinced this was an organized ring with a schedule and circuit.

By now I've grown weary of driving to work in the middle of each February with a broken window sitting on a pile of glass.. so I buy a $29 Kracko am/fm stereo and get some free cheap speakers from somewhere and give up on high fidelity to and from work all together.

ff the next February, the same fluckers break the window anyway and find nothing to steal at all. Eventually I bought a new truck, sold my house and moved. Parted ways with Ms. JimInMD at some point too. Perhaps it was her (kidding).

I have grown to see the wisdom in what Dennis wrote. The best story so far is the one where they stole the chain. Honestly, I'd like to party with that type of criminal, ones with less ill-will, but a wicked sense of humor.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm wondering what my box set did between March 31st and April 23rd?
I do hope the package will get over the pond this time. I have a feeling it will but I'm not hundred percent sure.

This is how it has been travelin so far:

17.03.2020 - 22:04
United States
Shipment information received by UPS Mail Innovations

19.03.2020 - 17:20
FONTANA, CA, United States
Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations

19.03.2020 - 19:06
Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility

19.03.2020 - 20:00
Fontana, CA, United States
Package transferred to post office

20.03.2020 - 8:41
United States
Package processed by international carrier

31.03.2020 - 4:02
United States
Package departed international carrier facility

23.04.2020 - 23:58
United States
Package departed international carrier facility

24.04.2020 21:39
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES Arrived

25.04.2020 08:40
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
Departed

Your item departed a transfer airport in WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES on April 28, 2020 at 6:01 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by deadmike

The box has nowhere else to go. It has to get there. Sent you a PM.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I remember coming out of Winterland after a show and seeing lots and lots of cars with broken windows, that had been broken into. When we went up there in Oct. of 78,my brother just left his windows down in the car and we had no problem.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

old line about, they'd steal anything, even it was nail down...…. and the nails.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Are you saying it was you?

We knew it was you.. all along.. Glad we settled that. Onweird. :D

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....but I did catch the desert on fire when I was fourteen. Yeah. Its possible if you put your mind to it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Hey I'm glad !
Box + gatefoil printed poster have finally arrived in Paris, France ! What a pretty box !
But I don't understand why the package travel around the world 🤔

US -> Japan -> France

28/04/2020 - 8:26
France

En livraison

27/04/2020 - 14:59
France

Colis arrivé chez le transporteur international

24/04/2020 - 10:25
France

24/04/2020 - 10:25
France

Colis traité par le transporteur international

22/04/2020 - 15:04
France

Colis parti du site du transporteur international

21/04/2020 - 12:23
Japan

21/04/2020 - 11:25
Japan

25/03/2020 - 13:00
United States

23/03/2020 - 14:43
United States

21/03/2020 - 15:47
LOS ANGELES, CA, United States

Acceptation de l'envoi chez le transporteur international

20/03/2020 - 22:17
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, United States

20/03/2020 - 20:00
Fontana, CA, United States

Colis transféré au bureau de poste

20/03/2020 - 14:50

Le colis a été traité par UPS Mail Innovations sur son site d’origine

20/03/2020 - 14:04

Le colis a été reçu par UPS Mail Innovations et va être traité

Firebug here for sure. Set my brothers closet on fire at about 7-8. No major damage?! I remember we kept a small plastic cup in the bathroom and I ran downstairs to get. Coming out of bathroom with cup and mom still asleepish in bed, ask about the cup. And I was like just a small fire in Lewis' closet. Like a cartoon character, up jumps mom, "A SMALL FIRE IN LEWIS' ROOM". Great response time from volunteer fire company. Closet contents gone, mattress water logged, window busted, furniture drenched. Fireman became big man squeezing confession from 7 year old. "We found these in the closet" and holds up a book of brand A matches. I was like, "no, they were A&P matches, he's lying". Hoisted by my own petard.

Usually about once a year, we'd set the "weeds" on fire. "Weeds" for the younger among us, are what kids from Jersey call the plants the grow in the wetlands. They have fuzzy cattails, "punks" and grow about 7 feet tall. Burn like a bitch when ignited before getting green again!

So, no, you don't have to try too hard.

Oh, and just about every "fort" we made ended up burning!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

You wouldn't think that little angel to the left could burn his brother's closet, could you?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

We would take cattails when they were still brown, before they got fluffy, and soak them in gas then light and use them as torches.

Also would take Ohio Blue Tip matches and a squirt bottle of WD-40 to make a flame thrower.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

We did that also, we didn't add an accelerant and they didn't burn to long. We had a big storm drain that came out on the beach and we duck walk down it.

Probably why I love "The City Sleeps", by MC 900FT Jesus. Only song I know about an arsonist.

…. I light the fires while the city sleeps.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

We ventured into those too.
Then the city started welding a rebar cage over the opening to keep people out.

When you use cattails that haven’t yet bloomed they will hold gas for a while. We would leave a stem on them and throw them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

According to Post Nord my box has still not yet arrved in Sweden, left Brussels 29 april, no update since then.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dogon

...all boxes arrived in Germany?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by Dogon

Then the packages to Sweden has come longer than the ones to Norway (probably some EU-related stuff). Mine left (for the 4th time or so) "an international carrier", this time from NY, JFK on may 2nd.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

In reply to by Ckjellsen

I've been waiting and waiting, but the 76 box is not delivered to Finland either. How do you know anything concerning the route for the delivery? I thought no tracking number, no information.

You will find a long number on the right hand side on the email that says "order on the way" from dead.net.
Track that number on ups and you will get a status plus a different tracking number for usps or other. They have sent it via mail innovations for ups. That it basically a system where a lot distributors are makin som money moving the packages around until it is being handed over to a european public post.system and delivered the old-fashioned way.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 11 months

I haven‘t received mine in Switzerland, yet. On the UPS tracking site, it says that the package has left the transporter - since Apr-2! The message gets updated every few days, but does not change, last entry from Apr-26. Hope I‘ll get it soon.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Unbelievable Box. Band never lets me down. Through the keyhole on this one!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

As with other Swedish recipients (I guess) this is the last tracking result:

"Your item departed a transfer airport in BRUSSELS, BELGIUM on April 29, 2020 at 9:10 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

The Swedish Postal Service don't recognize the tracking number yet. Well, hopefully the package isn't all smashed up in the mail when it finally arrives ...

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

There use to be a rite in the fall at my college where you'd set off to travel the tunnels at Univ of MA in Amherst which were the drainage runoff. The tunnels led you to a room with a ladder that acended upwards - when you popped the manhole cover you wound up in a utility closet in the parking garage at the Campus Center complex.

Hadn't thought about those adventures in years...

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by deadmike

Hi
Box just arrived on first unlock day, in France, after a 55 quarentine. It is a beautiful box and I began by the end listening to Passaic. Thank you everybody at Deadnet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by sheik yerbones

glad to hear, very good, enjoy!
How about deliveries to Sweden and Germany, any progress?
Having a Weiherer Kellerbier right now. Beer is good, but weather is indecent, just a bit over freezing temperatures.
Cold and rain, but no snow (yet).
Looking forward for May 18.
Cheers G.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

No Gerd, nothing since 29 april when it was in Brussels. My tracking is identical to Deadmike. I am begining to lose hope.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

thanks, it worth waiting a bit. Everyone knows why it has been a long delivery...Very noticeable, I paid no customer tax. The art is OK, not so fine as GSTLight or May 77.The booklet is not so fragile as said in the first comments. After 2 shows I feel it 's a bit like May 77, nearly the same set list, one week (a bit more with Passaic) in the touring life of GD, good sound quality, consistant playing, and moments of grace shown in the listening party before shipping.
Hope everyone of you, in Sweeden, Finland and Germany hear the postman ring twice soon.

user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Relieved to report that another ‘76 box has at last been delivered to France and I’m eager to begin listening to it.

Well, some have mentioned that the booklet is spineless. Have we determined that this is how it was designed?

Peace and health.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Night Owl

Yes, intended design, it will be flat when open.

Glad your Boxes are showing up in Europe, now set your clocks for DaP 34.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My Dave's 34 seems to be in limbo. Last tracking info from UPS and USPS states:

Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on May 1, 2020 at 11:09 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

That was almost 2 weeks ago. Waiting for a plane?

user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Thank you, my friend. It’s as it’s meant to be.

Now on to enjoying the excellent playing.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

I am not even bothering to check tracking for Daves, nothing has happened on my 76 box since 29 april when it supposedly left Brussels. It has not even arrived in Sweden yet , Post Nord still unable to recognise the tracking...Micke will recognise that even when arrives in Sweden, it might take weeks before somebody gets round to presenting it for customs clearance, so not so much set your clocks as set your yearly alamanac!
perhaps for 2022?
Really ironic considering that Sweden is one of the few countries not to have closed down for this horrible virus.

I got an email this morning to say mine will be delivered tomorrow. Its in Milan at the moment. Sounds hopeful...but who knows?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

If your package spent any time in the vicinity of Milan, I would handle it with extreme caution. Full PPE recommended. But WTF is it doing there? Even at the best of times, Milan to your residence in England in one day would be an impressive achievement. Can but hope.

How is post sent to Scandinavia from Brussels? By road? Belgium has closed its land borders which could slow things down somewhat. If mail is sent by air, this is also experiencing delays as mail is often sent on passenger flights and there aren't too many of them right now.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

I was also going to rain on Daverocks parade when he said it was in Milan! But if he leaves it alone till we all have received ours, it should be safe to handle...
Neither I, nor Postnord customer service, can answer how post would move from Brussels to Sweden, nor what it was doing there in the first place. I suppose the virus meant that it was put on any avåilable plane to Europe....

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I am in the same boat as most here. UPS and USPS tell me it left Los Angeles on 1st May and then it all goes quiet. The Royal Mail tracking says that there is no tracking for this service when presented with the alternate delivery number. On the other hand #33 took around 12 days before I saw a VAT payment request so it is only a few days more than that so far and the world has changed a bit since February. Keep hoping and stay safe.

Edit:
I’ve had a couple of deliveries from amazon that came from Milan and then travelled overland through France to me and I’m not dead yet.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

You're making me nervous. I am actually quite cautious with post at the moment, but I will handle this one like a hot potato.
I think my Dave's must have been in Milan a day or so ago, as I've just checked again, and Milan is no longer mentioned. It was in Torino on 12/5 and is now in somewhere called Stanford Le Hope, which I have never heard of-but apparently its in the UK. It seems to be heading in my general direction.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Appears to be a small village between Grays and Basildon. Middle of nowhere. Weird place for anything to be. Fairly close to you.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html