• 7,817 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Great show Jim. Good first set, recording is good. Yes, love that Scarlet, Touch, Fire,Man Smart. Good Miracle Stella Blue, Sugar Mag finish and then wait, what, a Dark Star encore. Billy must have loved this one.

Think I might check out 7/6/84 from Alpine next.

• daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....sounds good. I'll do a back 2 back. Never listened to these shows.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Yeah me too, that’s been my focus here lately: hear shows I haven’t and/or might not have heard if not for y’all’s great suggestions. To boldly go where most deadheads have not gone, oh, wait, think that’s Star Trek lol, same thing I guess?
Anyway, glad your onboard, the more the merrier!
Now if only…hey Good Old GD! where the fug are ya!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Word has it he had taken the lead digging the tunnel under the vault. The dearth of 1968 and 1969 releases send him over the edge. I gave him my last pick and shovel months ago and have not heard from him since. He had this strange, determined look in his eyes.. I didn't give it much thought at the time, seems like an ominous sign in hindsight.

GOGD.. if you make it be careful. I believe Zuckfun made it to the other side only to be captured by Mark, Dave and their evil cronies. Goodspeed and good luck.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Really enjoyed this show, five dancing bears. Interesting first set, with the first Lost Sailor? (Don't hold me to that, going off the shows notes on the archive). Searching for it's partner, not there yet. Great second set, Passenger, FOD, with a nice Samson, Shakedown into Playing! Funky, different. Nice Stella Blue, Sugar Mag and close with US Blues.
Recording is really good, thanks OB.
I will move on to 8/5/79 tomorrow.
I am a little behind.

That is a rough road Vguy. Poor bastard. Buy that man a beer!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Do we want another pick, or do we need more time?
Really dug 8/4/79, 8/5 was good too, but not the sexy set list of 8/5?
Both had that laid back west coast vibe, in a good way, not a dig.

I need some good working music so I’m thinking:
8/13/79, 6/24/91, or 9/20/74?

If no one has a suggestion I’ll probably go with the 79 today?
I’ll wait a little bit first…

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Still working my way through 8/5/79 Oroborous, but more 79 always sounds good to me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

No rush, I’m just hitting as many shows as I can while my work situation allows.
You’ll like 8/13/79! Bet Hendrixfreak was at this one?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I enjoyed 8/4/79 and was looking forward to 8/5. Let's continue with another. I'm pretty sure I listened to the second set of 12/7/79 in Indianapolis two days ago on Today in Grateful Dead History driving around getting shit done..

Back to the Capitol 71, I finished 2/18 and 19. Doc had great notes on this earlier in the year. It was my second listen to both this year also. I wanted to reserve judgement, but I think I know what I am going to say after I hit WMD 50th - 2/21. I think 2/18 is an all-time classic show and an all-time classic Dark Star suite. I gotta give it to Healy though for picking 2/19 for Three From the Vault, and 2/21 is going to slide right up in there in the same category. I think the good Doctor wrote something in the same direction on their anniversaries. The cohesion and consistency of some of these later shows have me scratching my head more with each listen. So much new material and there must have been some trauma with Mickey leaving so suddenly after the 18th. I love the 18th but those next few nights are special and a great prelude of what was to come later in the year.

I am also happy with how they let these out, supplementing WMD and AM 50th with these classic shows. Bravo Dave. All I have to say is wow. Oh, and these stellar recordings help a lot.

For the sports fans out there, well that was an easy win or should I say Easy Wind for those Vikings....

Agree with you on the Post Chester Shows Jim, just so damn good.
Three From the Vault was always interesting to me that they had in the can in the early '90s but didn't get it released until 2007. Glad they got it out. Anymore of those out there?

8/5/79 was another good show. Matrix for this show. The recording is good, not as good as 8/4/79, but still good.
We get another Lost Sailor, Althea, It's All Over Now and what a second set. Scarlet Fire and Estimated Eyes. Enjoyable show.

Okay, on to 8/13/79!

No, just pushing fall '74 back a day.

I'm gonna sneak in a reboot of Dave's Picks 40. I am in the mood for a high volume rocker and I think that one fits that bill.

It's gonna be a good holiday season, I can tell..

I think some folks are playing ketchup, and I think we did it back aways, so check it out, good show, extra credit!

Not needing to work, and being a snow day I’m starting with 12/9/71 to keep up on the Doc train.
Might go to 12/10 later, with potential for the ole DHB today!

Man these 71 shows SOUND good! I mean there good shows, but sonically I really like these Louie 71s!

CHESTER 71, yep, good sheet mon. It’s funny I didn’t dig Vault III (2/19/ much when it came out, but along the way, especially after Docs been schooling us, I think this one is my fav of the run and in the top picks for the year. Now, 2/21 and 2/18 are right there, but something about 2/19, with that Smokestack giving it the edge! IMHO of course.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yeah I’m about in need of some palate cleanse so was just thinking I need to get to 40 again, hopefully this WE.
Lol, ok DV, we just piled on more for ya!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Funny.. that one caught my attention too. I love Jerry's tone on this run also. And the Dark Hallow. So good.

..but the 2/19 Smokestack is flawless. Probably my favorite version. I don't take notes when I listen, I'm just not that disciplined and usually listen while doing something which makes me a terrible critic. I do like what I like though.

As you were.. back to your previously scheduled Lazy Lightnin'>Supplication>Deal.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Maybe we should add this one this WE?
Bluecrow suggested a usborne matrix that he really liked?
Another I’ve not heard so I think I might slide this one in this WE?

So;
8/12/79
12/9&10/71
Daves 40, and
9/14/74
Hup, hup, better get to it

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, 79, 90 and 74. Did somebody say Desolation Row? I am in.

You guys are keeping us busy.

I think we should get the Dave's 42 announcement within the next two weeks. Maybe next week.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

yeah - get a move on you slackers!! (glances at mirror)

Yep I very def like that Usbourne for 9/14/74. while I only stumbled upon it earlier this year in that searching mode inspired by POTD, I think that show sure seems to have been overlooked given the Alexander Palace and Dijon/Paris shows on either side. Some very-solid-played '74 - very much, always, welcome. the audience tape brings some nice you-are-there-in-the-hall flavor that I, who likes to time travel every so often, enjoys.

those Summer '79 shows from Oakland are new to me & look fat. I saw that Shakedown 1st night and then that Olin Arageed(!!) night 2 and "both on the damn list!!"

After I realized I was able to conflate several Porchester '71 shows I went back to 2/18 (from Mama Tried on - those early versions always send me, that, and Bobby McGee.) I can't even "imagine" what might have happened being there (Strider?), dialed in, "all bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed," in the presence of that Dark Star > (the first ever) Wharf Rat(!!)> (DS) Beautiful Jam > Dark Star > Me and My Uncle. and 2/19. yep, totally rocking, not the night before, but still straight "short break, short break" delivering.

Smokestack - have an old somewhat obscure early Howling Wolf Chess double LP that was just to the brim with absolutely amazing music. one of those two-fers that had a huge influence on my listening in those days. might have to hook up the turntable (an old Techinics that has lost its laser calibration - need a new rig.) Not only does Pig bring real justice to Smokestack, but so does Bob. I think Bob brought a lot to his blues covers that strikes me as right there. Remember first hearing an audience of Riverbend '85 (30 Trips!) and (having been at Alpine immediately before that) thinking goddamn! bring it! for me just one of many cool parts of Eugene 8/21/93 was Schoolgirl into Smokestack. (Aside - Standing on the Moon from that show is all time greatest.) Yeah School Girl > Smokestack kicked ass. So yeah I think Bob bitd sang a great Little Red Rooster. And back to my list - 8/20/80, Uptown. Theatre, Chicago. Bob, beginning Set II, breaks out the first Rooster, yep, in Chicago, home to Chess records and all that, nails it, and the band immediately segues into a classic from-the-era China > Rider. my original source was an audience, I think balcony tape(?). crowd goes crazy. estimated > eyes. out of drums into playing > comes a time > playing. there is no good soundboard circulating right now. if in the vault it should def be released.

found myself with an unexpected somewhat free Friday. rain here and snow in the mountains last night! enjoy the weekend and stay safe friends. onward!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

You are right Oroborous, really digging this one. How about the Shakedown opener? My god, can't imagine being in the crowd for that start. Sound quality is really good so far.
I will continue to beat the drum for Dave to release some more 79-81. It is time. Shock us.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Streaming Nightfall of Diamonds on BlewTube. Great audio, great video. Technology is grand.

Tomorrow.. back to the program.

He SCORRRRRRREEEEESSSSSS!
Dats right ladies and germs, we got us one of those DHB HTs! Boo-yah.
Well, full disclosure, I’m only into 7/18/90 Terrapin, but unless there’s a power outage or something beyond our control, it’s happening! Lol
So hit the one two solar plex punch of 12/9&10/71 between rounds of shoveling. First day shoveling, winter came with a vengeance. Shoveled twice in one day, going to bed early tonight lol.

Yes 12/9 is short but it’s like their making up for being late with a sense of purpose and urgency that is sustained until the out of time end! Phew! Smoking!
Now 12/10 is a fine show, don’t get me wrong, but I’ve yet to feel the lightning that y’all do? Meaning, 71 is such a consistent freight train year that has only built up to these December shows, that 12/10 doesn’t stand out so much. That’s more a statement to how consistent and good most of these shows are more than anything singularly with 12/10, imho anyway. Meaning it’s yet another 71 hottie!
I’ll tell ya what, everyday I dig these awesome first set Black Pedro’s more and more! And these still forming Comes a Time etc. Yep Doc, ya did a good job recruiting lol.
I’m really looking forward to 12/15 and 12/31 as I’ve not heard those.

Yeah BC I hadn’t heard those 79s before (kinda my mo lately) but they looked kinda interesting and first Tiger show etc, so why the hell not eh!
Glad folks been digging the 79 and 80 shows. DVs right, WTF David, 79-81!
Pretty sure ole Hendrix freak was at the RR and Denver 79 shows, but I don’t think he hangs here? I’m sure he’d have some stories! Gonna get the 14th in soon too.
I’m confused, I have 8/19/80 on the list, and that’s what deadbase has for the first Rooster since 65 and that China-Ruder etc. guessing you just mixed em as you said 8/20, OR was that a Vulcan mind trick to get us to check out the whole run ; ) But yep, that’s on the list and we’ll slip that in soon.

Fall 74: another field that needs reaping! I’ve never heard most of these so going to try and fit those in going forward.
Going to try that usbourne matrix out mañana, prolly along with 7/19/90 to scratch that itch.
Of course Jimbo, you evil temptress has to mention Nightfall, one of my all time favorite official releases that doesn’t seem to get the love on deadnet?
Don’t think I knew there was bloobtoob, though it makes sense. Dammit, I don’t have time for that lol.
Well if a Dave ever releases the damn fall 89 multis, I’ll prolly try to hit the whole tour again only maybe I’ll go all toob?
What’d I miss?
Oh yeah, The Wolf. Yeah BC I’ve got a double CD of Moanin’ in the Moonlight and Howlin’ Wolf that I came to via tge dead of course, that I used to play the hell out of. Been a long time, guess I’m due!

Awright, digging the 60’ Bullfrog Garcia’s laying down in this 7/18/90 space. Good sheet Mon!
Ok, time for a smoke and a pancake!
Onward Amigos!
This space has been nice of late!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Don't overexert yourself, OB.. we are not spring chickens. I'm always a day late and a dollar short (shorts).. but a steady pace wins the race. I'm planning a revisit of the box incl. 12/9 and 12/10 as soon as I can get to it.. I did finish the first Deer Creek show. Man.. that Terrapin is strong, crank it up. Then a wonderful The Other One with some tasty Bobby histrionics and well-done Healy distortion into a mind pleasing Morning Dew and a nice take a load off encore of The Weight. I was really in the mood for high octane GD, the '90 Deer Creek shows are real good GD.

Nature brought springtime warm weather here in the mid-atlantic yesterday and if you don't mind 50 mph winds, it was a nice day so I hit the water and grabbed my dry top and red digital device and which started with a tantalizing version of Weather Report Suite. I never know what's on these devices, I seem to change things up in the Spring and with six in constant rotation it's a crapshoot what comes out the other end. Anyway.. after a few minutes it became apparent it was 9/8/73 Nassau, Dave's Picks 38. Man.. Jerry's playing during Let It Grow is absolutely flawless. Moments like this is why I listen to GD, there's not a better band in the land.

As you were.. time for some Sunday bluegrass.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yeah, I think I pulled a muscle listening lol.

Sounds like an awesome day Jim, I used to really love skiing with a Walkman on BITD (except when I rode nothing but bumps and the damn thing would click off all the time )
The music really seems to flow when your in motion, especially in fast or adrenaline like situations.

Hit 9/14/74 yesterday. Another fine 74 show. Need to hit this Europe run in full some time as I’ve only heard 8/18 Boxilla and the Dicks 7 cut ups. Always heard they were too coked up etc and these shows weren’t that great?
Sounds like an over generalization. This show has a couple misses, but overall is the quality you’d expect from 74.
There’s no big Playing, or jams per say, but they jam just fine within certain songs. Stand alone Eyes is great, can’t get enough of these 74 Eyes! Weather Report and most of other usual suspects, with a grand jam outta Truckin’ that I swear I heard Phil tease Slipknot briefly, but no takers?
The sound was great, most of the time. I almost gave up initially but then suddenly it splices with nice SB. There are several patches but even the Aud source seems to get better as she goes.
Another one of those off piste shows I might not have gotten to soon, good pick, thanks BC!

Today I’ll hopefully hit the second night of Deer Creek 90, but then I need a rest lol (and the other half wants more Xmass music).

I have to see what I’m doing this week, but I have a bunch of suggestions written down if no one has anything pressing they want to get at.
GO VIKS! I’m about to give up on Da Bills as I think their going down today and thus for the season, but we don’t watch until tonight so no spoilers!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

So already been there a little bit this morning on the deep nostalgia trail. 1st disc of Will The Circle Be Unbroken earlier and now Disc 2. Way back in the day, late jr high or freshman high school, ca. '73, older brother of a friend turned us on to that brilliant and seminal 3 lp collaborative masterpiece by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Before the Dead in my music schooling and in its way laying the foundation for that. My introduction to Doc Watson, Mother Maybelle Carter, Vassar Clements, Earl Scruggs, Jimmy Martin, Merle Travis, among others, Opry related name checks of Ernest Tubbs and Jimmy Dickens - "take an old cold tater and wait." and there began my love of the banjo and flat picking. incredible dialog between songs both with the Dirt Band and the old timers "pick the banjer solid john you've pick one for 15 years and between the old timers themselves - we memorized that stuff too. The first meeting of Doc Watson and Merle Travis is an astonishing listen. My god a bunch of long hairs getting Roy Acoff into the studio??!! So the Dead were already plowing this ground in their way, I wasn't quite there yet. But I think for a lot of us young uns in my approximate generation this was a seminal release. Many many years later I played this for my Old Man and he told me that this was the music of his child hood. Blue collar Indianapolis 1 generation out of Kentucky going back to soldiers on the Union side and earlier. He liked it so much I got him a copy and we would spin it from time to time. Anniversary of his passing a few days ago. There are songs on that album that will always be a part of my life in both happiness and grief.

So in between that I've sandwiched the Discs 1 and 2 of 11/11/73. Beautiful day here.
Take care. Be Kind. Be safe. Have fun!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Can't say enough good things about those 79 shows, except we need more. Really like those Deer Creek shows. Good to see the series reach 1990.
The 9/14/74 show, would love to see an official released recording

No spoiler alerts on the Bills.

How about 5/16/81, Barton Hall for tomorrow?
This was the 81 30 Trips show. I haven't listened to this show in maybe four years.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

DV makes the call: 5/16/81.
Ya might want to check out the next night also/instead?
Not sure if we’ve ever covered it here on POTD, though I know I’ve gone on about it before.
Totality biased but I think it’s a better show? Cue up an aud of the blistering Big RR blues and listen to how loud Garcia is!
Anyway, glad your liking the 79s, I have more on the list, along with 74, 80, 78. 73, and 91, plus there’s more goodies on that list of Dave’s that I’d like to check out…

Did get 7/19/90 in before the football fiasco. These shows sound really good considering the source. It’s encouraging that they can release later stuff and have it sound this good.
Glad the Viks won and beat the dreaded Steelers no less! Don’t even want to talk about the Bills fiasco.
Hell can’t really because Direct TV (meaning fucking ATandT) screwed us!
We have the over priced NFL package and always record the game to watch later, at a more convenient time (hey, have to have time for POTD ) AND so we don’t waste half the day watching commercials etc.
So when the game started to record, it switched from the NFL station it was scheduled on, which schedules an adequate four hour block of time, to a local CBS station, which didn’t include enough time for the whole game, let alone overtime. So we missed the last five minutes plus OT, BS!
Not cool Kyle!
So not sure WTF happened or how we blew it this time, but they’ll have to sweep the last four in order to have a chance, sigh…sports, what a bummer, thank goodness for the Dead, they always make ya feel like a winner!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That is a bummer about the Bills and Direct TV
OB. I actually caught the first half of the game and didn't see what happened until I got home later last night. I was shocked to see the game went to OT. Hey, at least they gave them a game.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

How about 8/14/79?
I’m going with a Rob Eaton aud/Miller transfer.

Dug 5/16/81. It’s better than I remember, nice lil shakedown.
Perhaps not an 81 scorcher, which is why I felt this was another “he went to the right street but picked the wrong house” situation, but it is a solid show none the less.
Haven’t heard that one in a while, good call DV!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Never liked the Patriots, always respected Brady but rarely rooted for them. In hindsight though.. barring some unforeseen football wizard that just shed his diapers, he is going to go down as the goat, a statement that will likely last the rest of our lives. ..am I still invited to the party? I promise not to show up with a six pack of bud light.

As for pick of the day, I'm in OB. Besides the shows of late I am officially giving up on (alas, duty called).. I scratched off what I committed to. I really enjoyed the revisit of DaP40 and I really enjoyed the latest picks I did catch. So another '79 it is..

To quote someone who would know, "This is more fun than a frog in a glass of milk."

Yes, let's finish the CO stop, sounds good.

I also like the 5/16/81 show. I think maybe it was picked because it was the last time they played at Barton Hall?

Anyway, if you have it, check it out at some point. Great first set, good 81 variety with Feel Like a Stranger, Passenger, CC Rider, High Time. Big second set with a good Shakedown, I agree OB, Lost Sailor, SOC, we even get a Spanish Jam eventually going in to Truckin! Nice finish, kind of a bummer the last few songs are from an audience source, but it is still enjoyable.

By the way, has anybody seen the prices of these 30 Trips shows recently? Good grief!

Started the day with 12/14/71, which appears to be one of Doc's favorites.

Back to 79.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I also like this show. The recording is a bit tinny and thin, typical of spring 80. I do like the show a lot however. I remember comparing this to Dave's Picks 8, 11/20/80 when it came out and playing the Miller SBD of this show thinking to myself.. wow.. if they would take the time and patience to remaster a matrix on this show it would go up a few lightning bolts.

Still, a good show and worthy of release.

Onward

Edit: Did not mean to take any wind from the Penn State/Cornell Road Trips.. I really like these shows. The recordings are what they are and I dip into this era often. Put this in the wish list category.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I listened to 10-12-68 for the first time this past weekend, and was very satisfied. I saw your wayback machine tonight and decided to do set 2 tonight.

Now I’m on 9-30-89, which is Vguy’s post-concussion syndrome show.

For all the heavy metal music Vguy listened to in the 80’s, little did he know that he would be banging his head at a Dead show…..

My attempt at humor.

I’ll show myself out…..

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

That's a pretty short show, it's been a while since I hit that one. Have we done it on this thread yet? My short-term memory seems to have some holes.. Plus we are in need of a new pic.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I can't remember either Jim. I know we have done a few 68s. Either way, let's do it.

I will poke around for some new post coma shows. It has been a while.

Excited about #42, I mean, another Winterland 74 show. What is not to like. I know we listened to this show not too long ago, so it will be great to listen to a Norman version.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....got the year right Conekid, but wrong show. It was Irvine '89. (Don't do nitrous while standing up kids! Especially on pavement!) Anyways, I was at that 9.30.89 Shoreline show and I'm going to listen to it today. If time, I'll follow up with 10.12.68.

10/12/68, I know I’ve never heard that one? I’ll hit that right after I give 12/15/71 it’s virginal listen.
Been really looking forward to this one: Dark Star duh!, AND a Cryptical, AND it’s got a big ole heaping helping of Grease!, AND!!!! It’s got a Cumberland! All it needs is a PEGGY O ; )

So big day for me. Yesterday I almost got a DHB. I call technicalities on myself: rode the 12/14/71 Dave’s 26 freight train first, then RT 2.1 from fall 90 that I never heard as I just got it from real gone. WOW, WOW, WOW, What a Dark Star! Yaaaasss I know JGs signing isn’t as good as 1970 whatever blah, blah, blah, but so what, it was one of the best/trippiest modern DS I’ve had the pleasure to meet: 5 red sweethearts outta 5!
I know most don’t like chop jobs, but to me if your going to do that, this is the way. If you put this on and didn’t look things up you’d think it was just one monster second set! Wow, still blown away by this one, look forward to many spins, especially if your looking for something that’s not 3 hours long. Now I’m only missing RT 1.3 and unfortunately several bonus discs. Down to 4 Dicks, 2 I have copies, 2 I’ve never heard, come on Real Gone, singing, thank you, for a real good time!
Received Dicks 15 also. Have had a copy so I’ve heard this one a bunch, so just buying it for the collection.

Then, after the big news yesterday, I hit most of 2/24/74 DaP 13, one of my favs. Good Sheet Mon!
It’s like a 73/74 hybrid! Top shelf, where Mama hides the cookies!

So I did all 12/14/71, 2/24/74, but technically not a “complete” third show, though 2.1 is 2 full discs, I guess technically the Olympic POTD judges would not consider a “real” DHD? Such problems lol.

So today 12/15/71 as we continue on Docs 71 Grateful Express, followed by some Jimmy fried 68, and then?
ONWARD!

EDIT: ooopps, aaaa, huh, huh, huuuh, hey Beavis, there’s no Cryptical? No problemo, still a top shelve 71.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey guys.. I honestly think if we push Oroborous a little harder.. say three 73 shows a day or create a new, four show a day minimum, I'm pretty sure he will crack.

Just an idea.

Edit: Dibs on his highfi.
Edit2: Anyone know how do you delete posts?

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

What a day, nice work Oroborous!

Yes, love Dave's #13. One of my favorites. As always with the Dead, it is so interesting at least to me how much different they sounded in February 74 to June 74.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Looking at 10/3/87 at Shoreline for today?

Let me know.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

If I didn’t ever have to work I could probably get 4 in at least three four days a week. But only if I skip most of the me and my uncles…hey, everyone’s got their limits ; )

10/387 MR DV says. Might be able to get that in, weird work day ahead?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - don't pass by the one on Daves Picks 11 - 11/17/72 - if that ever crops up on here. Lightning fast country picking by Jerry - knocks most other versions out of the park.

Besides Bob playing it more than any other song (sans drums), I played it in a band every night, sometimes more than once, say 3-6 times a week, for like 5 years. Same with Folsom Prison, used to love it, but too much is too much!
Really though, any song, can still resonate under the right situation. Unfortunately, some of these old chestnuts, the situation happens few and far between ; )

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I think we all can relate to that. I try to keep my comments on them to myself, but they slip out from time to time. I agree with DaveRock though, even the songs that aren't near and dear to us can smoke on any given night. Now where we? Lotta poor man make a five dollar bill..

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I was at this show; I don't remember a whole lot about it. I do remember the opener and also the Maggie's Farm into Cumberland. My favorite 1987 Dead show, was the one they played with Dylan in July, the Dead played great and seeing Garcia play pedal steel put it over the top. My favorite 1987 shows were the Jerry Garcia Acoustic and electric shows with David Nelson and Sandy Rothman. The electric on the Eel River and the Warfield shows in Noverber were as good as it gets.