• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have listened to a bit of "without a net" and "nightfall of diamonds" but I'll try to pick them up. A lot of people are surprised that I "get it", Im just happy that you've all welcomed me in despite the age disparity. I feel privileged that I'm able to "get it" and be able to experience this community and this great music. I wrote a narrative essay and definition essay for English 101 on being a deadhead and the term "deadhead" a few weeks ago, I'm glad to be able to share it with others and try to help others have, or at least share with them the fulfilling experience I have had. Thanks again!
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Tony: I just want what's coming to me.Manny: What's coming to you, man? Tony: The world, chico, and everything in it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Chase - we're on the same boat, i was born in Thailand a couple of days before the 'warlock' shows in Hampton and finally got the bug in 2015. I welcome any release and so thankful for them (though i'd love a few more '79-'85!). Go see Dark Star Orchestra if you can and don't forget to say a word of thanks to Rob Eaton! or even better Dead & Company!!!
user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Haven't checked in for a long while, and immediately had the Talking Heads playing in my mind, "Same as it ever was." lol Hope there has been some fun and nice chatter between the inevitable Decade Wars! FWIW, I am a wee bit disappointed, as much as the '70s are VERY well represented in official releases, that a two show box of RFK is for sale and it isn't the June '73 shows with ABB. Oh well. Wouldn't be surprised if that has a lot to do with getting premission, and sharing profits.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

...you need to call the bank! Thanks Guss.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

This is for the folks that have pre-ordered - what is the total cost including tax and shipping? Thanks...
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Maybe you are right. I'm thankful to have as much Grateful Dead as I do. I remember the old days when we got like 1 show a year released on CD. It just seems (to me anyways) that lately it's been A LOT of 70's. In the big picture it probably does balance out. Thanks for the "warning" about Dave. It made me laugh, but then I thought how messed up it would be to come home one day and find 5/7/77 or 3/16/90 missing from my laptop. I would be DEVASTATED!!! Nowadays, we all must remember...big brother very well could be watching. Peace out dogg!!!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

That’s great that you dragged your step dad along. Now drag him to a D&C show, or better yet, go without parental supervision if you can (don’t blame me if you get in trouble). It’s great that you caught the virus......there’s no going back. My advice is learn to do torrents and collect everything, starting with anything that has the name Charlie Miller associated with it.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Comments don't get any more "deader than thou" than what you wrote Spacebrother. Let me refresh your memory. You wrote: "If so-called fans listen to that Let It Grow from the Listening Party, and still pass on this, they might as well quit listening to the Dead all together and sell or trade their collections for Kid Rock albums. That's about as lame as they are." Your words here convey the very attitude you condemned as "deader than thou". You are saying here that in order to be a real fan and not a "so called" fan, one must purchase this 1989 cd set. You go on to say we may as well stop listening to all Dead if we're not going to get this '89 set. Sounds "deader than thou" to me. You're saying here that we're not worthy enough to listen to any Grateful Dead music whatsoever simply because we don't want to buy this '89 set. And then in your conclusion, you call us all lame. Your comments that I kindy copy and pasted verbatim are about as Trumpian as can be. You even sound like him. Oh the irony. You owe us all an apology. You owe the non buyers of the '89 RFK set an apology for your deader than thou comments, and you owe the entire room an apology for your incendiary remarks that have disturbed the peace (again). And I think it goes without saying you owe all the Kid Rock fans an apology.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I love hearing about younger people "getting It". Be warned though, once you get It, it will be part of your life forever. (Unless you go deaf, God forbid)........edit. Kid Rock. I've heard a lot worse. I even listen to Eminem at times. Sacrilege?....
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I like the way you think.. As for going deaf, they make amplifiers that go to 11 for just such an emergency. Speaking of going deaf.. back to that Other One from Berkeley. Ooops.. wrong thread..
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....that means you were born in 2001ish. That's when my son was born. Now I feel old. It's just a number, it's just a number, it's just a number....I like the number 3. Shit. Every Dave's is a 3 disc release. Coincidence? Where's my tin foil hat....
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

My recommendation is almost all releases are great. Don't be fooled that the more expensive releases on the aftermarket markets are significantly better, just more difficult to acquire due to their limited numbers. In fact, some of the general releases are usually better music quality (multitrack). If you ask 100 deadheads for what release to buy you will get 100 answers and they're all right!!! Basically this video clip explains the disease you just acquired:
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....it cannot be established enough. The world needs to know!!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Not true. I can quit anytime. We need a new release. Where's Norman? We are due for another summer '85. Or an 88 Greek, sweet sounding boards. Jeffrey? Any spring or fall 71 would do. Just a little '83 Santa Fe Mini Box would carry me through. 68 would put me over the top. David?? Bruce 91 anyone? Seriously, I can quit anytime. I don't even miss it. (that much). Sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat because I can't remember where my old cassettes are. When I come to, I realize my cassette deck has not worked in ten years. Perhaps it's just a phase I am going through.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Fever roll up to a hundred and fiveRoll on up Gonna roll back down One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow And a boxed set in the mail
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

I've loved bands before. I've had periods of time where all I listen to is one specific band and they soon fall out of interest. I thought at first the Grateful Dead would be the same, but I was wrong. It grabbed me by the ears and pulled my life down(or rather, up), with it. I was reintroduced(when I was 2 my mom played a documentary on the dead on tv and when it was over apparently I said "I want to hear more of the beautiful music"), to the Dead in 2015 after a visit to my Uncle who was recording the Fare Thee Well shows. After leaving, I immediately started listening. I started with the studio stuff and loved it. At first, I mistakenly thought, from what I had heard, that they sucked at playing live and couldn't play outside the studio. But, as I read more and more online, I saw how much people put the emphasis on the live shows. I wanted to understand, so, I basically "made" myself listen. Entire shows from start to finish. My entire perspective was soon turned upside down. I've been stuck ever since. I may go for periods of time when I don't listen to the Dead at all, and I think "maybe this is it, maybe it's over", but then I find myself listening to 35 minute Dark Stars again and unconsciously tap my feet. I think the Grateful Dead are in my life to stay, and I don't think going deaf will be able to change anything.I only wish there were more deadheads my age, it tends to set me apart from those I'd try to be friends with, and that gets a little hard to overcome at times. I feel it's almost a blessing and a curse.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

ah.. never mind.. Bring on the hard stuff.. an April 69 Ark box? If this ships soon, I guess I can last for a few weeks.. but a two show box will not hold me over for very long. I do get what you are saying Chase.. as much as people complain about this era or those recordings.. there is no band in the land with the amount of music available as we have here. ..and each show is different. And then there are the recordings.. back to 68. It's impossible not to get lost in the archive. We all need more shows.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Kid Rock has been taking a lot of shit here, and he should. He's no dummy. There's a lot of clever stuff on his records. I've seen him live. He boogies... good band. When they went into the chorus of the immortal Grand Funk tune and sang, "We're an American band... we're coming to your town, we'll pull your panties down, we're an American band!" I thought, shit, this IS rock and roll. It didn't last long for me, though. His first was the best. Since, he's been hanging out with Hank, Jr. and pandering to a real Southern racist Trump voter audience, dumbing everything down, hanging a Confederate flag as a backdrop behind his Airstream trailer at his live shows and just generally being kind of a prick... He's got some cool in him, but so does Ted Nugent. That's it! Bobby Ritchie (that's his name) and the Nuge should get together. They could call it "Ted Rock," or "Kid Nugent" and tour Texas nonstop. In fact, they should both move to Texxas permanently, stay there forever, and shut the fuck up.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Don't send them to Texas, we are already over our allotted number of assholes here.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

My brother always preferred the studio albums to the live concerts-particularly "Working Mans Dead", "American Beauty", and "Wake of the Flood". He just never saw them in the same light that people who are really into them see them through. I didn't at first. I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing any Deadheads-I have been into them since 1976, and I have only ever known one other person who was what you could call a "Deadhead". Never bothered me-if you find something that speaks to you, Id stay with it...doesn't matter what everyone else is into. Although it would have been nice if my ex had liked them a little more!
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Bickering and passive aggressive political comments. Goodbye.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

....and the Lightning, and the Penguins, and the Senators, and......every team in the Eastern Conference, wait, make that the whole NHL, except the Red Wings. Let’s go Red Wings!!! :) :) :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Just got a shipping confirmation, but it was for DaP 24 which arrived a week ago........Lolololol
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Just got the same thing, I was really hoping it was a super early shipping notice for the RFK box... No dice jim rice!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Same here. Maybe somebody hit the wrong button.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Love Austin, TX been there several times. Best line ever, from a cabbie, he says, "the only thing wrong with Austin is it's surrounded by Texas!"
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I done filled it in! I guess it has some value to someone, somewhere. They took the trouble to set it up, so I took the trouble to give them some data.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

but I think you really have to count Bruce to make it a dozen. Technically, Dana Morgan Jr (Warlocks only) should count as well for a baker's dozen. Hunter & Barlow should be considered as well. I like to think of it as 15 members. A fine fifteen.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

I hope it's UPS and UPS My Choice lets me know its on the way. Let's get Dr Rhino to do the unboxing. Wow me Rhino. Is there anyone home at Rhino headquarters, like Jim Morrison said "WAKE UP"
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....all this talk of Dave's Damn Picks made me forget there's a couple of '89 shows heading our way. Seeing as how '89 was the year I saw them the most (11?), let's get that banner flying high! Like kayakguy said, "wow me Rhino!"....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

As far as I am aware, I have the same number of holes as most other guys I’m luckily not yet lame (but my back gives me trouble sometimes) I have a lovingly compiled GD collection with some deliberate gaps in the 80s and 90s department I feel I am just too old to start over with this Kid Rock character (whoever he is). But the Grateful Dead changed my life in 1972 and that seems to have worked out for me so far Can I have a pass please.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Weird.. isn't it. It seems they could have tried a bit more to wow us. I enjoy Dave's seaside distractions, updated listening parties and the listening specials they sometimes do on SiriusXM. I also like the occasional Dr. Rhino's box unveilings and whatever hype on the product, restoration and mastering process they can give. This box and the July 78 box seem to have gotten the oh, whatever.. go team try. I thought the recordings for both this and July 78 were spectacular.. I thought the box layout and concept for July 78 was great and I have no idea what this one will look and feel like.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Whoops.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Can't wait, but I agree with Jim - why is this not being promoted as the date approaches? Unwrapping video, Facebook/email promotions....
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just got the new Dylan Bootleg Series (deluxe edition). The packaging was very nice, the cds were held in firmly but removable without fear of breakage of cd or holder. Both books were nicely bound with very nice covers. Even the box has a nice feel to it. I'm still ripping and labeling all the cuts, but very nice. The intro piece written by Penn Gillette was very nice. Glad I got the box.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Shipping notice received!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

My fingers are crossed that this is being shipped via UPS and not the usual UPS -> USPS process.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

USPS or UPS? just wondering... while refreshing my inbox
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Since I get my notifications a week after the item arrives, I am hoping for UPS also because with UPS My Choice, I would be notified when the package is a couple of days out.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html