• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I am not a nationalist-I'm not even an American-but I will say this. I have bought many Fender Telecasters over the last 20 years or so. The main countries of production are Mexico, Japan and America. Of these, the American ones are easily the best. This is not a slur on Mexico or Japan. The factories in those countries use inferior electronics, which cuts the cost of making them, and reduces the price for those who want to buy one. They are great budget instruments. But that's it-they are intentionally budget instruments. Occasionally you will find one that outplays an American one. But if you are going for a consistently better instrument you are better off going for an American one-it is the real thing. I am not sure if this is relevant or not.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I find the Mexican Fender necks are just as good as Americans. You can buy a Mexican Fender and upgrade the pickups, and you'd get a nice guitar for a decent price. Actually, instead of buying Fender US pickups, you'd be better off with boutique pickups like Lollar or Seymour Duncan. Early 80's Japanese Fenders are great; not so much the made in Indonesia or Korea, but again that's by design. Btw, 70s US Fenders were not that great...they couldn't even get the correct body shape for Teles!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

You're like the white guy who wonders why he can't say nigger because those people say it. Or like a certain leader of the free world who says Mexico sends us their rapist and murderers. Or even a clown who calls himself a deadhead then calls Mexico the laughing stock and doesn't get that puts him in the biggot category. As for buying American or going without hope you live in a warm climate because....dude you're naked. Maybe you know the old saying "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it's a duck. Once again try knowing some people that don't look or sound like you it's fun. Well maybe not for you
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I've noticed that the in-fighting increases as the release date gets closer and then when the product arrives the conversation gets back to the music. Just an observation. Please resume the bickering.If someone receives this release today can you post pictures please?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

He may be squatty and yellow, BUT HE SURE CAN FIGHT.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yes, there have been some dubious American teles over the years. I wasn't to keen on the ones with contoured backs, like a strat, that came out a year or so ago. And as you say, the 1970s ones have a very poor reputation. I agree, that the necks on a lot of Japanese and Mexican guitars are great, too. I have been told that what lets a lot of Japanese and Mexican fenders down is not the pickups or wood so much as the electronics inside the guitar-the capacitors, for example-although I am not exactly sure what they are, to be honest. I've got a Japanese paisley tele that is great, and I haven't modified it at all.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

You're right about the electronics; by the way the best Strat I ever had was a not a Fender, but a Vinetto, made by Vince Cunetto who actually worked for Fender CS in the 90's. Not sure if he's still building but if you're ever looking for a Strat or a Tele with a vintage sound and feel, these are worth looking for.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I remember the old beer ad for Special Export, "You can travel the world over, and never find a better beer." "Heileman's Special Export." Yeah, imported alright - from Milwaukee. Back to music, the finest Fenders are made in the Corona, CA factory. I got a beautiful American Standard Strat. I also have Japanese, Indonesian, Mexican, and Chinese Fenders. Some of those are marketed as Squiers, of course. They're all decent. The American one, costing at least three times as much, plays and feels like it. From the polish on the frets to the sanding job on the neck, the fit of the heel into the body joint, the nut, the electronics, the finish... you can just tell you're holding a superior instrument vs. the foreign made ones. That is strictly however because Fender farms out it's mid-tier and lower end lines to give the buyer more value for their buck. I have some Ibanez and Paul Reed Smith guitars that were manufactured in China, Korea, and the build quality is excellent. Just fantastic sounding, beautifully made electrics for well under $1,000. Couldn't be happier. Gibson is the same. While all Gibsons are made in the USA, the lower ones are way more sloppily assembled out of cheaper parts than their higher end models. It just is what it is. You get what you pay for. The Japanese have been making beautiful instruments for decades now. The important thing is just to tune up, hold a guitar in your hands and bond with the thing. Play, and play often. I have a Gibson 1960s tribute goldtop darkback with P-90s on my lap as I type this. Guitars are like cigarettes, or a blanky. As long as I have one in my hands, everything is right with the world. Almost.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Looking forward to this.I need a delivery for December. How about a stealth release? Announce a show on sale and it ships that day.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....can't say I disagree with him. Ok Rhino/GDP. Set up a system where I can put a certain amount of money a year into an account, then send out releases with no notice or info. Just feed my mailbox randomly. Those are my kind of surprises....
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I could deal with that. It would be easier on the psyche and wallet than getting 30 shows in the same day.. ...then again, new release trolling would happen once every four weeks. argh.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

It looks we are getting a scarlet fire.. Man.. you really have to crank this up to get it to sound good. Bob is prominent in the mix.. but I really do miss his Gibson days.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

Man If I knew this was getting released on iTunes for $24.99 I wouldn't have shelled out 65$ for the exact same release. Thought this was a limited release of 15000. Instead of listening to it right now for a fraction of the cost I'm stuck waiting for it to arrive in the mail.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Really?
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I was harsh about the tempos at the Fare Thee Well shows. And, IMO I was right, still - that bunch never really caught fire. Little rehearsal, I know, and hell, if it wasn't for that we might not have the & Co. out there right now. Point being, I watched the show tonight. Whenever I've seen the Co. live, I've been blown away, but it's been in Boulder all four times and my mood was elevated. From a distance, the Dead & Co. lack a certain punchiness, an urgency... to finish the song and duck back behind the drum riser for a line? Ha ha, yeah, but you know what? The Dead were all about doing fucking blow constantly including during shows, and this bunch is comparatively sober. I mean, no one's sneaking off and horking a big, fat gagger during someone's solo or shit break. So - it might do well for this band to click into a slightly more uptempo groove now and again. John's leads tonight just kind of seemed to go on and on without any real passionate clicking with the rest of the group. Like, the icing was fine, but where was the cake? I love this, will pay to see and hear it, want it to go forever, but I wouldn't mind a half-beat faster band groove overall. Bill? \m/
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

really. open iTunes if you don't see it in new music just do a search for " r.f.k. stadium" not sure if I'm paying the extra 40$ for the extra wait for its arrival, getting it in an outdated format (cd) or to be assigned a random number between 1 and 15000 lol. I was planning on buying july 1978 but maybe i'll wait.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

It's there. Sneaky.. doesn't come up under Grateful Dead.. doesn't come up under R.F.K. Does come up when you type R.F.K. Stadium. Sneaky.. But only mp3 (I think). I listened to the SiriusXM promo a month or so ago.. as good as it sounded then - on the compressed satellite signal.. I want it lossless. Compressed just won't do. Too much trouble went into the recording and the mastering process. Still weird.. what's their strategy, Lossless or CD - dead.net, MP3, ITunes? Amazon doesn't even have this listed. Weird and sneaky.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

HDtracks has all formats.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

No. i-Tunes release is mp3 for $25. Your cd's are lossless 16/44.1. I'll take lossless every time. I ordered the box and will get the 192/24 download as well. Fuck mp3 forever.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 4 months

Well, it also happens to be available for basically half off in lossless format at 7digital: https://us.7digital.com/artist/grateful-dead/release/rfk-stadium-washin… Not sure I'd go that route because I like having the physical product. And I'm fan of Justin Helton's work. But it's still slightly annoying to see when I paid double that (with shipping & tax).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

Cornell 5/8/77 3cd's for 29.99 Cornell apple lossless 19.99 Cornell flac 24.99 iTunes has cornell listed for 24.99 My problem is the massive price dip for this release only. Why isn't cornell on iTunes for 8 bucks??? less than half the cost on here? The price is my issue.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 7 months

I am really stoked for this show; I find that my listening habits and desires are dictated by location. The majority of my 80s/90s listening happens in the car; rocking out to some 87 energy, or the absolute massive blockbuster of 10/1/94. The car is where that all comes alive. At home, when I'm cooking or playing with my cats, the 70s mellow groove comes out. Get in the zone, and the cats like to get spacey too. I'm in my comfort zone, surrounded by my loved ones, and 70s Dead fits the mood (or rather, they help to make/enhance the mood). Friday nights, I'm leaving school and feeling good. I might have a bunch of papers to grade and a parent who was on my case about their failing kid, but that can wait until Monday. I'm in the mood to get completely bent, and so I reach for the 60s. Some raging psychedelic Dead, primal and raw. Give me Winter 68 and FW69 so I can blast out of this dimension. Bottom line, I'm so thankful for the evolution and dynamicism of the Dead. No other band can make me rage out one minute (9/6/80) or simply ride the mellow wave (73). I cannot wait to get this release today, and all the other releases that I'm fortunate enough to be around to receive. Happy Friday, Deadland! JT
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

AIFF 192/24 is uncompressed lossless. CD’s are 16/44.1 Does 192/24 sound significantly better than 16/44.1? For an extra $5 you get the physical box and whatever booklet comes with it, and the CD’s which have of late become of questionable quality. I’ve said many times before that I want the physical CD, but my CD-R burner has a lower failure rate than Rhino’s CD factory. Lossless 16/44.1 FLAC for $33.99 is a good price for anyone who doesn’t want the physical box. Funny thing is, the songs are still broken up into discs.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Let’s get this work day out of the way so we can come home to a UPS delivery of the RFK Box
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....is up and running on Spotify already.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Got the set a couple minutes ago, looks great! The shows are in two separate housings, much like the daves picks/ Red Rocks '78 standalone construction (no slip cases!) The booklet, while i havent read the whole thing yet, looks like its got some cool info in it. Burning the discs now, hoping its all just exactly perfect.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Is it like the Fillmore 69 box with digipaks like Dave's or is it like Road Trips covers? Will the box fit on a CD shelf?
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

...it wasn't me.... But maybe shoulda been. Out for delivery here as well....schwing! Sixtus
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Its def not like the road trips sets, its more like the Fillmore box with digipacks. It'll fit very nicely on a cd shelf
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

Wasn't there a digital download option for this when it was first announced? Is HDtracks the only place to get the 192/24 version? If so, I assume HDtracks does not include pauses between tracks so the tracks flow seamlessly from one to the next with no pause in between? Thanks!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years

What's the deal with this sour news? From HDTracks site: THIS PRODUCT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE DUE TO A REQUEST FROM THE LABEL TO REMOVE IT FROM OUR SERVICE. Bad files, wrong price? Always something ;-)
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Maybe because there's ~4999 physical product left? Mine's out for delivery.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

Got notified that due to "late trailer arrival", my delivery has been rescheduled.... I hope Saturday, not sure if UPS is taking Veteran's Day proper off.... oh well, no need to sit around and wait for it now.... DRAT!
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

#3056 has arrived in Rockville, MD. It's a nice looking box. My scanner is busted. Would anyone mind sharing some scans of the individual CD cases?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Spot on. Sitting on a bunch of unwanted boxes. Nyah nyah. You can't have the downloads until you buy all the boxes first. Sour fucking grapes.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Got my box set. WOW! Very nice indeed. The liner notes book is a fun read and full of great color photos from the show. Would have been appropriate to put Lincoln on the cover of the show on the 12th perhaps...not that it is his birth month, but day...and relegate George to the 13th.(not a complaint..just an observation) And the mix? Like BUTTAH! In a year or two this set will sell for twice the MSRP. Thanks be to Dave for another great 80s release.
user picture

Member for

7 years

#00651 has landed!! The packaging looks amazing, can't wait to give it a spin later on tonight. Many thanks to David L. and the gang!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Disappointed the hi res downloads have been pulled. Was about to buy from Qobuz
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

TWO CHARACTERS SAY IT ALL SO FAR: B3
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html