• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

17 years

I'm ready for this. its been too long since we had an Brent release. and it looks like I'm not the only who thought "holy shit who is this Michael McDonald wanna be? lol" when I first heard Brent. he had to grow on me.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I have to say that having bought both Spring 90s boxes, I was inclined to pass this one over. But the sound quality and playing on the listening party tracks and now the Almanac samples has convinced me to get this. I never got The Warlocks box set (I'd heard on cassette), and was never that bothered by DVD releases (tend to watch once and then never again). So felt a bit of 89 was required. I particularly like the fact that there ain't that much midi etc in the mix in 1989 -- that clearly became more prevalent in 1990?
user picture

Member for

17 years

"Touch of Grey" is a song that was performed often. This version may be the best officially released example of this track. Rockin'. "Cold rain and Snow" is pretty darn nice too. A lot of people here seem to be shrugging this one off. I believe this one will be an instant classic once it's released and everybody who ordered starts raving about how great of quality the recordings and performances are.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

5-7 years ago, when I was vacuuming up any available official releases for my nascent collection, purchase of these shows from a strong, late season year like '89 would've been a no-brainer. My abstinence now is a function of comparative worth and opportunity cost. First, let me say that I've listened to the Keo and Tobin AUD transfers of both shows in this box - so I'm addressing substantive artistic merits herein, rather than sound quality, which will obviously be much better with the RFK set. If your spending is limited and you'd like to acquire a few performances from 1989, I'd strongly recommend you consider purchasing a quality used Warlocks box. A quick search on ebay revealed a highly rated, high volume seller offering it with a VG rating for $100. In defense of my subjective preference, I'd offer that both Warlox performances - 10/8&9 - regularly appear on reputable 'best show' lists for the year (e.g., "The Deadhead's Taping Compendium" (vol.3) and Blair Jackson's "Goin' Down the Road"). Additionally/Alternatively, the Download Series receives little approbation for the relative strength and magnificent era-diversity of its 13 shows. I'm all about physical product, but when stuff this good is digital exclusive, then I'll readily bend. The 1989 edition - volume 9 - is a great example, and comprises 2 terrific shows from Pittsburgh earlier that year, 4/2&3, that may be a notch or two below the Warlox material (a long awaited Dark Star revival wins every time!) but still stronger than RFK IMO. You can purchase DS9 at nugs.net ($10 MP3/$29 Lossless). Second: opportunity cost. For my tastes, October-November 2017 is proving a cornucopia of must-buy new releases: Dylan Bootleg Series vol.13; Sabbath, The End; Smiths, Queen is Dead box set; Husker Du, Savage Young Du; Greta Van Fleet, From the Fires; REM, AFTP box set; Yardbirds68; and Maiden BOS Live. Anyway, you really should own some - or, perhaps, more - '89 Dead, but if you can't have it all, give some thought as to how you can maximize quality and quantity with your purchasing dollar./K
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

i thought Michael McDonna was a funny nickname for mr mydland when i first heard him
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I tend to forget about that download series. I bought all the pre - retirement shows a few years ago, and in preparation for the May 1977 box bought the April 1977 show a few months ago. All great stuff. I don't like digital downloads, but maybe I will get the 1989 shows now they have been recommended. Heck- maybe I will get the rest, too! Incidentally, I couldn't buy this 1989 box set, on my home computer, even if I wanted it. Having spent about 3 hours getting my subscription renewed for Daves Picks, there is no way I am going through all THAT again! At least Dead store make it impossible to impulse buy-though I have noticed I could get that kaleidoscope thingy if I wanted it. Weird.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

When is this damn thing going to ship? It feels like it's been discussed forever.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Although I am purchasing this set, I have to echo the sentiments of Kate and the flood of amazing music coming down the line. I recently received the Smiths Queen is Dead box, a double signed vinyl of Luna's new sets of music, DaP #24, ordered the Dave's subscription and 45 subscription, AND have the Dylan deluxe bootleg box heading out the same time as this bad boy is being released. I cannot wait until the Thanksgiving break to sit down with this fat stack of tunes, my fat stack of Emile Zola Rougon-Macquart novels, and just wallow in cultural genius. This world is amazing and I hope I can contribute in some way!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

What's with the lull in enthusiasm for this release (based on the comments below.) What have you all been vaping? "Buy Warlocks box used instead?" "Brent's voice is too scratchy?" "Someone's voice is off key in one part?" "Cancelled my order cuz there's a Husker Du box I want instead?" Really? C'mon folks - this is 1989 Dead, an amazing year that has been hugely underrepresented. Yes the Warlocks box is amazing, but this box rocks. 24 track master! Complements the Warlocks box with tons of songs that aren't on the Warlocks release, and some semi-rarities (To Lay Me Down, Man Smart, Let It Grow, Far From Me...) After hearing years of indignantly ANGRY complaints and debates that Dave's Picks is too '69-78 focused, it's a shame to see a lack of real enthusiasm when they DO put together good 80's box. OK, this may not be an elite songlist, and $65 PLUS tax/shipping for just 2 shows is NOT cheap, but this will be a release you listen to for a long time. Can't wait to get my copy!
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Looking forward to more multitrack '89!!
user picture

Member for

17 years

My enthusiasum for this set is high. It's one of their best fucking eras. I consistently pony up for the Dave's picks series in support for the cause to get more releases like this. If so-called fans listen to that Let It Grow from the Listening Party, and still pass on this, they might as well quit listening to the Dead all together and sell or trade their collections for Kid Rock albums. That's about as lame as they are.
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Sorry, but I don't think "Deader than Thou" comments are helpful. I only have Taping Compendium v1, maybe there's a write up or two on these shows that will wet the whistles for those on the fence. If this is anything like the releases from this year, I am looking forward to it. A week to go! Dave's 24 keeping me preoccupied in the interim. Let's stay kind.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Such comments seem to be common from the youth of today, sad to say. Others have more respect for each other and desist from this sort thing. As for "One of their best eras", this suggests that other eras were less good, which is purely subjective rather than a fact. Puerile.
user picture

Member for

12 years 2 months

.....but I certainly bought it. All Dead is good Dead, and this was the last year I caught shows. Any multi-track release I try to get, and I'm sure this will sound great. As far as being "Deader than Thou", I find fans of all periods are equally guilty. If you don't see "their" point, you are ignorant and wrong. We all have our favorite years (I'll take 74), but sometimes fail to recognize how lucky we are to have all of this great music released. Between this release and GSTL and Dave's Picks, this has been a great year. Peace.
user picture

Member for

17 years

It's the "Deader than thou" folks who won't pony up for this. It's cheaper than the cost of the Dave's Picks subscription for crying out loud. Great multi-track recordings of a couple of great shows from one of the bands geatest tours. Why would active music purchasing Deadheads pass on such a generous treat?
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I think that the reason "purchasing Deadheads pass on such a generous treat" as the 1989 "box set" is because some of them/us have a different taste to you. But still like The Dead. Get your head round that one!
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Full panic mode.
user picture

Member for

17 years

...you guys aren't buying it then. You should. You might even like it.
user picture

Member for

17 years

I've ordered it. Oh yes, thanks for pointing out that this 6 CD set is cheaper than a Dave's Picks subscription for 13 CDs. Rocket science! Doh!
user picture

Member for

9 years

It just seems like TPTB are calling it in on this one.Maybe a little peek at the set which must be ready to ship by now. This feels more like a digital release than a numbered limited edition box set. Wow me Rhino. Don't forget the bonus DVD from Meet Up at the Movies...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

$99/13 = $7.62 per disc $64.98/6 = $10.83 per disc (add a DVD and it becomes a sweet deal). Yeah I ordered it and am looking forward to hearing it. But it does kind of seem to be a half-hearted attempt to pacify the constant whine for an 80’s release. Bring on the video! Why let the video sit in the vault until there is nobody left who wants to buy it?
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Curious as to why you chose to refer to people requesting or asking for 80s shows as a "constant whine"? Maybe if David wasn't such a 70's snob and released more than the TWO 80's shows out of TWENTY FOUR Dave's Picks, people wouldn't have to ask or request or "whine" as you so eloquently put it. There is more to the Grateful Dead's career than the 1970s. I love the shows David has released, but some more 80's would be nice. 1987 was a magic summer for the Grateful Dead and 1989 was spectacular. The only 1987 release, as of now, is on "30 Trips Around The Sun". Just a "whiney" thought.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I have no doubt at all that 1987 was a magical summer to see The Dead-or that 1989 was spectacular...if you were there. But for me, the magic of those years hasn't travelled down the years as well as shows from 1968-1974 have. The latter shows transcend the time in which they were played, but I am not so sure the shows from 1979 onwards have. That doesn't mean there aren't many, many shows that are worth hearing from 1979 onwards. Just that they are more of their time, and tend to appeal more to people who saw them in that timespan than to people who didn't. You don't have to have seen them live in 1969 or 1972 for either one to be your favourite year. Could the same be said for 1989? The bands career in some respects seems to mirror the trajectory of a human life lived to, say "three score years and ten". From when we are children, young people, middle aged, elderly..
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 6 months

The more pressing issue is: Phil or Jerry's side? Enjoy the releases, while you can, in which ever era, you prefer.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

For the record, View From the Vault IV contained 2 excellent summer 87 shows. 7/24/87 and 7/26/87. Both smokers missing the Dylan sets. Am I in the micro-minority here, a deadhead who loves all eras? The diversity of their sound across their many eras is what has kept me interested all of these years. I for one have never been disappointed with any release eras. Without mentioning any particular release, I've scratched my head at show choice a time or two...but I've always laid my money down on release day. I can't wait for this one! My first shows BTW.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I hear ya - I love all eras and would like to see more 80's Dead releases like this, too. However re: calling Dave a "70's snob", let's clarify for all: Dave not only runs "Dave's Picks", but is also responsible for all the other releases, including the 2 '90s box sets that were recently released, 30 Trips, "Truckin' Up to Buffalo" and "Crimson White and Indigo", and now this 89 mini-box. The Dead have released almost as much 80s/90's music as they have 60's/70's over the last 5 or 6 years - i did the math.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

NO, you're not the only one here who likes it all.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Put me down as a Deadhead you enjoys all of the different band eras. Sure, the '70's are my favorite, but even saying that encompasses several different eras! My fave is '72 with Billy boy riding the skins solo, but I love the 80's and 90's for the larger song selection. I am looking forward to this one very much Rock
user picture

Member for

17 years

in the summer of 1987 there were 6 shows played with Bob Dulan. There stadium shows were non taping events and in huge stadiums. I dearly wish the Dead & Co would release those 6 shows with all the Dylan sets for the world to re enjoy ! Ive been waiting patiently for Dylan Dead to become a priority . please and soon ! Cobboflove
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Spacebrother, you're a real weenie, calling everyone lame who doesn't share your taste in music! Wake up and realize that a LARGE percentage of Grateful Dead music purchasing people do not like the 80s because it's not as good as the 60s and 70s, and there is more than enough 60s and 70s to keep us all happy for the rest of our lives. And understand that the reasons a LARGE percentage of Grateful Dead music purchasing people do not like the 80s is because Brent we think hiring Brent was a mistake, as he sounds awful 90 percent of the time he opens his mouth, or plays his plinky Barry Manilow keyboards. I promised someone here I would lay off of Brent, and I have, but not when you're getting nasty and calling everyone out. You are the troll when you say stuff like "If so-called fans listen to that Let It Grow from the Listening Party, and still pass on this, they might as well quit listening to the Dead all together and sell or trade their collections for Kid Rock albums. That's about as lame as they are."
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

But I also love ALL Dead.Oh well...
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Pretty harsh LoveJerry. We're talking music here. No need for personal attacks. 71-74 Keith is my favorite but ill take Brent's playing over 77-78 Keith any day.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

...of Deadness, I appreciate it all. My absolute favorite is the Kreutzmann-only era, containing the brilliance of Europe '72, etc. just 'cause they were such a tight rock and roll band with only the one drummer. Plus Jerry's modded-out Graham Strat is my favorite Garcia guitar tone of all time. I also love the teeny number of shows with Keith and no Donna. From 1972 right on up through 1974 and the Wall of Sound my enthusiasm is undiminished; I love me some 1976 - 1977 Dead almost as much. From 1978 on it possibly wanes a little more each year, but just a little, enough that I'm as stoked as anyone for this box to arrive.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

No worries, merely responding to Space, who one again went to far by getting personal with everyone who doesnt like what he likes. He seemed to not understand the why behind why some people not interested in this cd set. Just check out what he wrote. He doesn't get to lash out at the community unchecked. As for Keith in 77/78, he was basically told he couldn't play acoustic piano anymore, which is what his strength was. Add Mickey Hart to the mix, and yes, Keith was not as involved in the music. It doesn't make Brent any more tolerable, but it's amusing how people sometimes defend Brent by saying Keith was no good in 78. One has nothing to do with the other. If you like Brent great, but Spacebrother was begging for an explanation, so I provided it. Didn't mean to offend you Letsgocaps.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Just for the record, I love all Grateful Dead. I purchase everything that is released. Personally, my two favorite periods are 1977 and Fall '89/Spring '90. I was more or less thinking about Dave's Picks. 24 releases and 7 of them are from 1974 & 1978 alone. That's almost 1/3 of Dave's Picks that are from 2 years. The entire 80's decade has 2 and they are 1980 and 1981. I would just like to see/hear more from 1980-'89. I'm not gonna argue which era is the greatest or which years should get the most releases because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Except the cat that said hiring Brent was a mistake. He can burn in hell for saying that. (Just kidding all you sensitive people). Personally, when I read LoveJerry's comments, my jaw hit the floor. I think Brent was, is and forever will be the greatest. I'd take Brent over Pig Pen or Keith. That's my opinion and others are entitled to theirs. I would have to respectfully disagree with you on the equality between 60's/70's to 80's/ 90's LATELY. Buffalo '89 was 2005 and Formerly the Warlocks and Crimson was 2010. It just seems like lately it's 1970's or bust. Where are the 60's releases besides 30 Trips? I know a quite a few people that couldn't afford that set. Where's the 90's besides the Spring '90 boxes? You can't tell me the Grateful Dead didn't have a few barn burners after Brent passed away. So I bit THE hand. So what? What's he gonna do? I would just like to see MORE diversity. C'mon Davey boy!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

I'd just like to add that I never went to any Dead shows, was born about 6 years after Jerry died, and I still can't wait for these shows. I went to the Meet-up with my non-deadhead step-dad, and met awesome people there and had a great time, and genuinely loved the music, so this was almost a no-brainer for me. I really love the 70s stuff, more-so than 79-, but I like to appreciate this for what it is, and appreciate all of the music for what went into it and the effect it had on all the people who were there. The Dear Mr. Fantasy from 7/12/89 is by far my favorite, as well as the Man Smart/Woman Smarter. It was amazing seeing Bruce Hornsby and Brent Mydland playing together like that, and the whole show gave me a new look on Brent, who previously I had never really cared for. Sorry, I know I'm young and cant appreciate it as much as most of you, just thought it might be a good, different perspective to share.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Offend me? LMFAO. It takes a lot more than that my friend. I'm just trying to help keep it civil. I wasn't trying to defend Brent. Simply stating that although Keith is my favorite, I prefer Brent's playing to 77-78 Keith. That being said, how about some Spring 91 with Hornsby! I absolutely love the Cap Centre and Greensboro shows from that tour. Another Hornsby run that does not get the credit it deserves are the August 91 Shoreline shows. There are so many great moments. Highly recommended!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I can not wait for this 24 track to hit my speakers - just a week away from cracking open the box - that new box smell.... I'm in "catalog mode" with the Download Series, and while I'm cleaning up my collection and filling in photos for any blank icons on my iTunes, etc, I will be in heaven adding this pristine mini-box to my 80's stash. Heaven. WisconsinDead - I hear ya regarding diversity, but frankly I think they have the ratio of 70's to 80's just right. And if ya need more 80's theres EVERY show under the sun on Archive (which I know is like kissing your sister, but whatevs). Also, the Dave's Picks series HAS unearthed the better part of 3 '69 shows over 5 years (only 1974 has more shows released), so I don't feel like he's neglecting 60's at all. Besides, the setlists in the 60's all feel the same but in a different order. As for "what's Dave gonna do to me?", careful - he knows your mailing address! He even asks you to confirm it regularly... He might even be watching you through your computer camera - you ARE logged in! Dave has a dark side and can sneak into your home and deletes your favorite era if you're not nice - heck he can do it remotely if the music sits only on your computer! One day you'll wake up and suddenly PFFFFT half your collection is gone! NOOOO! Just don't bite the hand..... Space - Lashing out at people who are "Deader than Thou" while being a textbook example of "Deader than Thou" yourself is comical - Presidential, even. Love ya, but do you ever read your posts before you hit "save"??? Your posts often read like an 30's vaudeville comedy act, or Monty Python, in their absurdity.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

... then the bartender says "That's not a duck!". hahahaha
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

I suspect that you CAN appreciate the Grateful Dead just as much as anyone. Welcome aboard brother! Your story is inspiring.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Welcome Chase! Glad you got the bug! Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions - very few condescending snobs here..... Lots of knowledge on these boards. I hope you enjoy the new release. Inspiring that you were born that recently but still "get it". If you haven't heard "Without a Net", get that immediately! Hampton Box and Nightfall of Diamonds also highly recommended if you like this period.
user picture

Member for

17 years

"Lashing out at people who are "Deader than Thou" while being a textbook example of "Deader than Thou" yourself is comical - Presidential, even." You've read enough of mine, and other peoples posts here to know better than that. Seeing as you are bringing politics into this, I would take your point and add that the anti-80's sentiment by some here is rather Trumpian. You went there, so there you have it. Some people just never got over the fact that the Dead changed keyboardists. Some think the band wasn't any good after Keith and Donna departed. Most of us who like the post-Keith and Donna era of the Dead would like to see more releases from that era, and not just as $80, $200 and up too $750 box sets. The fact that many of us who like this era are priced out of buying these, in itself is Trumpian....not unlike LoveJerry's responses....one of the worst "Deader Than Thou" offenders here.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

NO, you must buy every thing ever offered, ever! Are you not a REAL 'MERICAN? WE BUY!! Do have ANY idea of the number of Whitman Samplers I have? Unopened? Nobody wants those things, but we must buy. The people who work at Whitman's count on us to keep their jobs, so they can feed their familes. Times are hard enough in China without Whitman going under. ...also,,, what happened to the first 11 M Ham's???? Concerned people want to know!!!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Of course its ok. You have 2,317 to chose from. I bet you can find one that's exactly perfect. Edit: Oops. Just read Dennis' post. As usual, his logic is compelling. _________________________________________ What happened here the last couple days.. the last I checked all was good with the world. I am beginning to think a couple of you are Russian bots sent here with the sole purpose of causing chaos, conflict, division and pointless discourse. These are fine shows, certainly worthy of release and the sound... is truly excellent.Believe it if you need it.. or leave it if you dare. See how easy it is? No need to stress, no points to prove. If you want it, get it.. if not, no worries. Easy breezy.. Oh.. and Chaseo8.. great post, great point of view.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html