• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I tend to agree with Dennis on this front. Most people are definitely of the mindset, "if I don't know about it and if I didn't hear about it when it came out...well, then there's no good music from (fill in the blank with country, year, decade, etc.)." Deadheads are some of the most polarizing people and it's odd considering how many colors most of them have seen in their lives. There was A LOT of great music from bands that started in the 80's or produced music through the 80's. If you don't know any of it, start looking it's gonna be a long winter in the Northern Hemisphere. I'm not making a list because I've done the work by listening, now it's your turn to put in some work outside the comfort zone.
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I'm not ashamed to admit I love the 80s. Def Leppard pioneered the hard rock ballad. The Cars were doing cool stuff in the studio. Van Halen shredded. Judas Priest was doing its thing. The Police were groundbreaking. Rush consistently evolved their sound, and while some dislike their synth stuff, I really like what they did in the 80s. While I personally don't like Bon Jovi, I have to admit that he and his band came out with exceptional pop songs. Every few years I rediscover how great Yes 90125 is. Prince came out as a major force to be reckoned with (dare I say genius?). Billy Joel put out some nice tunes ("Pressure" is a personal favorite of mine, perfectly capturing the paranoid cold war zeitgeist). Men At Work. J. Geils Band. Golden Earring. The Eurythmics. Duran Duran. Michael Jackson. Every era had its crap. There have always been popular, dismal tunes topping the charts. Someone mentioned "We Built this City." Holy hell what an awful song. "Against All Odds" was like listening to a person's soul leaving the body and embodies everything I dislike about 80s music. Sure, Brent's synth sounds and the MIDI stuff sound dated today. But I won't pigeonhole the amazing musicianship and creativity that the Dead and many others brought to the table simply because they embraced new technology. It's part of growth. I listened to this set last night again and I still dig it. I'm happy I bought it. I hope more from this era gets released, because I will buy each and every show.
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Jim, didn't you listen to classic rock radio out of Baltimore in the 80s? That station helped make me the man I am today.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

trey anastasio had once said the problem with the '80s was that a lot of people were given record contracts that had no business having a record contract. also someone once told me she took acid and hallucinated that papa smurf was chasing her with an axe. I'm not sure if that's even a real possible thing.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Just not too many new guitar bands came out in the 80s (certainly not what we had in the late 60s and 70s). And everyone went overboard on the keyboards and electronic drums. I think the corporate rock thing that was mentioned really started in the mid-70s with bands like Styx, Journey, Boston, etc. Do you know Styx first big album was their SEVENTH LP? That simply would not have happened 10 years prior, and I doubt it would happen today. Record companies now shut that shit down! The nod must be given to Guns ~N Roses - they pretty much revived hard rock in the late 80s. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm not feeling like too many good guitar bands have come out since the early 90s. I can't really think of anyone. Past 10 years - any good guitar bands? I think the 80s are looking great compared to where we are today. And here's something to ponder - have all of the good guitar riffs been exhausted? There's only so many chord combinations, man, I'm scared. Factor in the fact that you can't go back and reinvent rock 'n roll or the social environment that bred it. Scary future. I think there's a good chance that once the rest of our beloved bands go to meet their God, the kids are either going to be listening to oldies, or are going to drift away from rock -n roll as we know it. So no, the 80s didn't suck, but much suckage came out of them...it. kyleharmon - that Papa Smurf visual is the stuff of nightmares.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

J. Geils Band formed in 1968.Judas Priest formed in 1969. Cars, Police, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Rush are all 70’s bands (to the best of my knowledge). “Just thought you’d like to know” (taken from The Wall, one of the phrases from when Pink is watching TV). You make a great point that Brent’s keyboards, when taken in context of the 80’s, are not that extreme. It’s not like Brent was Flock of Seagulls, Gary Newman, OMD, etc keyboard crazy. I like most Brent, but the Fisher Price piano can get old. So when is that Tinley Park ‘90 Box coming out? Complete with video....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Hard Working AmericansAlthough it’s made up of Deadhead/hippie types, and so may not be considered ‘new’. As Vguy will tell you..... Greta Van Fleet!!!!!! I agree.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

For our friends in Europe, GVF will be passing through in March, and then back to Germany in June.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Thought I would check in to D&C, and Mayer is wearing a bathrobe.Not nearly as bad as what he wore at Fenway in ‘16.....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....nothin special about that. I air guitar in my living room wearing my bathrobe on Sunday mornings! (or as my wife says, acting stupid in my housecoat)....Greta Van Fleet. Seriously. Keep them on your radar. You will be hearing that name more in the future. Guaranteed....
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Hey now, the black and white checkered tablecloth shorts-suit was one-of-a-kind. it is also EXACTLY what I said to Ingrid last night when I observed said bathrobe...the tone had been set back in '16 to expect the unexpected methinks. Good for him. Kinda reminded me of a Jedi, is that so bad???and he can rip, so that's all that really matters. Decent show from the couch last night. Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Anyone on the European side of the pond received their RFK box yet? Got a shipping notice 6 November, but that's about it...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Well, within five minutes of asking that question, and as if by magic, the postman arrived bearing one RFK box!
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Well, let me ask a more specific question then: anyone had it arrive in the Netherlands? * (runs to mail box)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 8 months

I have listened to the box a couple of times not and don't think Phil's bass has ever sounded better. Great lines, great tone, great taste. A real treat!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A short and simple answer: No. I got a shipping confirmation mail on 6 November but it has not been delivered yet.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

After getting caught up with the anniversary date listening to official releases, most recent being the Denver '73 Road Trips for Nov. 21st, and a week in between now and giving a listen to Nov. 28th 1980 Lakeland (from 30 Trips) and Nov 30th 1980 (Dave's Picks Vol. 8), I went back for my second round of RFK '89. My thoughts the second time around, this is an awesome release. The sound, mix and performance are all top notch A++ Dead. I can see why the surving band members have such a fondness for their work in '89 and '90. These two shows have had a reputation for not being the strongest of the tour, yet they are still awesome. Tight and inspired performances all around. I hope the rest of the '89 summer tour gets this treatment. This is why I keep coming back for more.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Checking out my phone's 80's playlists, starting out with previous decade holdovers, I have: Grateful Dead (duh), Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Allman Bros, Bob Marley, Tom Petty, George Thorogood, AC/DC, Pretenders, John Mellencamp, Bruce Hornsby, Steve Earle, The Clash, X , Talking Heads, Meat Puppets, Camper van Beethoven, Beat Farmers, Los Lobos, The Call, Guns n Roses, R.E.M., World Party.Towards the end of the decade some new kids I liked included Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Roses, and Phish (although I didn't buy Phish stuff until the early 90's). So, yeah, other than those (and whoever else I forgot), 80's music sucked. I still listen to X frequently. John Doe coulda shoulda been a much bigger deal.
user picture

Member for

16 years

#432 has just been rescued from the local Post Office. Very nice packaging and i'm really looking forward to hearing these 2 shows as i've not caught them before. I'm loving every single release that comes our way and look forward to many more gems over the coming years. 'appy daze !.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Check your PMs.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

FYI - Lockn tixs for 2018 just went on early, early bird special 239 for 4 day pass, use GRATEFUL for promo code. Just got 3 tixs, now just need to live until August!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

LivePhish.com currently has their downloads 50% off. get em while the sale lasts. some restrictions apply.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

No extra taxes - this is because of Warner's policy of printing a value of $1 on the customs declaration sticker whatever the value of the contents. In this case it didn't cause a problem, just as it hasn't with the Dave's Picks, but the customs smelled a rat with the somewhat larger packaging of the Get Shown The Light box and demanded proof of value before imposing taxes and subsequently delivering the thing. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks for the heads up. I wanted the baker's dozen stand at Madison Square Garden and there they were for only 5 bucks a show. Grabbed all 13 shows for 65 bucks!!!! That's a deal you can't beat with a stick. If you like Phish, this is the time to grab them up!!! Thanks Kyle.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

you're welcome Dennis. they seem to do this every year. I myself grabbed a few of the '03 shows when I collecting '03. the sale lasts till midnite Monday the 27th. go to the site for more details if interested
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....that's like buying myself a Christmas present instead of my signif others. Guilt ensues....
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I gave this thing the obligatory cursory listen, was actually impressed... a bit bummed by Brent's nasty negative ranting at his lady (the stage is no place to air your dirty laundry, loser) and then bagged it into my catalougue of nearly 300 albums and 5,000 songs. This release was better than expected. Since all time is now, and Brent is still alive and dead along with Jer and the rest of us, here's a tip: present a unified front. I've been quite the ladies' man and now am married and I'll tell you, don't fucking fight with your girl in public. When you go out with your lady, or gent, get along, or at least pretend to. Let's not air our dirty laundry for the world to see, Brent. You are a circus monkey, er, performer, after all. Get some advice from Jer now that you're both up there floating around on opium cloud pillows. -Led
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Get.the. fuck. outta. here. Are you serious? My friend,you are the circus monkey. Brent gave us music for a lifetime. You? I'm a ladies man... What the fuckever
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Always offensive. It always seems worse after it has been recorded and played back. What might have been a moment of foolishness is preserved for eternity. Or at least a for long time.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Good deals on the Phish site..I know nothing of them, any recommendations for a show to start with? Remember, this is five dollars on the line. I just want to tell you both good luck, we're all counting on you. I have heard the 'Tahoe Tweezer', due to Holly Bowling's (apparently, I can't verify) faithful rendition on grand piano. She is crazy. In a good way. Dead & Company in Columbus last night...much better than the only other show I've caught (Fenway night 1 this summer). Cumberland was probably the highlight. Althea, Saturday Night, St. Stephen, He's Gone, China Rider with their debut of If I Had The World To Give with Oteil on vocals in between. Stella Blue..Watchtower, Sugar Magnolia..acoustic Ripple. Jeez. I felt this Fall tour started a bit slow, but they picked up after about 3 shows. Really entertaining stuff.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Brent's unnecessary mysogenistic rant is simply offensive and unacceptable on every level. I would hope that the rest of the band put him straight on that one. Whatever was he thinking? I trust no one will use the argument that he was "troubled" to try and justify his behaviour.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

That’s not the only show, happened many times. Apparently he wasn’t happy about his divorce. May have contributed to his drug use.....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Agree. With language like that, looks like we risk losing one or both woman that post here. yikes.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 7 months

Wait, what's the problem with what Brent said during "Far From Me"? I highly doubt it was directed towards all women. You can hear the emotion in his voice when he sings it. What part of it is misogynistic?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Right.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

"Brent gave us music for a lifetime" Uh no. More like "Brent ruined a lifetime of music" I'm sorry, the man was a charity case.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Apparently, those dishing on and dissing Brent for cussing haven't listened to a lot of Pigpen's racier spontanious dialogue, much of which was far more mysoginistic, particularly on a some of those Lovelights and Good Lovin's. I'm sure he was keeping it nice and clean at those Hell's Angels parties.....not. I know there's at least a couple of doozies in a coupe of the '69 and '70 Dave's Picks releases. Brent was a brilliant keyboardist with a great voice. His emotions, as projected through his music, is what makes it real and authentic. He brought energy that nobody else who filled that slot could, or did.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

well....they could just only put out Post Brent lol. wouldn't break my heart I listen to post Brent all the time. I think Brent saying what he did on RKF box pales in comparison to other things. its not exactly like Brian Jones being a woman beater.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I don't think Pig or Brent are misogynistic, misogyny being a hatred or deep disrespect of women. Pig's raps are like a raunchy street blues poetry extolling the virtues of women, often in very creative and sexual wordplay, but never hateful. Brent's rants seem to be anger directed at an individual, which is why Brent's rants can be so off-putting to some. They are crude, profane, and juvenile to the point of being downright embarrassing. I'm sorry if my opinion differs from a lot of yours but, like Spacebrother, I've got to call them like I see them.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

They should resign. ..and so ends their run for Senate.
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

language is a virus from outer space old bill burroughs You say you want to try again Wear it down between the lines Well I have a better end in mind It doesn't seem you really have to close your eyes to see Though I know you don't mean to be You are so far from me There was something I had caught inside Screaming hard to make it known In time it died alone It doesn't seem you really have to close your eyes to see You have been all you'll be to me It's just too late; and we can't relate at all It doesn't seem you really have to close your eyes to see Though I know you don't mean to be You are so far from me This time's the last time I want to say so long This song's my last song for you There's nothing here to hold on to Nothing to hold on to
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

"Brent was a brilliant keyboardist with a great voice" I disagree. His singing voice was very annoying and ruined most of the classics. It got worse as the 80s drew on. He was okay on keyboards, but nothing special. The Fisher Price keyboard did not mesh with the tone of the rest of the band, and had no balls. His B3 was good most of the time, but Pigpen's sounded better for being quieter and less dominant. Too much cowbell Brent. I just call it like I hear it.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got my copy today but paid additional taxesof about EUR 12. By the way: Jimi Hendrix would have been 75 today.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I've read a lot of obnoxious posts on these boards over the years, but that one takes the cake....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html