• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Go to the 30 Days Of Dead page and scroll down and click on the 30th.Scroll down to the comments and someone has it right there. :O)
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Listening to 7/15/89 today and I didn’t realize that there is a big time Close Encounters space. It’s much more pronounced than the close encounters space from DaP 23.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Speaking of 30 days of Dead...I Missed the last few days this year and wanted to grab them, but it is no longer obvious where they are? Anyone have that link to share? Sixtus
user picture

Member for

8 years

...I have the complete "Europe 72 "music only edition Boxset. All but a couple shows are opened, the rest of the shows are still sealed...If anyone's interested in any shows, Ill be happy to help my fellow deadheads :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but I found a pretty decent mixlr stream of the Dead & Co show in Austin tonight. That Eyes Of The World made me smile and cry at the same time. Bravo!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

like 26 minutes or something sick.. hats off to Burbridge and Chimenti, the unsung heros of this band. 2017 oatmeal is surprisingly tasty. With or without bananas.
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

thanks for posting the link to '30 days of dead'. I missed day 24-30 due to a broadband outage and I could not find them today once I got up-and-going again. I happen by here and noticed the link. Again, thanks very much! Ken
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Dallas, not Austin. Damn legalization....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Yeah, after they outlawed short-term memory Las Vegas has really gone to pot.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

In case anyone is still thinking about buying this and hasn't...you should. It is TOP SHELF Dead. I have listened to it twice through now, and it is really terrific. It surprises me how the Dave's Picks sell out so fast and yet these box sets stick around sometimes for years without selling out.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I agree that last night's show took the cake in a lot of ways. First set had a fantastic vibe to it, shakedown was super funk-a-fied.. I loved the Deep Elim Blues (Bobby: "You all knew this was coming..."); it was nicely paced and it sounded like they had practicd it quite a bit. I even enjoyed the music never stopped sandwich with easy answers. That one took me off guard too but it was enjoyable despite it's questionable place in history. Second set was absolutely amazing on the first half and I totally concur that I was blown away. They caught me totally offguard coming out of fire on the mountain, for a brief moment there I thought it was Franklin's Tower. Then it was that awesome realization that no, in fact it was eyes of the world! The biggest smile ever grew on my face at that very moment and for the ensuing rest of the show, even getting lost for several moments in the Dear Prudence jam which was I think the best one yet that they've done. Thanks guys for the links to the 30 days. I'll work on the scooping those up shortly to round it out. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....revisiting the Dallas show today via the Archive. Bobby forgot a line in Scarlet, but the crowd filled in for him. Yea. Shit like like is guaranteed goosebumps for me ;)....That majestic Eyes is around the corner. Oh boy! That's like seventeen minutes of goosebumps. Keeping the lamp burning. Thank you Dead & Co.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I noticed that. I'm not there yet.. how was it? I've noticed something, since at least last year. John apparently got this custom zebra striped maple guitar built when he started playing GD music. But for at least the last two years he has a different metallic silver guitar he uses just for the old songs (67 - say 71 give or take). Just a random observation, but the old school beast has much more reverb and muscle.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....draws a fine line between too much and too little. Mayer could stand just a little more. Just a little. Otherwise, keep shredding John....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I caught up to Had the World.. Hat's off to Oteil. At the end of the song I found myself ever so mildly slack jawed, a few minutes in the woodshop, came back and watched it again. Just as good the second time. Worth checking out should anything decent pop up on YouTube tomorrow or the next day. Smiling.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

If I Had The World - I wasn't familiar with the song, not really having listened to the Shakedown LP yet and appears the Dead didn't play it much. I did remember it from a version on the Day of the Dead compilation a few years ago. I really like it, saw it in Columbus and streamed the Texas shows.. Oteil does a killer job singing the ballads. And Fire. Also cool to see Deep Elem show up a few times. I've heard a few of the Dead versions (and JGB), but mostly know it from Levon Helm, The Lonestar Cowboys and Dylan's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyezKA18UG0 Ended up spending most of today listening to 7/19/74 Selland Arena, Dave's 17. Strange in terms of audio quality, not bad necessarily, just different. I guess that's the Wall of Sound? Gives the whole thing a quality on top of the syrupy playing. I'm not the biggest Eyes of the World fan but the '74 ones are some of their best stuff ever. Received the Stones 'On Air' yesterday, only listened to about half the first disc but really cool. Very similar to the Beatles' Live at the BBC, obviously. Cool to contrast the two bands at a similar point. Also watched Prairie Home Companion prior to the Dead & Co show last night. Never saw it with the original host, but Chris Thile is insane. All the band too, amazingly talented. The listener requests are my favorite part..I wasn't familiar with the song but they nailed Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke as if they had practiced it for weeks. Could be staged..but I suspect they're just insanely talented musicians. Not fair. Last random thought..after a ~month of digestion, where do people rank the RFK set? I guess starting with the most comparable release, a better or worse offering than the Warlocks?
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Need input. Edit: I will re-purpose my double post to shout out 3/16/90, current listening. I don't think I like the new Black-Throated Wind lyrics as much as the original, but I admire the straight out re-write. Flashes of Quincy-I mean Dylan. 3/14 remains a favorite but this one won't go away quietly.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Sorry to ramble on, but agree on Mayer's guitar choices. I don't know anything about the technical specs on his two PRS's (PRS'?) but the silver is definitely crunchier. They both have their place though. Also the F-hole on the maple/sunburst is fake. And that's all I have to say about that.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

F-Hole, It feels dirty just saying it. It's fake? say it isn't so.. it looks so good as a hollow body. Interesting.. still a pretty cool wide body custom guitar, I'll take two please. I enjoy working with wood, you don't run into hunks of maple like the one that guitar is made from very often. That's one beautiful guitar. Thanks for the links, Eyes.. hats off on that Had the World to Give. A solid interpretation of an obscure and underplayed Garcia/Hunter song. As for rambling... I know this song it ain't never gonna end.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

What made us all such avid fans of this band? Why did the music become so infectious to our ears? What made us deadheads? I nor you could ever answer that question literally. The swirls of the universe have captured us in a time where we are caught in the wheel.......thanks GD!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but that's another story for another time. When I'm blasted on margaritas. Eureka. God, I love her. Definitely married up....is the RFK offering of Women Are Smarter the GOAT? If not, it's knocking on the door....
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

The Mayer guitar official version has an f-hole, however the guitar he has been playing on this tour definitely has a decal only. Holes don't give off reflections with the actual wood around it, and in high def there's no doubt. Maybe the solid body works better in live situations... but PRS probably still wants to promote that model with the f-hole. I had a PRS. Was an amazing guitar. I sold it because I actually didn't like having the full hollowbody - just felt too delicate to wail away on. Loved the look, but I'm a solidbody guy. Man Smart from this box IS a goodie. Lots of good stuff in unexpected places. And it looks like it will be available for a looong time....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Nice.. this guitar is made in Stevensville, MD on Kent Island in the Chesapeake Bay.. a cool 18 feet above sea level.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That would be about 20 feet higher than my house.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I don't know if its true, but I have read that big bodied, f-hole guitars are prone to uncontrollable feedback when played at high volumes. B.B. King played a big bodied Gibson 335 that had painted f- holes on towards the end of his career. And one of the big Gretsch's-I think it was the "Tennessee Rose"- had them painted on as well.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Ouch.. Emergency Appendectomy! Show tonight at the Smoothie King Center postponed.. Sounds like he needs an Immune Booster Sweet Green Smoothie pronto. Get well John, wishing a fast and full recovery.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Grateful DeadMarch 29, 1969 Ice Palace Las Vegas, NV Download: FlAC/MP3 Recording Info: SBD -> Master Reel -> Cassette -> Dat Transfer Info: Dat (Tascam DA-20) -> Tascam SS-R05 -> Samplitude Professional v11.2.1 -> FLAC (1 Disc Audio / 1 Disc FLAC) All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller –Setlist– 101-d1t01 – Morning Dew 102-d1t02 – Good Morning Little Schoolgirl 103-d1t03 – Doin’ That Rag 104-d1t04 – Dark Star -> 105-d1t05 – St. Stephen -> 106-d1t06 – The Eleven -> 107-d1t07 – Turn On Your Lovelight https://themidnightcafe.org/2017/03/12/repost-bonanza-grateful-dead-las…
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I was ten months old, but still would've tried to go if I had a driver. At the time, our house was approx five miles away. Later, as a teen, the ice rink was converted to a huge pool hall. There was also a bad ass arcade four storefronts down. Spent a lot of time and quarters there in the early '80's. Back when there was an arcade on every other corner. Fun times. Joust anyone?....Discs of Tron? Tempest?
user picture

Member for

8 years

...I have the complete "Europe 72 "music only edition Boxset. A couple shows are opened, but the rest of the shows are still sealed...If anyone's interested in any shows, please send me a pm, Ill be happy to help my fellow deadheads :)
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I found it hard not to feel saddened by the death of Christine Keeler earlier this week. For those who don't know, Christine was a teenager who suffered an abusive childhood, who gravitated to London circa 1960, where she worked in as a hostess in a night club. From what I can make out, she was paid for having drinks with customers. In 1963, a government minister was identified as one of her customers, and all hell broke loose. In fact she nearly brought the British government down. Respect. Its always nice to read of situations where someone with little power brings someone down who has too much of it.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I worked at the movie theater when Tron showed...also Floyd the Wall, For Your Eyes only, etc. One night they showed Cheech and Chong's next movie at the Saturday night midnight (madness) showing. A biker that came left a 1/4pound under his seat. I happened to find it and gave to the owner. The owner (family theater, that was several decades old, so it was the son of the gentleman that opened it), was a stoner. I used to get high grade grass from the projectionist. The owner actually gave the smoke back to the biker the next day. That was crazy. Why I didnt just keep it I do not know. Of course, I later became friends with several of those bikers and helped move THINGS around. So it worked out well. Plus I did not get my a$$ kicked.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Exploding appendix is what took me down last December. It aint no fun. One of the surgeons was like, you really must have a high tolerance for pain as I went 16 days between when it exploded and when the ambulance picked me up. So glad I am getting much better. 2018 is going to be a return to high times indeed. I kept a lot of the meds for future use. Wink. I have aloways been a huge advocate of the "just say no" movement. As in, just say no to legal drugs, they can kill you.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It was not surprising that the shit hit the fan. Indeed one of her "customers" was a government minister, the secretary of state for war. Another of her "customers" was the assistant naval attaché at the Soviet Embassy. In the cold war early 1960's this unfortunate mix caused a major scandal and the government lost the following election, largely as a result of this scandal. Hee haw!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

some nice deals on sale. Get the box set of from the vault for $48, nice. In November, I ran back through all three of the shows, they are so good. I now have 5 listens to this release and it is a tasty release. The fact that they could play through the weather shenanigans is amazing. Such a good release for a stadium show with horrible weather is a testament to their deadication to the show must go on.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I know Greatest Of All Time (GOAT) is a meaningless subjective proclamation but every once in a while it's fun to throw one out there so here goes.. GOAT Dancing In The Streets 05/11/78 Springfield MA Dick's Picks 25
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I have always preferred the 1970 versions of Dancing in the Street, with 2nd May Binghampton being the absolute pinnacle.But I listened to Road Trips Volume 1.Number 1. recently and there is a great one on there, from 9th November 1979. This is probably an example of what used to be called "Disco Dead". Whether or not it is a superb revision, with Brent helping to take the rhythm into another dimension from the heavier 1970 versions. For me, Brent was at his peak during the Fall shows of 1979. This Dancing goes into Franklins, which is complements it perfectly.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

ah.. the often maligned (not by me) Dicks Picks 25. I always enjoyed that compilation for what it was.. two back to back, well recorded shows from the 'second phase' of Spring of 78. Plus we get a twofer in that Bear recorded one night and Ms. Cantor Jackson the other. I believe a couple contributors here were at the 11/9/79 Buffalo show. Hbob or Syracuse perhaps?? Fall 79 has energy, some fine playing and an influx of new material. Althea, Lost Sailor/Saint anyone? Lemieux has been playing the shit out of 1979 lately on TIGDH. This morning we got the beginning of the second set from 12/7/79. An interesting setlist.. China>Rider>Eyes>Lost Sailor>Saint. He made it a point to say most of this period is well represented in the vault. I'm no expert on recordings, their history and such things.. but with the exception of the Oakland run in December, I seem to detect a drop-off in quality in a lot of these fall shows. I wonder who recorded the majority of the shows and how they were recorded. Anyone know? Finally.. it was revealed today that a Saudi Prince bought the recently auctioned Da Vinci last month. mhammond, we know it was you.. Blues for Allah. While we are on the topic of Southern California.. wow that's some inferno that has engulfed this part of the world.. Hoping for the best.. scary stuff, lets hope for a silver lining. One edit: I am solidly in the 1970 Jammed out Dancin' in the Streets corner.. realizing I am also solidly in the minority. People like the mid to late 70's versions, which is great too.
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

Just poked my head in, and the first post I see refers to Dick's Picks 25, which is comprised of the two shows immediately after my first show (5/9/78 Syracuse). And of course, 11/9/79 and that awesome Dancin'>Franklin's that opened the second set. I will briefly say that the Buffalo show (11/9/79) was probably the most electric, rockin', memorable show I ever saw, except for the one RCMH show I got to see (10/30/80). RCMH was most memorable for the venue and the acoustic set, as I don't really remember so much of the electric sets. But the energy that the boys displayed in Buffalo was just out of this world, and that second set opener had to be the best I've ever seen. Of course, I was too young to see a 1970 Dancin', so I can't really compare. But I like the rockin'-disco late '70s versions a LOT.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

For a 1970 (or any year/decade) Dancing in the Street, head over to the soundboard of 9/18/70 Fillmore East. Incredible great mix and recording, great vocals, extraordinary synergy, check out Garcia's slow burn solo backed by unearthly percussion/bass, organ ... Weir fills in the gaps, you know what I mean. Dancing informed by Dark Star ... There are other great 1970 versions, some more experimental, but this is a stand out due to the fabulous recording and mix, and, of course, playing by the band. Check it out!
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html