• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Don't get me started on Dick's 25, Jim. I'm one of the maligners, and I like lots of '78. Most importantly, why can't I find a Chia Garcia on Dead.net for a Xmas gift to myself??
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Never had much luck with this one. I recall a lot of loose vocals and slide guitar on top of some great Jerry stuff. Maybe i'll listen today. Which one is Bear?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I think Bear recorded 5/10/78 - New Haven CT and Betty recorded 5/11/78, Springfield CT.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

btw, which one is Bear? I'm Lost
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Listened to the 79 Road Trips last night. Forgot how good that one is.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

You wrote: "Its always nice to read of situations where someone with little power brings someone down who has too much of it." Again, well put. The award for "Efficiency" or "Saying the Most in the Fewest Words" is yours. It occurred to me that one could rewrite it replacing "power" with "respect" and it would have similar meaning: "Its always nice to read of situations where someone treated with too little RESPECT brings someone down who gets too much of it." 1979: High energy shows, but they don't have the warmth of '78 and especially '77, to my ears. Maybe it's the cassette masters, maybe it's just the overall mix/sound palate adjustment as Brent joined. Maybe it's just that Betty wasn't there anymore, so back to house mix.... Jim, interesting that you think the Fall '79 recording fell off a bit considering they have only released 2H '79 if my memory serves.... But I just got hooked up with a slug of '79 from a super-swell dude and look forward to digging in - I don't think I've EVER listened to 1H '79... should be interesting. LOL: "Garcia Chia"... or "Chia Garcia". I think that would sell big.....
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for your comments. I agree, the word "respect" could replace "power" in my post, and still convey the same meaning. In fact, it might do it better. I also would say that I prefer 1977 and 1978 to 1979, the little I have heard of it. In fact I have listened to so little 1979 over the last year or so, compared to the amount of 1977 and 78, that I have tended to overlook it a bit. Consequently, when I listened to that Road Trips from Fall 1979, it came as something of a surprise, how good it was. Also 27th October from 30 Trips and 26th and 28th December. I don't think there have been any other official releases from this year, which is quite slim pickings compared to the amount of 77-78 shows released. Maybe less has been released because they had less to say!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don't forget the two Download Only shows from 5 and 6 November 79, released back in 2008. Hard to find them now as they disappeared from the store very quickly. Plus the vinyl only record store day release of 5/4/79, from Hampton Colisseum.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I'd buy this. I mean, just this morning I saw a 'Chia Bob Ross' commercial. Anything should be possible! Also, tossing my hat in the ring for some '79 love; especially later in that year. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

The Garcia Chia is real. I remember the comercial from the 90s.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Hot Tuna w/ Steve Kimock at the Capitol Theater on Relix YouTube channel. See you there!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Garcia Chia. Too weird, I never would have guessed.
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Was something crazy like "keep Jerry alive in your windowcille "
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Apparently so... (Same photo, five minutes later) Edit: I'm so thankful it's just a head shot. Just say no to the full chia.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

VGuy.. you're the man. A free stream of Jorma's 76th birthday soiree (I think). Every year he celebrates in NYC and drags in all kinds of special guests. I tried to make it every year.. but it's a ton of driving for me and NYC can take a chunk out of your wallet. Apparently it's at the Capitol this year.. rockin! Thanks Senator! Made my night, put me in charge of your re-election effort. Starting right.... now. Edit: Here's the link. A living legend.. check it out folks, and be sure to thank the good Senator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGgc6N8zj9A
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....to keep my constituents happy. That's what I was elected for. Enjoy!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Jack and Jorma look and sound grate. Kimock just came on stage. Hesitation Blues? Sweet....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

They were sold in the lot. Surprised you never saw them. 7-13-89 Cold Rain and Snow was playing today as I drove in the cold rain and snow to the beer store. Perfect timing. Shoveled my driveway tonight for the first time in several years.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....RIP John Lennon. I remember that night vividly. Time to spin Plastic Ono Band....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Garcia Chia, makes a great gift! Re: DP 25 count me among the proponents. Listen closely, I hear levity and soul. I often go to that pick when I need my Phil phix!! It's not the best of the discofied versions however, I suggest you try 5-15-77. 5-15-77, almost the perfect show...I wish they had finished off the St. Stephen!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

It's my annual CD sale. All of these are excellent condition and are either duplicates or cd sets where I have most or all of the songs. Some have been played once. I'll combine shipping and if you buy a bunch I'll make some deals. I can also send pictures if needed. USA only. They include: Grateful Dead- Daves Picks- limited releases- Volume 20 12/9/81 University of Colorado (2 copies, one opened $20 and one sealed $30). Volume 22 12/7/71 Felt Forum ($20) with Bonus disk 12/6/71 Felt Forum ($25) or $45 for both. Volume 24 8/25/72 Berkeley Theatre ($20). Grateful Dead-2 Show RFK Boxset-$40-includes 7/12/89 RFK Wash DC and 7/13/89 RFK Wash DC. Led Zeppelin- $8 each- all of these are the recent reissue/remastered deluxe editions with extra bonus disks: for sale is: Presence, Physical Graffiti, Coda, In Through the Out Door, Led Zep II, Led Zep III. $8 each.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....of the DaP Boulder show. I know a lot of you didn't like the pick. I like it though, so good for me I guess....
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Anyone partake in the vinyl Hampton '79 for RSD a few years ago? Stupid question. What are folks opinions on that one? Worth ~$80 bucks on Ebay? I don't have any live Dead on vinyl. Would be cool, though that's very expensive for one show and would get alot more plays with a digital copy.
user picture

Member for

15 years

Hi Muleskinner - I got the Hampton '79 records. I think they sound good. The cover is great. You are aware it's not the full show? The first few songs from the first set are excluded due to time constraints I suppose. That didn't bother me. Also drums was edited out. Also not too important to me. You should check on discogs. I'm seeing several for sale on there for $45-50, plus shipping from Europe. That was how I got my copy - shipped from someone in Europe. The Long Strange Trip anthology on vinyl is really great. The 6-disc set on Amazon. It has the Dark Star from 02/14/70 on one side and it's worth the price of the box. Good luck with your decision-making!
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Awesome, thanks for the great info! I will do some shopping around, appreciate the leads. For some reason it seemed like a good day to listen to '79, and that made me think of that release. I hadn't even thought of the LST soundtrack, that would be very cool as well. Off topic - Bela Fleck and his wife Abigail Washburn are currently on Prairie Home Companion. Killing it. He's playing a baritone banjo with a slide, wild.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but I'm not made of Money, Honey. Eighty bucks is not ridiculous, but I would counter with sixty, because I like to barter. Speaking of bartering, the price tag of the "lost" Dead show with the Buffalo Philharmonic show from '70 has mushroomed to 2K. If there's a GoFundMe account for that diamond in the rough, I'll pitch in fifty bucks easy....http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/05/reward-for-elusive-bpo-grateful-dead-… ....all in for Bela. You have grate taste....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....how about this. What's up with this Bitcoin news lately. I googled and Wikipedia'd it to death, and I still don't get it. Am I dumb? I don't understand.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Had tickets for Bela and Abigail last new year's eve but did not get to go. Rats.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I live in San Diego and the conditions here are so dry and windy it almost screams "There is going to be a fire!" Our house is surrounded by extensive green belt areas (actually brown belt is more descriptive) so we share our backyard with skunks, possums, and coyotes, and there has been numerous credible mountain lion sightings in the neighborhood. We've had to evacuate twice before years ago but our neighborhood has always been spared. But my wife and I thought it wise to run through our plan should the need arise. After all the most obvious gets I said "My Grateful Dead CD collection." She said "But you've got that backed up on itunes and our external hard drive." I couldn't explain...the steamer trunk...the FW 69 box...the two May 77 boxes...Winterland 73 and 77...July 78...complete Dick's Picks collection...complete Road Trips...complete Dave's Picks...If San Diego has a devastating fire and you see a picture of a grinning skeleton sitting amidst a pool of melted cds that'll be me. No regrets.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Bury em.. four feet down, wrapped by a tarp in a wooden box. (like you'll have time for that!). Don't forget to write a map and put an X where you buried them. The other scenario where you pack the trunk w/ all your CD's but there's not room for the wedding pictures and family heirlooms is a tough one to swallow. (..and I loved that dog!) tough choices. :D Wishing all in Calinferno the best. Scary fires to be sure.. hoping for minimal carnage and some rain and much less wind. Be safe, we'll gofund you a steamer trunk if need be.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

That's quite a collection you have there mhammond....say, I lost your address, what is it again?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

1965 Shakedown Street Golden Road CA 91995
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

mhammond’s phone # is619-867-5309 Edit Ask for Jenny
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

I could almost write a catchy bad pop song about that number
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Double post
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I don't think we should be surprised by this mini tour. Sorry they seem to be circling around you West Coasters. I like the idea, less fanfare and marketing, small venues with good acoustics, no need to bring the big band and just a tiny little tour (which could be all they can handle). I could be wrong.. but when Furthur was formed, I thought Phil made a point to say that he wanted to play with Bobby again (which knowing Phil's post GD history was a little unexpected). If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Tiny little one-off's and a way to connect with each other, if for only just a moment. Gives their families a mini free excursion to break up the winter time blues. We might not see many more of these events.. and its a great balance to D&C.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I pre-registered for tickets (or at least the chance to get tickets) for Radio City. Here's to hoping tickets are reasonably priced this time around. Should be a fun time....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

These guys have given us so much music over the last 52 years, and continue to do so. So many great memories. Somebody, quick clone these guys and give us another 52 years.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Was not moving in my car and Phil was making my car vibrate and rock during Terrapin.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Did he blow your speakers? I'll send you the link for the class action..
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

Really...... Phil and Bob, just played Mill Valley on 9/9. Sorry about all the Phil and Friends or the Family Band at Terrapin Crossroads. The Fare Thee Well, shows. Some Dead and Company shows, as well. And for no love.......How about all the JGB shows at the Warfield through 1995. The only shows here: Dead and Co. have been cancelled due to Mayer illness. Sorry living in Florida, not seeing the love lost on the Bay Area.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html