• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I'll raise your Sister Rosetta Tharpe by a Big Mama Thorton. My dad turned me on to this one. Right on mhammond. I swear that video has been posted here before.. but years ago.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Great to see you back in your old treads. That pic suites you. Hey.. since nobody's listening, and its late. Any heads up on the next release? I hear its another 4 track remastered spring 1968. Or did I hear that in a dream. Speaking of dreams.. epic times in the mountains East. Holy Moly.. Times are good. Which brings me to the real reason I am writing.. Ooops.. who's that knocking at my door at this hour? Cleaning up.. the woman that shares my house had friends over this afternoon for lunch. I was working upstairs.. Just came home from my own night out and found three bottles of wine that they drank.. one (which I said no go) was ..well.. I'm too sad to even mention the name or how much it cost me. argh... they probably would have been happier with a $6 rose.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

I keep most of my higher resolution music as uncompressed AIFF files. I do not use WAV, because it does not store metadata (AIFF does). I keep all of my CD or DAT quality files as lossless ALAC. By higher res I mean 24/88.2 kHz or better. Modern hardware decodes lossless files up to 24/48kHz perfectly. I have noticed some very slight loss of quality when playing back ALAC high res (especially 192k) files. I have had some (very few) 24/192kHz files that would not play back from a lossless compressed format. As a rule, I keep higher res as uncompressed AIFF (or could be WAV, but the files do not store metadata or cover art). I do not believe that FLAC was intended to be a playback format, just storage, although that is one of those subjects that audio enthusiasts debate endlessly. By the way, the Garcia 9 (1974 Keystone) is available as an 88.2 kHz download, it is a lovely analog Betty board, full of warmth. One of those joyful, relaxed recordings, close your eyes and you are there. And yes, I decompressed to AIFF.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

jeez. This stuff is getting expensive. did I miss something? What do we know about packaging and what's included?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

I wasn't going to buy this set - since it has so many slow songs I don't particularly like (or am sick of)- but on the other hand, maybe better "dead-heads" than mine seem to be enthusiastic about it. I did like the version of "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" with Bruce Hornsby. I'd hate to wait until it sells out, then regret not having it. So I put my order in just now.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

I am not jumping in for this release ... but hope all of you that do enjoy it! Someone posted a few days ago saying they are saturated on Dead CD's and not a completist and in their view this isn't a "must have". I feel the same way so i'm not jumping in here. Funny, I started buying the releases in mid 90's when they started to come out. At the time I wanted them so that when I was an old man i'd have some high quality Dead music available to me better than the my old bootlegs tapes. I remember getting Hundred Years Hall, Dozin and the early Dick Picks. At the time I was guessing they'd release a new CD or two ever 3 or 4 years so I wanted to get them. I NEVER guessed they would start releasing in such large quantities. Wow, we really are lucky! DaP alone is 4 cd's a year ... sh!t ... I would have never predicted that in early days. Although not a completist, I have been buying most stuff since the mid 90's and have a boat load of Dead CD's so i'm at the point where I sit back buy what I think are the must haves. My favorite years are 69-76 but I do like all Dead and will buy any years if its a solid show. I do really like 89/90 Dead and though some don't like midi I do and don't mind the "different" sound it gives. I like all dead in any year as long as they had their "A" game. I really like Buffalo, CWI and warlocks. I am not familiar with these RFK shows and but the consensus from this board are that these aren't top shelf shows ... so i'll pass. Plus, my wife subscribes to a family iTunes plan so her and the kids can listen to music. Its like $12 a month and sort of over priced to me but since we have the family plan, i'm on it too and they have a ton of Dead options (road trips, dicks picks, veneta, etc) so RFK will probably be on there at some point and I can hear it then. A huge thanks to Dave and Rhino and anyone else who keep cranking out the releases. I don't know of any other fan base that has what we have ... it really is fabulous.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

please enjoy GD89. it's just that when "women are smarter" is the highlight, there is something amiss. imho.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Call me stoltzfus. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would go with a friend a little and see the Grateful part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily seeing images of Donald Trump, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off, or "Women Are Smarter" is cited as a concert highlight - then, I account it "high time" to get to my 60s and 70s GD as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the first half of the GD's history. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the GD with me.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

There are so many more highlights in these shows than "Women Are Smarter", which itself is quite awesome. From the first show you have a Mississippi Half-Step that's amazing. Far From Me may be the best version performed (check out Jerry's over-the-top solo!), Cassidy soars, Friend of the Devil grooves nicely. Ship of Fools is picture perfect. Estimated > Eye's transcends. Great Mr fantasy. Black Peter is primo plus Bruce sitting in on a couple. Top notch Dead right there. The second night is even better. The rockin' double opener of Hell In A Bucket and Cold Rain and Snow get get the party started in style. Tennessee Jed is one of the all time versions. The "then" rare To Lay Me Down is awesome. Truly epic versions of Let It Grow, Terrapin, The Other One > Wharf Rat take this show over the top. Even the Throwing Stones is epic. These shows may have been average for Summer '89, yet the bar was so high on this tour that every note is like Manna from Heaven. You can hear Jerry's enthusiasm and smile through your speakers.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

and opening the 2nd set with Sugaree was good. again...I didn't get to any shows in 89, which is probably why I have sour-grapes face when it comes to the subject. there...I just unclenched my balloon knot... y'all be cool, Spacebrother.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I was thinking about how seeing the band in any given year impacts on our subsequent enjoyment of listening to shows from that year on cd etc. I think seeing the band in any of the later years may give us a warped impression of their artistic merit during the year in question. I had a great time at shows in 1981 and 1990...but sitting at home listening to those shows, in comparison to ones from 1968-1974, and its quite clear that they were in decline when I saw them. The same with the very early days. Listening to a recording of an acid test from 1966, at home, with nothing stronger inside me than a cup of tea, and it becomes blindingly obvious that you had to be there to get anything out of what was going on. Historically interesting-but you really did have to be there for those events. With a show from 1968-1972 the quality of the performance shines through.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

How dare you post such an honest (yet absolutely correct) assessment of the band. Aren't you at all concerned about provoking the wrath of a handful of people on this board? space - what kind of speakers y'all got over there? I gotta get me a pair of those bad boys. They turn mediocre music into Manna from Heaven and allow you to hear facial expressions. Cool stuff. Sounds like something that Wonka might have been working on before his untimely demise.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Garcia didn't really have his electric guitar chops in 1966. He got so much better. As for something being wrong when "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" is the highlight of a show, well, it's just personally a song and arrangement by the band I've always loved. The Bo-Diddley beat they use on that song is one of my favorites, same as Not Fade Away and Iko Iko.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Looking forward to this as I am with most Dead releases. 89-91 was magical Dead IMHO. Glad to see this one isn't limited. That act is getting old. Peace.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I wish Betty had been working 83-86. That era reminds me of 60s shows where, sometimes, it was a little rough but when it was good it was gold. The mid 80s had some of that too. Granted there were some train wrecks but when they were on, they were ON. Too bad the tapes are sub-par. I'm just grateful for the outstanding work of Saint Charlie Miller who made this era shine.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Still trolling for a conflict I see. What are you going to do, chastise me for being gifted a Spring '90 TOO box yet again, 5 years later and counting? Maybe someday I'll be able to post here without Angry Jack Straw being a dick to me.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

mhammond and others. Try replacing the hard drive in your ipod classic with an iflash unit loaded with high capacity sd cards (or with an SSD unit). Install Rockbox and you will be able to store and play your entire GD collection in lossless format on a single ipod classic.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

"And he said Jump right in the first was Texas medicine , the second was just railroad gin and like a fool i mixed them and it strangled up my mind ... http://www.dead.net/sites/all/themes/dead2013/jplayer/?url=https://sos2…. "Now when Ruthie says come see me in her honky-tonk lagoon Where I can watch her waltz for free beneath the Panamanian moon And I said , oh come on now, you know you know about my debutante she says , your debutante knows what you need , But I know what you want ...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

That was a great box space, glad you got one. I do wish the dickheads would just go find someplace else to troll. These are the same guys who ruined the scene and destroyed out little piece of heaven. I could name names, but what good would that do, we all know who they are. I concur with Spacebrother, 89-91 dead was good, real good.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

The ad hominem bickering on this forum sucks. It's not as one-sided as some might think. Really torpedoes an otherwise upbeat, you-never-know-what's-next ramble about all things even remotely "Dead". Seems like we all have a hard time not being sucked into ridiculous spats. This grade-school troll-baiting is a real buzz kill.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Somebody wake me up when talk of music resumes.... Happy Sunday one and all.... onward?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

interview with Bob Weir (Dan Rather interviewer) most interesting thing wasn't musically related...he was adopted...got a call from his birth mother in 1981, was told who his birth father was...got in touch with birth father 10 years later, who had no idea he fathered Bob freakin' Weir... interesting. this as I read a book called "A Long Way Home", about a kid in India who got separated from family as a five year old and through determination and Google Earth, found his birth mother 25 years later.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

That story stolzfus is familiar, I think he mentioned some of that before his campfire album was released last year.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

wurm here.. long time listener, small time poster... Just wanted to say that after receiving DP 23 and GarciaLive vol.9, that I couldn't be happier with show selection for the two shows.. The upgrade with the Eugene show was a real treat to finally hear it in its glory.. The Cassidy, Peggy Ohhhhhh, jack straw with big fat Terrapin, close encounters, st. stephen, and a the monster around & around.. Awesome stuff right there!! This weekend I dug into the GarciaLive show. Wow!! I love the jazz infused, bluesy jammy, candy coated snack that this show has to offer.. Jerry and Merle we truly something special in their own way.. Listen to Merle during that Ain't No Woman (Like the one i've got).. Krazy krutchy kosmic jerry jams in there.. Eat at your own discretion.. ;) With the RFK announcement.. So does the pre-order go up until 11/20? I'm on the fence about purchasing this right out of the gate, since it's not a limited release.. If there was a bonus involved maybe in the pre-order then I'd be game.. The big Debbie downer for me is not having the video to go with it.. I'm just gonna sit back and relax on it.. The price will go down eventually.. Really bummed lately how the Meet up at the movies shows haven't been released.. I can never make it to the theater, since there is only one that shows it locally.. Hopefully, there is still a future for "view from the vault" type releases.. Hope everyone is having a splendid weekend.. pCe.. wurm
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

A few years ago I emailed DL (the only time I've ever done so). I simply said "If another View From The Vault was released I would buy it." He replied in equal simplicity "so would I". :)
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

91 has several that I like: 6/14/91 (a View release), both Las Vegas shows, 6/22/91, 9/26/91; yeah, 91 would be good90 has a lot a good 'uns, including 7/12/90 (another View) and 6/16/90 (another View) 89: 6/19/89, Irvine shows the Views must not be profitable or something. They do make good sense. And a good way to get good shows released. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaly wish we could know what goes in the hearts and minds of the people responsible for the business of releasing GD to the electric masses. "mawr, mawr mawr...hang out, ok?"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Why must you poo poo people for having a different opinion than your own? Lots of us enjoy the later eras of the band just like you enjoy the earlier stuff. You make it sound as if we are idiots for doing so. You could be nicer about the way you go about it instead of calling out someone who obviously finds a great amount of joy with the later material. I say let them enjoy it. Its about time some other era other than your preferred one gets a little love too. I respectfully request that you keep your negativity to yourself Space Brother I am with you. I love all eras of the Dead and more releases from this time are well overdue!
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

For those of you out there on the fence. Get off of it! Just heard David L. special regarding this release on SiriusXM. He said it will be "really limited" in it's release and will for sure sell out. This is EXCELLENT Brent era at their peak! Celebrate and get one before they are all gone. SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Sshhh. Be very quiet, top secret...but whether you accept it or not, you are one of those troublemakers you are talking about. You just don't realize it due to your self-righteous agenda. Why, just this morning I read a quote from you saying you were deliberately antagonizing someone with a post you wrote, someone who had not provoked you in any way....and the language you use...tsk tsk, not the words of a Gentleman. Try to live up to the "non-dick" persona you want to pass off as legit.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

we all know PatagonianFox is the biggest dead.net troll east of the mississippi river. i hate that guy. seriously though... is the RFK box really a limited edition? still trying to confirm frankie lee's post. ----
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Wouldn't it be nice be everybody agreed with each other. Especially if the views that were being agreed upon were mine.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I don't think so. I've always liked his posts even though they might go against the status quo. Nothing he has said has bothered me in the least. I may not agree with everything that people post, but I just don't worry too much about opinions that differ than mine. I like the Fox and value his comments. As far as his question, I don't think there has been any evidence that this is a limited edition offering.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Those of you attempting to confirm the truth of my post... I have searched high and low on the interwebs for written info on this release. Today David L. said aloud on his SiriusXM special about this box set that it would be "very limited" and will for sure "sell out". I am not attempting to panic anyone but rather help those that may be undecided. Do not wait! You can not lose on these releases...someone will always be willing to pay you what you payed if it ends up not being your "taste". 75th Birthday rebroadcast from Red Rocks tonight on SiriusXM! Pay attention!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Why post and imply these show were representative of a "band in decline?" Harsh! I'll go with Dave's assessment above: “RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux," I was there (and at shows earlier in the 80's.) I'm with Dave! Things were fine the Summer of '89! Band on fire and in a state of resurgence! If this release isn't for you, maybe quietly beat it on down the line and take it elsewhere. It's a big Internet. Just sayin' These shows are damn near sacred to many of us......
user picture

Member for

12 years

......ouch, i guess. let the 80's crowd buy it and be happy. I don't need midi, overweight, addicted Jerry. Those that have wished for it should buy it. I won't. We all have different periods we like. All good. No one should get pissy over someone else's favorite era or years. Many heads don't want more 73 or 74. All good.. Lets talk about music. Love you all. Let's be civil and cool. We all saw them at different times and have different views on what was the golden age. Our age often determines this (as do our ears). I'm older (relatively speaking) and know what I like, but let's not begrudge each other our certain eras of preference. The only thing that upsets me on these boards is when people bitch about $ or politics. Peace.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

The Dead were always good even when sub-par. I've been listening to a lot of Europe '72 shows lately. A high-water mark, indeed. The highest? I don't know. I can't decide myself. It is awesome hearing Pig's organ and he in full voice. The drums being different, man Billy really did kill it on his own and that shit was tight. Jerry cemented his legacy right there as one of the greatest rock lead guitarists of all time on just that one tour. We are so lucky to have all those shows, recorded so well. I appreciate that Dave Lemieux has access to things I'll never have, and I respect his well-informed opinion and judgment. If he's pulling a show from 1989, I'll bet my ass it's a GREAT show from 1989 and am happy and excited to hear and have it. Is 1989 my fave era? No. But I still love the Rolling Stones and catch them every time they come through town, every few years. Exile/Stinky Fingers Stones was the pinnacle, I think, but I enjoy and appreciate them to this day. We all get old. Most of you are over the hill. Bet you still get after it, though. God Bless. \m/

Member for

16 years 10 months

Stars didn't align too much for me 'n the good ol' GD in '89. After Greensboro in Spring, spent all afternoon first night Pittsburgh trying to find the friends who had my ticket ~ and never did. (No cell phones.) Long drive back to B'more. 2nd night RFK I was taking my final college final. And that Fall I got pneumonia just in time for the Warlocks tip. Had a ticket for 2nd night Philly, though (and the newly revived Help/Slip and Death Don't), but stayed home just to be safe...and the next morning my doctor gave me a clean bill of health. But did catch 1st night RFK, they reopened the box office and sold special orange tickets with a black skeleton. Honestly I thought it was an average show, but have some fun memories: a great summer Half-Step, a song that always sounded best outside; my 1st FOTD in three years, only my 2nd and never again (even if Brent had the wrong MIDI sound queued up for the start of his solo!, which he quickly rectified); my only Far From Me; Bruce and Brent sharing the piano (a prophetic moment, but who knew?); and the Dire Wolf guitar out of space! Wasn't as loud as the Irwin, though. Fun show, but certainly didn't wow me like the Downhill From Here video. Maybe that latter '89 magic solidified at Alpine, or a little earlier. But to my perception, it was the Garcia Band shows in September that really set the stage. Whatever didn't happen for me in '89, I saw the two-night Garcia stand at Merriweather, and I think I have to say it was the hottest and tightest I ever saw Jerry. Weir/Wasserman opened and watched from the side of the stage. Here's what I've always imagine happened after this experience: Bob: "Damn, Jerry.... Why can't we tighten up OUR band like this again?" Jerry: "Let's do it." A month later they break out two of their tightest songs ever, Help/Slipknot and Attics, along with Dark Star, of course, and go on a great run through the next Spring. epilogue: 2015, Santa Clara, 2nd night ~ Bob sings Death Don't, long lost to me from Fall 1989 (and he the sole remaining singer from that year's arrangement)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I caught both Ann Arbor shows in the Spring (4/5-6/89) and they were smoking hot. Highly recommended listening! First night had a longer-than-usual first set with many highlights while the second set was what you might say was a rager (or I would say rocker). The second show was more jammy with as good of a Birdsong as you'll ever hear in the first set. The second set Scarlet > Fire also stands up with the best of them. One of my favorite moments was the Playin' into probably the best Built To Last they ever performed. The way they rolled into it has to be heard. These two shows are every bit as good as the best from the Fall '89 tour, except without the MIDI. From Playin' on was a continuous jam that kept finding it's way back a few times before finally hitting the Reprise to close set 2. The recordings more than live up to the memories in this instance at Ann Arbor. The only other show I caught that year was the middle night (7/18/89) at Alpine Valley. Every note and beat that show was pure spot-on perfection, as was the whole run. I also had front row center tickets for a Jerry Garcia Band show that ended up never happening at Pine Knob. It was sadly cancelled. JGB did play Poplar Creek and Alpine Valley nearby, but was unable to attend. Reports from friends who went were in attendance of those shows unanimously agreed that Jerry was at his all time career peak at those JGB shows that '89 fall. The Fall '89 Shoreline run (9/29-10/1/89) is highly overlooked and under-rated. I imagine there must be some pro-shot video of these. oh yeah, Deer Creek '89 was another good one. If '89 RFK is limited, I wonder how many they are making? 8900?
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Wise words indeed. The last two shows I have listened to have been from the latter half of the year. Baltimore 17/9/72-Dicks Picks 23- is a fantastic show from the get go. But after only 5 songs in, it gets really good, with a wonderful, almost 11 minute long Bird Song. From then on the show real lifts off.The other one I listened to, for the millionth time, was the more well known Veneta Oregon show from 27/8/72. I am normally sceptical about shows that everyone rails about-but this one, to me, really is as good as its reputation. Bird Song(again) Playing in he Band, Dark Star-if I only had one Dead show, I think this would be the one I would want. Even the small songs shine-great version of Mexicali Blues! Interesting comment about being over the hill, too. I am 60 now, and have been lucky enough to have been retired for 3 years. When I think back to what I was like when I was 30, 40-even 50-I feel like a different person now. A lot of the baggage I had when I was working has been dropped-I no longer need a car, I don't have a "professional" identity-no ghastly meetings to attend all over the country. I have met a completely different set of people, have been able to develop spiritual interests more-different forms of meditation/contemplation. Life feels more open than it did when I was working. In terms of my career, I was probably over the hill in my latter years-but in terms of my life-unless I am completely deluding myself-I feel as though I am just starting out. I think we only risk being over the hill if we persist in doing things as an older person that we enjoyed as a younger one. Obviously, in many cases, we have no choice-but at its best, old(er) age is a time for transformation-not decay. I wonder what would have happened with Jerry, had he retired early.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Sorry for dissing a year that you hold in high regard. It must have been great seeing the band at that time-I wish I had. You give a good impression of what it must have been like.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I'm not on the inside, but this is obviously not "limited" and they will produce plenty, so no rush. And frankly $70 for just 35 songs in a non-Limited release seems like a lot (no mention of any special physical product). Those who don't have $70 to drop on something like this, note that it will likely be available for download for cheaper (they tend not to announce download version until the actual release). General release CD's like this tend to resale on eBay and Amazon at very reasonable prices anyway. But do get it one way or another - these are great shows from a great year that has been waaaay under-released.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I agree. They also left the "Limited Edition" out. I guess that means that it will be sold on Amazon. This set is on 6 cd's. Are there 3 CD's per show? Doesn't sound right.
user picture

Member for

9 years

Units available is also going down, so it seems to be limited as well.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html