• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

My problem with it was more that Tom Dowd was absolutely correct about the horns. Juicy Carter is a good saxophonist, but the first night, he and the other horn players don't know Liz Reed at all, and is playing well out of key, the second night isn't much better, when it was just Juicy and Thom Doucette on harmonica. There are good moments. I love hearing You Don't Love Me, even if the sax makes it a little jarring. I don't find the repetitive setlist boring, it's more that the best parts had been released, though the box is worth it for the different Whipping Posts. Mountain Jam was a fairly regular song in the rotation for 2 hour+ shows, so I was shocked that they only played it once in the March shows. I guess because it was an official release, the other Fillmore shows didn't circulate. I have a good sized Duane era tape collection, and I hadn't heard the full shows before the box. The 6/27/71 show was disappointing as filler disc, as it was on that Eat a Peach, and is one of the most circulated tapes. There are other Fillmore East and West shows in the vault that would've made for a better filler disc, 9/23/70 as an example, which circulates in video as well. I didn't realize it started selling for higher after Gregg passed. I got it for 66 on pre-order at Amazon, and saw it dip down to 35 bucks on Amazon late last year.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I own zero Allman Brothers records. What are the top 3 or 4 Duane era CDs you all would recommend. Do they tend to release entire shows or best of live stuff? I checked out the Skydog box, and it's way too expensive for an intro to the band. Sound quality is important to me. Thanks. Minas, yes that is the house.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

The first 4 ABB albums are the Duane ones and all are worth getting, though sound like they were recorded in the mid1960s, even though they came out in 1970. The Dreams box is a nice 4 CD introduction to ABB, but only half has Duane playing on it. Since Gregg died what used to be cheap has gotten pricey and over the years the catalog has been remastered a couple times, so go for the remastered versions of Idlewild South, Fillmore East and Eat a Peach for the best of the Duane era releases.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Butch - Early Allmans definitely wasn't recorded well - Doesn't really capture the magic. Proceed to the following as starting point: Live at the Fillmore East - One of the best Live albums EVER recorded (up there with Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus, BB King's Live at the Regal, and Bob Marley's Live at the Roxy. Eat a Peach: This album contains some "Fillmore East" Outtakes as well as a few post Duane tunes like "Ain 't Wastin' Time No More" which are amazing. Sadly, Live at the Fillmore is about the only really great LIVE Duane recording I'm aware of. I've bought a number of other live ABB recordings and been massively disappointed - horrible recordings. This is why we love the Dead: Bear started a tradition/legacy of meticulous live recordings that continued until the late-70's, leaving behind a treasure trove of amazing live recordings. If only the ABB had a Bear....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

This release is from a multitrack recording and sounds great: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Allman-Brothers-Live-Atlanta-Intnl-Pop-Fest… I don't have the ludlow garage release but I think it may be multitrack too. This archival release from 9-19-71 is absolutely fantastic but it does suffer from sound quality issues; especially the first 4-5 tracks. The sound improves for the meat of the show. 11+ minute blue sky and 20 minute Liz reed and dreams! Get this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-S-U-N-Y-at-Stonybrook-…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

There is a blu ray audio release of the ABB Fillmore East, currently available for about $55. It is stunning, the audio is uncanny clear. There are two mixes, LPCM stereo at 24/96 kHz, and a 5.1 mix that is dts-HD (also 24/96). The stereo mix is similar to the original LPs, but much better.The 5.1 mix was intended to recreate the sound as you would hear it from the center orchestra at the Fillmore, and it is fairly successful. Someone posted a comment saying that the differences between the shows is subtle and the full series is not worthwhile. I thoroughly disagree, that is like saying we should stick with Live Dead and not bother with the full run FW 1969. There are a couple of other worthwhile releases of this material, a dts 4.0 of Live at the Fillmore, which is a remaster of the original quad release, and is excellent and interesting (and long out of print), and an SACD of Eat a Peach, which is based on the original quad issue, and is similarly interesting and enjoyable, also out of print but I believe available. The ABB 1971 Fillmore set is a masterpiece, and without doubt the place to start with the ABB. if you have the right equipment for playback, the blu ray is best.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

There was a recording that came out about 20 years of a Bear recording of The Allmans. Its from the February 1970 run they played at The Fillmore with The Dead. What a box set that would make-all the sets by both bands! I am listening to it now-the opening track, Elizabeth Reed features a great jam-and the sound quality isn't too shabby either. Its not SACD or blu ray standard-but its okay. Way better than Ludlow Garage. Love were also apparently on the bill, although you don't hear much about their sets. It was a different band from the one that made the truly classic Forever Changes, but it would be good if some of their music could be included in this fantasy release too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

as of right now there are 1978 copies of the Summer 78 box set left
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Last year's official cleaned up release of the A & R Studios 1971 show, recorded live with a small audience, is excellent and sounds great. The Sound on Live at SUNY starts badly and improves somewhat, but is worth perservering with for Duane's astonishing joyful solo on Blue Sky (and Berry Oakley's bass too).
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

The allmans also had a Dick's picks like series that ran for five volumes, not sure why they stopped issuing them, Sound is up and down per release, but definitely worth picking up. There is a show from 73 at nassau coliseum which is really good
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Seems there's a lot out there. I bought a copy of the A&R Studios 26/8/71 a few years ago. I would say the one I have is basically a bootleg-although you can get it on Amazon and the few remaining record shops that sell music like this. I wonder if this band approved version is much improved from the one I have. Morally I should get it, I suppose!
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Another band I am about to start listening to, who are often mentioned on this site, is Govt Mule. They are playing London in October, supported by Kenny Wayne Shepherd, which looks like it could be a good night. So I downloaded a copy of an album called With A Little Help From Our Friends, to get a feel for their music. All their albums seem highly rated on Amazon-but this one, being a live double, seemed quite an attractive place to start. And maybe finish..I don't know yet!
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

You can't go wrong with some mule! LWALHFOF is agreat album to jump off from with the original lineup with Allen Woody. There is also some great players as well on there, Marc Ford from the Black Crowes, Derek Trucks, Chuck Leavell, Jimmy Herring etc. I would also recommend Dose, and Life before Insanity, there second and third albums respectively. After Woody died I stopped following them as much, just wasn't the same
user picture

Member for

15 years

The SUNY Blue Sky is worth the price of the album and makes up for the sound quality. Just Glorious.I consider the studio release of Blue Sky to be the perfect song. I wouldn't change even one note. I've been working in the shop building some furniture this weekend, wife and kids are out of town. Mostly been playing Flying Burrito Brothers so far, but after checking in with this thread on my lunch break I guess I'm switching to the Allmans. Thanks all! (If anyone is interested in some Allman trades PM me)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

Try "Live at the Roseland Ballroom" it was the original Mule at their finest.Enjoy

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hmm....I certainly value my summer '78 box. And I know lots of you, including my buddy Jim, feel it's pure gold. It rocks, no doubt about that. But I wouldn't recommend it out of the gate to a brand new explorer. There's some really exciting music, and some pretty sloppy stuff, too. Listening to Omaha's disc 1 again recently (first set+), I'm kinda baffled Dave's liner notes praise this show in particular as "exhibiting none of the occasional playful sloppiness that could creep into 1978" ~ when I find it to be a quintessential example. A lot of Jerry's vocals are...less than strong. St. Paul exhibits this "playful sloppiness" too but I admit that Jerry's steering Mexicali towards the ditch is a super-fun moment, with Bob calling him out into the mike. It's Arrowhead and the two Red Rocks shows that really sell the box for me. Yes, you can get 7/8 stand-alone, but 7/1 and 7/7 are true gems in their own right. Dave's gush about 7/1's second set run is NOT hyperbole. And 7/7 falls prey only to the attention given 7/8...sublime two-night stand. But given a choice ~ not that we have to choose ~ Get Shown the Light is in another league of mastery, to my vibration, and has seen a lot more play thus far. I do pledge to listen to those middle shows again, though. *quick plug for RT/From Egypt With Love, while we're on '78. That Mojo Working > Other One run smokes. (Bonus disc, of course, allows you to reassemble that whole 2nd set...lovely Estimated. And bask in the beauty of World to Give.)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....is probably at the top of my list for most under-utilized song they ever played. Right up there with Clementine, Built To Last, King Solomon's Marbles and Gentlemen Start Your Engines....

Member for

16 years 10 months

That's a nice list ~ most of those are in the 2-5 club. Pretty exclusive. Clementine and King Solomon's Marbles...sigh. Mason's Children is another favorite of that ilk, though its little run still saw a lot more performances than any of those. Kinda like Mountains of the Moon. I actually caught one of the Gentlemen Starts, and I loved it ~ it was really raunchy and they were up for it; Jerry certainly was. That one (oddly, I've never heard the other one) has this dark spacey guitar burst right in the middle that comes out of nowhere. And the classic grind to a halt ending when they hadn't played a song enough ; ) Though a spirited grinding to a halt ; ) I think others have mused, too, If I Had the World to Give would've made a great early 90's breakout.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

I would throw in Here Comes Sunshine. Everybody loves it. It's a killer song with a killer jam section. It's puzzling that they threw away such a great song, and odd that the last time they played it was at the first show of the 1974 tour. It seems like there is a story behind it. But then again, they stopped playing a lot of great songs. Its a Man's World is up there with Mason's Children for me. Crazy Fingers is another, but I can see how it may have been a little too mellow.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

This song came back with the Vince era band and was a great set opener for many shows from the 1990s. Grateful Dead Live at Boston Garden on 1993-09-30 Set 1 Here Comes Sunshine Spoonful Candyman El Paso Broken Arrow Stagger Lee Easy Answers -> Don't Ease Me In Set 2 Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds Wave To The Wind -> Crazy Fingers -> Estimated Prophet -> He's Gone -> Drums -> Space -> The Other One -> Wharf Rat -> Not Fade Away Encore Brokedown Palace https://archive.org/details/gd1993-09-30.sbd.miller.79116.flac16
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Considering they were three of the best songs written...by anybody, anywhere, anytime I would say both Box of Rain and Ripple were underplayed. The thing was , when they did play them, they were never as good as the recorded versions. Attics of My Life, and Crazy Fingers the same. Some songs lent themselves to live performance, and some didn't. They didn't play Let Me Sing Your Blues Away live much either. But that was because it was a bit crap.
user picture

Member for

15 years

7-13-76 from the Orpheum, for anyone who loves that song, or wants to. Really good sound available on it as part of 30 Days of Dead 2015. I've played this performance of this song more than almost any other single live song (Help/Slip/Frank on One from the Vault only one more)
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks for the tips about Govt Mule releases. I nearly got the 'Live at Roseland' , but plunped for With a Little Help with it being a double. The second and third albums are going two for the price of one on Amazon-and an inexpensive one at that, so that may well end up in my house next week. There is another live set that is very inexpensive-its name escapes me- which includes 3cds and a dvd-although reading between the lines, it looks as though it could be a bit uneven, quality wise. The one I've got, With A little Help From Our Friends is great. I was very impressed with the tight blues funk on the first cd-and that cover of War Pigs takes no prisoners. I haven't listened to the second set in its entirety yet-but it seems as though they stretch out a bit more on this one. A good tough sounding band. Great guitar sound.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

The Eleven- I know Jerry had reservations about the song but MAN. St. Stephen- Why did they tuck this tune away? I think it resurfaced a few times in 83 before it was put to rest for good. Just think what a late 80's/early 90's St. Stephen would have done to the crowd. Casey Jones- Such a nice first set closer or encore, would have liked to seen it played more during thier peak later years. Lastly......... Me and My Uncle of course
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Wait till you hit Cortez the killer and Afro blue...tasty. That live album you mentioned was I believe live from the deep end. That was coming off a two separate tribute albums when woody passed. They recorded with a different bass player that woody had admired on each track
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

Actually Live at Roseland is a 60 minute set of them opening for Blues Traveler on 12/31/95 ( some other band did some other well known show in the same city that day but in a bigger arena). In all honesty it is an absolute smoker, a must-have. Also I think still available on their website is the Georgia bootleg box series which is a set of 3 early Allen Woody era shows. Personally I also think their new album smokes and caught them at summerstage back in May - they are on fire right now.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The thing that put me off the "Live at Roseland" cd by Govt Mule was the fact that it includes quite a long Voodoo Child in its 60 minutes. Its a song I have heard soooo many times-and on the whole I am not that keen on versions of Hendrix songs played by other people. Even Stevie Ray Vaughan. Its great if you are actually at the gig-I saw a blues guitarist called Joanne Shaw Taylor a few years ago, and she tore the roof off the joint with a searing version of Manic Depression. But sitting at home listening-I am not so sure. I will look out for the Georgia bootleg sets. I am glad that you mentioned that they can still cut it too. It occurred to me last night that my album-and all those being recommended are about 20 years old. And on With a Little Help, one of the great things about the sound is the bass playing-by Alan Woody, who, it seems, is sadly no longer with us. Afro Blue, on With A Little Help, is great. They sure cover a lot of ground on this album!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

I was at a remote kids camp last week in Maine chaperoning my kid and his church buddies. ... had no internet so I'm just catching up on posts. Gary, hang in their buddy and get well! Thanks to you and all for sharing your stories! I find them very interesting and funny (when they are meant to be funny and not serious). I liked the advice one guy gave .... let your caretaker make the next move. I was at a concert at old Boston garden and a buddie in our group got puked on by someone in balcony above us. We were sitting on floor right below the balcony. Nasty. The car vomit story triggered my recollection of this gen.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Funny I am n Bermuda today for work. Only here for a day but it's a greet island! Enjoy
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Thanks for the kind words of support, my friend. The outpouring of support has been humbling indeed. Not only here in public but from several PM's. Again, thanks to all! It was Mhammond that gave that advice and he was the first to respond as well. His advice is what I was considering anyway as it melds with my personal philosophy on that matter any way. One reason I wrote that I run single ladies away. At this time I won't bore you all with my personal philosophies. I wish I had posted this maybe over at the Dap23 board as it is not quite as public as this board is right now. Oh well, live and learn, always.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Here in central Florida we are having an extremely difficult time finding a virgin for the Aztec eclipse ritual.
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Remember when Billy came out with airhorns strapped to his chest to reintroduce Casey Jones at RFK? Bananas
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Another late era show that somehow escaped my attention.. thanks E&J. Hey.. it just dawned on me.. are we talking to Erik, or are we talking to Jenn or could it be either depending on the day or the post?:D Great reviews on this show, and I am shamed to admit I was not there.. I guess I had something going on that couldn't be skipped. To bad.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the fact that you thought they stopped playing Here Comes Sunshine in '74. You should know better. Definitely a party foul. All good though. But, really?....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I thought he was in trouble with Bobaloo for not supplying sacrificial lambs in time for the eclipse. I guess I'm confused, as usual.

Member for

16 years 10 months

...stop playing Here Comes Sunshine in '74. Early '74. (Till they brought it back in the '90s, of course....)

Member for

16 years 10 months

Still kicking myself, too, for blowing that one off. And I was a year too late for Merriweather '84. Sigh. Some songs are just destined to elude.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....or not understanding the question. I'm with Jim (confused)....I'm putting on a HCS, just to even my keel....my original post said "under-utilized songs." They utilized HCS quite a bit....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

So much fun.. the tapes do not do it justice.. Nice opener.. Perhaps its just personal hyperbole, but they seem to stretch out that opening until everyone was standing, grooving and sweating like they had done one line too many. Plus.. how many shows post 73 did they open with CJ? But even the good soundboards from this era sound a bit thin compared to how it really sounded. In the early 80's you could just as easily skip the boards and grab an Oade Bros FOB... Maybe that's why DaP 8, 11/30/80 sounds so good, best of both worlds, the best Matrix so far? 83 Merriweather is more a crime.. such a good show, but good tapes just suck. Oh well. By 85 things started to get a bit cleaner, I think that's why 85 Merriweather gets a lot of hype from that series, it just sounds better on tape.. The first night from 83 was a better show and both 84's stand up. I suspect Merriweather was a hard place to record, its an early shed design, somewhat atypical and the sound carries a bit. Sorry for the rant.. good memories. Santa Fe 83 anyone? :D
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

Check out the jam out of Space on 12/8/93.....Wait for Bobby to hit those familiar chords. Also check out 2/27/94 jam into Wharf Rat...for a nice Cosmic Charlie tease.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

Can we get some help from you? Seems a bunch of us are still waiting on replacement discs from 5/5/77 set 2. Dr. Rhino has been contacted and we've been told, "out of replacement discs". Well at this point, we are 3 months passed the release date, not to mention the March pre-sale date. Some answers would be helpful. PM if you could. Cheers, Jay Doublu
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

It's back to the 78 box for me today.A while back some one mentioned there are no CD players in new cars anymore. Well I found that to be true with Honda as I was looking at the 2017 CRV. I can't go for that Darryl! I went across the street and bought the 2017 Toyota RAV4 instead. Better ride and cooler options. Plus I got my CD player to play my music. Yeah 1978 the year of graduation (barely) in my case. 40 years ago soon to be! This box is a real joy to listen to. This and GSTL has got me covered with the occasional foray back to '73. Satisfaction! Back to normal solar activity!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I like Toyotas a lawwwt :)
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Anyone going? Heading out tomorrow, big bird to Raleigh, NC, north to Lynchburg. If there text me 214 663 4309. Say something like "from the dead forum". A good "Dead" lineup this year. Maybe Brandi Carlise will make it this year :-) D
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html