• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

@HENDRIXFREAK

Pretty sure those El Monte Reels are in the Vault.

Bob Minkin took a photo of 1970 reels in the Vault and it's in his book. Some reels with those dates are in the picture.

Big hole between 7/16/70 and 12/12/70, then there's one reel of 12/23 and all 3 of the El Monte shows in the picture. Also DL has played some bits and pieces on the Taper's Section and I believe he mentioned they are there as well in an old interview.

Hope that helps keep the hope ;)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Thanks for the tip about the above Everly's album - there are a few tracks from 1968 by them on the Truckers cd I bought - good stuff.
That Bakersfield box you mentioned looks exceptional. And, pleasingly, much less expensive from Bear Family than Amazon.

For NYE, 1972 is the one for me. Although its been a while since I have had a look at 1978-so maybe I'll pop that one in come the time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

What a loss. One of a kind flat picker. He played with Jerry, of course. He also had an amazing voice back in the day. I had the pleasure of seeing him play many times. The world now seems like a darker place, yet again.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Daverock, my brother has the Bakersfield Box and he says it's a knockout. RIP. Tony Rice

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Spending time just chillin' and listening to 12/26/79 Dick's Picks 5.

Happy Holidays and stay safe.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by hartwerger

RIP is right.

Tony Rice was an amazing picker.. He will be missed. I have quite a few albums of his and his various bands, plus many albums he played on.. and I have listened to his stuff a lot over the years. Always impressive and tasteful. He was simply masterful.

Proudfood.. well done.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

One of the finest guitarists in the history of music, he completely transformed bluegrass from guitars as rhythm instruments to bluegrass guitarists needing to be able to play solos as well as the fiddle, banjo, and mandolin players. And to play as well as those guys, you have to be damn good. And his amazingly wonderful voice, before he was robbed of it... I got to meet him a couple of times and once got to carry his guitar (Clarence White's guitar that he gifted to Tony) from his car to the backstage area where he was about to go warm up before playing. Not much of an interaction either time, but it was pretty cool to me. Luckily we have albums and videos to listen to for generations to come.

...Ditto, I’ve been enjoying Dicks Picks again since yesterday afternoon! This pick is one of my favorites I. The Dicks Picks Series & I’m a huge fan of 1979! I hold 1979 with high Honors in the dead’s playing as a “Unit”, absolutely beautiful performances were played in 1979 and I’m always grateful and waiting patiently for the next 1979 release, I’d love a 79’ Boxset to add to my collection that would be ‘primo’ in my book!
Have a grateful day my friend. 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Photos of El Monte tape boxes is positive, if not definitive. But the thought of that three-nighter nestled in the Vault, awaiting possible release, is sweet indeed. Unfortunately, the dearth of '70 complete shows means they'll get doled out agonizingly slowly over years to come. But who really knows? Not me...

Damn, Alvarhanso carried Tony Rice's freakin' guitar for him. I recall a show with Tony Rice and, I think, Peter Rowan, at Denver Botanic Gardens. I noted that, unlike others, Tony brought his guitar on stage in a special case and put it away before walking off. Amazing player, RIP, and the raucous Leslie West, both gone in one week?

Brace yourselves, as time rolls relentlessly on and, as Dylan sang, "You think you've lost it all, there's always more to lose..." Summon courage for the days ahead.

What a great show-I'd forgotten how good it is. The whole show is great, but that must be one of the best Alabama's in set 1, - and if this isn't the best Uncle Johns Band ever played, I'd like to know why not.

I thought I'd better go straight to 12/28/79 while I was in the mood, to see how that measures up-and it measures up very well indeed-great first set. This is a Road Trips release, and I notice there is a bonus cd with highlights from12/30/79 included. I must have played it in the past, but I have no memory of having done so.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Nice story Alvarhanso. I got to see him a few times with the David Grisman Quintet, these shows were unforgettable, his playing was on a different level altogether; what a loss.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

I started listening to that yesterday, too. Set 1 is lotsa fun.

Reeeeeally looking forward to the next two discs

:)))

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

I became an instant Tony Rice fan when I first heard him on the first DGQ album and his early solo effort sometimes called Rattlesnake, back around 1977. Was already aware of Clarence White by then, and Tony immediately hit my list along with Clarence and Doc Watson as the guys who took bluegrass and acoustic guitar to another level. Also made me think that you can listen to a lot of people shred on an electric guitar, but when you get them on an acoustic, you really learn if they know how to balance tone, timing, and intonation to go a few levels beyond, as I once read Tony describe the elements of guitar playing that mattered most to him.

Got to see him live several times, including once in the 80s in a small church venue down in Menlo Park, San Mateo, or somewhere else on the SF peninsula that I don't quite remember where. Even then he was selling his CDs at the show, apologizing for doing so in a church. He never sold out his integrity and never went all Nashville, which I suspect kept him from earning the name recognition and fortune of some of his other bandmates along the way. A story I read about him as of a few years ago was tough to take, as his medical conditions/hand dexterity issues kept him from playing guitar or getting the expensive adequate treatment he needed, as I recall.

I still have all the old original Rounder and other label LPs of his that I bought as they came out, plus a mix of LPs and CDs from later years until I had most of his output. Plus, he appears on so many records of other great artists where he's just in for a few tunes to liven it up. I could usually pick those tunes out from his rich Martin tone on the rhythm from the beginning, until they let him blast off on a solo on these guest appearances.

He always seemed to surround himself with the some of the top people at other instruments in almost any setting he played in. I'm sure they sought him out too. When you get accolades from so many, including a range from Ricky Skaggs to Allison Krause to Bryan Sutton to Sierra Hull and so many others, you've done something right.

For me though, the highlight was the first time I saw him with pretty much the original David Grisman Quintet in 1977 or 78, can't remember exactly, but it ripped every bit as much as that landmark album did and may have had a few tunes off the upcoming Hot Dawg by then too, but it's so long ago that details fade. The feeling around seeing them that first time never has, though. Still among my top 5 live shows that I've seen.

Thanks for decades of showing us that there's a deep well of authenticity that's always bubbling in the halls of music, Tony, for those who are willing to look for it.

user picture

Member for

4 years

SpaceBro, LG, DaveR, ProudFt - Yes. From EP to NFA, there’s 68 mins of energy and passion. It's throughout but these hit me. New to the party but can easily hear what you're talking about. Thanks for the nudge!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by jp1119

Welcome ! I would also like to recommend 12/28/79 as well, if you can get hold of a copy-it was in the Road Trips series. It opens with a great 16 minute Sugaree, and all the first set is superb. The highlight, for me, is the Playing in The Band in the second, though, and again, Brent adds a flavour that had never been added before. Drums and space are highlights of both nights, as well.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by jp1119

Speaking of 1979, I’m also very grateful for ‘Dave’s Picks #31, 1979 - 12/3/79 which I.believe is another excellent performance captured on tape for eternity and beyound that too! Compared to Dicks Picks #5 , # 5 still remains a higher. Pedegree of playing & enjoyment for my taste / likings!
I’m still surprised that not much love is expressed here on these community message boards! For some reason I remember treading alot of disappointment among the fans opinions when Dave’s #31 was first released.
I’m still listening to Dave’s #31 at least once a month or more to relive the dead’s brilliant & beautiful musical passages sprinkled on top of some Jerry Garcia ice cream ! Liven 1979! Alright Alr Alright! “Nothen left to do but Smile Smile Smile!” C🙏❤️💀🌹
Take care everyone, peace be with you all!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by jp1119

Speaking of 1979, I’m also very grateful for ‘Dave’s Picks #31, 1979 - 12/3/79 which I.believe is another excellent performance captured on tape for eternity and beyound that too! Compared to Dicks Picks #5 , # 5 still remains a higher. Pedegree of playing & enjoyment for my taste / likings!
I’m still surprised that not much love is expressed here on these community message boards! For some reason I remember treading alot of disappointment among the fans opinions when Dave’s #31 was first released.
I’m still listening to Dave’s #31 at least once a month or more to relive the dead’s brilliant & beautiful musical passages sprinkled on top of some Jerry Garcia ice cream ! Liven 1979! Alright Alr Alright! “Nothen left to do but Smile Smile Smile!” C🙏❤️💀🌹
Take care everyone, peace be with you all!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I saw a lot of cool shows on Dec 28th throughout the years, between the Oakland Auditorium and the San Francisco Civic, I had a lot of high fun times on that date.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I wholeheartedly concur about this date from 79-84. I don't know what was going on but all of these shows are just so well done it makes you want to ask that question - what was going on? These are great shows, all of them and I recommend them to all.
Billy, got any cool stories about those shows you saw, I never made it out west to see the boys and I thought maybe you could enlighten us as to what was going on on the 28th of December way back then.
Anybody get any cool dead stuff for Christmas? I received something I haven't seen for years, a double sided mobile from a record store owner friend from 1979-80 of Terrapin Station. It has the front cover on one side and on the other side the back of the lp, the one eyed skull, very cool, now, how to hang it so it doesn't get worn out, it is too cool to just put away and not be seen.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

We just got really high at all those shows, both the S.F Civic & the Oakland Auditorium had great bars inside. At the Oakland Auditorium we walked downtown to George Atkinson's parents liquor store ( George Atkinson great safety who played for the Oakland Raiders, late 1960s early 1970s) to buy some booze before the show, we had already dosed. Pete Rozell the NFL commissioner had called George Atkinson "part of the criminal element in pro sports" because of his hard hitting rough style of play. When we got to the liquor store, it was full of pictures of George Atkinson, my late friend Cole asked George's parents if their son was truly part of the criminal element in pro sports, boy , the atmosphere got frosty in there fast. Anyways, those Decmber shows we partied hard, and got as high as we could.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

One afternoon long ago
Lysergic listening on a hillside
Terrapin Playin'
Oh yeah
One of the 10 highest experiences of my life

:)))

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....I have one dose. Saving it for NYE. The last time was last New Years Eve.
But the more I think about, seeing as how this year turned out, maybe I'll save it for another time.

user picture

Member for

7 years

My mind must be slipping because I was wondering why nobody was on this site since I was continuously going to the Dap 36 thread. Getting old sucks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

Hang in there Carlo, 2021 is right around the corner.

RT3. 1 from 12/28/79 is one of the best 79 releases to date and the bonus disc is hot.

I will say the 79 show from Chicago didn't live up to the 12/28 show. I have heard others mention a potential for some extras at the set break.

Stay well out there folks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Deadvikes-yes, the bonus for that Road Trips release, 12/30/79 is also good. I have to say though, that although these, and 12/26/79 hit the spot for me, I am not too crazy about the other 1979 shows I have heard. Maybe I should listen to the 30 Trips one-10/27 again...but I have moved off centre, a bit and dropped in on the first cd of the October 1974 comp at the Winterland. Goodbye 1979, hello 1974.

Highly recommended book I am reading at the moment-"Hellfire" by Nick Tosches on Jerry Lee Lewis. It was written in 1982, so it's hardly hot off the presses - but it's an incredible book, even if ( shock, horror) you don't like Jerry Lee Lewis. He covered 5 or 6 songs, at least, that The Dead also covered.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Davrrock, you nailed that one , 12/30/79 was a great show , I was there. They had a volley ball game going before the show,Bill Graham's team againest some local heads. One guy got hit right in the face with the ball and was bleeding all over the place just like in Meet the Parents. My brother saw Jerry Lee Lewis at the Boarding House in S.F. back in the late 1970s, and he put on a fantastic show, he really rocked.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

43 years ago today, I sat in line for few hours in front of Winterland; great times. Bill Graham fed us with KFC buckets and chatted with us a bit. Show was't bad either :-) I think I mentioned this before, I never heard a crowd roar as loud as when they the first notes of China Cat rang out, louder than the Dark Star breakout the next year.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That makes three of us at Winterland 43 years ago on this date. 12/30 was none too shabby either. My last times to Winterland.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Not only we were at the same Dead shows, I also was at the Jerry Lee show at the Boarding House(77 or 78) your parents attended.
There are similarities between the Dead and JLL, as far as unpredictability. I caught Jerry Lee at Keystone Palo Alto in 1980, he clearly had no set list; he did two sets, played CC Rider in both sets, rockin' tempo for the 1st version then a slow grinding rendition for the later set. His banter with the audience was pretty hilarious too.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dave Rock
Thanks for the heads up on these Bear Family cds. I ordered them via Bear Family on the evening of 26/12 and they have just been delivered. From Germany to my hands in a little under three days. Obviously, I haven’t played them yet but the track lists look very good. As with all compilations I already own many of the tracks but others I haven’t got or were on albums that I have given away over the years. Looking forward to listening.

Great stuff going on in all these threads. Thanks to all for sharing. Really enjoying the banter from cousins, strider, billy and everyone else plus all the good music feeds in directions from some of the other threads. Most of you I will never meet but I can see a commonality and in a way there is a kinship of sorts that I find comforting in a period when being face to face has become elusive.

I am way jealous of the shows some of you have seen. ...but at least we get to listen to them via mostly high quality, well preserved recordings. A big thanks to Bear for that reminding us to hit record. I guess I got to see my own share of good shows too..

Really enjoying the banter though. It seems we get these placid, free flowing periods in between releases that are probably my favorite times to read and contribute.

Happy New Year all.. an early tip of the glass and pass of the pipe for what I hope will be a better year. Lets put this 2020 shit show in the rear view mirror. Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, happy, fun and prosperous path forward.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hell fire!

I'm reading Faulkner's The Hamlet right now. "Hell fire!" was apparently an everyday expression in the South in the late 19th century. Or at least in Faulkner's version of it. I've probably been on the wife's nerves of late becasue i've been going around the last week or so (in relative Covid-induced isolation) replying Hell fire! to most of what she says.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

And when is the second box set for 2020 coming?? 🤠

Hey, we are 30 days out from #37!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

and Bear Family...you need to find Jerry Lee Lewis "Live at The Star Club 1964" (Yes that Star Club) backed by the Nashville Teens of Tobacco Road fame...killer killer show (Pun intended)....and of course it's a Bear family release...

https://www.bear-family.com/lewis-jerry-lee-live-at-the-star-club-hambu…

Yes, I agree - Jerry Lee Live at the Star Club is a corker. Easily the best live one that I have heard by him.

Very appropriate, Slow Dog Noodle, that you should mention William Faulkner in the context of Hell Fire. One of my favourite American authors-and the tone of this biography by Nick Tosches seems to aim in the same direction as Faulkner.

I last saw Jerry Lee Lewis as recently as 2015 - still great. He seems to have a different head on his shoulders than the one he used to have. Looks like he's had a new one screwed on. Still compelling - he's one on his own alright. For support, he had both James Burton and Albert Lee, first Burton on his own, then a jam with the two of them. Jaw dropping.

Colin-the sound and sequencing on this first Truckers comp is immaculate. I have the one from 1970 as well, but I am saving that for a day or so - I wish I had bought The Bundle now.

I couldn't believe I had this album and didn't know it. Sounds like a copy right from the factory. I only listened to several songs, but it's amazing the energy he could build up in a two minute song! Kinda like the Ramones. You see the length of the songs and it throws you.

Also, I got email about the final days of Real Gone Music ultimate-things-got-to-go sale, they seem to have a fair amount of road trips available, vinyl of DP's (26 for 100 bucks?). Thought it worth mentioning.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

my wife was going thru some boxes in the closet and low and behold, out she pulls some shrooms. I could not believe it, no caps, but a bunch of powder and some stems (some quite big). I don't remember putting those away and she says "I did that" what a gal. I don't think we will consume them this year, this year has pretty much been a bummer and would hate to end it with another bummer. Last time I did dried shrooms, it only took one and there are about a dozen or so stems and a nice pile of powder. Groovy man

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yes, about that box...

I say, 1968!!!!!!

Complete shows or niblets n bitlets...

GD68!!!

Think of all that material recorded for AOTS

There's gotta be usable music still available for release

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

"Do you remember back in 1966"

An orgy of Grateful Dead 1966 done up right

I would buy that

user picture

Member for

7 years

I just bought the criterion complete Monterey pop fest blu-ray. I have never seen the complete version. It's a bit pricey at $50 but I am sure it is worth it. P.S.- I'm listening to fire up+ Merlin Saunders and friends

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

So would I buy that.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html