• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Blurting out "Hell Fire!" to everything the wife sez -- there's the match that'll ignite the covid-dry tinder! But what a way to go! Living alone, I occasionally talk to myself, of course. Lately, after I make a comment, I blurt out "You don't say" in a bad faux British accent. Sometimes I accuse myself of being a "twat-head." Cracks me up. (Fearful of what's next!)

And here's to the poster whose wife pulled a bag of shrooms from the storage box. It's a sign! I had to stifle an impulse to rip apart the boxes in my basement... Not to worry, I know where the stash is, and as soon as this broken leg heals completely in about 5 more weeks, I'm strapping on the shrooms and the snowshoes and hitting Kenosha Pass for a little peace overlooking South Park (the real one).

Cheers to all. gonna livestream some NRPS and Pigpen songs tomorrow night because I can.

Here's to 2021 and the incoming 9-8-73. My seventh show to see full or partial release.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

GTFO.

really?

Bummer. I read this as I listen to the GD perform Death Don't Have No Mercy at an Acid Test

I have Dark Star etc.

Not a fan of guest artists...David Crosby plays on Dark Star etc. Oh well. Not too bad.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 3 months

I'm new here. Don't know where else to ask this question. I've emailed customer service several times,with no answer. I want to subscribe to Dave's picks 2021. It includes free domestic shipping. But when I go to purchase it a $11.99 shipping charge is added. Does anyone know how to resolve this, or how to get a reply from customer service?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 3 months

In reply to by Wolfnap

Ok, scrolling further back I see others have asked about this shipping issue also. It appears this is still an unresolved issue. Do I just pay the shipping and hope it's resolved later?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Wolfnap

The subscription period will probably close soon.
Best to subscribe now and argue the shipping fee later.
Also, you missed the Early Bird pricing. Watch for that next year, no reason to pay full price.

Here’s the info from the 10/23 email.

—————
EARLY BIRD SUBS WILL END ON THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2020 AT 11:59PM PT.
DAVE'S PICKS SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS
Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
Free Domestic Shipping
Delivered Throughout The Year
Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
A savings of over $25.00 over purchasing a la carte

user picture

Member for

7 years

Sub. Now. You
will not regret it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

I happened to have played Fire Up+ a few days ago. It had been years since my last listen.

user picture

Member for

7 years

That cd brings back lots of memories of youth.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Ok. Thanks all for the advice/info. I'll probably do the sub anyway.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Wolfnap

WOLFNAP

The other date to note is January 8th. This is when the subscription window closes. The closing date was mentioned in the email from earlier in December when they announced DaP #38.

Billy - I think this was one of the few you didn't see-but I wonder if this stands out as a great show, New Tears (or Years I typed tears by accident) or not. I always enjoy it as much as any Fall 72 show. The other New Years shows do have a feeling of "you had to be there" a bit, just going off the recordings.

My cd copy of New Years 1972 also includes the sets by The Sons of Champlin-which I have never played, and the NRPS, which I played yesterday. I am not an expert on them by any means, but I liked this. Quite a long set for a support band-the second one at that-too. Must have been a great night out all in.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

One of the Great New Years Eve shows.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I notice that the two links to the subscription from the home page are currently giving a 404 Page not found error. It is still accessible from the STORE/DAVE PICKS route. Perhaps they’re fixing the domestic shipping problem?

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Today is my first show anniversary. I went to Winterland with my friend and his older brothers on 12/31/71 and had a great time. I got on the bus seriously after 2 shows at the Berkeley Community Theater in August 1972. After that, I attended every New Year's the band played: 72, 76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90, and the last GD New Year's performance, 1991. It became quite a tradition. As time went on, in the later 80's I shared these rituals with 20 good friends on the floor near the front. We snuck in champagne and I always had great anticipation for the NY countdown when the balloons would drop, the band would begin playing, I hugged my friends, kissed my girlfriend, and we all sipped champagne. Now on New Year's, I miss this great ritual.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

1/29/1967

Wowie Zowie

Sound quality will keep some away, but woooow...that Grateful Dead energy is hot

I wish wish wish a whole lotta shows from 65-68 had high quality recordings

I truly love this band

user picture

Member for

7 years

I'm sucking down some potato vodka dirty martinis. I know this is a 'who gives a shit' post but I cant find anything else to say. Happy new years in a few hours.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Carlo, I like your spirit..

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

I’m just focusing on 16oz cans of Bell’s Bright White.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

The dumpster fire will still be raging tomorrow morning/afternoon when we crawl out of bed.

But for now, it’s 12-31-78 Winterland.
Just finished Blues Brothers, now on to GOGD.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Champagne and Bob's stream, then 12/31/78 or 12/3187.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

Proves I am not the only derelict.

Sparkling Santa Rosa Pinot (rose) at midnight, a couple Imperial Stouts before.. a Dogs Head and a glass of scotch and 12/31/78 right now... for as long as I can stay awake.

And some legal weed, thanks to those above.

Happy New Year to all of you. A rainbow of fun in the middle of the shitstorm that was 2020. Many thanks for just being yourselves..

As you were.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!

Doc here,

Yes I have come out of hibernation, because it is the golden anniversary of that great great Grateful Dead year 1971. To honor, commemorate, and celebrate that year, I will be offering any and all 1971 recordings to any and all that are interested. No limits. You can ask now, you can ask on the anniversary of any shows, or you can ask at any time up to and including midnight on December 31, 2021. After that, only the Shadow knows………….

Friends, I understand that 1971 is not everybody’s cup of Grateful Dead kool-aid. Perhaps you know little about it, maybe want to dabble, merely poke around, or heaven forbid go all in. Let Doc be your guide. Haven’t led anybody astray for decades……

I will also be posting, on the show anniversaries, comments, recaps, and opinions on every 1971 show. That’s right, you have to put up with my rants, raves, and ramblings for an entire year!!! And, for any & all interested, the “1971 Project” is almost completed, and available upon request……

You know where to find me,

Doc
One may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star……………

My only NYE show...last minute decision...flew early morning from LAX to Oakland...scored a miracle ticket thanks to the genorosity of a new met friend who bought two from a scalper and gifted me the second tix...I tried to pay him and he said no, enjoy...and I did...I had a ten foot square tarp in my bag o' tricks and used it to keep the drizzle and rain off of me while in line...it was gladly held up by folks on the edge while it was needed for a bit...never had a peyote brunch before but it seemed to work just fine...after the show waited for the BART to go back to the airport...the SF side was packed with all kinds of craziness going on...after awhile it was quiet and strange, finally the Airport BART arrived and I was at the airport after a quick walk from the BART station...People later told me I shoudn't have done that walk through a dicey part of town but I guess the road trip godz keep an eye out for fools...was backhome in LA by 10:00 AM or so...had the obligatory menudo my Sis had made and dozed off and on with Bowl games on TV...fuzzy day indeed...

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Here's the thing: whatever fate bestowed upon that band -- Constanten gone, Mickey gone, Pig starting to get sick -- they played their music with gusto, no matter the band lineup.

Also, Nappyrags, if you get a chance, check out 12-26-81. Perhaps not much of a setlist on paper (though there IS a Candyman, Jer sings Big Boss Man and Phil leads an Eleven jam), but played with gusto. Marye said she attended. Like many heads "stuck" in the Rockies with no dough, I never did catch a hometown show, though I did get to a Phil & Friends show (my favorite lineup, the Quintet) at the Warfield at some point.

I too wish to be optimistic and the trend lines point toward a better year. But as the fly in the ointment, we've got a rough slog ahead for many moons. I'll weigh that weird measurement, "normalcy," when we're back rockin' together at live shows.

"We can share the women, we can share the wine"............

I've got a feeling twenty-one
Is going to be a good year
Especially if you and me
See it in together
So you think twenty-one
It could be good for me and her
But you and her, no never
I had no reason
To be over optimistic
But somehow when you smiled
I can brave bad weather
What about the boy?
What about the boy?
What about the boy?
He saw it all
You didn't hear it, you didn't see it
You won't say nothing to no one
Ever in your life, you never heard it
Oh, how absurd it, all seems without any proof
You didn't hear it, you didn't see it
You never heard it not a word of it
You won't say nothing to no one
Never tell a soul, what you know is the truth
Especially if you and me
See it in together
Especially if you and me
See it in together
I had no reason
To be over optimistic
But somehow when you smiled
I can brave bad weather
What about the boy?

Billy - nice one. Over 90 years old, that recording. Just goes to show that quality shines through the years.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I was wondering if there are any quality 67'-69' live shows with video? I was thinking of an ark box with a video supplement similar to the giants box but obviously not as high quality but more like super-8. Any video from this time is better then nothing.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

Look up 1968 columbia university

May 1968

About...20 minutes or so

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

You need the Bear Family A Shot in The Dark - Nashville Jumps box set; killer post-WWII blues and R&B, including the first BB King's recordings, Guitar Slim, Cecil Gant, and the best version ever of You Belong To Me by Helen Foster.
There's one on Ebay right now for $140, good price.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Mucho thanks for the tip...will look into that release...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Is there no end to the amount of great undiscovered music out there? Yes, there is no end.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Those of a certain age should remember Gerry and the Pacemakers, one of the Liverpool groups in the early 60’s. Liverpool soccer fans still have ‘You’ll never walk alone’ as their theme song.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html