• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I'd like to have seen them in a club-or at least indoors, I should have said.
The only Jefferson's I saw were Paul Kantner and David Frieberg, with various Jefferson Starships, between about 2000 and 2010. Solo set from Tom Constanten at one of them, too.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Good choice Proudfoot! Can't go wrong with 9-11 and 9-12 either. Would have made a perfect box set, but the shows are not in the vault as far as I know.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

I hereby declare that the Greek run in 81 counts as an example of "the good old days"

9 11 is great
9 12 is phenomenal
9 13 is excellent

Listen to 9 13 without looking at the setlist

and listen deeply

It has a special energy

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

1981, my favorite run at the Greek, 9/11/81 one of my all time favorite shows,, you kinda had to be there.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

10 1 94

Sounds really nice

Ah. It is the representative show for the year on 30 Trips

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Thanks for the vote! I'm going to re-read the first two chapters of V in one sitting each, then decide whether to continue. I think part of the problem is that I've been reading just a few pages each night before turning off the light, and it seems like I need to roll through a chapter all at once while I'm fully awake.

My Dead hiatus continues, but here's a new Last Five:
Stockhausen: Aus den sieben Tagen
Varese: Various works with Kent Nagano conducting
Bob Seger: Night Moves
Television: Marquee Moon
Patti Smith: Horses

Too bad about Sylvain Sylvain; that first New York Dolls album is killer.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Stockhausen
I have heard some Varese (Chicago had a track called "a hit by Varese", btw)
Television MM is awesome
Patti Smith Horses...I remember something about a parking meter...

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

A super cool and super spacey recommendation for any out here looking for a palette cleanser......I cannot recommend highly enough Les McCann "Invitation To Openness". The Lovers, the 26 minute track on side 1 should be required listening for any fans of live Dark Stars. The 2 long tracks on side 2 are also recommended listening. It is available on cd on the Water label, but not sure just HOW available it is. Anyway, I'm just killing time until Dave's 37.

Music is the best!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I don't visit Dead.net as often as I used to. As for me wanting to get a rise out of people, that's actually never been the case. Don't get me wrong, I will get down in the mud with anyone if they attack me personally, but the real purpose of my posts has always been to affect change by trying to get the attention of the powers that be. I think it's safe to say it never really worked.

As for me picking shows from the 80's & 90's, I'm not really knowledgeable enough to fill that role. I only listen to officially licensed Grateful Dead releases, but I once had a 3/30/89 Greensboro, NC bootleg that I thought was great. Although a friend once told me the audience recording that I had was much better than the soundboard recordings.

The reason I said I'm bored with the Grateful Dead is because I am. I own close to 2500 albums, EP's & box sets. 149 of those are Grateful Dead, not including JGB and other side projects. I've just reached the point in my life where I'd rather hear something new than something I've heard before. It doesn't mean I don't like the Grateful Dead. It just means I'm not the same person I was when they were still touring.

------

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by PatagonianFox

Quite the delayed reaction..
All is good, thanks for the reply.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Virgin listens today

30.5 years ago

Wow

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

He's gone, he's gone and nothin's going to bring him back, he's gone
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

can you listen to 7/22's Knockin' on Heaven's Door without getting verklempt?

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by simonrob

...for THE WIN!!!

here here

ONWARD!!!

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is one of those rare times when you do really hope ain't nothin gonna bring him back. I hope you're right.

What are we talking about here anyway? 😉I'm just here for the music. Carry on, carry on.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Nothing in his office became him like the leaving it.

Mr Ones-thanks for the recommendation-I'll check that out later.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Gonna take years of therapy to get over the last four years. Already getting better tho. Bob & Wolf Bros playing at the Clean Energy Inaugural Ball tonight: https://relix.com/news/detail/bob-weir-wolf-bros-michael-franti-and-mor…

Cheeto's now a hot potato – nobody wants him 'cept for a few 'losers' and 'suckers'. He's not even welcome in his new hometown in Florida tonight . . .

Onward.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was there for the first and second shows. Well played. Brent was playing in peak form then all of a sudden he was gone. Been a while since revsiting those recordings. The venue was brand new and kind of sucky. The pavilion was like the band playing inside a hollowed out skyscraper with terrible acoustics. The show's were good though. T

The next shows I caught after those were Compton Terrace the following December. The second night of that was pretty darn good too with Bruce onboard.

Incidentally, I hope to never see or hear another cheeto....if you know what I mean.... ;)

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…………….

January 21, 1971
Freeborn Hall, University of California, Davis, California

Set 1: Cold Rain & Snow-Me & My Uncle-Smokestack Lightning-Truckin'-Dire Wolf-Hard To Handle-Sugar Magnolia (missing from circulating copies)-Black Peter (missing from circulating copies)-Mama Tried-Around & Around-Cumberland Blues-Casey Jones

Set 2: That's It For The Other One >Cosmic Charlie-China Cat Sunflower >I Know You Rider-Uncle John's Band (missing from circulating copies)

One of the great unknown shows of 1971. Oh, to be stuck between the end of 1970 and Port Chester! Considering the taping technology available at the time, the longer (but still not complete) circulating version is a “not bad” audience recording that is actually “somewhat listenable”. The highlights include the coupling of Smokestack Lightning and Truckin’ (with Pigpen blowing some harmonica on both—a very rare occurrence), a typically hot 1971 Hard To Handle, a strong (and rare-for-early 71) complete Cryptical/Other 1/Cryptical suite, nicely transitioning into the only Cosmic Charlie of 1971. Plus rare performances of Dire Wolf and Around & Around (both played only three times in 1971).

A short soundboard portion (Mama Tried-Around and Around-Cumberland Blues-Casey Jones) does circulate. Wonder what happened to the rest, is it hidden somewhere in the vault? Worth a quick listen………….

For a more detailed analysis, see
http://deadsources.blogspot.com/2012/07/january-21-1971-freeborn-hall-d…

OK, I don’t listen to it often, but I’m glad I have it…….

Rock on,

Doc
Patience is passion tamed

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

simonrob, thanks for the clue,
really hope so too: gone for good or so

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

I've been listening to a lot of Garcia/Saunders lately and seems like many of the shows in the first half of 73 have a second guitarist. I know Tom Fogerty played with them sometimes. Was he the only one?

I really like his aggressive rhythm approach. His tone blended well and seemed to urge Garcia to be more muscular as well. Just curious if someone else played in there, as well. Historians?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I had my first cheeto in 20 years the other day, my teenage some brought some home. Nasty, can't get that damn orange stink of you for days.

Someone mentioned 10.1.94, that might be the best late show out there. 3.17.93 also good, any RFK show satisfies as well.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Nothings lasts. No man ever steps in the same river twice. Etc.

I’ve been on the bus and off the bus at various points in my life. Because people change, and life changes, and that’s how it is with buses: there’s always another one coming.

There was a time when I could just drop everything and drive 200 miles to see the Dead at the drop of a mushroom. Then life changed. Since then, I’ve gone through periods where I listened to the Dead quite often, and periods when I was mostly interested in other things. I’ve never been bored with them, but I have gone through times when I just didn’t have time. Especially since, for me, it’s all about full shows. I’ve never been all that interested in the studio recordings, and don’t even own some of ‘em, to be honest. And while a live comp like Europe 72 can be great in its way, there is nothing like hearing the full ebb and flow of a complete show. Which takes Time.

One good thing about 2020: I had time. “Working from home” means I can put on put on music while I’m “working,” and I can manage to listen to complete shows a couple times a week. Which brought me back on the bus in a big way.

This, too, shall pass, eventually. It’s predictable that, like the Fox said he done did, I will eventually shelve the Dead for a while and binge on Ornette Coleman or P-Funk or Bulgarian folk singers. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Because, isn’t music great?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nicely put.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today………….

January 22, 1971
Main Gym, Lane Community College, Eugene, Oregon

Casey Jones-Beat It On Down The Line-It Hurts Me Too-Me and My Uncle-Cold Rain and Snow-Hard to Handle-Brokedown Palace-Johnny B. Goode-China Cat Sunflower> I Know You Rider

Benefit for the Eugene White Bird Clinic. Fifty years on, the clinic is still functioning. If you can, support their work………….

If you like sonic challenges, maybe this is the one for you. This looks like first set material, and all that commonly circulates. Is it even in the vault? Badly damaged/degraded soundboard, did somebody spill their electric kool-aid on it?

Attention, Chuck Berry fans. The first documented version of Johnny B Goode by the Dead was on 9/7/69, although that gig may not have been a full Grateful Dead band performance. Following that, it apparently was not performed again until this gig in 1971.

It appears that a big chunk of this show is missing, so hard to judge based on only what we have here. There are a few bright moments, but “sonic issues” make it a very difficult listen. Unless you’re a completist, you should probably skip this one…………………..

Rock on,

Doc
As soon as I hear music, something in me starts to vibrate

Sound quality isn't pristine, but you can hear and feel the good energy.

I would love love love for the 2nd set "to come up soon for air", so we can fill the air with it.

Probably one of the ones that got away. Sigh.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Just a week away from the official release and it still seems not a single person has so much as gotten a shipping notification, putting us again in the awkward spot of "let's hope it'll come by Friday...or sometime anyways". I can't wait to hear this show and all the bonus material on it as well but let's just hope that Dave's Picks 38 won't be treated the same way *knock on wood*. I need me that bonus disc :)

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Hammerin Hank, may the 4 winds blow you safely home.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kid

One of the greatest i ever saw...RIP Hank Aaron...Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente...my all time faves and my personal Mt Rushmore of non Dodger players...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Just looked at my receipt for DaP subscription & in regard to vol. 37 it says it will be released on 1/29/21. Usually at least a couple of weeks before the release date, we get an announcement, the Dave video gushing about the release.... But thus far: nada.

Did I miss something here? Maybe an update on the release date? ...

Just curious or anxious about this release ... or both!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Nappy,I was a huge Dodger fan back in the 1960s. I used to listen to the Dodgers on KFI at nighttime when I was a kid, radio station came in later at night. Sandy Koufax was my favorite player, when he was at his best I think he was the greatest pitcher of all time.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by HaGizMo

HAGIZMO

Read the introductory comment. They are releasing the non-subscription sales on 29th January, this is a change from previous years. I’d expect the video introduction to come out then. Who knows when they’ll start shipping the subscription copies?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Aw man RIP Hank. Still the home run king in my book. Wish he didn't spend his twilight years knowing a cheater took away his mantle. After all of the crap he had to tolerate while breaking the record, he deserved better.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Did Will Farrell pass?
(couldn't let go of the Old School reference..)

Cause of death has not been disclosed. Think of the internet as a multi-headed, multi-assed serpent when it come to truth or reality.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I do, very much, believe in the science and effectiveness of vaccines.

As for his cause of death.. give it two or three weeks and we will know. ...and the internet will still be divided.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I think it is the other way around. Subscribers (Dap 37) will be released on or before 1/29 and non-subscribers can order on the 29th and get them according to the mail service. Subscribers will get them first.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…………….

January 23, 1971
Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada CANCELLED SHOW

The exact circumstances of the cancellation remain unknown at this time. A handbill for the show does exist.

Rock on,

Doc
Yesterday is a cancelled check. Today is cash on the line. Tomorrow is a promissory note

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

I think we agree. I said that the non-subscribers can order from 29 Jan and the opening message which I referenced does say that subscribers should see their orders first. My final, perhaps, poorly expressed sentence was to indicate that we don’t know when the shipping will start.

I’m getting a little stir crazy because we are not allowed to leave the house except for essential purposes so I might be less capable of people interactions than usual. Stay well, stay safe and listen to lots of music.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

"It's so good... once it hits your lips it's so good..."

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

The methodology is described at the top of this page.

Exact dates not provided.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html