• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I did attend Watkins Glen, close up on Jer's side. Caught the soundcheck lying on my sleeping bag, head resting on a gallon jug of cool water, tripping my 15-yr-old ass off on mescaline and LSD and some weird opiate nicknamed Numero Uno. Good weather. Had fun.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 3 months

Is it not showing up at the $99.98 price for anyone else?
I keep getting the $115 for the presale price when it says it should be $99.98

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

The $99.98 is for the Early Bird pricing, it ended on Nov. 11th. The $115 is what it costs for the subscription now.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 3 months

I've been emailing customer service for a month with questions about the 2021 Dave's picks subscription and supposedly free shipping. All I receive back is a generic response

"Thank you for contacting Dead.net customer service.

We are currently experiencing a surge of emails and cannot provide you with an individualized response at this time.

However, we have assembled some Frequently Asked Questions below, along with a link to our contact form (should you require further assistance).

We hope that the answers below will help with any questions that you may have.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Dead.net Customer Service"

Has anyone received an actual answer to a customer service inquiry?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

send me a PM with all this and I'll see what the Doc says.

Wolf.. while you are logged in, from most forms in dead.net on the upper right hand corner of the screen in your user icon. To the right of that is a drop down arrow. When you click that arrow you get an option that says "message" This should bring you to a place where you can send personal messages. Then select "Write Message" and you should be up and running.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

where is this quote from?

identify it accurately, and you will win...

"nothing but nothing"

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Hi Carlo,

There's a nice article on the deadessays website that catalogues all the pre-1974 video material: http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2009/08/pre-74-dead-films.html

TLDR version: there's more than you might think, but it's bits and pieces: a song here, another part of a song there, some of it synced to the video some not. Certainly no complete pre-'70 shows, with the possible exception of Woodstock, and I think we all know why that hasn't been put out.

Personally, I think the Woodstock video is worthwhile if only for the comedy: that part where some rando, tripping balls, grabs the mic during Lovelight and proceeds to lay upon the audience what in his mind is apparently a brilliant epic poem but which to earthbound ears sounds like rambling nonsense about a "third coast." Blows my mind that, to this day, nobody has ever figured out who the guy was. Eventually, Ken Babbs waves a joint in front of the guy's face and wanders off with Ken, and Pigpen resumes command. But what a weird moment. Hilarious, if you're in the right mind.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Thanks for the cool site of vids of pre-70s shows. The viola lee 6/18/67 from Monterey pop is great. I ordered the criterion complete Monterey pop fest last week and it should arrive soon. I'm glad they decided to include the viola on this edition. Thanks again, crow. P.S.- thanks proudfoot for the 68' columbia U search. I was 1 month old on this date.

user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

Hey, was reading your post about early video.

When you get that Criterion Collection will you confirm if the GD Viola Lee is on there?

I'd appreciate it, I've got Jimi, Otis & Monterey Expanded. But curious what's new about this collection.

What's been released is Great, the audio commentary and interviews, are fascinating.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Got it. Thank you.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Wolfnap

CD marked 7/1/66
GD
then
some old old old Jerry n pals with Jerry on banjo

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Well, it looks like that new Jerry print "Stella Blue" sold out in about three minutes flat! I haven't seen a frenzy like this since the Europe '72 big box. Anybody out there lucky enough to snag one?

user picture

Member for

7 years

I will let you know for sure about that criterion Monterey pop viola lee as soon as it arrives.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

PROUDFOOT

There was an email yesterday from the Jerry Garcia site offering a limited edition print. Presumably it sold out quickly.

Can I say that to paraphrase a great song I’ve got Georgia on my mind. Thanks to everyone who voted.

user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

Thanks Man, I appreciate it!

I know what has been released is a great collection and Monterey Pop has always been a fascination of mine.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by The Good Ole G…

One of my fav's... I was so happy when they started playing it again and I finally got to see it live.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Just so we agree this is a completely apolitical forum where we never mention or discuss polly ticks.

Just say: "Georgia" or, alternately, "Ray Charles."

Hallelujah!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

They used to say that if a woman wanted to become a Ray-lette, she had to let Ray.....

Hand of God or total creeps-ville?

Let's make that a rhetorical question!

user picture

Member for

3 years 4 months

Posting from UK any idea what cost is for postage to here? Imagining customs will sting badly!

From memory late last year when I ordered the early bird subscription the charge for postage to the UK was c. $12.99. For the 2020 deliveries I was charged c. £4 VAT and £8 Royal Mail handling charge on two of the four deliveries. Of course, the UK rules have changed since 1st January so dead.net are supposed to charge the VAT up front and then hand it over to the UK tax authorities. I have no idea if they are doing this because I haven’t ordered anything this year yet. If the VAT is charged up front then there should be no Royal Mail handling charges. If you want the 2021 discs then I suggest you start the order process and see what extra charges are added. You can always choose not to complete the order if it looks to be too expensive. If you do this please let us know what happens since I’d be interested to know before my next box set order, not that it will stop me ordering. The current anarchy in the US might interfere with the ordering procedure if the country goes up in flames :))

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

bizarre

low point

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

double post

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Antidote for today: DaP 13..."whatever is happening in the world wars, kidnapping...this is a peaceful Sunday with the Grateful Dead"
Followed by American Beauty

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

On the Mall at the Clinton Inauguration concert in January ‘93. “America the Beautiful.” It was sublime.

But As Lou Reed sang: “Those were different times.”

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

American Beauty is in my opinion their most spiritual album, it has a soothing, calming quality, that even my non-Deadhead wife understands.
Switching tv off and listening to the first bars of Box of Rain was the best remedy for today's depressing events.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Every year people come on and ask why the subscription button doesn’t work. This is because they have missed the deadline. If you want to subscribe for the 2021 DaP series then you have until 11:59PM PST Friday 8th January. If you want the subscription then don’t delay. You have the option to try to buy only those discs that interest you and given the higher number being produced these days you should have at least a couple of days to place the order, but there are no guarantees.
RECENT LISTENS
I have been slowly working my way through the Bear Family ‘Truckers, Kickers Cowboy Angels’ compilations only interrupted by the Ali Akbar Khan release by Bears Sonic Journals. The only disappointment I’ve had with the compilations is that the 1969 set is only one disc so they haven’t included any tracks from ‘California Bloodlines’ by John Stewart. I’ll have to find my cd and play it all! While I’m doing that I’ll find my Townes van Zandt discs as well since the compilations have reminded me how good he can be.
Only 3 weeks to the release of DaP #37 and let’s hope for a box set announcement real soon. Stay safe. Stay healthy and try to hang around for the bounty to come.

After listening to the recent Garcia Live, which I love, I decided to listen to something else from the same area. Chose 9-24-71, my version of which has filler from 12-28-72 that happens to be Expressway >spacey jam > instrumental Georgia on My Mind. Not as polished as it could be, but certainly beautiful. Would have loved to hear Garcia signing on this, but don't believe he ever did. Anyway, check it out.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

...10/12/68 & 10/20/68. So greasy I had to wash my hands. Twice!!

user picture

Member for

7 years

This is from the 2017 50th anniversary criterion complete Monterey pop fest version with a huge improvement in sound and visual clarity from the last one you have. https://youtu.be/9IFifxmhX0k. P.S.-this clip is cut by four minutes for some reason but the one on the 50th is 15 minutes long. The same video but longer.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html