• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

He certainly is a game changer, VGuy. He is one of three guys up for the Vezina Trophy as top dog goalie, and I think it would be spooktacular if he won! You’re right - we have a series, same with Tampa Bay & Isles.

BTK - I am just reading Bill Graham’s bio, and I’m at the part where he talks about the closing of Winterland. I would have loved to have heard a show or two there, or either of the Fillmores, or the Carousel Ballroom. Legacy concert halls.

Big thanks to whoever from this site talked VGuy off that ledge at Caesar's Palace last night. Assuming it was AJS or Mike, anyway.. a big thanks from all of us.

Back to your regularly scheduled Cumberland Blues.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Nothing more needs to be said.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I saw an article in my newspaper today that some scientists have named a new species Pristimantis ledzeppelin or Led Zeppelin’s Rain Frog.
Where’s the love for the GOGD?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Gary, CEDIA= custom electronics design and install association...
Boss used to take us all kinds of places, them we merged and went corporate and we go nowhere : (
Homeless Joe was this cool black dude who works that corner. But rather than just pan handle, he liked to try and help you in some way rather than just take, a symbiotic relationship. I heard him give some of our crew restaurant tips and one of my associates who knew about such things said his advice was spot on! He turned me on to a handy little convenience store that I wouldn’t have otherwise found, so I bought him a meal. I’ve never seen a person j walk/cross a street through traffic as well as homeless Joe (that’s what he called himself) Unfortunately, there were many other beggars that were not like him, and they seem to come outta the woodwork.
The GT was a cool old place though, loved parting on the pool/roof!

NAMM, always wanted to go, never did, bet it was fun!

HOCKEY
Yes, price was good, but it seemed eerily similar to AVs. The slight mojo shift; the Habs seemed to come out skating harder then I’ve seen, while the Knights seemed ever so slightly less jacked than usual. And like the AVs tge game could of easily gone the other way, so yeah, good hockey eh!

GD is at the top of my list of great bands, of course

I do occasionally listen to stuff other than GD for palate cleansing purposes

Plasmatics (1st LP & some of Beyond the Valley of 1984) AA NEE SO SHEE!!!
Swans
Melvins
Kraftwerk
Bad Brains
China White
GBH
Motorhead (of course)
13th Floor Elevators
The Exploited
Mothers of Invention
Zappa (some, definitely not all)
T Rex

others from time to time

coming back to work after a couple days off is challenging

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by JimInMD

You do know why the box hasn't been announced don't you? They won't do a thing until the playoffs are over!!! Enough already. Hockey in late June wtf? Go back to 6 teams already

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by JimInMD

Yeah I'm from Boston originally, what's it to ya

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by snafu

moved here in '78 just in time to prep myself to see every Greek, Frost, Kaiser, Civic Center, show they played. And a lot more that they wiped out when they put this new God forsaken site update in. I'm not gonna try and remember them all again. And forget the east coast shows. I don't even remember living there

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by snafu

Yeah, that post holiday depression is a bitch!
After six months of no work, it’s been three weeks and I still have it! ; )

SNAFU, you might be on to something as Dave is Canadian!
and I think playoffs are a national holiday?

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by snafu

Played a little bit as a kid. Predators fan but channel that shows them has dispute with cable provider and dropped them. Do have a local college that plays good hockey and a minor league team that plays well also.

My dealio, I wish the Stanley Cup was the week after the Super Bowl. Why start in the fall with playoffs in the summer. Nothing like watching hockey when it is 100 degrees outside. Wonder if any others feel the same way?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Icecrmcnkd - sorry to read that you have had some problems with the above album. Mine arrived this morning, and so far, I have been lucky. I have played the first two LPs, and there hasn't been anything wrong. Hopefully, you will be able to get the sticking and jumping sorted out...its a great sounding record.

I remember when I had problems with a new cd player last year, and SimonRob ( I think) suggested it could have been due to the fact that I had gone for a high end player. There seemed to me to be some truth in this. The shop who sold me the cd player replaced it with an identical model, which works like a dream....almost. It has recently started taking longer to initial cds, and they can take longer to start than they should. Anyway....I wondered if your turntable was high end ,and had increased sensitivity as a result. Mine sounds great...its a Pro-Ject, but its not the most expensive model out there.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

probably not a soundboard available

but I wish there were

6/17/94: it rained like a mofo (wet and cold), but I enjoyed the show none-the-less. Pretty, pretty good for 1994.

CAPTCHA after every single post?

They are trying to drive us away. Gardening aprons and now this.

grr.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I will reply in full in due course. Right now I'm preparing to watch football (soccer, right). European Championship 2020 (delayed) - Netherlands v Austria.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Proudfoot, they have a copy of 6/17/75 in the vault. So, I'm. sure we will see it released one day, probably for the Blues For Allah 50th. Let's hope they release the whole show and. don't chop it up.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

Awesome I am sure it is go Nederlands!!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

guess you can see why I was upset yesterday.

We just need to watch and hope for a little moderation and self-correction. We tried to warn them years ago about all of the hackers, now we seem to be thrown in with the hackers instead of part of the family trying to push this old ship forward to the new generation. Shoot, and I aint even old school head like others.

g

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

GF
I watched the last game of the 2010 Stanley Cup finals between Flyers and Blackhawks on a giant tv in an outdoor patio in Aruba. Wearing shorts and no shoes with the water and beach in the background. The combination of summer and hockey made for a oddly memorable experience. Would have been much better if the Flyers had won.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

I should just avoid coming here so much, but it's my little hit of distraction crack. Plus, I have a thing for GD.

I have told myself to limit myself to one visit per day. The Captcha stuff _each time_ might be the grain of rice that tips the scales.

Identify bridges, Deadhead! Identify them! "has anybody seen the bridge?" "where's that confounded bridge?" Please add Led Zeppelin and the Doors to my earlier list of palette cleansers.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

If I have my mind right the list of old schoolers here:

For number one, and forgive me if I leave some out, we have Nappy and Bolo or Bolo and Nappy. Fight amongst yourselves. Bolo said he was out walking with his mom when they came across the Human Be-In so that is January 1967. He also stated that he was intrigued (if memory serves) with what was going on but was a young lad. He also said his first show was Winterland 1973, cant remember which show. While Nappy saw his first show in 1969 (or was it earlier than that). Obviously some serious cred for both.

Then, I would assume is SimonRob with Bickershaw E72 for which he wrote the liner notes.

Then, I am assuming ForensicDoc with his November 30th (think I have that right Doc) Dicks Picks 14 concert.

Now I would assume BTK would be right in there, maybe even a little earlier.

Hmmm, I know I am missing some that saw pre-hiatus. Please speak up or correct this humbled servant.

Think it was SNAFU today mentioned his pedigree but maybe his first show was Boston some time.

I know there many others, I consider myself to be second generation some may reckon time as third generation but at least I got on board.

But as Jeff Smith always says, Onward, let's push this space ship Onward to infinity and beyond!

Edit: Or, at least , the Bus did come by!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

and this goes to Keithfan also. I have a little ADD, very introverted, usually in my head. So when you wrote about Bridges and re Captcha, I didnt even tie in with the Zep remark. All, please forgive me as I am slow, just like the Mouse Avatar, a fine outstanding slack-jawed yokel.

With Keith the other day, it took me a while to get your subject as the response to the Chemistry call I gave. I didn't even think of my subject line as a call. It is I was just thinking of Chemistry when the melody came into my head.

All of these things relate to perception. I am slow to perceive but I chew cud a long time which leads to some depth of understanding.

Oh well, Ramble On.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I reported my broken Dave's glass to damage report and just got an email that a replacement is en route. Fingers crossed that the second time is the charm. Bubble wrap people!! Please and thank you.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

6-17-75 is listed as being among the returned Betty Boards, the implication being that the soundboard is in the vault.

This show is special to me because in summer '75 (I've told this story before), a friend arrived from California with a large tape reel. We located a playback machine and hooked up a cassette deck and listened to and copied a killer audience tape of this show, just recently performed a month earlier. We were starved for live Dead so we busted out the Thai stick and grooved out.

Yes, I believe this is the only possible companion to the 50th Blues for Allah.

That is all.

your replacement will be packaged inside a Stanley Cup for your GKs.

I will be in Las Vegas next week, but my wife _would not_ approve of contacting someone from online.

I understand it will be HOT. If you hear an ongoing, high-pitched screaming whine, that's me.

I was in LV in June 94 when it was 115 or something at the Sam Boyd Silver Bowl. That was horrendous (the heat and the show on 6/25...I missed 6/26). How do you LIVE there?

I plan on mornings in the pool, afternoons inside AC, nights out and about (for short periods of time).

6/17/75 one of the returned Betty shows?

:)))

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....screw the glass. I'm keeping that Cup!
117 degrees yesterday. 114 today. 111 tomorrow. Things are looking.....up!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Audio-Technica AT-LP-120-USB turntable.

Not super high-end but also way better than the suitcase turntable I played my Looney Tunes records on as a kid

This turntable has a lot of adjustments that can be made to the arm so maybe I just need to tweak things a bit to stop the skipping at the beginning of the album.
Once it settles in the sound of this new release is quite nice.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Without humidity it will feel like 85.
You’ll be fine.

And, you don’t have to let your wife know that you partied with Vguy.

Unless he get’s you arrested and you need your wife to post bail for your.

Extra reCRAPTCHA?
A few days ago it was letting me skip the quiz.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

OK after reading numerous comments about this stellar show, I finally hooked it up last night for a good listen. That second set rips! Awesome sounding FOB! I'm ready for this one to be released, also.

I fixed a typo in a previous post and had to take 3 quizzes to move forward.

I suspect that the different appearance of the site last week was due to the scrubbing and cleansing that was going on.
Sadly, it’s probably a knee-jerk reaction to the keys to the vault being stolen in a just detected hack from weeks ago.
Now we know why we haven’t received a seaside chat about the hypothetical upcoming Box, the recording of the chat was lost along with all the releases that had been prepared for the next 5 years…..

Unfortunately, dead net was not on Biden’s list to Putin of things to stop hacking….

No need for Count Vlad to tunnel into the vault.
He just hacked his way in.

OK, cramming for my next reCRAPTCHA quiz.
Crosswalks, bridges, traffic lights,…..

Boston Music Hall '71. Not a clue which one, didn't know it would be important to me 50 years later lol.
Damn when I saw the email I was hoping I was wrong about the playoffs

before the crazy heat in the Silver Bowl they played Seattle and Eugene. Nice and cool, even rain for the 1st night of Eugene. Photos of Jerry playing in leather bomber jacket I think from 6/13. memorial coliseum in seattle was an intimate venue for the time - show was GA and you could walk anywhere i think not many people. and 6/13 is an excellent show. I mean it. Huge Scarlet-Fire to open Set II. And set ends with a fantastic, and I mean fantastic, Morning Dew. Jerry crushes it. Unfortunately the only SBD source for the show is the 1st 1/2 of Set II. 6/14 is an unusual set list but really well played, another fun show. During That Would Be Something I was thinking that Hunter wrote some lyrics that even '94 Jerry couldn't forget - didn't realize it was a McCartney tune from "bowl of cherries". Oh - the second Samba - I really dug it, its a super solid Vince song (Hunter lyrics no less) - change my mind!! 1st night of Eugene was the only night show of the 3 Eugene shows. I missed it for work - goddang it - the only NW show I missed from '90 on. My friend got dropped in the eye - it had been awhile but he was like ah yes I remember this. It poured rain. He loved it. Maybe best show of the 3 in Eugene that year. Alas, no circulating SBD for that night.

Life long Blackhawks fan here. fun to see all the hockey talk. didn't really follow this season much cause my energy was necessarily elsewhere. all I can say is may the best team take the cup

recaptcha has been green lighting me as of late - just get the green check mark. what i saw during the weird times on this site literally had me not logging in.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

That’s uninhabitable.

RIP - Frank Bonner. One of the most underrated sitcoms of all time.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

yeah this definitely needs to be released - as suggested maybe with the Blues for Allah 50th.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Add me to the list, bought the first album on day of UK release, saw them at Hollywood Newcastle under Lyme (in the summer time, Mungo Jerrys breakout would you beleive, lol), and by the time 72 rolled around, had convinced a fair few friends to get on the bus with me, Dark Star night at Wembly, Bickershaw ( hi Simon!) and 3 Lyceum shows.
Also saw 2 of the 3 Ally Pally Wall of Sound shows on their next visit, but was very disapointed, something didnt click, they were demonstrably a lesser band in my opinion, I put it down to the coke, this is the moment my interest began to wane for a long while, I also hated Mars Hotel for the generic songs, Loose Lucy, US Blues. Look at the words and compare with anything off Workingmans...your milage may vary!

user picture

Member for

8 years

...greetings my Grateful brothers and sisters here in “dead land.” Heard some grateful news on some upcoming releases from the ‘Good Ol’ Grateful Dead’ in 2021, included info on the Series Dave’s Picks 39 & the next Boxset as well as some other Primo projects coming to life!!!!”
More info is coming soon my fellow grateful travelers!
To start things off , Dave’s Picks #39 has no filler
And the original release date of the Boxset was pushed back due to “ uncontrollable effects caused by the virus which effected production, timing and schedule on certain upcoming Musical products & GD product releases. The Boxset #9 #9 #9, The Grateful Dead has no control over certain areas,just like a lot of other Company/ Organizations ect. what we ,the Fans are all experiencing now as well. But I believe everyone is gonna be jumping up and down in pure unsound joy & Graditude !!! Very shortly the plane is coming to a landing ;)
I’ve been listening to Dave’s Picks #5 for 3 days straight! Holy Toledo Batman! This has to be one of my favorite Pick in the Dave’s picks series So far !!! Wow ! I’m just loving everything about this performance and this timeline of the Grateful Dead era in history! Keep on trucking folks!
***PS, the second disc alone from Dave’s picks # 5 will steal your face right off your head!
Guaranteed! Primo Audio for Dave’s #5! Sounds so clean and beautiful! 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💀🌹

Have a grateful day everyone.
Take care and Rock On! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I was waiting patiently for news on upcoming Dead releases, and now we have it. You may not believe this, but……Dave’s 39 will have……NO BONUS MATERIAL!! As this is the case with 90% of the Dave’s releases, I was stunned.
And now finally, news on the box!! Wait for it……it’s delayed!! Holy shit, I just dookied my drawers. As always, we owe LoveMyGurrl a SUPER large debt of gratitude for digging this revelatory information out of the depths of silence.
I have a scoop of my own……tomorrow will be….. Wait for it…… Saturday!!

Enough of this delusional GARBAGE already.

But it’s a dry heat!
Was in Phoenix once, before cell phones, 115, needed to use pay phone, sneakers melting to the hot asphalt...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The Box announcement will come before next Wednesday’s Shakedown Stream.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It’s a cool 104 degrees here at 5000’ in southwest New Mexico.
The hottest summer I ever spent was a winter in Phoenix.” I said that.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

A big shout out to Bailey Quarters (Jan Smithers) too, who is still among us, thankfully!
What. A. Dish!!! It was a very funny show, but had it been filmed in Mandarin, I would have still watched it to see the lovely Ms Quarters!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Box announcement and issues with website has to do with that purchase. If I am correct Rhino, controlled by Warner, now controlled by Discovery. They really need to use a white listing (websites with strong security and registered) instead of security by black listing (unsecure, dark web) sites that should be banned. That is all for now. More in a bit.

Loni Anderson was supposed to be the looker, but Jan Smithers had a certain attractiveness that mere mortal teen boys like me could aspire to get with.

Yeah. WKRP. The outro song is great.

Misheard Lyrics:
Back to the boys didda, I like to have you here now
Zam to the bar in a room on me, uh-huh
But, we're looking far and I'm, I'm happy here to hear now
I need a woman through it, in a woman up-a here, uh-huh
Original Lyrics:
Mad tooth bar chin-up, box zing outta her hair now
Still do the modern day whack-a-mole ditto-o-o
What's that? Good bartender, i'da hat-beer 'n' head out
I said I wouldn't do it if a poodle had a lid on

I wonder if that poodle was actually the Yellow Dog...

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

PF - Ms Quarters was definitely that sweet gal next door, whereas the Lonnie Anderson gal was the type that gave you the number of the local pizza joint for a phone number if you asked for a date.
A really funny show, great cast, I hadn’t thought of in years until hearing the unfortunate news about Frank Bonner. RIP, FB, you made us laugh!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html