• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

....it was a scam call. Figures.
Family reunion happening today and tomorrow. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and 2nd, 3rd cousins all conglomerating on Shakedown Street.
We were all hoping for a game 7 tomorrow. Hopes dashed. Time to segue into a new plan.
My uncle flew in from Virginia and is now not feeling well. Didn't get his vaccine because stubborn. Tales of the Airports are atrocious.
That sucks. Delta version of the Rona is creeping in.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...aka ,- “Skull Fuck”!!!
Record company wouldn’t let that happen! So I refer to it as the Grateful Dead intended & wanted! ‘SkullFuck’
PS- contains the last Fillmore west concert performances! Recorded on 7/2/71
* Excellent performance caught on tape from 1971 included with CD Release of the 50thAnniversary release! Love the art production team on this release or should I say inside i🙏❤️💀🌹
***...I also love Bob weir’s dedication of this performance to ‘The Bear!!!!
“Primo Audio Recordings for both the Full Album / original.
Plus I’m grateful for some more music recordings during this time come back home snd grow into a grateful release & Album!

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by That Mike

An amazingly beautiful production on all counts for this release. Play it loud!
Have a grateful day everyone, peace be with you all! 🙏😎💀🌹
*PS - Garcia 16 volume!
‘Madison Square Garden,
*** November 15th 1991; Jerry Garcia Band
The recordings are beautiful!!!im so grateful for the bonus material. 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

I saw Tedeschi Trucks within the last 10 days. As always, a ripper. Why more people dont like them I dont know. Derek and Susan's dedication to bringing back soul music, old classics reinterpreted is awesome in my book. Can't wait for the next time they come by. I could have easily seen 5 shows, but I just don't travel like I did previously.

That is all...for now.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

is discussed in this month's The Absolute Sound. American Beauty 50th in mentioned. I may not be "so wise in the ways of science", but this short read is explanatory.

How Crow posted about the quality of modern equipment can bring old recordings back to life.

Then Brownie posts about plangent processes.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Dooood, around here, the word on Tedeschi-Trucks has long been out and they pack Red Rocks like a sardine tin. That is far and away my favorite current touring band and has been for years -- with many close runner-ups, such as Los Lobos. I typically catch both RR shows each summer.

Years ago -- maybe 8-10 -- we saw them in an auditorium at Colorado College in Colo Springs with maybe 600-800 people max. I used to see Derek and his band at The Gothic Theater, which holds 1,100 and you could walk up to the lip of the stage with your drink and watch Derek all night long. Then, of course, there was a decade of ABB shows with Derek and Warren at the helm with our beloved Gregg Allman roaring the blues.

Stoked to hear the live Layla set by the T-T Band.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Compendium hates on it
F the compendium

It's well worth a solid listen

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Yo!! Rockers!!!

If I'm not mistaken, Phil Lesh does the Other One dedication at the final Fillmore West show..............

Rock on,

Doc
The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.....

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

I understand them at Red Rocks and that they have pockets of love and pockets of indifference. Thing is where there was indifference, more people are learning. This show was a 3,000 capacity due to virus. It was a sellout, but there is no way we will know till next time what could have been. When I saw them at this same facility in 2015, there wasn't but around 1,100 or so. That was the concert hall portion. By the time they come back I expect it will be sellout at arena, or maybe the new amphitheater they are building here.

Yeah and I loved the Allmans in the different iterations I saw. of course, no Duane. One great one was a weird one. Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring tearing it up, just after Dickey moved on. I think this latter version was incredible. Still Warren, Betts, and Allen Woody were awesome also. Then one night where Derek was sick so it was Warren, Jack Pearson, O'teil.

In 2015, I took my lunch break and went to the concert hall. Staff let me go into the hall. They were doing sound check of the system/hall, but with no players. It was all recorded music, so I wondered if it was the concert from the time before. I talked to the PA guys for a few minutes. Then spent about 30 minutes talking to Derek's father. He is a great guy. He was getting merch stuff all ready. Bought an autographed poster from him for $35. Dang, still havent put that in a frame yet. Unsigned poster that night went for 40, and signed ones went for $75.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

6-21-71 China Cat>IKYR
It’s on vinyl with the “Long Strange Trip” Amazon bonus vinyl release.

Listening to it now.

So, we know that at least that part of the show is in the vault.

There's a crazy strange coincidence you're now involved with icecrmcnkd. I just read your post about that China Rider from 6/21/71. I just so happened to listen to it for the first time since it came out on The Long Strange Trip CD the same day you posted your comment. I mean that is some rare shit.

TTB & Los Lobos at Red Rocks late July 2022...most tix are sold out already though...might have to catch it elsewhere...

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

So, Nappy, I had tics to the 2020 RR shows with TTB, but of course that evaporated. I didn't want some promoter owning my ticket money so I immediately got a refund -- future uncertain.

Well, these days, it looks like live music is going the way of pro sports, in that the standard ticket procedure has been hijacked by middlemen. Most of the tics for 2021 and 2022 at RR indeed are sold, but available from mega-scalpers for way too much money. It's a rotten turn of events that will shut out the longtime (read: getting ancient) fans such as myself. I've already acknowledged to myself that I've seen my share of high dollar shows, meaning I paid $150 to see Derek and Clapton, Clapton and Winwood, that sort of thing. Kicked myself for not seeing McCartney for $150 in Denver (10 years ago). Well, these days, I'm seeing local bands and friends play outside on patios and such. I have a $50 ticket to see Los Lobos in Boulder in March 2022! I had tics to see them March 14, 2020, at the Boulder Theater, but that (rightly) got canceled.

I'm not ready to retire from semi-large rock 'n roll events, but they seem out of reach anymore, financially. And, as noted on this forum many times, the kids just talk and talk and then use their cell phones to show everyone they were at the hip event, even though they're not listening. So, life takes a turn.

I hear ya HF. Take it your not going to D&C at Fiddlers?
Another new ticket buying annoyance, you have to buy them so far in advance!

I skipped D&C, not sure I’d be ready for crowds yet, especially the kind sure to be there you described.
Remember Folsom the first year was half empty, but 2020 I believe they sold it out!
Saw exactly what you speak of get worse from year to year as the crowds grew...
Also, Denver in October...could be awesome, or not so much...would they still have a show after a foot of snow?
Biggest reason not going, no peeps. None of the gang is going and they live far enough away that it’d be a hassle for someone to drive, but don’t want to hotel etc. Plus, we usually stop risking the White Ribbon of Death from then until spring unless we have to.
Nope, couldn’t see spending that much cash for something five months away, that chances are fair I wouldn’t end up going...
Bummed I missed the Wolfs at Vail recently, but too soon and betting that crowd would of been the “I’m at one of the first show” bunch, rather than heads...
But!,
Did score Phil tix for Vail in September, so hopefully that works out. Figure if I change my mind I could sell em easy enough. Ahem, Wish I knew what the lineup was though...

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

It is indeed a shame that concert tickets have gone up in price. I think I paid $5 the first time I saw the Stones in the early '70s. The last time they toured, a friend (?) offered to sell me an extra ticket he'd bought for the face value of $225. To sit in the upper level at Dodger Stadium. No, thank you.

Red Rocks might be kind of special case, considering how many people are willing to travel there to see shows. I was thinking of doing just that to see TTB this summer, but tickets have been scarce, and expensive on the "secondary market" (ie, legalized scalping services). Part of what's going on is that TTB had to cancel there last year, and they're trying to honor those tickets, so there just aren't that many to go around. But TTB has a whole tour in progress, so there will be plenty of other opportunities to check them out, but sadly for me, it's all in the eastern parts of these United States. C'mon, Derek, whaddya got against us TTB heads on the West Coast, maaaan?

Anyway, Deadheads should definitely check out the TTB is some way shape or form. I kind of see them as a continuation of the ABB legacy, kind of drawing on the same soul and blues sources with a little country and jazz thrown in. Like the ABB, their jamming is not as wide open as the GOGD, but it's almost always very dynamic and esciting. Derek Trucks is the best guitarist alive (yeah, I said it), the double drummer rhythm sections is always smokin', Susan is a fantastic vocalist, what's not to like? If you need a place to start, I would recommend their Live from the Fox Oakland album, which is a great concert in great sound (and video!). Added bonus: if you closely, you might catch a glimpse of a tall geeky white dude wearing an Eat a Peach t-shirt standing about 30 ft in front of Derek during his spectacular solo on "Keep on Growing."

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Possibly heading to a wedding in St Helena in August. Was supposed to be last year, with a “vacation” attached, something not experienced since 2012.
We’re not too comfortable traveling yet, but feel we have to go. My line is if we’re driving all the way out there etc, we have to find a safe way to do something, besides just go to the wedding and back.
So my question to all you NoCal folks out there is, where can we stay near there (“there’s” expensive and all ready sold out), some place that in turn would be a good home base for some day trips?
And, what would be some good day trips, stuff we could do mostly outside and avoid crowds etc.
like we already know Muir Woods will be packed so will avoid...

Originally wanted to finally get to Anchor Brewing,, Phil’s Place, as well as other, normal, Bay Area tourist stops.
I’ve been, but Lovey hasn’t so was hopping we could make a big trip outta it, but that was last year....
Sorry, way off topic but figure who better to ask!
Shanks!

on the tube, TTB has a great show form 2018-02-02 from the capitol theater. Definitely worth a watch. Then there are segments of earlier this year, their fireside (?) series.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

grinder and paying to support a corrupt system, use that money for party favors and listen to music in your home or car or somewhere.

I cant think of any artists id like to go see anyway. Thats just me being grumpy grumpkins.

And hendrixappreciationman, you are correct about chatterers and cells and I WAS THERE WHOZ GOT A BEER OR SOME WEED....

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Concert tickets. No more $150 to sit in the 2nd and 3rd levels. 1st level arena seats in today's inflation shouldn't be more than $99.

Movie tickets. I'm single so $15 a ticket doesn't sound bad, but take a date and she's going to want milk duds and popcorn and it's more like $40. A family of 5? What a joke, you're looking at $100 outing.

Sports tickets. Avg NBA salary 8 to 10 million (I looked at a couple sources). Avg baseball salary 4 million. No way I'm feeding that machine.

Cable / Internet / Phone

Inflation everywhere.

All out of control. Literally out of control. I stopped feeding the machine a few years ago, as much as possible. Athletes, musicians, celebrities, television personalities in general. And then they get up on their soap boxes and start preaching their politics. Bunch of overpaid bafoons. Boycott all of it I say. The cable bill is the one thing I'm having trouble getting rid of, but as soon as I can, the $200 a month for internet and four or five channels I actually watch is going bye bye. And who uses the landline anymore? But they don't even really charge you for it anyway they just add it on as a service so it sounds like you're getting more, but you really don't save anything by saying no I don't want the landline. I have to buy a bundle of TV packages with channels I don't want.

They're sheering us for the long con, and we're bleating all the way.

....the Monopoly board version of this started with the first Eagles reunion tour. Promoter inflated the prices thinking "people will pay". And they did. Every other promoter followed suit, and here we are.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I banged away at this about a month ago. They are totally absurd.

$300 for D&C. No thanks. Ain’t no dude named Garcia in the lineup. It’s a total joke, but people pay it.

Oro - I have seen Phil and his band a number of times at the Cap. It didn’t matter who was in lineup, he always put on a good show. You will have a blast.

Very tough loss for the Isles last night. You don’t give up a shorthanded goal the entire season and that’s how you lose game seven of the conference finals. Brutal.

Mike - my apologies in advance. Before the Stanley Cup playoffs started I pledged my allegiance to Canadaland, hoping for one of the four teams to win. The last team I ever expected to be there was the Habs. But, I got a back them. Look at it this way. Every team I have backed so far has been eliminated.

Hoping for a good series.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

$160 for tv and internet, $44 of it was taxes and fees.

Replaced it with Verizon Fios gigabit internet (fiber optic was already installed underground on my street and the Verizon equipment was already installed at my house), and an antenna for local tv. There is also an Ethernet cable running from the modem to my tv.

I bought the Red Wings streaming package from NHL tv so I could watch the regular season. Haven’t been able to watch the playoffs except for games on NBC which I get over the air.
Starting next season ESPN+ has the NHL, so I’ll get the Red Wings streamed through that. Maybe I’ll be able to get the playoffs streamed too. Otherwise, eventually I might have to get cable again to watch the playoffs, but I won’t do that until the Red Wings will actually be in the playoffs, and who knows how long it will be until that happens.
Hopefully next season. 🤞

I also won’t pay the high concert ticket prices, except for Roger Waters, I paid for floor seats in 2010, 2012, and 2017, and it was worth it. Had a good floor seat for 2020 which was postponed, and eventually refunded. Don’t know yet if I will go in 2022.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I started going to concerts on a regular basis around 73-74, and I saw great acts for $5-$6 in a small 2,500 seat theatre, a little more for arena acts. Often you got your tix minutes before showtime at the box office. Getting tickets was for the dedicated, you lined up and obtained them, no scalper nonsense. Now, bands that are just doing the “remember us?” circuit with no new releases (see: Doobies for example) who are asking $150 for binocular-recommended seats. No. Not a chance.
Jack - Rooting for the Habs!?!? Hmmmm. Guess who won’t be on Mike’s 2021 Christmas card list…

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

The problem AJS is I’ve seen some real doozie Phil shows, RR, early quintet shows at the Denver Philmore, including sick sit ins by TTB!
With Ryan Adams, Jackie Greene, all kinda good folks, but there’s been some I haven’t seen, ahem, but have heard suggested we’re not let’s say comparable...
But I’m sure if I go, and it’s not winter yet lol, it’ll be Phun Pho shore!
How can ya not go when it’s in the hood!
Ford Amphitheater is such a sweet little place.
Still can’t believe I didn’t see Dylan there back turn of the century, IDIOT!
Did see John Prine though.

Sorry Mike, im a Deadhead, I have to go with the underdogs, Go Habs Go!
Go Canadaland eh! (cue the Bob & Doug call!)
Wish I had some John Labatt Velvet Cream Porters!
Or some Upper Canada!

FIRST DEAD TIX: we’re like 7.50, 8.50? Something like that, paid 20, way sold out, 3rd row orchestra pit right, in front of Kieth...worth every nickel! One of the greatest days of my life!
Last D&C in 2019, 2 tix plus “fees”, for cheap seats, close to $200...

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

St. Helena's a real nice town: a little chi chi for the likes of me, but worth wandering around in downtown for a while. And of course there's lots (and lots) (and lots) or wine tasting in that area.

If you can't stay in St. Helena, it shouldn't be too hard to find a room in Santa Rosa. If you're interested in visiting breweries, then you MUST check out Russian River. Their beer is legend, and their original brew pub is in downtown Santa Rosa. It's cool place to visit, and the pizza's good. They have a new brewing facility just down the road in Windsor, which I've not visited yet, but I know it also has a pub. Lots of other good breweries in the area: Lagunitas in Petaluma, Bear Republic in Healdsburg, probably lots of other newer ones I don't know about, too. Santa Rosa has some great book stores, and the Last Record Store, which is a good place to shop for vinyl, if you're into that.
It's not too much of a drive to get out to Pt Reyes National Seashore, if you to do the nature thing. You could hit Limantour Beach, eat lunch at the Station House in Pt Reyes (I recommend the fish tacos), hit Pt Reyes Books, be back in St. Helena for dinner.

You have to remember ticket prices started to climb as artists were having their albums downloaded for free, and almost bankrupted a big portion of the music business. So the artists looked around and thought, didnt GD's business model have touring as it core. So artisits started jacking up prices to get what they lost in cd sales. But with Roger Waters or the Stones, these are primarily legacy bands that a lot of people want to see as they are still very entertaining artists. I agree, the current model of selling tickets to professional scalpers, uh hum, ticket agencies really needs to stop.

I wrote I just saw TTB recently. I was at the box office at 10 am when they went on sale. The old fashion way is still the best way. Why? Most people don't do that any more.

As far as sports and cable, I too have put an expiration date on it, unless I can find the right niche package just for me. The networks know that people have tired of having to pay professional player salaries, even when they don't watch them. But competition is great, and their is access to entertainment than ever. New movie studios opening with Netflix and Amazon creating a lot of content. And from that an explosion of great story telling, depending on what you want to watch. I think I may get disney for 2 months to stream the mandelorian, as a friend said it was worth watching. Great thing about the future is you can jump in and out of stuff.

I also watch rabbit ear tv, as that is now 20 local channels. Never happen, but if espn was ever broadcasted over ABC's OTA, man that would make life a lot easier, but cant do targeted advertising and data tracking. "Relax, it's not going to hurt."

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Itz been a while

QMS "Happy Trails" is the test subject

Hotternphuk here in Seattle

107 forecast

THAT is unprecedented

I thought I left las vegas

Very glad i have ac

I paid one pound for my ticket to Wembley for Europe 72.
By the time the Lyceum gigs rolled around, prices had doubled. DOUBLED!
2 quid a pop.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 5 months

MLB decided during spring training this year, to start progressive pricing, for on sold tickets and to events with a higher demand....
My wife works for an MLB team. I get tickets through her and the beginning of the season for games I know, I can attend. Yankees were back in town and they had a couple of bleachers seats available. Heck its a sunny afternoon its a sunny spring afternoon. Tickets run about $25.00 for premium seating. However, for the Yankees, it was $70.00 to seat in the bleachers.
I was told it was because the demand was so high and being that scalpers had blocks of season tixs for sale. The league has decided to bring their prices to meet the demand. If they build it and you want to go. They figure you'll pay for it. You might save a couple of $$$, by not buying from a scalper.
Was going to see Yankees vs The Rays, in Tampa. I found seats by the right field foul pole, field level about 40 rows back. They want $220 a piece, for tixs...This was done through the Rays, MLB website. A weekend or two ago, Baltimore was in town vs the Rays. I found a pair of tickets 18 rows behind home plate for $98.00 a piece.
Lets also not forget, the corporate ads, you see on uniforms now. Can't wait to see, a Mass Mutual ad, on Yankee pinstripes.
Wife does not work for an American league team, sadly

Looked at one way, a lot of record companies/ticket sellers/bands - whoever is involved - may be trying to make one last buck with all the anniversary editions, box sets and tours where a band play ancient music. Some 60s-70s
albums have been re-released an absurd amount of times in different formats. I've bought and been to see the ones I liked.
Mention of "Happy Trails" - now there's one that seemed to escape the 50th Anniversary treatment that I would have been interested in. Curious how "Live Dead" wasn't given the treatment, too, come to think of it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

wow, what an album, one of the best. How could they make this any better? The sound is fantastic, the art work is awesome and I don't think they will be able to add anything to what is all ready there. How could they make it any better?
Concert prices? seen most if not all the bands that I could or would want to see. Saw them at reasonable prices too, not this rip off they call prices now. D & C? no way for that money, and as someone said, no Jerry? why bother
Agree with another poster, Roger Waters has always been a great show, went to the last tour just before covid and it was great, not as good as the Pros and Cons tour, or the In the Flesh tour, or the DSOTM tour or any of the other times I have seen him. The band changes and some of the earlier bands had great musicians performing classic Pink Floyd tunes. The last time, mostly nothing from before DSOTM except "One of these Days" from Meddel. Nothing from any of the pre Dark side lps.
That distinction I have heard and read has gone to Nick Mason, who's band is presenting the early Floyd that I love and I wish he would come across the pond again and do a few more shows here in the colonies.
I will be going to see Live Dead again in August of this year, in a small venue with cheap (25 - 50$) tickets. Still with Mark Karan and Tom Constantine. They were great just before Covid and the talk is they are even better now.
As still another poster commented, no way I will EVER pay what these people want for live seats. Too bad, as a veteran of over 300 different rock shows and concerts, I enjoyed every one in one way or another, even the ones I was too wasted to remember.
Gone are the Days...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

PF - I’d say 107 degrees is pretty intense heat, and in a state like Washington, with old growth forests, dangerous. My son lives just north in BC, and he and his lady and friends do a lot of camping, but he says the heat warnings have come with no fire restrictions.

Oro, Angry Jack - Sorry to cut you guys off of the 2021 Mike Christmas card list, the ultimate must be on list of the festive season, but this Hab devotion (shaking head in disbelief), I don’t get it. I’m not crazy about the Lightning, necessarily, but Go Bolts Go!

Edit - QMS was one band I just never “got”. Never did a thing for me. That said, Happy Trails is one of the coolest album covers, like It’s A Beautiful Day’s first album (which I did like a lot!)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Yep, cool, Globe Propaganda covers, see also Quicksilver Shady Grove, but also Canned Heat, Halleluja, and the Charlatans!
But of course it would be a bit odd for George Hunter of the Charlatans not to come up with its cover!

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

...you can bid on Mickey's drum stool starting at 15K. Beats Jerry's sink.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Two great shows from 1969, hopefully they will be part of the1969 box set when it comes out this week.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Personally, I'm making all kinds of decisions about $$ and what's worth what. So I've been skipping invitations by friends to see Wolf Bros, Dead & Co., here in Denver area. May go to RR with a photographer friend to see if we can score Gen'l Admish for Tedeschi Trucks. In the old days - as recently as 7-8 years ago - we'd buy GA tics and get in line around 8am so we could scamper to the front and center position. Like for every ABB show in the decade with Derek and Warren. Bonnie Raitt. Back in July '78, for the first GD show, we went the night before with sleeping bags and they took our tickets right where we planted ourselves. Those days are over, baby. So I'm wondering what effect the Great Pause will have on people's willingness to shell out big $$ for what us old-time professionals consider a diminished experience. My guess is that the Haves will keep prices high by leaping at the chance to rock out (and, possibly, keep the pandemic going), while the rest of us -- is it age? experience? the combo? -- have essentially taken a large chill pill and ... shoot, I'd rather retire on a shoestring soon than prolong the agony and spend big for ... What? No Jerry??

So what's worth what? Small bars and clubs where you can get a bite, the bathroom works and there's little or no cover for a great blues band has been a big part of my life for a long time. That looks to continue and be affordable financially and physically. And, clearly, I'm onboard for getting a ton of archival music delivered to my door. Not the same as the old Big Shows, but as El Presidente of Get Off My Lawn Enterprises, I grow weary of the throng... That said, before I "retire" from the front rows of RR, I might just pop for expensive seats to see the TTB one more time. By 2024 I'll have been doing RR for 50 years. I think that's my goal: a couple more shows over the next three years and See Ya!

No hard feelings whatsoever. Completely understood.

As a long time Red Sox fan, I would never even consider throwing my support behind that other team.

Regardless, I will still be sending you a gift for Boxing Day.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

HF - You absolutely nailed it. I’m at that same point. Maybe an odd club date with a small crowd, facilities and eats, and reasonable prices. The days of being in the throng are behind me. Great write up!

Angry Jack - I’m just greasing you and Oro, and I totally get it from a Boston Red Sox perspective! Around here, though, as I said before, it’s a Hatfield & McCoys thing. One time I’m driving behind this dusty white van that sported those plastic Montreal Canadiens flags on it, as they were on a run at the time. As I pulled up behind it at a light, someone had written in the dust “I’m an assHole Habs fan”, but they designed the H in asshole like the H in their logo (which does NOT stand for Habs, by the way). I laughed my ass off at how creative some folks are.
May the best team (from Tampa Bay) win!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

As a long time Buffalo “Losers” fan (fill in the sport), Mike, I wouldn’t respect ya if you felt any different!
I have no stake in this at all, so for the sake of fun, in such situations, being a DH, I always go with the underdog, which since the get go has been....well, you know...so it’s more about principals then any actual affinity, except for along with AJS an affinity to the land of my forebears, hockey, Mike Holmes, Tim Horton, and excellent beer, eh, C-A-N-A-D-A land baby! So there’s that too...
I will say, that gulp, being a Sabres fan, it’s giving me some kind of weird, syphilitic feeling to be rooting for them, but I’m sick of the same ole, same ole...so when the going gets weird...!

PF: first you bring the Seattle curse to Vegas, now ya brought the Vegas Heat to Seattle! ; )
You need to harness that shit Bra!
(See if the wink makes it through customs?)

MR HENDRIXFREAK: once again the wily old sage has conjured up the collective consciousness, at least among us old snarly R&R dogs who know!
El Presidente in deed!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

“They always say class clown, as if there’s only one”.
Or when I was in the 7th grade , Ralph S......... poking me in the chest with his girlfriend’s umbrella sayin, “hey wiseguy! You a wiseguy?” The jock and his Ann Coulter look alike GF. Sheesh, permanent scar and a few good laughs thinking about it once in a blue moon.
What can I say , tall , skinny , easy target for the motherfuckers.
But I got to see the Grateful Dead many times 1970-1974. No brag, just fact. The Real McCoy. I was part raised by Walter Brennan . The black & white television version.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - I can’t stay mad at you and AJS - you’re back on “the list”! ;)
A Buffalo fan? You have earned your stripes, and some! I’ve seen NHL, NFL, and a few great shows in the Queen City, and Western NY. Great fans, even better people, always a pleasure!

VGuy - Awesome to hear the new Garcia is good! If the planets align, mine arrives by Tuesday, because national holiday on Thursday here, which means phuc all deliveries from the postal grunts on Wednesday, and Friday will be the same. I always love these Garcia releases, and always with Steady Eddie (John Kahn).

With the talk of a new Garcia release, I am giving one of my few Garcia shows a listen

3 6 76 Moore Theater Seattle

Very nice

Fwiw
3 6 76
3 18 78
Cassette 12 8 84
How Sweet it is release
Keene college
Dont let go 5 21 76 methinks
Oh yeah 1977 show pure jerry vol one
Bay area 78

user picture