• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

.... I would never kid about a Partridge family offer!!

How can you NOT have their greatest hits in your collection. Wasn't available for years,,,, I had the rope around the beam ready to check out, when GOD himself informed me the album was dropping and I should wait. Well I did and was sonically rewarded, I woke up in love that morning, so come get happy. Nirvana awaits!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

.. You cut me to the quick when you said you sold your albums :-(

That has to hurt to this day. I regret I broke my little yellow kids 78's when I was about 7 ( I had outgrown them)

But thankfully I have EVERYTHING else I ever bought. Love my K-Tel records :-)

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Their inspiration were the very talented family band and sunshine popsters, The Cowsills.
Check out The Rain, The Park and Other Things, some nice ear cotton-candy.

I have the cowsills greatest hits also. Apparently one of the few albums in my wife's house growing up,,,, so I got it for "her". It's actually the Cowsills IN Concert!!! Why would you NOT want them LIVE!!!

Good Vibrations -> Sunshine of Your Love -> Paperback Writer -> Reach Out, I'll be There!!!

What a suite of songs!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

"Screwed the pooch..."

Double bonus points as this comment referred to a Who album.

"Screwed the pooch" versus "over-egged the pudding"! Clash of the titans....

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Found my old copy of Guitar player magazine with Jerry on the cover from 1978 or 79. I used the cover for decor and is now somewhere.

I remember when that arrived at our home in wisconsin. Jerry definitely had charisma...I had heard of the GD peripherally and on radio and SNL...I wanted to read that article (and did of course).

Fo sho!
Pops used to say shit like “screw the pooch” all the time, but eggin’ the pudding...brilliant!
Love new ones....

Disturbing images, thinking Randy Marsh in China with Mickey...

PF, Sweeet, I have that Guitar player mag, plus a few others from back then. Unfortunately don’t have the one with Phil from a year or 2 before. I should re-read that...

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I must have a defense mechanism that allows me to enjoy a twisted phrase, but without actually VISUALIZING it.

So, thanks for the visual on "screw the pooch." They were just WORDS until you chimed in............

That said, I do live in the West, where men are men and, so it's said, the sheep run scared.

Okay, time for Dave's video on DP # 39! Once again I've inadvertently led the race to the bottom. Oh wait, there's another phrase that I never thought through!

Yeah on the Bonus Disk to the "All the years combine" dvd box, on the second grouping is Justin Kreutzmann documentary from 1992 titled "Backstage Pass." The first segment or chapter is a nice Pig Hard to Handle, then the second chapter is a Drums segment with Billy and Mickey alone in a studio. They did the custom drums for this documentary, so you will hear at first like beads hitting each other and then Mickey and Billy hitting these two long vertical drums and it is off and running. Lots of grate footage through out Backstage Pass. But during this drums you will see the train, will not say more though, as it is intense. It also has these Dead motif walking puppets that are a trip. Maybe someone can pinpoint where this footage is from. Hope that helps, sorry for the delay.

G

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

and "come on, get happy!"

I think Bear helped with their sound system.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

1 Best of Muddy Waters, 2. Workingman 's Dead expanded version, 3. Charlie Musslewhite, Louisiana Fog, 4. Anthem of the Sun expanded version, 5 Best of Little Walter. Last 5 beers.. Plin y the Elder. x 5.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Listening right now

When you need a palette cleanser, L@L is a good one.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Last 5: CSNY-Deja Vu box-disc 3
CSNY-Deja Vu box-disc 2
Lemon Pipers-Best Of
Cream-Royal Albert Hall-disc 2
Yes-Close To The Edge-Steven Wilson mix

Dennis, you continue to be my brother from another mother. I have Partridge Family Best Of, a 2-disc Cowsills, one of which is Best Of. Not to mention ABBA’s Greatest Hits, 5th Dimension-Gold, and at least a dozen more that most people wouldn’t admit to owning, much less enjoying.
Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I didn't need another copy of Skullf#@% but I'm interested for the 7/2 tracks. I agree that Pigpen on organ was exactly what the Dead needed in 1971-1972. Sure he may have hit a bad note now and then, but they all did. Pigpen had a great presence of mind to play exactly when needed.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

"And now for something completely different..."

- Monty Python

For years now I've been writing the Foo Fighters off as populist soccer mom rock, and Dave Grohl as an over exposed puppy dog. I cannot believe how much I love the new record, Medicine At Midnight.

Very stylistically diverse and just a beautiful, fun, warm rock record. Amazing. I could not gush more.

And now back to your regularly scheaduled programming...

My wife used to watch top 20 video countdown

FF "LEARNIN TO WALK AGAIN!!!"

and

"THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST!!!"

no hate or disrespect

Just facts

I was lucky enough to see Nirvana in '92

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Not a huge fan of his music, but he is a cool dude. Sound City is an outstanding documentary.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just scored a Ella Fitzgerald collection (the complete songbook series)

Talk about Ella came up last night at work and came home to check my Ella stuff. I have several of the "song books" collections. Never knew the was a "complete" box set. Guess it out of print. Amazon had big dollar pricing. Found a copy on a site called Mercari,,,, 83 bucks!!! 16 cd box!

From wiki -

They are considered a cornerstone of 20th century recorded popular music, and as a whole, represent some of the finest interpretations of the greater part of the musical canon known as the Great American Songbook.

The New York Times columnist Frank Rich was moved to write a few days after Fitzgerald's death that in the Song Book series, she "performed a cultural transaction as extraordinary as Elvis's contemporaneous integration of white and African-American soul."

Here was a black woman popularizing urban songs often written by immigrant Jews to a national audience of predominantly white Christians. As Ira Gershwin said, in the line quoted in every obituary: "I never knew how good our songs were until I heard Ella Fitzgerald sing them." Most of the rest of us didn't know, either. By the time she had gone through the entire canon, songs that had been pigeonholed as show tunes or jazz novelties or faded relics of Tin Pan Alley had become American classical music, the property and pride of everyone."[3]

Sorry for the non sequitur,,, I just had to share my good fortune.

Oh,,,,, don't tell the wife!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

I can't help but remember Mr. Ones catch phrase, Music is the Best.

There's always something going on around here and certainly not restricted to the Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Flashback to ~1975... I'm 17... We get tickets for Ella Fitzgerald with the Count Basie Orchestra (the Count was conducting, I believe) and we head to the Westchester Premier Theater (now closed).

Picture 4-5 teenagers with long hair, flannel shirts and jeans, probably stinking of pot, possibly with "white walls" around our nostrils (we got into blow that year), entering the theater, where everyone was dressed in their New York City best. Just after the show began. The ushers wouldn't seat us in our ticketed seats down front -- understandable now, but not then. But they seated us somewhere. Ella and the band played a remarkable set and Phil Woods -- one of the greatest clarinetists ever -- played a solo that I still remember absolutely devastated us. Then the band took requests. The process was amazing! A well-heeled jazz fan in the audience would yell out a tune. The Count would confer with his band. Always, a player would say something like, 'Oh yeah, that's a bouncy thing in G#m" and band heads would nod in agreement, Ella would say yay or nay on her knowing the lyrics -- or she'd scat/fake 'em -- and off they'd go. So polished, you wouldn't know they'd never played it before. During intermission, we did get seated in our seventh row center ticketed seats, standing out like a pocket of hoodlums in a coiffed crowd. Amazing night.

We caught all kinds of uptown jazz and swing acts in those days because my buddy's dad had been a drummer for the fabled Savoy record label in Neward, NJ, and when he heard us listening to the Band of Gypsys (Hendrix of course), he went to his record collection, pulled out 15 LPs, handed them over and said, 'Okay, if you're gonna listen to Hendrix and the Dead etc., you also have to learn where everything came from. Dig this!' And he thrust the well-played platters into my hands. That opened me up to the music of the 1940s, '50s and early '60s. Of course, over the years, I pushed back to the '30s and '20s -- Robert Johnson and Co., Lonnie Johnson, etc., which was a legacy of my friend's dad lifting the veil on popular music.

So, I may be HF, but I got schooled by that LP collection and dozens of killer shows in NYC while I lived in the area. Good times. Big ears. Ask about our Oscar Petersen 'experience' sometime.

That is all...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Dennis

The 5th Dimension are figured prominently in the Summer of Soul documentary on Hulu. Good flick. Seeing Mavis Staples singing with Mahalia Jackson may not make you a believer, but it will sure make you happy.

Would love to meet Mavis someday. Woman has the power of a thousand suns.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Caught her with Amy Helm and another great singer at Chautauqua in Boulder a few years back. Then again opening for Dylan, when she promised to literally kick the ass of the Mango Mussolini -- cracked up the crowd. Boy, think of the Pay-for-View revenue from that televised event..............

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

But I'll spin DP 36 again this week, as I feel an announcement coming on 39 -- perhaps this Friday, if the pattern holds?

Huh, I never used to be like this -- impatient for a release, when there's more to life than DPs...

Okay, who the f*** am I kidding??

I can't believe I am saying this.. but it does look like we will get an update on 39 before the box set reveal.

The third release of the year can be the real wildcard of the subscription. I am guessing 82 or 91, but would be stoked with a 69 dropped into this years lineup. In any case.. it seems it will compete with the box set reveal to an extent.

In other words.. Dave, if you're listening, we need another release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

It'll be a bit of a shock to log on here and see news of an upcoming release.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I've been grooving to a lot of JGB lately (GL 16 is very nice), and have been wishing for some JGB releases from the early 80s. I looked into some good bootlegs online, then came across old news about how 6/26/81 was "released" officially many years ago, but only as a download, only for one week, and perhaps only as an incentive to purchase a t-shirt? No wonder I didn't get it, and I get everything.

Does anyone have the official download? And are you willing to share, please? If it were available for sale then I wouldn't ask.

Thanks!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Okay, so now the conventional wisdom is that DP 39 gets announced and, three weeks later, arrives, meaninig a box set announcement in the dog days of August?

Either that pushes the box news to post-Labor Day -- hey, I'm in no hurry to get there at this point, summer in the Rockies is so freakin' short -- or the TPTB simply ignore all rules of retail and count on the news spreading like wildfire, even if some folks have disappeared into the mountains in August...

Then there's the sense I got that beyond the DP series and the box, there's one other release getting teed up.

So, the mystery is probably not that mysterious: why no news, when last year the '76 box came somewhat early? I'm thinking that either the tapes, the box design or other production issue has hit a glitch and they're not announcing until and unless the path to a sales or preorder date is smoothed out.

What's the other release? I'd love to think it's an "early" Wake of the Flood -- a favorite of mine as I heard so much of it in concert prior to the LP's release. But here are a couple other thoughts: they skipped anything to do with the 50th of Live/Dead/Fillmore West because they've done the limited edition as well as a nice compilation for losers like me (who convinced myself at the time of release that I "didn't have the money"... Idiot!!) The coupling of WD and AB with '71 shows was simply that they have few '70 shows to spare and had already mixed the Capitol '71 run so those shows were handy. But doing a 50th of Skull & Roses, coupled with only a single disc of 7-2-71, threw my theories a curveball. I can't see anything clearly in this cloudy crystal ball. What if they release a DVD of one of the Euro '72 shows next year and WotF in 2023?? Just trying to think outside the black hole...

They're obviously not going to wait until 2039 to release a 50th Built to Last, as Dave clearly stated, so when does the acceleration begin? They've surely got enough '73 left in the can to do a full show with WotF, but that year's shows were nearly always 3 discs' worth. Except, um, the Watkins Glen soundcheck....(Yet the Compendium lists the soundcheck at 90 minutes, which would require a 10-minute trim job. Ugh.)

Okay, obviously running out of original ideas and now just circling back to my usual 2020-2021 harangue over a '72 box and a '73 WotF w/ Watkins bonus "idea." Just rambling now........

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

After this: so I went back to Dave's seaside chat from 23 Oct 2020 and, skipping over "this version is amazing" and "you'll love the way the band does blah blah blah" and Dave says "we're doing preliminary work on the 2021 box, which we'll talk more about in a few months, I'm sure..."

Well, that clears up .......... NOTHING!

I plan to at long last experience a VFTV show on August 1

7 8 90? Nah.
6 16 90? Maybe.
6 14 91? Could easily be.
87? Uhhh....
GD movie? Nuh.
12 31 78? Hey.....

Hey! I have a copy of Essen 81!

THAT ONE!

I remember hearing/watching 6 14 91 and seeing Jerry morph into a lion.

That was cool.

We can have the party without them. Perhaps they will toss us a Shakedown Stream for good measure.

I love a good sense of humor.. I was reading this discovery of Neanderthal's ability to create art from deer bones 51,000 years ago in a cave in Germany, "the Unicorn Cave" to be exact.. (if I could attach the lenk to the article I would).. and at the article ended with the following line:

"The Neanderthal who turned a deer bone into art could not be reached for comment."

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

cd and propeller vinyl came today. The prop effect was neat, should look good spinning. Unlike the picture on the site that made it look white, it was clear vinyl with black prop.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

....that I won't be shamed for sharing the news that Britney Spears is retiring from recording.
Guilty pleasure. I know I've posted my appreciation for here before. I like beats. Her dad is a Pos.
Anywho. Also itching for a box set. Still waiting. I'm still waiting.
It's going to be Fall 72.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I want to thank you for all the great music I have been able to download from you. Thanks so very much for sharing your stash. If I had the world to give.......

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Not a fan or non fan, but I love the lyrics to "Piece of Me". What a great song for the double entendre. I think I'd bet a dollar a doughnut she didn't write it, but the truth of the lyrics is astounding!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

....... there's just TOO much music available in the world!

I have a very sprawling collection of music and can still be caught off guard.

Buddy showed up yesterday and asked if I ever heard Dr. Lonnie Smith. I never had AND I had none in the collection.

Quick youtube check showed I needed some of this guy. ( I like the cover of Sunshine Superman with Iggy Pop)

Anyone got a nice collection they like to share,,, maybe I can offer some Jimmy Smith in return?

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

How right you are. There is so much music that my wife thinks that I have ENOUGH music right now. I keep telling her that's not possible, but she does not understand. A lot of people confuse Dr. Lonnie Smith with Lonnie Liston Smith. Easy to do because they both play the organ, but in fact, 2 different people. I have a bunch of Lonnie Liston Smith, but the only Dr. Lonnie Smith I have is called Afrodesia. I'd be happy to send you a burn copy, if you want to PM me. Music just might break up this ole marriage O'mine!!

Keep listening, because Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm guessing there is a very real possibility that Garcia's family is up to their old tricks and started another legal battle. The second box from 2020 never came, now we're over a year out since the last one. Reminds me of 2007, we got one release that year, Spirit of 76. Later we found out it was because Koons had gone to court to take a bigger cut. Not sayin', just sayin'.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

The GD organization and its beneficiaries are...not destitute. Mo' money?

Hopefully the delay is just a "hey man, I had to make sure it was 'just exactly perfect'" thing

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

(humans and animals/insects/etc. coexist in a society where the animals have human bodies but animal/insect heads...just go with it...)

In an episode last night, a stagehand with a goat's head is wearing a goat skull steal your face Tshirt that reads "Goatful Dead"

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Guilty as charged. I saw Seastones performed at Ally Pally in London, September 1974. They played three nights and I think Seastones was performed at the second and last shows. I have no idea which of those two nights was graced with my presence but I did witness Ned and Phil in action between sets. I was totally unimpressed by their electronic noodling. A compilation of the three shows was released as Dick's Picks Volume Seven. I have previously documented my subsequent efforts to get home after the show on here so I won't return to that now. I blame the space cakes.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I was on the road in '74 and had to leave San Francisco in the 2nd week of Sept '74 to get home for school. So I missed Seatones shows and, yes, the "last 5 nights." So close, but no cigar. And, based on the tapes I've heard, I did not miss out when it came to Seastones. The '74 version of "Eyes"? Yes. But not Seastones.

Perhaps an acquired taste, like Ouzo? (Got a story there.....)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Mr. 1's =

sent pm

funny about album you mentioned Martin Denny has a album called afro-desia.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html