• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Killer start! And it came with a CSNY opener. There's even an (un-linq-able) Charlie Miller Ultra Matrix to commemorate the occasion. I'm jealous. . . BTW – there's gotta be a story or two. Right? Onward.

(That's some ride Vguy – tie dye, shrooms, terrapins, bears, the works. Can it do time travel too?)

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I hadn't thought of supply chain issues with this year's box, because... how would the situation be different for the Dave's Picks series since, say, March 2020? A box set introduces an issue of scale, yes, but wouldn't similar materials be involved? Unless the box itself -- literally, the effin' cardboard box that holds the set -- is a hangup or, as you mentioned, perhaps a printed book?

I hesitate to go full-on 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre,' but we don't need no stinkin' book! While I really dug the Pacific NW box art, we didn't really need that large outer box. I know this is a GD legacy issue and I've been in favor of whatever packaging they feel the music deserves. I'm sort of going along to get along in that respect. But the elaborateness of some boxes seems a tad over the top. And the essays, some by Nic Meriwether, can be tedious in attempting a synthesis of what was going on in the world or the US during the period the performances/recordings took place. Better to have fan reminiscenses -- if they can be gathered -- than another egghead attempting to weave socio-historical context. Hell, I was alive during the duration of the GD career, so I remember what the hell happened in the headlines. But I digress...

I'd say the perceived delay in announcing the box must be production issues, which begin with the tapes themselves, their transfer, clean-up, mixing, mastering, then the production run of CDs and related goodies, booklet, box, etc.

All speculation, though I did note recently that last October Dave said the prep for the 2021 box was underway. So I'd guess the tapes are not the issue, but delays may be more in line with what 'Brewer suggested.

Okay, now I'm pissed! So the dang virus is delaying my 2021 GD box set extravaganza?? Say it ain't so!

Trying to face forward and keep a stiff upper lip, no offense intended to anyone. I've lost family and friends to covid and that's no woe-is-me, but just general woe, especially for those who we've lost or remain ill.

Okay, I'm a jerk for even being concerned about the effin' box. If we all took a year off without releases, that'd give me time to explore the phenomenal shelf after shelf of GD releases I already have. In fact, that's a pretty good idea.

I thought the same thing. Plus.. I believe they have been manufacturing in Mexico (or other similar countries) that might not have really been vaccinated, especially the factory workers. There might be a serious reliability issue.

In any case.. I am a patient man, they will make up for it. Don't spend your box set money on scratch off lottery tickets and that arcade game with the claw that reaches down and pulls (or doesn't pull up) a prize.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

The Giants Stadium box set, wasn't announced until August 1st. Dave said we will have 3 more releases, not counting Dave's Picks. So that means a big1968/ 1969 box set or a Complete Winterland Oct 1974 box set and 2 more releases.

WMG/Rhino demonstrated their unreliability long before Covid arrived.

If the arcade claw game had FW69 Box, E72 Steamer Trunk, etc in it there would be a line of Deadheads waiting to insert their money and test their skill.

Box delays:
It needs to be ‘just exactly perfect’, or as close as WMG/Rhino can get before release.
Take note, the Jerry RSD release was pulled from tomorrow because it wasn’t the quality it should be.

....could be the wizard behind the curtain. Covid has been running rampant through my workplace the past couple of weeks.
You don't want to catch it. First hand accounts from my friends. It indeed effects everyone differently.
One, unfortunately, is on a vent at an ICU. She's 31 years old.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Just wondering how many of your colleagues that caught the virus have been vaccinated?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

That's the latest catchphrase. My general suggestion, if not a scientist don't spout (faux) science. I think free stuff and testimonials should help increase jab numbers. A double lung transplant sounds shitty to have. Good luck and godspeed to your colleagues VG.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Missed out yesterday, so if this was already mentioned, I'm not yet caught up: I was reminded of the anniversary of DaP 18 via email by one of our regulars here. Man I love the mix on this one. Jerry has pretty much the whole left channel to himself. When I listen I feel like I've put the CD on and Garcia is actually in the room with me, plugged into an amp and playing along with the CD. Well shit, if I'm going to take it that far, he may as well be passing the Persian as well. Now...I did cheat a bit. There were a number of duplicate tracks on the Bonus Disc, so I picked the the better versions and made one long show out of it (but no longer than any number of '72 -'73 shows, so I'm going to have to ask you to get all the way off my back about the editorial liberties). Oh...and I threw in Help / Slip / Franklin's from a near Production quality soundboard from opening night at the Orpheum. Now we have a release! In this format I'd take it over the entire 1976 Box Set (except for the 6/11 show of course, because Sixtus's world could come crashing down all around him if he heard blasphemy of that sort). The 8 minute Comes a Time outro jam completely melts my face every time. Keith sounds like whoever plays piano with the Vince Guaraldi Trio (probably Vince, right?). Playing in the Band may be my 2nd favorite post-hiatus, maybe my first- Cow Palace NYE is very strong too). It's all good.

ttps://youtu.be/6pp-X3_ZQT0

Just copy and paste in your browser and put an h in front

Maybe DL got the Cove? The box set is one thing, but Aug 1 is two weeks away and we don't know what DaP 39 is. All is not well on Shakedown Street, Deadville, USA.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

The vinyl reissue of Two From The Vaults keeps getting postponed, too. I've just checked, and I bought it in October 2020. The current date for its release on Amazon is 7/30/2021. The 50th package of Skull and Roses seemed to get through okay, though.

Strange times within strange times at the moment. Restrictions are being lifted in England on Monday, and already over hyped sporting events have taken place this summer, attracting vast crowds.There is even a festival taking place round here somewhere soon. And all the time, infection rates are rising.

On the bright side, I bought a double cd called "Yardbirds 68" earlier this week. The first cd features a reissue of the legendary show at The Anderson Theatre 3/30/68. It was always one of those live albums that had a terrible reputation-with crowd noises apparently dubbed on to give the impression everyone was having a great time. Anyway-Jimmy Page has cleaned it up - and it now sounds phenomenal. It sounds way better than I expected - one of the best live recordings I have ever heard from a British band in this timespan.
I really like the music, too. It still has the pop/psych leanings of the Jeff Beck years, but it is also heading into the future with a bullet. If you can accept the fact that The Yardbirds had a tendency to take blues songs, add new lyrics and pass them off as their own songs - the cheekily title "Drinking Muddy Water" included here is credited as a band composition, but is basically the same song as "Rolling and Tumbling" - then this is highly recommended. As is anything they recorded with Jeff Beck.

Incidentally, it was half the price on the Jimmy Page website compared to the price quoted on Amazon.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo!! Rockers!!!

Proudfoot: Rochester? Really?? I'm impressed..................

Charm is a way of getting the answer 'Yes' without asking a clear question............

Rock on!!

Doc
Off to morgue

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Now that’s Truckin’!!
Plague over? Afraid not.

At least the good news was first.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Covid Liquor Fund, nearly depleted..................... winq winq, linq linq.....................

Vguy, best wishes to your co-worker. One of my best buds got the virus just before vaccinations became available, and in January, he left this earth.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Just a snippet from the AllMusic review of Dave McMurray's forthcoming "Grateful Deadicated" (rated 4.5 out of 5 stars): "All emphasize the sometimes hidden but always attractive melodies in the Dead's tunes; he understands them as songs first. Grateful Deadication is as sophisticated as it is musical in presenting this complex and sometimes speculative music as welcoming, accessible, and danceable."
While I await this one, I have the TTB "Layla" Redux discs that came in last night to review, among others. I am beginning to think any potential Dead box DL may have queued up should be called "Bigfoot", more myth than reality. The Pandemic has some serious reverbs on production, especially vinyl.
On that note, my condolences HendrixFreak for the loss of your friend to this terrible damn disease, and likewise, best of health VGuy to your coworkers, and safety to all of you reading this.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Here’s a list of some of the release dates taken from Wikipedia, pardon any errors...

11/7/99 So Many Roads
10/16/01 Golden Road
10/26/04 Beyond Description
10/21/10 Warner Studio
11/24/17 GD Records
10/10/00 Ladies & Gentleman
9/25/01 Nightfall of Diamonds
10/22/02 Go to Nassau
11/11/03 Closing of Winterland
11/25/05 FW
9/30/08 Rocking the Cradle
10/1/09 June 77
9/7/10 Warlocks
9/1/11 E72 Complete
9/17/13 SSDD
9/9/14 Spring 90 TOO
9/18/15 Boxilla
11/10/17 RFK
9/7/18 PNW
9/27/19 Giants

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

To Sixtus on the Anniversary. Great cherry poppin’ show fo sho!

VGUY: the misses needs a rig like that only in tie dye Knights colors with their logo on the hood!
Be safe, I’m with AJS wondering if any of the infected were vaxed? Our thoughts are with all those still suffering from this scourge.
I sure hope this thing works cause of my work conditions (construction sites equal lots of young people and young Hispanics, both demographics with high unvaccinated populations)...the Mrs too, she’s a librarian and they do these summer programs where up to a hundred kids are present! None vaccinated!
It’s deplorable that people who hide in offices or work elsewhere determine the fate of others, and for what?
But I digress, sorry.

Think I need to spin Downhill From Here tonight and feel some of that summer loving in the spring fall and winter that JG and Brent have going on!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Wow Daverock, it’s £15 on Jimmy Page’s site (+£10 to ship to the U.S.) and $52 + $3 shipping on Amazon.
Guess I’ll pass, saving those funds for the long-delayed 2020 second Box…..

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Great data, which kinda establishes that we're premature in declaring the box announcement late. No doubt we perceive this box as "late" due to the early (and Dave made clear it was "early") announcement last year or year before (?) of the June '76 box.

So, I'm WAY early in demanding info. That's certainly a break with tradition in which I'm always WAY late on everything, plus that proverbial dollar short.

That Mike, thanks for your thoughts. Still grieving here, my buddy Tom used to spend an hour on the phone with me talking music every week or two for 20+ years. He was the world's greatest Roy Buchanan fan. It's not about me, though, it's about his wife and kids. Oh man.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Senior HF. That’s heavy, I think losing friends and pets can be as hard as family.
It angers me extremely to think we could be near the end of this if people would of just gotten vaxed, now, I’m not sure this darkness is gonna give soon...

Speaking of loses, long story short think both my drives are dead: OS and music...been too dam many failures, so wondering which format, and what brands y’all would both recommend and avoid etc
I would of posted separately but this captcha BS! IS OUTTA CONTROL AND STUPID!
Took me 10 times to finally post on other thread! Why? We still get spam...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Hey Oro! There you are! I was going to get a posse out searching those higher Colorado altitudes to make sure all is well, but it sounds like you are doing good, and keeping safe from this virus. As usual, you come through with the facts, or to quote Sgt Joe Friday, “Just the facts, ma-am”. It appears Box Fever was a little premature.

The vaxx I was given was the Astra Zeneca vaccine, formulated in conjunction with Oxford U. Some neighbours have given me a bit of Vaxx Snobbery, because this AZ has a minute number of instances where blood clots may form, sometimes stroke, but very rare. They are either vaxxed with Pfeizer or Moderna. Even my wife kept asking me repeatedly if I was ok. My retort is simple: Oxford U was established in the 12th century, so Medieval time. It has been the launch pad and employer of brilliant minds such as Sir Isaac Newton, JRR Tolkien, Aldous Huxley, and Stephen Hawking. This is not some regional fourth tier public college. Life has risk, but this vaccine is not a risk. Being not vaccinated endangers not only yourself, but your work and social circle. Sleeves up, get the jab.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....one of them was vaccinated, but her symptoms are very mild. Staying home just to be safe.

You’d need John Wayne in that posse pilgrim to find me at this ranch I’ve been working at, sweeeettt! Literally “end of the road”, surrounded by lush forest and high peaks, post card stuff, but yet it’s only 10-15 minutes to town! Kinda place I always dreamed of, but you learn quick here that such places are only for the rich...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That place sounds pretty idyllic Oro! I am getting a little stir crazy being stuck around here for the better part of 18 months now, but things are opening up for travel again, so better times ahead. Always glad to hear things are well with you, Amigo¡¡

Random - For jazz fans familiar with trumpeter Lee Morgan, there is a complete 12 LP/8 CD “reissue” from Blue Note (Don Was) called Live At Lighthouse. Originally released in 1970 as one disc, later as 3 discs, this is Maximum Dosage Lee Morgan. A great trumpeter before meeting his early demise (see the DVD “I Called Him Morgan” - fascinating) to his girlfriend, this box ain’t too cheap. I’m really thinking hard on this one.

I did get the Allmans “Live At The Atlanta Pop Festival” reissue - I never get enough of the ABB.

Ginger Baker on the cover of his “Why” album - is he not about THE grumpiest looking sob you never hope to meet!? Lighten up, Ginger. Apparently he and Jack Bruce had legendary fights, and I often wondered how a mild mannered guy like Clapton kept it together around these two??

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks, Oro for the insight on previous box release times. That does provide perspective.

I might have mentioned this before, I have many audio cassettes to digitize through usb onto my IMAC. I want to share concert recordings I made at shows myself upon Archive.org. I want high quality wav files or aaf at up to 192kHz resolution. I have a Nakamichi cassette deck. So far I'm looking at pro products like the Berenger UCA202 and the Focusright Scarlet 2i2 as the interface, but those are a little pricey. I've also seen little consumer dongle "audio cards" that purport to interface with a computer, but I am skeptical due to the price and some reviews I have read. Do I convert the files to WAV once they are digitized into my IMAC with a program like Audacity? Thanks, Scott

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by nitecat

WAV is for PC, Macs use AIFF.

If you get a USB adapter for your tape deck you can use Audacity to capture the audio. Audacity will save the data in its own file format that ends in .au or something like that. After you use Audacity to make any edits, splices, etc. you will then export the audio file from Audacity and can choose the file format then.

For the archive you will need to make the file FLAC.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

“I just want a little drink of water, but you just won’t let Jerry stop”

Think Jerry was giving a hint that he needed to take a break from touring?
Or did he just have cotton mouth?

....but I am a huge Phish fan as well. There are posts on the r/phish sub on reddit where fans are going back and forth about being vaccinated or not and attending the upcoming tour.
It starts in Arkansas and moves to Georgia. The most unvaxxed parts of the country. Fascinating yet sad reading for sure.
Vegas is a current hot spot. Both in temps and positive results. Ugh.
My current listening? Bob Dylan More Blood, More Tracks. Bootleg Series Vol 14. Simple Twist Of Fate.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Fun show, Garcia was just singing the words to the song , except instead of singing Jimmy ( Jimmy Reed) he said Jerry.

user picture

Member for

4 years

Just spotted Dave L's reply on Twitter to a question about the next box:
David Lemieux
@lemieuxdavid
Replying to
@robwade and @GratefulDead
YOLO!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Thanks for the Lee Morgan heads up...$72 for an eight disc box is very reasonable...will probably jump on it when it releases in August...saw many a fine show at The Lighthouse, faves being Bobby Hutcherson & Woody Shaw together killing it and The Hollywood Fats Band backing Big Joe Turner...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by nappyrags

As I watch “Downhill From Here”, and wonder why the last 3 songs from the first set are replaced by the last 3 songs from the 7/19 first set, it’s obvious that that gross error and misconduct can be rectified by releasing the “Complete Alpine Valley 1989” Box Set which includes all audio and video.

Credit card in hand and waiting Dave……

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

That previous post took me about 15 reCRAPTCHA tries to get it to go through.
I even copied the text, logged out, cleared the history, logged back in, and pasted the text. And then it took another 3 attempts.

It’s almost as if they are trying to discourage us from hanging out here and talking to each other……

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Then tune into 12-26-81, same run. Classicly "plain" setlist on paper, but monster energy in the music.

Vguy, More Blood, More Tracks, that's where it's at. Especially Tangled Up in Blue, a song that really talks to me.

I've only got the basic Blood on the Tracks album, but I bought the Mono box set of his 60s recordings recently. Stunning quality, I have to say. I wasn't sure about whether it would be worth it - it is. The acoustic sides really shine, but the sound of each album is superb.

Recent post saying that Ginger Baker was grumpy - potentially dangerous too, by the looks of things. See the way he attacks his interviewer with a walking stick in the doc "Call me Mr Baker" ( I think). Great drummer, but you wouldn't have want to have crossed him.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!

But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?

Been a rough couple of days in the land of the dead...........

Here in the land of the Dead, all is well. Walked dogs, coffeed up, cranking May 26 1972 .............

Rock on!!

Doc
Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it.......

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

The powers that be should let us know what 39 is at this point ... you don't need to make it for sale ... but just a simple announcement as to what the show is.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The first Dark Star on this video is great. Sounds like 1970 as there are maracas but barely any of that scratchy guiro thing that Mickey used to play (or maybe it was Pigpen). Also absent is that early Dark Star repeating keyboard melody. Definitely pre-Keith. It just sounds 1970 to me, but I can't figure it out. I've listened to 20 released and unreleased Dark Stars trying to figure it out.

ttps://youtu.be/Jk61PLdFaZs

Just put the h at the beginning and copy / paste in your browser if interested in the Dark Star challenge.

The great underrated DaP 17 anniversary is tomorrow (Coattail Skeletons). Some great stuff in there, just gotta poke around. Only China Doll I enjoy.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Sunday Morning Grateful Dead Guessing Game, I'll play!!!

To these tired, rock-and roll damaged ears, sounds like 1968 or maybe early 1969........

Those who write clearly have readers, those who write obscurely have commentators......

Rock on!!

Doc
Truly fertile music, the only kind that will move us, that we shall truly appreciate, will be a music conducive to dream, which banishes all reason and analysis........

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I saw that Ginger Baker doc, I forgot about that cane incident. I recall he was a horse owner, polo enthusiast, and a real acerbic jerk. Great drummer in his day, but I’m still amazed Clapton lasted with Baker & Bruce. Maybe that is why Clapton started easing out with Delaney & Bonnie, into the Dominos and Duane Allman and all?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

Thanks from me also on the Lee Morgan mention. I've always loved "the Gigolo". Lee is solidly my type of jazz. Will be nice to have 12 live sets of his in stock. I didn't get the vinyl, but may go back later and get.

Layla vinyl came in yesterday.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That Dark Star may be earlier than '70. Initially I thought the absence of that old Pigpen keyboard Melody from as early as Two From The Vault and prior (which TC adopted in'69) was an indication that it was post-TC but pre-Mickey exit. You know the melody:

Di-doo-doot Di-doo-doot Di-doot
Di-doo-doot Di-doo-doot Di-doot

But after listening to a bunch of 1969 Dark Stars this morning, I noticed that TC stopped playing it all the time at some point in mid 1969.

This is really driving me nuts; I want to put this version in my "Jam" mix.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html