• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

2/14/70 playing here and re-loving it. Been on a 68-70 ripper inspired by DSO’s 2nd set at Red Rocks the other night!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

From around 1983/84

“Michael Anthony, one of the few bass players who still uses a pick.”

The photo shows Michael picking his nose.

Wanted you to know, I snagged that book.

Thanks!!!

So bought a couple of old books, guess i am old fashion. Well...

I still like a book over any other medium, for me just easier to read and be comfortable.

That one has me in tears!!! Classic!!

Weren’t they the best at Creem! So irreverent, didn’t care who they offended.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

That’s the only quote I can remember.
I was a young teenager and loved Van Halen at the time, so it stuck in my brain.

If only Creem and MTV had informed me that the Grateful Dead were still a band at that time…..
I only knew them as an FM radio band from the 60’s.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

26 years ago today.

Definitely not a Mount/Desert/Rush/Island/More show, but I’m glad that I was there.
About this time that day I was between the stadium and the big parking lot listening to The Band. Once they finished I got in line to enter the stadium. I was on the floor in front of the soundboard and to the left.
I made it to all 9 Soldier Field shows and was on the floor for 7 of them.
Had a good time at all of them, even the first night in 93 when it was cold and raining during Space. My girlfriend (her 2nd show) was wet, cold, and not enjoying Space. I refused to leave. :)

Was in the bowl that night. The other time in the bowl was 7-8-95 (Visions was the highlight that night).

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....yup. I remember those. Good times. Heavy Metal still rules in my home from time to time to time.
Had my bedroom walls covered with the gatefolds from those magazines and also tapestries back then. Mom & Dad got a little worried, but not too worried. I was a good kid. Ignore that shoplifting thing on my rap sheet though. I stand by my statute of limitations.
Music Is The Best. No matter what category.
Been on a Judas Priest thing lately.
My musical tastes are like the cycles of the moon. But when it comes to the GD, it's always always a full one. I will never be not in the mood to listen to the boyz.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Gary-great stuff, thanks for letting me know. As Morrissey from the Smiths wrote, "There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more."
As for being old fashioned, I would probably qualify, in the eyes of the world. In the last month I have read books from different centuries. Some of them were written before I was born.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The creator of Heavy Metal lives nearby. Proximity to luminaries does not usually translate to becoming illuminated. The animated films of Ralph Bakshi are genius. Seeing Fritz the Cat in my hometown movie theater back when it was released in 1972 in a very altered state of consciousness is permanently etched into my gray matter. American Pop is also a fantastic film from Ralph. Many notorious and highly accomplished artists are best left alone. 34 years ago I asked Laird Grant if he ever met Jack Kerouac. If my memory serves me well Laird ran into him in Vesuvios Bar in North Beach next to City Lights Bookstore . The story goes something like Laird asking Kerouac some question and an extremely intoxicated Jack replying “What the fuck you want .....”. Some folks are best left alone.
Fame is a double edged sword.
Enjoy the new moon of July.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I don't even know if it was a Cream magazine, but I got on board with The Who in 1982 as a ten-year-old kid, shortly after seeing The Kids Are Alright movie. In 1982 they didn't look anywhere near as cool as they did when Moonie was around. Townshend had shaved the beard, cut the hair short, parted on the side, and wore atrocious 80s clothes with sleeveless shirts and geriatric sneakers. There was a photograph of him looking like this on stage, doing one of his trademark guitar leaps; the caption read: "Who ever thought Pete Townshend could look like such a dink?" And that caption and photo just always stuck with me.

It's funny the Rushmore thing is going on. I was thinking of suggesting everyone's three favorites from each year, but realized that would be a monumental task that would never get off the ground. Oh. Get it monumental? Rushmore. Total coincidence.

Before I get to my batardized version of Rushmore, I must announce: I completely underestimated the Dark Star from 4/26/69 DP 26. There aren't too many 1969 Dark Stars that sound all that much different to me, but this one sounds excexceptional lately.

Rushmore. Jeesh 4. shows + a bonus. I don't think I can do it. Well first I will say, I'm on board with the notion that there are many shows as good as Cornell now available from '77, and I can think of preferable versions of most songs.

Veneta I like a lot. Most of the songs are in my top one or two favorite versions. The jamming on it features some of the best interplay I can recall between Jerry and Keith. They used to jam with this co-lead dynamic in '72 that would emerge for some shows with more energy, creativity, and synergy. Veneta I think is one of those days. Feels like the whole band is having an A plus performance. I'm listening to it now. I'm a dozen songs in, already, have heard Playing in the Band, Bird Song's just begun, and Dark Star still lays ahead. I think part of this musical intuition that came out between Keith and Jerry was largely enabled by Keith's use of the Grand Piano. He could play that thing loud and boisterous without washing Jerry out. I think that changed a bit the more he integrated other types of keyboards, as something like a Fender Rhodes didn't lend itself to that kind of playing, and by post-hiatus it didn't matter what he played, as the two drummer setup altered the jamming dynamic in such a way that the two periods were almost incomparable. And while Europe '72 is a goldmine of greatness, the songs developed a lot more with Keith come 2nd half of '72 (I can hear it when I compare something at Veneta to an E72 version where Keith is actually up in the mix). Maybe the quality of Veneta would even out like Cornell if many more shows from that era are released. One can hope.

I also just recently listened to February 14th 1970, and I walked away thinking Lovelight was better on the 14th than the13th, where it's considered 1/3 of that 90-minute triad. I'm not a big fan of the Pigpen dialogue moments, but my recollection is that the 14th was heavy-duty jamming mostly, with a very on-fire Garcia. It may literally have been only the second time I've listened to that version. I immediately went to Dick's Picks 4 to do the comparison and at this writing I'm sticking with the 14th performance of Lovelight.

I guess for Rushmore there's the problem of "release" vs show. I'm going with a release as long as it doesn't span more than four CDs. For example Jai-Alai 6/23/74 plus Bonus Disc, or Dave's Picks 29 with Bonus Tracks. I would not count something like the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack, or a 3 show box set like Winterland 1973 Complete; but I'm letting Ladies and Gentlemen The Grateful Dead slide in there. I think Dick's Picks 18 is fair game too.

2/14/68 "And now for our next morbid selection..." * Road Trips '68
8/24/68 * Two From The Vault
2/22/69 * 30 Trips Around The Sun
11/8/69 * Dick's Picks 16
5/2/70 * Dick's Picks 8
9/19/70 * Unreleased
4/28/71 * Ladies & Gentlemen Complete
11/15/71 * Road Trips Autumn '71
4/26/72 * E72
8/27/72 * Sunshine Daydream
9/17/72 * Dick's Picks 23
10/19/73 * Dick's Picks 19
11/11/73 * Winterland Box Set
2/24/74 * Dave's Picks 13
6/23/74 * Dave's Picks 34
3/23/75 * Blues For Allah Live
7/17/76 * Dave's Picks 18
12/31/76 * Live at the Cow Palace
2/26/77 * Dave's Picks 29
5/25/77 * Dave's Picks 1
2/3/78 * Dick's Picks 18
12/31/78 * Closing of Winterland

And Fuggit - I love this DaP 38 + Bonus. I'm often at odds with Dick's commentary about a lot of shows, but I think he was on target here. Even if Dick hadn't introduced these shows to Dave, I think Dave would have discovered it himself.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

A term first coined by William Burroughs, I think.

Keithfan -9/17/72 ahead of 9/21/72? Maybe I should check the earlier show out again soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

saw them in Frankfurt, August 11, 1972.
Wow, the loudest band I've ever heard in concert, indoor Festhalle Frankfurt.
I mean extreme loud!!!!
My biggest mistake in '72: I could've seen the Dead in April, 26, Jahrhunderthalle.
But I didn't. Why?
Too young and to far away from what was really going on in the international music scene.
Simply said, I didn't know GD.
On May 2nd in 1972 I saw John Mayall, at the same location, Jahrhunderthalle Frankfurt.
Great show, wouldn't mind to trade it for a show a week earlier.
Life happens

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Did it, done it, occasionally revisit for nostalgia. I worked at the movie theater when Heavy Metal came out. Never watched the whole thing thru but saw all of the scenes in pieces. I have the Movie recorded on my DVR. Maybe today will be the day I revisit it. May try to watch twice before I erase it. If memory serves there were some other rock bands I uncertainly wouldn't call heavy metal. Let's see, Journey and Donald Fagan and others on there should never been associated with heavy metal.

So I started thinking about it. I had written the first paragraph about 5 hours ago. Thinking about metal and some concerts I saw, when I started thinking about Judas Priest. I remember wow it was 1981 when I first saw them. Then it hit me that it was in summer July or August. I have the ticket but chose not to go digging through stuff. I check and 40 years ago right now, this music freak was preparing to go see Judas Priest, with Whitesnake opening and then Iron Maiden, at the Fox theater in Atlanta. Drove into town and heard the concert announcement on the rock radio station the night before. During afternoon next day went down the Fox Box Office and scored tics. Went back to room to chill out. Headed down to the show. All three of the bands were completely known to us. I had copies of British Steele and Point of Entry by Priest. I also had Iron Maiden Killers, and this was on the Killers tour, as well as their first album. Hard to believe 40 years went by like that. It was a true heavy metal concert. Well Whitesnake at this point was a heavier blues unit in the Zep and Purple line of hard rock. But damn did both Maiden and Priest drive that place hard. BTW, Maiden was the original maiden before Dickinson and the second drummer.

Any way within 12 months I was clearly leaving metal behind and casting my gaze elsewhere.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

anybody home?

5 day sale sign is still on web after a week?

no box set announcement? No dave's picks announcement?

is anyone there?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Hi Daverock. Yeah, that was a tough choice, DP 23 over DP 36. They have very similar set lists. If I had to choose between one or the other to bring as the only Dead CD to the desert island with the coconut rum and bikini women, I would go with DP 36, based on the Dark Star, Wharf Rat, and Morning Dew. I'm not sure which Bird Song I prefer; maybe I'll put that to the test later. But anyway,
I like the performances and the recording of DP 23 more. Jerry is consistently loud throughout DP 23. On DP 36 he's certainly not low, but he tends to get washed out a bit when the whole band is playing and he's not swinging away at chords. You can hear what I mean for example with El Paso. If you compare the first minute of DP 23 to DP 36, you can hear Jerry loud and clear on 23 when he's doing all of that cool picking; meanwhile he gets buried by the band on 36. I also hear more flashes of brilliant playing from Jerry on 23. Another thing about DP 23 is the backing vocals sound better to me in a lot of places, like they're "blended" together more evenly. And then there's the monster 40 minute Other One - lots of great jamming here, and they almost jam out The Eleven at one point (Jerry starts it but nobody hops onboard).

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Keithfan - yes, thanks, I'll bear your comments in mind next time I listen. I will try the two El Paso's, and look out for the contrast.
I should say that my immersion in Dicks 36-9/21/72 - has been stimulated by its release on vinyl, and that's the version I listen to now. It sounds amazing to my battle worn ears-but I haven't compared it to the cd version. Price it cost, I'm a bit scared to!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Gratefulgerd - I looked up the set list for your 8/11/72 Who show. That must have been incredible - I would love to hear Relay and Long Live Rock with the gang in their live prime. Those two songs were freshly written at the time, and then quickly dropped from the set list. I doubt any relreasable tapes exist of the '72 tour you saw, but I found a decent YouTube show from later in the month with the same set list. Good stuff.

Proudfoot - I checked out your 12/2/71 recommendation. Some hot spots in there. I like those late '71 Smokestack Lightnings with Keith in the mix. The piano suits that song. Brokedown Palace is nice - they nail the vocals at the end, which is always the icing on the cake. Also like this UJB. Solid version and Phil really nails the backing vocal on the "crow told me" verse. He used to sing some cool parts in those early days.

Also checking out other December 1971 shows after Doc's 12/14 recommendation. Currently listening to DaP 22 at the Felt 12/7. After Tennessee Jed someone in the crowd hollers out "St. Fucking Stephen!" and Jerry impatiently responds with "Aw, Fuck your own St. Stephen!" So glad they leave the stage banter in these releases. These guys sounded like they had a LOT of fun at work. What a way to spend your life.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!

“We’re tuning up a little bit for you folks, make it sound better cuz nothing’s too good for you………”

12/2/71, it's a bit of an oddity. One of only two 71 shows with both Brokedown Palace and Black Peter. The only 71 show with both a Smokestack Lightning and a Lovelight. And unusual for 71 in that it didn't have a Truckin', Good Lovin', The Other One, or Dark Star........

Back in the very early years of my crazy tape trading daze this was one of the first “local Dead show recordings” I had, so it has a special place in my Grateful Dead heart of hearts. It never seemed like the greatest Dead show ever, yet I still treasured it then---AND now.

Think I'll listen to it on my way to work.......

Rock on, my friends!

Doc
Odd how the creative power at once brings the whole universe to order......

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I have several liberated bootlegs of The Who in Summer '72, of course not clean SBDs like we have with the Dead stuff, but most are quite listenable. (A variable term for sure, depends on one's experience listening to hissy audience tapes, but there are definitely decent ones to be found.) And I like collecting them to get those sort of tunes that they played with Moon for very brief periods. Who boots will vary from awful to great, you just gotta poke around.

If I had a Mt Rushmore of Dead shows, 6/23/74 just about makes it on mine. Maybe not the best show from the Wall of Sound era, but to my ears, it is by far the best sounding tape of that era. Jerry's picks are all a little odder than usual, but all are perfectly chosen. The Ship of Fools (and it's intro Jam) is a fantastic way to get back from the weirdness of Seastones. And that Dark Star> Spanish Jam> US Blues is just magnificent.

And to the post about the actual Mt Rushmore and FDR over Teddy: we wouldn't have had any sort of President like FDR without TR. We'd likely still be a smallish country with no great impact on the world without Teddy. Similarly, one could say the same of Cornell or Veneta or 2/14/70, because for a lot of people the tapes of legendary shows introduced them to the wonderful music and led to the discovery of the bounties awaiting the collector of more tapes. Those shows may not endure as favorites, but they are still signposts to a new space, to steal a title from a Jerry interview/book. And if I were to switch out a face on Mt Rushmore, it would def be Jefferson for Madison. (In keeping with ones who had served by the end of construction.)

If I have to choose 4:
11/8/70 (so wish there was a SBD of this one)
5/7/72 (just bc Dark Star & The Other One)
6/23/74
5/8/77 (my George Washington, where it started for me)

My friend gave me a bunch more CDs last week

85, 86, 87, 88

I dont anticipate listening to the 87 and 88 stuff too much, but the 85 and 86...

86 is an oddball year for the GD, fo' sho'

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

1. Fillmore West, 2. Europe 72, 3. Winterland 73, 4. GTSTL, 5. PNW 73/74, 6. July 1978, 7. June 1976, 8. Golden Road, Beyond Description, & So many Roads. My favorites are the first three, they get repeat listens all the time. I'm. really looking forward to the next one, hopefully it's 67 to 74.

I saw that and instantly thought of the Python skit Archaeology Today. The next list will list 12 things, then the next 16, finally the award going to the man who had the record Jerry recorded in an arcade booth when he was seven! For years rumor had it was China Cat Sunflower. But after closer inspection it was realized that song was two decades away. Then proof positive appeared, the record itself!!! It was Jerry doing "A - Your Adorable" a popular hit of the day by Jo Stafford and Gordon MacRae, Gordon of course went on to star in Oklahoma and Jo went on to sing about Spiders & Snakes. The owner would only play a recording of the record, not wanting to overplay the vinyl, the recording I'm told is adorable, but tracking fast.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Deadvikes, Thank you so much for the offfer, that is extremely kind of you. I think I'll pass for now, I have pretty much what I want. I do have a Grateful Dead item you might be interested in, pm me your email address and I'll fill you in. Again, Thank you so much.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Edibles. Everybody has an edibles story, right? Mine involves a hippie grower named Zemo who gifted me a grocery bag of shake trimmings, which turned out to be practically unsmokeable, and were therefore crumbled into a box of Betty Crocker brownie mix, which turned out to be surprisingly tasty, given their rather unappetizing hue, and surprisingly potent. Suffice to say the day got weird, and I had to resort to counting railroad ties, a la Cowboy Neal, for about four hours in order to get my mind back in my body. Nearly died of cottonmouth. Ah, good times.

I remember buying an early copy of Live at Leeds, and somewhere in the deluxe packaging (that poster of Townsend was on my wall for years) there was a notice that the scratchy sounds were not a defect, but were put on the record intentionally as part of the whole gimmick of making the “official” album seem like one of the bootlegs the hipsters were exchanging in those days. Now, my turntable in those days was made out of rocks and it had a bird beak for a stylus, so didn’t really notice. But still seems like a weird thing to do.

Then again, there weren’t really no rules whatsomever in ‘60s rock y roll. A lot of bands didn’t even play on their studio records, so nobody was going to sweat a few studio overdubs on a supposedly “live” recording. Lots of bands (even some good ones) issued “live” albums that were nothing but studio recordings with audience screams dubbed on. And lots of live albums (even some good ones) were just issued because the band owed the record company another album and didn’t have any new songs. S&R, by contrast, had a bunch of new tunes, at least, and it wasn’t really being sold as a “live” record anyway—at least not in the way Live Dead was. So who cared about the mysterious piano at the end of Wharf Rat?

I love this concept of Mt. Rushmore shows! But my knowledge is pretty much limited to the official releases, so I can’t drop any science on yall. I agree that at least one show from Europe 72 could be carved in stone, and at least one show from May 77 should probably there. There’d have to be a show from 69. Beyond that? The only show I would insist on is Veneta. That is just a sacred document AFAIC. Here’s the Dead, playing for free, for friends, and playing their hearts out for three-plus hours in the blistering sun, and it doesn’t get much better.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Flashback to 1973... I'm 15... like Crow, gifted with an enormous bag of unsmokeable produce, baked it into brownie mix (think about the name, Betty Crocker...) and I get the munchies and so consume half the pan while my two bros share the rest. We're in Vermont, hitchhiking to a trailhead. Car pulls over, my two bros get in up front, then pack the three backpacks and me into the hatchback area. Drive of unknown duration ensues, then the driver pulls over to let us out. They pull the backpacks out and, left slumped over, basically unconscious, is my 15-yr-old long-haired dead ass, just laying there. All I heard was "Say, is that g-g-guy gonna b-b-b-e a-l-l-l-r-r-r-ight??!!" My buddies just laughed and literally dragged my body over the hatchback rim onto the ground, where I gathered myself as the driver peeled out. Thing was, we put on our backpacks and climbed a mountain. No biggie! Ah, the resiliency of youth.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....I just consumed two gummies. I'll fill in the details later.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

My friend went to his first Dead show in Vegas, in 1992 (I joined him in Vegas for the 1993 shows), and as he was walking around his first Shakedown Street, he was offered a Ganja GooBall, which he purchased and consumed. But he later confessed that he SHOULD have nibbled it, rather than devouring it, as he was pretty wiped out for most of the show once the GooBall kicked in.

A few years ago I ate a TON of fried fish and French Fries at an all-you-can-eat fish fry before going to hear a GD cover band. Between the restaurant and the show, I ate a decent amount of THC chocolate. Five hours later I went to bed, thinking the chocolate was bunk.

But, lo and behold!--I woke up at 8:00 the next morning to coach my son's 10-year old basketball team, BAKED as all get out! :-O Thankfully there was another coach, who was WAY into the games (I enjoyed designing the practices, but couldn't care less about the games), so he took care of things while I sat with my coffee, staring at the gym floor, with the sounds of twenty basketballs careeeeeeeeneeeeeneeeening around my skull during warm-ups. The other coach (who became a good friend) commented that I looked a bit out of it. I told him a few years later just what was going on that morning. About 2:00 that afternoon I finally straightened out . . .

So now I'm always skeptical of edibles; smoke goes straight to work. But I've read since that eating too much, especially fatty foods, really delays the effects of the edibles.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

If you could call it that. My buddy was cooking his own edibles for sport before most people on the east coast knew it was a thing in the late 90s. Brownies were his specialty, but he tried everything at one time or another. And his goods were always better than any manufactured product I came across in later years.
No time for brownies? No problem - fried egg sandwiches - certainly not something that tasted good, and the first time he had a difficult time getting the measurements correct. We were flying by the time we got to Six Flags. After the first roller coaster we just flopped down on a bench, two experienced stoners trying to make speech work. After a half hour we managed to articulate the word McDonalds.
Standing up looked like a couple of dudes balancing on surf boards. The McDonalds line felt like a mile long, and after a few minutes neither of us dared to speak, as we were way too close to other people than the relative safety of the park bench; and besides, the only thing coming out of our mouths was muffled quotes from Fear & Loathing (shit about Bat Country and the like, which inevitably led to obscene fits of doubled over laughter). I took a swat at a bat and knocked a guy's entire food tray on the ground. I got my shit together enough to apologize and get my wallet out, but fuck me if I could count money at that point. I ended up fanning a bunch of bills in front of him like a hand of cards and let him take what he needed.
Neither of us dared to try verbal communication again while we were in that line....We finally got to the front and my buddy tried to order. The first sentence was a garbled mess, like a kid trying to speak with peanut butter in his mouth. "I'm sorry sir I can't understand you." But I understood him perfectly. So I stepped up to help and blurted out in a muffled voice "he said, is this not a reasonable place to park???"

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Keithfan, you gave me a great laugh. Thanks!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

My preferred method. Takes some time...

I massively overdid it twice in my live.. once in college and once a couple years ago. I don't recommend this, but in my case it worked and I enjoyed every hallucinating minute of it.

As you were, back to your regularly scheduled Terrapin>Mind Left Body.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I enjoyed a treat few years (decades) ago. I had to call my wife to come pick me up. (Some folks and I were doing a drum circle).

She was a bit perturbed.

Keithfan, thank you for the story. Mmph myph whasss uup Imm trrrrr...

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I was listening to and reading the liner notes of Garcia Live Vol. 1 this morning. This one's for you, KF...

Excerpt from David Gan's liner notes:

.....Some of the Oberheim work on this collection sounds a little tweaky for today's standards, but it was state of the art at the time. "The stuff I was doing had a lot of envelope" said Ahers. ("Envelope" is the contour of a musical note, expressed as ADSR: Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release. Each parameter can be programmed by the synthesist to create aural shapes far beyond the capabilities of ordinary mechanical instruments. Garcia used an envelope filter on his guitar sometimes, most noticeably on "Estimated Prophet" with the Dead and in a sweeter, gentler way on "Catfish John" in this set. An envelope filter doesn't control the envelope of a note - it tracks the volume envelope of the note as played and modifies the tone accordingly, this yields a characteristic quacking sound on the guitar).....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Paid for an Amtrak trip to Oakland and beyond for the 86 February GD shows and as a bonus, Jerry Garcia acoustic show 2/28/86 at Marin Civic Center. Ghiradelli chocolate and dairy for the tradish stylie , carob and all boring vegan for the purists. (Or is it the other way around) So four kinds for the kindly kind folk milling around the Kaiser. (Looking for Henry Kaiser?)
“What was the use of having come from Oakland it was not natural to have come from there yes write about if I like or anything if I like but not there, there is no there there”
Gertrude Stein

“You can’t get there from here”
Unknown New England mountaineer

I had to “shake” my bootie outa there.
East & West

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

A show with some real energy

Dont dismiss 86
You would miss some fun stuff

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

46 years ago today I was at the 1,800 seat Orpheum Theatre in S.F. for a absolute knockout show with the Grateful Dead, 3 rd row. I really wish they would have released this whole run as a box set. Hopefully this show will be released as a Dave's Pick.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Outta Con-etiquette and Oakland

Don’t mess w/ Taxes

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html