• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by Dennis

Like Simonrob, I saw Seastones at one of the Ally Pally shows, at this distance in time I cant remember which 2 nights of the three I saw, but only one Seastones, so I was probably at the first night, and at a guess, night three. Unlike Simonrob, I really liked it.
Curious aside, I had a friend, Keith, who is no longer with us, swore he had a conversation with Banana, of the Youngbloods, backstage... Keith and another friend Paul, also no longer with us, were also at the last shows before the hiatus, I used to have his ticket stubb with ' the last one' printed on it. Paul moved to Israel and founded(?) the Israeli bluegrass scene, played a great deal with Grisman on his sojurns in the country. RIP both old pals.

Lonnie Smith: in my opinion his best material is on Blue Note. Afrodesia is a mixed bag ,some good some less so, we are getting pretty close to disco here. And he has a very curious singing voice, an aquired taste...but then again this is Dead Net, weve got Phil, so maybe you have a high tolerance of , shall we say, less than stella vocals.
I have never been able to get through an album by Lonnie Liston Smith, but if you are so inclined I understand his best records are on Flying Dutchman records.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Anyone have a series 2 glass they’d be willing to swap for a brand new in package series 1 Dave’s picks glass?

I cannot believe they are only running 1000 of each. I want the full set and wish they’d just offer a subscription package with the glass or some other cool LE only for subscribers thing (yes the discs are great, but setting up my adulting bar, I need some cool bar wear to go with it and I just missed the series 2 due to poor internet connection)

Please let me know if you’re up for a swap I need series 2 and I’m crossing my fingers someone else has an extra series 2!

Thanks!!!
muffin

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Never heard of goo balls on this side of the pond but a quick Google was revealing. So goo balls seem to be grain based snacks with added ganja. I have always thought that ganja is the prevalent form of cannabis in America whereas charas was predominant in my part of the world in the '70s. As such, charas was the magic ingredient added to space cakes rather than ganja. The cakes themselves were just standard bake-in-the-oven jobs. However one ingests their cannabis, the problem is knowing how much to consume and how much effect it will have. At Ally Pally I think I consumed one cake more than the optimum. My cat was a big fan of space cakes.

They remind me of free festivals from the second half of the 70s - Deeply Vale, and maybe the least attended Glastonbury on record in 1978. Where I achieved the distinction of being busted. I can remember having one in Amsterdam once, and a mind blowing truffle at WOMAD in 1999. I never knew what was in these confections-but the effects were pretty hefty.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!!!

Set 1: Big River-Brown Eyed Women-Beat It On Down The Line-Scarlet Begonias-Black Throated Wind-Row Jimmy-Mexicali Blues-Deal-The Race Is On-Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo-El Paso-Ship Of Fools-Weather Report Suite>It Must Have Been The Roses

Intermission: Seastones

Set 2: U.S. Blues-Me And My Uncle-jam>China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Beer Barrel Polka-Truckin'>major jam>Wharf Rat-Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Eyes Of The World

A high school graduation present from my brother, my best friend and I attended the seastones show at Providence on June 26, 1974. Lightning in a bottle, life changing event. Don't really recall the seastones segment, but the rest of the show was a major mind boggle, especially the China/Rider, the big jam sequence, and of course, the super rare Eyes of The World encore. I had been to one Dead show previously (12/1/73), but Providence 74 was when and where I officially got on the bus.

Ten years before we chased Augusta 84, we chased Providence 74. And what a fun pursuit that was!!

Rock on!!!

Doc
The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling.....

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just to kill time while we await DaP 39 announcement (it's gonna be tomorrow,,, trust me)

I was asked about quacking duck Scar-Fire, led me to my May 77 folder. Poked at Quack Duck, skipped over to Barton Hall (5/8/77),,,, "greatest show ever",,,, so they say.

Hit up Scar-Fire, nice,,,,,,, but, still think the greatest one is 3/22/90 Ontario, off the So Many Roads collection. That cut ALWAYS moves me to tears during the transition. What a sound.

DaP 39 tomorrow?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

A couple of excerpts from Glide Magazine (3/22/20 Issue) on the 3/22/90 show:

“This concert, particularly the jaw-dropping second set, is undeniably among the band’s best ever and absolutely deserves to be in the running for the Dead’s “Mt. Rushmore” of shows, alongside other legendary performances such as 2/13/70, 5/2/70, 5/8/77 & 10/9/89.”

“ The second set, however, is what bestows the status of “legendary” to this evening’s performance. The “Scarlet Begonias->Fire on the Mountain” pairing that opens the set is the definitive late-era version – it was officially released on the career-spanning 1999 So Many Roads boxset – and arguably only topped by perhaps a few choice late-70’s takes. ”

“ “Scarlet Begonias->Fire on the Mountain”: While the beloved Caribbean-flavored “Scarlet Begonias” made its concert debut in 1974, it took until the 1977 debut of another Garcia/Hunter gem, “Fire on the Mountain” to find its lifelong musical companion. This pairing was ultimately performed just over 240 times through 1995, most often as a welcome second set opener. Tonight’s legendary version is note-perfect throughout, starting with a nonpareil “Scarlet” that features every single band member absolutely locked-in from the opening notes. Garcia’s vocals are strong & compelling from start to finish, as is his masterful guitar solo which builds to a glorious peak before thundering back into the final verse. A purposeful and driving jam follows, with Garcia sounding like a horn-blowing jazz-master thanks to his commanding use of his MIDI effects rig, leading into the familiar two-chord progression of “Fire.” This version continues the trend that “Scarlet” set with impeccable playing from everyone, though Garcia is simply on another level as he lays waste to each solo with some of the most searing guitar riffs he’s ever produced.”

Finally: “ March 22, 1990 – Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario:

There are bad Grateful Dead shows. There are good Grateful Dead shows. There are certainly plenty of great Grateful Dead shows. And then there are shows like 3/22/90. ”

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Doc, June 1974, what a time to get on the bus! An Eyes encore and the Wall of Sound to boot, sweet. Did you think they were done after Winterland?

Dave's 39 will be released on July 30, with Dave's seaside chat on the same day. No more pre-orders. They will probably send out the Email announcement the week of 19.

Love 3/22/90, great show. Didn't Mickey Hart have his hand in Fire on the Mountain?

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

That's a tough one, because each person's would be different, but just as correct as everyone else. I would pick 3/1/69, 5/2/70, 8/13/75, then it would be a toss up between 7/13/76, 12/28/79, and 9/11/81, shows that I attended, and really enjoyed.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

I have always loved this version as well. One of my favorites.. midi you say? Well, it works here. A kaleidoscope of sounds that seemingly work quite well together.

Taking newcomers to shows in the 80's was often a perilous journey.. you never knew what you were going to get and it was frustrating going down that path when the show began to jump off the tracks. Then the trouble with the law, the coma, etc. Even during the rebirth there were some not so stellar moments.. then 89 came and it I remember noticing this consistent and strong comeback. It took some of the stress out of breaking in a newbie.

So 3/22/90 you say, I say Yessss..... that Scarlet>Fire smolders.

Everest of GD shows? I wouldn't go out on a limb on that one.. but I will take the win and concur it was a great show.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Funny. I just finished my first complete run-through of the two Spring '90 boxes, and my notes say that I did not appreciate my first listen to 3/22 all that much. I mentioned that the Scarlet-->Fire was an easy highlight, but even there wasn't floored by it. I'll try it again . . .

Now March 14th, 15th, and 24th--now THERE'S some Spring 1990! :)

Dennis--thanks, man! There are some cool cats on this board, and you're definitely one of them.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I and others had noticed that the Jerry Garcia Band Record Store Day release had disappeared from the RSD July 17 drops list. Now I know why. The following is from the latest Jerry Garcia Newsletter:

We're reaching out with a quick update on the "Jerry Garcia Band (30th Anniversary Edition)" LP set intended for release during July 17th's Record Store Day drop.

While reviewing the first completed sets received from our manufacturer, we found the pressing's fidelity was not consistent with the test pressings approved and a clear deviation from the standards we've set for our releases. A full repressing is our only acceptable path forward. While we're disappointed we won't have this collection to share on Record Store Day, we're committed to taking the time to ensure the music sounds just right (as Bobby would say).

At present we do not have a timeline for release, but we intend to complete the repressing as soon as possible with the intention of sharing it before the end of the year. We'll provide any meaningful updates as we receive them. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Gratefully,
-The Jerry Garcia Family & Round Records

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

Shame there's no Dead on this upcoming RSD. Listening to more vinyl these days, I would say my most recent Mount Rushmore show is 9/21/72 - Dicks 36 - together with the section from 9/3/72 at Boulder - a hell of a filler.

Long term Mount Rushmores are 5/2/70 and 3/1/69 - they are the ones I would lend to people to give them some idea of why I like the band so much. Although last year I was blown away all over again by "American Beauty", and lent that to my friend. She seemed a bit nonplussed - told me it reminded her of The Eagles. Sacre bleu.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

To BTK's post, he is right in that there is usually more subjectivity than objectivity, myself included. I wouldn't know where to start except to BTK's point, I prefer 12-26-79 over 12-28-79. Guess I need to put my listening "ears" on and do another listen or more complete listen to 12-28. I do think that Jerry needs to be added to Mt.Rushmore. Better yet, find a nice mountain in Cali and do a dead Mt. Mahogany Rushmore.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Gary, I heard Wavy Gravy talking about the Mt Rushmore of famous freaks and who would be on it, he said, Jerry Garcia, Ken Kesey, Neal Cassidy, and Allen Ginsburg.

Interesting points about the 4 heads. Since I am younger, not by much, I still am a little light on the depth of Ginsberg. Know he played a big part and had a big Mind. I thought maybe Babbs (or maybe Kerouac) over Ginsberg. I need to do a lot more searching and reading of his works. I understand his association with Burroughs and Kerouac. In fact, I really need to do my second reading of "One the Road," it does stay on my bedside table. I have never even read Dharma, Big Sur, or Desolation Angels. Some of this stuff might be my nursing home reading. Just the band, the scene, and hippies in general make a lifetime of reading and discovery. Sure helps pass the days and hours away!

Thanks

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I couldn't let today go by without suggesting strong consideration for 7/8/78 being included on the Mount Rushmore of Dead shows. That entire box set is so juicy good, it's not even funny . . .

3/1/69, 8/27/72, 5/8/77, and 7/8/78 for the mountain? Some obvious choices, true, but it would be difficult to argue AGAINST any of them. Are there shows with better jams? Yes. But those four shows just start in the groove and never get out of it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

DHBrewer - Agreed! That whole box is incredible. Red Rocks Rox, from Bertha to Wharf Rat. A worthy selection.

user picture

Member for

7 years

The 5th person on Mt. Rushmore should be Alfred E Neuman. I think the mt. Rushmore pick should include 4/2/73.

Nice time signature, and I meant to listen to that today but got pulled elsewhere. So now the horns of the dilemma are whether to crack a cold one and listen to it now?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Just to toss in a grenade: I've never been impressed much by 5-8-77, Cornell. At all. It's a good show, but one of the ones in the box that precede impressed me more. But then I'm a died-in-the-wool Greaseman.

Personally I can't get into ranking stuff. I like "tiers," if you will: top-tier, mid-tier, etc. Even then, you groove with parts of a show, a whole show, is tonight vanilla bean ice cream or mint chip? Which flavor of Jerome do you like best? Is it an era? A specific guitar? What about the ensemble? Is Phil monstering and/or Billy? Is the tape exquisite cuz Bobby's high in the mix?

I guess for me it's a wonderful swirl of variables, any one or two or three that bubble to the top in a song, a sequence. And that's -- to me -- how it should be in a band of multiple humans (presumably) over time, using different instruments, playing different setlists in different venues and cities under various "conditions" (mine and theirs).

In short: Good Old Grateful Dead, a fascinating amalgam of elements, fired in the crucible of sound and time.

And I haven't hit the pipe yet............

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

His post game interview with the highlight of the night. A pretty boring game to end the season. Too bad.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Sounds awesome.
I have the show on DVD with AUD sound.
Nice to hear a SBD recording.

....it's been a year since I've checked it out for dangs sake.
I'm waiting for a box packaging and art that tops July '78. Maybe the next one?
Edit....
I remember this Must Have Been The Roses. Very nice.
Edit again.....Mount Rushmore talk?
That's only 4. I'm good.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!!

Let’s poke the bear, beat the beehive, stir up controversy, and then run for cover……..

My personal Mt Rushmore:
2/14/68
2/28/69
5/15/70
4/28/71
5/26/72

Of course, we need a larger mountain, so we can all add four or five shows to our list…..

Never particularly cared for Cornell. Possibly biased due to actually attending the show the previous night, and having an excellent soundboard recording of the following night. Not a bad show, per se, but I think that, like 4/29/71 and 8/27/72, one of the great overrated shows in Grateful Dead history.

There, I said it. I shall now go hide under a rock……………..

Rock on!!!

Doc
In the presence of eternity, the mountains are as transient as the clouds…..

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Gary - the first book I read concerning the Beats was about them, rather than by one of them. Called "Kerouac" by Ann Charters ( I don't think she was "one" herself, but I may be wrong) Anyway-its a fascinating account of the real life events and characters and seemed to form the basis of many of Kerouac's best novels. Dharma Bums was the first novel I read by him. You have a treat in store!

Of the others, to me, William Burroughs seems the most interesting-although he is no one's idea of a hippy. My favourite book by him isn't a novel, its a collection of his letters from 1945-1959. There's also a great biography of him, by Barry Miles called simply "William S.Burroughs A Life". He also had a great voice - so its fascinating to hear him read his work on recordings.

Hendrixfreak - yes, it can be a bit meaningless comparing great shows from different eras. Even-especially- on their recordings. My two favourites by the Dead are "Anthem of the Sun" and "American Beauty". Good luck comparing the merits of those two before trying to decide which is best.

Warts and all..

I like seeing 2/14/68 on that list. I have an affinity for 5/26/72 as well.

I am not sure perfection really suited the Grateful Dead.. it was more the journey than the destination.. the long strange trip.

Good conversation though.. I am not much for picking winners and losers, more the last thing I listened too.. what I am listening to now and what may (or may not) come tomorrow.

So glad they recorded so much, very thankful for that. We might have to figure a way to carve a 74 show on that mountain too.. but we would never be able to agree on which one.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Well, if there has to be a 74, obviously it's Providence...........

Second tier:
10/13/68
11/8/69
9/20/70
12/14/71
5/3/72

See ya in the morgue,

Rock on!!

Doc
Providence has its appointed hour for everything. We cannot command results, we can only strive.....

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

It should be pointed out that when I picked 3/1/69, 8/27/72, 5/8/77, and 7/8/78 for enshrinement on the mountain, I was doing so with an eye toward the museum being accessible to any and all visitors, not just to the hard-core Heads. Are there shows I enjoy more than some of the shows I picked? Yes. But if I were to hold up the entirety of the Grateful Dead's live legacy to the general public, then I would tend toward representing it with shows that held instant appeal, that had stood the test of time, and that had other intriguing qualities about them besides the music.

Similarly, the Presidents enshrined on Mt. Rushmore (which I visited last fall) are not necessarily the BEST Presidents of all time, but are very famous Presidents with many intriguing stories and qualities about them. They were Presidents during exciting historical eras, and so got a bump in the standings partially by being around when times got interesting.

The four concerts I mentioned have great sound quality, which makes them accessible to all. The 1969 show demonstrates Primal Dead without scaring off the uninitiated, as an earlier show might. Veneta has the "sound" of LSD imprinted on it, plus has a groovy video to draw in those who need to view things to understand them. Cornell has volumes written about it, which allows a newbie to take a further historical dive after being drawn in, and Red Rocks has the amazing physical setting, which a newcomer could still visit or has visited.

PERSONAL Mt. Rushmore? Well, then, I might say 11/10/67, 11/17/73, 10/29/77, and 1/22/78. But then I would regret not having 2/14/68 or something from the Fillmore West Feb./March run . . .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Okay maybe not in line with this forum but it is about Jerry music
JGB vinyl No longer coming out on RSD july17th.. Garcia family announced
According to a statement posted on the official Jerry Garcia social media pages, the first pressings that arrived from the vinyl manufacturer were not in line with the quality presented on test pressings. The Jerry Garcia Family noted that the pressing’s fidelity was “a clear deviation from the standards we’ve set for our releases.” So instead of the originally planned limited pressing of 7,500 copies, the JGF has decided that “A full repressing is our only acceptable path forward.”

“While we’re disappointed we won’t have this collection to share on Record Store Day, we’re committed to taking the time to ensure the music sounds just right (as Bobby would say),” the statement read.
As a result of this unexpected delay, Jerry Garcia Band will not be ready in time for July 17th. The Jerry Garcia Family noted that it does not have a timeline for the release, but intends to complete the repressing in time for the end of the year. So even though the delay in arrival is not ideal for fans, the decision to go with a full repressing for the album will ultimately result in more copies made available to more fans.
Bad news it is not coming out on 17 July. Everyone who has the CD will agree this is a monster show. Good news when it does come out it may not be limited so the greedy ebayers will lose out. Let the music play for everyone
Drp out

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

So let me fill it with a joke, as it’s been a long week for all:

A man walks into a bar and sees his friend sitting beside a 12-inch pianist. He says to his friend, “That’s amazing. Where did he come from?”
The friend pulls out an old lamp and tells him the genie inside will grant him one wish. The man rubs the bottle, and to his amazement, a puff of purple smoke spews out and slowly collects in the form of a genie. In a booming voice the genie tells the man he has but one wish.
The man thinks and says, “I wish I had a million bucks.” All of a sudden the bar is filled with ducks, bursting from the door and the windows, standing on top of the bar, dunking their heads into people’s drinks.
“What just happened?!” the guy asks. His friend replies, “I know. Did you really think I wanted a 12-inch pianist?”

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Gary - If you are delving into the writings of the Beats, especially Kerouac and Cassady, I highly recommend Carolyn Cassady’s “Off The Road”, if you can find it (not sure it’s still in print). It is a peak behind the curtain, so to speak. Another great read is Neal Cassady’s “The First Third”. I thought Cassady merely this cartoonish character of lore through the Beats, the Pranksters, and the Dead, but he actually was a pretty decent writer. I personally couldn’t get into Burroughs, never fan of the heroin scene and the gray shade it put on his writing, but Kerouac is something else!

Angry Jack, VGuy - Agreed, that final series was poor entertainment. It was pre-ordained who was getting the Cup, pretty anti climatic.

PPS - For all who have weighed in, this new Garcia release is one of the better recent ones! I am not a vinyl guy, but sorry for those that are. I know I collect music through Neil Young’s site, and he is constantly beating the drum about vinyl pressing problems, tons of delays.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

My initial post never made it, so a few quick comments.

The problem with Rushmore is that unlike Dead shows, we still get new presidents. We will likely have a transformational president in the future worthy of inclusion, but he/she will never make it. The project began in 1927 and was completed in 1941. Teddy Roosevelt is up there whereas FDR is a far more worthy president, in my opinion. He simply became president after the fact. To me Teddy is like Cornell. Yeah, he is up there but there are likely better choices.

I look at it this way. One show from FW69 needs to be there as does one from E72. You can pick your own, but I favor 2/27/69 and 5/3/72. Any from FW69 are fine as are 4/8/72 and 5/26/72.

Not to sound like a homer, but I am with Doc on 74. It needs to be there and Providence would be my choice.

That leaves one. 77 will get the nod from most. Cornell gets lots of love, but I would go with either 5/22/77 or 5/25/77.

My fourth choice would be 6/24/70.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Forrest Gump moment . My grandmother on my moms side of the family had a farm in Briarcliff Manor, New York State. In 1959 Khrushchev was visiting the United States. On September 18, 1959 he drove in a motorcade from New York City to Hyde Park to visit Elenor Roosevelt. My grandmothers farm was right next to whatever the name of that parkway was. So I and my family all gathered less than 100’ from the entrance to the farm and saw the motorcade drive by. Being the five year old wag I was I asked, “was that Khrushchev on one of the motorcycles?”
Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin in “The Wild Ones” was still looming large in the collective psyche of America.
Jack Kerouac lived in Northport, New York on Long Island from August 1959 to April 1961. As my family moved over to Con-etiquette in 1960 I lived less than 10 miles from Jack, his mum and his cat. Well I was a pint sized hep cat for six. And by the end of the 6-tees I was a regular aficionado of muggles (the mean green, not Harry Potter) or boo. I hadn’t got hip to the Mezz yet but had done a Stan Laurel impersonation on the Chuck McCann Show while still in the 4th grade.
The succession of tea down the pike was Rabbit turned on one of the Poet Laureates from West Virginia to his first THC , who in turn turned on my brother to his first time who at the very least influenced me to become a seeker (not the Australian pop / folk group -1962) but it was Nantucket surfer Murphy who ignited that first spark and flash and majestic buzz that echoed from then and there all the way to this here and now and on into eternity (quien sabe?).My first buzz with big Ben was while listening to the first Led Zeppelin album (the band not the Hindenburg) for my first time, Presidents Holiday 1969.
Dear readers , if you’ve made it this far with my east coast upbringing literate ramble , you are probably wondering “what the fuck does this have to do with the Grateful Dead.” As Jerry said,” I identify more with the Beats than with the ....” Phil in the blanks however you’re moved.

“I went into a restaurant lookin’ for the cook
I told them I was an editor of a famous etiquette book
The waitress he was handsome, he wore a powder blue cape
I ordered some suzette, I said , “could you please make that crepe?”
Just the then the whole kitchen exploded from boilin’ fat.
Food was flyin’ everywhere, I left without my hat

Bob Dylan’s 115th dream

Maybe Nikitas ( the Communist , not the hockey player) shoe moment was what initiated the shoe phone for Maxwell , the Smart guy. 99 was an 11.
I can say I know Jack now but 60 plus years ago I only knew motorcycles, huge American cars and my favorite, trains. Read “October in the Railroad Earth” , the short story, not the band.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

Thanks for the tidbit about Carolyn!. Book on the way.

More later,

G

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

The version I know involves a guy with a golfball sized noggin. He had asked a magical mermaid for

a
little
head

(uproarious laughter)

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

PF - There are so many variations on the “guy walks into a bar” jokes, that no matter if you’ve invited the Church choir over for a barbecue, or you are with your buddies, you have a good one or two!

Gary - I’m glad you found the book. Her story is more - shall we say, nuanced - than what we may publicly know about Cassady, and the Beats, in general. She was a saint to put up with the guy.

Strider - That is a very cool Kruschev story! That tops my most “I’ve met” or “I once saw” stories!

Jack - Wise to cover all the bases as far as Dead eras goes, but with a band that has their legacy, as others have rightly mentioned, picking only four for Mt Rushmore is subjective, and challenging. Maybe instead of Mt Rushmore, we have a white board Menu board, where the Daily Special is constantly changing. “Today, serving 7/8/78, with one choice of side. Drinks extra!”

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

You did a great job, DHBrewer.. no wrong or right answers here, just individual streams of consciousness.

12" Pianist.. Ha.. didn't see that coming.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

.... little Dennis dancing around Grandma's kitchen.....

Gray skies are gonna clear up, Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up, Put on a happy face.
Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy, It's not your style
You'll look so good that you'll be glad Ya' decide to smile!

Pick out a pleasant outlook, Stick out that noble chin;
Wipe off that "full of doubt" look, Slap on a happy grin!
And spread sunshine all over the place, Just put on a happy face!
And if you're feeling cross and bitterish Don't sit and whine
Think of banana split and licorice And you'll feel fine

I knew a girl so glooming She'd never laugh or sing
She wouldn't listen to me Now she's a mean old thing
So spread sunshine all over the place
Just put on a happy face

.... I think I understood you perfect Strider,,,, Ramble on! :-)

PS - Did your brother become a New Seeker?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Great song by Led Zeppelin ( the band, not the Hindenburg)

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

I once saw a pic in one of the music magazines of Robert Plant carrying on to a very bored looking Gregg Allman, and it was captioned something to the effect of “Robert Plant Rambles On To Gregg Allman”, and I don’t know why, I just bust a gut laughing at it. I remember Creem magazine were The Best for their captions with pictures. Really great staff of writers that knew how to stick a pin or two into an ego!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

a week from today for an announcement of DP 39?

I'm guessing a non-stellar era for 39 and perhaps a double '69 for # 40 to gin up subscriptions.

Which begs the question: what is ideal timing for the box? At this point, I'd guess early September.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Hoping the box announcement happens in August or early September.
New Dave’s subscriptions usual start Novemberish I believe. Let’s do this Dave!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Well, I wasn't going to do this, because it's a fool's errand, but for some reason, after reading AJS' post, I was inspired: so without further ado, bring on the heckles and cream pies; Mt. JerMore
3/2/69
5/7/72
12/5/71(with tribute/apology to Doc)
11/8/69
And because I can, a fifth- 12/12/69

I agree that you almost HAVE to have one from FW'69 & E'72

Playing all Dead today-7/8/78
4/6/69
10/9,10/80
3/22/90
12/1/71

product sku