• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

While we wait, and once we get word of a release, well...we'll be waiting again, eh.

Cued up 9.16.72....monumental showing.

It's got: ....Bird Song, Stella Blue, Playin, Morning Dew, Dark Star....

and so much more

BRING IT

user picture

Member for

11 years

I'll represent that... just short of 70 trips around the sun...catching up on the many posts with a few comments. No question that our "hosts" will wait until after the release of S&R, soon the box set announce circa July 1. It's all about the Ben Jammin's. More Pig, please.

After leaving DC area for school in Maine, pro hockey became a big deal. Not a rabid fan, have been to pro games as well as a few at Dartmouth, those Ivy guys will play hard and there is nothing, nothing like in person live hockey down on the ice.

Noted earlier, missed a few east coast shows before finally catching the GOGD in Baltimore 1973 for the first time, the Wolfman Jack show. Saw them a few months later at Watkins Glen. First "rock" show was Jimi at the Washington Hilton March 1968, had to be driven there, thanks dad.

Transitioning to celebrity, so much is chance... first big live music event was at the White House, when the Black Watch played there early November 1963... afterwards, this sixth grader had the chance to shake hands with JFK and Jackie before the unthinkable happened eleven days later.

Through a long episode as a working chef, met some top food dogs, including Paul Bocuse. In various restaurants, cooked for Ed Muskie, Phil Rizzuto, Peter Ueberroth but best of all, cause I met and asked him to sign a menu for me, Cab Calloway.

Most recent in person, backstage at the Kennedy Center June 2017 with Pat Metheny, Antonio Sanchez, Linda May Han On and Gwilym Simcock the night Pat was announced NEA Jazzmaster... bushed from the long tour, they had about thirty minutes before they had get on their bus that night to their final show in Cleveland.

Hanging with Martin Hayes after a small house concert in northern NH.

Last six
Bitches Brew: Miles
Gypsy Rumble: Stephane Wrembel Trio w/ David Grisman
Stratospheric Boogie: The flaming guitars of Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant (novelty item)
Borboletta: Santana
Turmoil & Tinfoil: Billy Strings
Northern Song: Steve Tibbetts

Any comments made previously, regarding audio issues with DaP 38 are tempered with the warts and all acceptance in delirious joyfulness that we have this music so well preserved for us. The Bonus Disc is tremendous.

Now where is that 69/72 box set announce??

I still have never listened to Gainesville...Since everyone raves about, I was hoping for a release. Since they really started releasing stuff, I waited for the release. Now I think I need to pop my cherry and go ahead and listen to it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Just kidding of course. Really appreciate DMCVT and Dogon and Snafu chiming in for me or us. It really means a lot to me, and I know this padawan could learn a lot about the lifestyle from you guys.

Example: Just the little nugget from Dogon about Mungo Jerry and In the Summertime, had to go down a little rabbit hole of discovery. Isn't that what this all about, helping each other during the trying times. Of course I remember In the Summertime but I was just about to begin grade school when it came out.

Fortunately, I had a mom that played the radio in the car. So, as I have stated, I was born with some health issues which meant going to the doctors a lot as a child. The good that came out of it, was I came to consciousness very early. Therefore, I can remember even hearing Sgt. Peppers as a kid on the car radio. Hmmm, think that had any influence? So Dogon thanks for forth good material to chew on.

DMCVT - again just another great post on several of the streams of consciousness we have been discussing. Dogon and Snafu have given me just some perspective when I listen to shows. DMCVT the whole post is incredible. "I didn't realize it would be important 50 years later." Nice one! Snafu.

It still blows my mind just the things y'all saw, for example, DMCVT seeing Jimi I can only imagine. So that bears the question would you have rather seen Pig or Jimi? OK enough of that.

Maybe, if we can remember, we can make June the month of "Bring out your Dead" Heads from way back, month.

Again, thanks so much for posting, it means a lot to this head.

G

Hey Simon and Dogon - search youtube for Grateful Dead at Bickershaw there is some new video of Bickershaw. Simon, well new compared to when I sent you the little Bickershaw video I sent you the last time I searched.

Any way, It's Friday. Time to mix up the pitcher!

g

... this goes out to you! Peace be with you! 🙏😎
What's new, pussycat? Woah, woah
What's new, pussycat? Woah, woah, woah
Pussycat, pussycat, I've got flowers
And lots of hours to spend with you
So go and powder your cute little pussycat nose
Pussycat, pussycat, I love you, yes, I do
You and your pussycat nose
Pussycat, pussycat, you're so thrilling
And I'm so willing to care for you
So go and make up your big little pussycat eyes
You and your pussycat eyes
Pussycat, pussycat, you're delicious
And if my wishes can all come true
I'll soon be kissing your sweet little pussycat lips
You and your pussycat lips
You and your pussycat eyes
You and your pussycat nose
*Performance by Tom Jones!
Have a grateful day!
All right all right all right! ...Now, Let’s get this party started! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I usually like to read the posts since I don't have much interesting to say. I am here every day and once in a while somebody says something that makes me perk up. Hendrixfreak, you said 6/17/75 is a returned Betty Board. Is there a list somewhere? Thank you. I listen to DaP 38 almost every day. I think it's wonderful. Jerry and Bobby both have above normal nights. I can't think of a show where they sounded better together. They both have a great night.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

Pop that Gainesville cherry!

Just be sure to give it your _full_ attention, and play it loud.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Good call on the 5/3 Other One. Of all the E72 stuff, The Other One was the toughest for me to get on board with. The Space parts and meltdowns were appearing for just about the first time. I was much more used to the Cryptical Envelopment era, where they rocked harder and Spaced less....but man, once you get to appreciate what they're doing on those longer Spacier Other Ones. The first one to grab me from this tour was the Beat Club performance, and then Hundred Year Hall on 4/26. Great stuff. Wow wow wow wow wow. 4/11 from New Castle is also hot. And Part 2 from opening night at the Wembley swim club.

Well - this Road Trips Wall of Sound 6/18/74 is some serious shit. Certainly Keith's best Morning Dew.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

A boring and poorly played game. Each team with a ridiculous giveaway.

Good luck in OT.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....if you know, you know. Patches for the game winner.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

The defence left MAF to dry…

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....because of games like this.
Flower fucked up big time. Huge non call on the high stick by Marchessault in OT. 4 minutes easy. Vegas deserved to lose.
Onward!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

At Hollywood, the audience liked Mungo Jerry so much that they were rescheduled for a second performance!
They were basically a jug band but Mother Mcrees they were not! Of course the song In the Summertime became an irritating ear worm that you could not escape that year,

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Fleury definitely let his mind leave the building during that tying goal. But, Vegas outshot them almost 2-1, forced more giveaways on the Habs by far, and out hit them. Just an adjustment hear and there. They got smacked a bit, they’ll smarten up.

“ When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it.”
-Sam Spade

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Keith fan - synchronicity at work-yesterday I listened to both the Other Ones from 5/3/72 and 6/18/74 too. Both fascinating deep space excursions. Amazing how this piece, among others, developed from 67-74 but also specifically from 72-74. In this period they seemed to move away from earlier psychedelic and primal high energy force fields to a more modern jazz/avant-garde approach. Increasingly so as the timespan developed.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

Nice
Albuuuuquerrrrrqueeee

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Trainwrecked, after I posted that statement I went looking for a l*nk. Typical: talk first, find proof of statement later.

I clearly recall seeing 6-17-75 on a list of the returned tapes and getting really excited. Great, short show. My quick search the other day turned up a couple incomplete lists, and none had 6-17-75. So I 'm not certain where I saw the list that included 6-17-75, but the lists that pop up first in a G search have some interesting content. And of course many have been released in the past ~3 years.

To sum up: definitely saw 6-17-75 on a list of returned Bettys, no idea where I saw that. But I posted the l*nk in this forum over the past year.

Feel like a ... ROBOT, mucho tequila last night.

Edit: So, to "protect our data, TPTB are restricting specific words in our posts, rather than add a security filter to ensure that hackers don't invade. That strikes me as a** backward...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I tried posting it last night but was blocked.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

OMG, Bailey Q, fo sure, yeah, Lonnie who?
Loved Bailey, the look and the person!
Man, I love the memories you guys conjure up!
RIP Herb!
Another awesome underrated 70s show!

GAINSVILLE, don’t think about it, just do it!

DCVMT: nice to see ya, thanks for sharing!

Guessing from looking at the GD June bulletin, since it’s mostly 71, that perhaps the box will be 71?
If so, what 71?

No Links, lame! That’s half the fun here. Why is it every time I like something in life, some jackass has to wreck it?

STOKED for Shakedown stream and another cool show I’ve not heard!
Wonder if this is just a special deal, celebrating RH and his amazing gifts to us all, or will it be a regular thing again, or will it be tied to product some how? Dammit Dave, inquiring minds want, no, NEED to know lol...

Skipped the game last night, it was just to nice out and was digging tunes with the Mrs, sounds like I outta check out at least the end?

6/17/75: pretty sure I remember seeing that that show is in the vault, probably via a l*nk that someone here kindly posted, to enhance our knowledge and enjoyment of this band/music, that drives us to purchase more than we’ll ever actually need, so we should probably stop allowing that...? Mmmmmhhhhhhmmm?

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Looks like they don't allow posting anymore, to bad . I never would have seen that cool list of all the guitars that Garcia owned over the years if it hadnt been posted by Keith fan, and all the other cool posts that have been on here, I'm gonna miss them. I wonder if they will ban the hookers and all the business posts that have nothing to do with the Dead.

How long there current distribution contract is. It was 10 years and renewed just a couple years back, I think. With changes, maybe renewed contract is void or has a time clause to make decisions after a major change. Weird thing, is our posts are part of their marketing arm...

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Dogon

Yeah I noticed that in the deadbase the other day. Did you see Sabbath? I was a huge Sabbath fan until I really got into the Dead, so around 83 Sabbath was gone, except for an occasional listen. Just dont listen to much stuff not associated with the Dead. I bet Sabbath 1970 was wild. Have you found tapes of that show?

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I eat earworms for breakfast. Now surf or fight.

With two 71 shows coming out last year, and this here Skull and Roses anniversary coming out, I think a 71 box might be over egging the pudding somewhat.

I think the Shakedown Street on the 23rd with Jim Lauderdale is in celebration of the date of what would have been Robert Hunter’s 80th birthday. Arguably the second best lyricist ever. True anecdote. A few months ago I received the Stanley Foundation NRPS collection, and as I’m reading the booklet, there is a nice dedication to Mr Hunter, which struck me as pretty cool. While I am opening this package, for some unknown reason, I’m playing Hunter’s spoken word album, Sentinel. That gave me a chill, a good one. An album I rarely touch, but if you are in the mood, it’s pretty neat, and he was an amusing narrator of his own wonderful prose.

I agree with DaveRock - I think 1971 has been very well served lately, so likely not a candidate for a box set. I did see Dave’s most recent Twitter feed was a photo taken at the seashore…you don’t think he had his video camera, too…like filming a SeaSide chat, do you….

Oro - Ms Quarters was the loveliest lady to grace television late 1970s/early 1980s, which says a lot, because she was competing with the Angels, etc.
You didn’t miss A Great Game last night, kind of a comedy of errors from both sides. I expect next one to be much better caliber. Just hoping VGuy is keeping cool in those Mars-like temps there, and now with his team down 2-1…Maybe thoughts of Bailey Quarters will cheer him up!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Gary, there is always someone here who can answer your questions.

I saw Black Sabbath live at the Portsmouth Polytechnic Student's Union building on May 2, 1970. This was less than 3 months after their first album was released. Touted as a "heavy" band (the term "heavy metal" came much later) they were indeed heavy but most of all they were loud, really really loud. The Student's Union building was a barn of a place and it was shaking. People living miles away complained about the noise. As a result no more gigs were permitted there until the place had been soundproofed, something I don't think ever happened. The band had been well hyped by the music press so the place was packed. Everyone wanted to know what this sinister new band was all about. Ringing in the ears for days afterwards is what they were all about. I was suitably impressed as were most people present. A memorable evening. You had to be there!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Simon has already responded about Sabbath, but I never saw them, had one pal who had the first album,he bought it because it was on the new progressive record label Vertigo, but I was never really interested in heavy music.
The Deads set at Hollywood was used as the soundtrack to Rik Griffins exhibition at Londons Roundhouse organised by Alcock and Dick, who were the BBC cameramen dosed by the Deads crew at Hollywood, (which resulted in,shall we say, less than optimal footage for the planned BBC Dead special, but as noted the soundmen did their job and recorded the concert). Alcock and Dick became fans/converts and subsequently took over UK distribution of Dead/Mouse tees circa Skullf*ck/Ace/ NRPS/Rolling Thunder.
I was at the opening and closing of Riks show where I met him with John Platt( perhaps some UK Dead heads will recognise the name of the editor of the magazine Comstock Load) and came away with several signed exhibits at 5 quid a pop, Rik was seemingly skint and needed funds to return Stateside. I still have my signed copy of Gathering of the Tribes, Human Be In poster till this day.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

If nobody ever mentioned a specific show again, you'd still hop on any GD release like a b*tch in heat.

I mean, here we all are, like vultures on a fencepost, just waiting wating waiting for the box set news to drop and wagging our tongues over two more DPs and some other release.

Daverock: "overegging the pudding"? This week's award for best use of language. Especially as this phrase was used to discuss 1971 GD releases! No wonder I lurk around here...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Gary - I was a bit late to the party, but the first time I saw Black Sabbath was in March 1973. It was like being hit by a cannonball. Amazing that the building was still standing by the end of the night. Their albums up to that point had been quite slow in tempo, so I was taken by surprise by how rock n' roll the gig ( a gig-not a show) was. It felt like my very soul was vibrating in tune. Some of it turned up on the live album, "Live at Last", which has been included in the Volume 4 Deluxe Edition. Not that I have it. But between 1973-1975 I couldn't get enough, and saw them as often as I could up to 75.
Then my tastes changed, as I discovered the Dead, Quicksilver et al. But I did see them again one last time in February 2017-an incredible night, during which they focussed almost exclusively on their first 4 albums. There is a great dvd/blu ray of the last night from that tour-2/4/2017 in Birmingham.
Very rehearsed, compared to The Dead. In 2017 even the solos sounded the same as their recorded counterparts from 45-47 years earlier !

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I loved that expression also. Never heard that one,,, is it common in the UK?

Box set announcement? I think if we're getting one the announcement will be a month away. Next should be DaP 39 announcement I would think. It's scheduled for release 7/30 on my chart. I don't think we'll see two things come up at the same time. But what do I know.

Guesses on 39? (we know we're getting that!)

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Well that's easy, that. would be a 6/6/70. , 9/20/70, or a ,10/31/69........ yeah fat chance. Probably something from 78 or 88.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kid

An early 80’s Brent show.
But this time one with good sound quality.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

But what about Gainesville? Lol
Sorry, it was too easy!

Oh yeah, lol, forgot to 👍 for the egging/pudding comment brilliant as they say.
Love the English banter, hope someday I can go...

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

# 39 will actually be Oakland Coliseum, 12-26-81.

That was SO EASY!

Unless of course (hedging, naturally), it's time for grease, which would mean two back-to-back '69 shows on 3 packed discs.

Meanwhile, where's my '66-'68, five-disc "special box." (Special because they can't release that period on the DP series as each show is short and they don't have many in the vault. And too few to make a real 20 disc box.)

I'm "California Dreamin'"..............

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis - Oroborous - like a lot of what I say, I got it from somewhere else, without being aware of exactly where that somewhere else is.
I've just had a look online, and discovered that it is an English phrase, that first came into use in the mid 19th century. God, I'm older than I thought.

Mentioning the dentist reminds me of the Seastones from 6/23/74 that I heard earlier today - the aural equivalent of having a tooth out.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

TPTB announce a Meet Up At the Movies that features 6/22/91. The DVD of that show comes in the box set that includes CDs of 6/22/91, 6/24-25/91, and 6/28/91.

And then DaP40 (skipping ahead) is four discs of the best stuff from 1968 that is lying about in bits and pieces. Dave gave us a surprise four-disc set to wrap things up last year, so maybe he'll do so again?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Weird.. certain words and keystrokes are restricted . So much for my kick off advertisement of my new Belarus limo Uber Service..

I think I am allergic to hockey. I've watched a few of these playoff games and they seem to be followed by getting to work a little late, feeling a little groggy and productivity post game day is off by 15%.

Is this normal?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Was there. It has an Eleven Jam. Good memories.

Not weird but Weir-d.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Bruh

Having fun tho

This is the thick air that Weir was actually thinking of

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....remind me later.
See Jim! Certain phrases.....thick air indeed. Wait, what?
Stoltz is in the neighborhood.

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

Really good pick and incredible job mixing/mastering. Is there going to be a Box this year??? Feels late on any announcement.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

June 21, 1971
Chateau d’Herouville, Herouville, France

Speaking of cooking, the Dead bring some American musical cuisine to French soil…..

Set 1: Truckin'-Loser-Me And Bobby McGee-Next Time You See Me-Morning Dew-Me And My Uncle-Hard To Handle-China Cat Sunflower >I Know You Rider-Promised Land-Deal-Playing In The Band-Big Boss Man-Black Peter-Bertha

Set 2: Casey Jones-That's It For The Other One>Wharf Rat-Sugar Magnolia-Sing Me Back Home-Johnny B. Goode

Cleary one of the most unusual, interesting “venues” that hosted the Dead in 1971. Built in 1740, on the remains of an even earlier chateau. At one time, the residence of Chopin. Painted by Van Gogh. After a fire in 1969, a 16 track recording studio was built there. There is no “seating capacity”—the Dead’s show was outside, on the grounds of the chateau.

Bakersfield, Pigpen, country/Weir/western, rockers, soulful, jamming, everything the French could expect from les morts reconnaissants…………

High quality audio AND video exists of this show. Definitely worth a listen. And a look !!!

Profitez et soyez bien!

Rock on!!!

Doc
Poor France, thy fine climate, rich vineyards, and the wishes of the learned avail nothing; thou art a destitute beggar, and not the powerful friend thou wert represented to me…..

Hendrixfreak- a 5 disc 66-68 special would be great. But I would also prefer a one disc Dave's from 66-68 to a three disc one from.....fill in blank. It would be a pity if strict adherence to the three disc format ruled out some of the most ground breaking and spectacular shows they ever played.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html