• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Now that's a good guess. 5/25 is a Top Pocket show, good enough for the subscription opener.

70878, Road Trips Vol 4 #5, Boston Music Hall 6–9–76 you say? That one will turn some heads around here. A favorite of several benevolent tricksters that frequent these boards.

I don't think I've seen them referred to on here before. A couple of the best singles ever released-"I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" and "Get Me To The World On Time." I first heard "Dream" on Lenny Kaye's seminal compilation of so called "garage bands" from the mid 60s, "Nuggets"-which came my way in the mid 70s. The first two Prunes albums are stuffed full of nuggets, too.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

Hey Doc, thanks for the shout out, I enjoy your write ups of the 1971 shows. My brother's first show was in 1971. 41 years ago today, I was at Winterland to see the Grateful Dead, I believe at least a couple of other folks on this forum were at this show. I thought it was a cool show, killer Black Peter. my first Dire Wolf and a Shakedown Street encore that sounded like the version on the album, there's a song that really improved with age.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

JGB 30th Anniversary Vinyl on sale now on Garcia Family Provisions Official Store

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks Jim, it is 6-9-76. I have trouble reading psychedelic fonts. Today many of those Dick's and Road Trips are already gone. Faster than Dave's 40. Although I complained about the sale prices they're probably better than the aftermarket and they're in new condition. And HF, it was hard to pass up some of those gems like the Prunes. They almost had me at Doris Day and the Bobby Vinton X-mas had me at just the cover with him sporting those classic Planert made in Chicago lake skates on his shoulder. I still have some of those from my Dad and they're great on a long stretch of ice like Blue Mesa Reservoir. Blades are longer than hockey but shorter than speed skates. Just wear a life vest in early season and bring a landscape spike to pull yourself out with if you have to.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The limited clamshell version comes with 180g vinyl discs, the "normal" version comes with 140g vinyl discs. So sez the Garcia family site.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

They almost always get me at Doris Day,,, what can I say, Que Sera, Sera?

Probably obvious, but I NEEDED the foil wrapped Jerry, with etching on last side,,,,, oh and it's limited!!!!

Now that George Harrison set,,,, I could let that pass! 1,000 bucks,,,, I don't think so! Sure I spent that much on the piece of tin foil Jerry used to chase the dragon,,,, but that was different :-)

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

is that I was trying to make a joke out of the Electric Prunes reference.

And the responses (looking at you, daverock) are knowledgeable about the band and taking me seriously.

Although I had heard of that band and, just maybe, heard them, back in the '60s, now that I'm 64 any reference to prunes is supposed to be humorous. At least to me. So, now I gotta hit U Toob to hear them.

As is often the case, the joke -- my own joke! -- is on me. So be it.

FWIW, I did get the 3-CD All Things Must Pass, as I recall thinking when it came out that that would've been an all-time fabulous single LP release. The jams are pretty monotonous to me. So I re-sequenced 2/3 of the song tracks into a road trip treat and it is stunning. And I saved $970 off the big box. I mean, I'm seein' shit as it is, I don't need no stinkin' garden gnomes!!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I missed out on the Blood Sweat and Tears CD. I started my order in the morning, couldn't finish, and by the afternoon it was sold out! Damn! I did get Freddie King, Dave Mason and Bob Wills CD's.
Both the Booker T CD's are great, I like the first one best. I also recommend the Rascals Cd and the Mama's and Papas's Cd from RG.

RIP Ron Tutt. I saw him a few times with the Jerry Band at the small club Stone scene in Berkeley, San Francisco and Palo Alto. Rolling Stone has an interesting interview with him talking about working with Jerry and how it was different than working with Elvis or Neal Diamond.

Thanks to everyone here contributing interesting conversation and music tips.

Music is the Best!

...76?
6/9?
Alarm bells go off.
This one is a humdinger, and it is a must have in my book. The perfect companion to the 76 Box from last year. It's drippy early summer '76 improv and ooze. Get any and all of those re-releases from RealGone; they're sharing lost treasure back out with the world to great effect. I've rounded out my DP series via that route, and was able to grab the last 2 or 3 I never had.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Not to turn this into a Hoffman chat board, but how does the sound on the new All Things compare to the 2001 remaster, please? I need to know if the difference is worth the $30.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Almanac should be up on the website any day now & we all know what that means, I'm ready for it.

Hendrixfreak- I did wonder if your Prunes reference was a joke after I posted. Neer mind-I likes them ! Those two singles
I mentioned are the tracks to hear - saying something is like "Bo Diddley on acid" is a bit of a cliche - but "Get Me To The World On Time" is that and more. "I Had Too Much To Dream" is even better - apparently a big influence on Syd's Floyd.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Good to hear I got the right Road Trip. I know nothing about that show. And I really did almost add some of these gems to my cart:
Dave Mason - already got practically everything he did solo or with Traffic on vinyl back in the day.
Freddie King - the early stuff. Perfect. I need to know more about why SO many guitar greats credit him as an influence and may have to go back and get that if it's still there.
Bob Wills - I just got some of the sale vinyl from RGM last month after hearing good things from y'all. Texas swing always livens up the party no matter who is there.
Blood, Sweat & Tears - should have bought it for the wife.
Cowboy - where do I know this from? Somebody I know had this and liked it. The cover looks very familiar. More research is necessary.
So much sold out already but oh well. Didn't even know I needed it until I saw this eclectic mix.
Also rans: Chester & Lester (Chet Atkins & Les Paul), Fairport Convention (just read the sad story of Sandy Denny when I looked up who is the gorgeous female voice on Led Zep iv) and Richard Thompson, Larry Coryell with his family on the cover (all naked), Roy Buchanon, Cannonball Adderley, John Hartford, and so many more.
And for Proudfoot: I know they come in second to Eva dahling, but how about Barbara Eden or the Girls of Petticoat Junction?
Something for everyone. Cheers

Next it's on to the Garcia family site. I need to beef up my JGB selections. Any recommendations appreciated.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

We were at Red Rocks for Dead & Co. last night. It was fantastic! Great crowd, great vibes all around. Talked to so many people who had come in from all over the country. One thing of note, Kreutzmann was absent and Jay Lane sat in for him. I can't say I really noticed a whole lot of difference, except that of course I would have loved for Bill to have been there. They stated he had an undisclosed illness that was non-Covid related and that he was expected to recover.

Seeing this band at this venue reminded me of how special they are and what a blessing it is that this continues.

\m/

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

We should get a deadhead gang like in the movie 'the outsider's' and have a rumble against thieves and catalytic converter punks. We'll do it for Johnny, man. WE'LL DO IT FOR JOHNNY!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The Eyes intro. is an all-timer. Pretty sure I recall the return of St. Stephen fades in, which I think is a bit of a shame. On a tangentially related note, I would have preferred the weirder intro to St. Stephen be spliced in from the AUD on 6-15, too from the June 76 Box but they didn't do that. Not sure where they even lifted it from, even though it works. I know, opinions are like...

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

So, you would be Ponyboy?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Steve Miller 8-3-77. Multi-track, sounds great. Spinning it now. Got the CD but the liner notes say that they found video also when they found the audio tapes.

Lynyrd Skynyrd 8-21-76 Knebworth, CD/DVD combo, haven’t spun them yet.

Pink Floyd -Delicate Sound of Thunder, restored and remastered to BluRay. I got the VHS in ‘89 and played it extensively. Looking forward to checking out this new BluRay.

I’ll palate cleanse a bit with these, while I also continue to absorb the spectacular STL Box and wait for DaP40 to arrive.

Love that Steve Miller and the Skynyrd, and the Tedeschi Trucks Layla ain't too shabby. Also, how 'bout that Ron Wood tribute to Jimmy Reed? It's got a Big Boss Man.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

DeadHdBrewer, I've only ever owned the original vinyl, now long gone, and the new remaster. Can't say how this new one compares to previous mixes. Indeed, you might see that question answered on SHF. But the new one sounded clearer than what I considered a somewhat cluttered sonic landscape -- but the latter is just a memory of my vinyl copy from 50 years ago. Gettin' on in years here. And glad to be around.

Hey 1stShow, if you don't know Freddie King, you're in for a treat. I have maybe 7-8 CDs by him, from the early years to the Shelter years and some live stuff. Caught Freddie a few times and he was a large man with a large Gibson and he played his ass off at the Bottom Line in NYC. The other time was when Clapton played Roosevelt Stadium and was so drunk he laid down and tried to play but couldn't. To save the day, Ringo came out on drums and Freddie played the entire freakin' show to 20,000. Freddie was not just an ace gut bucket guitarist, he was the whole package: a black Texan with a deep blues voice, a large Gibson hollow body and he knew how to use both to have Big Fun. Get all the Freddie King you can and you will not be sorry. Check him out on U Toob, there's vid.

And to all you "Prune heads," sure hope your system is operating in a regular manner, if you get my drift.

Yeeeeehhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

What's this Ronnie Wood tribute to Jimmy Reed? Sounds like a must-have. Info, please.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is awesome! Two...yes TWO shows with Brent! I dig the diversity each year. I dig the Dead. I dig people getting along. I dig good deeds. I dig random acts of kindness. I dig shows with Brent. As always...GO BRENT!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Yes.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

October 21, 1971
Auditorium Theater, Chicago, Illinois

Set 1: Truckin'-Loser-Beat It On Down The Line-Tennessee Jed-Playing In The Band-Big Railroad Blues-Jack Straw-Cumberland Blues-Comes A Time-Mexicali Blues-“The Frozen Logger”-Cold Rain And Snow-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Casey Jones-Me And My Uncle-Dark Star>Sitting On Top Of The World>Dark Star>Me And Bobby McGee-Brown-Eyed Women-Ramble On Rose-Sugar Magnolia-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: St. Stephen-Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to kcollins1974, musicnow, estimating prof, The Good Ole Grateful Dead, proudfoot, outpost, hbob1995, gfink, brianhahne, and Oroborous, just because…….

The constant chatter and tuning up lends this show a fragmentary feeling. However, that being said, the opening Truckin’ sizzles, the new material sounds good, and there’s a Dark Star AND a Saint Stephen. What’s not to like about that? And who else but a logger stirs his coffee with his thumb?

The meat of the show was released as part of Dave’s Picks 3 in 2012, if you want to hear the potatoes as well, check out the very nice complete Miller remaster. Hard to believe it’s been nine years since the release. Frankly, when it first came out I didn’t give it much attention, but over the years both of the Chicago shows have, in my humble estimation, appreciated nicely………

Underrated, underappreciated, and recommended….

Rock on!!!

Doc
It is my meditation all the day, and more than my meat and drink, to know how I shall make the Saints of God comprehend the visions that roll like an overflowing surge before my mind…..

Conekid - I was at the that Lynyrd Skynyrd show at Knebworth in 1976. When They came on I was peaking on the heaviest trip of my entire life. We were right at the back when they came on, and one of my friends suggested we move through the crowd to get nearer the front. It was like a trip into the sulphur pits of hell - all I could see were thousands of faces looking up at me, as we waded slowly along. I think I trod on someones sandwiches which had tomatos in them-whatever the cause, all the faces around me seemed to be covered in blood at one point. The journey had lasted several days when we finally gave up, and waded back to safety. We could have been walking round in circles for all I knew.
About two months later, I heard "Freebird" at a party- I didnt know it at the time-and had a full blown flashback. Weird times. It seems really strange watching it now on blu ray, in the comfort and ( comparative) sanity of my current state. It was a great show-and that version of "Freebird" is stunning.

I think its on youtube-but there's a great dvd of Freddie King out there called "The!!!Beat 1966" It features the man himself playing 14 songs/instrumentals in front of a TV audience. The dvd I have then has three tracks from his more rock oriented period in Sweden 1973-also great.

That was a big crowd, I can see how a tripping person could get lost in there.

I watched the DVD last night and realized that I’ve seen a grainy version of the video before, so it’s nice to have a better copy. Also, I realized that a lot of the songs were on the double-length cassette “Gold and Platinum” that I got in 1985/86.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Thanks Doc, always a pleasure to read your reviews.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

It's Called "Mr. Luck", Ronnie Wood and the Ronnie Wood Band (featuring Mick Taylor) Live at the Albert Hall,
and it's available in both CD and vinyl at, er, um, amazon.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

43 years ago today I was at Winterland to see the Grateful Dead. Great Stella Blue, Lee Oskar sat in the 2nd set on harmonica. Great opening jam to start the first set into Promised Land. Dick Latvala had high praise for this show. I believe Cousins and some other folks on this forum were at this show.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Great show indeed, Billy. Didn't expect the white-robed singers/tambourine shakers. A friend of my wife who didn't do any mind-altering substances freaked out in the middle of Stella Blue, whispered in my ears that a coupla' Hell's Angels were standing right behind us...turned around, sure enough they were there and looked so big they were like a couple of mountains, and somehow that made me laugh; he was terrified, told him to settle down and let us enjoy the show; that was his 1st and last show. Angels were a fixture at Winterland and at Jerry shows, always peaceful.

Freddie King: I believe he was the most technically proficient electric Blues player of his time; great technique playing with his thumb and index. Check out the original versions of Hideaway and The Stumble on King Records, some intricate fingering in there. Jerry did a very credible Hideaway for the Harding Theatre 11/7/71 show.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I asked you that question, Hendrix, and then I later thought, "Duh. I have a subscription to Qobuz, a hi-rez streaming service." I remembered this fact at some point late last night, went there, and sure enough, there was the Super Deluxe version of All Things, right next to a copy of the 2014 remaster. So I pulled out my CD of the 2001 remaster and the headphones went on for some intense comparisons.

Wow. This is a reMIX, not just a remaster, so the levels can actually change from the original we all know and love, and they have. George's voice is now prominent, rather than fighting its way through Spector's soundwall (we'll reserve the term "Wall of Sound" for other use), there is now some audible bass guitar, and the other guitars are not so biting and up front. It DOES change the sound of the album, but to me, it's a marked improvement. It sounds like some Plangent Processing happened too, as my ears don't detect as much wow and flutter as on the older versions.

Instead of the guitars and Spectorisms being 7's (on a scale of 1-10) in the mix, with George's voice being a 4, and the bass being a 3, they all come in around the 5 mark, with more air ("heavy air"?) around them.

If you love this album, you'll surely want to hear this remix. You might decide that you really love the sound it used to have from your memory, but the whole thing now sounds more natural, like a Harrison album that Spector enhanced, rather than a Spector album that had George and the bassist sitting off to the side, hoping to get picked up by the microphones. There is a two-CD version for about $16, if you don't need all the alternate material.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled GD chat, already in progress.

As for the bookmark made from English Oak.. I sometimes take red or white oaks from my property and use them to propagate and grow shitakes. If anyone needs a bookmark made of Quercus rubra or Quercus alba that felled from my estate.. it's yours for a buck, just send me a PM. It will be in the shape of a dollar sign.

But seriously.. the garden gnomes, that's where it's at. He had some really cool ones and it got me to research the history of the estate he lived on since 1970. I want that house.. can someone help me set up a go fund me? I'm sure most Harrison fans already knew this, but it was new to me.

Per Wikipedia:

"Friar Park is a Victorian neo-Gothic mansion in Henley-on-Thames, England, built in 1889. It was originally owned by eccentric lawyer Sir Frank Crisp and purchased in January 1970 by musician, and then current member of The Beatles, George Harrison.[1] The site covers about 62 acres (25 hectares).[2][3] Features include caves, grottoes, underground passages, a multitude of garden gnomes, and an Alpine rock garden with a scale model of the Matterhorn.[4]"

I'm not including the references, that would just piss off Crapatcha.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

BigBrownie, thx! Just ordered that album. I'm a nut for Jimmy Reed.

DdHdBrewer, glad to hear I purchased the correct remix!! That's a helluva record and much better than either Paul or John's first LPs after the Beatles.

JimInMD, you gotta read Al Kooper's book sometime, Backstage Passes and Backstabbing Bastards. George hires him to play on an album and has a henchman meet him at the gate to Friar Park, then leads him through the underground passages and grottoes in near darkness, when George leaps out of a doorway and screams and Kooper (in my imagination) soils himself. George gets rightly bashed for being a bit preachy and gloomy, but apparently he had a wicked sense of humor. Glad you, um, "embrace the gnomes."

P.S. I think it's the 12-31-78 closing of Winterland when Lee Oscar -- who I suspect had been dosed -- wouldn't or couldn't stop blowing his harp and the band was ready to move on. Check the video! Ken Kesey virtually pirouettes across the stage and, drawing on his wrestling heritage no doubt, body hugs Lee Oscar and spins away with him in his embrace. Most effective stage management for harp-player-on-acid that I've seen on film.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

SOLD OUT

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Collectors of Deadbase will notice that the immortal Dick LATVALA wrote an incredible review of 10/21/78, since DB volume 2 (still seeking DB volume 1) for years this tape always circulated as a very good AUD until the summer of 1995 when very HQ SBD's of the entire run From Egypt with Love shows finally hit tape trading lists while the meat of the show was officially released as RT Volume 1 #4 this entire show deserves the full Norman in fact I feel this whole run would make a most excellent choice for a box set 10/22 with Cippolina is just as good. Another show from 1978 that deserves "better" treatment is 11/20 Cleveland Music Hall, David Gans (GDH) featured the 2nd set (GDH 406) albeit in less than stellar quality in fact I've never heard a HQ recording of this show. While I'm on a 1978 kick does anyone have a 1st set SBD TAPE oF 5/5/78? Yes I still listen to tapes.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

You are spot on as always.

Had a two hour commute tonight and Dave played 10/21/71 on TIGDH.

Unbelievable Dark Star. Even more so considering it was Keith’s first. I mean it’s no peak 1990s Victim or the Crime or anything like that, but it’s listenable.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html