• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Received on Monday, finally ripped last night, heading into the stereo rooom to give it the full treatment….now!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I am a fan of the Harding Theatre show. One of the 71's that caught my attention years ago.

Thanks Doc.

Summer 90 was awk af for me
This release makes me think of those times

Yin and Yang, ninos.

Anyone notice the cassette in the cover art? 4/15/78

It truly blows mule that Brent would be truly and literally dead shortly after these shows

Harding Theaterre ja gerne

RELEASE 6 10 73 ALREADY WITH 6 9 73 AS A COMPANION SHOW.

a person wants pizza but we keep getting crackers with velveeta

I will have a nice glass of whine with my crackers please

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I saw a couple of pedestrians come within 3 feet of being struck by a left turning car this morning

Drive alertly, my fellow Deadheads of the Corn

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Arrived home to find 10327 had arrived in Scotland via Royal Mail with no charges. Promised the Mrs we’d watch a movie tonight so the shows will have to wait until tomorrow. Love the artwork with all the wee details such as the tape, the Batman skull tshirt, the children of the corn allusions and many more to discover.

One of the joyous shows from Fall 71. I like the cool way they slip "Hideaway" into the set-not showing off or "look at me , I'm playing the blues" but sweet and easy. The technical problems at the beginning of the show give the band the chance to talk to the audience. They do this in such a way that suggests that at this time they were still playing music from within a community, rather than being stood on stage playing at one.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

This is a fine 1990 release, as someone said a great showcase for Brent and the band at their peak. And for those that don't have the Spring 1990 boxes, it is a wonderful opportunity for fans to appreciate this band playing with both cylinders. Sound is excellent. Jerry sounds like he's having fun. Thanks to Dave and all for releasing this gem.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by nitecat

Holy cow, this show is a monster. When Phil is on.. the band is on and right out of the gate, Phil plays like a man possessed.

And that second set is a powerhouse, which still leaves 7/19 for tomorrow. Peak late era Grateful Dead. Have a great weekend all.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

How he can remember Desolation Row and routinely forget Truckin' is one of life's great mysteries.

For those looking for great Brent shows, try 4/8/89, Cincy. I took my college roommate to this show. It was his first. He was a big Pink Floyd fan. Opened LTGTR. Wang Dang. Blow Away (best one ever, sorry Philly). Also a great Fantasy/Jude that night. Anyway, he turns to me during LTGTR and says "Who the f#ck is that guy on kee-boards?" He got it right away. Still going to shows to this day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

Overall a fine show.
HELP starts out perhaps a tad tentative? Perhaps pre-occupied with sound etc.
Sound is pretty good for opener, perhaps the bass and/or bass drum is a bit tubby?
SLIP transition is not flawless, but it is the openers, and if I was seeing this live, I’m sure I’d had no complaints.
So far I’m actually liking the crowd mix. Adds more realism for my taste, not so unnaturally dry.
Like the guy yelling lol.
MINGLEWOOD Kick still a bit tubby. Strait forward well played but not powerful.
Bobs vocals sound good, JG’s still work in progress, like in PEGGY O, he sounds good performance wise, but sound wise a bit dry and too out front? He does awright with just one little miscue.
Maybe their a bit tired near the end of the tour? It’s almost like they have a cool west coast laid back vibe going?
Perhaps it’s just the slow first set build up!
EASY saw 3, first one in 79, then 3/22/90 & 6/8/90, with this one being last of the 9 returns, and last one ever.
Not a perfect version, but nice, and nice to hear him go with some positive energy that sometimes lacked in latter days. After all these years, still mind blowing that he’d be gone so soon after!
MASTERPIECE this is a nice, smooth version, and Bobs vocals already seem really dialed in, while JG’s aren’t quite there yet. Another relaxed but well played song. Everything: Music/Sound keeps progressing subtly with each song.
BEW JG muffs the first line, but moves on nicely and by now Healy has him dialed in also, with the overall vocal blend sounding nice!
CASSIDY/DEAL as was often the case, by the time the set hit these 2 to close things out, the band and sound would be finally building up nicely to the big crescendo. JG careful, concise, not manic or forced.
Overall a pleasant, well played set if perhaps lacking a little in fire?
THE SECOND SET analytics slipped away on me as things were sounding mighty fine. Kinda status quo for the times with the slow build up of the first set and coming out in the second all guns blazing and the sound pretty damn good all things considered. Cruising nicely at a super clean 90 to 95 dB peaks, sounding great!
I’ll leave the hyperbole to others, especially in regard to the China/Rider. Great energy. The set progresses nicely, with the drums/space causing me to giggle! I like the the psychedelic vocal effects on Bob during TOO, and though I can understand how some folks don’t like it, I didn’t think it was too overdone, though I have heard it done so. I’ll just say on to a great finish and leave it at that.
The sound eventually was so good I’d forgot it’s lineage. Like if I just listened, I didn’t consider the source, versus if I thought about the source, then I noticed it a little, if that makes sense?
Best of the tour? Don’t know the tour well enough to say, definitely a consideration? Best of the year, I respectfully disagree.
I’m sure after stadiums it was way cool to be at these. Really look forward to tomorrow!
Overall, not flawless, but pretty damn solid! 3.8 outta 5 Red Sweethearts

EDIT: oh, one thing to note, the nasty distortion in space. Guessing it’s MIDI related. Seems more the recording than CD production. It didn’t last too long but if your blasting this at loud volume you may want to spare your tweeters and turn it down until it passes.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

November 7, 1971
Harding Theater, San Francisco, California

Set 1: Truckin'-Brown-Eyed Women-Beat It On Down The Line-Hideaway-Sugaree-Jack Straw-Tennessee Jed-Cumberland Blues-El Paso-Big Railroad Blues-Comes A Time-Mexicali Blues-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Ramble On Rose-Me And Bobby McGee-Loser-Sugar Magnolia-Dark Star>drums>The Other One>Me And My Uncle>The Other One>Deal-Brokedown Palace-Playing In The Band-Casey Jones-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encores: Johnny B. Goode-Uncle John's Band

Deadicated to bolo24, because I will not follow where the path may lead, but I will go where there is no path, and I will leave a trail……

Great and classic show and a long-time personal favorite. It has pretty much everything you could ask of the Dead in this era. Rockers, Cowboy songs, hot jams, the unusual coupling of Dark Star and The Other One, an unbelievably smoking NFA transition jam (maybe the best ever?), plus even the often-expected equipment difficulties, AND jokes from the audience! The circulating broadcast copies are excellent quality and highly recommended. The band sounds loose, and the crowd sounds juiced. OK yes there’s no Pigpen, but still highly highly recommended, a classic of the first rank!!

Rock on!!

Doc
It is requisite for the relaxation of the mind that we make use, from time to time, of playful deeds and jokes

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

this release has two from two different shows, thank you Dave and Rhino and of course, the Good Old Grateful Dead. These two are smoking, especially the 19th.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Yes, I am also a Drums/Space fan.

A few days ago someone asked why D/S wasn’t cut to make room for the Useless Blues encore.
The answer?
Because Drums/Space is better.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

My first show was 4/6/89.
I walked into that stadium with Pink Floyd as my favorite band, and walked out of that stadium with Grateful Dead as my favorite band.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

A reeeeeal luck of the draw for me

Sometimes I dig 'em
Sometimes I think of it as "well, we gotta fill 2.5 hours SOMEhow..."

Blurt bleeeet...that can be an alien dandelion baking cookies wearing day-glo orange socks

Or a

"Why did I pay money for this" moment

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

Happy Sunday Heads!

I'm really enjoying Dave's 40 so far. Listened to the whole thing once. I've always enjoyed 1990 Dead and these shows are new to me. I have to agree with Dave, the second night is the one for me. Band sounds really in sync with one another and the show is full of energy and a lot of little musical moments. Enjoyed the first show also. I anticipate listening to these a good bit in the coming months. Foolish heart is a highlight for me. I've always enjoyed that song. One of those later era tunes that could have been jammed out more. Epic China Doll here also.

Count me among those who like Drums/Space. Especially the later years. I remember being particularly blown away by drums/space when I saw the band in the 90s and playing a cassette of infrared roses as background for some good smoke sessions. Seems like most of Infrared Roses was from 1989-91, maybe even mostly 1990?? Great versions on these shows. I like the audience recording in this also. I could feel some summertime outdoor vibes as I was listening to these.

Thanks Doc for the 71 anniversaries. I've never heard the Harding shows or the Cleveland show from Fall 71. Seems like I need to give those a listen.

So much good music. Play it loud if you can

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by estimating prof

Gots dat peaceful easy feeling.

As was often the case with the second night, the sound is more dialed in outta the gate.
Though it does build nicely throughout to where later on you had to think/remember the lineage.
In other words, I thought these sounded good all things considered.

And speaking of hot outta the gate, Phil starts out a tad loud but quickly dials it in during a decent JACK STRAW opener. TLEO continues the refined easy feeling with some sweet harmonies.
It’s like the boys knew they’d cleaned up and did the working man’s thing at the stadium shows and now they could chill in the backyard. Same with DESOLATION, a nice, well played version, though I wouldn’t say Goat.
I dug the first vocal hallucination on the Phantom of the Opera line, but the second one may have been unnecessary?
PICASSO MOON moving along nicely then, whoa? Whhaaaa happen? Lol.
Tight ALTHEA/PL to bring it home, we’ll played but perhaps not quite the fire of the previous nights set closers?
First set overall perhaps more consistently well played with less time needed to dial things in, but after first run through I think my gut goes slightly with the first night? But that could change going forward?

Now I keep mentioning relaxed, mellow, laid back etc I mean these as good descriptors, not negatives, it’s how I felt at the June Cali shows. A band relaxed and confident and enjoying the situation. They may not always have the roller coaster energy, but good in a different way.
VICTIM starts kinda the same, more relaxed and not as violent or dissonant, which to me is what makes the song. I know many do not like this song, but it’s one of my favorite Bob songs lol. They do wrap it up nicely though and I can only imagine what it really sounded like live! It’s a shame JG jumps ship so quick as I could of seen them weirding that one out a little longer. Phil seemed to be digging it!
But JG is raring to get to FOOLISH HEART and he does a fine job with it. But next perhaps the crown jewel of the show, CHINA DOLL. A sweet, nice combo with UJB, but unfortunately no groovy space jam into Drumz.
But that’s awright as the D/S is quite nice, until that nasty MIDI signal distortion. Much of which is Bob as evident by when it’s just he and JG out there. I Turned down again until it passed, Into a status quo WATCHTOWER, and then another top highlight for me, the sweet BLACK PETE everything JEP by now!
Only wish sometimes he didn’t Segway quite so abruptly with some of these, to instead linger on those sweet transitional moments! But on to a status quo NFA to end another fine, we’ll played show! I’d say another 3.8 outta 5 Red Sweethearts. Emotionally I may have identified to the first night a smidge, but I’m kinda tired today so who knows, next time could be different!
I guess the clincher is that luckily they gave us BOTH shows so we don’t have to think too much about all that lol.
Thanks for giving us both and for two great shows from a so far lightly scratched tour!
Look forward to more plays of both of these.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

During NFA...a glorious moment...

Brief and brightly!!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

‘You know our Love will not fade away’, I chanted this, and believed it then, and I’m living it now.
It really brought me back and into the present hearing the crowd at the end of NFA…

Make good use of the week and re-arrange the entire house.

Everything.. every piece of furniture, closets, down to the smallest kitchen utensil. Move it all to a new location/different drawer/different room, etc.

Before you start, ask yourself... what would Captain Lysergic do?

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I do want to keep "ping" as well as "pong", so I will need to find an alternate activity...

I did get a grin or two out of your idea

BITD if we were partying at someone’s house and they passed out wed do what we called decorate their house.
Rehang pictures or clocks upside down. Change the time on the clocks. Reverse things like the way the fridge door opens. Nothing they’d notice immediately, just tweek things a little. The classic move, if possible was to just flip something that used to be right so it hung left etc. subtle, but affective!
Things like swap which side of a dresser drawer had the socks and which the undies etc
great fun and when the victim woke up they wouldn’t notice, sometimes until much later.
We hit Prezman up on his wedding night. They were finding things weeks later and having a great laugh about it!
So try that PF, I’m sure the Mrs would love the surprise lol ; )

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

What a show! What a run ! What a great box set! This box set is still in my top 3 of box sets, 1). Fillmore West, 2). Europe 72, and 3)Winterland 11/9/10/11/73. My brother went to this show, I know other folks on this forum went to these shows, as good as it gets..

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Enjoyed the first '90 show, really enjoyed the second one. Jer giving it his all on both nights. Really good '90s GD.

Now, um, looking forward to the announcement of #42 w/ bonus disc.

Dave, could you make that a 4-disc '69 show(s), now that your first shows have been Dave's Picks? Asking nicely, for a friend.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got my copy #23421 yesterday
Had to pay EUR 4,00 for taxes and EUR 6,00 for additonal fees.
Disc Two doesn't work on my regular player, the other runs it.
And with 07/19/90 one more show for my collection, have had
the previous show since decades. Both shows smokes!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Got my copy #8447 today
Had to pay EUR 5,60 for taxes and EUR 4,00 for additional fees.
Haven't had a chance to play it yet.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Dave Kloc, who created the great art covers for DaP 33-36, has a few new posters on his site, including a darn cool Billy Strings poster. Great gift ideas. I’ve purchased a few from Dave in the past, and he is a serious hockey fan and all round good guy! The site is easy to find. Really a great artist that I wish Rhino kept on board for further work on the Dave’s series (no disrespect to any of the talented artists who have contributed so far), because it is pretty bad-ass stuff.

Now, where is my DaP 40!?

3 @ cal expo
2 @ eugene

Their sound at that time
Jerryz voice uh...at times...
Phil thunk thunk aint like it used to be: "BOOM BAH BOOOOMMMM!!!!!"

i still dig it

Fine release, Dave and pals. Thank you.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Still working my way through the St. Louis box so DaP40 will have to sit on the shelf for likely another week or so. Too much good music is not a bad thing, right?

The rainy season has begun in the PNW and as my wife likes to remind me, "you don't freeze to death in the rain". Meanwhile in Regina, they are expecting snow tonight. Be well everyone.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today……

November 11, 1971
Atlanta Municipal Auditorium, Atlanta, Georgia

Set 1: Bertha-Me And My Uncle-Sugaree-Playing In The Band-Tennessee Jed-Jack Straw-Casey Jones-Me And Bobby McGee-Big Railroad Blues-Mexicali Blues-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Truckin'-Sugar Magnolia-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away-Johnny B. Goode

This is deadicated to John McCook…………

With the right vibes and the right people, it's easy to create something magical…..

Ah, what might have been! Sometimes, radical politics and rock and roll don’t mix well. And sometimes, the vibe effects the music……

Based on first hand accounts, as well as the audible stage banter on the circulating soundboard tape, this may be one of the most “unpleasant” shows of 1971. This is a difficult show to evaluate. Unlike some shows like Chateau d’Heronville and Terminal Island, which at least have “venue novelty value”, here the vibe is cold, confrontational, even hostile. Did the negative vibes effect the music? Hard to judge nearly fifty years after the fact, but I think that somehow it did.

The first set is about as long as most from this period. The “continuity” or “flow” is severely disrupted after Bertha. As usual, there are “equipment problems”. The second set is markedly shorter than most second sets from the Fall tours (six songs), there is no big jam number, and there is no encore. All that being said, overall the playing is pretty decent, and the Truckin’ and the NFA are strong. Still, I think this show generally falls well below the level of the other November 1971 shows. In fact, I’ve always thought of it as a somewhat oddball show, but maybe it’s just me……………

Rock on!!

Doc
Beautiful things can happen when you act intuitively and instinctively in a moment of anxiety and do something radical…..

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I don't know much about Sabbath, but if I have my story straight, I'm pretty sure Rick Wakeman was so bored with Topographic Oceans he was wandering about during downtime and found the Sabbath party much more to his liking (Sabbath was in the session room next door to Yes). Put a bunch of drunk musicians in a studio together and some unplanned things happen I suppose. I have a feeling that's how Pete Townsend ended up singing some backup vocals on Sway.

11/11/73 - I think I'll take a break from the new box set and put this old Classic on. Keith takes over on the Loose Lucy here. Dig it.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

First four are great
Sabotage is good
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has a few good tracks

Then...meh.

But those first four albums are keeeeeeeeeeepers

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

On election day in 2016, I got up a little early so I could stop by the local grade school and cast my vote. At that time, I was still using my ipod to play music in the car, so I got in, turned the key, and hit shuffle. Out came the first chords of “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath."

Normally, this was not the kind of music I’d want to hear first thing in the morning. But in this case, it perfectly reflected the dread I was feeling, and I cranked it up as loud as it would go. I just had this feeling horrible things were about to happen, I couldn’t do shit to stop it, and the music mirrored that feeling perfectly.

Where can you run to, what more can do? No more tomorrow. Life is killing you. Dreams turn to nightmares. Heaven turns to hell. Burned out confusion, nothing more to tell.

There might not be that many people who love the GOGD and also listen to Sabbath, but I’m one of ‘em. Paranoid is, hands down, the Greatest Metal Album Ever. They were fucking unstoppable, then. All the albums up to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are good, but Paranoid is the peak. Iron Man? Fairies Wear Boots? Hand of Doom? Are you fucking kidding me? When I'm in the mood for metal, that's what I reach for. (Or maybe some High on Fire. Or early Mastodon.)

Anyway … nice long drive ahead of me today, and I’m in much better mood than I was in 2016. But I might crank some Sabbath anyway. Or DaP 40. We’ll see.

So I went to the doctor see what he could give me, he said sorry son you gone too far.

I am by no means a metal head.

Back when Paranoid came out I was an Andy Williams/Easy Listening/Oldies man. But I bought that album. I was hooked on War Pigs and Iron Man. Still the only two I play!

Some albums did break barriers.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html