• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Couple ways if looking at it in my mind, and I am biased due to my stake in this discussion: 1) the bands are loud because they love it loud and they hit a dB mark that happens to distinguish them; and 2) same as #1, except they're aware of the "bad-assery" of being the loudest band, so they kick it up a few dBs to take the crown.

I've been a major Who fan since I was 10 yrs old, hence my stake in this discussion. I heard along the way that The Who were renowned for being in the Guinness Book of World Records as the loudest band in the world. That was some bad-assery I passed on to many a Who nonbeliever.

Maybe this is commented on already - I haven't read far enough back in the posts to see where the discussion began. The history of it is, Deep Purple, who I believe falls into category #1, set the record originally, I guess in the early 70s.

The Who had been a notoriously loud band throughout the 60s and 70s, and were commonly regarded as the loudest band in the world, if only because Pete Townsend said so (and had the hearing loss to prove it). Eventually Guinness sought them out and caught them at the end of their 1976 tour at Charlton. They broke Deep Purple's record and held it for the rest of their pre-Farewell Tour career.

Sometime after that I believe things get sketchy, because bands were falling into category number two, where they kicked it up a few notches to gain the notoriety of being the loudest band in the world. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone held the record as long as The Who, and because there was a shot at making Guinness, I think there were bands who didn't really come by it honestly. So I'm going with The Who :D

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I like rock n roll
I like the energy
I like the grooves
I like the riffs

But if I want to attend a show by a band, I do not want my eardrums ASSAULTED. (I just flashed on the sequence in 2001 where Bowman is shaking in his helmet).

I never experienced PAIN and "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" during or after a GD show.

I'll just listen to my stuff on my front lawn...stay off, you punks!

JENKINS NATION!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Okay, so high volume goes with rock and electric blues, yet there's a crucial difference. As John Hammond Jr. once told me about seeing Hendrix after the latter's career had taken off, "too loud is too loud." The bands long ago indulged in it and, not knowing any better as a young person, I went along for the ride. But over the years (yes, I'm old now -- but only if you're young) it's become clear that loudness alone can really spoil the music. If you can't hear what's going on, or the volume is so high that it becomes an issue in itself, then the musical artistry is lost and pointless. I see this in local venues that are known for being "loud." The volume is simply too high to relax and enjoy the music; the volume becomes an issue in itself. And, to be sure, I like loud music. So I was always, er, grateful, that my favorite bands -- the GD, ABB and The Band -- back in the day were into quality sound systems, though that didn't necessarily account for the venues and their acoustics. Among them, as far as I know, the GD were the only ones who plowed significant resources, constantly, into the science of their amplification medium to achieve the cleanest live sound they could get. That to me says alot about this band.

And the thing is, "too loud is too loud" was true when I was young. I was just too young and too stupid to move when it was an issue.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Late as always, lost internet!!!!

I'm always amazed at peoples memory. I couldn't think of a 'loudest" show. Dead show were always "loud", but as HF points out there's a difference between loud noise and loud clarity. Dead were always top shelf for my years (80's) in the sound system department. Saw Peter Gaberial for his tour in 83? Outdoor amphitheater, we were maybe in the 20th row about middle,,,,, GREAT sound, full and clear, sounded just like the live album turned up.

Anyway, last night I remember a show, and the damn thing wasn't that long ago, but that memory.......

Lockn a few years back finished one night with My Morning Jacket. They came out ear blistering loud, that level of loud you'd swear had blood coming out your ears. The crowd thin fast. I just stood there and faced the music as it were. Now I'm pretty green at this point, but I get a focus on the sound and to me it was this HUGE cloud of distortion, LOUD, but then I finally hear at the heart of this cloud of white, this guy playing a clean guitar line, that is crystal clear and a bright light at the center of white and this cloud is huge, in my mind it's a 60' high sphere.

And while he's climaxes in the jam, the sound sucked down to a human size piano and him playing (crystal clear, no distortion field), I like to teach the world to sing......

THAT was a moment, that was loud.

Maybe it was the green!!

I learned the song was "steam -> Teach the world to sing"

A couple of years later on some college station, I heard he was touring again with the "distortion" tour, but without the distortion,,,, called it clarity or some such. I thought maybe it wasn't all green :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

I couldn't objectively verify it, but I would think the quality of the sound was quite poor for all those loud British hard rock bands I saw in the mid 70s. Maybe I just got used to it, but I saw quite a few punk bands around 1976-1977, and I can't remember ever thinking they were particularly loud. Similarly with the next wave of bands - Echo and The Bunnymen for example - I never came out deaf like I did in 1973.

The Dead weren't noticeably loud in 1981 - loud enough and a very clear sound. I saw both Black Sabbath and Deep Purple in 2017 after a 40 odd year gap, and again, I didnt think about ther sound at all - it was probabaly much better than it was in the 70's.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

'79 - Saw Twisted Sister in the Gemini, a bar on the west side of the Hudson River. Stood right in front of the right hand side speaker stack. Could not hear much for the better part of a week
Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Seen a lot of them
Loudest, can't say, Black Sabbath loud and heavy, like a barbell on your ears
Foghat, believe it or not, these guys could rock and rock, down front, nothing but sweat and sweet loudness
Thin Lizzy, started the show with Jailbreak, 4th note blew out the fuses 20 mins later back but not as loud
The Who, very loud, even in a stadium but not ear shattering
Saw a band recently who opened for Captain Beyond, can't recall their name but everyone, everyone, even me and I'm almost deaf, left the venue, just ear bleeding loud that almost made you barf, Captain Beyond was great, Bobby Caldwell is still out there playing those great songs.
Ted Nugent, he sucked but it was sooo loud, nasty loud Brownsville Station opened that day, then Mahogany Rush, then Cheap Trick, then Ted, everybody was better than nugent. Talk about the neighborhood complaining, not only was it loud, it was nugent
Saw a band named Nektar back in the 70's, loud but clear as a bell, great light show all though the sound may have been compromised by the venue, basically a tuna can.
Agree about the good old Dead, they were loud but really good loud, and clear as a bell, love that Mac sound even today. Zero distortion
Spirit in 1974 at the Peabody Auditorium in Daytona Beach, Loud Spirit of 76 and then Kaptain Kopter music, raunchy in your pants loud.
Uriah Heep in 1970 very loud competing with Deep Purple that wah-wah on Gypsy was incredibly loud, still remember the front rows being literally pushed back by the sound
Im sure there are more, just the ones I can remember right now loud seemed to be "in" back in the 70's

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

Pretty much a week ahead of schedule as per the other releases this year, on a day off no less. Had a full spin and a half through. This is my first subscription and I have to say I am very impressed, a few in and out of the box picks, filling in some holes in my collection. Different flavours, a great selections of tunes. Maybe too early to make an informed call but #40 might be my favourite. Glad they kept the DrumsSpaces intact, I love all the MIDI madness.

How would you folks rank the 2021 picks?

Looking forward to 2022.

Take care.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by unkle sam

I am so far behind on posting...

Loudest ever The Steve Morse Band in really tiny club. Stood maybe 3 feet from left PA stack. I still like to crank my BBS but have started to have some tinnitus in left ear, where my head was next to the stack. The Who, and I know the Who in 1976 set the Guinness World Record for awhile, was loud but Yes 1976 on the crab nebula tour was really loud as they were in my home town arena that holds 11,000 but only had about half attendance. They had basically the same PA as the shows they would do the next week at RFK and JFK. Even a song like Wonderous Stories was loud. Was a awesome show. Other times seeing Yes was more balanced and in my opinion the only band that had a sound anywhere close to matching what Bear, Healy, The Meyers, and Don Pearson (and others) created. The 1976 tour was with Patrick Moraz and included Sound Chaser and the Gates of Delirium. Then right there with them was Blue Oyster Cult in 1977 and 1981. For these shows we learned to sit in the back of the arena dead center to get the full force of the PA. Have a lot more to write about this and how it relates to Dead releases.

Wanted to say Thanks to Doc for including me last week in a Deadication, always feels good to be accepted.

Hopefully more tomorrow.

G

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Now there is a name from the distant past. I saw them at Bickershaw Festival in 1972. They played on the Saturday before Captain Beefheart. They were just average as I recall. Do they really still exist? It seems that they may have improved with time, lots of time.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Or is it Great Loud Funkload? Grand Farner Loadloud? I give up.

I'm not sure why, considering the occasional barrage of cheese from even the finest of the 1970s rock dinosaurs, that GFR get shit on so much. Perhaps most are only familiar with "We're An American Band," and the like, but the band were capable of some really good R&B covers and originals, such as "Bad Time," and "Some Kind of Wonderful."

At any rate, modern live sound has advanced SO much in even the past 10 years. Having seen both Eagles and Dead & Co. on their 2021 Fall tours, both had impeccable live sound that carried magnificently from the first row to the last (and D&C was outside at Red Rocks, mind you) with great clarity and punch - without being overly loud.

The technology has just gotten so much better - you can get a quality bang your head rock and roll experience up front, closer to the banks of PA speakers as well as backline if you want it - without blowing your eardrums. Roger Waters hands down had the best live sound I have ever heard both on The Wall tour as well as the Dark Side that preceded it - flawless, impeccable live sound that I could not imagine being any better without coming from inside my head.

I have residual tinnitus that comes in and out all the time from a lifetime of musical enjoyment. The weird covid shit floating around everywhere seems to have exacerbated it for me as well as many others I know. I don't have it as bad as many and I refuse to let it affect my quality of life. I try to ignore it when it comes on until I forget it's even happening, and then for all practical intents and purposes, it isn't. Zen Jedi mind over matter.

It was also at Red Rocks in the early 1990s when I totally blew out the hearing on my right side. I was more of a metal dumb ass then, went to see Scorpions, Great White and Mr. Big. Nothing wrong with that kind of party, but we got there late and made the ill-fated decision to get up into the first couple of rows.

First couple of rows all the way to the right. So we spent the show facing due left and were literally bludgeoned by heavy metal PA for hours on end. Now it was nothing new to leave a venue with my ears ringing, but it was entirely new to wake up the next day deaf in my right ear. Not totally deaf, but everything sounded like when you put a seashell up to your ear. People's voices sounded out from under a wet blanket. Day two after the show, the hearing started to come back, and to this day my right ear has fully recovered and is just as good (bad?) as my left one.

My buddy had the same experience. While sustained hearing damage may have been justifiable to see Jimi Hendrix or the Who back in the day, seeing this ho-hum metal triple bill was surely not. Thank God we persevered.

Cheers!

\m/

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

Speaking of the Who, my favorite production so far is the PPV of 1989 with Patti Labelle singing Acid Queen. I paid for the PPV and still have the VHS tapes but I also bought it on DVD when it came out. Really thought Simon Phillips on drum brought back the missing spark. Sounded incredible live thru the smaller BBS I had at the time.

Speaking of 1989 wish Dave would remaster the Summer Solstice show from 1989 PPV, including the whole video footage of crowd, an internal shakedown with artists and the whole intermission break. Ha, One can ask. I also ordered that PPV and it was a great night at home doing some dosed cranking...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

First Show - Beach Boys 11/23/66 Baltimore Civic Center with Chad and Jeremy opening. We all wore ties and sports coats and the ushers wouldn't let us stand

First Dead - Capital Center 7/29/74 w/ Phil and Ned at intermission

My wife's first Dead- RFK 1973 and second Watkins Glen - I think she got off to a good start!

Loudest show - The Guess Who at Loyola College in Baltimore around 1970 while I was in high school. Ear blisteringly loud and uncomfortable for a smallish gym.

Last show with major acts The Peach Fest in 2019

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Loudest was probably bar bands because the venue is small and when you’re drinking you’re dumb enough to stand in front of a speaker.

Worst sound quality from a ‘professional’ band was probably Van Halen 2007 Philips Arena. Volume was way too loud (sound guy had to beat Spinal Tap and go to 12) and all the instruments blurred together. And I was on the floor to the right of the soundboard. Then to pour salt on the wounds, the sound system failed for Eddie’s solo and we could only hear the speakers on the stage. At one point Eddie stopped playing and threw up his hands in frustration.
Can’t blame Philips Arena for Van Halen’s poor sound quality, I saw Roger Waters there 3 times and D&C 2 times and the sound quality was excellent for all of them.

GD 5-12-74 Reno
I wasn’t there but was told that the Wall of Sound could be heard quite a ways away and people complained.

2017 Rolling Stones played GA Tech’s football stadium. My house was 6 miles away and I could hear music, not clear enough to determine what was being played, but you could tell it was music and not industrial rumble.

Simonrob with phrase of the day: chemically compromised.
Was it Simon? Can’t scroll down and check while typing. An old version of this site did allow you to do that.

Gary Farseer,
I saw The Who July 89 (a week after I saw GD at Alpine) row 32 floor of the Pontiac Silverdome. That was awesome!! It was the greatest hits show which I actually wanted to see more than a complete Tommy. There are several of the PPV shows from that tour on utoob.

Doing my first spin of Garcia 17 as I type this. I prefer complete shows rather than compilations and chop jobs, but I’ll take all the ‘76 JGB I can get.

I believe that early bird pricing for DaP 2022 subscription ends today.
DaP 42 + bonus should be announced before the full price subscription window closes.

Deep thoughts with Jack Handy:
Why would you pay full subscription price when you could have gotten early bird pricing?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Is turning out to be a delightful sample of Jer's band with K & D, Kahn and Tutt (RIP) circa '76.

While the rockers really rock, and the Motown tunes have the pulsing rhythm they need, I just listened to an initially somnabulent Friend of the Devil that turns out soulfully slow, not plodding as it did with the GD. Now, Russian Lullabye, a real low-dynamic treat that features Jer / Kahn interplay.

The Motown tunes don't have the huge sound characteristic of the early '90s Jer band juggernaut, but rather a spare and sweet sound. Donna Jean's fine vocals really complement Jer's, especially in such a relatively low-volume setting. Keith, JK and Tutt are in fine form as well.

A most welcome addition to the Jer solo shelf. FWIW, recommended by HF.

Now I'll have to look for where the chronological gaps in my Jer collection exist, just to place future releases in my mind. His camp has only released one clunker -- the New Year's disaster with Nicky Hopkins, GarciaLive 5, 12-31-75 -- so they're batting average is considerably better than the GD's, though that's to be expected with the latter's far greater volume of releases.

Folks, don't forget the OSF releases. I'm unflinchingly buying every Jer solo release and OSF release and ~75% of all GD vault releases. And a jillion other archival releases. No wonder I'm a little short at the end of the month..... short, but happy. Just imagine Yosemite Sam laying down his pistols for a relaxing glass of firewater in the recliner with a pipeful of dine-o-mite.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

It’s so funny that you should mention GFR. They were my favorite band for years after The Beatles(my previous favorite) broke up. I had to put up with so much abuse over my loving this band. Now, I get why they were constantly being criticized, but me and certain other kids my age LOVED them. And only because of the boatload of unbelievably unworthy acts in the R&R Hall of Fame, I think GFR definitely belong there. Yes, I said it.
Having said all that, I did see Grand Funk twice, but not until the ‘90’s. The original trio plus keyboard player. Loved it, wasn’t excessively loud, but it was definitely loud.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

The Wolfsters are putting out an album of cut from Colorado show in 2021.

Vinyl is available and cd's. The limited ones seem gone on Weir site, but 3rd man records had it.

Continue.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I never saw Grand Funk, or even heard them until about 5 years ago, when I bought a box set called " A Trunk of Funk Volume 1" which has their first 6 albums complete with extras. Superb, and very different from what I was expecting, given their reputation. In the 70s, the music press lumped them in with Black Sabbath, and ridiculed both, so I assumed they played the same sort of music. But they don't at all. Grand Funk are much more R&B based without the " I feel pain" histrionics. The only album in this box I am not so keen on is the Live Album from 1970. I think the one from 1971, not in the box is a much better deal all round.

Incidentally, in England I think they fell foul of the press due to the fact that half of them were from the Woodstock Generation - typified by Crosby Stills etc etc, and the other half were speaking from within the emerging world of David Bowie. But the music my friends and I listened to mostly was "heavy" or "prog" rock. Both hated by the music press - prog being considered music for eggheads and heavy for working class oiks. What did they know - they were all in their mid 20s probably-I was mid teens and ready to rock.

Jonah fn Hill?

Never trust a Prankster.

(30 seconds later...)

oh my fkn 4skin...you are serious.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the horror
the horror

>:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Y'all know about the new Peter Jackson doc. on the Beatles. I may have been reading 2 quickly on past posts but it is 7 hours. Will be 3 part on Disney Plus, next weekend.

Now back to our regularly scheduled BS. go to dot com nytimes/2021/11/11 for article. Title of doc. is Get Back.

That is all, for now.

Edit: I thought Brownie was kidding. Folks have talked about "who do i like," well until I got my holiday time hair cut this morning, I look like Jerry Garcia. People constantly tell me I look like Jerry or Mandy Patinkin... I look like Jerry circa 1987 or so. Hair still dark, beard salt and pepper, mostly salt now. So if Martin needs a Jerry stand in, send me a message. jk

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks to all who recommended the new JGB release. Just ordered 4 selections from the G. Family Prov. site to fill in the holes in my Jerry solo collection. Should be here for Turkey Day listening. Probably wouldn't have even found them without this site. CD cabinet is on order now. Should be enough room to get all the Dave's out from under the bottom cabinet finally.
I had We're An American Band from G F Railroad. Good album I thought then, but traded it in for more jazz. Not one I have bought back. I think it came with a sticker.
Spirit! Thanks whoever posted that band name. Was on my buy list long ago and forgotten. The12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus was it? I Gotta Line On You Babe was one of their hits?
Also looking for more of that Progressive Rock category that the UK is famous for. As a category it just means it's not based in blues riffs or 8 to the bar limitations right? So far thinking of Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, Traffic, etc. but any suggestions from our UK and Continental friends (Daverock, Simonrob, Rockthing, Gerd a lil' help?) will be appreciated. Oh yeah, not nesc. prog but I need me some Kinks too. The Davies Bros. rock!
Cheers all!
Edit: Forgot to ask about Hawkwind. Had 2 of their earlier albums but traded them in too in my jazz era. Best two or three to recommend guys? Ones that really define their sound or are your favorite. Thanks again.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Firstly, if you want the lowdown on Hawkwind, then Daverock is your man.
There were so many great groups in the late 1960s and early 1970s, mostly little known outside the UK, who could be described as progressive. Unfortunately around 1971 or 1972, that particular genre got more and more self indulgent and intricate, something that I couldn't get into. For example, I think the first 2 or 3 Genesis and Yes albums are great, but after that no. They lost me. I found myself more and more attracted to American bands in general and Bay area bands and California country rock bands in particular. Having said that, I can thoroughly recommend many UK albums before 1972. Bands such as Jody Grind, High Tide, T2, Audience and Arcadium are all well worth checking out and there are plenty more. Happy hunting!

Thanks for the nod, Simon. I wasn't going to include Hawkwind as progressive -but I guess they were - they were certainly part of the underground landscape in the 1970s, so I will put forward my one of my favourite live albums of all time - their "Space Ritual" recorded at the end of 1972. Their most sophisticated and musically accomplished album is "Warrior On Edge Of Time" -featuring Simon House of High Tide fame - and no less a personage than Michael Moorcock reading his poems out. "It's dark at the end of time, And we are tired of making love." The fact that I'd never actually had a girlfriend at the time I first heard it didn't stop me nodding along in agreement.

King Crimson are essentail - their 1969 opus "In The Court Of The Crimson King" is often considered the first prog rock album. 1974' "Red" is another contender for their best.

Gong - "You" from 1974, closely followed by Steve Hillage-Gong's lead guitarist and his second solo album "L". Actually, Gong's earlier album, "Camembert Electrique" is essential too. Mad as box of frogs, that one!

Going over to Germany we have Tangerine Dream -"Phaedra", Amon Duul 2 and "Wolf City" and Can "Tago Mago"

And going over to Holland we have Focus - "Moving Waves" and " Focus 3" being the puck of the bunch.

So much to say, so little time. The last prog rock band I got into were free festival stalwarts from the mid 1980s until now - Ozric Tentacles. Everything they play is a space jam and their albums in the 1990s are great-especially "Pungent Effulgent".

I'll bet you are sorry you asked, now !

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

An honorary mention for The Strawberry Alarm Clock. They may not have played the loudest music, but they did wear the loudest clothes.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

As Simonrob says, there's plenty of it that barely gets a mention today. I went through a Prog Rock phase in my late teens, but not much of it stuck, but Caravan did, or to be more specific two or three of their albums. They were part of the Cantabury scene that produced Soft Machine, Kevin Ayers, Robert Wyatt and many others. Both "In the Land of Grey and Pink" (1971) and the wonderfully titled "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You" (1970) are particularly outstanding and their eponymous first album (1968) is also highly regarded by many, although, for me, it's not quite up to the standard of the others. Sadly, after 1971 Caravan went off in a different direction which, aside from the odd bright spot, never really worked for me.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Can I add ‘Quark, Strangeness and Charm’ to the Hawkwind list.
I’d also recommend Hatfield and the North especially ‘The Rotters Club’ and National Health. For the more adventurous I suggest Henry Cow and The Art Bears although Dagmar Krause’s vocals can be an acquired taste (I love them).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Hall Of The Mountain Grill, my personal favourite, great songs and some great sounds. Concur with both Quark and Rotter's Club, excellent.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

I have been meaning to write about sound pressure and stereos or my stereo in particular. I am now shopping for a db or sound pressure meter. My stereo currently has a total of 1350 watts in a slightly under 300 sqft room. Can you crank it all the way up? Not a chance in hell. It allows me to have the headroom to play at much much less volume. The point being, the way I have my set-up, I can feel the music as much or more than I hear it. That is the whole point to me, it is much less sound pressure on the ears, but can make bowel movements much easier. Haha, jk, sorta. I do have proper bass traps deployed to absorb the strong low end, both on the floor and on the wall behind my sweet spot. All of this talking got me thinking, maybe I should actually measure my db level.

I have an old friend that spent almost 20 years working for Clair Brothers as a traveling sound mixer, and he still mixes loud. (Although I am a Meyer Sound guy, Clair Brothers were the first professional business in sound reinforcement after Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons asked the brothers to go on tour with them in 1966. I may be wrong but to me they rip off the John and Helen Meyer Sound, or maybe they pay a licensing fee.) I am going to track him down and ask him about tinnitus and SPL. Years ago we had a 4 hour debate on line arrays, he was opposed. Then I got him to read about line arrays in an article I posted here six years ago from Prosoundweb. The article was about "Fare The Well" and the latest Meyer Sound line arrays. I think the article was removed as I did not find it last November when we were posting about Don Pearson and Dave's First Show Release (Dave's 36?). I posted part of the article which was on the Meyer Sound site last November.

Any way, all the talk about volume and my wanting to protect my ears as much as possible, caused me to do some deep thankin.

1350 watts is about 5% of the WoS Macs etc.

Dang, I do love the subwoofers and bass. That comes from the respect I have for the Africans love for bass, which caused the overall hz-khz average to move down closer to median or below. There love came in the mid to late 80's with the release of the 808 drum machine. OK enough ramblin, dang my ears are ringing. Anyone of interest can watch 808 on Amazon, a documentary about the machine. Of course Meyer Sound for FTW had multiple banks of 15 and 18" subs. Think it was icecream who said D&C sounded great indoors at Atlanta Stadium???

Last thing, if you listen to music thru headphones, think about it seriously.

G

I guess the surviving members and estates are ok with it...

but...ugh.

Do they need the income? I haven't seen Bob Weir at the end of an offramp holding a "will strum guitar for food" sign.

why would I watch a movie where I get to see Jerry disintegrate again?

I'll keep cranking up shows like 12/6/73, 6/10/73, etc., thanks.

THAT'S ALL ON THE SUBJECT FROM ME.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I did not know Martin was producer on Long Strange Trip...

That was probably the last documentary I can handle unless there is still a lot of 60's film footage that has never been released; and there may be.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

...I asked! Surprising that I had owned at least two of those; Focus-Moving Waves and Hawkwind-Warrior on the edge of Time. Record stores that took trade-ins were like drug dealers, they had me. Tangerine Dream and King Crimson were also favorites from a friend's collection. Renaissance, It's a Beautiful Day too. Genesis also held interest with many great band members. Thank you all for your input. I have some research to do.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Roger Waters had excellent sound in Philips Arena the 3 times that I saw him there.

D&C had good sound in 2015 (I was 3 rows in front of where I was for Van Halen 2007 in the same seat, aisle, section to the right of the soundboard). D&C sound was far better than VH.
D&C 2017 sound was even better because I had GA floor and stood in the sound sweet spot for set 2. I was up by the stage for set 1 and the sound seemed muffled.
There’s video of both.

Look up DeadFloyd69 on utoob

The Roger Waters 2017 video on that channel is not from Philips (it was being renovated) but from the minor league hockey arena in the burbs. You can tell how good Water’s sound system is because that video and audio were recorded on an iPhone.

Yea.. I swore to myself I was going to listen to 30 Trips in reverse for the same reason. ..but when it arrived, I started with 1966. Fortunately they were able to pick some pretty solid performances from the ending years for the box set..

But I read the book Long Strange Trip and Garcia and others.. and some of those ending chapters were debbie downers for sure. I needed some serious attitude adjustment after I finished them.

Still.. I will likely watch it and hope they put something good together. I'll give it a chance, the subject matter is certainly of interest to me..

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

On my third listen and it’s getting better every time.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

The onlly time I saw King Crimson (I think) was on The Starless And Bible Black tour with The Strawbs opening...A friend got the tickets from a salesman who would come on a weekly basis to the record distributorship my buddy worked for...my friend was a huge Italian prog fan, had tons of PFM, Banco and other stuff...he was the first one I knew to play Amon Düül, Hawkwind (I always loved the fact that Lemmy was a member of Hawkwind), Gong etc for me...My fave Amon Düül from then was "Vive Le Trance" & "Live In London"...

Each European country had its own scene of course coloured by local specifities and traditions, often with very fluid borders between jazz and rock. Finland had a fantastic scene with one of the GREAT record labels Love records.(cheeky label logo).
I loved Wigwam and Tasavallan Presidentti ( with one of the great guitarists Jukka Tollenen) Jim Pembroke, a UK blues boom singer ,left the Band, Blues Section and joined Wigwam, his English language vocals and quirky but intelligent lyrics, add to their appeal. They signed to Virgin in their second iteration, and the label Esoteric have reissued most of their stuff. A note for the curious dont start with their first album, even if it has one of the great titles, Hard and Horny!
Do a search for Wigwams Grass for Blades, on the utoob.

Doug,
you've asked.
There was a broad scene here in Germany in the late 60s and early 70s. Can, Amon Düül were mentioned in earlier posts.
There were a lot more bands from this era who were quite popular. Some of them are still touring.
To name a few:
Embryo, Bröselmaschine, Guru Guru (first album 1970: 'UFO', reissued on vinyl and available at Amazon, contains the song: Der LSD-Marsch), Frumpy, Popol Vuh, Kraan, Ihre Kinder, Kraftwerk, Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Grobschnitt.
Saw Can, Amon Düül, Embryo, Frumpy and Guru Guru in the early 70s.
Enjoy
Gerd

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I saw the Jukka Tolonen Band at the Danish Roskilde festival in the late 70’s. Great guitarist.
I’d also recommend Richard Pinhas either under his name or in the group Heldon.

Faust had quite hight currency in England in the mid 70s due to the album Faust Tapes coming out on Virgin Records for the price of a single. Their first album, with the skeleton of a hand on the front, and pressed on transparent vinyl was my favourite. They came over, as well-an absolute blast. I once saw them perform under a screening of the silent version of "Nosferatu". That solo on sheet metal with a mallet was extraordinary.

Back in England, but harmonious with the spacier German bands were Arthur Brown's Kingdon Come. You wouldn't want to meet them on a dark night. "Journey" is a good one. Critisized by the Musician Union at the time for using a drum machine.

A great book on Hawkwind came out last year, called "Days Of The Underground-Radical Escapism in The Age Of Paranoia" written by Joe Banks.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

First an admission, I never could stand all the pompous, pretentious self important British progressive bands, I found the German scene much more interesting at least initially. For me the pivotal German label was Ohr which captured what was unique about early Kraut rock, though of course many excellent bands recorded for other labels,such as Cluster, Popul Vuh, Embryo, or the German Grateful Dead, the very fine Agitation Free. There was also the label Brain a bit later but by then the baleful (imo) influence of heavy rock had become commonplace. Time to put on Annexus Quam I think....
The Dutch had more than their fair share of psych pop, think Arnold Lane, in fact the scene closely resembled the UK scene with loads of Blues rock. The missus (then mrs Dogon to be, is Dutch) and she recalls many happy night twirling to Alquin.
The Danes had the Tull soundalikes Culpeppers Orchard and the excellent Burnin Red Ivanhoe, who were scorching live.
In Sweden however the 70s scene was totally unique, Swedish Prog was dominated by class conscious, Anti Imperialist (so sung in Swedish, not the language of the Imperialist oppressors, natch) Red Front Marxist agit prop. It has not aged too well. Though my generation has a soft spot for National Teatern, in particular Barn av vår tid which became something of an anthem. A good earlier album was by International Harvester, who I think became Träd, gräs och stenar, not so interesting to my ears..

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

For all the great prog-rock suggestions. I got me some utoobin' to do.
Cheers all!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Can’t beat the old school classic Radio Shack meter, but there are plenty of apps that’ll work for non critical observations.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Once you have determined what sound pressure is required to cause a spontaneous bowel evacuation, then let us know. I shall then ensure that I keep my dBs under that limit or I shall wear a diaper. Heath and safety rules.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html