• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Like New Speedway Boogie played at 5/14/70. A great and sadly underplayed song. Its a shame it was cursed by it's source of inspiration. A bit unneccesary, in my opinion. Whether great songs are inspired by the death of a loved one or the simple desire to make money - they are still great songs - and it's questionable how important the inspiration for the song is to the listener.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Hey DaveRock, can you please pm me your email, yours and everybody elses were accidentally erased . Thanks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by ShaggyFraggle

I’m glad that #40 finally showed up. I had a similar situation where the folks at Dave’s Priority Service were going to ship me a replacement, when my original #40 finally showed up. Since anything Covid related seems to have replaced the “dog ate my homework” as the Go To excuse, I’ll put it down to that. Just glad you received it - enjoy! Montreal - fun city!! The only city that I got caught in a traffic jam at 3am after all the bars closed, then up at 7am that morning to attend the Gran Prix! Great city, awesome ladies!

“Second” albums often tend to be duds. Artists release their first one to great fanfare, but the follow up, trying to live up to high expectations, is often pretty “Meh”. (Exceptions of course - Bob Dylan comes to mind). After listening to the new Robert Plant & Alison Krauss album, I can state without doubt they beat the sophomore jinx. This follow up album is fantastic, their voices in great form, the choice of music first rate, and great production by T-Bone Burnett. I saw them on their first/last tour (Buddy Miller alone was worth admission), and it was one of the best shows I ever saw, so I’m hoping they hit the road again.
As an aside, brother Victor Krauss was an able sideman to Bill Frisell, and he has a couple of releases of his own worth tracking down. Both he and Frisell appear on this new Plant/Krauss disc.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Well folks, I am VERY thankful that Music is the Best!!

Last 5: Plant/Krauss-Raise The Roof
Paul Weller-On Sunset
REM-New Adventures...2021 re-issue
Gov't Mule-With A Little Help...Vol. 2
Faust-The Faust Concerts Vol. 1

Dave's 41 can't get here fast enough!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Yes - tales from topographic oceans
Zappa MOI: Weasels ripped my flesh
Z MOI: burnt weeny sandwich
Stooges: Raw Power
Metallica - master of puppets

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Peter Jackson and pals have produced something awesome for Beatles freaks

Yo PJ, I bet you could work your magic on GD sound and footage

GD is one of a kind

The Beatles are The Beatles

Motorhead is organic

and then there is everybody else

imho

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Great quilt on your avatar. Crazy quilt star gown indeed!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Hi Billy - I'm not sure the pms are working at the moment, so I have emailed you my address. Hopefully its been sent to you and not someone else with the exact same name!

A few last 5's cropping up, with some great choices-Faust and Iggy and The Stooges have been rocking my boat for decades. Here's my contribution -
First Album Bob Dylan
Landed Can
Blues Rory Gallagher
Fire of Unknown Origin Blue Oyster Cult
Marquee Moon Television

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

34 years ago today I was at the Warfield Theatre for the first of 3 shows with the Garcia Acoustic band, Garcia also played 2 electric sets. These shows were big fun, this music was as good as it gets, acoustic and electric. Hopefully, all this music will be released as a whole of 3 complete shows. Daverock the pm doesn't appear to be working, that's ok , I'll get in touch with you somewhere down the line.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I watched Get Back Part 1 last night. Very interesting and cool that they had cameras and audio recorders running much of the time.
I can see how the rest of the band could have gotten sick of Yoko, she’s constantly there hovering while they are trying to write new songs.
Part 1 ends with George quitting the band and walking out.

Looking forward to the rest.

This is a good companion to Ron Howard’s “Eight Days A Week, The Touring Years”.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Yeah...she says nothing yet speaks volumes.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

The China Doll on this is fabulous. A rarity because its one of those songs that demands to be sung just right. If not, its a throw away for me. But Jerry nails it here. Dare I say... more so than 70s versions? It deserved a longer jam at the end. Should of scraped the UJB!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by FiveBranch

Sehr interesant

It might be an all-acoustic disc

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

A nice lil' 71 show

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....The Beatles benefited from perfect timing. Then they ran with it.
Beatlemania is fascinating. And yes, I cut my teeth on those boyz. I found a copy of The Early Beatles in the hall closet. It was dad's.
Asked to borrow it. Dad said yes. I never gave it back. I was around ten years old.
I was going to cancel Disney+, but, I'll wait a bit. The footage is astounding. Sound is crispy. "Everybody had a hard-on."
Imagine living your twenties as a Beatle.
Then it teases you with Quinn The Eskimo and I Shall Be Released. Love/Hate.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Think about it... that footage had almost zero value at the time

It sits like a seed for decades

The proper conditions happen

There is now a glowing blossoming document of history

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Last evening, I went to Wildlights at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo.

Wooooooooow. The vast majority of you all would appreciate it.

:)))

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I can't say this film attracts me much. I still think the mid 60s albums and singles they cut were fantastic - from 1965( at least) through to the end of 1967-even including The Magical Mystery Tour. But I was never too keen on what came next - and "Let It Be" was the pits. The title track and "Long and Winding Road" beg the question-where did it all go wrong? From the beauty of " I Saw Her Standing There" to this.

Good news if you like it though-my loss!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

Get Back didnt _have_ to get made

But Im glad it did

It is a remarkable achievement

"Jonah Hill _IS_ Paul McCartney!"

- Seattle Succatash News

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I really need to watch the movie before I pass judgment, and I will watch it, eventually. But I have to say I'm suspicious of what seems like a pretty blatant rewriting of history to give us a nice, family-friendly, Disney version of the Beatles break up.

Let It Be was Paul's baby, and it failed--by Beatles' standards, anyway. And the film that was issued at the time showed the reason why: the Beatles were barely speaking to each other, they could barely play together anymore, John and George had one foot out the door, nobody but Paul thought it was a good idea to try to write songs and record an album with a documentary team filming every cigarette and cup of tea and petty argument, and the music shows it.

Now here we are all these years later, John and George are dead, the footage gets sold to Disney, and now we get the Disney-fied version, where it's all sanitized for maximum profitability, and golly gee, now it looks like everybody was actually having loads of fun and everything was going great, and the Beatles story now has a happy ending! Yay! And look, Paul was the real leader of the group, just like he's often implied!

It's funny, but if the original film was such a horrible misrepresentation of what the whole experience was like for the band, nobody said so at the time. But Paul outlived John and George, so we get this Disney version of the latter day Beatles, something that probably would've never happened if John was around. Ah well, it's still probably fun just to see those guys in their prime, so I probably shouldn't be such a grouch about it. But like John said, just gimme some truth. No need to sugar coat it 50 years later.

Anyway ... on a cheerier note: I finally got my hands on a copy of the Olympia '72 vinyl thing via discogs. As much as I complain about GD stuff selling for astronomical prices on the secondary market, I finally found a copy that was only a few bucks more that it would've been if I'd managed to score one on Record Store Day, so I jumped on it. I think everybody here knows that show so I suppose there's no need to ramble on about how great it is. But it's really fucking great!!! EVERYBODY is playing well, everybody is in good voice, Pig's still a force, the audio is excellent, it's just fantastic. I wish it wasn't a limited edition so everybody could have this.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Playin'

Excellent

Oregon v Oregon State on the telly
Playing at
AUTZEN STADIUM

memories light the corners of my mind

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

34 years ago tonight, I was at the Warfield Theatre to hear Garcia kickoff the show with a great version of Swing Low Sweet Chariot. This was the 2nd show of a 3 night run, one acoustic set and 2 electric. Fun city!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

You lived through it and already know the story.
Has this video been released before?
It’s not as disneyfied as you would expect, swearing and off language was not edited out.
Yeah, they smoke A LOT of cigarettes. I was wondering if they were smoking weed when the cameras were off.

I think that it is interesting to see this this footage of them, even if it is presented in a positive way.
Is it not accurate? I don’t know because I was still wearing diapers when it happened. But it’s interesting to see them read the reports and gossip about them in the newspaper and the story about them is an exaggeration from what was shown in the video. Maybe it really happened and the cameras didn’t record it.

I’m not a huge Beatles fan but I like watching vintage concert/studio video of them. I have Ron Howard’s documentary on BluRay. Interesting tidbit of info from there, at the Hollywood Bowl concert one of the screaming girls in the crowd is Sigourney Weaver, they interview her for the documentary.

Anyway, part 3 tonight which supposedly contains the entire rooftop concert which I want to see because I’ve only seen portions of it before.

I am quite enjoying this. No, it's no Revolver or Rubber Soul, but it takes a peek into the creative process of a creative band at the end of a great creative streak in a way that's not typically shown. Warts and all.. there's something there that's better left said than locked up another decade or five in a vault somewhere left unsaid and unseen.

Just my point of view, I could be wrong.

Cnkd - I don't know if " Get Back" has been out dvd/video before - I think I saw it on televison in the mid 70's. Already, at that time, it felt like watching a documentary on ancient history. I used to watch and listen to everthing I could find on The Beatles ( among many, many other bands) at that time - but that one did seem like a monumental downer - the overall vibe, the mawkish songs..no, not for me - especially at that time with that mindset. Could have been my age when I saw it. If you have never seen it before, and you like The Beatles, it's probably worth watching though.

Crow-coincidence - I am half way through listening to that Olympia Paris show from 1972 on vinyl too. A great show with no filler. Even the less celebrated songs - Tennessee Jed, for example, are beautifully played. Whatever you pay for it, it's worth it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

A great among the greats. It's been in rotation for more than a decade now. The key moments in the second set probably get four or more hits a year.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Alright, huge disclaimer upfront: I am a Beatles fanatic. Bought my first Beatles record 56 years ago. Having said that, I would like to say this:
A narrative became a fact shortly after Let It Be was released to theaters in 1970. And that narrative was that this was the Beatles breaking up on film, and was full of unpleasantness. And that(based on 1 review?? 2, 4??) whatever the case may be. I had not seen the film myself between say 1996 and 2005. A friend sent me a nice print on DVD(it had never been officially released after a brief exception on Laser Disc & Video Tape). So before watching the movie in 2005, even I was prepared to see this horrible example of a beloved group breaking up. After viewing the movie, I was astounded to come away with the impression that I saw mostly joy in the film.
I believe ALL of this negativity was down to the 1 minute of film where George acts very snarky to Paul for trying to tell him how to play guitar. And yes, I think Paul was a pushy, opinionated ass sometimes, but he also drove the band forward when no one else was willing to do so.
And I don’t think anyone can honestly say that their final piece of work, Abbey Road, was a piece of crap.
So, the long standing negative vibes surrounding January 1969, at least as far as public opinion is concerned, is that it was a horrible time. It’s just not true. I challenge you to watch Let It Be, honestly, and say you came away with a negative vibe.
So yes, I am a little sensitive about this issue, and biased(as I stated upfront), but it’s amazing how a couple of negative reviews can become a fact of life for millions.
I have not seen Get Back yet, mainly because the Holiday weekend foiled all my plans to get together with friends and watch it together. But I am super excited to see it. I don’t believe Peter Jackson(NOT Disney!!) had to do any manipulation to create a false impression. He showed what the footage showed, plain and simple.
If you don’t like the Beatles, I am fine with that, to each their own(kind of like with the Dead and “eras”). And if you want to comment on the Get Back movie, maybe try watching it with an open mind first(can you do that?).
I really don’t care if people hate the movie, it just shows that nothing is loved by everyone.
Just please don’t dismiss something based on 51 year old reviews(which I believe are distorted) and try to either watch it with an open mind. Or how about this: Don’t watch it if you don’t want to. No one is being forced to watch this film.
Whew, I feel(a little) better!!
Peace to all, we like what we like and that’s definitely OK!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Sorry for kicking dirt in your face there Mr Ones. Very unintentional, I can assure you. Obviously, it's very much down to personal choice what music we like. I am sure more people would agree with you than me about post 1967 Beatles - which is fine by me. I always listen and watch with an open mind though - and it's doubtful I knew that "Get Back" had a poor reputaion when I saw it. I just found it - and the "Let It Be " album a bit depressing. I am sure I wanted to like it when I firts came across it. But I don't feel like watching it again now - how long do you think I'm going to live anyway? I always liked the second side of Abbey Road - but again, it doesn't sail as high as the mid 60s records in my estimation. But that's a subjective statement, not an objective one.

Incidentally, the blu ray film of The Beatles In India looks more like my cup of tea. There was a great documentary on televsion over summer on this subject, presented by and including music by Donovan. Now there's someone ripe for re-discovery.

That "Other One " jam at Paris 5/3/72 is something to behold. Amazing how they could so completely and succesfully re-invent this after they had already been so succesful exploring it from 1968-1970. This version is almost a different song from how they played it in the earlier years.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Others have sagely commented on the Get Back Doc, I watched part one, but won't be able to watch the rest until next weekend due to family stuff.

I agree this is pretty interesting being a fly on the wall during their efforts to create/write new songs. Being an artist, I find the creative process fascinating. And the collaborative creative process even more so.

That said, there are also a lot of boring moments where the boys are floundering about, or arguing, or discussing different wild possibilities for the live performance finale. A LOT of boring moments. And John and George are obviously unhappy at moments, you can see it on their faces. You can see when George introduces a new song, Paul and John don't show much interest supporting him. That must have been very discouraging for George. This filming and the finale were Paul's idea, and he's having a difficult time getting his bandmates on board. So watching this is obviously not everyone's cup of tea.

To speak to the disney-ing of the film footage, I don't know how Jackson could do that when he edited in SO MUCH material, at least six hours of footage. I believe this is easily a more truthful documentary than the original, which was only 2 hours.

I also found it pretty interesting in part one to see how many songs Paul had half written, which he was fleshing out during different moments. He was quite prolific during this time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

....why are you there? To make sure John wouldn't cheat on you? That happened five years later. Go read your damn paper somewhere else!
Yeah. I'm on the Yoko hate train. Always have been. This doc even makes it more evident lol. Ok. Back to being kind, but damn....at least Linda shows up and is cordial and talks to everyone then takes her pictures and leaves and lets the boyz practice. Yoko is just a lump. Ugh.
And yes, Harrison gets quite the cold shoulders throughout. That's OK. He ended up making the best post breakup release anyway with Ringo. Good on you George.
Ringo actually brings up the fact that tensions had been rising for the past eighteen months at one point.
Reminder. '68-'69 was pretty tumultuous regarding world events.
I'm loving this doc btw. It is pretty amazing. Love the birth of Carry That Weight.
I want George's furry coat btw.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

and I'm not talking about the Beatles.

There's new video of 4/27/77 from the Capitol, Passaic.

This was the first show of the GD I recorded from the radio.

I know every note of this show by heart, so I'm a happy camper.

BTW, I LOVE the Beatles and can't wait to dig in to Get Back, whatever people are saying.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Yes, Christopher Hazard it is.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Watch it just for the clothes.
Some wild stuff they were wearing.

I liked it, interesting to see them create new songs.
Overall they seem to be having fun together once they move to the Apple building and George returns.

I’m a neutral observer on this, I know a lot of Beatles songs from FM radio and cassette tapes in the 80’s because I had friends who loved the Beatles and were always playing the tapes. And then Sgt. Pepper’s came out on CD and we played that a lot. But I don’t own any of their albums and can’t even tell you which songs are on which albums.

And, Donna screams way better than Yoko screams.

I’ll leave you with a quote from Homer Simpson:
“Paul McCartney was only in one of the greatest bands ever………Wings”.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

What a great run of shows, Garcia, acoustic and electric, these shows were the best. I grew up with the Beatles music , were still talking about them and I'm still digging them,(56 years later), from 1965. I believe Garcia and Saunders met John Lennon backstage, and Lennon was knocked out that Garcia was doing Imagine. A couple of my friends saw the Beatles at Candlestick Park, Memphis, and the Cow Palace. I guarantee that the Grateful Deads music will be talked about 56 years from now.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

The other Beatles had their spouses there also.. they just didn't hog the mike with Donna Wailes during open mic brunch.

All the spouses were all there, in and out.. George had some krishna friends appear and disappear as well.. and then there was their roadie (Mal Evans??) who seemed to take up some weird real estate. If you knew the secret knock and brought brownies it was a free for all. Not that I'm a Yoko guy.. but I bet it was complicated...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Maybe there would be a market for Jean Luc Godard's "One + One"- also known as "Sympathy For The Devil", now. Extended by several hours.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ok, put Get Back on last night at the store.

I guess I like the Beatles as much as the next average fan. I think I agree with Dave,,, I like the early stuff more.

I'll be honest didn't make it through the first part and doubt I'll go back for the next 27 chapters. :-) Mostly felt who gives a shit.

If you care to come beat me within an inch of my life, I'll sent you my address, but, I've never known what it was about the beatles that made them so BIG! And lord knows growing up then, they were big.

Odd thing,,,, NO ONE ever had to explain what was GREAT about the Dead.

Added note,,,, watched TCM's production,,, King of Cool about Dean Martin,,,,,,,,,, LOVED IT.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Anyone from Canada receive theirs yet? I’m still waiting and UPS international tracking doesn’t give any updated info except the one scan from November 3. I know everything shipping related is slow right now, but…

Picking up on Dennis's point, to seems a bit odd to me why the Beatles were so big...in America. I can understand it in Britain, given the state of popular music, and popular culture generally at the time they broke. But the 1950s was an incredible time for music in America. So many great records and performers - it would be impossible to even begin listing them all. I suppose The Beatles were a slightly different generation, but the fact that so much great music existed in the recent past would, you would have thought, have lessened their impact somewhat.

It seems like a bottomless pit, too. I am still discovering rock & roll, R&B, country from this era. Weird how the 1950's used to be written off as a boring decade for music. Maybe in Britain it was - in America it may actually have eclipsed the 60's.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I rarely listen to the Beatles anymore but that's because there's not much new that I haven't already digested. However, I like them very much and it's hard to overstate their influence on music. I don't think they are over-rated.

If you ever get bored.. listen to all their albums in order, one after the other. It's really something to sequence their growth as artists and the wealth of influence they absorbed and folded in their songs. Their gift? They had a talent for absorbing influences and writing pop music that captivated the world. Too bad they didn't write and perform more.

Revolver and Rubber Soul are my favorites.. great stoned and acid music especially for 1966. I love Jerry's take on Eleanor Rigby. Jerry and I both like the Beatles, so there's that. :D

I received mine in the Toronto area a few weeks ago, it should not be taking this long. Write the good folks at this address, provide them order # etc etc, and they will help you.
Dave’sPicksPriorityService@wmgcustomerserviceDOTcom

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I can distinctly remember a vibe even into the mid-seventies of friends and in general of dissing much of early British rock. Could have simply been juvenile ethno-centric thinking. Some like Led Zep seemed to be loved right away but the pop music we grew up on was not what you played at college parties in 1975 unless you were trying to get folks to leave in the wee hours. Stones were also well accepted early so maybe I'm seeing the pop vs. rock thing by then.
Personally I had plenty of songs I liked from the Beatles but I probably didn't buy a Beatles album until I was in my early thirties in the late 1980's (Sgt. Pepper). Only bought those Beatles early years double album compilations later than that as used LPs and have maybe five more Beatles LPs and a burned CD of Revolver.
The guy who owned my local record store (gone by 2005) had the local county sales tax auditor coming to visit his shop and he made sure he had Tax Man cued up for his arrival and played it loud. Maybe why he is out of business?
Cheers all!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by That Mike

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I was hoping it was just taking a little longer and not lost or didn’t get shipped etc. I’ve been down this road before with customer service, hopefully all gets resolved in a timely manner.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I wasn’t alive then, but I think that maybe they seemed cooler than Elvis to the teenagers.

I respect the Beatles and like a lot of their songs, but I probably like Eric Burdon and the Animals better (although I can name the Beatles but don’t know the names of anyone in the Animals).

And to me Pink Floyd is the greatest British band ever, followed by a tie for second with Who, Zep, Stones.

I enjoyed watching 8+ hours of Get Back this weekend. It was a 4-day weekend and I’m getting Disney+ free for a year.
I rarely watch Hollywood movies but watch concert videos and rock music documentaries a lot, so sitting through Get Back this weekend was no problem. And I have “Imagine” on DVD (saw it in the theater in 87 or 88) and “Eight Days A Week” on BluRay (originally saw that in 2017 on an airplane flying back from Germany).

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html