• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

December 9, 1971
Fox Theater, St. Louis, Missouri

Set 1: Truckin'-Brown-Eyed Women-Mr. Charlie-Jack Straw-Sugaree-Beat It On Down The Line-It Hurts Me Too-Tennessee Jed-El Paso-Run Rudolph Run-Black Peter-Playing In The Band-Casey Jones-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Ramble On Rose-Mexicali Blues-Big Boss Man-Sugar Magnolia-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Deadicated to Rosie McGee, Ed Wolpov, Peter Corrigan, James Anderson, Michael Parrish, Ric Carter, and Alarmy.com, because I've been to too many dead concerts, there've been smokin' holes where my memory used to be…..

And now ladies and gentlemen here they are straight from Madison Square Garden in famous New York, the Grateful Dead!!!!

In retrospect this show suffers because it came right before the behemoth December 10 show. The first set is strong and has heartfelt versions of It Hurts Me Too and Black Peter. The second set is, well, short, but well played, and there’s no encore.

I thank TPTB for its official release………

Not a top tier show, but worth a listen…………..

Kinda rollin’ low………..

Rock on!!

Doc
Beauty, sweet love, is like the morning dew,
Whose short refresh upon tender green,
Cheers for a time, but till the sun doth show
And straight is gone, as it had never been…..

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I dug out "Let it be...Naked" the remix minus the Spector additions last night. Very enjoyable.

Thinking of John reminds me of the San Bernadino show 12-12-80 I attended days after John's death. In the second set, the band performed a heart-wrenching 'He's Gone', very touching.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

....they do seem much more comfortable in Apple Studios. 🍎
Great stuff. Rooftop concert is upcoming and I CAN'T WAIT!!
Edit. Interviewer asked a random man on the street what he thought. "Its too loud and it's disrupting the business in the district."
Classic!!
The women get IT though.
"Everyone had a wet dream."
I just had one and I'm awake.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

December 10, 1971
Fox Theater, St Louis, Missouri

Set 1: Bertha-Me And My Uncle-Mr. Charlie-Loser-Beat It On Down The Line-Sugaree-Jack Straw-Next Time You See Me-El Paso-Tennessee Jed-Big Railroad Blues-Casey Jones

Set 2: Good Lovin'-Brokedown Palace-Playing In The Band-Run Rudolph Run-Deal-Sugar Magnolia-Comes A Time-Truckin'>drums>The Other One>Sitting On Top Of The World>The Other One-Not Fade Away>China Cat Sunflower jam>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: One More Saturday Night

This is deadicated to Kevin Kelly……………

The solid but somewhat unremarkable first set gives no clue of the upcoming super nova second set. Highlights include the great Good Lovin’ to open and the massive jam that closes the set. Another monster December 1971 show, and one that actually does get widespread love and respect. I am eternally grateful to TPTB for its official release. Savor it!

Ladies and gentlemen we have a loose frap………..

Rock on!!

Doc
The universe is built on a plan the profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect…..

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Just read of his death. Loved The Monkees’ and his post band albums were sublime.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Sad news. He will probably be more respected for his solo career than the records he made with The Monkees-but I am not familiar with the later stuff. I have aways like those Monkees singles, though, and "Porpoise Song" is a psych classic.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

for DaP 41 in January. Had already forgotten the date so had to go back to the Seaside to be reminded. Baltimore 5-26-77 is my happy zone era but I don't want to spoil it by hearing it first on the Archive. So any opinions and superlatives? Dave seemed very high on this one putting it as one of four possibilities for DaP 1. One early DaP 40 post mentions the missing U.S. Blues encore as one of the better versions so glad it's getting on a CD quickly even if difficult to play in succession. Thanks and cheers!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

A man goes to a pacific island for vacation. As the boat nears, he notices the constant sound of drumming. As he gets off the boat, he asks a native how long the drumming will go on. The native casts about nervously and says "very bad when drumming stops."

Later that day, the drumming is still going and it is really starting to get to him. So, he asks another native when the drumming will stop. The native looks as if he's just been spooked. "Very bad when drumming stops," he says, and hurries off.

After a couple of days with little sleep, the man has had enough. He grabs the first native he sees, slams him up against a tree, and shouts, "What happens when the drumming stops?!"

The native replies, "Bass solo."

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....check out when Phil sat in with Phish 9.17.99 Shoreline. Gordon and Lesh just dueling. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I would linq it, but hey. Rules are rules. Despite lawyers and opportunists still sneaking in.
Google Phil Phish.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

40 years ago today, I was at the San Mateo County Fairgrounds to see a benefit show called Dance for Disarmement. It was billed as Joan Baez and friends, Garcia & Weir were the only friends mentioned. The Dead backed Baez with an acoustic set, and then came out and played a great electric set. It was a very small venue,( Fiesta Hall), probably only 1 thousand people there.. I see Strider was there, anyone else make it there? Anyway, we all had a blast!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

When I saw Garcia & Grisman play at the Warfield Theatre, Grisman's bass player James Kerwin, did a killer bass solo on the song Arabia, really a knockout! The shows were super special, and should all be released.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Hell yeah. Love that song and that whole band etc
We’re you at that awesome God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen they did (at the Warfield I think?) that’s on usetoob?
Cheese and Rice dood, you and Strider have bee at waaaay too many shows lol, lucky dogs!

Speaking of, where is ole Strider been hiding? Hope your all good Amigo! We miss ya round these parts!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Yeah, I saw them do that song, the band was on fire, Garcia was really on top of things, playing as good as he ever had; then they ended the show with a knockout version of Ripple, with two mandolins, just like American Beauty.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

For those interested in all the gear and decision making of LIB and Jackson's Get Back,
soundandvision dot com has a long detailed story.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Hey Billy, as I've commented before, we seem to have been at many of the same shows. I was at the Fiesta room for that sneak show with the Dead and Joan Baez.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by nitecat

before the tornado hit that area

Heard much of set one just now

Hopefully none of y'all got hit by that sh!t

Tornado in December

I lived in WI early in life and have never heard of such a thing

But it is not unheard of by meteorologists

I do not miss WI.

Green Lake in Seattle
First gig after Woodstock
Less than a mile from where I live
Some interesting stuff
First (?) Easy Wind
Flautist on a few tracks (I just accrpt it)
Short Dark Star (I just accept it) that does go into Cosmic Charlie

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Just read your joke Dennis, made me laugh.

Vguy, saw your L.A. Woman 50th post. I got into them on FM radio growing up, then bought that double CD Best Of The Doors. Then the movie came out and they were huge in the early 90s on my college campus (and others I'm sure). Cover bands were all over the place - remember being drunk and stoned at The Flying Club watching a band do a good cover of The End. Anyway, I was watching a documentary on L.A. Woman a few years ago and discovered the song Hyacinth House, which was neither on my double CD nor an FM radio song. Wow. How that song was publicly ignored, I cannot guess, but IMHO it's better than a lot of tunes on that Best Of CD. Peace Frog from Morrison Hotel too, though a buddy of mine had that CD, so I didn't miss out on it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

The Dennis quip was rather hilarious. Dead.net is one of the few things out there that provides relief and good vibes against the sea of trouble that is the rest of the world.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Since there's been interest shown I'd like to say that tickets for The Tedeschi Trucks Band & Los Lobos go on sale for Red Rocks on December 17th....the shows are late July 2022...

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Not related to any conversation, but,

My kid showed me this video of a Yamaha RA 200 amp/spinning speaker. I know we have a lot of people here, who, to this guy sounds like they know their shit.

Is this thing really cool? Anyone have one?

I was wowed by it. Can rate of spin be dynamically changed while playing without delays. Or would you stop playing for second to speed up or slow down.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

also saw that "pre-sale" whatever that means is tomorrow the 14th for those shows

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

....hit my feed this morning. They also announced additional dates, but nothing west coast. Seriously contemplating on going. Vacation days already approved.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey Proudfoot, I've looked for the old theatre around a Green Lake a few times but have never been able to find it. Do you know if it is still there, or if not where approx it used to stand?

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

it is the southwest corner; there is still a concrete grandstand there.

Think about where the rowing shells get put into the water, or where the golf greens are.

or just south of the homeless encampment/parked RVs

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

December 14, 1971
Hill Auditorium, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Set 1: Truckin'-Sugaree-Mr. Charlie-Beat It On Down The Line-Loser-Jack Straw-Next Time You See Me-Tennessee Jed-El Paso-Big Railroad Blues-Me And My Uncle-Run Rudolph Run-Black Peter-Playing In The Band-Casey Jones

Set 2: Ramble On Rose-Mexicali Blues-Big Boss Man-Cryptical Envelopment>drums>The Other One>Wharf Rat-Sugar Magnolia-You Win Again-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Deadicated to Charlie Miller---and other like-minded individuals such as Mr Bill, Sir Mick, GEMS, and Scott Clugston, because memory is the personal journalism of the soul…..

Is it just me? I have listened to this show 203,842 times (yes, I kept track) and it never fails to deliver. Inspired, intense, intoxicating, occasionally even baffling. How did they do it? Why did they do it? Who did they do it to? How many young minds were blown on this evening of delights? For me this show has attained mythic status……….

Dream like, yet firmly grounded in the reality of rock and roll. Rocking, yet soulful. Creamy smooth, yet nicely edgy. Psychedelic, yet country. Greasy, yet jammy. All Dead things to all Dead people………..

For 1971, this is the complete live Dead package. Highly highly recommended!

If the world were clear, art would not exist……

Rock on,

Doc
Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables…..

a long time ago in an existence far, far away...

I was traveling in a jet from Florida to Washington. We had a stop in Chicago. I had had half of...something ;))) for the ride. We flew in to Chicago. I had 12/14/71 playing in my cassette Walkman. Looking out my window, the sun lit up the towers of Chicago...

it was glorious

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

One could say - "like rollin' into New York City, with the skyline in the morning light" :-)

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

the Tedeschi Trucks Band shows at Red Rocks that are on sale now require a pass code for "Fan Club" members...Guess I'll have to wait for general sales on Friday the 17th...

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

It looks like Real Gone is offering a pre-order of Dicks Picks 19 on Vinyl. Considering how quickly Dicks Picks 36 vinyl sold out in combination with just how good and special 10/19/73 is.. this will likely sell out pretty quickly too.

Just a friendly FYI. That Dark Star > Morning Dew is stunning, or in the immortal words of OB.. a real Bobby Dazzler.

Pumped for this show Jim, I missed the DiP 36 too, actually found it in a record store in Seattle though, so all worked out

fall of diamonds
Yepper, Dicks 19 is perhaps my fav.
If you don’t have it, GIT SUM!

EDIT: so as not to be called out by the quote police, I allocated Bobbie Dazzler from Gary Drayton on Oak Island.
It’s what he says when he finds a “top pocket find” , kinda like shows for us!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It's vinyl! And one of my top favorite DiP's.
Can't wait!
Cheers

Last 5: 5-6-81, DiP 13
8-30-78, Aud. on archive
5-25-77, Aud. personal tapes
JGB, Don't Let Go
Will The Circle... Thanks Bluecrow!

On Deck: 12-14-71, Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, MI; Tape of GD Hour rec. 5-2-94
Gotta have Run Rudolf to decorate the tree by.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Us Marylander’s are up on the latest. Baltimore here Jim in MD.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

for the heads up on DP 19

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

So, in today’s edition of “Is this a real news story or something from The Onion?” I see it’s been announced that Jonah Hill is going to portray Jerry Garcia in a new biopic to be directed by Martin Scorsese.

Assuming it’s true, I suppose it could be good. Scorsese has directed some of my favorite films and Hill’s not a bad actor. But man, there are a lot of ways this can go sideways. Can you imagine trying to cram an accurate representation of Jerry’s life into a 2-3 hour movie? Trying to recreate the Acid Tests on film? I hope they got a really good screenwriter.

In other news: my credit card took a beating this morning, as tickets for the TTB at Red Rocks went on sale. No sooner had I secured the ducats (further back than I’d like, but not too bad) than I got a message from Real Gone saying there were selling a limited edition vinyl version DiP 19, which I felt obliged to order. (Still kicking myself for not grabbing their vinyl of DiP 36 when I could, so I had to pull the trigger on this one.) I owe, I owe, so off to work I go … but at least I’ll have some good music.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Yep. Top Pocket Find (in my best British accent).

As for the Scorsese movie, I am keeping an open mind but agree.. it could go sideways. Hopefully they pull it off.

This came up in another thread or earlier on, so to keep you from scrolling back to try to find it. Here is the recap, includes rumored casting decisions:

- Iggy Pop to play Pole Guy from Sunshine Daydream
- Sam Kinison to play Donna
- Jack Black to play Pigpen
- Daisy Duke's pants to play Bobby's Short Shorts from the 80's. (from the Original Dukes of Hazard, not the Jessica Simpson remake)
- Rocket the racoon from Guardians of the Galaxy to play Bobby's beard.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.. back to your previously scheduled The Frozen Logger > My Dog Has No Nose.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…………….

December 15, 1971
Hill Auditorium, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Set 1: Bertha-Me And Bobby McGee-Mr. Charlie-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Beat It On Down The Line-It Hurts Me Too-Cumberland Blues-Jack Straw-You Win Again-Run Rudolph Run-Playing In The Band-Brown-Eyed Women-Mexicali Blues-Big Railroad Blues-Brokedown Palace-El Paso-Casey Jones

Set 2: Dark Star>Deal-Sugar Magnolia-Turn On Your Lovelight>King Bee>Mannish Boy> Turn On Your Lovelight-One More Saturday Night

Encore: Uncle John’s Band

This is dedicated to Todd Sherman………….

High quality tapes of the massive, 18 song first set have circulated since the dawn of time and were a December 71 cornerstone in many collections. Highlights include the sweet China/Rider, fine Cumberland Blues, and a strong Hurts Me Too.

The second set appeared years later. It was worth the wait………

It kicks off nicely with the twelfth and final Dark Star of 1971, twenty minutes of jamming sonic sweetness that travels through many interesting musical spaces. The second set---and the last tour of the year---closes with mythic appropriateness with a rockin’, bluesy, rapping (hey, was Pigpen the first white rapper?) old school Lovelight.

A wonderful companion piece to December 14. When resonant harmonies arise between this vast outer cosmos and the inner human cosmos, poetry is born……

Sometimes at night I would sleep open-eyed underneath a sky dripping with stars. I was alive then.…

Rock on!!

Doc
It is my hope that during my brief passage through this universe, that I may share with you the joy of hearing the music of the stars... knowing that the composer was from a distant place and the songs were written eons ago, which now fall gently on this place for all to hear…..

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html