• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

4/24/72 RTR - the release that turned me into a casual Dead listener. Sugar Magnolia came on in the smoky basement of a home poker game shortly after it came out. I looked at the guy whose house we were at and said in a British accent "what's this mate?" And the rest was history. Still think it's the best version, but you know, you never forget your first Sugar Magnolia.

I'm with you on the 8/1/73, 6/10/73, and 11/19/72. I would add Chicago 7/25/74 to that list. Really want that last '74 Dark Star with the early Slipknot! after it.

Would still very much like the Boston Tea Party shows from the end of 1969 into New Year's. It's unreal how long a Dave's Pick 1969 drought it's been. Back to back Bonus Disc releases with 6 & 10, and then crickets for 8 years.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

7 25 74 yes KF agreed

Glad to have 2 23 74 coming our way

69 shows YES weeee neeeed moooore, Dave

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I drive home from Oregon in glorious GD goodness

Pick up son and his GF from airport on the way

Get to my house

Stove/oven and an electrical outlet not functioning

WTF

yin yang

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Trump was the one throwing millions at the drug companies in the2020with the instructions to get a vaccine now! What were the Dems doing? Saying it will never work, it will take 5 years blah blah. Harris claimed she would mess it up. Wtf he wasn’t developing it By the way I’m not anything close to a Trump supporter, as a matter of fact I resigned from the Republican Party in June 16 of 2016 when they nominated him. How many here left the Dems when they nominated a self entitled criminal in ‘16 or a clearly deficient old man in 2020. No just interested in historical accuracy

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Hi all, I just wanted to wish all you grate people on this forum the best of christmases, restful holidays, and a wonderful, safe and healthy new year!

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: I really enjoy the conversations here, I learn a lot about other music to check out, and I feel like this is a place where there is interesting, informed conversation about the best band in the world, and my favorite band. Thanks, all!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Try 1971 'whiskey and wimmen' with john lee hooker on harp and vocals. Happy holidays guys.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by carlo13

On harp. JLH didn’t play harp and you can hear him in amazement as to how the Blind Owl can keep up

user picture

Member for

7 years

I meant harmonica.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!!!

Christmas is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. So if anybody out there needs some 1971 Christmas joy in their stocking, you know where to find me! The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness rather than in its value........

Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive.........

Happy and safe holidays to all, and rock on!!

Doc
Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart......

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

That's an amazing album. Not very seasonal - but that version of "Burning Hell" is corrosive. John Lee talks about Pigpen inbetween songs, too-dissing his cooking. I presume that's the same Pigpen.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

and I'm sure no one here wants to hear the ravings of a trumpian, so let's all be thankful that the orange loser is not in power anymore and be done with it.
The best xmas present ever, trump in jail.

user picture

Member for

7 years

You are correct, sir. Canned/Hooker combination is sweet as honey. Hooker adds that voice that you can't find anymore. Legendary. It is going to be a long, long road to 74' winterland, and Baltimore. If you signed up for the early pigeon subscription, it is even that much better.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ok, everyone gave me enough amazon gift cards I was able to buy a copy of DP36 in vinyl. (missed it by this much when it came out!!) Just for argument sake it was 350 (new/unopened)

My question is how many of the dicks have been put out in vinyl? I have 8, 26, 19 and now 36. Am I missing any?

Hope everyone had a super Christmas and Santa left you everything you ever wanted!

Dennis - I think 24 came out too-3/23/74. I am not 100% sure - I didn't get it. There was one from 1974 that I dithered about...and while I was trying to make my mind up, it disappeared off Amazon. Whichever 1974 show it was - the last time I saw it was on Discogs...for hundreds of pounds

At the El Monte Legion Stadium (of Frank Zappa fame) for the start of a three day run...one of those night's had an "Easy Wind" that was so good and powerful I thought the back wall of the arena was going to blow out...

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

With the "Uncle John's" 2nd set sandwich is another fine listen for today...

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

DiP 19 recently came out on on vinyl Real Gone, and I grabbed me one. I think I kind of panicked.

Last year Real Gone put DiP 36, which is one of my 3-4 most favorite of the whole series, but money was tight, and I hesitated and it sold out and then I regretted it. So when they announced they were doing 19 I ordered it immediately, even though to me it's only a very good and maybe not great show. But I'm still glad to have it. Not sure how many others they've done on vinyl but they've done quite a number DiPs and Road Trips on seedy. It's worth it to subscribe to their email newsletter if you're looking for that stuff.

Just btw, I received a vinyl copy of the Goat Head Soup reissue for Xmas, and I'm enjoying it more than expected. I really only wanted it to get the 'Brussels Affair' live set, which is some of very best live Stones on record IMO, but the studio album is better than I remember. Lots of songs I'd forgotten all about (Winter, Silver Train, Hide Your Love) are actually really good. Also never noticed what a major contributor Bill Wyman was on that record: very melodic, tasty bass lines throughout. I'll say it again: to me, the Stones haven't sounded like the Stones since he retired. And of course the Brussel stuff is amazing.

Speaking of Real Gone Dicks: One thing thing that I'm pretty sure was just exactly as bad as I remember is 2020. I refuse to rise to the bait and try to list all the ways that **** failed to address the public health crisis that was killing thousands of Americans per day for months at a time. (Who has the time?) I'll just say this: if you're going say in the middle of a crisis "I take no responsibility," then you don't get to come back later and say "I want to take credit."

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

No complaints

But

"Official release" worthy? Dick was keen on 9 8 73?

Ooooodd

Luckily we got the St. Louis box

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Nappy, cool show, I've never heard these before. P.F., yeah these would make a great box set.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Check the liner notes on Goats Head. There ain't a Stones album from the Bill
Wyman era where he contributes less. Keith & Mick Taylor played bass on many
of the tracks. Apparently Wyman either wasn't invited those particular days or was
out sailing on his yacht ... An underrated effort by the Rolling Stones - last good
lp from the MIck Taylor era. Brussels is the live gold standard for the that line-up!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I love how you x'ed out its name lol.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It;s a great album, Goats Head Soup - maybe not as funky as Exile, but the actual songs may be better in some respects. And The Brussels Affair is my favourite live album of theirs.

It's a pity Stones box sets always cost so much ( Black Sabbath's are even worse) When you compare the cost of a Stones box to the cost of, say, the 6 cd Mighty Baby retrospective, the latter works out about three times cheaper. And if you were to ask me which I played the most, the answer would be....The Mighty Baby.

Great Dead shows at Oakland December 1979. 12/26 and 12/28 are anyway. The 26th features maybe my favourite jam of theirs with Brent at the wheel.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

No contest. In my house Mighty Baby wins hands down. That's like Max Bygraves Vs Tom Jones.

I listen to So Many Roads release from...a while ago

I really like it

I would love another one like it

There must be a bunch of great music in shows that can't be released as full shows for whatever reasons

I'd buy it

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Sooooo many.....people

And

OUR FLIGHT GOT CANCELLED.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Punch an airline in the nose today, kids!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

42 years ago today , I was at the Oakland Auditorium for a killer show with the good ole Grateful Dead, what a blast!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Listened to 12/29/77 DP 10 all the way through for the first time in ages . That is some quality Wolf era '77. Terrapin Station really rocks on this one.

The Brussels Affair is great. Ladies and Gentlemen...The Rolling Stones is also an outstanding must have from the Exile Tour the previous year (best of 4 shows) released as a movie. There are a few different songs and a few better performances (check out Happy, Tumbling Dice, Bitch, Love in Vain, Sweet Virginia, and Dead Flowers on L&G). The Blu-ray sounds much better than the CD because it 's in 5.1 Surround Sound. I think Keith's vocals are bit better on L&G as well. The Brussels Affair on the other hand has a Midnight Rambler and Can't Always What You Want that may be the live GOATs; then there's Dancin' with Mr. D and Heartbreaker live, which I find more raw and exciting than the studio versions. I'm going back to back on these now....

I went back to that Mighty Baby box set, and it really is superb. I can't think of any other British band that could jam as freely as this, without reverting to blues rock. If, having already got the signature albums, you passed this by, Simon, I highly recommend it. Great to hear so much of that Glastonbury set from 1971 that was featured on one side of that album all those years ago. Its not Daves Pick standard sound wise, but its infintley better than that side on the Glastonbury L.P.
I never saw them live - but I did see guitarist Martin Stone during his brief time with the Pink Fairies. It was 1976. I was 19. I don't remember a darned thing about it.

Dead of the day -3/17/68 from 30 Trips. Grrreat. Lovelight, when it still sounded fresh, kicks things off in fine style. I've only played the first two songs, so the best is yet to come.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

38 years ago today, I was at the S.F Civic for a knockout show with the Dead. I put this show on my top 10 list of Grateful Dead shows I've attended. December, what a great month for Grateful Dead shows, I think they could put out a box set of December Grateful Dead year end shows : 12/68, 12/69,12/70, 12/71, 12/72, 12/77, and on and on.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

A Bay Area Legend, I was a huge fan of the Oakland Raiders back in the 1960s.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

8-23-68 153116.8trackmix.gems (playing now, on Caution)
12-28-91 UM.144626.dm.miller
9-9-87 UM.106823.cm.miller
12-28-69 8999.cotsman

A grease sandwich with 2 anniversaries.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Looks like one of Peter Sinfield's pearls of wisdom - though I'm not sure he was on board that early on.
I do like the lyrics of some of the psych/prog rock bands from the late 60's early 70's. I was listening to the Tyrannosaurus Rex album "Prophets Seers and Sages The Angels of the Ages" yesterday - a sample of the words?-
"A cobra seer with the puntured ear
Slaughtered a Malayan Sun bear
Night stood erect with bronzen haunches
Zapped the seer gave the bear back to us."

Genius. They don't write 'em like that anymore.

That's a truly great song - one of Bowie's best. Both that, and the album that preceded it, "Man Who Sold The World" are full of strange and wonderful songs. I do like records that somehow manage to be both profound and absurd at the same time.

....but, lo and behold, they are going to play a 3 set show on NYE without an audience on their app and YouTube channel. Starts at 5:30 pm EST sharp.
Did I mention its free??
Pardon my French, but that's pretty fucking cool of the band. They remind me a lot of the Grateful Dead in that they just want to play. And appreciate their phans which is payed forward.
Oh, and it might snow in Vegas tomorrow lol.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html