• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Jaysspacedhead

Zeitgeist, meine Damen und Herren.

they do appeal to a loooooooooooooot of people.

If you aren't keen on the Beatles, check out Zappa's "Oh No"
and
Mott the Hoople "my brother's back at home with his Beatles and his Stones; we never got it off on that Revolution stuff. What a drag. Too many snags."

....Alan Parsons was the tape operator during the recordings. Neat!
Onto episode two. They are long (and winding roads).
The credits are almost as long ha!
9:45 mark of episode 2. Paul and Ringo's eyes welling up when they accept that the band was pretty much over. Strong stuff. At least to me.
Bear with me dead.net. They were Vguy's first favorite band. Hard to shrug off. I realize this is a Grateful Dead site, but there is so much on this doc to digest. Jim is correct. How much they transformed in seven short years is a testament to their talent. Quote John. "Is Tuscon in Arizona?". Lmao. I remember like yesterday Howard Cosell announcing during the Monday Night football game between my Dolphins and New England that Lennon was shot in the back. I cried for two days. Mom and Dad left me alone. I asked for a candle and they gave me one. Burned it in my bedroom while listening to Rubber Soul. I cried when George died too.
I cried when Cosell died as well. I'm an emotional person and tears flow freely.
Deer Creek is a grate release btw.
Edit. Peter Sellers showed up. Nice.
Edit two. They unbox a brand new Leslie at Apple Studios. 🍎
Edit three. The band gets a brand spanking new Beggars Banquet record, then put their ashtrays on it. Jealous? Perhaps.
This. Is. GOLD. Ok. No more edits.

So 53 years ago tonight I was at The Shrine Expo Hall in Los Angeles to see Ten Years After, The Moody Blues & The Jeff Beck Group...you may wonder how I know this but can't remeber last week...well, some years back when I discovered Google Image I just started poking around & entering LA gigs, venues etc and came across quite a few posters, handbills & newspaper clippings of gigs I went to that I saved to a photo folder...I started posting them on my FB page so I get quite a few reminders there....also being in touch with many of the people I grew up with keeps those kind of memories going...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

VGuy’s mention of Peter Sellers made me think of a Beatles anecdote from this era. While preparing filming for Terry Southern’s “The Magic Christian”, Starr tells the story of how his costar in the movie - Peter Sellers - came to pick him up in his vehicle for shooting, and when Ringo got in the car, Sellers pulled out a ball of hash big enough to choke a horse. Terry Southern, who wrote Candy, and wrote for Dr Strangelove and Easy Rider, was quite a personality himself, known to the Beatles, Stones, Warhol, etc, and ended up in infamy as being one of the cast of dozens pictured on the Sgt Pepper album (at Ringo’s suggestion). Southern was also behind Barbarella, and he pushed very hard for Anita Pallenberg to be cast in the lead role, but Jane Fonda prevailed, thanks to her marriage to Director Roger Vadim, and the rest, as they say, is history!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

"There are only two kinds of people in the world, Beatles people and Elvis people. Now Beatles people can like Elvis, and Elvis people can like The Beatles, but nobody likes them both equally. Somewhere you have to make a choice. And that choice tells you who you are."

So says Mia Wallace in the film "Pulp Fiction".

The question alone shows how old you are! :-)

Probably not on the list of the "kids" for a dividing line. I'm 66 in January and have been asked by the youth what it was like during the depression!

Emily Dickinson wrote, "The heart wants what it wants, or else it does not care."

I use that line when people want to buy expensive glass bongs!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Please consider supporting two righteous non-profits today: The Rex Foundation and Live Music Archive.

Be kind, rewind . . .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

"If you don't think Elvis was no. 1 you're full of no. 2" sez Webb Wilder.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

Remove the word "Don't" and I'm all in. As an add.. I'll take the rotund Jerry over the rotund Elvis any day of the week.

I have a lot of respect for Elvis and what he did. but....

Now where were we.. oh that's right, back to your regularly scheduled After Midnight > Eleanor Rigby > After Midnight. ahh... I feel better.

In support of DEADHEADBREWER's post...

From the Internet Archive

Giving Tuesday: Triple Your Impact
Thanks to a generous donor, every gift you make to the Internet Archive until the end of the year will be matched 2:1. That’s right: donate $10 to the Internet Archive today and it turns into $30 to keep our servers humming.

....I've admitting been shunning it lately. Been on a Beatles, Black Crowes, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Trivium thing lately.
Finally getting around to the 19th show. So much music is a blessing, not a curse.
Phish released the Clifford Ball on LP. Four hundred smackers. Vinyl would break me if I dove in headfirst.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....plus a booklet. Plus shipping.
A bit above, but not that much. I would imagine it's a heavy beast.
Plus, the shows aren't too shabby either.
My Dave's 40 glass has been waiting for a label for four days by the way. Oh well.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Proudfoot those words be from Public Enemy,,, Fight the Power.

VGUY, I too am waiting for final glass.

I saw the Phish shows when I came home last night and thought I'd ask my wife to get me for christmas,,,, checked again in the morning, sold out!!!

Elvis did have that hit with the song about VD,,,, I think it was a PSA.

" Since I caught the clap, I can't pass water.
Oh you should see how my junk has swollen.

(then the Donna part,,,,, high voice,,, Junk has swollennnnn)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis-yes, I thought that "Pulp Fiction" quote re Elvis and The Beatles was a bit dated when I typed it. According to The Clash, there would be "No Elvis, Beatles or Rolling Stones." And that was in 1977 !

Most of my generation, who I now know -I'm 64 - don't like Elvis because they remember him from his white jumpsuit phase in the 70's. They don't know about Sun Records or the "68 Comeback Special". And if you think that's bad - they've never even heard of The Dead. Difficult times we live in.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

White Jumpsuits are out?

Crap.. mine is being shipped and it's nonrefundable. The things you learn here at dead.net.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Public Enemy was half right; John Wayne was a white supremacist by his own admission, but Elvis was no racist at all, quite the contrary if you're familiar with his career.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I have a turntable and old vinyl, but I have very little opportunity to listen. CDs travel better.

Elvis racist? I don't know. I never met him. PE threw that into Fight the Power for effect.

I remember seeing Do the Right Thing at a theater here in the Emerald City in 1989. The building is now a drug store (Walgreens or CVS or Oxyland or something)

Be safe, be nice, be sane, be generous, be kind my people as we head into December.

Oh, and wear a white jumpsuit.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

My OCD is forcing me to say:

Get Back film's original title was "Let It Be'
There is less than 5 minutes of footage duplicated in Get Back from Let It Be film
Let It Be's run time is 80 minutes(1 hour, 20 minutes)

Why do I feel the need to type this??
I just told you at the beginning of this post!!

Now I'm waiting for a 6-cd Zappa box that I'm pretty sure I will play in it's entirety once, and possibly never again.
Why?? See above

Best of Health and Happiness to all. Life is too short to waste time being angry or arguing.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Will they be announcing the grand prize winner of 30DOD? When I clicked on the 30DOD banner today it took me to the downloadable list of the 30 days and the artwork. I had to find a post on the bottom of the home page community section just to find out who won yesterday which is there with the comments. How do I get there if there isn't a comment posted recently? Community tab, then like how I find this page? Thx, confused technophobe
Cheers!

Edit: Thanks to Ever Grateful for showing me how to navigate to the 30DOD comments. I think I got it now!

Edit 2: Well that worked for a couple hours. Now the 30DOD page has disappeared. Who got the STL Box?

To be fair I only have the vaguest idea who they are. But that quote printed on here is more indicative of authorial ignorance than insight. One point of view is that people who attach labels to others, without prior knowledge of that person, are in effect describing themselves.

user picture

Member for

11 years

Still tryin' to keep up, criss-crossing these boards.. Nappy's 53 years ago comment reminded me when I caught The Jeff Beck Group (opening for) Big Brother and The Holding Company, at Alexandria (VA) Roller Rink fall 1968. That was the first big concert I could drive to, recently sixteen. Ronnie Wood, Nicky Hopkins, Rod Stewart were with JB... lets just say Rod had not yet found his full voice, Jeff killed it, Janis was amazing. I did get down to Fort Reno Park in Northwest D.C. a lot that summer when local bands began to appear weekends, Danny Gatton, Root Boy Slim, Liz Meyer, The Nighthawks, Jorma and Jack before they left for California. Loved the Beatles as a teen, but when I had to choose between Surrealistic Pillow and Sargent Peppers in 1967, due to a limited budget, I went with the Airplane, Jorma's Embryonic Journey just blew me away. Never saw the Beatles, did manage to see half of them at MSG, the Concert for Bangaladesh, along with a few other characters. As much as I love Rubber Soul, The White Album is peak for me... there, I got the "color" white into the conversation, not as clothing. Ever so slowly progressing through the River Box, listening to each show multiple times casually, then carefully, have only made it through 71 and 72 so far. There are a few odd spots, off mixes etc, but so great to have it, warts and all. The net result seems to be to me, 1971-1974 is well represented now, 1976-1979 almost as much, more late 60s please.

Mr Ones - you sound like the kind of man that might appreciate Iggy and The Stooges Funhouse Sessions - in form if not content. 30 takes of hard rock classic "Loose" take on a mantra like quality after about 40 minutes. And you'd still only be about half way through it.
I have mixed feelings about sets like this. The last King Crimson box is largely devoted to different versions of the songs on "In The Court Of.." album, and it does look a bit much. Ditto Jerry Lee Lewis's Complete Sun Sessions - although I do hover over that one.

DMCVT - amazing to have seen Danny Gatton live. One of the best rock n'roll guitarists I have ever heard. The live "Humbler" credited to Robert Gordon, but featuring Danny Gatton on guitar, is one of the best, and most little known, live albums I have ever heard.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I must have missed it, but, they've seem to be releasing one from the vault in vinyl.

This doesn't seem to be an "official" release.

70 bucks 3 lps,,,,, opinions?

OKAY back again,,,,, I JUST found "experience vinyl" is selling the 3/1/69 fillmore show on vinyl box set,,,, I haven't seen an annoucement about this anywhere. I just preordered. okay fucked up and ordered two,,,, sent email to correct (asked them to change out 2nd copy for One from the Vault.

Here's hoping,,,, if not I'll have an extra copy of 3/1/69

I already have 1FTV on vinyl. My copy is 140 g, not 180 g.
Sounds good.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Well it seems fillmore 3/1/69 is sold out on a couple of sites, Experience Vinyl, says they still have.

Experience is also hawking 2 & 3 from the vault coming next month.

So I have fillmore 3/1/69 coming along with all 3 vault releases.

Getting hard to hide this shit from wife!!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I imagine deadnet will be putting 3/1/69 vinyl up for sale soon. Dennis, Experience Vinyl is a great site, I had never heard of it before, looks like they are still selling 3/1/69.

I thought the site had more than I could afford!

I was surprised to find so many vinyl of the month clubs out there. I had joined Third Man Record club when they released the Dylan Box Set,,,, next release from them is a white stripe album.

A little scared to join any other "of the month" things!

(sidebar - anyone out there remember Billy Bang Bang and his Brother Butch? Name always springs to mind when I see Billy the Kid!)

Experience vinyl says ‘expected 1/28/21’.

That’s over 10 months ago.

Assuming that’s a typo and it’s supposed to say 22, Dead net/Rhino are going to release 3/1/69 on vinyl and DaP41 at the same time?

Skeptical minds want to inquire.

What’s the scoop Dave?
And what’s DaP42 going to be?

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

It's ironic that you should mention the Funhouse sessions box. I was a big fan of Rhino Handmade when they existed, and was always sorry that they stopped putting stuff out. I once got an email for a J. Geils Band "expanded edition" of their Full House album, but it was never released for some reason. I contemplated buying the Stooges box, repeatedly, but never pulled the trigger. Like you, I am not too big on multiple takes of the same song, they tend to get tedious for me. Only Miles Davis & The Beatles can make me sit through multiple takes of the same song. Dylan, not really, which is why I passed on what everyone else considered to be the motherlode, the set from the trio of releases from 65-66.
also, I can assure you that you have never 'kicked sand in my face'. I am quite tolerant of opinions that differ from my own, and rarely take offence(see what I did there??). You are one of my top favorite posters here, and rarely have I disagreed with you, in fact, I am always surprised when my opinion DOES differ from yours.
Also, I was going to chastise you for not mentioning the Tintern Abbey 2-disc "Beeside" set on the Grapefruit label. Perhaps you don't own it, but if not, you really should. I was tipped off through my MOJO magazine subscription, bought it from Amazon UK, and was extremely pleased with it. Great British Psychedelia from 67-69!!

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Mr Ones - good to read that all is well - and that the Tintern Abbey collection is good. I have only heard two tracks by them, the heavily anthologised "Vacuum Cleaner" and " Beeside" - both classics. I first heard them on the first British psychedelic compliation I ever bought - "Chocolate Soup For Diabetics" in....1980! If you see this one for sale-avoid at all costs - it sounds terrible. But it was a good introduction at the time.

We are being a bit spoilt for choice with psychedelic complitions from the British Underground - roughly 1966-1973 - at the moment. The most recent one I have seen is the 5cd "Think I'm Going Weird" - which is quite pricey but looks fantabulous. l
Lots of sets focussing on individual years, now, and on subgenres - heavy, progressive, folk etc. I was listening to one this morning, as it goes - "Dust on the Nettles" which is a compilation of acid folk. I don't think this genre exisetd by that name in the late 60s early 70s, but its since been identified and marketed as such.

My all time favourite "acid folk " album is called "First Utterance" by Comus. It's scary - but I like it.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just got in my copy of the Jerry Garcia Band Deluxe vinyl (30th Anniversary Edition)

Very nice box and packaging.

First the box set was wrapped in a cardboard holder so it didn't bounce around in the box during shipping. The last few boxes have just been thrown in boxes with a tiny piece of bubble wrap and have had corners dented.

The records themselves came in the usual anti static plastic sleeves, but every album was also in a cardboard with a hole in the middle so you could tell what album it was without extracting it from the outer sleeve.

Finally the last side had a VERY nice etching on it. Jerry with hand raised in finish of song. Etching was very heavy and very legiable .

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

now there's a name I haven't heard in a while, what a character. The first Root Boy Slim lp was so good, and what a band.

Dennis, might I suggest a treehouse or a stand-alone 'garage' out back. Don't worry, she will never step foot inside.

Of course, with all that vinyl and those box sets it will have to be climate controlled. Might as well add a kick ass stereo and security cameras. ..a wet bar, whatever... spare no expense. Oh, and be sure to buy a turntable.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Sounds like Dennis needs the whole house and the Mrs needs the sheshed lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

We could use a medium sized Quonset hut for the other Halfs books, and a large stereo/music/theater room. for moi.
So 2 large structures with a teeny tiny little living house lol

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html