• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Perhaps we could all learn a thing or two from VGuys playing card. Be kind this week and the ones that follow.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Mennonite or Amish

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Man, Iggy as Pole Guy … you are crackin me up bro. Jack Black as Pigpen is pretty damn good too.

I couldn’t think of anything remotely that good, but I’m gonna say Jeff Goldblum as Phil and Bill Murray as Kreutzman. Sasha Baron Cohen as Micky. You know who’s a tough one to peg? Weir. Hard to find a guy who can do that mix of heart throb + cross-eyed deer in the headlights. Maybe Dustin Hoffman could pull it off. And then there’s Jerry. I got no idea who could play him.

Worst audience? One gig stands out in my mind: I saw Los Lobos once at a university performing arts center, where it looked like they brought in the same audience full of rich white people who go there to see Yo Yo Mama. (I don’t want to be more specific, because I know people who work at the venue, and they’re nice.) The Lobos were up there working their asses off, playing great, but the audience was so still and quiet they coulda been a painting. And then the band got rattled, and didn’t play well, and started making sarcastic comments about the audience. Ugh. Just a bad experience.

Glad to see the TTB getting some love. The Layla record is good, but seriously, if you want to know what they’re about, you need to listen to the live shows. Kinda like the Dead in that regard. They’ve got a couple very good ‘official’ live albums (including one from Oakland where I was happy to be in attendance) and several other full concerts available from Nugsnet, some of which are available as video. Highly recommended, at least until you can go see in them in the real.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

if you check on glue tube for tedeschi trucks darlin' be home soon. Incredible.

The band is hitting on all cylinders.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

....but it would be TTB, Crowes, Dead, Crowes, TTB.
That's a sammich.
I got the abbreviations down pat.
I still don't know how Derek does it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

I wasn't too crazy about the trend to flick spit at bands in the punk era around 1977.

But the absolute worst audience I have ever been trapped within was at Reading Festival in 1977. A reggae band - possibly Steel Pulse -got bottled off as they did not fit the white rock boogie template. Then the following day Jayne County - Wayne as she was then-got bottled off for being different. A racist and homophobic mob - what was I doing there? Definitley time for me and hard rock to part company.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

No question, my two favorite, currently working, live bands. Even with a dozen people, two drummers, etc., TTB turns on a dime. And between Derek's guitar work and Susan's vocals (and Mike Mattison's), horns, backup vocals, they've got the soul/R&B revue and flat-out rock thing down.

As for the Lobos, what to say? Great people, I've met half the band. And deep knowledge of multiple instruments and incredible range of material. And best of all, they've got soul and spirit.

I hope my tic to see Lobos in Boulder in March happens. And I plan to seek a tic to TTB at the Rocks next summer, having missed 2020 and 2021 there. It's only 20 minutes away.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I've seen TTB 5 times, mostly in smaller places. After the last time, walking out my girlfriend and I said at the same time "this band never disappoints".

I second the recommendation of the Oakland show. Great stuff. I like their studio albums. The second disc of the Layla show is a desert island one. Not a bad second on it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I went solo to see TTB at the Morris Theater in South Bend, IN in 2016, got myself a 4th row ticket on Derek's side. One of the best shows I have ever attended. That said, it also featured quite possibly the lamest audience I have seen. Nobody was up and shaking their bodies despite a stellar performance. I was on the aisle so I can't say nobody was up shaking-- I was. When the band came out for an encore, a lady off to the right asked if it was ok to be up and dancing and Susan replied, but of course. They proceeded to melt our faces with a sweet Bitches Brew jam. I left with this opinion-- Derek Trucks does something amazing every song and TTB is my favorite working band today. Non-GD that is, though today TTB is much stronger than any current GD-related band.

I second Hendrixfreak-- Los Lobos is my second favorite. Just had Colossal Head in for my commute this morning. Love those guys.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

....I've seen them four times and never left disappointed. Keeping TTB on my concert bucket list for sure. Currently on the east coast, but I see two dates at Red Rocks in July. I've never been there. They might just give me an excuse to go.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

til you see a great band at Red Rocks under the stars (or while it's snowing). I heartily recommend a light but solid dose when you make it there. I've seen the GD, the ABB, Bonnie Raitt, Santana, Dylan, Fogerty, Phil & Friends, all starting with Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger in '74. Dosed heavily to GD, ABB and Santana.

The joy is not universal. I caught Lyle Lovett one time. Big Texas swing band starts up and I'm on feet dancing when someone yells "Sit down!" I look around at 10,000 people: not one of them on their feet. I'm friends with a lady who walks the rows selling beers and she comes by: "Who ARE these people" she whispered. We were in the wrong crowd. Later, it started raining and, guess what, everyone decided it was okay to get up and move. Too bad; I'll never risk a Lyle Lovett show again and he's awesome. But his crowd sucks.

Anyway, compare that to the "kind" crowd for GD, ABB, etc., and even in today's over-regulated concert environment, you'll be glad you made the pilgrimmage. Then you can go climb a mountain.

does it rain there as much as folklore says?

Bob Weir said something along the lines of "the annual Red Rocks rainout"

Nice and rainy here in Seattle today

I think a lot would depend on how good your moves were. If your going to block someone's view, you need to give them something good to look at. Otherwise it might be thumbs down, I'm afraid. You really would be depending on the kindness of strangers then.

Well when I die, don't you bury me at all
Just nail these bones up on the wall
Beneath these bones let these words be seen
"This is the bloody gears of a boppin' machine."

I had something of flashback this morning, and it occurred to me that the first gigs I saw weren't heavy bands in the early 70s, they were in Blackpool theatres with my parents in the mid 60s. Notable ones were
Gerry and the Pacemakers
Frankie Vaughan
The Black and White Minstrel Show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The Black and White Minstrel Show. I remember seeing that on BBC television when I was very young, probably the late 1950s or early 1960s. As one can imagine, the name had nothing to do with the fact that this was before the advent of colour television. The George Mitchell Minstrels had a lot to answer for. Even way back in those days, how could anyone think that this was remotely acceptable. How times change.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I remember in Blair Jackson's Golden Road magazine when he wrote a review of the 7/22/84 show in Ventura, there was a photo of about 5 or so guys dancing on the roofs of the portable toilets. I was at the show and I don't remember seeing that. It was a great show. Ventura was a blast!

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Alpine Valley late August 1990, bill of Robert Cray Blues Band, SRV and Double Trouble and Clapton. A big group of friends caravaned down to Alpine, we set up a keg in the lot and other extracurriculars. My buddies from college had some fine paper that we consumed along with a couple of lady friends and we were off and on our own.

I vividly recall that day-- Cray played a fine set and then SRV came out. Well, nobody was topping SRV that night. We were on the hill and SRV starts Superstition and none of us can help but get up and dance. Then the calls for us to sit down started. We looked around, shook our heads and moved down the hill to where folks were taking in the wonder that was SRV on that final weekend. Blew the proverbial roof off the place.

I have always appreciated the generally laid back outlook at Dead shows. Dance or don't dance; people are free to move about without much hassle; go to the bathroom and your spot will still be there and you will be permitted to get there. I went to Phish on Northerly Island in Chicago about 8-9 years ago. Three set show general admission on the lawn and you literally could not sit down the entire time, even during set breaks. You would get trampled. Go to the bathroom during a set and getting back to your people was not doable. Phish fans were very territorial. And we were nowhere near the front. Alas, I haven't seen them since.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Daverock, you hit the nail on the head. 9,999 people do not want to see me gyratin' to the music. It involves nothing more than shuffling the feet forward and backward and moving the buttock-ular muscles left and right -- and that cannot be a pretty sight. Of course, the place is packed, so there's no room to move and I'm not a dancer. If you take away the word "dancing" and substitute the god-given right to stand up and move to a swing band, that's a more accurate picture.

Vguy, I'm dyin' to see The Gorge and may next year as a friend from Steamboat here is moving to the Columbia River next year and eventually I'll visit. So I cannot compare them. Indeed it rains (and snows) at Red Rocks shows. There were times in the 1979-1987 GD years when the show went on in pouring rain; other times, when well before show time it was clearly going to be a full washout the show was moved to McNichols Arena (famously, August 1979). One time, the day was sunny and hot (80s) and we were in line all day for the ABB to score front row center GA seats. Just before showtime the temp drops to ~40 and freezing rain began to fall and continued all night. Fortunately, I had whiskey and morphine, which took the edge off. They built a little cabin of plastic sheeting around Gregg and cut a hole in it so he could see the rest of the band. Classic stuff. I was not in attendance at a legendary Neil Young show when it snowed like hell. At the eastern base of the Rockies, the foothills can produce anything and frequently do.

So, yes, Red Rocks is rightly notorious for its weather. I always take an old daypack with wool and rainwear and hidden drugs and alcohol. Yet, if one goes often enough, you'll get a warm, star-filled night.

Some classic moments: we're back far enough to see over the stage to lit-up downtown Denver. The GD are jamming. Lightning erupts over the city and a big flash occurs. The crowd goes "oooo." Bobby looks over at Jer, unaware of the cause of the crowd's appreciation, with a look that says, "Ain't we somethin'?"

Nothing will touch their first shows there in July '78. We (and many others) were loaded to the gills with purple dragon blotter all afternoon, so when the sun eased off and the lights came on and the boys assembled and broke into Jack Straw, it was pretty sweet. I was 20 years old, long hair, t-shirt, jeans, sneakers - standard operating procedure.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The last SRV show?

Red Rocks is awesome. The Gorge is on my list 100% for sure.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Apples to Oranges, both spectacular.
I’d give the nod to the rocks, biased I’m sure, but if your at the Gorge on the right night with the sun setting over the River gorge in the west, it is pretty sweet.
One thing about the gorge is it’s kinda in the middle of nowhere.
Both worth the time/resources to check out a good band.
Both highly recommended!

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Jim, second to last SRV show. I traded tapes with a guy who recorded SRV's last show and I had that boot for so long. He wasn't sharing it around and that show deserved to be heard by SRV's fans, so I eventually shared it on a forum and then cds of that show started turning up. He absolutely crushed it that weekend.

Eerie story here. I went to the GD at Tinley Park in July and bought a sweet pink star tie dye in the lot the last night and wore it to Brent's last show. It turned into my 'Last Stand' t-shirt. I then wore it to the SRV show and didn't wear it for five years, bad karma. Getting ready for the Grateful Dead at Soldier Field 1995, I absentmindedly grab the shirt and halfway to Chicago, curse myself out for wearing it. I haven't worn that shirt since. It still lurks somewhere in storage in my house, though I can't recall where. Probably in great shape for a 30 year old shirt with fewer than 10 wears. Humans can be a superstitious lot, even folks who are not (I do not consider myself to be).

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

My sister caught that one and I have what must be a tape of the simulcast from some radio station (guessing Boulder?). Still kicking myself for missing that opportunity. She had never seen him or heard all that much of his catalog and came away saying she'd never heard one person make so much amazing sound.
SRV is my third most collected artist in a tie with Clapton, behind ABB, and WAY behind the GD. No bootlegs but most of his published catalog. Trying to make up for lost shows I guess.
Cheers! And let's all meet up at The Rocks this summer!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

you might want to burn that one

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

Simon - yes, it was weird how acceptable The Black and White Minstrel show was in 1960s Britain. Widely accepted by my parents generation - they were regularly on television during my childhood. I wasn't endorsing it by mentioning, by the way - terrible stuff.

Hendrixfreak - sounds good-I hope I didnt cause offence with my comments - just joking - but if I did - apologies. 99% of the gigs I have been to, people have rubbed along quite happily. I have behaved in every way imaginable at shows I have attended over the years. From dancing, sitting attentively, to being carried out unconcious. And that was all in the same night. I tend to sit and stare now. You would think nothing was going on. But it is.

Much like the board game in Jumanji.. that shirt needs to be crated, buried and never worn again. If it sells on EBay, how many more rockers will surely meet their end in helicopters and limos leaving the gig?

Do not sell it on EBay.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

If I didn't laugh at myself, I wouldn't be laughing at all... seriously, I'm only another hapless fool who's managed to survive due to dumb luck alone. Note my use of the term "gyratin'" -- that kinda captures it. My "dancing" is basically a public safety issue...Getting a load of shit is the only attention I get these days, might as well man up and take it!

I see there are no tix on sale for TTB 2022 Rocks, yet? When I looked for 2021, the prices were sky-high and all from scalpers. I'd love to make a plan to meet up, but getting tix or committing to ridiculous prices is not in my playbook. I thought of going up day of show with a little cash and seeing what I could do. Gotta admit, I can no longer spend a day on the stairs and then race to the best GA seats. I did that for decades and I'm done with the scrum. Plus, unfortunately, GA has been moved back to beyond Row 20 so they can get more $$ for the first 20 rows from fan club peeps, etc. Fuck that! It's a public park and now it's just another whorehouse, governed by whichever promoter scum is working a particular show. Not that I'm bitter or anything.....

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

I was on another dead-based wedsite and someone mentioned that if you go to Target online and enter "Grateful Dead" in the search box a bunch of Dick's Picks & Road Trips pop up and they have a buy two get one free sale going on right now...I went and looked and sure enough they were there...gonna spend my Xmas $ a bit early I guess....

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

...get their copy of DaP 40 yet? Mine usually take about two weeks to arrive, but this one still hasn't shown. Just looking for a little confirmation that I'm not the only one (or that I am the only one and should be worried about missing out on this wonderful set of shows).

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by ShaggyFraggle

Worth a listen
Missouri

Then the vveerryy next night they played a bunch at Fillmore East

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I received mine here in Southern Ontario after about ten-twelve days of shipping/sitting gathering dust at Customs. This one was slower than most of the other releases, likely due to the inertia that is the Customs folks. Good luck on receiving it, but perhaps it’s time to call in the “A Team” > MaryE.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

Turkeys,
Hope ya have a grateful day!
Remember to be thankful for something!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

May your bird be moist and your martinis dry!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Last 5: 1) 2/27/69, 2)Louisana Fog, Charlie Musslewhite, 3) 5/2/70, 4) Best of Muddy Waters, 5)3/1/69. Last 5 beers. Old Rasputin

I am thankful for the GD that is available

There are some jams that got away, though

7 14 70 has a sweet jam going in good lovin when about 2 to 3 minutes into said jam....middle of closing lyrics

11 20 70 The Other One....

4 7 71

Set 2 of 1 22 71

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Chuy's Tape Box Vol 1 - Los Lobos Live In Santa Barbara '84 (Concert Merch Table Only Item)
Ava Mendoza - New Spells
Brother Jack McDuff & Bill Jennings - Four Classic Albums
Southern Bred Vol 8 Texas R&B Rockers
Dance Craze - The Best Of British Ska ... LIVE!

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Wouldn't you know it, I checked the mail today and Dave's 40 finally arrived. I suspected it might show up the moment I put my inquiry out to the universe. But I also just relocated to Montreal (doing a postdoc at Dave's alma mater) and it takes twice as long to get anything done here. Or maybe that extra disc just weighed down the postal service.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html