• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Sabbath were the third band I ever saw live ( T.Rex and David Bowie being the first two)- in March 1973 at a gig later released in part on the "Live At Last" album. I was a few days shy of my 16th birthday...and I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. T.Rex and Bowie were good but this was of a different order entirely. A sound big and bad enough to blow down a factory, and so loud my ears didn't recover for days. Curiously, considering the nature of their lyrics, it remains on of the most joyous concerts I have ever attended - a real celebration.

Their sound, along with Hawkwind's, defined my teenage days - but I stopped listening to metal when punk arrived on the scene in 1976. The year I got into Dead albums too, as it goes. I saw Sabbath for the final time, and the first time since 1975, in 2017.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Just getting to my 2nd listen to Dave’s 40, and my God!! From an unashamed 67-72 biased listener, the 2nd set from 7-18 just truly blew my mind. A little disappointed in LLR, but starting with Terrapin, this is seriously exploratory and free flowing stuff!!
Jam thru Space really pricked up my ears. I hesitate to say (but it may be so), this could be my all-time favorite drums/space, despite it being on the short side(which come to think of it, is a feature, not a detriment). Then into a wobbly but fascinating Other One, and straight into Dew(which as we all know is NEVER bad), then The Weight as an encore??
Brilliant I say. And as I truly have stated previously, I’ll take a great show from ANY era.
Sometimes the 2nd(or 3rd,4th,5th) listen reveals something not heard upon first listen.

Regarding Black Sabbath, I loved this band from the get, and purchased day of release copies of L.P.‘s 5-8. I know cocaine clouded #’s 5&6, but I still love SBS and Sabotage, every track. To each their own absolutely, but man for me, they still hold up. And while I listened to Technical Ecstasy very few times upon release, the new box gave me a much greater appreciation for even album #7. Post Ozzy however, I definitely fell off the bandwagon. Hoping to hear Dave talk about #42 prior to the cutoff of early bird pricing next week.

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....I fucked that up.
Saw Ozzy three times though.
My favorite is Master Of Reality for those keeping score. Their first record is a very close second. That release was groundbreaking back then. 🤘

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today……

November 12, 1971
San Antonio Civic Auditorium, San Antonio, Texas

Set 1: Truckin'-Loser-Beat It On Down The Line-Sugaree-Jack Straw-Tennessee Jed-El Paso-Brown Eyed Women-Mexicali Blues-Black Peter-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Ramble On Rose-Me & My Uncle-Cryptical Envelopment>drums>The Other One> Cryptical Envelopment reprise>Big Railroad Blues-Sugar Magnolia-Casey Jones-Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to claney, fadedin7, Chris Grand, rodrigodiaz, twoxdad, deadegad, Eric3000, Forward, Dennis, and dharwin, because of the persistence of memory….

After the pandemonium of Atlanta the Dead rebound quite nicely here in San Antonio. A longer show, with a looser feel, a minimum of technical difficulties, and nice Texas-via-Bakersfield flavors. The second set includes a massive, 21 minute Other One that ranges from soft and spacey to raucous and rockin’. What some might call “a nice little show”, definitely underrated and worth a listen!

We have deep depth…..

Rock on!!

Doc
It gets late early out there……

I saw Sabbath twice live.. once with the imposter singer and that was the end for me.

Then Mac Sabbath came along with hits like "Pair-a-Buns" (Paranoid), "Frying Pan" (Iron Man), "More Ribs" (War Pigs), "Sweet Beef" (Sweet Leaf). Their videos on YouTube are hilarious. Makes Kiss make up look like amateur hour. More Ribs!.. a riot.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Does this one not have the usual booklet included?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It figures! I get an outrageously low numbered edition, 125, and the booklet is missing!
I sure hope Dead.net has some extras.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yikes! Send me a PM and I'll get the Doc on the case.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by marye

Are meaningless. They randomly grad them off a shelf, slip them into the shipping bag/carton, slap a computer generated sticker with your mailing info, and send them off to shipping.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

On visuals...2001 a space odyssey

Cool

Fantastic film

Big Brother 1966 soundtrack

One hour later:

Ooooold school psychedelia: The Great Society

Grace Slick...very early

1966 Grace Slick, with 1968 Eva Gabor

Now THAT'S a sammich

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It was interesting seeing Sabbath in 2017 after a gap of ...just counting.....42 years. One thing that was a very striking difference was how many people dressed up in 2017 - all in black, leather, purple makeup, cloaks etc - men and women - the whole Halloween trip. In the 1970s, people who went were just in their regular street clothes, and the crowd didnt look any different from ones who went to see other bands in this freak sub culture.

Maybe it's a bit like that with a lot of bands, as they become more mainstream. I don't recall the people at Winterland 1974, as seen on the dvd, dressing up in Grateful Dead tee shirts or tye dyes so much. In 1981, when I did see them, the crowd didnt dress up much either - not like they did in 1990.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Volume One: October
Author: David Cain

Has anyone read this book? I don’t recall it being mentioned here, but I may have missed it. I know there is a library of Dead books, but this one is concerned only with what was played well on such and such date.
He covers highlights from Dead shows throughout their history, focussing on October. No set lists, more a recap of memorable shows, jams, highlights, etc. Similar to what Doc does here, but no set list recaps. I just started it, but so far it is pretty decent. I’m assuming the other eleven months will follow, in turn.

Unrelated: A shoutout to Sherry at Dead.net Customer Service for her assistance on getting me Number 40. Truly impressive!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hi All! I am just checking in quickly. I am in Vegas and competed in my jiu jitsu tournament. My performance was satisfactory...However the performances on DaP 40 are wonderful. I just have to comment that not only is DaP 40 a great change of pace (from the St. Louis box), both shows are well played. I have really enjoyed listening to them, and I really appreciate these releases. I feel like Dave L. and crew try their best to think about what we want, but they also know what we need but we may not ask for. Its a great thing and it makes me feel like we are such good hands.

Oss!
Peace!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

That Mike - looks worth checking out, thanks for the heads up. October was one of the best months for The Dead, so it's a great one to kick the series off with.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

has passed away, age 80. A great percussionist who had a really dreamy voice. As always "there you go man, keep as cool as you can, face piles of trials with smiles, it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free".
Back in 1968, I heard my very first taste of their music I asked the man at the record store, I want some good music to trip by, he of course said Hendrix and Cream and the Beatles and I said, "Heard them, what else you got" and he said try these guys out, The Moody Blues. Never heard of them before and he turned me on to the Threshold of a Dream lp. Legend of a Mind had been on the radio and I heard it the first time from a freak playing it on his six string in the parking lot at high school, in the cigarette smoking area. Fell in love with them then and have followed them all their career. Their first 7 lps are their best, with Strange Times from 1999 being their last great lp. Get some and RIP to a great drummer and vocalist.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Daverock - If you get the book, let me know your thoughts. It’s not high brow, but a nice, casual read.

G/Han - Nice job on the tournament. Lots of great Dead music to listen to now to unwind.

Sorry to hear about Grahame Edge - I have not played the Moodys in years, but definitely a blast from the past.

Been selected to go for jury selection. The last time I got this gig, I just missed getting on the jury for some pos that fatally “hurt” his girlfriend’s child. No thanks.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!!

Believe it or not, The Moody Blues was my first concert ever, the old Boston Garden, March 1972. Still have my ticket stub....

Strong acid, Tuesday Afternoon..................

Off to morgue,

Doc
Along the coast you'll hear them boast
About a light they say that shines so clear.
So raise your glass, we'll drink a toast
To the little man who sells you thrills along the pier.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I just woke up thinking I needed to play Seventh Sojourn by The Moody Blues.
Weird synchronicity.
Cheers

There's a leafless tree in Asia
Under the sun there's a homeless man
There's a forest fire in the valley
Where the story all began
We are all we've got
You and me just cannot fail

COP26 climate summit?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Check out Rosie McGee's forthcoming book of 400 GD pics. A Kickstarter campaign ends in two days.

If you have not read her memoir or seen her pics, you'll be blown away.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The one and only time that I saw the Moody Blues live. I was distinctly underwhelmed. My brother had their albums but I never got into them. I always found their sound a bit lightweight and wishy-washy. Just my take on them.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

our first "major" legitimate rock 'n' roll concert, its date, and its proximity to our first GD show? That is, while we're waiting to find out what DP 42 w/ bonus disc will be.

Mine is easy. First rock show: May 1971 Chambers Brothers, South Mountain Arena, West Orange, NJ.
Second: May 1972, New York Rock 'n' Roll Ensemble, The Byrds, State University of New York, New Paltz, NY. (My friend's older brother turned us on to killer joints.)
First GD show: 19 Sept '72, Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ. (I turned 15 yrs old 33 days prior. Had an ounce of blond hash in my pocket.)

Recently looked at the Setlist Program, so my first show began with "Bertha." Looked at a boot of my last show, 12 June 1992, and the last song played was "Attics of My Life" -- probably a rare occurrence.

I know Billy the Kidd got going early. Anyone interested in sharing their first R 'n' R experiences?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

it was played at 48 shows in the GD's career. (Don't you just love databases??)

First time: May '70
Stopped playing it 10-28-72.
Resumed playing it 10-9-89 and performed it irregularly til the end.

I've said it before, but looking back always amuses me, my first GD show seemed to go on interminably. That would be a good thing today, but when I was freshly 15, I thought after nearly three hours in a windswept minor league baseball stadium, "Okay, I'm good anytime you f*&%$*! want to call it a night!"

I hope forensicdoc doesn't mind me telling this one: he told me that at his first show, after a lengthy first set, he and his buddy left, figuring the show was over!

Stories, anyone?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Sunday 12-9-90 at the later Compton Terrace I had to leave before the encore to make it to a Christmas party. Walking out and thinking this was a weird venue, way out south of town on the reservation and just dry lawn everywhere, and I could see the huge dust cloud from all the dancing feet that was almost thick enough to block the view of the stage, they hit it on the head with Brokedown Palace. I sang it with them all the way to the car.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....just like 1stshow70878, my buddy and I had to leave that Compton show early as well to catch a flight. I also recall that dust cloud from dancing heads. Maybe we we walking out together at the same time??
Actually, we were running. Barely made it to our flight on time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Goes to show, you just never know. I love small world stories. It also is part of the we are everywhere story line.
Nicer vibe in the parking lot on the reservation. Very relaxed. No authorities present.
I should have hung out. The X-mas party was a bore. But what wouldn't be after a Dead show.
Cheers!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

First show: The Beatles - Portsmouth Guildhall December 3, 1963
First GD show: Bickershaw Festival May 7, 1972 (Europe '72 tour)

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Thanks HF! I placed an order/donated to the cause, and since it reached its goal, look forward to a signed copy coming around the time Dave's Volume 1 Vinyl and Dave's 42 and Bonus Disc drop.

Just finished my first foray in Dave's 40, and the sound quality I thought was great. The DAT was super clean. I don't really get Phil's tone at that time, but it's okay. Hilarious to me that if Bob Weir heard that Jack Straw opener from the 19th tonight, he'd tell himself to slow it waaaaaaaaay down. They play that one like Let it Grow. Overall a better release than I thought it might be. Foolish Heart is a favorite of mine, nice to see it make it into the series. Would like a good So Many Roads or Days Between for a later era Pick. The So Many Roads from 10/1/94 Boston in 30 Trips is just gorgeous. If they ever choose a show with Unbroken Chain, here's hoping for 3/23/95 Charlotte. A good show in a less than year.

Surprised Dave's 1 vinyl took so long to sell out. I would imagine the continued availability of 2/28/69 on vinyl contributes to the delay on releasing 3/1/69. And why 2/28 remains available is a mystery, 5 LPs with Morning Dew, 20 min That's It For The Other One, 20 min Dark Star, St Stephen> The Eleven, Alligator and Caution. And Lovelight and Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, King Bee, Doin' That Rag.

Hey Hendrixfreak,

Thanks for sharing the stories all. They are great.

First concert for me was Billy Joel at the St. Paul Civic Center in I believe 81. The Glass Houses Tour. My Dad took me and a buddy. Saw Prince and the Revolution at Civic Center in 84, Purple Rain Tour.
86 was my first Dead shows, I was 15. The Metrodome. It was Dylan, The Dead and Tom Petty. The sound quality in the dome was terrible but it was great to be there. Two days later we went to Alpine, and that is where the worm turned. Three of us slept in the back of my buddies small SUV.

Two weeks after that Jerry slipped into a Coma. If you recall, we thought that might be it. Thank God it wasn't and what a run to 95.
Be well.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Evening, rockers!!

Some things you just never forget................

HF remembers correctly. What I affectionally refer to as my "first half show".

We had been to a handful of concerts, but when it came to the Dead we were green like Kermit. Some how we scored tickets for the Decemeber 1, 1973 show at the Boston Music Hall, a great old time theater where we saw some awesome stuff over the years...........

Here were the issues:
First, neither of us had a car. So we had to take the trolley in from Newton. Which meant that afterwards, if we wanted to get home, we had to get on board before the trolley shut down for the night.
Second, we were in the absolute last row of the balcony, as far from the stage as you could be and still be inside.
Third, the fungus was among us. Some of the best psilocybin ever. That made it a swirly sensory overload.

And so yes, after the first set, we really couldn't hear Weir's set break announcement, and foolishly we had to get home, so we bolted. LOL never did that again!!!

Seems like so very long ago now. I got my first China Rider and a Let It Grow. Tennesse Jed and Casey Jones had a very appealing sing-along quality to them. I didn't get on the bus that night---that happened next summer in Providence---but it was a night to remember...............

Charlie Miller did do a pretty good remaster of this one, which includes the soundcheck, and while it's a little overshadowed by the shows immediately before and after, it's worth a listen...........

Rock on!! And don't forget!!

Doc
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

All I can say is that these shows are really, really good.

Maybe that's not all. The Terrapin from the first night is truly sick. They just didn't want to stop playing, and they kept coming up with new twists. The Morning Dew is as good as it got during this era. The 2nd night starts off with a great Jack Straw and never lets up. Too many highlights to list.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

The Beatles in 63, nice! Bet that was something.
HF always entertaining and reminiscent of the glory daze.
Doc, too funny, thanks for sharing!

Nothing historic here, but good sheet none the less!
First was a huge obsession early on between my BF then and myself with the Beatles, but alas we couldn’t see them. And I was way into Hendrix in HS, but couldn’t see him. And I had a ticket to Zepplin later, but that show got cancelled.
So as many 15 year olds would do back then, I went to a band that was all over the radio. Here’s my first dozen to illustrate that I’d go to pretty much anything I could until the full, GD addiction took hold.
1/25/78 Kiss
7/28/78 Bob Welch, Pablo Cruise, Foreigner, and Fleetwood Mac (Stevie like a goddess!)
10/16/78 Uriah Heap, Jethro Tull
1/20/79 Grateful Dead third row at small theater)
1/24/79 Rush (10th row, might have been 1980?)
6/1/79 Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton (Muddy waters should have been the headliner!)
6/7/79 Supertramp
7/23/79 Triumph (at the Philharmonic hall, first song flash pots almost ended the show lol)
10/15/79 the Eagles
11/9/79 Grateful Dead
12/3/79 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, and the OutLaws
12/4/79 the Who (day after Cincinnati, very powerful)

By this point it was only opportunity that would keep me from seeing the Dead as much as reasonably possible for the next 15 years! Aaaaaaa the good ole daze!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

No one leaves a Dead show early, unless the woman you're trying to meet up with is pretty special. :)

First concert--Culture Club in 1983 at the Met Center in Bloomington, MN. The Dead played there a few times.

Oro--Foreigner and Jethro Tull were my favorite bands in high school. Still love listening to both bands' early albums.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today……..

November 14, 1971
Daniel-Meyer Coliseum, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, , Texas

Set 1: Bertha-Beat It On Down The Line-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-El Paso-Sugaree-Jack Straw-Big Railroad Blues-Me And Bobby McGee-Loser-Playing In The Band-Tennessee Jed-You Win Again-Mexicali Blues-Casey Jones-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Truckin'>drums>The Other One>Me And My Uncle>The Other One>Wharf Rat-Sugar Magnolia-Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to Matt's_On_The_Way, boblopes, Hoopsie, lowspark75, muleskinner_blues, Gary Farseer, DaveStrang, Guss West, Ridin that Train, and Coconut Phil, because gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind….

This show was relatively unknown until it was partially released as part of the Road Trips series in February 2010, and now, eleven years later, one still hears very little about it.

The 16 song first set, one of the longest of the year, is very fine, with major Bakersfield flavors. Nice early first set China/Rider. Serious dose of country-western-Weir material. The first live version of Hank Williams’ You Win Again, a cover song I always enjoyed. I thought Garcia did it well………..

The second set is slightly shorter, with a more convoluted Other One than in San Antonio , with the somewhat typical Other One/MAMU/Other One sandwich leading into Wharf Rat.

Very solid show, underrated, definitely worth checking out!

Rock on!!

Doc!!
No matter how I struggle and strive, I'll never get out of this world alive…..

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

T.Rex May 1972 - the concert had to be called to a halt after about 20 minutes as hundreds of hot panted, screaming girls were getting crushed at the front of the stage. Bolan came back on, played a few acoustic songs then reverted to rock n' roll and more mayhem. I'd never heard anything so loud in all my life.

David Bowie December 1972 - a much cooler affair at Manchester Hardrock - hippie type people sitting on the floor gazing at the future.

Early 1973 - Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Genesis and in September... The Stones.

I first saw The Dead in March 1981 at The Rainbow in London, by which time I felt like my wild years were behind me, to some extent with a sensible haircut, job-all that baloney. I knew what I was doing by then. Or thought I did. Little did I know. Anyway - what had turned me on to them were the albums - Anthem and American Beauty particularly - so the show didn't really reflect why I liked them. Still enjoyed it though. It all seemed very civilised!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

'74 Feyline's Sun Day #1 ABB, Marshall Tucker, Steve Miller, Elvin Bishop, Wet Willie all day event at Mile High.
Too hot to really enjoy it after 5 bands.
'74 Lynyrd Skynyrd at Ebbet's Field, a small club in downtown Denver.
This is the one with the 27 minute Free Bird and I think every song from their first two albums. Smokin'!!!
$5 at the door and two drink minimum. Underage stamp got us $2.50 ea. soda back when a soda was $0.25.
Got talked into going by a friend (RIP Dave N.) who was learning to play guitar but had no car.
'75-'76 Eagles at Red Rocks, Bob James and the CTI (label) Jazz Allstars at Red Rocks, Elton John, Yes w/ Gentle Giant, ELP, B.B. King, Les McCann, Ramsey Lewis, Herbie Hancock, The Jazz Crusaders, and every free show Colo. State Univ. put on at the lagoon.
And it was uphill from there.

DHB: There were no hotties at the X-mas party ( I had mine at home) but as a new employee I didn't want to show up in the middle of dinner. It was hard to focus coming down as I remember. Only one cool fellow employee surmised my state of consciousness after hearing I had come from the Dead show.

Edit: HF, agreed it is pretty hard to beat '63 Beatles! And I love the N.Y. Rock Ensemble, Freedom Burger and what was the other one on my early tape, Let It Rock? I was taping cassettes of everyone's albums to save money and I had a car deck too. My first TEAC had a separate little black Dolby box.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Great stories, gentlemen. I'm voting for Simonrob -- first show, the freakin' Beatles in '63. No one's gonna top that.

Okay, pal: spill! We want stories and we want them NOW!

I got my first Beatles album in 1964. Begged my mom to buy it for me. My folks had a very old mono turntable, an unhoused tube amp and a giant piece of furniture my dad called "Lenin's Tomb." It had a 12" speaker. I'd put the Beatles on low volume and sit by the speaker and rock out. I was 6-7 yrs old. Maybe February '65 a President's Day sale made handheld transistor radios available for like $10. I BEGGED my dad to buy us one and he did. At that point, the Stones and Beatles and Motown ruled the airwaves, despite, yes, the one-hit wonders making the charts.

Okay, Simonrob, start talkin'!!!!!!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

May 1972 - CCR @ MSG - AWESOME!! (Saw John Fogerty last night. This guy still brings it and his voice is strong!)

First Dead show, 3/23/73 @ the Buffalo Aud - great Tennessee Jed & Casey Jones - NRPS opened

I got a late start compared to others.

7-4-87 Jimmy Buffett
9-12-87 David Bowie
9-25-87 Pink Floyd
(Summer 88 - pause due to DUI legal issues)
10-6-88 B.B. King
4-6-89 GD (still on probation for the DUI)
7-17-89 GD
7-25-89 Who
11-6-89 Jethro Tull
12-9-89 Rolling Stones
3-8-90 Rush
3-25-90 The Guess Who
6-16-90 Steve Miller
6-24-90 David Bowie
7-1-90 Jimmy Buffett
7-21-90 GD
7-22-90 GD
8-18-90 Santana
8-25-90 Allman Brothers
10-28-90 Fleetwood Mac

I was benefitting from the nostalgia/reunion tours of the Classic Rock bands I had been listening to through the 80’s.
I picked up momentum from there.

Got an Attics Of My Life 9-10-93:
Space>Wheel>Watchtower>Attics>NFA.
Had mail order tix row 21 floor Jerry side.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I saw an acoustics Attics on 9/24/94 at the B.C.T. Lesh, Weir, Garcia, & Welnick. I was at the S.F. Blues festival earlier in the day, and we ate at Everett & Jones BBQ that night, big fun.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The December 1963 appearance by The Beatles was their second visit to the venue that year, having played there in March. They were due to play in November but Paul McCartney was ill so it was rescheduled in December. My brother and I, together with two sisters that we knew went to the show. My mum was good enough to take us. It was more a visual experience than an aural one. The PA was the utterly inadequate house PA and the band used small amp/speaker combos (Vox AC 30?). Most sound was totally drowned out by screaming girls who were also busy throwing jelly baby sweets at the band. It was easy to see the band as the hall was small, having a capacity of around 3000. I can't remember exactly but I understand that the boys played a standard 10 song set on that tour so it must have been a pretty short show. The setlist for that tour comprised: I saw her standing there, From me to you, All my loving, You really got a hold on me, Roll over Beethoven, Boys, Till there was you, She loves you, Money (that's what I want) and Twist and shout.

I saw many shows at the Guildhall over the following years up until the late 1970s. In 1969 The Mothers of Invention had the dubious distinction of being the first act to be banned from the venue. Their shows were apparently lewd and unsuitable for general public consumption. Unfortunately I only found out about their shows after the event. I did get to see them the following year at another event. Also at the Guildhall, in early 1972 the Pink Floyd played the complete Dark side of the moon for the first time. It is alleged that they played the complete thing a few days earlier along the coast in Brighton but due to equipment problems they were unable to play it in its entirety. The Tubes had the honour of being banned by the City Council before they ever got to the Guildhall. They were scheduled to play on Remembrance Sunday 1977, the day that Brits honour their war dead. Portsmouth is a major navy city having a large dockyard so the day is extensively honoured in the city. Members of the Council had heard rumours about The Tubes, so a delegation was sent to an earlier gig to check 'em out. They were sufficiently unimpressed to ban the band there and then. Mrs. Elsie Fudge (63), a magistrate, said that the sex scenes were totally unnecessary although the music was good. I was going to see them so I was not happy. I managed to see them at Knebworth the following year.

Fortunately the Guildhall was not the only venue in town, the South Parade Pier being the best of them all. I saw some great gigs there, right up until it burnt down in 1974 during the filming of Tommy.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Thx Simonrob, a most illuminating post. I wondered if the girls were screaming at Beatles shows that early. And the Jelly Beans... (from an impromptu remark by George Harrison, I believe).

And the truly classic British-isms: "lewd and unsuitable for general public consumption" Yes! The definition of rock 'n' roll, no? And ... Commissioner "Elsie Fudge"?? You can't make up this stuff.

And Icecreamed.... attending a GD show on probation, way to go! I too attended GD shows ('85 Red Rocks) while freshly released from jail on a cultivation bust that summer.

At one time, I had every ticket stub from every show from 1971 til whenever I decided that a paper trail was foolishness and over the top and tossed them. Like when I was ~14 and sold off every electric album I owned (except Hendrix) and kept only acoustic music. A few months later, having regained a semblance of sanity, I had to buy back dozens of LPs to recreate a budding record collection. Seems to be a theme in my life. This fall I'm defenestrating the entire house, keeping only my backpacking and paddling gear, my books, my CDs and my guitars (five acoustic, five electric). The rest goes to trash or Habitat for Humanity, including one Alvarez acoustic.

Ah, the good old daze ride again!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html